PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Predictions - Week 10

mvemjsunpx
October 30th, 2019, 08:29 PM
NAU 35-45 EWU — The Eagles are out of the hunt, while the 'Jacks don't deserve to be in it

Montana 33-28 Portland St. — Will Sneed play? Will Sneed be mobile if he does play? Is PSU truly good at home?

Weber 17-28 Sac — Once again, the Big Sky title will go through Sacramento… wait, we aren't talking about golf? xrotatehx

Cal Poly 21-38 Idaho — This is the first-ever meeting between these two teams as I-AA/FCS opponents

NoCo 17-48 Idaho St. — Now that he's back in Pocatello, Matt Struck can change into his Superman costume again

Suutah 13-34 Montana St. — It's the ROOT game-of-the-week for some reason!

bonarae
October 30th, 2019, 08:35 PM
EWU
Griz
Sac
CP
ISU orange
Montana State

JALMOND
October 30th, 2019, 09:25 PM
Currently I'm at 67-11 and still looking for perfection. Seems I've been missing one per week all year and also seems to be very home team oriented this year in the conference. Here is my attempt at perfection.

CP at UI---The Mustangs seem to have been snake-bit for the year, coming so close but can't win. They now head on the road to face the Vandals who have looked unbeatable at home all year. Will the Mustangs find ways to lose and the Vandals find ways to win in this setup?...UI 31, CP 17.

UM at PSU---The Grizzlies are waiting for either Sac State or Weber State to stumble and come out to the Vikings makeshift home for a win. The Vikings have looked good at home, but this is a strong test. Vikings need this if they have their eye on the playoffs...PSU 29, UM 28.

NAU at EWU---Losing a lead after leading throughout was nothing for the Lumberjacks and now they have go to the Eagles den. The Eagles may be a bit shellshocked after their loss last week and could there be a Grizzly hangover here? Does the home team get this one...NAU 42, EWU 38.

UNC at ISU---The Bears had two weeks to prepare for this game and go to the Bengals home where the Bengals have looked unbeatable as well. The Bengals, however, looked terrible playing a bottom feeder last week, but can you chalk that up to them playing on the road...ISU 42, UNC 14.

SUU at MSU---Its been a rough three weeks for the Bobcats who need a win to get back in good graces. They go home this week and play one of the bottom feeders but the Thunderbirds got a solid win at home last week so they should be feeling pretty good now...MSU 33, SUU 21.

WSU at SAC---Who thought this game would be big this week at the beginning of the season? The Wildcats have been solid as usual but the Hornets have taken the conference by surprise. Will Cinderella still be at the dance or will the clock strike midnight on their season...SAC 31, WSU 27.

wapiti
October 31st, 2019, 09:09 AM
@Jalmond; You have done well to be at 67-11. Good job making your picks.

CP 17 at 32 UI--- Idaho has played quite well at home.

UM 42 at 25 PSU---Do the Griz want to exact revenge from last years lost to PSU? That loss kept them out of the playoffs last year.

NAU 27 at 38 EWU---NAU has been scoring, but their opponents have been scoring more.

UNC 24 at 32 ISU---Home team takes this one.

SUU 22 at 32 MSU---MSU needs to right the ship. SUU has righted its ship, but this game is in Bozeman and will the injuries have healed enough for the Bobcats?

WSU 22 at 27 SAC---This has the makings of a slobber knocker. Sac has the better O and is at home.

Grizalltheway
October 31st, 2019, 09:21 AM
@Jalmond; You have done well to be at 67-11. Good job making your picks.

CP 17 at 32 UI--- Idaho has played quite well at home.

UM 42 at 25 PSU---Do the Griz want to exact revenge from last years lost to PSU? That loss kept them out of the playoffs last year.

NAU 27 at 38 EWU---NAU has been scoring, but their opponents have been scoring more.

UNC 24 at 32 ISU---Home team takes this one.

SUU 22 at 32 MSU---MSU needs to right the ship. SUU has righted its ship, but this game is in Bozeman and will the injuries have healed enough for the Bobcats?

WSU 22 at 27 SAC---This has the makings of a slobber knocker. Sac has the better O and is at home.

Not really. They were 4-2 after that game.

