PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Predictions.

Ronbo
May 15th, 2007, 09:03 AM
I've seen the SoCon and Southland discussing their predictions and I've been waiting for someone to get a Big Sky thread started. Here goes. It's real tough to pick the Sky as there is always a surprise team and always games that are lost that shouldn't have been.

Montana 10-1, 7-1

Portland State 8-3, 6-2

Montana State 8-3, 6-2

Northern Arizona 6-5, 5-3

Eastern Washington 6-5, 4-4

Weber State 5-6, 3-5

Sac State 4-7, 2-6

Idaho State 4-7, 2-6

N. Colorado 2-9, 1-7

Any Weber or Idaho State guys out there????

GtFllsGriz
May 15th, 2007, 09:12 AM
I cannot find anything to disagree with you Rombo. I think it will be the typical battle in the Sky. MSU and PSU will be tough with EWU and NAU capable of winning any game on any given Saturday.

PantherRob82
May 15th, 2007, 09:20 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that Montana makes the playoffs. xrolleyesx

RabidRabbit
May 15th, 2007, 09:46 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that Montana makes the playoffs. xrolleyesx

Yeah? xconfusedx The trunk limb? xlmaox xlmaox

BTW, Ronbo pegs well on predictions

Umass74
May 15th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Montana goes 11-0 in the regular season.

Col Hogan
May 15th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Montana goes 11-0 in the regular season.

With their schedule, they better....

I don't see Portland or MSU upsetting the Griz...battle in BSC is for #2.

Ronbo
May 15th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Actually our schedule is as tough as last years because MSU, PSU, NAU, and EWU will all be better than last season.

Go Bison
May 15th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Actually our schedule is as tough as last years because MSU, PSU, NAU, and EWU will all be better than last season.

Umm, I think people are referring to your weak out of conference schedule.

Cleets
May 15th, 2007, 10:00 AM

I'll buy 1/2 of that statement...

-

Cleets
May 15th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Umm, I think people are referring to your weak out of conference schedule.

Who are you guys playing Out-Of-Conference this season..?

(Not trying to fight just asking)

-

Ronbo
May 15th, 2007, 10:03 AM
I'll give you Fort Lewis.

Albany whipped Delaware last season and returns 18 starters.

Southern Utah returns 17 starters and has 10 transfers, they won't be easy.

OB55
May 15th, 2007, 10:04 AM

-

S. Utah and Ft. Lewis College? Oh yeah forgot about Albany.

laxVik
May 15th, 2007, 11:08 AM
I assume Carroll College wasn't available due to prior commitments?

OB55
May 15th, 2007, 11:13 AM

The Griz may have to break down and play the Saints, they been claiming to be the best football team in Montana for several years now, and you can only take so much of that. I hear that stuff all the time in the news, the paper, and in my town. And I live in Wyoming.

C'mon Griz, schedule the Saints.

NE MT GRIZZ
May 15th, 2007, 11:23 AM

Carroll would probably be a step up From Ft. Lewis.

dbackjon
May 15th, 2007, 11:25 AM
With their schedule, they better....

I don't see Portland or MSU upsetting the Griz...battle in BSC is for #2.

Already pencilling in Montana for a win AT NAU???

89Hen
May 15th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Beat me to it Rob. xlolx

OB55
May 15th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Carroll would probably be a step up From Ft. Lewis.

One will never find out until they step out of their comfort zone, playing all the frontier schools twice each year.

Think I might put my money on Ft. Lewis against Carroll.

Ronbo
May 15th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Already pencilling in Montana for a win AT NAU???

I think that one really scares me along with the MSU game. If the Griz slip up it will be at one of those tough road games. We're going to be tough at home, so I think we'll take PSU there but it will be close.

89Hen
May 15th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Albany whipped Delaware last season and returns 18 starters.
xeyebrowx Not that we didn't lose, but whipped? The Hens did have 1st and 10 on the Albany 25 down 17-10 with a minute to go. And I would point out that 5 other teams beat the Hens last year too. :(

Ronbo
May 15th, 2007, 11:35 AM
My bad, "squeaked by Delaware".;)

ucdtim17
May 15th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Sac State 4-7, 2-6

So the hornets are going 2-1 OOC against Fresno State, New Mexico and UCD? You didn't look at the schedules did you?

Ronbo
May 15th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Opps! Well then, I guess they'll go 1-2 in the OOC. My bad.xlolx By the way this was a thread for everyone to give their predictions not just me to get critisized.

Cleets
May 15th, 2007, 02:26 PM
S. Utah and Ft. Lewis College? Oh yeah forgot about Albany.

Okay,... Ha ha ha (Joke on Cleets)

No,
Seriously who are the Griz playing out of conference..?

-

PantherRob82
May 15th, 2007, 02:28 PM
I would point out that 5 other teams beat the Hens last year too. :(

Point well taken. What's KC doing?

ucdtim17
May 15th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Opps! Well then, I guess they'll go 1-2 in the OOC. My bad.xlolx By the way this was a thread for everyone to give their predictions not just me to get critisized.

no worries - who are they going to beat? us?

Green Cookie Monster
May 15th, 2007, 03:24 PM
no worries - who are they going to beat? us?

Bingo! You win the golden cow turd for your correct guess. It will look good in your trophy case.

VictorG
May 15th, 2007, 03:24 PM
IMO, baring an injury bug, the Griz go 11 - 0 and I'll even predict that the closest game will still be a double digit Griz win. I predicted a 10 - 1 season last year and this will be a much better offensive unit with a very solid defense.

ncbears
May 15th, 2007, 04:04 PM
I don't think UNC will finish in the cellar next season. I think Sac St will. We'll be second to last though.

putter
May 15th, 2007, 05:02 PM
The Griz's wins last year were, mostly, not blowouts and I don't see that happening this year either. We do have an opportunity to run the board again in conference but I don't think it will happen.

As usual, most people on this board are not giving the Big Sky enough credit and just xeyebrowx at the OOC teams. This team should be good if our offense can get on track.

89Hen
May 15th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Point well taken. What's KC doing?
That's a whole other thread.

89Hen
May 15th, 2007, 05:09 PM
As usual, most people on this board are not giving the Big Sky enough credit
That's what going 71-12 since Boise State left will do. xcoolx It's Montana's for the taking.

CopperCat
May 15th, 2007, 05:21 PM
IMO, baring an injury bug, the Griz go 11 - 0 and I'll even predict that the closest game will still be a double digit Griz win. I predicted a 10 - 1 season last year and this will be a much better offensive unit with a very solid defense.

The last time that UM went undefeated was when Joe Glenn was the head coach (over 5 years ago). Those teams had consistency everywhere you looked, unlike the offense that UM has for this year (good RB's but questions at QB and maybe WR?). Saying that they go undefeated in regular season is a bit of a homer IMO.....don't bank on that happening (PSU, MSU, NAU, and maybe another team will have something to say about that). Standby for reg. season prediction.......

Jackluv
May 15th, 2007, 05:25 PM
i think Montana has a great chance this year of going undefeated with them not played a FBS team. Good Luck Griz!

i also understand that NAU doesnt have Murrietta so putting them any higher than 4 is a push but why have EWU so high?? They kinda fell off of the face of the earth last season after losing Meyer and Kimbel and now they lose that big RB they had and their QB was nothing special. any ideas??

