PDA

View Full Version : MONMOUTH

MUHAWKS
November 2nd, 2019, 05:40 PM
Just wondering at this juncture where everyone thinks we stand? I have been chirping a bit about not getting respect in some of the polls, but last week we started to get some and after this week I assume we will crack the top 25 in both the coaches and Stats poll, although probably not AGS.

I know the feeling is that Kennesaw was overrated and I tend to agree as well, but 45-21 on the road speaks for itself. We have earned the right now to be overrated ourselves if that makes sense. I honestly think we can play with and beat most NON ELITE teams which is like about 3-4 teams (ND and SD state etc)..

So we still have- North Alabama, Campbell and Hampton. Campbell will be fired up b/c they can still win the Big South. But I agree that if we want to be consider legit good we need to win out getting us to 10-2.

Assuming we do that, is it fair to say that as a 10-2 auto bid with a win against a top 5 team, a win over Albany and a very respectable game against Montana on the road that we should get a home playoff game against a beatable team? When I say beatable I am not being a hypocrite since I said above I think we can play with 20 of the top 25 teams but I mean maybe get the Patriot league winner or last CAA team in at our place?

I know we wont be in line for a seed, but I will say this- Had Kennesaw beaten us they almost definitely would have gotten a seed with a worse resume than us. So based on that I would say that if we do win out and go 10-2 we should actually be in line for a seed, but frankly I understand people will still not take us very seriously..

Any thoughts and comments appreciated.

**sidenote -- A KSU player went down and was being attended to for a solid 20-30 minutes. They cut his facemask off and he was carted off where I did NOT see him moving, no thumbs up. I DID see him move while down tough.. Hope he is ok and if any KSU people have word pls let me know..

Daytripper
November 2nd, 2019, 05:43 PM
Just wondering at this juncture where everyone thinks we stand? I have been chirping a bit about not getting respect in some of the polls, but last week we started to get some and after this week I assume we will crack the top 25 in both the coaches and Stats poll, although probably not AGS.

I know the feeling is that Kennesaw was overrated and I tend to agree as well, but 45-21 on the road speaks for itself. We have earned the right now to be overrated ourselves if that makes sense. I honestly think we can play with and beat most NON ELITE teams which is like about 3-4 teams (ND and SD state etc)..

So we still have- North Alabama, Campbell and Hampton. Campbell will be fired up b/c they can still win the Big South. But I agree that if we want to be consider legit good we need to win out getting us to 10-2.

Assuming we do that, is it fair to say that as a 10-2 auto bid with a win against a top 5 team, a win over Albany and a very respectable game against Montana on the road that we should get a home playoff game against a beatable team? When I say beatable I am not being a hypocrite since I said above I think we can play with 20 of the top 25 teams but I mean maybe get the Patriot league winner or last CAA team in at our place?

I know we wont be in line for a seed, but I will say this- Had Kennesaw beaten us they almost definitely would have gotten a seed with a worse resume than us. So based on that I would say that if we do win out and go 10-2 we should actually be in line for a seed, but frankly I understand people will still not take us very seriously..

**sidenote -- A KSU player went down and was being attended to for a solid 20-30 minutes. They cut his facemask off and he was carted off where I did NOT see him moving, no thumbs up. I DID see him move while down tough.. Hope he is ok and if any KSU people have word pls let me know..

It is my understanding that if you don't get a seed, the home playoff first round games are determined by bids submitted to the NCAA.

MUHAWKS
November 2nd, 2019, 05:45 PM
It is my understanding that if you don't get a seed, the home playoff first round games are determined by bid submitted to the NCAA.

I think you may be right, thanks for reminding me.. Not good for us (if we do even get in) b/c although our campus is gorgeous and facilities are new and good, it is a bit small. It seems like other than the seeds, the 1st rd is crapshoot, meaning a really good deserving team doesn't automatically get the worst team in and so forth. Its sort of a crapshoot based on geography and who bids for home game etc..

BisonTru
November 2nd, 2019, 05:49 PM
Whether you get a first round home game depends entirely if you out bid whatever school you are paired with. You’re also likely to be paired with a team within a bus trip. Less than 400 mile radius. Playoff teams within that distance are your likely first round matchup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BisonTru
November 2nd, 2019, 05:54 PM
Villanova, Towson, or Stony Brook all look like very realistic first round matchups.

