PDA

View Full Version : #10 Illinois State @ #4 South Dakota State

CappinHard
November 5th, 2019, 10:28 AM
SDSU favored by 17.5... seems high. I know they just lost by 17 at home to UNI, but that game was much closer before ISUr's 4th quarter pants s***ting. If J'Bore was playing, I could maybe justify this line, but there's still just too much unknown with Heide still getting his feet wet.

Lorne_Malvo
November 5th, 2019, 10:36 AM
-17.5 seems reasonable. NDSU beat them by 34, UNI by 17, Salukis by 14...

Professor Chaos
November 5th, 2019, 10:36 AM
Agreed, 17.5 does seem high mainly because I don't see either team scoring a ton of points. I think SDSU's defense will outclass Illinois St's offense much more than vice versa so I expect the Jacks to thoroughly control the game even if they "only" win by 1 or 2 scores.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49019370841_c1050ccc06_o.jpg

Illinois St beat SIU by 14 not the other way around

Lorne_Malvo
November 5th, 2019, 10:46 AM
Illinois St beat SIU by 14 not the other way around

My mistake, memory is not as good as it used to be.

Professor Chaos
November 5th, 2019, 10:57 AM
My mistake, memory is not as good as it used to be.
They did lose to Northern Illinois by 14... lots of directional Illinois schools and Illinois St plays them all this year. It was mentioned in the MVFC thread but a pretty unbelieve quirk in scheduling had Illinois St play every one of their first 9 games within the state. When they play in Brookings on Saturday it will have been 364 days since they last played a game outside the state of Illinois (@Indiana St in week 11 of last year).

Lorne_Malvo
November 5th, 2019, 11:07 AM
They did lose to Northern Illinois by 14... lots of directional Illinois schools and Illinois St plays them all this year. It was mentioned in the MVFC thread but a pretty unbelieve quirk in scheduling had Illinois St play every one of their first 9 games within the state. When they play in Brookings on Saturday it will have been 364 days since they last played a game outside the state of Illinois (@Indiana St in week 11 of last year).

That is pretty crazy.

X-Factor
November 5th, 2019, 11:08 AM
Is it High, yes. But probably justified. ISU’s offense is hot garbage outside of Robinson. SDSUs quality DL and LBs will likely shut him down. Game over. Doubt SDSU score much at all but they won’t need to. Pick the under

Bison56
November 5th, 2019, 11:11 AM
If there was a poll I would vote.

CappinHard
November 5th, 2019, 11:57 AM
If there was a poll I would vote.

Done

Redbird 4th & short
November 5th, 2019, 12:07 PM
hey !!! we beat Salukis by 14 !!!

UNI was a TO disaster .. had a nice game going up until 1st of 4 TOs on last drive of 1st half at midfield .. then coughed it up 3 more times on last 3 drives Q4, all 3 inside our own 25. Give their defendse some credit ... but fact is, our offense has serious confidence (i.e. mental) issues. I'm convince Spack has very short leash on our OC and QB. We came out nicely, threw the pick at end of half, and offense goes into collective panic. Doesn't help at all that were still missing our top 2 receivers in what is a very young group .. 5 of top 6 were all FR and SO, but we're never going to hang with big boys playing scared on offense.

Give credit to UNI .. tough defense and I like their QB .. very comfortable in pocket and legit dual threat. Our guy outplayed their guy 1st half, we had him on his heels 1st half. But UNI QB hung tough and trajectories completely reversed 2nd half .. we played scared, UNI QB kept plugging away. As RS FR, he should be a good one .. he seems mentally tough and got some talent.

Here is the TO fest .. 4 TOs, 1 at midfield resulted in TD. 3 more in red zone in Q4, our defense held UNI to 2 of 3 FGs .. 13 points off TOs and we lost by 17 ... not that we were moving the ball much 2nd half, but 4 TOs in 8 drives is just a bit much.

UNI
2nd
I47
00:53
Interception
I00
00:11
TOUCHDOWN
5-47
0:42
#

UNI
3rd
U17
13:04
Punt
I43
07:02

Punt
10-40
6:02

UNI
3rd
U30
00:00
Punt
U30
04:07

Fumble
0-0
0:00

UNI
3rd
U35
00:49
Kickoff
I00
11:00
TOUCHDOWN
9-65
4:49

UNI
4th
I08
10:42
Interception
I05
08:31
FIELD GOAL
4-3
2:11
#

UNI
4th
I24
08:13
Fumble
I15
05:48
FIELD GOAL
4-9
2:25
#

UNI
4th
I21
05:33
Interception
I09
01:30

Missed FG
6-12
4:03
#

Paladin1aa
November 5th, 2019, 12:20 PM
I see SDSU D control this game. Don’t know about 17 pts. But 14 looks doable. Didn’t ISUr lose both WRs to season ending injuries ?

CappinHard
November 5th, 2019, 12:40 PM
Agreed, 17.5 does seem high mainly because I don't see either team scoring a ton of points. I think SDSU's defense will outclass Illinois St's offense much more than vice versa so I expect the Jacks to thoroughly control the game even if they "only" win by 1 or 2 scores.

This is my take exactly. It will be tight at half, SDSU's run game will wear down their defense in the second half. Strong goes for 100+ again (maybe 150+ because CJ Wilson could be out). Hope to see Heide take another step forward and gain more confidence. He looked good against MSU, but that's MSU. ISUr will be a true test for him, especially if we get behind somehow.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 5th, 2019, 12:45 PM
SDSU covers this spread.

PSJ will go for over 200 in this game. The Jacks OL is very good and the Jacks defense will be able to bottle up Robinson. When Rozeboom can run a 4.5 - 4.6 sideline to sideline, Robinson is going to have trouble getting significant yards and Davis is not a good QB.

SDSU pounds Ill State like the Bison did.

The UNI/SDSU game next week is huge. Winner is a 3-4 seed depending on how Weber finishes the year.

clenz
November 5th, 2019, 12:58 PM
hey !!! we beat Salukis by 14 !!!

UNI was a TO disaster .. had a nice game going up until 1st of 4 TOs on last drive of 1st half at midfield .. then coughed it up 3 more times on last 3 drives Q4, all 3 inside our own 25. Give their defendse some credit ... but fact is, our offense has serious confidence (i.e. mental) issues. I'm convince Spack has very short leash on our OC and QB. We came out nicely, threw the pick at end of half, and offense goes into collective panic. Doesn't help at all that were still missing our top 2 receivers in what is a very young group .. 5 of top 6 were all FR and SO, but we're never going to hang with big boys playing scared on offense.

Give credit to UNI .. tough defense and I like their QB .. very comfortable in pocket and legit dual threat. Our guy outplayed their guy 1st half, we had him on his heels 1st half. But UNI QB hung tough and trajectories completely reversed 2nd half .. we played scared, UNI QB kept plugging away. As RS FR, he should be a good one .. he seems mentally tough and got some talent.

Here is the TO fest .. 4 TOs, 1 at midfield resulted in TD. 3 more in red zone in Q4, our defense held UNI to 2 of 3 FGs .. 13 points off TOs and we lost by 17 ... not that we were moving the ball much 2nd half, but 4 TOs in 8 drives is just a bit much.

UNI
2nd
I47
00:53
Interception
I00
TOUCHDOWN
5-47
0:42
#

UNI
3rd
U17
13:04
Punt
I43
07:02

Punt
10-40
6:02

UNI
3rd
U30
00:00
Punt
U30
04:07

Fumble
0-0
0:00

UNI
3rd
U35
Kickoff
I00
TOUCHDOWN
9-65
4:49

UNI
4th
I08
10:42
Interception
I05
FIELD GOAL
4-3
2:11
#

UNI
4th
I24
08:13
Fumble
I15
FIELD GOAL
4-9
2:25
#

UNI
4th
I21
05:33
Interception
I09
01:30

Missed FG
6-12
4:03
#

What's missing on that is Farley with a lead in the 4th wasn't about to throw the ball, which outside of the first 5 passes of the game, ISUr didn't do much to stop with UNI. Will started 0-5 with 3 drops in that time. After that he was 14-23 for 189 yards and 3 TD.

Farley went into clock killing mode because he knew your offense couldn't/wouldn't move the ball. There was no jugular shot through the air - which they would have gotten. Look at those last 3 drives

That isn't me making excuses...look at the plays

Nick McCabe dive
Nick McCabe dive
Will McElvain off tackle
FG

Nick McCabe dive
Nick McCabe dive
Nick McCabe dive
FG

Nick McCabe dive
Nick McCabe dive
Nick McCabe dive
Nick McCabe dive (5 yard formation penalty)
Nick McCabe dive
Nick McCabe dive
FGA

Nick McCabe is a true freshman that is our 3rd back thrust into action due to our top 3 RBs (2 in game 1 from the NDSU game) being out injured.