CopperCat
May 15th, 2007, 05:31 PM
i think Montana has a great chance this year of going undefeated with them not played a FBS team. Good Luck Griz!

i also understand that NAU doesnt have Murrietta so putting them any higher than 4 is a push but why have EWU so high?? They kinda fell off of the face of the earth last season after losing Meyer and Kimbel and now they lose that big RB they had and their QB was nothing special. any ideas??

Hell, I'll go out on a real limb here and say that UNC does better than EWU. Maybe that isn't much of a limb, but maybe it is. And what about Weber? That's a team nobody is saying much about. Truth be known, I don't really know too much about them (did them hire a new coach, I seem to remember that). Weber could be the dark horse, or they could be a flop. Dark horses make things interesting, so that would be nice to see........I should go andxreadx

Ronbo
May 15th, 2007, 06:53 PM

For the past three years EWU has had recuiting classes that have been the envy of the Conference. Those guys are about to pay off. They also have a very good coach, they'll be back.

I noticed that Weber had a recruiting class of 31 players and thought they just may have lost a ton.

I Bleed Purple
May 15th, 2007, 07:32 PM
If Weber State has a quarterback this year, we'll be playing for the playoffs.

dbackjon
May 15th, 2007, 07:35 PM
If Weber State has a quarterback this year, we'll be playing for the playoffs.

What does Weber have going for it? Serious question.

PSUVikings
May 15th, 2007, 07:43 PM
PSU will lose to the Griz in conference play and an upset by EWU, MSU won't beat us in portland, they haven't done that in years, neither has NAU, so Griz and EWU that's it for BSC play, I also see a close loss to McNeese, but a win at SDSU.

ucdtim17
May 15th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Bingo! You win the golden cow turd for your correct guess. It will look good in your trophy case.

Ah of course, right after Navy beats Notre Dame

Grizalltheway
May 15th, 2007, 08:01 PM
The last time that UM went undefeated was when Joe Glenn was the head coach (over 5 years ago). Those teams had consistency everywhere you looked, unlike the offense that UM has for this year (good RB's but questions at QB and maybe WR?). Saying that they go undefeated in regular season is a bit of a homer IMO.....don't bank on that happening (PSU, MSU, NAU, and maybe another team will have something to say about that). Standby for reg. season prediction.......

If you think we have questions at WR you must be xnutsx
xrulesx Look at the roster.

I Bleed Purple
May 15th, 2007, 08:56 PM
What does Weber have going for it? Serious question.

Fast Defense, Big Sky Running Champ, possession receivers.

No quarterback.

Cleets
May 15th, 2007, 08:59 PM
PSU will lose to the Griz in conference play and an upset by EWU, MSU won't beat us in portland, they haven't done that in years, neither has NAU, so Griz and EWU that's it for BSC play, I also see a close loss to McNeese, but a win at SDSU.

Hey PSUFAN..!

how long before PSU is completely up to speed with the new coach..?

-

MaroonMafia
May 15th, 2007, 09:30 PM
One will never find out until they step out of their comfort zone, playing all the frontier schools twice each year.

Think I might put my money on Ft. Lewis against Carroll.

Carroll tries to, but not many are willing to play them. A few years ago Carroll went to Central Washington when CWU was ranked #1 in DII and beat them. CWU will no longer play Carroll!xlolx

VictorG
May 15th, 2007, 09:33 PM

Well, last year I predicted 10 - 1 and I was called a Homer but I was right. This year I'm prediction 11 - 0 and I'm called a Homer again. I guess I should change my name to righthomer!:)

I'm looking forward to your post. I won't go into detail on why this years Griz team will be better than last but I will point out the schedule. Unless you are thinking the Griz will lose a home game that leaves away games at Sac State, NAU, ISU and the Cat's. The Cat game will be the typical Griz/Cat game but that will be the toughest one. So I guess it boils down to I'm a homer for picking Griz over the Cats!:) :)

Hurry up with your reg season prediction!xthumbsupx

biobengal
May 15th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Those predicting Idaho State in the cellar need to review 2006. Close games throughout.

NAU: Pocatello 27-33, lost on the last play.
UNC: Greeley, 41-13, never in doubt.
PSU: Portland 13-34, JB exposes run D, goes for 180.
MSU: Pocatello, 35-42, fierce comeback falls short.
UM: Missoula, 10-23, close game throughout, 16-10 with 3:11 left
CSUS: Pocatello, 14-22, ISU fails to convert on SAC 28 yd
EWU, Cheney, 6-40, giving up vs. a poor EWU team.
WSU, Pocatello, 27-30, ISU missed the tying FG with :02 Left

In 2007 I expect much better. At least 4-4 wins: UNC, PSU, CSUS, and EWU; losses: UM, MSU, WSU, NAU. UM has been vulnerable in Holt lately and a rivalry with WSU could go either way.

TulsaBobcat
May 15th, 2007, 10:05 PM

MSU hasn't won in Portland for years? If you look they beat PSU in Portland in 2003 and lost in 2005. The Cats are 1-1 the last two games in Portland.

Sorry for the interruption, you may now resume your regularly scheduled Grizzly worship. xwhistlex

Grizo406
May 15th, 2007, 10:06 PM

The Griz never went undefeated while Joe Glenn was the coach.

UM lost to Hofstra in 2000, (Glenn's first game as Griz head coach). We did pretty good after that, but ended up loosing the National Championship game to Georgia Southern. Record: 13-2.

In 2001, we lost to Hawaii in the second game of the season, but went on to win the National Championship against Furman. Record: 15-1.

In 2002, Glenn's last year at UM, we won our first ten games, but got beat by EWU, MSU, (the Bobcats would not let 17 in a row happen), and we ended up loosing a playoff game to McNeese State. Record: 11-3.

Jackluv
May 15th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Those predicting Idaho State in the cellar need to review 2006. Close games throughout.

NAU: Pocatello 27-33, lost on the last play.
UNC: Greeley, 41-13, never in doubt.
PSU: Portland 13-34, JB exposes run D, goes for 180.
MSU: Pocatello, 35-42, fierce comeback falls short.
UM: Missoula, 10-23, close game throughout, 16-10 with 3:11 left
CSUS: Pocatello, 14-22, ISU fails to convert on SAC 28 yd
EWU, Cheney, 6-40, giving up vs. a poor EWU team.
WSU, Pocatello, 27-30, ISU missed the tying FG with :02 Left

In 2007 I expect much better. At least 4-4 wins: UNC, PSU, CSUS, and EWU; losses: UM, MSU, WSU, NAU. UM has been vulnerable in Holt lately and a rivalry with WSU could go either way.

i do agree with ISU not being at the bottom of the bunch but ISU also didnt lose to NAU on the last play. I admit that ISU made one hell of a push at the end but they didnt lose the game in the final play.

but back to the point. ISU is no joke. the way i woud rank them is:

Montana: could go 11-0 this year. bring back alot of studs
MSU: experience and great players return
PSU/NAU: two potentially high powered offense. who knows.
ISU: will rebound off of a bad year
Sac St: new coach will hope to come in witha bang
Weber St/EWU: another tough one to call
UNC: might take a couple years for the bears to get with the BSC

good luck to all

biobengal
May 15th, 2007, 10:31 PM
i do agree with ISU not being at the bottom of the bunch but ISU also didnt lose to NAU on the last play. I admit that ISU made one hell of a push at the end but they didnt lose the game in the final play.

You're right, of course; however, you should cut me some slack: ISU wasn't able to get a first down while in NAU territory with 16 ticks left.