MUHAWKS
November 2nd, 2019, 06:00 PM
Yep-- Or NEC or Patriot league winner.. that is IF we get in- WE could fk up and lose to Campbell creating a possible 3 way tie..

BisonTru
November 2nd, 2019, 06:03 PM
Yep-- Or NEC or Patriot league winner.. that is IF we get in- WE could fk up and lose to Campbell creating a possible 3 way tie..

Yes possible. Although I’d say a CAA team is most likely as there’s probably going to be a few CAA teams in, in the northeast and they’ll work to match them up with non CAA teams in the area.

KPSUL
November 2nd, 2019, 06:24 PM

Congratulations on a big win today! I'll give you my 2 cents on a coupe of your questions. Monmouth should undoubtedly be ranked this week, and where ever that is, it must be higher than KSU - if they are ranked at all. I couldn't tell you where I'd put Monmouth until the games are over, but no where near the top 8. Even winning out, don't expect to be seeded - but who knows, the way top ranked teams keep losing anything might be possible. KSU had no business being as ranked as high as they've been this season. That was a result of some pretty big wins the last two previous seasons. Because of the terribly weak SOS they have in 2019, I had their ceiling below the top 8 even if they had won out. So if you get the autobid, you will have to bid for a home filed just like all the other 15 unseeded teams. I sort of doubt that your school would outbid and of the CAA teams who end up in the playoffs, so you should be hoping for a Patriot or NEC champion as your 1st round opponent.

Lion1983
November 2nd, 2019, 06:30 PM
Congrats Monmouth on the win...

aceinthehole
November 2nd, 2019, 06:41 PM
This really shakes things up in the East, along with a few other results from the CAA this week:

#9 Kennesaw State (7-2, 2-1 Big South) L, 21-45 vs. Monmouth
#11 Villanova (6-3, 3-3 CAA) L, 20-28 at New Hampshire
#12 Princeton (7-0, 4-0 Ivy) W, 21-7 at Cornell
#15 Dartmouth (7-0, 4-0 Ivy) W, 9-6 at Harvard
#19 Central Connecticut (8-1, 4-0 NEC) W, 27-13 at Wagner
#20 Stony Brook (5-4, 2-3 CAA) L, 10-30 at Richmond
#21 Towson (5-4, 2-3 CAA) W, 31-24 at Delaware
New Hampshire (5-3, 4-1 CAA) W, 28-20 at #11 Villanova
Richmond (5-4, 4-1 CAA) W, 30-10 vs. #20 Stony Brook
Albany (5-4, 3-2 CAA) L, 31-47 vs. Maine
Monmouth (7-2, 4-0 Big South) W, 45-21 at #9 Kennesaw State
Holy Cross (5-4, 3-0 Patriot) W, 24-17 at Lehigh

KSU should probably drop out of the Top-25 entirely, and certainly should fall below Princeton, Dartmouth, Central Connecticut (and Monmouth)
Villanova is likely to drop more than a few spots and has potentially put a seed out of reach.
Princeton, Dartmouth, and CCSU all win and will likely rise, but I think the Ivys have come close to reaching their ceiling, while Central has some more room to move.
Will Stony Brook and Towson stay ranked - if so, based on what? UNH, Richmond and even Albany make a better case.
Monmouth will certainly be ranked - the question is where do you place them to start?
Holy Cross probably doesn't make the cut yet, but with 3 games in front of them and a win at UNH, they will start to get a closer look

MUHAWKS
November 2nd, 2019, 06:43 PM
Thanks KPSUL and LION- it def feels good. Its the hump we couldnt get over and in no way is this the end of the road.. And I see you UNA, honestly at the beginning of the year there were 3 games I was "nervous" about- Not Kennesaw or Montana. But Wagner, Campbell and North Alabama. Wagner b/c they were an old NEC rival and ALWAYS play us tough. Campbell b/c they are on the rise and its on the road and UNA b/c ya'll seem to have some really good athletes. Obviously on paper and based on performance this year we should win but every team has tough games and slips up and hopefully we already did that with out close win against Wagner but as confident as I am in our team, you never know what day your team will be flat and the other team just has your number..

