PDA

View Full Version : SLC 2019 Playoff Possibilites and Scenarios

BEAR
November 4th, 2019, 09:45 AM
Just thought I'd start a seperate thread so all the SLC teams can weigh in on what they think their team's chances are of getting in.

I'll gather my data for UCA and post momentarily.

Daytripper
November 4th, 2019, 10:09 AM
Here's my take:
Playoffs

IN:
UCA (7-2) - Good wins: Austin Peay, McNeese, SHSU, Western Kentucky (FBS). Bad losses: None. Left on schedule: SLU, SFA, UIW.
Predicted finish: 10-2 with a seed.

Potential at large:
SHSU (5-4) - Good wins: Nicholls, UIW, McNeese. Bad loss: Lamar. Left on schedule: ACU, NWST, HBU
Win out and in. Lose one and out.

ACU (5-4) - Good wins: McNeese, Nicholls. Bad loss: Lamar. Left on schedule: SHSU, SLU, Mississippi State (FBS)
Win two conference games with a good showing against Miss. State, bubble. Lose either conference game and out.

SLU (5-3) - Good wins: none. Bad losses: none. Left on schedule: UCA, ACU, Nicholls (That's a tough finishing stretch)
Win out and in. Win two of three (especially UCA)and bubble. Lose two and out.

UIW (5-4) - Good wins: SLU, ACU. Bad loss: Northwestern State. Left on schedule: SFA, NMSU (FBS), UCA
Win out and in. Win out in conference and lose close to NMSU, bubble. Lose two and out.

McNeese (6-4) - Good wins: SLU. Bad loss: none. Left on schedule: Nicholls, Lamar
Win out and bubble. Lose one and out.

Nicholls (5-4) - Good wins: UCA, UIW. Bad loss: None. Left on schedule: HBU, McNeese, SLU

BEAR
November 4th, 2019, 10:16 AM
UCA: 7-2 overall, 5-1 conference

Remaining games: Massey win percentage:

SLU: UCA 58% (Big game. Only an 8% margin and we're at home. Ugh. Win this and UCA gets 8 wins for what I believe will be good enough for at least an at large if we fail the next two games)
SFA: UCA 88% (SFA even on a down year gives us fits. Win this + the SLU game and worst we can do is share the conference title.)
UIW: UCA 65% (Not looking forward to this road game. Win and the conference title is outright. Not much other than that.)

Lots of fans of SLC teams pulling for a few UCA losses of course. xlolx

Positives:

1. One game lead over second place SLC teams for autobid.
2. Win over FBS Western Kentucky.
3. Win over #25 Austin Peay
4. Win over #21/25 SHSU
5. Wins over McNeese, ACU, (maybe SLU & UIW later xprayx )

Negatives:
1. Loss to FBS (But this may be seen as more of a nuetral. )
2. Loss to #15 Nicholls (though this was after a bye week and a game AT Hawaii...who knows).

Intangible positives:
Averaging close to 10k in home game attendance.
Only 3 home games this season so far. Not a bad record for a team traveling as much as the Bears.
QB Smith is completing nearly 67% of his passes with a QB Efficiency rating of 152.
We have a bend don't break defense. Not amazing but will do for now.
2 of the last three are at home. UIW the last game is on the road.
Kicking game is solid. Ray is 11/12 on field goals and 30 of 31 on extra points.
With all the injuries to our WR corp, the young talent has come in and stepped up to fill the voids.

Intangible negatives:
Leading receiver Winningham is out for the season with broken arm.
Numerous other injuries are forcing our already young lines to play even younger kids. Freshmen are out there!

Outlook: I think we will win 2 of the last 3. Just seems reasonable to me. That should be good enough for at least a share of the conference title and either an at large or a seed in the playoffs.

bwbear
November 4th, 2019, 10:18 AM
Here's my take:
Playoffs

IN:
UCA (7-2) - Good wins: Austin Peay, McNeese, SHSU. Bad losses: None. Left on schedule: SLU, SFA, UIW.

Potential at large:
SHSU (5-4) - Good wins: Nicholls, UIW, McNeese. Bad loss: Lamar. Left on schedule: ACU, NWST, HBU

ACU (5-4) - Good wins: McNeese, Nicholls. Bad loss: Lamar. Left on schedule: SHSU, SLU, Mississippi State (FBS)
Win two conference games with a good showing against Miss. State, bubble. Lose either conference game and out.