CopperCat
May 15th, 2007, 11:19 PM

UM lost to Hofstra in 2000, (Glenn's first game as Griz head coach). We did pretty good after that, but ended up loosing the National Championship game to Georgia Southern. Record: 13-2.

In 2001, we lost to Hawaii in the second game of the season, but went on to win the National Championship against Furman. Record: 15-1.

In 2002, Glenn's last year at UM, we won our first ten games, but got beat by EWU, MSU, (the Bobcats would not let 17 in a row happen), and we ended up loosing a playoff game to McNeese State. Record: 11-3.

I stand corrected.

But 15-1 with a loss to I-A is close enough to being undefeated.xbowx

CopperCat
May 15th, 2007, 11:19 PM
If you think we have questions at WR you must be xnutsx
xrulesx Look at the roster.

That is why I said MAYBE.....that implies I don't know everything.

Bobcat in NC
May 16th, 2007, 07:14 AM
All in all, Ronbo's predictions look pretty solid. My only differences from his would be: Flipping MSU and PSU (with MSU going 9-2, 6-1) and flipping EWU and Weber.

BisBison
May 16th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Don't follow the Sky much, but I predict UNC in 9th with only 3 felony convictions on the season.

89Hen
May 16th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Those predicting Idaho State in the cellar need to review 2006.
Sorry Bio, you guys screwed me last year. I had you in my pre-season Top 25, fool me once shame on you. :p ;) Best of luck this year! xthumbsupx

Ronbo
May 16th, 2007, 08:59 AM

We didn't offcially go undefeated but from the 2nd game in 2001 through the 9th game of 2002 we ran off 23 straight wins.

ncbears
May 16th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Don't follow the Sky much, but I predict UNC in 9th with only 3 felony convictions on the season.

xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

All the bad apples have fallen from the tree. Those guys are no longer on the team thank you very much. We won't finish last this season.

NoCoDanny
May 16th, 2007, 10:00 AM
xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

All the bad apples have fallen from the tree. Those guys are no longer on the team thank you very much. We won't finish last this season.

There have been ZERO felony convictions from last year's team so let's keep the record straight. xnonox

putter
May 16th, 2007, 10:14 AM
That's what going 71-12 since Boise State left will do. xcoolx It's Montana's for the taking.

I agree with that Hen but it seems like a different team steps up every year. EWU upsetting Southern Illinois, NAU upsetting McNeese, MSU beating Furman. While the overall consistency may not be there the Big Sky produces quality teams every year, despite the overall record by the Griz.

ncbears
May 16th, 2007, 11:18 AM
There have been ZERO felony convictions from last year's team so let's keep the record straight. xnonox

Cozad hasn't been sentenced??

89Hen
May 16th, 2007, 11:19 AM
I agree with that Hen but it seems like a different team steps up every year. EWU upsetting Southern Illinois, NAU upsetting McNeese, MSU beating Furman. While the overall consistency may not be there the Big Sky produces quality teams every year, despite the overall record by the Griz.
Snapshot. Prior to those three you have to go quite a few years back to find another.

Edit... but it is a great start and something to continue building on! xthumbsupx

Ronbo
May 16th, 2007, 11:50 AM
I have been a big critic of how the other Big Sky teams would perform in the playoffs in the past. They would always play the Griz super tough during league play, you know get sky high for us and bring their best. Then they would go to the playoffs and come out flat and get throttled. But NAU, MSU, and EWU have put in some great playoff performances the last few years. Hopefully they are finally learning the season does not revolve around the Griz game. Everyones main goal should be making the playoffs and winning there, not beating the Griz. That should be a goal but not the main goal.

89Hen
May 16th, 2007, 02:16 PM
But NAU, MSU, and EWU have put in some great playoff performances the last few years.
Combined 3-5 in the time frame we're talking about. xeyebrowx

Jackluv
May 16th, 2007, 05:01 PM

i really dont like the arguement of BSC teams and their demise in the playoffs xsmhx . it seems the past couple years, some conference or team pushes for more and more respect in FCS. once upon atime it was Montana,A10, GSouthern and Youngstown but lately other conferences have been doing amazing things and making noise. The Great West this past year was REAL! (i duno anymore with the loss of NDSU and SDSU). I still think the Gateway is the top conference in FCS. Too many good teams every year that kill eachother before they get to the playoffs

X-Factor
May 16th, 2007, 05:24 PM

-

@Western Illinois
@Minnesota
@Central Michigan
@Mississippi Valley St.
Sam Houston St.
SFA
Illinois St.

putter
May 16th, 2007, 05:25 PM

Yes but that only lends more credence to the consistency argument rather than the quality.

Grizo406
May 16th, 2007, 09:24 PM
But 15-1 with a loss to I-A is close enough to being undefeated.xbowx

That it is, FTG!xthumbsupx

GOKATS
May 16th, 2007, 10:30 PM
@Western Illinois
@Minnesota
@Central Michigan
@Mississippi Valley St.
Sam Houston St.
SFA
Illinois St.

Doesn't have anything to do with the Big Sky (this thread)- but that's a tough schedule. Good luck!xthumbsupx

Ronbo
May 16th, 2007, 11:02 PM

Two of those 5 losses were a very close hard fought game by MSU down in Lake Charles and a last second loss by EWU to a highly ranked Sam Houston State in a classic game in 2004.

The old Big Sky 2nd seeds used to get beat by 30 points in the past.

CopperCat
May 17th, 2007, 01:34 AM
My prediction for the season (no records, just placements for now)

1. UM
2. MSU
3. PSU
4. NAU
4. ISU
6. WSU
7. EWU
8. UNC
9. SAC (sorry guys:( )

Fresno St. Alum
May 17th, 2007, 02:29 AM
1. Montana
2. Portland St.
3. Montana St.
4. N.Arizona
5. Idaho St.
6. Weber St.
7. E.Washington
8. Sacramento St.
9. N.Colorado

Mich Griz
May 17th, 2007, 06:06 AM
Fast Defense, Big Sky Running Champ, possession receivers.

No quarterback.

Their cheerleaders are Hot or as they say at App St HOT! HOT! HOT!

Bison77
May 17th, 2007, 07:43 AM
The BSC has turned into a one team conference. Montana has a sweet deal in that setup. Everyone else plays for 2nd place and a good enough season reason so they'll get picked for the playoffs. The only excitement is for 2nd and 3rd place. xsmhx

dbackjon
May 17th, 2007, 08:11 AM
The BSC has turned into a one team conference. Montana has a sweet deal in that setup. Everyone else plays for 2nd place and a good enough season reason so they'll get picked for the playoffs. The only excitement is for 2nd and 3rd place. xsmhx

xrolleyesx

laxVik
May 17th, 2007, 10:36 AM
The BSC has turned into a one team conference. Montana has a sweet deal in that setup. Everyone else plays for 2nd place and a good enough season reason so they'll get picked for the playoffs. The only excitement is for 2nd and 3rd place. xsmhxMontana should be BCS level. How the state of Montana has zero BCS teams is puzzling. I mean Idaho has two for pete's sake (well one really). Montana's afraid of losing at the next level. Stay in the comfort zone. xlolx

CrazyCat
May 17th, 2007, 10:38 AM

This is what the Big Sky has turned into.

