Southern Illinois Salukis

Most Significant Win:

Sac State Hornets

Most Significant Loss:

Furman Paladins

https://i.imgur.com/73eiwmH.png

Daytripper
October 21st, 2019, 11:55 AM
I know at this point it is body of work that matters and not necessarily head to head match ups, but should Nicholls be seven spots higher that SHSU after being shut out by the Bearkats?

clenz
October 21st, 2019, 12:00 PM
What in the flying hell are people seeing in Kennesaw?

They have an SOS of 105 out of 125
2 non D1 wins
D1 wins over
3-3 Alabama State
1-5 Missouri State
2-5 Charleston Southern
0-7 Presby

They'll go 11-1 and get rewarded with a bull**** 4 seed....just...I don't get it.

Professor Chaos
October 21st, 2019, 12:01 PM
Here's this week's poll article: http://thefcswedge.com/ags-poll/ags-poll-week-8-top-25-results-2/

Some thoughts

You could tell voters struggled quite a bit this week. It seemed kind of inconsistent how teams like Furman and Nicholls weren't punished too badly for losing headscratching games but then teams like Austin Peay, Youngstown, and New Hampshire fell off the map for the same thing.
Some teams are moving up just due to laziness IMO. Towson is the one I'll pick on. Their best win is against The Citadel and they have a pretty bad loss to Albany (ranked 11 spots below them). There are a few teams in the ORV with better resumes than Towson IMO.
I'll continue to beat the Incarnate Word drum. I still don't think they're getting the respect they deserve and with Sam Houston being ranked you can't really say their lone FCS loss is all that bad anymore either.

JMUNJ08
October 21st, 2019, 12:02 PM
I know at this point it is body of work that matters and not necessarily head to head match ups, but should Nicholls be seven spots higher that SHSU after being shut out by the Bearkats?

About where I had them (waiting on my confirm email to post). Can really see there is a consensus top 6 and then the ledge of everyone else. NC A&T & Florida A&M I think is more crazy as NC A&T's only real W is Elon which is 3-4... SHSU/ Nicholls you can point to more data but the H2H of the MEAC should carry alot more weight

Daytripper
October 21st, 2019, 12:04 PM

2 non D1 wins
D1 wins over
3-3 Alabama State
1-5 Missouri State
2-5 Charleston Southern
0-7 Presby

They'll go 11-1 and get rewarded with a bull**** 4 seed....just...I don't get it.

Agree that they have a soft schedule, but they are beating who is in front of them and whether we like it or not, they have a recent track record that probably holds weight with voters.

clenz
October 21st, 2019, 12:05 PM
Here's this week's poll article: http://thefcswedge.com/ags-poll/ags-poll-week-8-top-25-results-2/

Some thoughts

You could tell voters struggled quite a bit this week. It seemed kind of inconsistent how teams like Furman and Nicholls weren't punished too badly for losing headscratching games but then teams like Austin Peay, Youngstown, and New Hampshire fell off the map for the same thing.
Some teams are moving up just due to laziness IMO. Towson is the one I'll pick on. Their best win is against The Citadel and they have a pretty bad loss to Albany (ranked 11 spots below them). There are a few teams in the ORV with better resumes than Towson IMO.
I'll continue to beat the Incarnate Word drum. I still don't think they're getting the respect they deserve and with Sam Houston being ranked you can't really say their lone FCS loss is all that bad anymore either.

YSU isn't punished for one head scratching loss

They've been outscored 66-17 in their last 14.5 quarters of play
They've lost 3 straight game - UNI SDSU and SIU
You could argue 2 of those are "good" losses but they didn't win them. They are tied with WIU for last place in the MVFC a third of the way through the conference season and over half way though the season

Their OOC was real bad, again, and were propped up early in the rankings because they feast on NEC and PFL teams. The fact they got any votes at all is what is appalling

Professor Chaos

2 non D1 wins
D1 wins over
3-3 Alabama State
1-5 Missouri State
2-5 Charleston Southern
0-7 Presby

Lack of options. I have them at #9 and they're pretty much at their ceiling for me unless things really implode in front of them. There's plenty of teams with awful weak resumes in the top 20 though. You could make the same argument against #14 Princeton (whose SOS is actually worse than Kennesaw's), #16 Dartmouth, and #18 CCSU.

YSU isn't punished for one head scratching loss

They've been outscored 66-17 in their last 14.5 quarters of play
They've lost 3 straight game - UNI SDSU and SIU
You could argue 2 of those are "good" losses but they didn't win them. They are tied with WIU for last place in the MVFC a third of the way through the conference season and over half way though the season

Their OOC was real bad, again, and were propped up early in the rankings because they feast on NEC and PFL teams. The fact they got any votes at all is what is appalling
So how is Furman different from YSU? I'm not saying YSU shouldn't be punished for losing to SIU but it seems like Furman was given a pass in relation.

dbackjon

2 non D1 wins
D1 wins over
3-3 Alabama State
1-5 Missouri State
2-5 Charleston Southern
0-7 Presby

I had them at 15

clenz
October 21st, 2019, 12:07 PM
Lack of options. I have them at #9 and they're pretty much at their ceiling for me unless things really implode in front of them. There's plenty of teams with awful weak resumes in the top 20 though. You could make the same argument against #14 Princeton (whose SOS is actually worse than Kennesaw's), #16 Dartmouth, and #18 CCSU.
I didn't rank CCSU
I punished the Ivy's with a pretty heafty "multiplier" for SOS - just as I do Kennesaw

I've seen what Big South teams look like in the playoffs. I watch Kennesaw be super unimpressive against 1-5 Missouri State.

They are what SHSU was in the SLC between 11-17.

2 NON D1 WINS....2...and one of those non D1s is 2-5 right now

They are a 4 win D1 team with zero wins over teams over .500 and a combined 6-20

Professor Chaos
October 21st, 2019, 12:08 PM
This is what I came up with.

1: North Dakota State Bison
2: James Madison Dukes
3: Sacramento State Hornets
4: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
5: Weber State Wildcats
6: Villanova Wildcats
7: Montana Grizzlies
8: Northern Iowa Panthers
9: Kennesaw State Owls
10: Central Arkansas Bears
11: Montana State Bobcats
12: Illinois State Redbirds
13: Nicholls State Colonels
14: Princeton Tigers
15: Dartmouth Big Green
16: Furman Paladins
17: Sam Houston State Bearkats
18: Incarnate Word Cardinals
19: New Hampshire Wildcats
20: Stony Brook Seawolves
21: Central Connecticut State Blue Devils
22: Austin Peay Governors
23: Southeast Missouri State Redhawks
24: Albany Great Danes
25: Wofford Terriers

F'N Hawks
October 21st, 2019, 12:15 PM
Illinois State continues to get major respect for whatever reason. #8 in the Stats poll and #10 in the AGS poll.

Professor Chaos
October 21st, 2019, 12:16 PM
Illinois State continues to get major respect for whatever reason. #8 in the Stats poll and #10 in the AGS poll.
Same answer as Kennesaw... lack of options below them. Somebody has to be there. No bad losses is able to prop them up above the mess that's happened behind them.

clenz
October 21st, 2019, 12:18 PM
So how is Furman different from YSU? I'm not saying YSU shouldn't be punished for losing to SIU but it seems like Furman was given a pass in relation.
I didn't rank Furman...I don't think. Don't remember if I'm honest

The difference, if I'm being forced to make one

OOC performances plus Samford

Furman was able to show they have a higher ceiling with the way they pushed a P5 and a G5 schools that are both 5-2
Samford was a 58-14 win for Furman and 45-22 for YSU. 13 more points scored and 8 less given up

To this point Furman has played a stronger SOS per Massey.