SLU (5-3) - Good wins: none. Bad losses: none. Left on schedule: UCA, ACU, Nicholls (That's a tough finishing stretch)

UIW (5-4) - Good wins: SLU, ACU. Bad loss: Northwestern State. Left on schedule: SFA, NMSU (FBS), UCA
Win out and in. Win out in conference and lose close to NMSU, bubble. Lose two and out.

McNeese (6-4) - Good wins: SLU. Bad loss: none. Left on schedule: Nicholls, Lamar

This is pretty much as I see it. If UCA wins out, we're a seed. We really need to go 1-2 in the final stretch to make it, as long as one of the losses is not to SFA. If we beat either SLU or UIW but lose to SFA, we may be a bubble team with a bad loss.

I think almost everyone else is in a win-out scenario. The teams that win out have a shot at an at-large. I think SHSU has a great shot, even though they will only have 7 D1 wins if they win out. They definitely have the easier road than anyone else. This week with ACU is a big one for both of those teams. A win keeps hopes alive, a loss and they are done.

bwbear
November 4th, 2019, 10:19 AM
Lots of fans of SLC teams pulling for a few UCA losses of course. xlolx

Except for SHSU, who really needs us to win out to help them out.

Daytripper
November 4th, 2019, 10:21 AM
Except for SHSU, who really needs us to win out to help them out.

ABSOLUTELY! GO, BEARS! Actually, a UIW win against you would probably be good for us.

BEAR
November 4th, 2019, 10:24 AM
What about Nicholls?

5-4 with three games left. They could be 8-4 with wins over UCA, UIW, McNeese and SLU. xeyebrowx

Daytripper
November 4th, 2019, 10:25 AM
What about Nicholls?

5-4 with three games left. They could be 8-4 with wins over UCA, UIW, McNeese and SLU. xeyebrowx
Damn! Brain fart. I will edit and add them.

Daytripper
November 4th, 2019, 10:29 AM
Prediction: Southland will get three in the playoffs.
Most likely scenario: Auto: UCA At-large: SHSU and Nicholls

bwbear
November 4th, 2019, 10:38 AM
Nobowls not showing the SLC any love.

Daytripper
November 4th, 2019, 10:44 AM
Nobowls not showing the SLC any love.

There will be some major changes of thought after the next three weeks, I think.

SpreadTheWord
November 4th, 2019, 10:49 AM
UIW is done. They won't beat NMSU or UCA.

Daytripper
November 4th, 2019, 10:52 AM

If Nicholls, UIW, and SHSU all win out, there might be an argument for four Southland teams in the playoffs.

WrenFGun
November 4th, 2019, 11:20 AM

SLC may have 5 or 6 teams eligible, but this is the most likely scenario IMO.

Outsider1
November 4th, 2019, 12:03 PM
It's a crapshoot.......

lionsrking2
November 4th, 2019, 12:06 PM
If you consider UIW is a good win for Nicholls, Jacksonville State is a good win for SLU. Especially when they were at full strength at the time we played them.

Daytripper
November 4th, 2019, 12:22 PM
If you consider UIW is a good win for Nicholls, Jacksonville State is a good win for SLU. Especially when they were at full strength at the time we played them.

Yeah, I thought about making the JSU win a good win, but they they don't have any good wins either. UIW beat you guys and ACU, so I consider them a good conference win. Also, I was really just focusing on conference games..

lionsrking2
November 4th, 2019, 12:47 PM
Yeah, I thought about making the JSU win a good win, but they they don't have any good wins either. UIW beat you guys and ACU, so I consider them a good conference win. Also, I was really just focusing on conference games..

Eastern Washington for JSU is a far better win than beating UIW, regardless of the records.

Daytripper
November 4th, 2019, 12:57 PM
Eastern Washington for JSU is a far better win than beating UIW, regardless of the records.

EWU is hot garbage this year.

McNeese72
November 4th, 2019, 03:20 PM
Well, McNeese sits at 6-4 with an open date this weekend. Then we go to Thibodaux and play Nicholls. If, by some miracle, we pull out a win and then we beat Lamar, we could finish 8-4 and have 8 Div I wins. We did not play a Div II team. And we beat the 2 teams who will probably play in the SWAC championship game (yeah, I know it doesn't mean much but it sounds good). So what does that give us. Probably nothing because we went 9-2 two years ago and didn't get in. But we could make it interesting. Not holding my breath on a win in Thibodaux, though.

Doc

katss07
November 4th, 2019, 03:24 PM
Completely a crapshoot, but here is my take...