ISU 5-2
UM 5-2
MSU 5-2

UM 5-2
MSU 5-2
NAU 5-2

EWU 6-1
UM 6-1

EWU 5-2
MSU 5-2
UM 5-2

UM 8-0

ncbears
May 17th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Montana should be BCS level. How the state of Montana has zero BCS teams is puzzling. I mean Idaho has two for pete's sake (well one really). Montana's afraid of losing at the next level. Stay in the comfort zone. xlolx

Ummm...Idaho doesn't have any BCS teams. The WAC is not a BCS conference.

89Hen
May 17th, 2007, 10:58 AM
The old Big Sky 2nd seeds used to get beat by 30 points in the past.
True.

89Hen
May 17th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Yes but that only lends more credence to the consistency argument rather than the quality.
We were talking about quality playoff performances. The single wins mentioned were quality, but in the same year of those three good wins, two of the three BSC teams got beat at home the next week. Those weren't quality playoff perfomances in my book. If you want real 'quality', you'd have to have something like JMU going on the road and winning three in a row before beating Montana in the CG. UMass travelling to Montana for the semis and winning. UNI having to go on the road twice to make it to the finals. WKU winning two road games on the way to the NC... Other conferences have had multiple teams win multiple games in single seasons. The fact remains that no BSC team other than Montana has made it to even the semis since 1997. You're certainly making progress, but it's still Montana and the rest until you do.

The BSC is usually mentioned as one of the best conferences, but it's kind of glaring to me...

Semifinalists since 1997:

A10 - Delaware*, UMass*, JMU*, W&M, Villanova
Southern - GSU**, ASU**, FU, Wofford
Gateway - WIU, YSU, IllSt, WKU*, UNI
Southland - Northwestern State, McNeese, Texas State, Sam Houston
Big Sky - Montana*

Florida A&M, Colgate and FAU

Maybe it's me.

laxVik
May 17th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Ummm...Idaho doesn't have any BCS teams. The WAC is not a BCS conference.Ah, I think you got the point. xsmiley_wix

Ronbo
May 17th, 2007, 11:42 AM
This is what the Big Sky has turned into.

ISU 5-2
UM 5-2
MSU 5-2

UM 5-2
MSU 5-2
NAU 5-2

EWU 5-2
UM 5-2

EWU 5-2
MSU 5-2
UM 5-2

UM 8-0

Uh, 2004 we were 6-1 in Conference play and 12-3 overall with losses to JMU, PSU, and SHSU.

GtFllsGriz
May 17th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Montana should be BCS level. How the state of Montana has zero BCS teams is puzzling. I mean Idaho has two for pete's sake (well one really). Montana's afraid of losing at the next level. Stay in the comfort zone. xlolx

I don't think that is really true. There is much more to it than just moving up. I am certainly not the expert on the situation but money plays a big part in it.

A recent poll on egriz revealed that it is about 50/50 of the fans wanting to move up. Many like the playoff system as opposed to playing in bowl games. Many would rather play the tougher competition. Not necessarily because they expect to win but because the BCS is not necessarily what it used to be either. A lot of good teams have moved on to include Boise and Marshall. I am in the middle on the issue. It can be debated forever and you will not get a concensus on the issue.

But afraid to play tougher competition, I don't think that is the issue.

Ronbo
May 17th, 2007, 11:48 AM
We were talking about quality playoff performances. The single wins mentioned were quality, but in the same year of those three good wins, two of the three BSC teams got beat at home the next week. Those weren't quality playoff perfomances in my book. If you want real 'quality', you'd have to have something like JMU going on the road and winning three in a row before beating Montana in the CG. UMass travelling to Montana for the semis and winning. UNI having to go on the road twice to make it to the finals. WKU winning two road games on the way to the NC... Other conferences have had multiple teams win multiple games in single seasons. The fact remains that no BSC team other than Montana has made it to even the semis since 1997. You're certainly making progress, but it's still Montana and the rest until you do.

The BSC is usually mentioned as one of the best conferences, but it's kind of glaring to me...

Big Sky - Montana*

Maybe it's me.

Hmmm... Do the stars mean the number of times a team made the semi's since 1997?

Then Montana should look like this. Montana****

2000, 2001, 2004, 2006

laxVik
May 17th, 2007, 11:50 AM
I don't think that is really true. There is much more to it than just moving up. I am certainly not the expert on the situation but money plays a big part in it.

A recent poll on egriz revealed that it is about 50/50 of the fans wanting to move up. Many like the playoff system as opposed to playing in bowl games. Many would rather play the tougher competition. Not necessarily because they expect to win but because the BCS is not necessarily what it used to be either. A lot of good teams have moved on to include Boise and Marshall. I am in the middle on the issue. It can be debated forever and you will not get a concensus on the issue.

But afraid to play tougher competition, I don't think that is the issue.No, I agree. "Afraid" was a poke. Still though winning can make you comfortable.

CrazyCat
May 17th, 2007, 11:50 AM
You are correct. Sorry.

89Hen
May 17th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Hmmm... Do the stars mean the number of times a team made the semi's since 1997?
Those would be National Championships

CrazyCat
May 17th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Uh, 2004 we were 6-1 in Conference play and 12-3 overall with losses to JMU, PSU, and SHSU..

You are correct. Sorry

Ronbo
May 17th, 2007, 11:52 AM

The current poll on eGriz has 52% for moving up and 47% for staying put. If you went back just 5 years it would have been 20% for moving up and 80% for staying put.

CopperCat
May 17th, 2007, 12:50 PM
The current poll on eGriz has 52% for moving up and 47% for staying put. If you went back just 5 years it would have been 20% for moving up and 80% for staying put.

How is this relevant to predicting the 2007 season?xeyebrowx

People always give UM the gentlmen's bid into the playoffs no matter what. I can respect that becuase 14 in a row is not something you get by squeaking by in conf play. But what people DON'T talk about much is the resurgence of teams like PSU, MSU, and even NAU. The only way they get much face time is if they BEAT the griz or if they come close to beating them. In trying to deduce what will happen this year, I started to see other possibilities that nobody has talked about. Maybe a team like an NAU or PSU will slay the dragon, and roll on through conference play. Hence, I won't post predicted w/L. This may be the season that the conference has been waiting for. I'm hoping the fish bowl gets stirred up a bit........xthumbsupx

ncbears
May 17th, 2007, 01:12 PM
How is this relevant to predicting the 2007 season?xeyebrowx

People always give UM the gentlmen's bid into the playoffs no matter what. I can respect that becuase 14 in a row is not something you get by squeaking by in conf play. But what people DON'T talk about much is the resurgence of teams like PSU, MSU, and even NAU. The only way they get much face time is if they BEAT the griz or if they come close to beating them. In trying to deduce what will happen this year, I started to see other possibilities that nobody has talked about. Maybe a team like an NAU or PSU will slay the dragon, and roll on through conference play. Hence, I won't post predicted w/L. This may be the season that the conference has been waiting for. I'm hoping the fish bowl gets stirred up a bit........xthumbsupx

I know what you're getting at and I agree. I admire the griz players and everything but I'm hoping someone else wins the conference for a change. I think the team atleast in the preseason to do this is probably PSU.

Ronbo
May 17th, 2007, 01:19 PM
I wouldn't place any money on it happening this year. It could happen but we are the clear favorites, I would be looking at next season. We lose 26 seniors after this season and our consecutive streak for winning the Big Sky which dates back to 1998 will be in great jepordy in 2008. We might not even make the playoffs in 2008.