Farley was up and literally just killing the game. The way that game was going UNI could have done to ISUr what NDSU did

Look at the drives when UNI was throwing the ball
Incomplete pass
3 yard run
15 yard pass
4 yard run
4 yard run
10 yard pass
7 yard run
1 yard run
27 yard pass TD

Your only points in the second half came after UNI muffed a punt inside their own 30. In the third quarter you had drives of -2 17 and 13 yards. You had 30 total yards of offense in the third quarter.

That last drive from UNI I post closed the third quarter and took the game to the 11 minute left mark in the game. UNI was up by 2 scores with 11 minutes left against a team that had 4 possesions and 30 total yards in the second half to that point where we go into the 3 drives of nothing but dive plays.

7 second half possessions for 42 yards in the second half for ISUr....a quarter of those yards came on the final drive of the game as the clock expired.

If Farley/Will wanted to throw and run the score up they easily could have

SDSU covers easily.

Chalupa Batman
November 5th, 2019, 10:34 PM
I think the spread is about a touchdown too high. I see SDSU keeping their offense pretty conservative, leaning heavy on the run to avoid gifting the Redbirds any points via turnovers. I’m thinking a 23-13 type final in which the Bunnies are always in complete control in spite of the score staying close.

Gil Dobie
November 6th, 2019, 06:14 AM
Did Illinois St defeat SIU?

Asking for a friend.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 6th, 2019, 06:23 AM

Asking for a friend.

And this means what exactly?

clenz
November 6th, 2019, 08:33 AM

Asking for a friend.
Is Illinois State the same team they were a month ago?

ISUr had just a 3 point lead in the 4th quarter against the Sycs and it took a collapse over 4 game minutes by the Sycs to put that game away

It was a 1 score game against WIU in the 4th quarter as well

That Illinois State offense is putrid and rely's sole on James Robinson finding a way to break a long run or two per game for their offense.

In conference games ISU is averaging 17 PPG (a head of only MSU and ISUb...in fact they are closer to ISUb than they are SIU who is 6th)
They are 9th in total offense, just 14 yards away from falling behind MSU for last. 7th place, for reference is 336.
They are dead last in passing offense at 114 yards per game - 9th place is SIU at 154 yards per game (side note so strange to see SIU that low in passing)
Dead last in completion percent - under 50%
Dead last in passing efficiency at 98.7...9th is 110
Dead last in first downs

They don't have an offense with any kind of danger to score, and it's getting worse as the season goes on. They have a slightly plus defense, but to make up for how bad their offense is they need a NDSU level defense and run game, which they don't have.

If they played now I'd put a large sum of money on SIU.

Herdistheword
November 6th, 2019, 08:37 AM
Isn’t it about time for the Bunnies to lose their annual game that they shouldn’t? SDSU is the better team, but I never underestimate the Bunnies ability to shoot their own feet.

Professor Chaos
November 6th, 2019, 08:41 AM
Isn’t it about time for the Bunnies to lose their annual game that they shouldn’t? SDSU is the better team, but I never underestimate the Bunnies ability to shoot their own feet.
I've been trying to talk myself into thinking Illinois St might win this game but I just can't do it.

I think the difference between this year's Bunnies and Bunny teams of the past is they have an elite defense this year. In the past when their offense had a down day their defense didn't have the strength to bow up when they had to at least not for long enough to win a defensive battle... this year is different.

Redbird 4th & short
November 6th, 2019, 09:39 AM
What's missing on that is Farley with a lead in the 4th wasn't about to throw the ball, which outside of the first 5 passes of the game, ISUr didn't do much to stop with UNI. Will started 0-5 with 3 drops in that time. After that he was 14-23 for 189 yards and 3 TD.

Farley was up and literally just killing the game. The way that game was going UNI could have done to ISUr what NDSU did

SDSU covers easily.

You and I watched 2 different games. TOs were most of the story and difference. Yes, we were ultimately outplayed, but we collapsed (along with our offensive confidence) and in the end, it is a close game if not for 4 TOs in our last 8 drives, that led directly to 16 points .. you won by 17. Could you have won by more .. I suppose. But you would have won by less if not for the 4 TOs.

Here is score summary .. it was 14-10 at end of Q3 .... we coughed it up 3 straight times in our own red zone on our last 3 drives from there .. you went 2 of 3 FGs. How you rationalize this was close to what NDSU did to us makes no sense.

1st
03:28
UNI
James, Jaylin 11 yd pass from McElvain,Will (Cook, Matthew kick)

7 plays, 61 yards, TOP 3:28
7 - 0

2nd
14:56
ILS
Haley,Braxton 4 yd pass from Davis,Brady (Fenlason,Sam kick)

9 plays, 66 yards, TOP 3:24
7 - 7

UNI
Lane,Suni 16 yd pass from McElvain,Will (Cook, Matthew kick)

ISU TO ..5 plays, 47 yards, TOP 0:42
14 - 7

3rd
ILS
Fenlason,Sam 34 yd field goal

7 plays, 13 yards, TOP 3:18
14 - 10

4th
UNI
Lane,Suni 27 yd pass from McElvain,Will (Cook, Matthew kick)

9 plays, 65 yards, TOP 4:49
21 - 10

UNI
Cook, Matthew 23 yd field goal

ISU TO .. 4 plays, 3 yards, TOP 2:11
24 - 10

UNI
Cook, Matthew 33 yd field goal

ISU TO .. 4 plays, 9 yards, TOP 2:25
27 - 10

typo edit ... 3 TOs led to 13 pts, 4th TO resulted in missed FG

Thumper 76
November 6th, 2019, 01:22 PM
I’m with Cappin on this. I just don’t see ISUr able to keep their offense on the field enough to stop their defense from getting worn down. This game probably goes like the SIU game where it’s close at half and then SDSU starts hitting big run plays or maybe a big “pass” on the forward shovel jet sweep. CJ Wilson might not go, but the rb room is pretty stacked so I wouldn’t be shocked to see someone have a big game running that nobody knows (Blair or Campbell). Or I wouldn’t be fall over shocked if Heidi has a coming out party in this game. I’m cautiously optimistic going into this one. The UNI game really worries me though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper 76
November 6th, 2019, 01:28 PM
Oh, also, if any Redbird fans are coming out to enjoy the lovely weather with us (looking to be 44 and sunny but be prepped for wind) I recommend checking out the tailgating o the Southwest of the stadium in the Briggs library lot. Feel free to stop by the tailgate flying the AGS flag under their SDSU flag, we’re planning on brisket (first attempt, don’t crucify me over it) xlolx

Redbird 4th & short
November 6th, 2019, 01:35 PM
We usually surprise a really good team or 2 each year. I dont see it happening this game given our offensive skittishness this year.

Maybe Spack realizes we can't win this game playing careful .. and opens things up. I doubt he will but he could. Still down our 2 starting receivers .. so not liking our chances of upset at all. WR Edgar is due back game 10 .. he should give us a lift last 2 games like he did against NAU with 12 catches 130 yards before he was injured late in game.

I dont expect much at SDSU ... our only chance is if your playbook narrows a lot with FR QB playing. If our defense gets going, it can be very dominant at times .. especially if it gets some rest.

Not holding my breath for that ... but its possible ... AGS !!!!

CappinHard
November 6th, 2019, 01:47 PM
I’m with Cappin on this. I just don’t see ISUr able to keep their offense on the field enough to stop their defense from getting worn down. This game probably goes like the SIU game where it’s close at half and then SDSU starts hitting big run plays or maybe a big “pass” on the forward shovel jet sweep. CJ Wilson might not go, but the rb room is pretty stacked so I wouldn’t be shocked to see someone have a big game running that nobody knows (Blair or Campbell). Or I wouldn’t be fall over shocked if Heidi has a coming out party in this game. I’m cautiously optimistic going into this one. The UNI game really worries me though.

It's Heide, not Heidi.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-T-tZRXcAE3F-o.jpg

F'N Hawks
November 6th, 2019, 02:59 PM
Isn't the SDSU offense much less dynamic than it was in the past, though? Defense may be better but the offense seems to be not nearly as good.

Professor Chaos
November 6th, 2019, 03:11 PM
Isn't the SDSU offense much less dynamic than it was in the past, though? Defense may be better but the offense seems to be not nearly as good.
Pass game isn't nearly as explosive but their run game is every bit as good at is has ever been. I liken it to the transformation NDSU made when they lost Wentz in 2015 and went to Easton Stick as a freshman. As in that case I think SDSU's O-line is playing better than it ever has because they're getting a chance to really lean on teams throughout games with the run heavy play calling and they're wearing out opposing defenses in a way previous SDSU offenses never possessed the ball long enough to do.

F'N Hawks
November 6th, 2019, 04:01 PM
Pass game isn't nearly as explosive but their run game is every bit as good at is has ever been. I liken it to the transformation NDSU made when they lost Wentz in 2015 and went to Easton Stick as a freshman. As in that case I think SDSU's O-line is playing better than it ever has because they're getting a chance to really lean on teams throughout games with the run heavy play calling and they're wearing out opposing defenses in a way previous SDSU offenses never possessed the ball long enough to do.

Not sure that sounds like a positive. With a true freshman QB why wouldn't teams just load up vs run now?