MSUBobcat
October 31st, 2019, 10:40 AM

Any of the 5 losses could be blamed for keeping them out of the playoffs. One could (especially if one was a Bobcat fan) argue that one single play to end the season kept the Griz out of the playoffs last year. xsmiley_wix

My go at it:

Poly @ Idaho - home cooking for Idaho suits them. Vandals by 10.
UM @PSU - the Vikes play much better at home (but what team doesn't); however, the Griz are looking to get back to the playoffs; Montana by 9.
NAU @ EWU - this is likely to be a shootout; going with the field causing vision problems for everyone whose retinas haven't previously be burned to give the Eags the edge; EWU by 6.
UNC @ ISU - the Bears are.... not good. And playing the Bengals in their Quonset. ISU by 17.
SUU @ MSU - a once-promising season has gone off the rails for the 'Cats. QB play is beyond anemic. Do they start the 1st chair trumpet player under center? If so, Cats by 14. If Rovig.... Cats by 4.
WSU @ Sac St. - to start the year, this was an unlikely game to be the one to have perhaps the most significant impact on BSC standings; the ol' immovable argument vs unstoppable force argument. Weber slow them down, but Sac's defense slows down BBQ's offense more. Upstart Hornets by 7.

Grizalltheway
October 31st, 2019, 11:20 AM
Any of the 5 losses could be blamed for keeping them out of the playoffs. One could (especially if one was a Bobcat fan) argue that one single play to end the season kept the Griz out of the playoffs last year. xsmiley_wix

My go at it:

Poly @ Idaho - home cooking for Idaho suits them. Vandals by 10.
UM @PSU - the Vikes play much better at home (but what team doesn't); however, the Griz are looking to get back to the playoffs; Montana by 9.
NAU @ EWU - this is likely to be a shootout; going with the field causing vision problems for everyone whose retinas haven't previously be burned to give the Eags the edge; EWU by 6.
UNC @ ISU - the Bears are.... not good. And playing the Bengals in their Quonset. ISU by 17.
SUU @ MSU - a once-promising season has gone off the rails for the 'Cats. QB play is beyond anemic. Do they start the 1st chair trumpet player under center? If so, Cats by 14. If Rovig.... Cats by 4.
WSU @ Sac St. - to start the year, this was an unlikely game to be the one to have perhaps the most significant impact on BSC standings; the ol' immovable argument vs unstoppable force argument. Weber slow them down, but Sac's defense slows down BBQ's offense more. Upstart Hornets by 7.

Yeah, yeah, you guys had your fun, but it's time for the natural order of things to be restored.

https://i.imgflip.com/4zjdp.gif

wapiti
October 31st, 2019, 11:38 AM

But the loss to PSU was a bad loss. The loss to MSU was not.

Grizalltheway
October 31st, 2019, 11:45 AM
But the loss to PSU was a bad loss. The loss to MSU was not.
But it wasn't the one that kept them out of the playoffs. Are you saying if they had finished 9-2 they would have been left out because of that game?

Silenoz
October 31st, 2019, 12:10 PM

I am fine with not losing to NDSU by 50 in the playoffs last year.

Grizzlies82
October 31st, 2019, 01:48 PM
NAU 35-45 EWU — The Eagles are out of the hunt, while the 'Jacks don't deserve to be in it

Montana 33-28 Portland St. — Will Sneed play? Will Sneed be mobile if he does play? Is PSU truly good at home?

Weber 17-28 Sac — Once again, the Big Sky title will go through Sacramento… wait, we aren't talking about golf? xrotatehx

Cal Poly 21-38 Idaho — This is the first-ever meeting between these two teams as I-AA/FCS opponents

NoCo 17-48 Idaho St. — Now that he's back in Pocatello, Matt Struck can change into his Superman costume again

Suutah 13-34 Montana St. — It's the ROOT game-of-the-week for some reason!

I believe you have all the right answers except... So Utah may beat MT State, or at the least this is a tight game.

I believe the bobcat slide is far from over. I almost feel bad for them. They are a reasonably good team but they have zero confidence going for them. You could see the doubt creep in after the failed 4th down attempt versus Sac State. That was greatly amplified as that game went on. They then had two weeks to shake it off and recover versus a middle of the road No. Dakota team. Instead they looked / played like they were lost. There is a very high chance they go 1-3 in their remaining 4 games. I'd rather they'd win 3 going into the Cat/Griz game so the Grizzlies could crush them and "steal their souls" (thank you coach Choate) and send them to playoff hell in Fargo.

wapiti
October 31st, 2019, 08:03 PM
I am fine with not losing to NDSU by 50 in the playoffs last year.