UCA should be in, even if they lose a game. I expect them to take the automatic bid.

If SHSU and Nicholls win out we should have three teams in. Both have a pair of good wins.

If SELA can find a way against UCA, the game against Nicholls could be a win and you’re in game.

UIW and McNeese have to pray for bubble chaos to find themselves in.

bwbear
November 4th, 2019, 03:36 PM
Completely a crapshoot, but here is my take...

UCA should be in, even if they lose a game. I expect them to take the automatic bid.

If SHSU and Nicholls win out we should have three teams in. Both have a pair of good wins.

If SELA can find a way against UCA, the game against Nicholls could be a win and you’re in game.

UIW and McNeese have to pray for bubble chaos to find themselves in.

This is pretty much what I posted on UCA's board just now.

Strange things can happen these last few weeks, though.

Daytripper
November 4th, 2019, 04:21 PM
This is pretty much what I posted on UCA's board just now.

Strange things can happen these last few weeks, though.

At the end of the season the SLC will have anywhere between 1 and 4 teams in the playoffs. All 4 possibilities have about an equal chance of happening.

FormerPokeCenter
November 4th, 2019, 05:57 PM
There's no way for the SLC to have four playoff teams. Nicholls, SELA and McNeese all have to win out for that to happen, but Nicholls and McNeese cannot both win out because they still have to play each other. Two man enter, one man leave. ....Neither can SELA and Nicholls, so it's the same scenario.

More than likely the SLC gets two...the Autobid...and whoever's left standing in the McNeese/SELA/Nicholls/SHSU log jam. Sam appears to have the easiest path, but c'mon, the SLC is at best a two-bid league this year. McNeese got left at home with a 9-2 a few years ago. I don't see them getting in with an 8-4, assuming they win out.

Daytripper
November 4th, 2019, 06:30 PM
There's no way for the SLC to have four playoff teams. Nicholls, SELA and McNeese all have to win out for that to happen, but Nicholls and McNeese cannot both win out because they still have to play each other. Two man enter, one man leave. ....Neither can SELA and Nicholls, so it's the same scenario.

More than likely the SLC gets two...the Autobid...and whoever's left standing in the McNeese/SELA/Nicholls/SHSU log jam. Sam appears to have the easiest path, but c'mon, the SLC is at best a two-bid league this year. McNeese got left at home with a 9-2 a few years ago. I don't see them getting in with an 8-4, assuming they win out.

UIW can win out along with SHSU and Nicholls. They play SFA, New Mexico State and UCA. If they win all three, I think they get in.

FormerPokeCenter
November 4th, 2019, 06:46 PM
At best, the SLC could get three in, maybe, if the planets align and the committee cocks their head to the side, squints and hold their tongues just so...perhaps....

I'm gonna double down on two teams...maybe even one, depending on the craziness that happens over the next three weeks...

Daytripper
November 4th, 2019, 06:50 PM
At best, the SLC could get three in, maybe, if the planets align and the committee cocks their head to the side, squints and hold their tongues just so...perhaps....

I'm gonna double down on two teams...maybe even one, depending on the craziness that happens over the next three weeks...

I think two is a lock and three a strong possibility. Four is just like you said: planets aligning.

FormerPokeCenter
November 4th, 2019, 07:06 PM
Four is impossible! ;)

bwbear
November 4th, 2019, 07:16 PM
Four is possible just as Daytripper outlined.

UCA only drops to UIW.
SHSU wins out.
Nicholls wins out.
UIW wins out, including an FBS scalp.

I think to solidify this, there needs to be a bit of help above for SHSU, Nicholls, and UIW. Maybe an APSU late season collapse, or another top 25 team imploding over the last 3 weeks. But even if UIW beat UCA, a loss to NMST may knock them out of contention.

FormerPokeCenter
November 4th, 2019, 07:19 PM
Again...4 SLC teams isn't going to happen...

Three would be a minor miracle.

SFA 93
November 4th, 2019, 08:05 PM
Let's see, whose season can we ruin? xnodx

Daytripper
November 4th, 2019, 08:10 PM

You can. And you likely will. My bet is UIW.

FormerPokeCenter
November 4th, 2019, 08:13 PM

You mean besides your own ? ;)

BEAR
November 5th, 2019, 10:16 AM
Are any SLC teams doing a promotion this weekend?

UCA is charging $1.50 for admission to the game this weekend to honour 150 years of college football.