Thumper 76
November 6th, 2019, 04:24 PM
Not sure that sounds like a positive. With a true freshman QB why wouldn't teams just load up vs run now?

Heide is good enough to keep teams honest through the air. Come playoff time I wouldn’t be surprised to see him make the passing game pretty scary as well if the game slows down for him.

Also, even when we only had the run game against ndsu SDSU was able to move the ball on the ground. The team might not be as explosive through the air without Gibbs, but I don’t think the offense has dropped off in being dynamic. They still average 33 points per game or thereabouts if I remember correctly. Eck is really good at drawing up some creative run schemes.

Thumper 76
November 6th, 2019, 04:25 PM
It's Heide, not Heidi.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-T-tZRXcAE3F-o.jpg

You win this round....

Professor Chaos
November 6th, 2019, 04:33 PM
NDSU tried that in the 2nd half and SDSU was still getting pretty good gains on the ground. In the parts of their games I've watched they also do a good job using misdirection in the run game to keep the defense guessing. Cade Johnson has had a lot of success running jet sweeps and their read-option game has also been pretty good.

CappinHard
November 6th, 2019, 04:37 PM

Exhibit A: Cade Johnson. The kid is really good, and if you give him too much room to operate, good luck.

Beside him, as Thumper said, while Heide is a freshman, he has shown very good pocket poise and an ability to get the ball downfield accurately. Also, Gibbs was a freshman too, RS Fr yes, but it's not like we went from a senior QB to a freshman. Also, with the way our O line has been playing and with how good Pierre Strong is, I think most teams would have issues stopping the run even with loading up vs the run. We'll see what happens on Saturday, because I'm guessing ISUr may try to do just that.

Thumper 76
November 6th, 2019, 04:43 PM
Exhibit A: Cade Johnson. The kid is really good, and if you give him too much room to operate, good luck.

Beside him, as Thumper said, while Heide is a freshman, he has shown very good pocket poise and an ability to get the ball downfield accurately. Also, Gibbs was a freshman too, RS Fr yes, but it's not like we went from a senior QB to a freshman. Also, with the way our O line has been playing and with how good Pierre Strong is, I think most teams would have issues stopping the run even with loading up vs the run. We'll see what happens on Saturday, because I'm guessing ISUr may try to do just that.

He’ll, I’m 95% sure ISUr will try to force Heide to beat them. Not sure it will be successful for them, but I’m pretty sure they’re going to try that and to make him make quick reads. He’s kinda slow with that right now IMO. First half will be interesting to see if Eck and Co are happy to just try wearing out the Redbird defense and let the D stymie their offense or if they let Keaton loose a bit to make some plays. We’ll see how conservative they get.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see them take a shot off play action right away to make the defense back off for the rest of the game.

Redbird 4th & short
November 8th, 2019, 10:14 AM

They can run and have several very good options. It certainly helps our chances with FR QB .. but only if it skinnies down their playbook. Otherwise their run game is not far behind NDSU.

F'N Hawks
November 8th, 2019, 10:24 AM
They can run and have several very good options. It certainly helps our chances with FR QB .. but only if it skinnies down their playbook. Otherwise their run game is not far behind NDSU.

We'll see what they actually run with him at QB. The tape will be out there soon enough and teams will adjust.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 8th, 2019, 10:43 AM
We'll see what they actually run with him at QB. The tape will be out there soon enough and teams will adjust.

Well considering the Jacks OL is very good, they can lean on them with the running game.

Put Johnson all over the field and get him the ball also. Especially get him in the slot. LBs cannot cover him. If teams go to nickel to try and get a CB on him in the slot, that just opens up the run game even more.

SDSU will steam roll Ill State like the Bison did.

clenz
November 8th, 2019, 11:05 AM
Well considering the Jacks OL is very good, they can lean on them with the running game.

Put Johnson all over the field and get him the ball also. Especially get him in the slot. LBs cannot cover him. If teams go to nickel to try and get a CB on him in the slot, that just opens up the run game even more.

SDSU's run game will be enough to carry them 4 times over in this game. That redbird offense is putrid.

What will be interesting to see is how much gets put out there on film with UNI and our defense coming the next week. I know the NDSU game snowballed in the fourth but that final score/last quarter or so didn't quite reflect how that game played until we lost a bunch of guys to injury and started pressing to make plays.

UNI's run D against that Jacks run O is going to be a good one. He will have to be the X factor that week, so trying to save some film on him would be ideal I'd guess.

Houndawg
November 8th, 2019, 03:06 PM
Is Illinois State the same team they were a month ago?

ISUr had just a 3 point lead in the 4th quarter against the Sycs and it took a collapse over 4 game minutes by the Sycs to put that game away

It was a 1 score game against WIU in the 4th quarter as well

That Illinois State offense is putrid and rely's sole on James Robinson finding a way to break a long run or two per game for their offense.

In conference games ISU is averaging 17 PPG (a head of only MSU and ISUb...in fact they are closer to ISUb than they are SIU who is 6th)
They are 9th in total offense, just 14 yards away from falling behind MSU for last. 7th place, for reference is 336.
They are dead last in passing offense at 114 yards per game - 9th place is SIU at 154 yards per game (side note so strange to see SIU that low in passing)
Dead last in completion percent - under 50%
Dead last in passing efficiency at 98.7...9th is 110
Dead last in first downs

They don't have an offense with any kind of danger to score, and it's getting worse as the season goes on. They have a slightly plus defense, but to make up for how bad their offense is they need a NDSU level defense and run game, which they don't have.

If they played now I'd put a large sum of money on SIU.

Injured QB and and true freshman RB with 13 TDs

Houndawg
November 8th, 2019, 03:08 PM

Don't hold back - SIU would like to be available if the MVFC gets 5 this year

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 8th, 2019, 03:22 PM
Don't hold back - SIU would like to be available if the MVFC gets 5 this year

NDSU
SDSU
UNI

They are locks IMO as of right now.

Ill State will fade out of the playoff picture IMO. I think YSU will have a decent chance also unless the Valley only get 4 in then SIU will be in if they are 7-5 with an FBS win and head/head win over YSU.

If the Valley gets 5 in then the Ill State/YSU game the last week of the season will be for a playoff spot IMO.

Actually I'm looking forward to NDSU/SIU. This will be my 1st year down there. The stadium is nice from what others have said. Plus the game looks to be better compared to earlier in the season.

Derby City Duke
November 8th, 2019, 09:35 PM
Rabbits, 37-10

POD Knows
November 9th, 2019, 08:08 AM
Rabbits 35 ISUr 10. This game won't be close. ISUr is horrid on offense, beyond bad. UNI completely shut down Robinson, as will SDSU.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 9th, 2019, 08:10 AM
What kind of crowd will SDSU get for this?

Will there be 10K there today Jacks fans?

POD Knows
November 9th, 2019, 08:14 AM
What kind of crowd will SDSU get for this?

Will there be 10K there today Jacks fans?I will take the under on 10K. Pretty crappy weather, people still in the fields, NDSU isn't playing down there, it will be under 10,000.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 9th, 2019, 08:21 AM
I will take the under on 10K. Pretty crappy weather, people still in the fields, NDSU isn't playing down there, it will be under 10,000.

Is SD hunting opener today also?

POD Knows
November 9th, 2019, 08:26 AM
Is SD hunting opener today also?I don't think so, they have a weird set-up down there, I think they have different openers depending on where you live or hunt. I think the west river areas start earlier than east river or something. I think they are a week behind Minnesota and ND.

Carolina010
November 9th, 2019, 08:41 AM
No west river opener is next weekend and then East river opener is the following weekend and black hills opener was last weekend. As far as attendance the weather will be great for a November day supposed to get to the mid 40s sunny with not much wind but I will still be surprised if we have north of 10k-11k.

POD Knows
November 9th, 2019, 08:44 AM
No west river opener is next weekend and then East river opener is the following weekend and black hills opener was last weekend. As far as attendance the weather will be great for a November day supposed to get to the mid 40s sunny with not much wind but I will still be surprised if we have north of 10k-11k.Wow, you guys are going to get in the 40's, I need to move to Brookings.xlolx I might change my prediction then, I figured you would have the same weather as Fargo, cold and snow.

JacksFan40
November 9th, 2019, 08:50 AM
I will take the under on 10K. Pretty crappy weather, people still in the fields, NDSU isn't playing down there, it will be under 10,000.
I’d project somewhere around 6-8k. Last year we hosted Missouri State around this time and drew just shy of 6k. Attendance drops quick the later we get into the season.