BisonBacker
May 17th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Doesn't have anything to do with the Big Sky (this thread)- but that's a tough schedule. Good luck!xthumbsupx

Actually it does. The question was posed who does NDSU play out of conference this season.xnonox

Tailbone
May 17th, 2007, 02:10 PM
We were talking about quality playoff performances. ..... If you want real 'quality', you'd have to have something like JMU going on the road and winning three in a row before beating Montana in the CG. UMass travelling to Montana for the semis and winning. UNI having to go on the road twice to make it to the finals. WKU winning two road games on the way to the NC... ...

What's a quality playoff performance? With the few exceptions you noted, most home teams win until bounced in (usually) their 1st road game.
The perception that the BSC is Montana & a bunch of other guys usually leads to the BSC runner up playing their first game on the road, and in recent years, at the home of the number 1 seed.....where the BSC runner up won. Is that a good performance by the road team...or a poor performance by the top seed?

The fact remains that no BSC team other than Montana has made it to even the semis since 1997. You're certainly making progress, but it's still Montana and the rest until you do.

This perception contributes to the phenomenon. Also, regarding W&M & Villanova, they made it to the semis as a home team throughout. Likewise, Delaware. It seems that, with the exception of teams noted, only home teams have quality playoff performances.

Big Sky - Montana*

Maybe it's me.

I'm officially extending an invitation to the BSC......where you can also be "one of the other guys". xrolleyesx

Here's the data:
http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=75056

Draw your own conclusions.

GtFllsGriz
May 17th, 2007, 02:30 PM
I wouldn't place any money on it happening this year. It could happen but we are the clear favorites, I would be looking at next season. We lose 26 seniors after this season and our consecutive streak for winning the Big Sky which dates back to 1998 will be in great jepordy in 2008. We might not even make the playoffs in 2008.

Again I agree with Rombo. I think 2008 will be the year that the Griz face the biggest hurdles. This year we are loaded, plain and simple. I know that success breeds contempt and the Griz have certainly had their share of success. It is human nature and Griz fans do the same thing when someone else has a great deal of success.

I also believe that the BSC is getting much tougher. There were those years right after Boise and Idaho left where the conference really fell off in strength. The Griz pretty much carried the load but I think the rest of the conference is catching up. Very few of the games should be taken for granted. Count on getting everybody's "A" game.

But a simple truth is; when you have the studs you can expect to be successfull. This year the Griz are loaded with studs. They should be successfull but I don't think anybody is going to hand them the conference trophy so even the studs better show up to play, and, stay healthy.

DJViking
May 17th, 2007, 02:35 PM
I think that PSU will be 2nd or 3rd in conference this year. We've got a first year head coach, and entirely new systems on offense and defense. We've got a bunch of talent, but it will take a little while to get into the system.

Look out in 2008. With the Griz slipping down a notch in talent, PSU should take the top spot in the Big Sky.

Go Viks!!

laxVik
May 17th, 2007, 02:37 PM
One thing new in 07 -- PSU is getting new unis. I'm scared -- Nike's involved. The players seem excited at the new design though.

At least I'm happy the motorcycle helmet/viking horn logo will be put to the pasture.

89Hen
May 17th, 2007, 03:02 PM
What's a quality playoff performance? With the few exceptions you noted, most home teams win until bounced in (usually) their 1st road game.... Also, regarding W&M & Villanova, they made it to the semis as a home team throughout. Likewise, Delaware. It seems that, with the exception of teams noted, only home teams have quality playoff performances.

Here's the data
xconfusedx Are you trying to imply the A10 just had more home games?

HERE'S the data...

A10 road wins in the playoffs in the time frame we're talking about...
Massachusetts 19, Montana 17 (Missoula, Mt)
Richmond 38, Hampton 10 (Hampton, VA)
James Madison 14, Lehigh 13 (Bethlehem, PA)
James Madison 14, Furman 13 (Greenville, SC)
New Hampshire 27, Ga. Southern 23 (Statesboro, GA)
Maine 14, Appalachian St. 13 (Boone, NC)
Maine 14, McNeese St. 10 (Lake Charles, LA)
Hofstra 31, Furman 24 (Greenville, SC)
Massachusetts 21, McNeese St. 19 (Lake Charles, LA)
Massachusetts 41, Northwestern St. 31 (Natchitoches, LA)
* JMU also won at W&M, but tought to count A10 vs A10

BSC road wins in the playoffs...
Eastern Wash. 35, Southern Ill. 31 (Carbondale, IL)
Northern Ariz. 35, McNeese St. 3 (Lake Charles, LA)

BTW, you can't mention Delaware not having to go on the road... when was the last time Montana won on the road in the playoffs?

PhantomCAT
May 17th, 2007, 03:05 PM
I have been a big critic of how the other Big Sky teams would perform in the playoffs in the past. They would always play the Griz super tough during league play, you know get sky high for us and bring their best. Then they would go to the playoffs and come out flat and get throttled. But NAU, MSU, and EWU have put in some great playoff performances the last few years. Hopefully they are finally learning the season does not revolve around the Griz game. Everyones main goal should be making the playoffs and winning there, not beating the Griz. That should be a goal but not the main goal.

Ronbo, you are so full of yourself!! The CATS love to beat the griz, but it is not the main goal. Last year we barely lost to you (in stinkytown no less) and made a decent push into the playoffs, showing well both games.

Proud Griz Man
May 17th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Snapshot. Prior to those three you have to go quite a few years back to find another.

Edit... but it is a great start and something to continue building on! xthumbsupx

Extremely Dubious poll results with some people establishing multiple screen names.xnonox

PhantomCAT
May 17th, 2007, 03:14 PM

I think the griz are afraid of some teams. Didn't they payoff Cal Poly and NDSU both in recent years so as to not travel to those schools. They had contracts to honor and I know that people will say that better money was offered to play FBS teams. I think that the griz knew that they would be hard pressed to beat either of these schools on the road. It is acceptable to go into the playoffs with an FBS loss, but not a FCS loss. Some would say chicken, I would say pu$$ies.

CopperCat
May 17th, 2007, 03:16 PM

Yeah friggin' right. The committee would probably just give you guys a bid anyway even if you were 7-4. UM is the Duke of the FCS (just look at what happened with Duke this year: they suck, and they STILL get a decent seed in the NCAA tourney).

UM has been the clear favorite for too long, and I think other teams are beginning to tire of that. You may be good, but when every single team in the BSC is gunning for you, the outcome isn't always in the big dawg's favor. The more I think about it, the more I am conviced that the field will be evening out this year. Not entirely, but it will be moreso than in the past. The level of talent that UM has is very high, but talent is not specific to just your school. I have to be conservative so as to create homerism, so I won't predict too much beyond this. It could go either way with UM being the juggernaut again, or the top of the BSC could be muddled. Who knows.xcoolx

AZGrizFan
May 17th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Beat me to it Rob. xlolx

I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that Deleware DOESN'T. :D

89Hen
May 17th, 2007, 03:47 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that Deleware DOESN'T. :D
Not a very shaky limb for a 5-6 team from last year. ;) Glad to see you back BTW. xthumbsupx

Tailbone
May 17th, 2007, 05:33 PM
xconfusedx Are you trying to imply the A10 just had more home games?

HERE'S the data...

A10 road wins in the playoffs in the time frame we're talking about...

