PDA

View Full Version : Seattle Univ Looking for Div I Home

TexasTerror
May 14th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Who wants them? They were already rejected by the West Coast Conference. The AD still thinks they have a shot mentioning the Western Athletic Conference, the Big Sky and the Pac-10...

Sorry big guy, if the WCC is not interested, not sure the WAC or Pac-10 would have an interest. The Big Sky has no interest either, I'd assume unless they saw a few schools leave...

Seattle Univ Release:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2003703807_seattleu12.html

Seattle Newspaper
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2003703807_seattleu12.html

aggie6thman
May 14th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Ha, the WAC, Pac-10 and Big Sky do not want them at all. I don't think they even sponsor football.

TexasTerror
May 14th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Ha, the WAC, Pac-10 and Big Sky do not want them at all. I don't think they even sponsor football.

They don't. They are basketball-heavy (reminds you of another institution in the state of Washington that we'd all like to have football)...

Peems
May 14th, 2007, 09:19 PM
my friend goes there and blabbers about how they will soon be D1 and goes on and on and on about how good they will be. First they gotta get a home

PantherRob82
May 14th, 2007, 09:44 PM
DI basketball is already too big.

Fresno St. Alum
May 14th, 2007, 11:43 PM
Here is Seattle's hope. They hope that the WCC will take them back after the provisional membership is over. They were a member from 71-79 or 80. The other conference they speak up are just bs that is being fed to supporters who will actually buy it.

Fresno St. Alum
May 14th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Seattle University was a Division I athletic institution until 1980 when a change is its athletic affiliation was made. During the 50's, 60's and 70's Seattle University enjoyed great success in men's basketball and other sports. Currently Seattle University participates as an NCAA Division II institution in the Great Northwest Athletic Conference (GNAC). The SU's Athletic Alignment Study Task Force has been engaged in the formal review of its athletic conference affiliation since October 2006.

During the one-year exploratory period of the NCAA process, the university will examine all aspects of its athletic program, while continuing to play in the GNAC. Intercollegiate competition for Seattle University at the Division I level could begin in the 2009-2010 season.

I hope the WCC lets them in, in 5 years or they're screwed

Go...gate
May 15th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Seattle University was a Division I athletic institution until 1980 when a change is its athletic affiliation was made. During the 50's, 60's and 70's Seattle University enjoyed great success in men's basketball and other sports. Currently Seattle University participates as an NCAA Division II institution in the Great Northwest Athletic Conference (GNAC). The SU's Athletic Alignment Study Task Force has been engaged in the formal review of its athletic conference affiliation since October 2006.

During the one-year exploratory period of the NCAA process, the university will examine all aspects of its athletic program, while continuing to play in the GNAC. Intercollegiate competition for Seattle University at the Division I level could begin in the 2009-2010 season.

I hope the WCC lets them in, in 5 years or they're screwed

Seattle University is Elgin Baylor's Alma Mater. AIR, he led them to the NCAA BB Finals in 1958, where they lost to Kentucky's "Fiddlin Five" - Adolph Rupp's last NCAA Champion.

It was a Catholic school at one time.

dbackjon
May 15th, 2007, 11:31 AM
DI basketball is already too big.

With Seattle's past DI history and success, they are one school I have no problem with moving back to DI - they never should have left.

89Hen
May 15th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Still is. My nephew is actually transferring there next fall after his first year at Washington and Lee. xeyebrowx

Gil Dobie
May 15th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Didn't Spencer Haywood go there too?

crunifan
May 15th, 2007, 04:32 PM
I wouldn't think it would be too hard for Seattle find a conference. They would be a good addition for basketball for the Big Sky. I think the lack of football is the big problem for the Big Sky and WAC. And the Pac-10 won't add anyone anytime soon.

Go...gate
May 15th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Didn't Spencer Haywood go there too?

I believe he went to the University of Detroit.

Fresno St. Alum
May 15th, 2007, 06:40 PM
The will have a short provisional membership of 3 years like Houston Baptist instead of 5 since they were D-I

Marcus Garvey
May 15th, 2007, 06:45 PM

It still is, Jesuit if I'm not mistaken.

They're a good fit for the WCC, but I can't blame them for not wanting to expand beyond 8. 7 of the 8 member schools are Catholic, and the 8th (Pepperdine) is also private and affiliated with a church too. If the conference were to expand, it'd probably be to 10 teams. What other DII or DIII schools along the West Coast might be a good fit to move to DI and join the WCC? I suppose Pacific, who's already DI, would work too. They were once a member I think.

dbackjon
May 15th, 2007, 06:49 PM
It still is, Jesuit if I'm not mistaken.

They're a good fit for the WCC, but I can't blame them for not wanting to expand beyond 8. 7 of the 8 member schools are Catholic, and the 8th (Pepperdine) is also private and affiliated with a church too. If the conference were to expand, it'd probably be to 10 teams. What other DII or DIII schools along the West Coast might be a good fit to move to DI and join the WCC? I suppose Pacific, who's already DI, would work too. They were once a member I think.

Seattle, which used to belong to the WCC, would be a perfect fit. The WCC might reexamine expansion after the provisional period is up.

Pacific would be a good fit as well.

Fresno St. Alum
May 15th, 2007, 07:53 PM
On the USF website it said that the WCC was looking at Seattle, Pacific, and Denver, yes Denver. Even thought its not west coast the flight costs wouldn't be that expensive because Denver has a major airport. USD to Denver is shorter than USD to Seattle

Marcus Garvey
May 15th, 2007, 08:11 PM
On the USF website it said that the WCC was looking at Seattle, Pacific, and Denver, yes Denver. Even thought its not west coast the flight costs wouldn't be that expensive because Denver has a major airport. USD to Denver is shorter than USD to Seattle

Excellent points. Without looking it up, I'm betting even Spokane Airport has direct flights to Denver.

Fresno St. Alum
May 15th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Denver and Dallas are major hubs

I Bleed Purple
May 15th, 2007, 08:44 PM
If the BSC didn't require football for membership, it might work. 10 teams is so much better than 9 in sports not named football. Change PSU's travelling partner to Sac. St. and you have Seattle and EWU as a travelling partner. Still puts NAU and UNC in a little bit of an island, but it still is better than nine.

RockyMtnGriz
May 16th, 2007, 10:46 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if the BSC did make an exception for Seattle University and bring them in even without football. BSC Commissioner Fullerton is always interested in getting the BSC into the larger markets. The BSC also has an unbalanced basketball schedule because of 9 teams.

I could see SU being a travel partner with UNC for basketball, since both have major airports (UNC close to Denver).

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 16th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Excellent points. Without looking it up, I'm betting even Spokane Airport has direct flights to Denver.

Do you mean non-stop flight? In the travel industry a direct flight always was a one-stop, no change of plane flight. Somewhere all the way, the American public started interchanging the two terms. Be careful what you ask for!

I spent a long, long time with a Travel Agent and heard about this topic quite often. xlolx

NoCoDanny
May 16th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Denver has been hoping to get in the WCC for a while now.