So you would rather not be in the playoffs than have to play NDSU???? That seems odd for a Griz fan to say.

wapiti
October 31st, 2019, 08:06 PM
But it wasn't the one that kept them out of the playoffs. Are you saying if they had finished 9-2 they would have been left out because of that game?

You sound like liberal media reporter. Twisting what I said.
If the Griz were 7-4 last year, the difference being they beat PSU, the griz would have been in the playoffs.
The loss to PSU hurt you more than the loss to MSU did.

mvemjsunpx
October 31st, 2019, 08:14 PM
I believe you have all the right answers except... So Utah may beat MT State, or at the least this is a tight game.

I believe the bobcat slide is far from over. I almost feel bad for them. They are a reasonably good team but they have zero confidence going for them. You could see the doubt creep in after the failed 4th down attempt versus Sac State. That was greatly amplified as that game went on. They then had two weeks to shake it off and recover versus a middle of the road No. Dakota team. Instead they looked / played like they were lost. There is a very high chance they go 1-3 in their remaining 4 games. I'd rather they'd win 3 going into the Cat/Griz game so the Grizzlies could crush them and "steal their souls" (thank you coach Choate) and send them to playoff hell in Fargo.

I think you're seriously overestimating Southern Utah.

Silenoz
October 31st, 2019, 08:35 PM
So you would rather not be in the playoffs than have to play NDSU???? That seems odd for a Griz fan to say.

I'm saying I didn't lose sleep over missing the playoffs past year

Grizzlies82
November 1st, 2019, 06:26 PM
I think you're seriously overestimating Southern Utah.

So. Utah isn't a major threat. Instead I believe MT State has completely lost its mojo. It appears the cats lost faith in their coach. Lost faith in each other. Lost (actually never had) faith in their QB (singular or plural). In addition they are a running team which has injured all of their top running backs.

Even though they are banged up, physically Southern Utah and No. Colorado should still be easy wins for MSU. Mentally is where they are in deepest trouble. Going into the season they believed they were destined for the semi-finals, or at least the quarters.

After getting pounded by Sac State at home they were understandably shell shocked. With their bye they had two weeks to shake that off. I expected a good team to take out their anger on No. Dakota and make a statement. Instead I saw a team that was completely adrift and at the end looked like they had expected the loss. They should beat So. Utah & No. Colorado but I'll be shocked if they roll either of them.

Grizalltheway
November 1st, 2019, 06:50 PM
You sound like liberal media reporter. Twisting what I said.
If the Griz were 7-4 last year, the difference being they beat PSU, the griz would have been in the playoffs.
The loss to PSU hurt you more than the loss to MSU did.

If they had won one of any of the games they lost they would have been in, and Griz/cat was a defacto play-in game. I can't believe I'm having to work this hard to convince a cat fan that they knocked the Griz out of playoff contention.xlolx

mvemjsunpx
November 1st, 2019, 08:35 PM
So. Utah isn't a major threat. Instead I believe MT State has completely lost its mojo. It appears the cats lost faith in their coach. Lost faith in each other. Lost (actually never had) faith in their QB (singular or plural). In addition they are a running team which has injured all of their top running backs.

Even though they are banged up, physically Southern Utah and No. Colorado should still be easy wins for MSU. Mentally is where they are in deepest trouble. Going into the season they believed they were destined for the semi-finals, or at least the quarters.

After getting pounded by Sac State at home they were understandably shell shocked. With their bye they had two weeks to shake that off. I expected a good team to take out their anger on No. Dakota and make a statement. Instead I saw a team that was completely adrift and at the end looked like they had expected the loss. They should beat So. Utah & No. Colorado but I'll be shocked if they roll either of them.

I think you're really going out on a limb with this. I'm as contemptuous of MSU as anyone, but even I don't think they would crumble at that kind of cartoonish level. They actually played Sac closer than any other FCS team has so far, and the idea they would whip UND on the road was pretty far fetched—NoDak is always tough at home. The Bobcats have problems, of course, but they don't have SUU/NoCo-level problems.

SUPharmacist
November 1st, 2019, 11:14 PM
NAU
Montana
Weber State
Idaho
Idaho State
Montana State

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 2nd, 2019, 07:45 AM
I'm saying I didn't lose sleep over missing the playoffs past year

Will Montana make the playoffs this year even?

Griz defense is mediocre at best. #95 in total defense and #42 in scoring defense.

Are both Montana schools just paper tigers having the advantage of a big conference and not playing everyone in a given year?