There is - and this was mentioned by you with Towson - some lazy slot voting that goes into it. YSU has lost 3 in a row thus they HAVE to drop and drop pretty hard. 1 expected loss, 1 loss that was mostly expected, can be excused by slot voters. But not a loss to SIU. That's 3 straight, slot voting means they have to tank

Furman, OTOH, had one 3 in a row before losing this past weekend. Slot voters had them trending up and 1 loss isn't enough to do to them what it did to YSU.

Also - we've seen this story from YSU every single year outside of 2016 for the lsat 12 years from YSU. A year or two ago I went through and posted every FCS game YSU played, the record, and then Valley record after it.

They went like 12 years without a road FCS game - and played exclusively NEC and PFL teams. They didn't lose an OOC FCS game in 12 years. Average OOC record was like 2.5-.5 (occasional FBS game). Average MVFC record over that time was essentially 3-5. It's the same story different year with YSU. Beat up a bad OOC, jack up the ranking, lose 4 or 5 valley games and then bitch come selection sunday you were left out at 7-4 or 6-5 in the expanded playoffs because they are a Valley team and had to play UNI SDSU NDSU and ISUr and "IF WE PLAYED IN CONFERENCE X WE WIN MORE GAMES"...You know, the type of valley fan everyone else hates.

RabidRabbit
October 21st, 2019, 12:18 PM
Give me your thoughts, critiques about this ballet.

Hello RabidRabbit,

We have received your AGS Top 25 vote on 10/20/2019 15:49:08

Your vote is listed below.

2: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
3: James Madison Dukes
4: Weber State Wildcats
5: Sac State Hornets
7: Kennesaw State Owls
8: Northern Iowa Panthers
9: Illinois State Redbirds
10: Montana Grizzlies
11: Nicholls State Colonels
12: Montana State Bobcats
13: Central Arkansas Bears
14: Furman Paladins
15: North Carolina A&T Aggies
16: Dartmouth Big Green
17: Princeton Tigers
18: Towson Tigers
19: Central Connecticut State Blue Devils
20: Southern Illinois Salukis
21: Chattanooga Mocs
22: Stony Brook Seawolves
23: Youngstown State Penguins
24: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
25: Sam Houston State Bearkats

RabidRabbit

The Most Significant Win: Sac State Hornets
The Most Significant Loss: Jacksonville State Gamecocks

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

clenz
October 21st, 2019, 12:19 PM
They are the ultimate beneficiary of no other options right now. They've been 13-15 all season long. Every week. Now they jump into the top 10 through nothing they did other than survive.

UNI/ISUr in 2 weeks is "the turning point" game for both.

dbackjon
October 21st, 2019, 12:28 PM

Dartmouth was 25 for me. Princeton unranked, and CCSU 19 (which is probably too high)

MR. CHICKEN
October 21st, 2019, 12:29 PM
.....AGS.....TO KIND.........TA........GRIZZWALD'S....OWN-LAH DROPPIN' TWO SPACES.......WHOM LOST BAH 4 TD'S......DROPPIN' TWO IS USUALLAH...RESERVED FO' LOSIN' BAH UH SCORE O' LESS.......LAST WEEK.....IT WAS NORFFERN IOWA........C'MON BOYS.......NEED MO' PUNISHMENT...........BRAWK!!

uofmman1122
October 21st, 2019, 12:32 PM
Hate to say it, but Montana at #7 without Sneed might be a little bit of a stretch. We’ve got a pretty huge “prove it” game this weekend.

Professor Chaos
October 21st, 2019, 12:36 PM
Hate to say it, but Montana at #7 without Sneed might be a little bit of a stretch. We’ve got a pretty huge “prove it” game this weekend.
Monmouth and UC Davis wins are starting to look better IMO. Helps the Griz to have a pretty high "floor" in the rankings. I sure wouldn't put them below Kennesaw which I'm guessing a whole bunch of voters in the STATS and Coaches polls did.

Professor Chaos
October 21st, 2019, 12:37 PM

2 non D1 wins
D1 wins over
3-3 Alabama State
1-5 Missouri State
2-5 Charleston Southern
0-7 Presby

.....AGS.....TO KIND.........TA........GRIZZWALD'S....OWN-LAH DROPPIN' TWO SPACES.......WHOM LOST BAH 4 TD'S......DROPPIN' TWO IS USUALLAH...RESERVED FO' LOSIN' BAH UH SCORE O' LESS.......LAST WEEK.....IT WAS NORFFERN IOWA........C'MON BOYS.......NEED MO' PUNISHMENT...........BRAWK!!
So we've established that Kennesaw, Illinois St, Montana, and Northern Iowa should all be lower than they are. Who should be in those #7-10 spots????

Daytripper
October 21st, 2019, 12:41 PM
So we've established that Kennesaw, Illinois St, Montana, and Northern Iowa should all be lower than they are. Who should be in those #7-10 spots????

Four Southland teams...:Dxdrunkyx

McCowboys
October 21st, 2019, 12:44 PM

UCA is also rated higher than Nicholls who curb stomped the Bears not that long ago.

uofmman1122
October 21st, 2019, 12:44 PM
Monmouth and UC Davis wins are starting to look better IMO. Helps the Griz to have a pretty high "floor" in the rankings. I sure wouldn't put them below Kennesaw which I'm guessing a whole bunch of voters in the STATS and Coaches polls did.
That’s a good point. I guess I’ve been conditioned over the last few seasons to just expect an implosion after things start to turn for this team, so my PTSD might be kicking in and making me pessimistic. lol

JSUSoutherner
October 21st, 2019, 12:48 PM
If you are voting for JSU...

Stop.

Professor Chaos
October 21st, 2019, 12:50 PM
UCA is also rated higher than Nicholls who curb stomped the Bears not that long ago.
Yeah, I mentioned that in the "How they fared" thread that putting those two teams in relation to each other almost has no right answer. I justified it as if you looked at those two teams blindly UCA has a better resume with wins over Austin Peay (who I think is much better than the consensus does), Western Kentucky, ACU, and McNeese than Nicholls does with their win over UCA as basically their only quality win.

MR. CHICKEN
October 21st, 2019, 12:50 PM

........GRIZZWALD'S.....SHOODAH LEAST BEEN FLIPPED INTA SAC'S........FORMER POSITION.....BARE MINIMUM.......STATS/COACHS.....SEEM TA AGREE........BRAWK!

Professor Chaos
October 21st, 2019, 12:51 PM
........GRIZZWALD'S.....SHOODAH LEAST BEEN FLIPPED INTA SAC'S........FORMER POSITION.....BARE MINIMUM.......STATS/COACHS.....SEEM TA AGREE........BRAWK!
If you're saying this to justify your position you really need to re-evaluate your position.

JSUSoutherner
October 21st, 2019, 12:52 PM
Stats and coaches also think JSU is rankable.

ngineer
October 21st, 2019, 12:55 PM
Agree that they have a soft schedule, but they are beating who is in front of them and whether we like it or not, they have a recent track record that probably holds weight with voters.

