PDA

View Full Version : 78th Magic City Classic goes down in Birmingham this weekend.

ASU33
October 23rd, 2019, 02:04 PM
For the 78th time Alabama A&M and Alabama State will hook-up in one of the largest FCS games in the country. Tailgating has been going since Monday and festivities officially started on Sunday. Both team enter the game in contention for a SWAC Eastern Division title for the first time since 2013. The winner stay within striking distance of Alcorn State while the loser's chances become slim. Shaq is this year's ambassador and Grand Marshall of the parade but he will be one of several celebrities who will be in Birmingham for the game and festivities. Alabama A&M won last year 27-10 but there has not been a back to back winner in the series since ASU in 2012 and 2013. Crowd is expected to exceed 65,000 with an estimated 50,000 in the tailgate area during the game.

https://www.al.com/news/2019/09/shaquille-oneal-to-be-magic-city-classic-ambassador.html

DFW HOYA
October 23rd, 2019, 02:13 PM
For the 78th time Alabama A&M and Alabama State will hook-up in one of the largest FCS games in the country. Tailgating has been going since Monday and festivities officially started on Sunday. Both team enter the game in contention for a SWAC Eastern Division title for the first time since 2013. The winner stay within striking distance of Alcorn State while the loser's chances become slim. Shaq is this year's ambassador and Grand Marshall of the parade but he will be one of several celebrities who will be in Birmingham for the game and festivities. Alabama A&M won last year 27-10 but there has not been a back to back winner in the series since ASU in 2012 and 2013. Crowd is expected to exceed 65,000 with an estimated 50,000 in the tailgate area during the game.

https://www.al.com/news/2019/09/shaquille-oneal-to-be-magic-city-classic-ambassador.html

Even if your're not interested in the game , check the photo of Shaq's hands around the basketball.

ASU33
October 23rd, 2019, 02:16 PM
Even if your're not interested in the game , check the photo of Shaq's hands around the basketball.

He makes it look like a nerf ball. Dude is HUGE!

Anthony215
October 23rd, 2019, 03:01 PM
This game will outdraw 70% of all other college football games when you combine in stadium attendance along with the tailgating outside the stadium.

Professor
October 23rd, 2019, 03:22 PM
I have got to get to this one year. Hate this is the same time as A&T homecoming

Professor
October 23rd, 2019, 03:25 PM

Do you know the date for 2020

ASU33
October 23rd, 2019, 04:37 PM
Do you know the date for 2020

October 31, 2020. Classic is always the last Saturday in October.

Panther88
October 23rd, 2019, 05:39 PM
Hope the weather holds out for the MCC. There is a west-to-east sweeping front due in SEtx late Thursday night that looks to be boomer. That puts the same system (L) through Alabama Friday mid-late towards Saturday.

I can only imagine what the atmosphere is like w/ the MCC (tailgating) and the > 65K+ crowds. I sat w/ a SFC that drew 63K when coach Rob set the all-time record vs us. We had our HC'ing this past w/e and there were only 13.9K bordering sellout in the stadium but had to be another 30-35K+ outside the stadium in RVs, tailgating, concerting, etc. I've never seen that many RVs and people in one confined space on our campus before.

ASU33
October 23rd, 2019, 06:31 PM
Hope the weather holds out for the MCC. There is west-to-east sweeping front due in SEtx late Thursday night that looks to be boomer. That puts the same system (L) through Alabama Friday mid-late towards Saturday.

I can only imagine what the atmosphere is like w/ the MCC (tailgating) and the > 65K+ crowds. I sat w/ a SFC that drew 63K when coach Rob set the all-time record vs us. We had our HC'ing this past w/e and there were only 13.9K bordering sellout in the stadium but had to be another 30-35K+ outside the stadium in RVs, tailgating, concerting, etc. I've never seen that many RVs and people in one confined space on our campus before.

So far the high Saturday is 72 with a 40% chance of rain.

Panther88
October 24th, 2019, 09:51 AM
So far the high Saturday is 72 with a 40% chance of rain.

Perfect Oct temp for a football game. Hopefully the rain disperses about the B'ham area.

Looking forward to the official #s. The SFC, MCC, FC, and BC are the attendance setters for D-I FCS football.

Professor
October 24th, 2019, 10:16 AM
October 31, 2020. Classic is always the last Saturday in October.

UGH , that's our Homecoming again

OhioHen
October 24th, 2019, 10:43 AM
More rivalries need to be this big of a deal!

ASU33
October 24th, 2019, 12:24 PM
UGH , that's our Homecoming again

Yeah GHOE usually falls on the same date as MCC. I know that it has the last few years.

ASU33
October 25th, 2019, 08:31 AM
More rivalries need to be this big of a deal!

I agree. Hopefully this game can draw Gameday in year. People would be blown away by the magnitude of this rivalry.

slostang
October 25th, 2019, 08:47 AM
He
My daughter’s club basketball team played against a club with two of Shaq’s daughters on it. I am a former college O-Lineman and don’t feel small very often. When he walked by me after the game I felt tiny. He is huge. He was also very gracious and took pictures and talked with people after the game. His younger daughter was also a very good basketball player. A lot of colleges will be chasing her in a couple of years.

The game and festivities sounds like a blast.

ASU33
October 25th, 2019, 01:52 PM
He
My daughter’s club basketball team played against a club with two of Shaq’s daughters on it. I am a former college O-Lineman and don’t feel small very often. When he walked by me after the game I felt tiny. He is huge. He was also very gracious and took pictures and talked with people after the game. His younger daughter was also a very good basketball player. A lot of colleges will be chasing her in a couple of years.

The game and festivities sounds like a blast.

Unfortunately Shaq won't be attending due to the death of his sister earlier this morning.😢😢

FormerPokeCenter
October 25th, 2019, 02:18 PM
He makes it look like a nerf ball. Dude is HUGE!

That's probably a novelty basketball...

Here's a picture of him from a game....the ball's proportionately bigger..

Condolences to the big man on the loss of his sister....

https://www.wweek.com/resizer/n_zz1m3ccufXUVLJnLMAlsw-fnw=/1200x0/filters:quality(100)/s3.amazonaws.com/arc-wordpress-client-uploads/wweek/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/01111446/Shaquille-ONeal-e1569954099339.jpg

Panther88
October 25th, 2019, 04:48 PM
Unfortunately Shaq won't be attending due to the death of his sister earlier this morning.

That's sad ASU33. Last week, Elijah's wife (Dr Maya R-C), undergrad alum, was due to speak at one of PV's HC'ing festivities and had to cancel, naturally, when her husband passed earlier that morning. Sincerest condolences to Ayesha's family and friends.