Massachusetts 19, Montana 17 (Missoula, Mt)Semifinal (previous games at home)

Richmond 38, Hampton 10 (Hampton, VA)
By your definition, not a quality performance - 1st round (2nd round loss)

James Madison 14, Lehigh 13 (Bethlehem, PA)
James Madison 14, Furman 13 (Greenville, SC)both, noted exceptions

New Hampshire 27, Ga. Southern 23 (Statesboro, GA)By your definition, not a quality performance - 1st round (2nd round loss)

Maine 14, Appalachian St. 13 (Boone, NC)By your definition, not a quality performance - 1st round (2nd round loss)

Maine 14, McNeese St. 10 (Lake Charles, LA)By your definition, not a quality performance - 1st round (2nd round loss)

Hofstra 31, Furman 24 (Greenville, SC)
By your definition, not a quality performance - 1st round (2nd round loss)

Massachusetts 21, McNeese St. 19 (Lake Charles, LA)
Massachusetts 41, Northwestern St. 31 (Natchitoches, LA)
both, noted exceptions

BSC road wins in the playoffs...
Eastern Wash. 35, Southern Ill. 31 (Carbondale, IL)against the top seed
Northern Ariz. 35, McNeese St. 3 (Lake Charles, LA)against the top seed

BTW, you can't mention Delaware not having to go on the road... when was the last time Montana won on the road in the playoffs? The answer to that only proves my point

Additionally the A-10 is a 12 team conference. I would expect more playoff participants and a corresponding increase in home games (and success) than an 8 team conference.

The vast majority of the road games you listed (sans noted exceptions) ended in the second round, which by your definition is a poor playoff performance. I won't argue that a first or second round loss isn't a satisfactory performance (especially for the losing teams) but I hardly think it measures the quality of the teams involved, the quality of the competition they play, or the conference in which they play.

BTW: I strongly feel that Portland State might have been a top 10 team last year, but 2 BSC and 2 FBS losses prevented the opportunity to prove it. This also abets the perception that the BSC isn't on a par with the other top-tier conferences, but I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that they could have played with any of the top 10.

89Hen
May 18th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Nice try tail, but the reason I listed all of them was to be fair to YOU, not me. If we just eliminate all the road wins that were followed by losses, the Big Sky has NONE. We don't need to go much further than that.

Montana is the ONLY Big Sky team to make the semis since 1997... the A10 has had five teams do it. Because of more teams?... 1/8 = 12.5%, 5/12 = 41.7% (and it's only been 12 for three seasons)... would you like to try to argue it a different way? xeyebrowx

BTW, what was PSU ranked when they lost to UD 49-14 in the first round in 2000? xeyebrowx

Ronbo
May 18th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Hey for years there were no playoff wins for the other Big Sky teams. Since 2003 there has been three and all impressive wins. You have to admit the Conference is getting better in the playoffs than it used to be.

You have to remember that the 2nd seed in the Big Sky usually goes on the road to a top 4 seeded school. That's a tough game for anyone.

89Hen
May 18th, 2007, 09:55 AM
You have to admit the Conference is getting better in the playoffs than it used to be.

You have to remember that the 2nd seed in the Big Sky usually goes on the road to a top 4 seeded school. That's a tough game for anyone.
Absolutely agreed on the first, but the second could be said for most. The A10 teams other than UD have been sent on the road just as much as the BSC teams other than Montana. The Hens and Griz do benefit from large attendance and I think that's OK (of course if I weren't a Hen or Griz fan I probably wouldn't say that ;) ).

Didn't MSU get a home game last year?

Bobcat in NC
May 18th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Absolutely agreed on the first, but the second could be said for most. The A10 teams other than UD have been sent on the road just as much as the BSC teams other than Montana. The Hens and Griz do benefit from large attendance and I think that's OK (of course if I weren't a Hen or Griz fan I probably wouldn't say that ;) ).

Didn't MSU get a home game last year?

Yes. Beat Furman at home and lost to App on the road.

laxVik
May 18th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Boy you Bobcat and Griz fans sure like to listen to yourself talking. 11+ pages of nada. :)

AZGrizFan
May 18th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Boy you Bobcat and Griz fans sure like to listen to yourself talking. 11+ pages of nada. :)

But it's like crack cocaine to you Vikqueen fans, ain't it? xnodx xnodx ;)

AZGrizFan
May 18th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Nice try tail, but the reason I listed all of them was to be fair to YOU, not me. If we just eliminate all the road wins that were followed by losses, the Big Sky has NONE. We don't need to go much further than that.

Montana is the ONLY Big Sky team to make the semis since 1997... the A10 has had five teams do it. Because of more teams?... 1/8 = 12.5%, 5/12 = 41.7% (and it's only been 12 for three seasons)... would you like to try to argue it a different way? xeyebrowx

BTW, what was PSU ranked when they lost to UD 49-14 in the first round in 2000? xeyebrowx

Good lord, are we STILL having this argument? xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

dbackjon
May 18th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Good lord, are we STILL having this argument? xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

Some things never change...89Hen will always xdeadhorsex about how the BSC is Montana and no one else...

laxVik
May 18th, 2007, 12:34 PM
But it's like crack cocaine to you Vikqueen fans, ain't it? xnodx xnodx ;)No, more like curiosity. Like driving past roadkill and trying to make out the type of animal.

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 18th, 2007, 12:36 PM
I've seen the SoCon and Southland discussing their predictions and I've been waiting for someone to get a Big Sky thread started. Here goes. It's real tough to pick the Sky as there is always a surprise team and always games that are lost that shouldn't have been.

Montana 10-1, 7-1

Portland State 8-3, 6-2

Montana State 8-3, 6-2

Northern Arizona 6-5, 5-3

Eastern Washington 6-5, 4-4

Weber State 5-6, 3-5

Sac State 4-7, 2-6

Idaho State 4-7, 2-6

N. Colorado 2-9, 1-7

Any Weber or Idaho State guys out there????

Montana will win it...I think either the cats (they have to play at Bozemen this year) or Portland State will beat the griz but I don't think there is any other team capable of making it with only one loss.

Should still be an interesting race...BSC could very well get three into the playoffs this year.

AZGrizFan
May 18th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Montana will win it...I think either the cats (they have to play at Bozemen this year) or Portland State will beat the griz but I don't think there is any other team capable of making it with only one loss.

Should still be an interesting race...BSC could very well get three into the playoffs this year.

???

Are you saying you don't think there's any other BSC team capable of finishing the season with only one loss, or that you don't think there's any other team capable of making the playoffs with only one loss?

Ronbo
May 18th, 2007, 06:43 PM
He's saying that he doesn't think any other team will have 1 Conference loss except Montana. MSU and PSU will have 2 losses he thinks. But he thinks the Cats will beat us. That changes big time now that they lost their coach.

Peems
May 18th, 2007, 07:51 PM
1. Griz
2. Vikes
3. Cats(unsure now though)
4. Weber
5. NAU
6. EWU
7. UNC
8. Sac

CopperCat
May 18th, 2007, 07:52 PM
1. Griz
2. Vikes
3. Cats(unsure now though)
4. Weber
5. NAU
6. EWU
7. UNC
8. Sac

#6 is more like it. Where is ISU?

Tailbone
May 18th, 2007, 08:05 PM

Nice try yourself Hen, with the exception of 2006 (MSU home win against Furman) no other BSC team has gotten to play at home......that's the point. Had UNI played EWU in Washington, the Eagles rather than the Panthers may have played for the NC in 2005.

As for the percentages, it's not a linear relationship.....if 3 A10 tems get a bid vs 2 from the BSC, and 2 of the 3 A10 tems get home games vs 1 for the BSC, odds are that A10 will have twice as many wins as the BSC (with only 50% more entrants).