Daytripper
November 5th, 2019, 10:18 AM
You mean besides your own ? ;)

Exactly. Just when I think SFA has maybe turned the corner, they take a large step back. Of course, I'm not complaining but the rivalry with them would be much better if they were more competitive in the conference.

FormerPokeCenter
November 5th, 2019, 10:20 AM

UCA is charging $1.50 for admission to the game this weekend to honour 150 years of college football.

McNeese's stadium will be silent this weekend, in homage to the fact that we haven't made any noise in the playoffs since 2002.

Well, that, and the fact that it's open week....

FormerPokeCenter
November 5th, 2019, 10:23 AM
Exactly. Just when I think SFA has maybe turned the corner, they take a large step back. Of course, I'm not complaining but the rivalry with them would be much better if they were more competitive in the conference.

I miss the rivalry with Northwestern. Don't get me wrong, I'm really enjoying the fact that they haven't won in Lake Charles since 1988, but one sided rivalries aren't a whole lotta fun. I miss the days when the winner of the annual McNeese/Northwestern first cousin knife fight was the conference champ.

Serpentor
November 5th, 2019, 01:43 PM

Come on Lumberjacks, spread the misery around a bit this season!

Serpentor
November 5th, 2019, 01:44 PM

Bowers Stadium will be completely empty this Saturday, in honor of all the fans who never show up for home games anyway.

Outsider1
November 5th, 2019, 01:49 PM
Bowers Stadium will be completely empty this Saturday, in honor of all the fans who never show up for home games anyway.

Because all of you Bearkat fans should be at Wildcat stadium this weekend :)

Lehigh Football Nation
November 5th, 2019, 02:05 PM

Just keep winning and make the SLC a autobid-only conference!

SFA 93
November 5th, 2019, 02:28 PM
We’ve had 1 winning season in 8 years, and 4 winning seasons in 15 years, 5 head coaches, and I can’t count how many OCs in that time frame. Ain’t like we are new to this lol

I’ve got to have something to root for. Lol

What did I say at the beginning of the season?

I’ll believe it when I see it.

McNeese72
November 5th, 2019, 02:41 PM

Yes, we have totally free admittance to everybody this weekend in our game against Bye U.

Doc

Daytripper
November 5th, 2019, 03:03 PM
We’ve had 1 winning season in 8 years, and 4 winning seasons in 15 years, 5 head coaches, and I can’t count how many OCs in that time frame. Ain’t like we are new to this lol

I’ve got to have something to root for. Lol

What did I say at the beginning of the season?

I’ll believe it when I see it.

Gotta be frustrating to be that consistently bad. I realize that the last decade or so (minus the last two years) of SHSU's success is unique and probably won't be repeated. But I hope we will remain competitive and make the playoffs on a semi-consistent basis. And make a deep playoff run every now and again...kind of Ron Randleman style.

SFA 93
November 5th, 2019, 05:36 PM
Well one good thing of our team this season is this young man

Xavier Gipson, WR/KR, Stephen F. Austin: 37 receptions, 619 yards, 4 TDs; 21.6 KO return average; 109.7 all-purpose yards per game (9 games)

made the Rice Award Watch List.

We were lucky to get him, as he had originally committed to SMU.

Tamrick Pace coming back next year with Gibson on the other side should be great for the passing game in 2020.

Puddin Tane
November 5th, 2019, 07:10 PM
Gotta be frustrating to be that consistently bad. I realize that the last decade or so (minus the last two years) of SHSU's success is unique and probably won't be repeated. But I hope we will remain competitive and make the playoffs on a semi-consistent basis. And make a deep playoff run every now and again...kind of Ron Randleman style.

you wish for playoffs, we wish for a first down...or if we dare to dream big, a downfield pass

stick a fork in LU...we got nuthin. NWST gonna beat the stuffing out of us, maybe stay within 2 tds of hbu,
then a good beat down by Mcneese to wrap things up.

navy could pass for 500 yards against us....our offensive playbook was stolen from Deweyville jr hi.

Can an you fire a coach one year after a playoff appearance?

Daytripper
November 5th, 2019, 10:17 PM
you wish for playoffs, we wish for a first down...or if we dare to dream big, a downfield pass

stick a fork in LU...we got nuthin. NWST gonna beat the stuffing out of us, maybe stay within 2 tds of hbu,

navy could pass for 500 yards against us....our offensive playbook was stolen from Deweyville jr hi.

Step back from the ledge.....