Yes, I think Kennesaw's success last year in the playoffs has a residual aspect that helps burnish their reputation, which is what happens to a lot of teams once they have some sustained winning.

MR. CHICKEN
October 21st, 2019, 12:56 PM

..........AS IT SHOOD BE.......BEARS TOOK CARE UH BIDNESS......NICHOLLS.......DID NOT........AT SOME POINT TEAMS WILL......PASS...THE TEAMS WHO BEAT THEM....IFIN' DEY CAIN'T CONTINYAH....TA WIN...AWQ!

McCowboys
October 21st, 2019, 12:58 PM
Yeah, I mentioned that in the "How they fared" thread that putting those two teams in relation to each other almost has no right answer. I justified it as if you looked at those two teams blindly UCA has a better resume with wins over Austin Peay (who I think is much better than the consensus does), Western Kentucky, ACU, and McNeese than Nicholls does with their win over UCA as basically their only quality win.

I won't argue that. Also, for me, it's getting to the point of "what have you done for me lately?" So much has happened in the way of injuries or teams coming together or teams giving up since games from the first couple of weeks of the season. Some teams like Sac State just weren't on many people's (including mine) radar. Some teams are just now getting it all together and are hot.

MR. CHICKEN
October 21st, 2019, 12:59 PM
If you're saying this to justify your position you really need to re-evaluate your position.

......GETTIN' BEAT......BAH.....27...JUSTIFIES....NUFFIN' MO' AH CAN SAY.....'CEPT......BRAWK!

McCowboys
October 21st, 2019, 12:59 PM
..........AS IT SHOOD BE.......BEARS TOOK CARE UH BIDNESS......NICHOLLS.......DID NOT........AT SOME POINT TEAMS WILL......PASS...THE TEAMS WHO BEAT THEM....IFIN' DEY CAIN'T CONTINYAH....TA WIN...AWQ!

Yes, I somewhat agree. Check my post under yours, Mr. Chicken!

(P.S. I'm a Mr. Chicken fan!)

Redbird 4th & short
October 21st, 2019, 01:01 PM
single data points = little credibility = any given saturday .... BWAAAAQQ !!!

MR. CHICKEN
October 21st, 2019, 01:02 PM
Yes, I somewhat agree. Check my post under yours, Mr. Chicken!

(P.S. I'm a Mr. Chicken fan!)

.....REFRESHIN'......UH REASONABLE POSTER.......REPPIES......IN DUH MAIL......BAWK!!!

Professor
October 21st, 2019, 01:02 PM
About where I had them (waiting on my confirm email to post). Can really see there is a consensus top 6 and then the ledge of everyone else. NC A&T & Florida A&M I think is more crazy as NC A&T's only real W is Elon which is 3-4... SHSU/ Nicholls you can point to more data but the H2H of the MEAC should carry alot more weight

A&T gets the same historical points that other schools get... See Jax State as an example

JSUSoutherner
October 21st, 2019, 01:03 PM
As to the Kennesaw debate.

I've seen them in multiple games this year. Will be seeing them in person soon.

From what I've seen they are the same Kennesaw they've been the last two years and those teams were nothing to sneeze at. I have Kennesaw at 8 and am perfectly okay with it.

Like PC said, even if their scheduling is weak, who are you really putting above them?

ursus arctos horribilis
October 21st, 2019, 01:03 PM

oof, I rarely see the chicken string along a silly premise to begin with and then back it up with that but here we are.

I don't know if the Griz are any good really or they should be lower but they have a single FCS loss to a now Top 5 team so you know...

It was an ass kicking though, he got that right.

JSUSoutherner
October 21st, 2019, 01:04 PM
A&T gets the same historical points that other schools get... See Jax State as an example

I don't know that any school gets the historical points that we seem to get.

clenz
October 21st, 2019, 01:06 PM
Yes, I think Kennesaw's success last year in the playoffs has a residual aspect that helps burnish their reputation, which is what happens to a lot of teams once they have some sustained winning.
You mean last year when they went 1-1 in the playoffs and lost at home by double digits after edging a 3 point win over Wofford?

The same round they lost in the year before - while having less wins than they year before?

Kennesaw is exactly the same as every other Big South team - sans like 1 or 2 of those CCU teams. Beat the hell out of a really bad conference, maybe get a favorable match up due to geography against another below average FCS team in game 1 and win. Then lose game 2.

I watch a 9-2 Monmouth team come to Cedar Falls to play a UNI team that many thought shouldn't be in the playoffs. Get treated like a 14 year old boys penis left alone for the weekend with free run on the internet. The beating only stopped because it started to hurt.

They have played 2 NON D1 TEAMS. Not even D2 teams. TWO NAIA TEAMS and a bottom 20 SOS in all of the FCS on top of that.

If winning games and being 6-1 is all that matters ****ing put FAMU and CCSU in the top 10.

Professor Chaos
October 21st, 2019, 01:07 PM
I think a decent amount of ballots came in before the NC A&T/FAMU game had started or while it was ongoing. I'd assume those voters treated those teams like they were on a bye in this week's ballot and will account for yesterday's game in next week's ballot. I'd also assume that if everyone waited until after that game to vote FAMU would be in the top 25 this week and NC A&T would be a good 4 spots lower if not out of the top 25 so tough to put much weight in the consensus on those two with some voters having more info than others when their ballots were cast.

JSUSoutherner
October 21st, 2019, 01:10 PM
You mean last year when they went 1-1 in the playoffs and lost at home by double digits after edging a 3 point win over Wofford?

The same round they lost in the year before - while having less wins than they year before?

Kennesaw is exactly the same as every other Big South team - sans like 1 or 2 of those CCU teams. Beat the hell out of a really bad conference, maybe get a favorable match up due to geography against another below average FCS team in game 1 and win. Then lose game 2.

I watch a 9-2 Monmouth team come to Cedar Falls to play a UNI team that many thought shouldn't be in the playoffs. Get treated like a 14 year old boys penis left alone for the weekend with free run on the internet. The beating only stopped because it started to hurt.

They have played 2 NON D1 TEAMS. Not even D2 teams. TWO NAIA TEAMS and a bottom 20 SOS in all of the FCS on top of that.

If winning games and being 6-1 is all that matters ****ing put FAMU and CCSU in the top 10.
If you think Kennesaw is the same as Monmouth you're a bigger doof than the people voting for JSU.

They beat SDSU if Burks doesn't go down early. Or at the very least its a 3 point game.

MSUBobcat
October 21st, 2019, 01:13 PM

Welp..... that was graphic. xlolxxlolx

Daytripper
October 21st, 2019, 01:16 PM
Welp..... that was (unnecessarily) graphic. xlolxxlolx

FIFY

BEAR
October 21st, 2019, 01:16 PM
SOS according to Massey Ratings:

1. NDSU- 27
2. JMU- 21
3. SDSU- 20
4. Weber St. - 12
5. Sac State- 2
6. Villanova- 44
7. Montana- 3
8. Kennesaw St. - 105
9. UNI- 1
10. Illinois State- 30
11. Montana State- 26
12. UCA- 25
13. Furman- 38
14. Princeton- 108
15. Nicholls- 23
16. Dartmouth- 99
17. Towson- 34
18. Cent. Conn. State- 98
19. NC A&T-63
20. Tenn-Mart- 48
21. Stony Brook- 36
22. SHSU- 62
23. UC Davis- 6
24. Wofford- 100
25. Southeast Missouri- 37

clenz
October 21st, 2019, 01:25 PM
So with an identical record and a tough SOS why isn't CCSU also in the top 10? They have a strong SoS.