GOKATS
May 18th, 2007, 08:14 PM
He's saying that he doesn't think any other team will have 1 Conference loss except Montana. MSU and PSU will have 2 losses he thinks. But he thinks the Cats will beat us. That changes big time now that they lost their coach.

Not a good situation after today, but we'll see.xsmiley_wix

WyomingGrizFan
May 19th, 2007, 03:23 AM
At present, the way it appears to shake out, the top three BSC teams are:

1.) U of M Griz
2.) NAU
3.) Portland State

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 19th, 2007, 02:47 PM

Yes...and you are right, the cats are a question mark now. I still think they will put up a fight for UM. GSU had a horribly unorganized team last year and still gave ASU their roughest FCS game of the year.

Peems
May 19th, 2007, 03:17 PM
I said in an earlier thread that i think PSU could beat the Griz, but it all depends how they look before they come play us. The year EWU killed us at home, they were clearly the superior team and had their way with us, if PSU looks lights out before our game this year, i'm putting money on them to win.

laxVik
May 19th, 2007, 03:51 PM
My concern is depth and the first year in new offense and defense. The O looked far ahead of the D in the Spring game due to the run-n-shoot and lack of depth at corner. IF the D can step up and players adjust well to the new O I think we should go from anywhere to 7-4 to 9-2. Should be a good year in the BSC with NAU as well returning some quality players, including the QB from Fresno.

Peems
May 19th, 2007, 03:57 PM
My concern is depth and the first year in new offense and defense. The O looked far ahead of the D in the Spring game due to the run-n-shoot and lack of depth at corner. IF the D can step up and players adjust well to the new O I think we should go from anywhere to 7-4 to 9-2. Should be a good year in the BSC with NAU as well returning some quality players, including the QB from Fresno.

you do bring up good points. Kimble and Meyer had been around for awhile and it was their last year, when they beat the griz in Wa-Griz. But from watching the last few years, there is one thing the griz can't win, and that is a shootout. Back in the day sure, but now i fear when we have to score a lot, maybe that will change this year.

JALMOND
May 19th, 2007, 04:18 PM
I had to jump in with this. I've been doing a lot of flip-flop and I won't make any comments until August, but right now, complete with what happened in Bozeman Friday, my list is...

1. Montana
2. Portland State
3. Montana State
4. N Arizona
5. Weber State
6. E Washington
7. Idaho State
8. Sacramento State
9. N Colorado

I'd say at the end of last season, both the Cats and Vikings could probably have been right on the Griz' heels. Yet, coaching changes at both places as well as Flexy Lexy Hilliard coming back for the Griz this year, has moved the Griz head and shoulders above the pack. All indications are that the Vikings are making great strides in learning the run and shoot, yet playing the Griz in Missoula will prove very tough. The Cats will have a new coach this late in the game, right after spring ball, and that is always tough. This is where I'm at right at the moment, and based on what has happened so far, it could (and probably will) change come August.

dbackjon
May 19th, 2007, 04:24 PM
My standings, as of now

1. Montana 9-2 6-2
2. Portland State 9-2 6-2
3. Northern Arizona 7-4 6-2
4. Eastern Washington 8-3 6-2
5. Montana State 7-4 5-3
6. Weber State 5-6 4-4
7. Idaho State 4-7 2-6
8. Northern Colorado 3-8 1-7
9. Sacramento State 1-10 0-8

1-4 are actually co-champions :D

Ronbo
May 19th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Mathematically impossible jon. There are 36 Big Sky games. You have the teams winning 38 and losing 34. Two games need to be changed, start with the Griz and make them 7-1.xsmiley_wix

dbackjon
May 19th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Mathematically impossible jon. There are 36 Big Sky games. You have the teams winning 38 and losing 34. Two games need to be changed, start with the Griz and make them 7-1.xsmiley_wix

Nope - it is 36-36. I did have UNC losing 10 conference games :D. But it works out to 36-36 overall.

VictorG
May 19th, 2007, 06:06 PM

Ronbo,

Maybe I missed it and I'm to lazy to read back, but I see the Griz running the conference table again this year. Who do you see them losing to?

Just Curious...

dbackjon
May 19th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Ronbo,

Maybe I missed it and I'm to lazy to read back, but I see the Griz running the conference table again this year. Who do you see them losing to?

Just Curious...

Griz have three games that should cause concern for the Griz faithful:

@ Montana State - even with Kramer's departure, never an easy win
Portland State - PSU is going to be VERY good this year
@NAU - NAU returns 18 starters from the team that lost by 3 in Missoula last year.

89Hen
May 19th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Some things never change...89Hen will always xdeadhorsex about how the BSC is Montana and no one else...
Yup, I just can't help but tell the truth. xnodx

89Hen
May 19th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Nice try yourself Hen, with the exception of 2006 (MSU home win against Furman) no other BSC team has gotten to play at home......that's the point. Had UNI played EWU in Washington, the Eagles rather than the Panthers may have played for the NC in 2005.

As for the percentages, it's not a linear relationship.....if 3 A10 tems get a bid vs 2 from the BSC, and 2 of the 3 A10 tems get home games vs 1 for the BSC, odds are that A10 will have twice as many wins as the BSC (with only 50% more entrants).
Tail, do you actually LOOK at any of the facts... I guess not, because they ALL point the other way. The A10 has more wins, a higher percentage of wins, more road wins, a higher percentage of road wins, more teams to make the semis, a higher percentage of teams to make the semis, more teams to win the NC, a higher percentage of teams to win the NC... you've got NO dog in this fight.

eagle1
May 20th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Pre-season
1. Montana
2. Montana State
3. Portland State
4. Northern Arizona
5. Eastern Washington
6. Weber State
7. Idaho State
8. Sacramento State
9. Northern Colorado

End of Season
1. Montana
2. Eastern Washington
3. Portland State
4. Northern Arizona
5. Montana State
6. Weber State
7. Idaho State
8. Sacramento State
9. Northern Colorado

I totally understand why people are picking and will pick EWU in the bottom three based on last year but we will be much improved with the maturity of a young team. I look at Montana State struggling with the coaching change but would have put them in second with Kramer. Should be an interesting season and I am sure it will be full of surprises.xthumbsupx

AZGrizFan
May 20th, 2007, 12:38 PM

@NAU - NAU returns 18 starters from the team that lost by 3 in Missoula last year.

Oh, GOD. In your wet dreams. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx ;)

smallcollegefbfan
May 20th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Here is my order of finish:

1. Montana
2. Portland State
3. Northern Arizona
4. Montana State
5. Eastern Washington
6. Weber State
7. Idaho State
8. Sacramento State
9. Northern Colorado

I have the top 5 teams as top 35 in the FCS.

Obzerver
May 20th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Please, do not pay attention to that team behind the curtain...there are so many proven/seasoned QB's in the BSC this season(yeah right!)that this will be packed with "so-called"upsets.

dbackjon
May 20th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Oh, GOD. In your wet dreams. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx ;)

xlolx xlolx xlolx

Peems
May 20th, 2007, 04:33 PM

you mean the team that only managed 92 yards of total offense with their all american QB, who is now gone?:)

dbackjon
May 20th, 2007, 04:36 PM
you mean the team that only managed 92 yards of total offense with their all american QB, who is now gone?:)

do you ever read the posts when people correct your mistakes?