Daytripper
November 6th, 2019, 07:16 AM

The thing is Lamar has some serious advantages in the Southland. You guys are in a pretty populated area that has some great high school football players. You have facilities that are in the upper half of the the conference. You just need to get the right people in charge.

BEAR
November 6th, 2019, 09:44 AM
The thing is Lamar has some serious advantages in the Southland. You guys are in a pretty populated area that has some great high school football players. You have facilities that are in the upper half of the the conference. You just need to get the right people in charge.

Exactly. Texas is a mecca for talent. Most SLC schools should have very little problem harvesting there. I'm keeping my eye on ACU the next few years. Great facilites and in Texas = Advantage.

Daytripper
November 6th, 2019, 09:48 AM
Exactly. Texas is a mecca for talent. Most SLC schools should have very little problem harvesting there. I'm keeping my eye on ACU the next few years. Great facilites and in Texas = Advantage.

What also helps ACU is their relative isolation from other universities that compete for recruits. They should get all of the 1-2 star recruits from Abilene.

BEAR
November 6th, 2019, 10:00 AM
What also helps ACU is their relative isolation from other universities that compete for recruits. They should get all of the 1-2 star recruits from Abilene.

Yeah UCA travels to ACU next year and I'm thinking about road tripping it. Short flight or driving. Who knows. Depends on how I feel this time next September. But I want to see that stadium and the area.

Outsider1
November 6th, 2019, 11:02 AM

Yes and no, many top recruits in Abilene want to get OUT of Abilene. We are doing better than we have in the past though. We have several local players that are making a difference and like that family can come see them any time.

Outsider1
November 6th, 2019, 11:06 AM
Yeah UCA travels to ACU next year and I'm thinking about road tripping it. Short flight or driving. Who knows. Depends on how I feel this time next September. But I want to see that stadium and the area.

Took me right around 7 1/2 hours to drive to Conway this year. If you fly, you will have to go through Dallas. The only thing that flies in/out is American Eagle. Arkansas is WAY prettier than West Texas, but the stadium is very nice and has a great game atmosphere.

FormerPokeCenter
November 6th, 2019, 11:41 AM

The stadium is really nice...I like the concourse all the way around it, and I like the way they did the concessions and the restrooms...if they build a powerhouse, they have the ability to really expand the place...It's gorgeous, and cozy...

For the UCA fans traveling to ACU, I would encourage them to take a long gaze at the color of the playing surface. It's very aesthetically pleasing. UCA might consider talking to the designer of said field for tips on how to improve that pimpish looking rug that's currently covering your football field.

As to the area, there are lots of good Barbecue places and Dinosaur Valley State park is on the Paluxy River, about an hour closer to Dallas. It's pretty cool to see the Dino tracks in the river bed.

Bisonoline
November 6th, 2019, 10:23 PM
The stadium is really nice...I like the concourse all the way around it, and I like the way they did the concessions and the restrooms...if they build a powerhouse, they have the ability to really expand the place...It's gorgeous, and cozy...

For the UCA fans traveling to ACU, I would encourage them to take a long gaze at the color of the playing surface. It's very aesthetically pleasing. UCA might consider talking to the designer of said field for tips on how to improve that pimpish looking rug that's currently covering your football field.

As to the area, there are lots of good Barbecue places and Dinosaur Valley State park is on the Paluxy River, about an hour closer to Dallas. It's pretty cool to see the Dino tracks in the river bed.

Now thats cool. Might need to go see that.

Daytripper
November 7th, 2019, 06:04 AM
Now thats cool. Might need to go see that.

If you are going to be in Texas anyway, you might also visit the Waco Mammoth National Museum. https://www.waco-texas.com/cms-waco-mammoth/page.aspx?id=175
http://images.waco-texas.com/cms-waco-mammoth/images/slide-1.jpg

http://thumbor-prod-us-east-1.photo.aws.arc.pub/AdMxRLKgmBR9LOGAZDGNzUnhf3E=/arc-anglerfish-arc2-prod-dmn/public/ZSMMZJK3GFLV4SOCNE44ZQ477M.jpghttps://dmn-dallas-news-prod.cdn.arcpublishing.com/resizer//RyxrnbyfB_1_vQG4nhzhjinLcd4=/1660x934/smart/filters:no_upscale()/arc-anglerfish-arc2-prod-dmn.s3.amazonaws.com/public/ZSMMZJK3GFLV4SOCNE44ZQ477M.jpg

FormerPokeCenter
November 7th, 2019, 08:49 AM
And if you're in Waco, you might as well check out the Texas Ranger Museum, too.