I'd bet UNI is a minimum 6-1 with KSU's schedule. Average score of 70-3

JSUSoutherner
October 21st, 2019, 01:30 PM
So with an identical record and a tough SOS why isn't CCSU also in the top 10? They have a strong SoS.

I'd bet UNI is a minimum 6-1 with KSU's schedule. Average score of 70-3
Why isn't UNI unranked? JSU could lose to Iowa State, NDSU, and Weber just as good as UNI could?

You argument is that dumb.

Have you seen a single snap of KSU football this season?

That should be a 'yes' or 'no' answer.

clenz
October 21st, 2019, 01:31 PM
Why isn't UNI unranked? JSU could lose to Iowa State, NDSU, and Weber just as good as UNI could?

You're argument is that dumb.

Have you seen a single snap of KSU football this season?

That should be a 'yes' or 'no' answer.
I have seen more than 1.

JSUSoutherner
October 21st, 2019, 01:32 PM
I have seen more than 1.
And what specifically did you see that was so bad?

KSUFAN
October 21st, 2019, 01:37 PM

The Monmouth team that got treated like 14 yr old boys by UNI got smacked the week before by the sorry Big South Kennesaw team. The sorry Kennesaw team went on to beat the Samford and JSU in the playoffs. Lose by a score to SHSU. I agree Big South is not a very good conference but Kennesaw State is a good team. Are they top 10 who knows? I don't see a bunch of KSU fans on this site voting them in top 10. In fact I don't think any KSU fans vote in any of these polls. Evidently a lot of people think their short history speaks for itself. BTW Last year's SDSU game was 3 point game with 2:22 left.

clenz
October 21st, 2019, 01:38 PM
And what specifically did you see that was so bad?
I watched them struggle to be better than Missouri State for the vast majority of that game.

They won - cool
They broke 3 big plays that gave them the win - cool

I'm too busy at work today to truly break it down, but I expected a whole **** of a lot more than what I saw

POD Knows
October 21st, 2019, 01:44 PM
Here is mine, I tanked Nicholls pretty hard, I was never really sold on them. Poll was tough this week,

Hello POD Knows,

We have received your AGS Top 25 vote on 10/20/2019 17:02:49

3: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
5: Sac State Hornets
8: Kennesaw State Owls
9: Montana State Bobcats
10: Northern Iowa Panthers
11: Illinois State Redbirds
12: Central Arkansas Bears
13: Furman Paladins
14: Princeton Tigers
15: North Carolina A&T Aggies
16: Dartmouth Big Green
17: Wofford Terriers
18: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
19: Central Connecticut State Blue Devils
20: Towson Tigers
21: Stony Brook Seawolves
22: Southeast Missouri State Redhawks
23: Sam Houston State Bearkats
24: Nicholls State Colonels
25: Incarnate Word Cardinals

POD Knows

The Most Significant Loss: Nicholls State Colonels
Which Conference Does Your Team Play in?: Missouri Valley Football Conference

JSUSoutherner
October 21st, 2019, 01:47 PM
I watched them struggle to be better than Missouri State for the vast majority of that game.

They won - cool
They broke 3 big plays that gave them the win - cool

I'm too busy at work today to truly break it down, but I expected a whole **** of a lot more than what I saw
So you're basing a team off one game? A game they racked up 550 yards of offense in, held the other team to ~2 YPC, and won? Considering you are a UNI fan I figured you of all people would understand having an off day. Farley seems to have plenty of them. At least Kennesaw wins.

POD Knows
October 21st, 2019, 01:58 PM
So you're basing a team off one game? A game they racked up 550 yards of offense in, held the other team to ~2 YPC, and won? Considering you are a UNI fan I figured you of all people would understand having an off day. Farley seems to have plenty of them. At least Kennesaw wins.NDSU scored one TD in second half against MSU with our first string in the entire time. Teams have off days or at least I hope that is what NDSU had. Kennesaw has held their own once they get to the playoffs.

Catbooster
October 21st, 2019, 02:14 PM
I wasn't too surprised by this (even though I agree with you). After #6 I wanted to put "To Be Determined" in the next half-dozen spots. I wasn't happy with what teams I had to pick from.

I had hoped to see a smaller gap between MSU and UM. I moved MSU right above UM. We lost to Sac by half as many points and better stats. Of course, we had the advantage of playing at home.

ksu_owls
October 21st, 2019, 02:15 PM
KSU is a good team in a bad conference. My reason for claiming them to be somewhere between 10-15 is the inconsistency that I’ve seen this year. We have quarters of brilliance and quarters where I’m confused. While I believe top 10 is generous, it makes sense for voters who do not watch as much KSU to place them there. The 2018 team would have beat Kent State and probably had a more impressive win over MoSt (although NDSU kind of made MoSt’s defense look good lol).

Sycamore62
October 21st, 2019, 02:16 PM
FIFY

Welp..... that was graphic. xlolxxlolx

Beat me to it...

wait I didnt mean it that way

ursus arctos horribilis
October 21st, 2019, 02:22 PM
I think a decent amount of ballots came in before the NC A&T/FAMU game had started or while it was ongoing. I'd assume those voters treated those teams like they were on a bye in this week's ballot and will account for yesterday's game in next week's ballot. I'd also assume that if everyone waited until after that game to vote FAMU would be in the top 25 this week and NC A&T would be a good 4 spots lower if not out of the top 25 so tough to put much weight in the consensus on those two with some voters having more info than others when their ballots were cast.

Only about 12 ballots were in early and those people did treat it as a bye as I had requested but one of those was redone after the game ended for a different reason and we made the adjustments to account for that game since we were repairing other issues anyway.

Most of the remaining 11 were probably somewhere around 15 and a one or two did not have them in it at all the previous week so they were left off anyway and it did not affect their ballot(s).

So there are 9 or 10 ballots that will reflect the Sunday game and what happens for those two teams next week.

JSUSoutherner
October 21st, 2019, 02:24 PM
NDSU scored one TD in second half against MSU with our first string in the entire time. Teams have off days or at least I hope that is what NDSU had. Kennesaw has held their own once they get to the playoffs.
Yup. Their losses have been a close one to Sam and they kept with SDSU even without Burks both in the quarterfinals.

It's not like they are getting blown out in the second round every year. xcoffeex

KPSUL
October 21st, 2019, 02:28 PM

Some thoughts

All good points, no wonder why they call you a Professor. I also think too many of our voters failed to wait until the end of the NC A&T @ FAMU game before voting. I could accept an argument for neither team being ranked, but NC A&T at 19 and FAMU unranked? Not reasonable.

KPSUL
October 21st, 2019, 02:30 PM
The Monmouth team that got treated like 14 yr old boys by UNI got smacked the week before by the sorry Big South Kennesaw team. The sorry Kennesaw team went on to beat the Samford and JSU in the playoffs. Lose by a score to SHSU. I agree Big South is not a very good conference but Kennesaw State is a good team. Are they top 10 who knows? I don't see a bunch of KSU fans on this site voting them in top 10. In fact I don't think any KSU fans vote in any of these polls. Evidently a lot of people think their short history speaks for itself. BTW Last year's SDSU game was 3 point game with 2:22 left.