Redbird 4th & short
November 9th, 2019, 09:39 AM
so in 2017, my #17 ISUr traveled to #5 SDSU .. we started this season 4-0 with some very dominant wins, but showed some cracks in 2nd half of game 4. Then we went to NAU started strong but faded fast in 2d half, losing by 21 on road. A week later, we went to SIU, who was struggling, they beat us 42-7 .. sitting 4-2, the season was suddenly looking very bleak. But we bounced right back to beat a very hot #4 USD team by 16 at home. Then we demolished a very tough YSU team on road 35-0 .. they had just just lost 3 straight gutty games to #6 USD, #1 NDSU, and playoff bound UNI by combined margin of 11 points .. and we beat them by 35.. Then we traveled to play a very tough WIU team and lost by 17, before having to travel again to #5 SDSU, ranked #17 ... Kolbe was supposedly injured and did not play that game and we went with RS FR QB .. game was close all the way; we just scored to tie game up late in game, and our defense got the 3 and out it needed. So game was tied at 24-24 when we took over at our 25 yard line with ALL 3 TIMEOUTS left and 1:15 on clock .. all we need is a FG to win.

Want to know what ISUr problem is on offense ??? It all boils down to our play calling and clock management on this series .. on road, chance to beat #5 team, and lock in our playoff bid for 2017. Notice our play calls and who called timeouts .. translated, who was still playing to win versus who was playing to not lose:

Ils
1-10
at Ils17
ILLINOIS STATE drive start at 01:15.

Ils
1-10
at Ils17
SMITH,Markel rush for no gain to the ILS17 (Xavier Ward).

Ils
2-10
at Ils17
Timeout South Dakota State, clock 01:11.

Ils
2-10
at Ils17
BROADNAX,Malach rush for 7 yards to the ILS24 (Dalton Cox).

Ils
3-3
at Ils24
Timeout South Dakota State, clock 01:06.

Ils
3-3
at Ils24
ROBINSON,James rush for 7 yards to the ILS31, 1ST DOWN ILS (Nick Farina).

Ils
1-10
at Ils31
ROBINSON,James rush for 3 yards to the ILS34 (Kellen Soulek).

Ils
2-7
at Ils34
ROBINSON,James rush for 10 yards to the ILS44, 1ST DOWN ILS (Marshon Harris).

Ils
1-10
at Ils44
End of game, clock 00:00.

Clock ran out at 44 yard line .. SDSU used up their 2 remaining timeouts, we used none. Went to OT .. you think that was stupid .. well, we're not done, In OT,when clock was no longer a factor, we called these plays. Side note, for the game, we had rushed 50 times for 250 yards ... so what do we do in OT with clock turned off and all american Robinson in our backfield ? We passed 3 straight times with our RS FR QB, same QB who moved to Safety after this season was over. James Robinson sucked his thumb as decoy ... we missed our FG, they made theirs .. game over.

Ils
1-10
at Ils44
Start of OT quarter, clock 15:00.

SDSU wins the toss and chooses defense, ISU will go South to North

Ils
1-10
at Ils44
ILS ball on SDSU25.

Ils
1-10
at Sdsu25
BROADNAX,Malach pass complete to SCHNELL,Spencer for 3 yards to the SDSU22 (Chris Balster).

Ils
2-7
at Sdsu22
BROADNAX,Malach pass incomplete to FOWLER,Anthony.

Ils
3-7
at Sdsu22
BROADNAX,Malach pass incomplete to FOWLER,Anthony.

Ils
4-7
at Sdsu22
QB hurry by Xavier Ward.

Ils
4-7
at Sdsu22
SLATTERY,Sean field goal attempt from 39 MISSED - wide left, spot at ILS25, clock 15:00.

This is what is wrong with the ISUr offense under Spack. We play to not lose when games are like this.

A wek later, we're in a defensive battle with NDSU in the rain/sleet/snow storm ... 0-0 at half, 13-7 late, before Stick breaks off big run late in game to win 20-7. So we finish 6-5 with an NAIA win and out of playoff consideration.

I dont see us playing up with SDSU this year, but historically, we have usually played well against SDSU .... just don't see that happeniing this year.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 9th, 2019, 10:08 AM
Davis is pretty mediocre at best. IMO, if you had better QB play, the Redbirds would be more consistent.

Redbird 4th & short
November 9th, 2019, 11:39 AM
Davis is pretty mediocre at best. IMO, if you had better QB play, the Redbirds would be more consistent.
we are just snakebit at QB position and our pass game. Spack just doesn't develop his QBs or let them play. He once made this comment about Matt Brown ... who was recruited by previous coaching staff, so Spack inherited him. Brown is arguably the best QB in ISUr history, and regularly outplayed some very good QBs ... he actually this about his stud QB after he had a rough outing, "with Matt, you have to take the bad with the good". It is a very telling statement about a coach who still believes he can win with defense and run game alone. And how he so easily loses confidence his his game plan and QB. IMO, it is why in 11 years (he inherited Brown and for Roberson to transfer), he has yet to recruit a HS QB who worked out. Kolbe was his best find and he got off to nice start in 2016 as RS SO. But he got worse each year under our system. QBs come and go, we've changed out OCs several times ... near same result at QB position and with our pass game, even when it could be decent.

Our problems these last 4 years are 90% in our pass game and QB position, and as much (or more) a reflection of our coaching than it is of our QBs. The play calling at the end of our SDSU game in 2017 is a great example of the problem .. so maddening to watch from our perspective. I get not calling a timeout after first run (zero yards), but why didn't we call timeout once we got the first of 2 first downs ???? SDSU had already stopped the clock for us twice .. why didn't we stop the clock after we got the first down on our 3rd play with just under a minute to go, thanks to SDSU calling 2 TOs for us ?? Sitting on 31, we only needed 35-40 more yards and would have still had 2 more timeouts, and with SDSU in semi-prevent feeling the heat of possbly losing. We never threw once, and we never called a timeout .. we took the tie, when we could have won. Then we get to OT and we don't give it to our all american RB even once .. we throw 3 times from the 25 with our untested RS FR playing his 1st and only game ever, since he was moved to Safety the next offseason, because he just was not a dual threat who could throw the ball. Made zero sense.

Our roster has been a top 10 roster these last 4 years (2016-19), but offensively we just never seem to put it together, despite having stud RBs, good WRs and good OL most years, combined with very tough defenses. It is getting old settling for 6-5 or 7-4.

Davis might light it up today if he gets things going and Spack takes the training wheels off, or he might throw for 50 yards .. we'll see. It is more a lack of confidence and comfort in pass game from coaches on down to QB. And it can be very infectious.

Schism55
November 9th, 2019, 02:11 PM
I’d project somewhere around 6-8k. Last year we hosted Missouri State around this time and drew just shy of 6k. Attendance drops quick the later we get into the season.

Showed a sweep of the stadium at kickoff, i'd say 4k is generous.

Redbird 4th & short
November 9th, 2019, 02:19 PM
nice start for my Redbirds .. QB Davis being allowed to throw and putting some nice touch on the ball so far. Even threw twice to our TEs ... anear extinct species in our offense.

Redbird 4th & short
November 9th, 2019, 02:49 PM
and then Davis does sh-t like that .. dude is a 5th year player. Questionable play call from end zone, only send 1 receiver who apparently fell down ... and QB panicks

mmiller_34
November 9th, 2019, 03:09 PM
PICK!!

X-Factor
November 9th, 2019, 03:10 PM
Wow Davis looks bad out there. Jacks defense really taking it to him

mmiller_34
November 9th, 2019, 04:01 PM
TD Jacks

dewey
November 9th, 2019, 04:03 PM
TD Jacks

Score? Thanks. I am in the woods and getting very little signal.

Dewey

mmiller_34
November 9th, 2019, 04:04 PM
Score? Thanks. I am in the woods and getting very little signal.

Dewey

18-10. Jackrabbits up.

mmiller_34
November 9th, 2019, 04:21 PM
ISUR gets a FG then picks off a pass.

Jacks still up 18-13 but this game has “stinker game” feeling all over it.

dewey
November 9th, 2019, 04:24 PM
ISUR gets a FG then picks off a pass.

Jacks still up 18-13 but this game has “stinker game” feeling all over it.

I just hope SDSU is either the 2 or 3 or 6 or 7 seed.

Dewey

mmiller_34
November 9th, 2019, 04:26 PM
SDSU holds ISUR to a FG again.

2 point game. 18-16.

mmiller_34
November 9th, 2019, 04:29 PM
Fumble on the kickoff. Red bird ball.

jesus ****ing Christ.

dewey
November 9th, 2019, 04:30 PM
Fumble on the kickoff. Red bird ball.

JFC.

WTF?! SDSU trying it's best to give this game away?

Dewey

mmiller_34
November 9th, 2019, 04:33 PM
WTF?! SDSU trying it's best to give this game away?

Dewey

We do this once a year, at least.

Its not surprising. I called it earlier this week.

mmiller_34
November 9th, 2019, 04:34 PM
Jacks stopped them on 3rd down. We were offsides.

TD Redbirds. Game over.

now we just called a TO, on defense, for the 2 point attempt.... holy freaking ****.

2 Point attempt is good.

24-18.
Redbirds up.