BEAR
November 7th, 2019, 08:59 AM

Thats pretty cool. We’ve got those all over Arkansas. Apparently south Arkansas was coastal way back when and the biggies walked around here. You can go to stream beds in north central Arkansas at the Buffalo river and see them there too. Quite a humbling feeling. xlolx

Outsider1
November 7th, 2019, 09:53 AM
It is quite cool !!!

cx500d
November 7th, 2019, 02:03 PM
And if you're in Waco, you might as well check out the Texas Ranger Museum, too.
I thought that was in Arlington

FormerPokeCenter
November 7th, 2019, 02:48 PM
Not THOSE Texas Rangers....the kind who rode on horses and enforced the law!

https://www.texasranger.org/

I'm kinda partial to the one in Waco. My 2nd Great Grandfather's brand book is on display there.

Puddin Tane
November 7th, 2019, 11:39 PM

hard keeping kids at home, but I think it’s like that most anywhere.

FormerPokeCenter
November 8th, 2019, 09:09 AM
Lamar's facilities are in the upper 1/2 of the conference?

I dunno about that. The first time I ever saw the Montagne Center, and - granted - it's been a while, I couldn't decide if it was a distribution warehouse for the railroad, or a processing building for the adjacent oil refinery.

Gee, who could have a hard time convincing kids to come play in that palace?? ;)

Daytripper
November 8th, 2019, 09:27 AM

I dunno about that. The first time I ever saw the Montagne Center, and - granted - it's been a while, I couldn't decide if it was a distribution warehouse for the railroad, or a processing building for the adjacent oil refinery.

Gee, who could have a hard time convincing kids to come play in that palace?? ;)

Being in the upper half of the conference is not a high bar to achieve.

FormerPokeCenter
November 8th, 2019, 09:43 AM
I keep forgetting about SLU, HBU and SHSU ;)

Daytripper
November 8th, 2019, 01:20 PM
Since all the games but one have potential playoff implications, let's do a quick pick'em:

HBU @ Nicholls
SHSU @ ACU
SLU @ UCA
UIW @ SFA
Lamar @ NWST

Daytripper
November 8th, 2019, 01:23 PM
HBU @ Nicholls- HBU is circling the drain
SHSU @ ACU - This pick is based on the hope that Schmid plays
SLU @ UCA - UCA is peaking at the right time
UIW @ SFA - Whatever the over/under is, take the over
Lamar @ NWST- The Demons have found another gear

bwbear
November 8th, 2019, 05:21 PM
I'm basing my picks on what I think is best for the conference for playoff scenarios (and a UCA championship):

HBU @ Nicholls
SHSU @ ACU
SLU @ UCA
UIW @ SFA
Lamar @ NWST

Katfan
November 8th, 2019, 06:31 PM
Since all the games but one have potential playoff implications, let's do a quick pick'em:

HBU @ Nicholls
SHSU @ ACU
SLU @ UCA
UIW @ SFA
Lamar @ NWST

HBU @ Nicholls - HBU is who we thought they were
SHSU @ ACU - Schmid ain’t playing
SLU @ UCA - Bears kick a field goal as time expires to win by 1
UIW @ SFA - Well I have no idea
Lamar @ NWST - Demons have played tough all year

Puddin Tane
November 8th, 2019, 06:32 PM

had to google to see yalls place. Cute little gym, y’all share it with Barbe?

Puddin Tane
November 8th, 2019, 06:35 PM
HBU @ Nicholls
SHSU @ ACU
SLU @ UCA
UIW @ SFA
Lamar @ NWST

Outsider1
November 8th, 2019, 08:35 PM
HBU @ Nicholls - HBU did what it could early on, but Nicholls is too much
SHSU @ ACU - Schmidt probably isn't playing and ACU will be playing with the same vigor they took to Huntsville last year. SHSU's defense will give us fits, but I think we can squeek it out again.
SLU @ UCA - Why would I pick any different at this point?
UIW @ SFA - UIW is still playing well.
Lamar @ NWST - Agree, the Demons are playing very well right now.