It's now 2019, not 2018. There are D 2 teams in the transition phase to FCS playing tougher schedules than KSU. Based on SOS, I've got them at a ceiling of #9, outside the seeded level. Now I'm not saying they aren't better than that, they may be, but the schedule they are playing cannot establish that. You've got a paved superhighway to the playoffs - enjoy it.

KSUFAN
October 21st, 2019, 02:38 PM
It's now 2019, not 2018. Their are D 2 teams in the transition phase playing tougher schedules than KSU.

I agree KPSUL the schedule sucks. Point and Rhinehardt wasn't originally scheduled this year. Furman and Dusquesne backed out late and they were the only two teams that would play at KSU. They had to be played at home due to the season tickets that were sold.

clenz
October 21st, 2019, 02:38 PM
It's now 2019, not 2018. Their are D 2 teams in the transition phase playing tougher schedules than KSU.
On that note

Remember when people were adamant that UNA needed to be poll elligible this year because they were going to be top 25 caliber and it would be a mockery of the AGS poll when everyone else was ranking them and we weren't?

ksu_owls
October 21st, 2019, 02:40 PM
Emil Faber would be disappointed with your pronoun use. I hope we work on strengthening our schedule. I do know both Point and Reinhart (sp?) were late additions for scheduled games falling through. One was a Furman game that was rescheduled for 2023 maybe? But everyone, I mean EVERYONE, is aware that our schedule is weak. I don’t think it’s being argued. What is being pointed out is that even with a soft schedule for now our 5th season we have been one of the last 8 teams left in the field for both 2017 and 2018. You’re correct, it is now 2019. I predict we win the big south and one playoff game. I’d love to make it to the quarters, but until I see some consistency I don’t know if we have what it takes (unless geography is kind to us with seeding).

KPSUL
October 21st, 2019, 02:45 PM
Emil Faber would be disappointed with your pronoun use. I hope we work on strengthening our schedule. I do know both Point and Reinhart (sp?) were late additions for scheduled games falling through. One was a Furman game that was rescheduled for 2023 maybe? But everyone, I mean EVERYONE, is aware that our schedule is weak. I don’t think it’s being argued. What is being pointed out is that even with a soft schedule for now our 5th season we have been one of the last 8 teams left in the field for both 2017 and 2018. You’re correct, it is now 2019. I predict we win the big south and one playoff game. I’d love to make it to the quarters, but until I see some consistency I don’t know if we have what it takes (unless geography is kind to us with seeding).

Thanks, I'll run it by Professor Chaos next time. You're expecting to much from a state university grad who's favorite movie is the one that introduced Emil Faber.

ksu_owls
October 21st, 2019, 02:48 PM
Thanks, I'll run it by Professor Chaos next time. You're expecting to much from a state university grad who's favorite movie is the one that introduced Emil Faber.
Lol I make enough typos for the both of us! I only nitpick when a grammatical error is used against KSU

Bisonator
October 21st, 2019, 02:53 PM
The FCS is making it very hard for me to not put Ivies in my poll. Any more **** fests like this week and I'm gonna be damn tempted to stick Ivies in there in protest. It's hard to fill in the last 20 spots when everybody has similar records and one team loses to another team that beat the team that beat them and yada yada yada. This keeps up we might have to go to the FBS model and just have a 4 team playoff!

clenz
October 21st, 2019, 02:57 PM
The FCS is making it very hard for me to not put Ivies in my poll. Any more **** fests like this week and I'm gonna be damn tempted to stick Ivies in there in protest. It's hard to fill in the last 20 spots when everybody has similar records and one team loses to another team that beat the team that beat them and yada yada yada. This keeps up we might have to go to the FBS model and just have a 4 team playoff!
I long was anti-Ivy, SWAC and even MEAC

I based it off of their inability to participate or win in the playoffs (in the case of the MEAC)

At this point, I'm not convinced that the Ivy schools (specifically) couldn't make a claim to it. It sucks we will never know regular or post season, but if we are going to rank NEC teams #19 I have zero doubts any of the 3 main Ivy teams getting votes wouldn't beat them. Same with FAMU or any of the teams after 17

McCowboys
October 21st, 2019, 03:02 PM
Is it true that Florida A&M Rattlers are ineligible for postseason/playoffs this season?

katss07
October 21st, 2019, 03:10 PM
Is it true that Florida A&M Rattlers are ineligible for postseason/playoffs this season?
Yes, two year postseason ban I believe.

Preferred Walk-On
October 21st, 2019, 03:13 PM
Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. Here are a few thoughts on the AGS poll (and mine as well):

- A bit surprised to see Kennesaw in the top 8, but not shocked.

- The ordering of Central Arkansas>Nicholls State>Sam Houston State, and the number of ranks between them, were a bit surprising to me. I suppose it was whether you weighted H2H or perceived body of work; however, I am not really sure their bodies of work are that much different at this point.

- Considered Incarnate Word at #25 in my poll, but decided to give Southeastern Louisiana the benefit of the doubt, being as they were on their BYE week.

- Dropped Stony Brook from my poll (they were #25) even though they were on their BYE week, because the New Hampshire loss now looks a bit worse (and perhaps I was giving too much credit for close loss at home to James Madison).

- A bit surprised about Furman's drop to #13 in the AGS poll, as they did lose to The Citadel (ORV, and some AGS voters high on at some points this season). I feel like this game might have just been an outlier (one bad performance); however, this could be the start of a precipitous fall as well. Just wasn't ready to penalize them with the equity they had built thus far.

- The ordering of North Carolina A&T and Florida A&M (ORV) was surprising, but if 10% of voters did not consider this game, then this is understandable. That said, I might have put the Rattlers a bit higher than they should be.

- Did not rank UC Davis, even though they moved up two spots in the AGS poll after beating 1-7 Southern Utah by one score.

- I know the OVC has a perception about it, but I think Tennessee-Martin and Southeast Missouri State have been a bit undervalued this year. Will the loser be out of the top 25 next week?

- Lastly, I think that using Massey SOS for decisions can be useful, but let's please realize that the SOS is currently almost exclusively a Big Sky echo chamber, so perhaps SOS for other teams should be treated with just a bit of caution. The Big Sky is very good this year, but 11 of the top 13 toughest SOS?

- Oh, and one more thing, thank you to all that comment on this (and other weekly poll) thread(s), and also to those who post their polls. I think the criticism (constructive and otherwise) has made me a better voter (although from this poll, one might not think so). xbeerchugx

-----

Hello Preferred Walk-On,

We have received your AGS Top 25 vote on 10/20/2019 15:45:00

Your vote is listed below (previous week's rank in parentheses).