We've been over this before - Murrietta passed for 93 yards. Alex Henderson RUSHED for 114 yards by himself. Ergo, a hell of a lot more than 92 yards of total offense.xrolleyesx

And no matter how deluded you Griz fans are, NAU had a legit chance to win that game at the end, in MISSOULA, at "Wash-Griz".

PSUVikings
May 20th, 2007, 05:40 PM
PSU has some tough games ahead, McNeese will be tough to beat, NAU will be tough but we went to Flagstaff and beat them so I'm not real worried about them. UC Davis has never beaten PSU at our place, SDSU will be tough but I look foward to it, MSU won't be the same, and UM is our only for sure loss.

JALMOND
May 20th, 2007, 05:48 PM

All three maybe a big stretch. The Cat-Griz game is probably the best shot. I'd give the edge to the Vikes if the game was in Portland this year, the game in Missoula is a different story. NAU may have the same chance of beating the Griz this year as EWU does. Cat-Griz, throw out the records and the situation and it is usually a war.

dbackjon
May 20th, 2007, 05:49 PM
All three maybe a big stretch. The Cat-Griz game is probably the best shot. I'd give the edge to the Vikes if the game was in Portland this year, the game in Missoula is a different story. NAU may have the same chance of beating the Griz this year as EWU does. Cat-Griz, throw out the records and the situation and it is usually a war.

Didn't say that they would lose all three - those are the three that I rate them having the greatest chance to lose.

JALMOND
May 20th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Didn't say that they would lose all three - those are the three that I rate them having the greatest chance to lose.

I know. I threw EWU in there because it seems the years that most everyone is handing the title to the Griz, EWU gives them a surprise, regardless if the game is in Missoula or Cheney. Any game in the conference this year could be a good game.

Griz Fan
May 20th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Montana
Eastern Washington
Northern Arizona
Portland State
Weber State
Idaho State
Montana State
Sacramento State
Northern Colorado

Based on, returning players, new coaches and lots of upsets. This conference is extremely close to pick as each one of these team has the ability to upset the other. To get this one right there will be an usual amount of intangibles that will unravel throughout the season.
As they say..........Any given saturday!

already123
May 25th, 2007, 11:17 PM
First of all....we all know that that Big Sky Conf. is full of ups and downs. With that being said.....

1-Montana (Hard to not pick the team that has one at least a share for what seems the past 20 years)
2-MSU (Only because of the talent returning, it took everything I had not to put them 3rd...maybe even 4th depending on what happens with NAU/PSU)
3-NAU (Great offense, improved defense, favorable schedule)
4-PSU (Tough call between them and NAU...)
5-EWU(Great young players who showed flashes last year)
6-ISU (What happened?!)
7-WSU (Find a QB and things might be a bit different)
8-SAC (Hopefully they will find a way out from under the rocks soon...)
9-UNC (Speechless....)

However things end up shaking...its gonna be ANOTHER great, exciting, and unpredicable year in the Big Sky!!!

CopperCat
May 26th, 2007, 01:49 PM
First of all....we all know that that Big Sky Conf. is full of ups and downs. With that being said.....

1-Montana (Hard to not pick the team that has one at least a share for what seems the past 20 years)
2-MSU (Only because of the talent returning, it took everything I had not to put them 3rd...maybe even 4th depending on what happens with NAU/PSU)
3-NAU (Great offense, improved defense, favorable schedule)
4-PSU (Tough call between them and NAU...)
5-EWU(Great young players who showed flashes last year)
6-ISU (What happened?!)
7-WSU (Find a QB and things might be a bit different)
8-SAC (Hopefully they will find a way out from under the rocks soon...)
9-UNC (Speechless....)

However things end up shaking...its gonna be ANOTHER great, exciting, and unpredicable year in the Big Sky!!!

NAU doesn't have a favorable schedule. They will certainly learn alot from those tougher games, but they probably won't win half of them.

PSU and MSU I think are tied for second as of right now.

already123
May 26th, 2007, 02:36 PM
nau will go at least 5-2 in conf play

CopperCat
May 26th, 2007, 04:10 PM
nau will go at least 5-2 in conf play

I'll believe it when I see it. I'm not discrediting that statement, I just think the middle of the pack from last year is still too cryptic.

catbob
May 26th, 2007, 05:46 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. I'm not discrediting that statement, I just think the middle of the pack from last year is still too cryptic.

Not to mention losing Murietta.

already123
May 26th, 2007, 07:33 PM
very true...but the jacks return 18 including Lance KRiesien, an all purpose player....not to mention if he is not the starter they have a transfer from frenso...

NDSUFREAK
May 26th, 2007, 07:37 PM
already12 is ALREADY looking like someone I know......

CopperCat
May 26th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Not to mention losing Murietta.

He was the biggest cog in that offense. And he was AMAZING too. Now you've got to rebuild that offensive machine, which can take some time. Murietta leaving NAU is a mirror image of what happened to MSU when Lulay left. You will have success this year, but it won't be easy to come like it was with Murietta there.

GOKATS
May 26th, 2007, 09:37 PM
He was the biggest cog in that offense. And he was AMAZING too. Now you've got to rebuild that offensive machine, which can take some time. Murietta leaving NAU is a mirror image of what happened to MSU when Lulay left. You will have success this year, but it won't be easy to come like it was with Murietta there.

I don't have time to check right now, but didn't NAU get a Fresno St. QB transfer?

CopperCat
May 26th, 2007, 09:45 PM
I don't have time to check right now, but didn't NAU get a Fresno St. QB transfer?

I believe he is from Frizno. Sean Norton is his name methinks (I wasn't patient enough to find the NAU thread). There's been some rave about him, but until we actually see him in action all the rave is moot.

already123
May 26th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Yes they did get a transfer. Either one can start. Either way look out for the lumberjacks.

I also have a feeling that EWU will knock off somebody...I cant shake this feeling that they will hand a playoff team a loss...does "E Dub" have montana state at home this year??

CopperCat
May 26th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Yes they did get a transfer. Either one can start. Either way look out for the lumberjacks.

I also have a feeling that EWU will knock off somebody...I cant shake this feeling that they will hand a playoff team a loss...does "E Dub" have montana state at home this year??

Yes they do. But this game will be personal for some of the players. I went to that game in Bozeman last year, and you could tell the players were not very happy with themselves. They'll be playing for the conference chase, but they will also be playing for pride.

EWU was also the team that danced on big M on the 50 yard line two years ago when they beat MSU for the conference title. Anybody on the team who saw that will be quick to remind their comrades of it. If they lose in Cheney next year, I will be surprised.

I DON'T have a feeling that EWU will knock anybody off as of yet.

I Bleed Purple
May 26th, 2007, 10:48 PM
On a side note, I absolutely hate Lulay...

CopperCat
May 26th, 2007, 11:19 PM
On a side note, I absolutely hate Lulay...

After watching him single-handedly beat WSU two years ago, I would understand that. But hate might be a strong word for such a classy guy.....

eagle1
May 26th, 2007, 11:48 PM
I would be seriously surprised if Montana State wins in Cheney this fall. EWU has won four straight over MSU and will be much improved from last fall. I am not surprised that many are not considering EWU to be a contender after a 3-8 season but mark my words they will be good. As I recall, in 2004 EWU came back from like 28 points and won in overtime. I can see why they danced on the M. xlolx Go Eagles!!!

already123
May 27th, 2007, 12:41 AM
well it sounds like EWU will beat MSU....NAU will beat EWU...MONtana will beat NAU...And someone is gonna beat Montana.

classic BSC!
i love it