Puddin Tane
November 10th, 2019, 12:12 AM
HBU @ Nicholls - HBU did what it could early on, but Nicholls is too much
SHSU @ ACU - Schmidt probably isn't playing and ACU will be playing with the same vigor they took to Huntsville last year. SHSU's defense will give us fits, but I think we can squeek it out again.
SLU @ UCA - Why would I pick any different at this point?
UIW @ SFA - UIW is still playing well.
Lamar @ NWST - Agree, the Demons are playing very well right now.

oh man, we just plain ole suck! We are now playing a wr at qb, and a TE (was a qb 4 years ago) out of the wildcat...it’s painful to watch

Schultz gotta go!

oh..what the h went on in Conway?

lionsrking2
November 10th, 2019, 12:19 AM
oh..what the h went on in Conway?

We got healthy in the secondary ... as much as possible anyway. And we didn't give the ball to the other team.

LionUp
November 10th, 2019, 08:23 AM
We got healthy in the secondary ... as much as possible anyway. And we didn't give the ball to the other team.

Absolutely. And honestly, if not for turnovers, easily top two in the SLC. But we did have them, so we’re in a 4 way tie.

UIW’s loss this weekend hasn’t helped our effort, nor Lamar’s, but in the end it’s a four way tie at the top of the conference and the Lions need to win out and let the cards fall where they may. Winning out would knock off Nichols, but then where would McNeese fall out since they have Nichols next game? SLC is crazy and will be interesting to see how the at-large’s pan out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lionsrking2
November 10th, 2019, 08:48 AM
Absolutely. And honestly, if not for turnovers, easily top two in the SLC. But we did have them, so we’re in a 4 way tie.

UIW’s loss this weekend hasn’t helped our effort, nor Lamar’s, but in the end it’s a four way tie at the top of the conference and the Lions need to win out and let the cards fall where they may. Winning out would knock off Nichols, but then where would McNeese fall out since they have Nichols next game? SLC is crazy and will be interesting to see how the at-large’s pan out.

One at a time

Daytripper
November 10th, 2019, 09:07 AM

You guys are scary. You just need to stay consistent.

Daytripper
November 10th, 2019, 09:19 AM
Here's my take:
Playoffs

IN:
UCA (7-2) - Good wins: Austin Peay, McNeese, SHSU, Western Kentucky (FBS). Bad losses: None. Left on schedule: SLU, SFA, UIW.

Potential at large:

Nicholls (5-4) - Good wins: UCA, UIW. Bad loss: None. Left on schedule: HBU, McNeese, SLU

SELA 6-3 (5-2) conference losses to McNeese and UIW. Remaining: ACU, Nicholls
Win out and in and at least conference co-champion, possible champion. Lose one and bubble. Lose two and out.

UCA 7-3 (5-2) conference losses to Nicholls and SELA. Remaining: SFA UIW
Win out and in, and possible conference champ/co-champion or at-large. Lose one and bubble. Lose two and out

SHSU 6-4 (5-2) conference losses to Lamar and UCA. Remaining: NWST, HBU
Win out and possible conference co-champion/champ or bubble. Lose one and out.

Nicholls 6-4 (5-2) conference losses to SHSU, ACU. Remaining: McNeese, SELA
Win out and possible conference co-champion or bubble. Lose one and out.

McNeese 6-4 (4-3) conference losses to ACU, SHSU, UCA. Remaining: Nicholls, Lamar
Win out and a weak bubble team. Lose one and out.

BEAR
November 10th, 2019, 09:56 AM
UCA is injury riddled. We lost 5 players against SHSU. We lost 3 more yesterday. Thin is an understatement. It showed last night. Our offense can only take us to wins if the other team is lacking in the pass defense category. I think we are down 3 or 4 CBs. We apparently are deciding to run the ball only 20 times a game now?! Really? I think it would be best if we lost one more and moved onto next year. Just too much to overcome IMO.

lionsrking2
November 10th, 2019, 10:04 AM
UCA is injury riddled. We lost 5 players against SHSU. We lost 3 more yesterday. Thin is an understatement. It showed last night. Our offense can only take us to wins if the other team is lacking in the pass defense category. I think we are down 3 or 4 CBs. We apparently are deciding to run the ball only 20 times a game now?! Really? I think it would be best if we lost one more and moved onto next year. Just too much to overcome IMO.

Join the crowd.

katss07
November 10th, 2019, 10:38 AM
Crazy weekend, wasn’t expecting that SELA/UCA result. Congrats Lions!

Question: If the season ended today, who would get the AQ? SELA? Nicholls? Sam?

lionsrking2
November 10th, 2019, 10:48 AM
Crazy weekend, wasn’t expecting that SELA/UCA result. Congrats Lions!