1: North Dakota State Bison (1)
2: James Madison Dukes (2)
3: South Dakota State Jackrabbits (3)
4: Sac State Hornets (5)
5: Weber State Wildcats (4)
6: Montana State Bobcats (10)
7: Montana Grizzlies (6)
8: Northern Iowa Panthers (11)
9: Villanova Wildcats (9)
10: Furman Paladins (7)
11: Kennesaw State Owls (13)
12: Dartmouth Big Green (15)
13: Illinois State Redbirds (16)
14: Southeast Missouri State Redhawks (18)
15: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks (23)
16: Florida A&M Rattlers (NR)
17: Sam Houston State Bearkats (NR)
18: North Carolina A&T Aggies (12)
19: Princeton Tigers (20)
20: Nicholls State Colonels (8)
21: Central Arkansas Bears (14)
22: Towson Tigers (21)
23: Wofford Terriers (NR)
24: Central Connecticut State Blue Devils (NR)
25: Southeastern Louisiana Lions (24)

The most significant win: Sac State Hornets
The most significant loss: Nicholls State Colonels
Which conference does your team play in?: Missouri Valley Football Conference

Dropped from poll: Austin Peay Governors (17), Youngstown State Penguins (19), New Hampshire Wildcats (22), Stony Brook Seawolves (25)

POD Knows
October 21st, 2019, 03:20 PM
Honest to freaking God I thought the NCAT/FAMU games was postponed, I know they postponed it till Sunday but that score never did hit the ESPN site which is where I track my scores. **** you and the horse you rode in on ESPN. This would have absolutely changed my poll. They pic is what is still showing on the ESPN site

https://i.imgur.com/tWz1Q5F.jpg

ursus arctos horribilis
October 21st, 2019, 03:22 PM
Honest to freaking God I thought the NCAT/FAMU games was postponed, I know they postponed it till Sunday but that score never did hit the ESPN site which is where I track my scores. **** you and the horse you rode in on ESPN. This would have absolutely changed my poll. They pic is what is still showing on the ESPN site

Brother, we have a live running score thread each and every week. It's generally called "This week's" score thread.

Bisonator
October 21st, 2019, 03:26 PM
Brother, we have a live running score thread each and every week. It's generally called "This week's" score thread.
Why do we make this **** so easy? xlolx

POD Knows
October 21st, 2019, 03:27 PM
Brother, we have a live running score thread each and every week. It's generally called "This week's" score thread.I use the ESPN phone app for this **** if I have too. First time that I recall a game drifting into Sunday afternoon, oh well, you would think that God's gift to sports, ESPN, would have updated their ****.

MSUBobcat
October 21st, 2019, 03:28 PM

*too
*whose xcoffeex xlolx

clenz
October 21st, 2019, 03:32 PM
I use the ESPN phone app for this **** if I have too. First time that I recall a game drifting into Sunday afternoon, oh well, you would think that God's gift to sports, ESPN, would have updated their ****.
ESPN doesn't give a **** about the FCS
They actually took away FCS scores, stats, and team pages for like 2 years not long ago and just in the last season or two added them back.

Also - If I didn't follow twitter the way I do I might have missed the score as well. I also moved my voting to Monday morning (doesn't work for almost anyone) to allow for all scores and stats to be updated - as well as opinions posted to social media and AGS I can browse

MR. CHICKEN
October 21st, 2019, 03:33 PM

.........AN' DUH POLL CHALLENGED CHICKEN......UPDATED EVERAH SCORE CHANGE......FO' FAMU/NC A&T..........AWK!

Week 8 Score Thread 2019 (https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?237130-Week-8-Score-Thread-2019)

caribbeanhen
October 21st, 2019, 03:42 PM
I use the ESPN phone app for this **** if I have too. First time that I recall a game drifting into Sunday afternoon, oh well, you would think that God's gift to sports, ESPN, would have updated their ****.

Use those millennial aps at the risk of sounding like one

mvemjsunpx
October 21st, 2019, 03:44 PM
(previous week in parentheses)

1. North Dakota St. (1)
2. South Dakota St. (2)
3. James Madison (3)
4. Sacramento St. (4)
5. Weber St. (5)
6. Kennesaw St. (6)
7. Villanova (8)
8. Dartmouth (10)
9. Northern Iowa (11)
10. Montana St. (12)
11. Illinois St. (17)
12. Princeton (16)
13. Montana (7)
14. Central Arkansas (14)
15. Tennessee-Martin (22)
16. Furman (9)
17. Albany (23)
18. Towson (24)
19. Delaware (NR)
20. New Hampshire (18)
21. Stony Brook (20)
22. CCSU (NR)
23. Nicholls St. (13)
24. Florida A&M (NR)
25. North Carolina A&T (15)

W - Delaware
L - Youngstown St.

Dropped - Youngstown St. (19), Austin Peay (21), Jacksonville St. (25)

that guy
October 21st, 2019, 03:50 PM
Four Southland teams...:Dxdrunkyx
It doesn't look like any southland teams want to even win their own conf. much less be ranked in the top 10xconfusedx

BEAR
October 21st, 2019, 03:53 PM
It doesn't look like any southland teams want to even win their own conf. much less be ranked in the top 10xconfusedx

Well you got one in the other two polls. Been pretty steady around 10 - 15 all year. A win this weekend and they will BEAR the burden of winning out to win the autobid. xlolx This conference eats itself.

MR. CHICKEN
October 21st, 2019, 03:54 PM

......DELAWARE/DELAWARE STATE..........PLAYED ON UH SUNDAY......AH THINK.......WAS UH THURSDAY NIGHT SEASON OPENER...(LABOR DAY WEEKEND)......WAS THUNDERSTORMED OUT......FEW YEARS AGO.....AWK!

Daytripper
October 21st, 2019, 04:34 PM

This has been the most unpredictable Southland season I have ever seen. Literally anybody might beat anybody Any Given Saturday.

https://media.giphy.com/media/xhN4C2vEuapCo/giphy.gif

SpreadTheWord
October 21st, 2019, 04:41 PM
Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. Here are a few thoughts on the AGS poll (and mine as well):

- A bit surprised to see Kennesaw in the top 8, but not shocked.

- The ordering of Central Arkansas>Nicholls State>Sam Houston State, and the number of ranks between them, were a bit surprising to me. I suppose it was whether you weighted H2H or perceived body of work; however, I am not really sure their bodies of work are that much different at this point.

- Considered Incarnate Word at #25 in my poll, but decided to give Southeastern Louisiana the benefit of the doubt, being as they were on their BYE week.

- Dropped Stony Brook from my poll (they were #25) even though they were on their BYE week, because the New Hampshire loss now looks a bit worse (and perhaps I was giving too much credit for close loss at home to James Madison).

- A bit surprised about Furman's drop to #13 in the AGS poll, as they did lose to The Citadel (ORV, and some AGS voters high on at some points this season). I feel like this game might have just been an outlier (one bad performance); however, this could be the start of a precipitous fall as well. Just wasn't ready to penalize them with the equity they had built thus far.

- The ordering of North Carolina A&T and Florida A&M (ORV) was surprising, but if 10% of voters did not consider this game, then this is understandable. That said, I might have put the Rattlers a bit higher than they should be.

- Did not rank UC Davis, even though they moved up two spots in the AGS poll after beating 1-7 Southern Utah by one score.

- I know the OVC has a perception about it, but I think Tennessee-Martin and Southeast Missouri State have been a bit undervalued this year. Will the loser be out of the top 25 next week?

- Lastly, I think that using Massey SOS for decisions can be useful, but let's please realize that the SOS is currently almost exclusively a Big Sky echo chamber, so perhaps SOS for other teams should be treated with just a bit of caution. The Big Sky is very good this year, but 11 of the top 13 toughest SOS?

- Oh, and one more thing, thank you to all that comment on this (and other weekly poll) thread(s), and also to those who post their polls. I think the criticism (constructive and otherwise) has made me a better voter (although from this poll, one might not think so). xbeerchugx

-----

Hello Preferred Walk-On,

We have received your AGS Top 25 vote on 10/20/2019 15:45:00

Your vote is listed below (previous week's rank in parentheses).