Lion1983
November 2nd, 2019, 08:00 PM
Thanks KPSUL and LION- it def feels good. Its the hump we couldnt get over and in no way is this the end of the road.. And I see you UNA, honestly at the beginning of the year there were 3 games I was "nervous" about- Not Kennesaw or Montana. But Wagner, Campbell and North Alabama. Wagner b/c they were an old NEC rival and ALWAYS play us tough. Campbell b/c they are on the rise and its on the road and UNA b/c ya'll seem to have some really good athletes. Obviously on paper and based on performance this year we should win but every team has tough games and slips up and hopefully we already did that with out close win against Wagner but as confident as I am in our team, you never know what day your team will be flat and the other team just has your number..
Dont worry about UNA, we have no depth and tend to shoot ourselves in the foot with penalties.

We may beat Gardner Webb, (or may not) but I dont think we have much of a chance with yall.

Next couple of years, yeah we should be able to make some good programs very nervous when we build some depth, but until then, we will just take our lumps, learn and move on.

Schism55
November 2nd, 2019, 08:03 PM
Congrats Monmouth! Well done xthumbsupx

fencer24
November 2nd, 2019, 08:07 PM
Even winning out, I see Monmouth having to play in the first round while the seeds sit. They may get lucky and get an easy match, but after that, they will probably be playing one of the top seeds.
We will see.

JacksFan40
November 2nd, 2019, 08:40 PM
I’ll hold my breath on Monmouth. I still remember what UNI did to them in 2017 when Monmouth was supposed to be really good.

KPSUL
November 2nd, 2019, 08:47 PM
I’ll hold my breath on Monmouth. I still remember what UNI did to them in 2017 when Monmouth was supposed to be really good.

One game a couple of years ago should have no effect on a 2019 ranking. I was AT the SDSU @ JMU game in 2016 and I still have SDSU in the top 3. Enough said?

KSUFAN
November 2nd, 2019, 08:49 PM
MUHAWKS you guys came in kicked us around in our own backyard. Congrats on the win! The player that went down is in the hospital getting tests run. Hopefully he is ok. I said it before if KSU doesn't win the Big South then I really don't think they have any business in the playoffs. I stand by that. Good luck the rest of the way!

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 2nd, 2019, 08:50 PM

Monmouth will get curb stomped by whomever they play in the 2nd round if they even make it that far. Probably curb stomped in the 1st round.

PantherRob82
November 2nd, 2019, 09:18 PM
Their only playoff worthy opponent beat them by 20, but Missoula is a tough place to play. The Albany win seems decent. A 3pt win over 2-7 Lafeyette doesn't exactly give me confidence in the Hawks.

Seeing the program in person in 2017 I have a hard time believing they could be seed worthy 2 years later, but I know programs can grow.

BurialGround
November 2nd, 2019, 09:33 PM
Congrats to Monmouth. You kicked our asses and deserved that win. Worst loss in program history for the Owls. The fact that we're in rebuilding mode has been exposed. Defense was supposed to be our rock this year, with most starters returning, but our D has really been exposed (as I thought it would be). This DC from the Citadel is in way over his head, terrible hire. Bad schemes and no fundamentals, can't tackle, can't get off blocks, can't cover a receiver to save our lives. Will be interesting to see how Coach Bo handles this going forward.

Lion1983
November 3rd, 2019, 06:52 AM
Congrats to Monmouth. You kicked our asses and deserved that win. Worst loss in program history for the Owls. The fact that we're in rebuilding mode has been exposed. Defense was supposed to be our rock this year, with most starters returning, but our D has really been exposed (as I thought it would be). This DC from the Citadel is in way over his head, terrible hire. Bad schemes and no fundamentals, can't tackle, can't get off blocks, can't cover a receiver to save our lives. Will be interesting to see how Coach Bo handles this going forward.

You know what I really like about y'alls coach?
He has class, and tells it like it is. No coach talk.

The class, I watched the interview after the UNA game and he spoke about the misfortune of one of our players losing his fiance in a tragic car accident.

Then after the Monmouth game, he basically just said, we got our asses handed to us. Gave all the credit to Monmouth, and took all the blame for his team... I like him.

Admittedly, at first I didnt, with his crazy eyes and all, but now, I really do. KSU has a top quality coach.

JayJ79
November 3rd, 2019, 07:36 AM
Whether you get a first round home game depends entirely if you out bid whatever school you are paired with. You’re also likely to be paired with a team within a bus trip. Less than 400 mile radius. Playoff teams within that distance are your likely first round matchup.