Question: If the season ended today, who would get the AQ? SELA? Nicholls? Sam?

Just glossing over the standings, and not taking a deep-dive look at it; as of now, it's impossible to determine because there isn't a common opponent (below the tied teams) that every tied team has played.

FormerPokeCenter
November 10th, 2019, 12:03 PM
I have a novel idea.....

Why don't we wait until all the games are played and see who's left standing?

I mean, call me crazy, but I think with just a couple of weeks left, that's not that radical of a suggestion...

McNeese72
November 10th, 2019, 12:06 PM
Join the crowd.

This! Of course, all the injuries we have had at McNeese is Top Secret stuff. ;)

Doc

Wildcat1997
November 10th, 2019, 01:09 PM

Can an you fire a coach one year after a playoff appearance?Something I've been wondering is what's the difference between Lamar this year compared to last year? What propelled that playoff appearance and why are y'all suddenly so bad now?

Puddin Tane
November 10th, 2019, 02:22 PM
Something I've been wondering is what's the difference between Lamar this year compared to last year? What propelled that playoff appearance and why are y'all suddenly so bad now?

new Co offensive coordinators, Schultz is calling plays, poor recruiting, lack of anything resembling a passing game, lost entire secondary, no one on roster who can throw a spiral, other SLC coaches recognizing that they just have to defend the run, lots of injuries,

Yesterday we played a wr and te at qb.

Daytripper
November 10th, 2019, 05:13 PM
new Co offensive coordinators, Schultz is calling plays, poor recruiting, lack of anything resembling a passing game, lost entire secondary, no one on roster who can throw a spiral, other SLC coaches recognizing that they just have to defend the run, lots of injuries,

Yesterday we played a wr and te at qb.

I am still completely dumbfounded that we lost to you guys. At home.

lionsrking2
November 10th, 2019, 05:16 PM

Lamar was pretty solid with Hoy healthy playing. I know they've had a ton of injuries, as has most everybody else.

McCowboys
November 10th, 2019, 05:35 PM
Reminder to whoever plays Northwestern State or SFA this season: Do not sleep on the Demons or Lumberjacks. Well, actually, don't sleep on any team in this conference. It is truly Any Given Saturday every Saturday in the SLC.

Lots of good teams in the conference, but absolutely no consistency. 34-0???

Daytripper
November 10th, 2019, 05:38 PM
Reminder to whoever plays Northwestern State or SFA this season: Do not sleep on the Demons or Lumberjacks. Well, actually, don't sleep on any team in this conference. It is truly Any Given Saturday every Saturday in the SLC.

Yeah. We have NWST this coming Saturday and I have absolutely no comfort level going into that game.

Katfan
November 10th, 2019, 06:20 PM
We gave them that game. No mystery!

FormerPokeCenter
November 10th, 2019, 06:28 PM
had to google to see yalls place. Cute little gym, y’all share it with Barbe?

I'm pretty sure Barbe could probably schedule a game there if they asked nicely. It is nice and cozy.

What could we do to make it more appealing for you? Paint it Tank Farm White???

lionsrking2
November 10th, 2019, 06:31 PM

True statement. The worst team in the Southland (HBU) beat the 6th place MVFC team on the road. A particular game can result in a blowout for a variety of reasons, but there are no layups in the SLC.

lionsrking2
November 10th, 2019, 06:33 PM

We know how you feel.

Daytripper
November 10th, 2019, 08:20 PM

It should never have been close enough to give.

Outsider1
November 10th, 2019, 08:41 PM
Well, for anyone who made the trip to Abilene I hope you guys enjoyed the game environment. I thought the military and 1st responder salute went well.

McNeese75
November 10th, 2019, 08:48 PM
We know how you feel.

Yes we do!

Daytripper
November 11th, 2019, 09:25 AM
Well, for anyone who made the trip to Abilene I hope you guys enjoyed the game environment. I thought the military and 1st responder salute went well.

The weather looked beautiful and the stadium is really nice. I'm guessing the cameras were focused on the visitor's side of the field because that side looked pretty empty. What was the home crowd like?

Outsider1
November 11th, 2019, 09:30 AM
The weather looked beautiful and the stadium is really nice. I'm guessing the cameras were focused on the visitor's side of the field because that side looked pretty empty. What was the home crowd like?

The home crowd was OK, but not as good of a turnout as I was hoping. Yeah, the visitors side was pretty bad. The student section was about 1/3 of usual. You guys actually had a decent turnout I thought.