Schism55
November 9th, 2019, 04:36 PM
Ill St TD!
Holy EPIC trick play on 2 pt conversion.
24-18 Redbrids

mmiller_34
November 9th, 2019, 04:39 PM
Ill St TD!
Holy EPIC trick play on 2 pt conversion.
24-18 Redbrids

it was dumb. But cool

mmiller_34
November 9th, 2019, 04:41 PM
Jacks fumble. Redbird ball.

Called this game a week ago.

Im done watching

Schism55
November 9th, 2019, 04:44 PM
27-18 Redbirds
6:33 left

mmiller_34
November 9th, 2019, 04:49 PM
TV showed the SDSU FG go through the uprights. Refs called it no good.

Cant make this **** up.

dewey
27-18 Redbirds
6:33 left

Wow! HUGE win for Illinois State assuming they can hang on.

Dewey

dewey
TV showed the SDSU FG go through the uprights. Refs called it no good.

Over the top of the upright?

Dewey

mmiller_34
November 9th, 2019, 04:50 PM
Wow! HUGE win for Illinois State assuming they can hang on.

Dewey

We aren’t good. We will lose to both UNI and USD and play Thanksgiving weekend at Montana.

mmiller_34
November 9th, 2019, 04:51 PM
Over the top of the upright?

Dewey

Must have been. It looked good.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 9th, 2019, 04:53 PM
Can we stop with SDSU being on or near NDSU's level? NDSU has no competition in the MVFC. Just like JMU really doesn't have competition in the CAA. SDSU is a really good program by FCS standards but they're still chasing the Bison with 98/99% of FCS.....

mmiller_34
November 9th, 2019, 04:55 PM
Can we stop with SDSU being on or near NDSU's level? NDSU has no competition in the MVFC. Just like JMU really doesn't have competition in the CAA. SDSU is a really good program by FCS standards but they're still chasing the Bison with 98/99% of FCS.....

AMEN.

mmiller_34
November 9th, 2019, 05:00 PM
Absolute trash performance.

it’s time for Stig to go. He has been holding this program back for a decade.

He did a great job keeping the ship afloat during the transition years. But if we want to make that next step. Someone else needs to step in.

JacksFan40
November 9th, 2019, 05:07 PM

He did a great job keeping the ship afloat during the transition years. But if we want to make that next step. Someone else needs to step in.
He should’ve been gone after blowing our playoff chances in our last D2 year back in 2003.

X-Factor
November 9th, 2019, 05:10 PM

I don’t know how you can say that. He has done a great job. Stig took SDSU from being completely irrelevant in DII to a consistent top FCS team every year. Really, what more do you expect?

Derby City Duke
November 9th, 2019, 05:10 PM
Great win Redbirds!

JacksFan40
November 9th, 2019, 05:20 PM
I don’t know how you can say that. He has done a great job. Stig took SDSU from being completely irrelevant in DII to a consistent top FCS team every year. Really, what more do you expect?
We didn’t get relevant until we started actually caring about football and giving it proper funding and facilities. Outside of 2007 and 2009 Stieg had no good seasons until 2012, conviently after we built the Dykhouse Student-Athlete center

mmiller_34
November 9th, 2019, 05:38 PM

Stig has put himself around great assistant coaches and OCs and DCs. Players don’t come to play for Stig they come to play for Eck, Dan Jackson, or Jimmy Rogers.

If we had a true head coach he wouldn’t have allowed that bone head fake FG call. A situation where we had one kicker kick our first field goal and make it.... then when we lined up for the second field goal we put in Vineteri who was benched... but now we’re are bringing him in to kick?? Oh wait we ran Fake FGs with him... I wonder what we are going to do....

Bisonator
November 9th, 2019, 06:13 PM
Way to go wabbits. Question is will this be the only game you give away?

JacksFan40
November 9th, 2019, 06:15 PM
Way to go wabbits. Question is will this be the only game you give away?
No we’ll lose to UNI and get beat by USD in Vermillion, and as stated previously get sent to Montana in the First Round.

F'N Hawks
November 9th, 2019, 06:25 PM

Not surprised. 81 yards rushing because there is no QB threat.

Tazman2664
November 9th, 2019, 06:45 PM
I said this back when NDSU beat SDSU and several SDSU fans got after me about it. Stig is a good coach, he wins. But he is like a lot of other guys who take you to the dance but won't be bringing you home. I just don't think he is "that" good of a coach to get you over the top. Yes, he has won but he has not won the "one" that puts you over the top. I have also said his recruiting isn't all that good. Yes he has gotten some good players, maybe be very good but he is not getting the best that he needs. Look, there is a top SD kid that plays DL for the Bison, thus I have to ask, if SDSU is that good why didn't he stay home? Stig is a good coach and wins, I just don't feel he will get SDSU over the top.

semobison
November 9th, 2019, 07:02 PM
The Redbirds last 3 scores came off consecutive Rabbit turnovers, Int, fumble, fumble all deep in their own territory. Stig wasn't the guy fumbling the football!

clenz
November 9th, 2019, 07:28 PM
I'm ****ing shocked

Wow was I wrong

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

mmiller_34
November 9th, 2019, 07:38 PM
The Redbirds last 3 scores came off consecutive Rabbit turnovers, Int, fumble, fumble all deep in their own territory. Stig wasn't the guy fumbling the football!

No he wasn’t. He was the guy who wasted a TO just before the 2 pt conversion attempt and the guy who didn’t intervene on a real obvious and questionable fake FG attempt. He was also the guy that when the wheels started coming off didn’t do anything to intervene and calm and focus his players. He did nothing.

caribbeanhen
November 9th, 2019, 07:50 PM

nothing wrong with having the balls to make a prediction

Redbird 4th & short
November 9th, 2019, 08:17 PM
near mirror image of our loss to UNI last week .. close game until turnovers proved to be difference. I thought our defense played real well for most part. We had an answer for most of what they did except Janke .. he made our tackling look horrendous when he was on the field. Our QB tried to give game away a few times there ... 5th year player who still panicks in the pocket, but he made a few plays too.

Must have been very frustrating for SDSU fans ... we know what it's like to be on other side of loss like this. Today, things went our way for first time in a while. Polls will over-react to this game .. SDSU has been very steady strong team until today. This shouldn't knock them any lower than 6th, nor us any higher than maybe 10th. We're still a big question on offense ... we get WR Edgar back soon, hopefully this coming week.

p.s. I don't get knocking Stig ... you guys reload better than anyone else except Bison. You should consider yourselves lucky to have him and appreciate the success you've had. Many programs would trade places in a second.

JacksFan40
November 9th, 2019, 08:41 PM
near mirror image of our loss to UNI last week .. close game until turnovers proved to be difference. I thought our defense played real well for most part. We had an answer for most of what they did except Janke .. he made our tackling look horrendous when he was on the field. Our QB tried to give game away a few times there ... 5th year player who still panicks in the pocket, but he made a few plays too.

Must have been very frustrating for SDSU fans ... we know what it's like to be on other side of loss like this. Today, things went our way for first time in a while. Polls will over-react to this game .. SDSU has been very steady strong team until today. This shouldn't knock them any lower than 6th, nor us any higher than maybe 10th. We're still a big question on offense ... we get WR Edgar back soon, hopefully this coming week.

p.s. I don't get knocking Stig ... you guys reload better than anyone else except Bison. You should consider yourselves lucky to have him and appreciate the success you've had. Many programs would trade places in a second.
Jaxon Janke is an absolute stud and only a freshman. Had the chance to watch him in high school and he was unstoppable. He also has a twin brother on the team named Jadon and he’s just as good so they’ll be fun to watch.

Yes we reload every year but we can’t win with any of those guys. You don’t see teams like NDSU turn the ball over 10 times in the semifinals. Stig is a good coach but he’s far from a great one. He’s like Kirk Ferentz from Iowa or like how Bill Snyder was, good but never great. They always produced good teams but could never reach the next level.

Thumper 76
November 9th, 2019, 08:44 PM

Sure, ask me or the 12 other people who actually bother to show up to the games to pony up. Prolly only take ten minutes to pass the donation bucket around all of us to see we don’t have the money to pay off his contract even if that WAS the move to make.

No he wasn’t. He was the guy who wasted a TO just before the 2 pt conversion attempt and the guy who didn’t intervene on a real obvious and questionable fake FG attempt. He was also the guy that when the wheels started coming off didn’t do anything to intervene and calm and focus his players. He did nothing.

Dude it was the three ****ing turnovers in a ****ing row that ****ed this ****ing game and trying to pawn it off on Stig just shows an ax to grind.

REALBird
November 9th, 2019, 08:49 PM

I think what Stig was pissed about was Illinois State made a late substitution to set up for the 2 point play. The ref should have stood over the ball and allowed SDSU to change personnel, but instead ISUr ran to the line with 11 sec on the play clock to snap the ball.

Watching the replay you can hear the ref apologizing on the open mic, but Stig had taken his TO already.

mmiller_34
November 9th, 2019, 09:09 PM
Sure, ask me or the 12 other people who actually bother to show up to the games to pony up. Prolly only take ten minutes to pass the donation bucket around all of us to see we don’t have the money to pay off his contract even if that WAS the move to make.