They sent Monmouth to UNI for the first round in 2017 (which is an 1110 mile trip). So it isn't always within the 400 bus radius.
(man, that was a lopsided game that year. And UNI wasn't even all that good that season)

JacksFan40
November 3rd, 2019, 07:40 AM
One game a couple of years ago should have no effect on a 2019 ranking. I was AT the SDSU @ JMU game in 2016 and I still have SDSU in the top 3. Enough said?
Difference is SDSU made it to the semifinals and had one of the worst performances in FCS history. SDSU also made it back to the semifinals a year later. Monmouth was completely destroyed in the first round by an ok UNI team and didn’t make the playoffs last year.

JayJ79
November 3rd, 2019, 07:42 AM
found a newspaper article about the injury.
https://www.mdjonline.com/cobb_football_friday/kennesaw-state-tight-end-hospitalized-after-on-field-injury/article_6e7fc670-fdbf-11e9-9665-274882f2a864.html

Redbird 4th & short
November 3rd, 2019, 08:58 AM
They sent Monmouth to UNI for the first round in 2017 (which is an 1110 mile trip). So it isn't always within the 400 bus radius.
(man, that was a lopsided game that year. And UNI wasn't even all that good that season)

UNI was very good that season, they played the #1 SOS and went 8-5 .. all their losses were to top 10 caliber teams and nearly all were competitive losses. Same could be said for 8-4 WIU that year, losing by 2 to very good Weber St team in 1st round .. all their losses were to top 10 caliber teams and they played the #3 SOS.

BurialGround
November 3rd, 2019, 01:55 PM
You know what I really like about y'alls coach?
He has class, and tells it like it is. No coach talk.

The class, I watched the interview after the UNA game and he spoke about the misfortune of one of our players losing his fiance in a tragic car accident.

Then after the Monmouth game, he basically just said, we got our asses handed to us. Gave all the credit to Monmouth, and took all the blame for his team... I like him.

Admittedly, at first I didnt, with his crazy eyes and all, but now, I really do. KSU has a top quality coach.

Agreed, I love Coach Bo. People are upset that he's showing so much loyalty to the senior starting QB when the guys behind him have been better. It is what it is. But his DC hire is looking very bad. To return almost every starter on that side of the ball, and yet be this much worse than the year before, is very concerning.

putter
November 3rd, 2019, 02:24 PM
IMO, Bahar is a legit QB and will give anyone they play fits. Do they have the depth to win a first round game? I think so, after that it is hard for anyone to win @ a seed.

ngineer
November 4th, 2019, 12:29 PM
No question I had you my poll this week and not, with the bottom feeders. That was an excellent win for the Hawks, on the raod against at team with a lot of momentum. I have them in what I call my 'third tier' of schools that always seem to be in flux. (12-18). You guys have taken a lot of crap or been dissed in recent years and it's nice to see the program succeeding.

Seahawks Fan
November 7th, 2019, 10:06 AM
Congratulations to Monmouth. Good win.

MR. CHICKEN
November 7th, 2019, 10:18 AM
No question I had you my poll this week and not, with the bottom feeders. That was an excellent win for the Hawks, on the raod against at team with a lot of momentum. I have them in what I call my 'third tier' of schools that always seem to be in flux. (12-18). You guys have taken a lot of crap or been dissed in recent years and it's nice to see the program succeeding.

......AN' AH HAD YA'S....#24.....IN DUH PRESEASON......NOW DAT'S FAITH.......BRAWK!

CenMEBlackBearFan
November 7th, 2019, 11:48 AM
Great win Monmouth and good luck in the playoffs. Look forward to hosting you guys next year.xdrunkyx

caribbeanhen
November 8th, 2019, 09:41 PM
just watched the first half of the KennyDoll State blow out, wow is Monmouth really good? they sure looked pretty good

FUBeAR
November 8th, 2019, 11:42 PM
Yes - the hawks looked good playing a pretender, but they still lost to the Griz by 3 scores & have squeaked by a couple of lesser Teams - 4-4 Laugh-I-ette and 1 & 8 Wagon-er.

Professor Chaos
November 9th, 2019, 07:17 AM
Yes - the hawks looked good playing a pretender, but they still lost to the Griz by 3 scores & have squeaked by a couple of lesser Teams - 4-4 Laugh-I-ette and 1 & 8 Wagon-er.
Those close wins versus bad teams early in the season are worthy of criticism but I have a hard time dinging them too much for that loss in Missoula. It was a one score game with 10 minutes to play. If Montana is the top 8 team everyone thinks they are (and we all know WaGriz is a tough place to play) you can't fault Monmouth very much for losing that game in the way they did.