100%GRIZ
November 2nd, 2019, 09:50 AM
Eastern
GRIZ
Sac
Idaho
isu
msu

100%GRIZ
November 2nd, 2019, 09:59 AM

Griz defense is mediocre at best. #95 in total defense and #42 in scoring defense.

Are both Montana schools just paper tigers having the advantage of a big conference and not playing everyone in a given year?
We will know in 3 weeks!

JALMOND
November 3rd, 2019, 01:03 AM
Currently I'm at 67-11 and still looking for perfection. Seems I've been missing one per week all year and also seems to be very home team oriented this year in the conference. Here is my attempt at perfection.

CP at UI---The Mustangs seem to have been snake-bit for the year, coming so close but can't win. They now head on the road to face the Vandals who have looked unbeatable at home all year. Will the Mustangs find ways to lose and the Vandals find ways to win in this setup?...UI 31, CP 17.

UM at PSU---The Grizzlies are waiting for either Sac State or Weber State to stumble and come out to the Vikings makeshift home for a win. The Vikings have looked good at home, but this is a strong test. Vikings need this if they have their eye on the playoffs...PSU 29, UM 28.

NAU at EWU---Losing a lead after leading throughout was nothing for the Lumberjacks and now they have go to the Eagles den. The Eagles may be a bit shellshocked after their loss last week and could there be a Grizzly hangover here? Does the home team get this one...NAU 42, EWU 38.

UNC at ISU---The Bears had two weeks to prepare for this game and go to the Bengals home where the Bengals have looked unbeatable as well. The Bengals, however, looked terrible playing a bottom feeder last week, but can you chalk that up to them playing on the road...ISU 42, UNC 14.

SUU at MSU---Its been a rough three weeks for the Bobcats who need a win to get back in good graces. They go home this week and play one of the bottom feeders but the Thunderbirds got a solid win at home last week so they should be feeling pretty good now...MSU 33, SUU 21.

WSU at SAC---Who thought this game would be big this week at the beginning of the season? The Wildcats have been solid as usual but the Hornets have taken the conference by surprise. Will Cinderella still be at the dance or will the clock strike midnight on their season...SAC 31, WSU 27.

Not one of my better outings this week. 2-4 puts me at 69-15.

mvemjsunpx
November 3rd, 2019, 01:32 AM

The Griz won't lose to Idaho at home, and that'll be enough to effectively clinch a playoff berth.

Montana has a better record than I expected at this point, but the schedule has been weaker. The Griz presently have just one win over a team with a winning record (Monmouth). Because of that, it's possible 9-3 won't be good enough for a seed.
2019 is looking pretty similar to 2013: a 10-2 record only got the Griz the #8-seed that year.

veinup
November 3rd, 2019, 08:11 AM
The Griz won't lose to Idaho at home, and that'll be enough to effectively clinch a playoff berth.

Montana has a better record than I expected at this point, but the schedule has been weaker. The Griz presently have just one win over a team with a winning record (Monmouth). Because of that, it's possible 9-3 won't be good enough for a seed.
2019 is looking pretty similar to 2013: a 10-2 record only got the Griz the #8-seed that year.

i agree with this and i’m also perfectly fine with it. any return to the post season makes this season a success imo. if the griz get seeded i think they’ve really surpassed expectations.

Silenoz
November 3rd, 2019, 12:15 PM

Dunno. Won't lose sleep over that either. But we are trending in the right direction and I'm happy with the thought of Humphrey at QB next year so that should little if any dropoff there. 2020 or 2021 is hopefully when we make our move.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 3rd, 2019, 12:17 PM
Dunno. Won't lose sleep over that either. But we are trending in the right direction and I'm happy with the thought of Humphrey at QB next year so that should little if any dropoff there. 2020 or 2021 is hopefully when we make our move.

Good to hear.

NDSU is going to be a better team the next 3 years and hopefully they see the Griz on the field.

uofmman1122
November 3rd, 2019, 12:27 PM

MSU, arguably yes. They've only played two teams in the top half of the Big Sky (I'm counting UND, so if you take them out, it's only one) and lost to both of them.

Us? We've played or will play every team in the top half of the Big Sky this season, so 'paper tiger' doesn't really apply here. If we get to 9 wins, we'll definitely have earned it.

Will we still get slaughtered in a quarterfinal game in Fargo? Probably.

No arguments on the defensive criticism. "Meh" is about as favorable a description of our secondary as it deserves.