Dude it was the three ****ing turnovers in a ****ing row that ****ed this ****ing game and trying to pawn it off on Stig just shows an ax to grind.

You’re not wrong. But this happens every single year in a game like this..

Thumper 76
November 9th, 2019, 09:15 PM

First I think it’s time to look at SDSUs resume and make an honest ranking. Take the name off it and call it YSU or SIU’s resume then tell me where they should be ranked. I would bet people would put them at the 14-20ish area off that.

With Stig and the knocking of him, it’s just a condition of living with your rival just up the road being ndsu. I don’t know if anyone who will be happy to watch their rival have success every year, while having that exact rival block your success en route to it 50% of the time, and not be frustrated beyond all hell. When you have bison fans laughing and taunting you with “see you in the playoffs in Fargo” even if you do beat them at your own stadium, it gets compounded even more. So you need to pick something after all the money and upgrades dumped into the program. The obvious choice is HC for just about anyone. Especially when we seem to drop a game we probably shouldn’t every year. Never mind that we’re pretty much behind the eight ball after losing Gibbs and using our 5th string qb at this point. Never mind that the fans don’t show up after October to help make an impact on the game. It’s the life of a Jacks fan. Ain’t it grand?

Thumper 76
November 9th, 2019, 09:19 PM
You’re not wrong. But this happens every single year in a game like this..

I mean, I’m just as mad about it as anyone. I don’t drive my happy ass down from Fargo for every game to watch a game turn out like this. That said, we need some realism when it comes to this year in particular. You lose two qbs from the program (the #2 & #3) then have your starter go down, and have to use your 5th string true frosh qb, I think we probably should have expected a stinker at some point. Especially with the schedule finally getting tough. The infuriating part to me is the amount of fumbles. That was ridiculous. The ball hit the turf 5 ****ing times. Good ****ing lord.

POD Knows
November 9th, 2019, 09:21 PM
First I think it’s time to look at SDSUs resume and make an honest ranking. Take the name off it and call it YSU or SIU’s resume then tell me where they should be ranked. I would bet people would put them at the 14-20ish area off that.

With Stig and the knocking of him, it’s just a condition of living with your rival just up the road being ndsu. I don’t know if anyone who will be happy to watch their rival have success every year, while having that exact rival block your success en route to it 50% of the time, and not be frustrated beyond all hell. When you have bison fans laughing and taunting you with “see you in the playoffs in Fargo” even if you do beat them at your own stadium, it gets compounded even more. So you need to pick something after all the money and upgrades dumped into the program. The obvious choice is HC for just about anyone. Especially when we seem to drop a game we probably shouldn’t every year. Never mind that we’re pretty much behind the eight ball after losing Gibbs and using our 5th string qb at this point. Never mind that the fans don’t show up after October to help make an impact on the game. It’s the life of a Jacks fan. Ain’t it grand?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThink about this for a second, you guys could finish 8-4 without a single quality win. I would take a 7-4 UND over that record. SIU is your best win to date. Ish.

Thumper 76
November 9th, 2019, 09:23 PM
Think about this for a second, you guys could finish 8-4 without a single quality win. I would take a 7-4 UND over that record. SIU is your best win to date. Ish.

That’s why I think people need to look at SDSU as not “how far should they drop” but what does this resume say they are. Win vs UNI, fine, maybe seed talk.

caribbeanhen
November 9th, 2019, 09:24 PM
Think about this for a second, you guys could finish 8-4 without a single quality win. I would take a 7-4 UND over that record. SIU is your best win to date. Ish.

Did you see how North Dakota lost that game today..... they had it

mmiller_34
November 9th, 2019, 09:26 PM

My current mood as an SDSU fan:

https://media1.giphy.com/media/EpWDYSkFQTQnS/source.gif

Thumper 76
November 9th, 2019, 09:27 PM
My current mood as an SDSU fan:

https://media1.giphy.com/media/EpWDYSkFQTQnS/source.gif

Sums it up quite nicely. Why can’t we just have nice things one year.

POD Knows
November 9th, 2019, 09:35 PM
Did you see how North Dakota lost that game today..... they had itThey also won some games they shouldn't have won but if they finish with 7-4 and SDSU is 8-4 and for some reason, you have to pick one or the other, I would go with UND given their SOS. I need to see if I can find the replay of the game. I am going to watch the ISUr/SDSU game. The injury to the SDSU QB is huge, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them lose out in the next two games. There should be no way they get in with a 7-5 record and no real quality wins.

F'N Hawks
November 9th, 2019, 09:37 PM
Did you see how North Dakota lost that game today..... they had it

Can't think of a worse, more stupid way to hand a game to the other team than that. What sucks is he has been one of their best weapons all year - just total brain fart.

caribbeanhen
November 9th, 2019, 09:38 PM
They also won some games they shouldn't have won but if they finish with 7-4 and SDSU is 8-4 and for some reason, you have to pick one or the other, I would go with UND given their SOS. I need to see if I can find the replay of the game. I am going to watch the ISUr/SDSU game. The injury to the SDSU QB is huge, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them lose out in the next two games. There should be no way they get in with a 7-5 record and no real quality wins.

even Indiana State looked tough today.... they played pretty physical with N Iowa..... just couldn't punch it in when they needed too

Derby City Duke
November 9th, 2019, 10:27 PM
Rabbits, 37-10

This didn’t age well. Yikes!!

BisonBacker
November 9th, 2019, 10:38 PM

But you guys have a brand new fancy outdoor stadium and we have that crappy dome remember? :D

BisonBacker
November 9th, 2019, 10:39 PM

Let's not go all out bat**** crazy xlolx

POD Knows
November 9th, 2019, 10:46 PM
Let's not go all out bat**** crazy xlolxI am dead serious, a 7-4 UND gets in before an 8-4 SDSU,

Drblankstare
November 9th, 2019, 11:08 PM
You know, even if SDSU would have beaten NDSU and not lost Gibbs for the season, they would have lost this game or the UNI game.

They do this every year and no one knows why, it’s really quite remarkable.

X-Factor
November 10th, 2019, 08:54 AM
You know, even if SDSU would have beaten NDSU and not lost Gibbs for the season, they would have lost this game or the UNI game.

Yes we do. The Jacks have been given too much credit for playing the Bison close.

I think one of the realizations here is that people need to quit with the talk saying the NDSU game isn’t the Jacks Super Bowl. It is, every year. SDSU blows their wad in the regular season then the Bison come back in the playoffs and lay the lumber when it really matters.

Houndawg
November 10th, 2019, 09:25 AM

it being the backup QBs first start helped a lot. SDSU and ISU would both have a much tougher row today with the dawgs.

JacksFan40
November 10th, 2019, 09:41 AM

It’s probably because our head coach can’t win when it matters. Over 20 years and only 2 conference titles to show for it. Yet some fans still defend him and insist he’s our best option, LSU fires Les Miles despite consistent 9-10 win seasons and now they’re on their way to a national title. Georgia fired Mark Richt despite also having 9-10 win seasons every year and they at least made it to the title game with Kirby Smart.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 10th, 2019, 09:46 AM
It’s probably because our head coach can’t win when it matters. Over 20 years and only 2 conference titles to show for it. Yet some fans still defend him and insist he’s our best option, LSU fires Les Miles despite consistent 9-10 win seasons and now they’re on their way to a national title. Georgia fired Mark Richt despite also having 9-10 win seasons every year and they at least made it to the title game with Kirby Smart.

The Jacks only rushed for 81 yards.....xsmhx.....coaches go away from the run?

Ill State that good defending it?

I haven't watched the replay yet...

POD Knows
November 10th, 2019, 09:54 AM
it being the backup QBs first start helped a lot. SDSU and ISU would both have a much tougher row today with the dawgs.I agree, I have watched a couple of SIU games recently and I think that rematches with ISUr and SDSU would be toss-ups honestly. If UNI beats SDSU game next weekend and NDSU/SIU both win their games, the season ending game in Carbondale will be big for both NDSU and SIU.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 10th, 2019, 10:03 AM
I agree, I have watched a couple of SIU games recently and I think that rematches with ISUr and SDSU would be toss-ups honestly. If UNI beats SDSU game next weekend and NDSU/SIU both win their games, the season ending game in Carbondale will be big for both NDSU and SIU.

Make the trip down there. I'm looking forward to going to this one. Haven't been to SIU yet!

CappinHard
November 10th, 2019, 10:21 AM
Yes we do. The Jacks have been given too much credit for playing the Bison close.

I think one of the realizations here is that people need to quit with the talk saying the NDSU game isn’t the Jacks Super Bowl. It is, every year. SDSU blows their wad in the regular season then the Bison come back in the playoffs and lay the lumber when it really matters.

Should we just not try very hard against the best team in the FCS during the regular season? Would that make you feel better? I mean really... What do you expect? Of course a team has to treat it like it's their biggest game of their regular season, because it is, for every single team that has NDSU on their schedule, there would be no bigger win than beating NDSU. That's why their run is so incredible, they're getting everyone's best shot week after week and keep rolling.