1: North Dakota State Bison (1)
2: James Madison Dukes (2)
3: South Dakota State Jackrabbits (3)
4: Sac State Hornets (5)
5: Weber State Wildcats (4)
6: Montana State Bobcats (10)
7: Montana Grizzlies (6)
8: Northern Iowa Panthers (11)
9: Villanova Wildcats (9)
10: Furman Paladins (7)
11: Kennesaw State Owls (13)
12: Dartmouth Big Green (15)
13: Illinois State Redbirds (16)
14: Southeast Missouri State Redhawks (18)
15: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks (23)
16: Florida A&M Rattlers (NR)
17: Sam Houston State Bearkats (NR)
18: North Carolina A&T Aggies (12)
19: Princeton Tigers (20)
20: Nicholls State Colonels (8)
21: Central Arkansas Bears (14)
22: Towson Tigers (21)
23: Wofford Terriers (NR)
24: Central Connecticut State Blue Devils (NR)
25: Southeastern Louisiana Lions (24)

The most significant win: Sac State Hornets
The most significant loss: Nicholls State Colonels
Which conference does your team play in?: Missouri Valley Football Conference

Dropped from poll: Austin Peay Governors (17), Youngstown State Penguins (19), New Hampshire Wildcats (22), Stony Brook Seawolves (25)

But...Incarnate Word beat Southeastern Louisiana on their own field 27-21 two weeks ago...

BurialGround
October 21st, 2019, 04:41 PM
As to the Kennesaw debate.

I've seen them in multiple games this year. Will be seeing them in person soon.

From what I've seen they are the same Kennesaw they've been the last two years and those teams were nothing to sneeze at. I have Kennesaw at 8 and am perfectly okay with it.

Like PC said, even if their scheduling is weak, who are you really putting above them?

I don't agree that we're the same team as the last two years, but we're a solid team. The offense just lost too much.

The OL lost everyone from last year. It's a decent OL regardless, but it's the weakest since at least our second year playing ball.

Lost our WRs too. We have nobody who can keep the defense honest like Justin Sumpter could last year.

QB is decent, but not nearly as efficient as Burks was. HOWEVER, it's looking like he might lose his starting job, as the backup is getting more and more playing time, and looking really good. He doesn't have as big an arm (bigger than Burks though), but he's electric. This could be a game-changer for us going forward.

Lost our biggest playmaker in I. Foster this weekend, likely for the season. We've got good athletes, but this hurts.

On paper, this should be our best defense ever. But... not convinced about this new coaching staff on D. We've looked completely clueless about half the time against the pass, despite returning tons of talent in the secondary. We're also very beat-up on D. Actually, we're beat-up pretty good across the board. Was hoping the Presby game would at least give us a chance to heal up, and then Foster went down.

JMUNJ08
October 21st, 2019, 04:48 PM
Alright, so the lone JMU voter was not me as it was a few weeks back. NC A&T as the most significant loss was without me knowing Florida A&M was ineligible for post season. Loss really does nothing to A&T as they just need to win out and beat BCU to Celebrate again...

5: Villanova Wildcats
6: Sac State Hornets
7: Northern Iowa Panthers
8: Illinois State Redbirds
11: Central Arkansas Bears
14: Nicholls State Colonels
16: Princeton Tigers
17: Central Connecticut State Blue Devils
19: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
20: Florida A&M Rattlers
21: North Carolina A&T Aggies
22: Sam Houston State Bearkats
23: Austin Peay Governors
24: Incarnate Word Cardinals
25: Campbell Fighting Camels

JMUNJ08

The Most Significant Loss: North Carolina A&T Aggies

ursus arctos horribilis
October 21st, 2019, 04:55 PM

Well, I'm not a good example as I don't use them for anything really except plus once in a while but you post here and peruse so with that information very easily being available I'm just saying you don't have a good excuse because it was at your fingertips and I assume also updated on the sheet we use here provided by supey.

Yesterday at:
October 20th, 2019, 04:53 PM

You made a post. Meanwhile at the top of the "new posts" threads for this time period we had a post like this going on...

October 20th, 2019, 03:34 PM (1hr 19 min. previous to your post)

NC A&T 31
FAMU 34 OT FINAL

.....FILL 'EM OUT LADS!...........BRAWK!

a short discussion followed...

https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?237130-Week-8-Score-Thread-2019&p=2816038&viewfull=1#post2816038

You submitted your ballot nearly 2 hrs. after the MR. CHICKEN post so I'm just sayin'...if you are going to put yourself out as the gold standard of AGS voting you might need to scratch around a thread titled with exactly the information that would help you. xlolx

McCowboys
October 21st, 2019, 04:59 PM

For that reason, I will not vote for them.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 21st, 2019, 04:59 PM
.........AN' DUH POLL CHALLENGED CHICKEN......UPDATED EVERAH SCORE CHANGE......FO' FAMU/NC A&T..........AWK!

Week 8 Score Thread 2019 (https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?237130-Week-8-Score-Thread-2019)

I used your final post as an example in my POD take down.

ksu_owls
October 21st, 2019, 05:09 PM
I don't agree that we're the same team as the last two years, but we're a solid team. The offense just lost too much.

The OL lost everyone from last year. It's a decent OL regardless, but it's the weakest since at least our second year playing ball.

Lost our WRs too. We have nobody who can keep the defense honest like Justin Sumpter could last year.

QB is decent, but not nearly as efficient as Burks was. HOWEVER, it's looking like he might lose his starting job, as the backup is getting more and more playing time, and looking really good. He doesn't have as big an arm (bigger than Burks though), but he's electric. This could be a game-changer for us going forward.

Lost our biggest playmaker in I. Foster this weekend, likely for the season. We've got good athletes, but this hurts.

On paper, this should be our best defense ever. But... not convinced about this new coaching staff on D. We've looked completely clueless about half the time against the pass, despite returning tons of talent in the secondary. We're also very beat-up on D. Actually, we're beat-up pretty good across the board. Was hoping the Presby game would at least give us a chance to heal up, and then Foster went down.

Losing Foster is huge. That kid "makes fast people look not as fast". I appreciate the honest fans who see the difference between this year's team and our last two seasons. It's not a slam, we're good, we just need to use our weak conference schedule to build some consistency and hopefully be healthy and on the same page for the first round (I doubt we get a bye this year, for good reason).

Preferred Walk-On
October 21st, 2019, 05:28 PM
But...Incarnate Word beat Southeastern Louisiana on their own field 27-21 two weeks ago...

I feel you. Probably just having a hard time getting over the 39 pt loss UIW took to SHSU the week following their loss to UND (which I watched every minute of). Appreciate the comment, and thanks for picking on #25. :D

Haven't read ahead yet, but presume you have also knocked the order of the Southland teams, based on H2H.

Preferred Walk-On
October 21st, 2019, 05:29 PM

Was this a Freudian slip posting the Grizzlies-Hornets score in your screenshot. :D

Katfan
October 21st, 2019, 05:59 PM
I feel you. Probably just having a hard time getting over the 39 pt loss UIW took to SHSU the week following their loss to UND (which I watched every minute of). Appreciate the comment, and thanks for picking on #25. :D

Haven't read ahead yet, but presume you have also knocked the order of the Southland teams, based on H2H.
In their defense they played us the only game we had a starting qb and he had a hell of a game.

clenz
October 21st, 2019, 06:03 PM
For that reason, I will not vote for them.Ok. Defend why

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

POD Knows
October 21st, 2019, 06:04 PM
Was this a Freudian slip posting the Grizzlies-Hornets score in your screenshot. :DYea, I figured I would rub a little more salt in the wound. I got the "Bear" wound up as he has been smacking me around pretty good for ****ing up on the NCAT/FAMU game, maybe my inclusion of this beat down is part of the reason. :D

POD Knows
October 21st, 2019, 06:10 PM
Well, I'm not a good example as I don't use them for anything really except plus once in a while but you post here and peruse so with that information very easily being available I'm just saying you don't have a good excuse because it was at your fingertips and I assume also updated on the sheet we use here provided by supey.