POD Knows
November 10th, 2019, 10:28 AM
Make the trip down there. I'm looking forward to going to this one. Haven't been to SIU yet! I don't know, if I can schedule my work down there, maybe I will go but it is almost as far as Frisco, TX and it isn't exactly a tourist destination. If UNI beats SDSU and we need to win this game outright for the conference championship, I might think about it.

BisonBacker
November 10th, 2019, 10:38 AM

It's everyones superbowl in the FCS whether people want to admit it or not.

kalm
November 10th, 2019, 10:42 AM
I am dead serious, a 7-4 UND gets in before an 8-4 SDSU,

7-5 brings several teams into the discussion from a h2h, sos, and transitive standpoint. Davis would almost be a lock with wins over MSU and Sac to finish the season against the #1 SoS...except they also lost to UND who also lost to EWU who should finish 7-5 as well. SIU would also play in here at 7-5 with the loss to SDSU. And then if SHSU loses one of it's last two (they shouldn't but...) they would also finish 7-5 with a win over a potential 7-5 Nicholls but also a loss to UND. And that's just from 3 conferences.

That's a lot of "also's"...Yikes!

Bisonator
November 10th, 2019, 11:18 AM
I am dead serious, a 7-4 UND gets in before an 8-4 SDSU,
I disagree. That loss to Idaho State is gonna hurt UND.

SDSU - losses to FBS 9-0 MN, 9-0 NDSU, 7-3 ISUr, possibly 9-3 UNI
UND - losses to 9-0 NDSU, 5-5 EWU, 3-7 ISU, 8-2 Weber

Tazman2664
November 10th, 2019, 11:53 AM
I like how people will say Stig didn't fumble the football or throw the interception so you can't blame him for losing a game. Ok, got that. Then you can't give him the credit for a win, same theory, if he didn't fumble he didn't run the ball in for a TD either. Stig is a good coach, but in his tenure there he hasn't done anything special. Talk all you want about how the top rival is just up the road, shouldn't the conversation eventually turn to how the top rival being down the road? Like someone mentioned Les Miles was always there, in the back pocket to Alabama, and what did LSU finally do with that? He won 9 and 10 games a year but just never got over the top, Alabama. Same for Marc Right, always in the back pocket to Alabama, and what finally happened there? Being from North Dakota and a huge supporter of NDSU, I am glad to say, keep Stig and run with him.

As far as I am concerned, as long as Stig is there, SDSU will always be in NDSU's back pocket and I am comfortable with that. But as a sports enthusiast, I see that SDSU has a problem. And we will see just how big of a problem it is in the next 2 weeks. UNI has to come to town so SDSU should have the upper leg but that trip to SD could be a vary dangerous trip. SDSU has to play with backup QBs, I get that, but good coaching prepares the backups to step in. As injuries go, a good coach always prepares the next to start and the backups to those starters. As some would say, next man up. At this stage in the season, with playoffs on the line, the best coaches know how to coach and run a game with what he has, to their strengths. This could very well be a huge test for Stig. Go 2-0 and I would say he is a good to very good coach (Les Miles type), if he goes 1-1 then he is a good coach, but if he goes 0-2, you make the call.

And for the record, UND is not equal to SDSU, SDSU is way up on UND. UND was out of the talk when they lost to Idaho State. SDSU is still in it but they can not have more than 4 loses for sure, and 4 loses might put them on the outside looking in.

POD Knows
November 10th, 2019, 11:57 AM
I like how people will say Stig didn't fumble the football or throw the interception so you can't blame him for losing a game. Ok, got that. Then you can't give him the credit for a win, same theory, if he didn't fumble he didn't run the ball in for a TD either.

Stig is a good coach, but in his tenure there he hasn't done anything special. Talk all you want about how the top rival is just up the road, shouldn't the conversation eventually turn to how the top rival being down the road? Like someone mentioned Les Miles was always there, in the back pocket to Alabama, and what did LSU finally do with that? He won 9 and 10 games a year but just never got over the top, Alabama. Same for Marc Right, always in the back pocket to Alabama, and what finally happened there?

Being from North Dakota and a huge supporter of NDSU, I am glad to say, keep Stig and run with him. As far as I am concerned, as long as Stig is there, SDSU will always be in NDSU's back pocket and I am comfortable with that. But as a sports enthusiast, I see that SDSU has a problem. And we will see just how big of a problem it is in the next 2 weeks.

UNI has to come to town so SDSU should have the upper leg but that trip to SD could be a vary dangerous trip. SDSU has to play with backup QBs, I get that, but good coaching prepares the backups to step in. As injuries go, a good coach always prepares the next to start and the backups to those starters.

As some would say, next man up. At this stage in the season, with playoffs on the line, the best coaches know how to coach and run a game with what he has, to their strengths. This could very well be a huge test for Stig. Go 2-0 and I would say he is a good to very good coach (Les Miles type), if he goes 1-1 then he is a good coach, but if he goes 0-2, you make the call.

And for the record, UND is not equal to SDSU, SDSU is way up on UND. UND was out of the talk when they lost to Idaho State. SDSU is still in it but they can not have more than 4 loses for sure, and 4 loses might put them on the outside looking in.FYP

Redbird 4th & short
November 10th, 2019, 02:30 PM
I disagree. That loss to Idaho State is gonna hurt UND.

SDSU - losses to FBS 9-0 MN, 9-0 NDSU, 7-3 ISUr, possibly 9-3 UNI
UND - losses to 9-0 NDSU, 5-5 EWU, 3-7 ISU, 8-2 Weber

Agreed .... UND didn't even play an FBS and lost to NDSU by 31. SDSU nearly beat a top 10 FBS and played even with NDSU .. losing both games by 7 on road and playing both teams even throughout. SDSU has the 2 best losses in all of FCS - that has to be viewed favborably, or your sending message to avoid playing good teams. Then there's the other 2 weak losses for UND ... SDSU has no weak losses ... we are 7-3, EWU is 4-5 ... so UNDs loss to EWU is worse than SDSU losing to ISUr by 11 and then getting blown out by 3-7 Idaho St by 35 will certainly tip it on SDSUU favor.

SDSU resume at 8-4 will be clearly stronger than UND at 8-4 .. tougher SOS and much better margins.

Redbird 4th & short
November 10th, 2019, 02:41 PM
I like how people will say Stig didn't fumble the football or throw the interception so you can't blame him for losing a game. Ok, got that. Then you can't give him the credit for a win, same theory, if he didn't fumble he didn't run the ball in for a TD either. Stig is a good coach, but in his tenure there he hasn't done anything special. Talk all you want about how the top rival is just up the road, shouldn't the conversation eventually turn to how the top rival being down the road? Like someone mentioned Les Miles was always there, in the back pocket to Alabama, and what did LSU finally do with that? He won 9 and 10 games a year but just never got over the top, Alabama. Same for Marc Right, always in the back pocket to Alabama, and what finally happened there? Being from North Dakota and a huge supporter of NDSU, I am glad to say, keep Stig and run with him.

As far as I am concerned, as long as Stig is there, SDSU will always be in NDSU's back pocket and I am comfortable with that. But as a sports enthusiast, I see that SDSU has a problem. And we will see just how big of a problem it is in the next 2 weeks. UNI has to come to town so SDSU should have the upper leg but that trip to SD could be a vary dangerous trip. SDSU has to play with backup QBs, I get that, but good coaching prepares the backups to step in. As injuries go, a good coach always prepares the next to start and the backups to those starters. As some would say, next man up. At this stage in the season, with playoffs on the line, the best coaches know how to coach and run a game with what he has, to their strengths. This could very well be a huge test for Stig. Go 2-0 and I would say he is a good to very good coach (Les Miles type), if he goes 1-1 then he is a good coach, but if he goes 0-2, you make the call.

And for the record, UND is not equal to SDSU, SDSU is way up on UND. UND was out of the talk when they lost to Idaho State. SDSU is still in it but they can not have more than 4 loses for sure, and 4 loses might put them on the outside looking in.

By that measuring stick, every FCS coach should be fired because NDSU won 7 Natty's in 8 years .. why stop at the team who has played a decent 2nd fiddle compared to everyone else except possibly JMU. Except JMU has only had to play NDSU 3 times in 10 years. SDSU has had to play them 14 times in 10 years.

SDSU has done a phenomenal job hanging tough with NDSU. if you fire Stig, then fire every MVFC coach. And since MVFC is the #1 conference in FCS the last 10 years, fire every other FCS coach too.

ISUr has improved considerably and really struggled since the NDSU and SDSU joined the MVFC .. but all ships have risen since they joined. Just look at our .631 playoff record against otehr conferences, excluding NDSUs .950 win %. I know this much, when Spack first got here, we went 6-5 in 2009 .... and we've gone 6-5 the last 3 years. But I also know this, our league had gotten a whole lot better since 2009 because of NDSU and SDSU ... 6-5 in 2018 was way better than 6-5 in 2009.

Be careful what you wish for with Stig .... being 2nd to a team that has won 7 Nattys in 8 years is nothing to be ashamed of. Hell you beat them 2 years in a row in regular season and played with them again this year. Your doing it much better than 99% of FCS.

F'N Hawks
November 10th, 2019, 02:50 PM
Agreed .... UND didn't even play an FBS and lost to NDSU by 31. SDSU nearly beat a top 10 FBS and played even with NDSU .. losing both games by 7 on road and playing both teams even throughout. SDSU has the 2 best losses in all of FCS - that has to be viewed favborably, or your sending message to avoid playing good teams. Then there's the other 2 weak losses for UND ... SDSU has no weak losses ... we are 7-3, EWU is 4-5 ... so UNDs loss to EWU is worse than SDSU losing to ISUr by 11 and then getting blown out by 3-7 Idaho St by 35 will certainly tip it on SDSUU favor.

SDSU resume at 8-4 will be clearly stronger than UND at 8-4 .. tougher SOS and much better margins.

Quality losses, no doubt. If only they were required to actually beat somebody good like everyone else (except Furman).

Redbird 4th & short
November 10th, 2019, 02:56 PM
7-5 brings several teams into the discussion from a h2h, sos, and transitive standpoint. Davis would almost be a lock with wins over MSU and Sac to finish the season against the #1 SoS...except they also lost to UND who also lost to EWU who should finish 7-5 as well. SIU would also play in here at 7-5 with the loss to SDSU. And then if SHSU loses one of it's last two (they shouldn't but...) they would also finish 7-5 with a win over a potential 7-5 Nicholls but also a loss to UND. And that's just from 3 conferences.

That's a lot of "also's"...Yikes!
EWU has a non D-I win ... so they are 4-5, best they can do is 6-5, right ?

But agree, lot of 4 and 5 loss teams will be on the bubble.

Thumper 76
November 10th, 2019, 03:15 PM
Quality losses, no doubt. If only they were required to actually beat somebody good like everyone else (except Furman).

Yeah, SDSU desperately needs to beat UNI next week.

POD Knows
November 10th, 2019, 03:24 PM
Quality losses, no doubt. If only they were required to actually beat somebody good like everyone else (except Furman).Yep, they have beaten no one, they are the KSU of the MVFC.

RabidRabbit
November 10th, 2019, 04:06 PM
Stig is a 1979 SDSU grad, and re-signed to a 7 year contract at SDSU. Guys, until Stig choses to retire, he's SDSU's coach. The success he's had is phenomenal, especially if you look at what SDSU was in D-II. No other team has tagged NDSU with more losses this decade. NDSU is a steamroller that has swamped virtually even team played. Sure, NDSU has won 12 of 14 vs SDSU this decade. But many of those games were tight to the end. So far this season, only UC-Davis, and SDSU have played even into the 4th quarter with Bison.

While Jacks could end up outside a seed if lose to UNI, we do have the SIU win as a quality win. 8-4, with the quality of play will get the Jacks into the field of 24. 7-5, much more questionable. Yes, SDSU needs a QB to hold on to the ball when tackled, but he wasn't the only culprit in the 4 turnovers vs ISU-r.

IF SDSU beats UNI/USD to finish 9-3, strong likelihood of 4 MVFC seeds. NDSU #1, Ql wins, SDSU, UNI, ISU-r, SIU, and no losses. If Weber or JMU lose to an FCS opponent,o possible that UNI or SDSU moves into the #2 or #3 seed line, but if those two win out, don't see how can move a perfect FCS record team out of the #2 or #3 slot. See the UNI/SDSU winner in the 4/5 slot, and loser maybe in the #7 slot.

SIU, The Citadel, UCA are 3 teams in contention for play-off spots with FBS wins. If any 7-5 teams, who aren't AQs make play-offs, it'll be one or all three of these.

Lorne_Malvo
November 10th, 2019, 04:14 PM
Stig is a 1979 SDSU grad, and re-signed to a 7 year contract at SDSU. Guys, until Stig choses to retire, he's SDSU's coach. The success he's had is phenomenal, especially if you look at what SDSU was in D-II. No other team has tagged NDSU with more losses this decade. NDSU is a steamroller that has swamped virtually even team played. Sure, NDSU has won 12 of 14 vs SDSU this decade. But many of those games were tight to the end. So far this season, only UC-Davis, and SDSU have played even into the 4th quarter with Bison.

While Jacks could end up outside a seed if lose to UNI, we do have the SIU win as a quality win. 8-4, with the quality of play will get the Jacks into the field of 24. 7-5, much more questionable. Yes, SDSU needs a QB to hold on to the ball when tackled, but he wasn't the only culprit in the 4 turnovers vs ISU-r.

IF SDSU beats UNI/USD to finish 9-3, strong likelihood of 4 MVFC seeds. NDSU #1, Ql wins, SDSU, UNI, ISU-r, SIU, and no losses. If Weber or JMU lose to an FCS opponent,o possible that UNI or SDSU moves into the #2 or #3 seed line, but if those two win out, don't see how can move a perfect FCS record team out of the #2 or #3 slot. See the UNI/SDSU winner in the 4/5 slot, and loser maybe in the #7 slot.

SIU, The Citadel, UCA are 3 teams in contention for play-off spots with FBS wins. If any 7-5 teams, who aren't AQs make play-offs, it'll be one or all three of these.

Even if SDSU wins out, they are not a top 4 team. JMU and Weber can probably lose a game and keep SDSU out of the top 4.

cx500d
November 12th, 2019, 07:47 AM

You forgot Missouri state playing even

F'N Hawks
November 12th, 2019, 10:07 AM
SDSU fans: slow down. You get to watch a Top 5-8 program every year now. Your program was mediocre at D2 and got much, much, much better after moving to FCS. Other programs were very good at D2 and then became average at FCS. I realize you want to become #1 but what you have is pretty damn good and I for one would love for UND to reach that level every year.

Redbird 4th & short
November 12th, 2019, 10:58 AM
SDSU fans: slow down. You get to watch a Top 5-8 program every year now. Your program was mediocre at D2 and got much, much, much better after moving to FCS. Other programs were very good at D2 and then became average at FCS. I realize you want to become #1 but what you have is pretty damn good and I for one would love for UND to reach that level every year.
This !!

Or fire all FCS coaches for even better reasons with that logic.

JacksFan40
November 12th, 2019, 11:55 AM
Considering we’ve sunk millions upon millions into this program we expect a title at some point. The fact that Stig couldn’t win in 2017 shows he’ll never get us to Frisco. I’d also throw in the fact that he couldn’t get 2014 past the 2nd Round as another example, yeah we lost to NDSU but we shouldn’t of had to play them if we’d just take advantage of winnable games and not lose 1-2 of them ever year.

I’ll also never understand how in the hell we blew a 27 point lead to Montana in 2009, that loss falls completely on the coaches, great coaches never let that happen.

Redbird 4th & short
November 13th, 2019, 09:39 AM
Jack Fans and Stig bashers

I really don't get it ... it would be one thing if NDSU weren't around maybe and you kept falling short to good teams you should be beating. But regularly coming in 2nd to a dynasty like NDSU ... 7 of 8 Nattys is UCLA Wooden proportions, albeit FCS level .. is nothing to be firing your coach over. Would you rather bring in a new guy and possibly fall off to ISUr levels ... competitive but almost always on playoff bubble.

No coach is perfect nor always makes good decisions .. not even NDSU. You really seem to be looking a gift horse in the mouth. In the last 5-10 years, SDSU is xlearly a top 4 program ... taking 10 years into consideration, I would rank them 2nd overall years: NDSU, SDSU, JMU, SHSU, EWU/UNH.

JMU is lower because I'm looking at 10 year sample. If it were 5 year sample, JMU would be my #2 and SDSU would be my #3.

Be careful what you wish for .... it could be worse.

CappinHard
November 13th, 2019, 11:39 AM
Jack Fans and Stig bashers

I really don't get it ... it would be one thing if NDSU weren't around maybe and you kept falling short to good teams you should be beating. But regularly coming in 2nd to a dynasty like NDSU ... 7 of 8 Nattys is UCLA Wooden proportions, albeit FCS level .. is nothing to be firing your coach over. Would you rather bring in a new guy and possibly fall off to ISUr levels ... competitive but almost always on playoff bubble.

No coach is perfect nor always makes good decisions .. not even NDSU. You really seem to be looking a gift horse in the mouth. In the last 5-10 years, SDSU is xlearly a top 4 program ... taking 10 years into consideration, I would rank them 2nd overall years: NDSU, SDSU, JMU, SHSU, EWU/UNH.

JMU is lower because I'm looking at 10 year sample. If it were 5 year sample, JMU would be my #2 and SDSU would be my #3.

Be careful what you wish for .... it could be worse.

Fwiw, most Jacks fans realize how good we have it, and there's only been one Jacks fan on here saying Stig needs to go. Also, at this point, I firmly believe Stig has taken a back seat in many aspects of coaching and lets his staff take care of most of the decisions anyway.