Yesterday at:
October 20th, 2019, 04:53 PM

You made a post. Meanwhile at the top of the "new posts" threads for this time period we had a post like this going on...

October 20th, 2019, 03:34 PM (1hr 19 min. previous to your post)

a short discussion followed...

https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?237130-Week-8-Score-Thread-2019&p=2816038&viewfull=1#post2816038

You submitted your ballot nearly 2 hrs. after the MR. CHICKEN post so I'm just sayin'...if you are going to put yourself out as the gold standard of AGS voting you might need to scratch around a thread titled with exactly the information that would help you. xlolxDude I hear you but I am but two or three screen taps on the phone to get what I thought were updated scores. I would have probably slipped FAMU in the top 25 but their win over NCAT made this poll even harder, don't know if my brain could have dealt with any more turmoil.

Also, I lost my gold standard rating after my errors in the poll a couple weeks back, now I am just like the rest of rabble out there. xdrunkyx

uofmman1122
October 21st, 2019, 06:13 PM
Was this a Freudian slip posting the Grizzlies-Hornets score in your screenshot. :D
I had the same question. haha

POD Knows
October 21st, 2019, 06:18 PM
I had the same question. hahaActually, my original intention was to cut and paste the Furman game next to the NCAT/FAMU game but that was too much work so I just grabbed the one above it.

katss07
October 21st, 2019, 06:29 PM
Losing Foster is huge. That kid "makes fast people look not as fast". I appreciate the honest fans who see the difference between this year's team and our last two seasons. It's not a slam, we're good, we just need to use our weak conference schedule to build some consistency and hopefully be healthy and on the same page for the first round (I doubt we get a bye this year, for good reason).
I’m not so sure KSU doesn’t get a bye this season. I know the SOS is a major concern, and there is no Jacksonville State game to back up their legitimacy this year, but from what I’ve seen through the season they’ve looked like they always have: a dominant ground game and a forceful defense. Granted that was against Presbyterian and Bama State. But it got them ranked top 8 last season. The committee seems to love the Owls. Seeing them at 6 in the initial release of the Top 10 would not shock me at all.

Anyone know when those committee rankings come out?

F'N Hawks
October 21st, 2019, 06:52 PM
In their defense they played us the only game we had a starting qb and he had a hell of a game.

I feel like the narrative of how the UND game went down seems to be changing as the season goes on. Assuming that Schmid is your preferred QB, he played 70 of 86 plays vs UND (near as I can tell). He ran the ball 20 times and threw it 30.

SHSU had all hands on deck for that game.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 21st, 2019, 07:20 PM
4: Sac State Hornets
6: Weber State Wildcats
8: Dartmouth Big Green
9: Montana State Bobcats
10: Illinois State Redbirds
11: Northern Iowa Panthers
12: Montana Grizzlies
13: Nicholls State Colonels
15: Princeton Tigers
16: Central Arkansas Bears
18: Albany Great Danes
19: Towson Tigers
21: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
22: Wofford Terriers
23: North Carolina A&T Aggies
24: Alcorn State Braves
25: Sam Houston State Bearkats

Go Lehigh TU owl

The Most Significant Loss: Youngstown State Penguins
Which Conference Does Your Team Play in?: Patriot League

Katfan
October 21st, 2019, 07:29 PM
No not trying to change narrative or take anything away from your win. The point is we went into the UND game with 2 qbs. Until that point that had split reps and for 2 young qbs that wasn’t good. Neither was able to develop continuity. Brock was injured in that game and Schmid ended up taking the bulk of the snaps. the next game against UIW he had the benefit of all the reps in practice and a game plan that was developed exclusively for him. Result he put up 500+ yds offense and 5 td passes we score 45 points. Next game he breaks his hand early and we’ve been trying to piece together an offense since. UIW results outside of that game suggest the difference in our offensive output can not be totally explained by the quality of the 2 defenses.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 21st, 2019, 07:55 PM

2 non D1 wins
D1 wins over
3-3 Alabama State
1-5 Missouri State
2-5 Charleston Southern
0-7 Presby

A 4 seed might be a little generous. I look at them similar to Colgate last year. Both are very good teams stuck in crappy conferences. They're clobbering teams which is all you can do when playing a weak schedule. Colgate actually scheduled pretty tough last season but everyone ended up being in the dumps and the Furman game was cancelled.

KSU plays Monmouth and Campbell to finish out the year. Both of those teams are at least respectable to maybe even pretty good.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 21st, 2019, 07:57 PM
Yea, I figured I would rub a little more salt in the wound. I got the "Bear" wound up as he has been smacking me around pretty good for ****ing up on the NCAT/FAMU game, maybe my inclusion of this beat down is part of the reason. :Dthat's weird I never felt wound up at all I just thought it odd that you couldn't click on a score thread and wondered why since the information was readily available and I thought if you don't know that maybe it would be of great help in the case that it ever happened again.

I watch the game so I know that we took an ass kicking and seeing the score really doesn't make any difference at all but I respect your attempt at humor. I think but even when you feel you should keep trying Poddy.

I think next week we are going to do a POD cast segment where in Asia is poll voter defense their ballad. I'm being serious here would you like to be a guest on the POD cast and do the segment with us?

Anybody else on here want to go and do that please send me a PM because we'd really like to have some of the discussion style it goes on at AGS in these threads as part of the podcasts.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

KPSUL
October 21st, 2019, 08:43 PM
Alright, so the lone JMU voter was not me as it was a few weeks back. NC A&T as the most significant loss was without me knowing Florida A&M was ineligible for post season. Loss really does nothing to A&T as they just need to win out and beat BCU to Celebrate again...

8: Illinois State Redbirds
11: Central Arkansas Bears
14: Nicholls State Colonels
16: Princeton Tigers
19: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
21: North Carolina A&T Aggies
22: Sam Houston State Bearkats
24: Incarnate Word Cardinals
25: Campbell Fighting Camels

JMUNJ08

The Most Significant Loss: North Carolina A&T Aggies

Your #22 SHSU beat your #14 Nichols 17-0 Saturday and SHSU has a better Conference and overall W-L record.

POD Knows
October 21st, 2019, 08:52 PM
that's weird I never felt wound up at all I just thought it odd that you couldn't click on a score thread and wondered why since the information was readily available and I thought if you don't know that maybe it would be of great help in the case that it ever happened again.

I watch the game so I know that we took an ass kicking and seeing the score really doesn't make any difference at all but I respect your attempt at humor. I think but even when you feel you should keep trying Poddy.

I think next week we are going to do a POD cast segment where in Asia is poll voter defense their ballad. I'm being serious here would you like to be a guest on the POD cast and do the segment with us?

Anybody else on here want to go and do that please send me a PM because we'd really like to have some of the discussion style it goes on at AGS in these threads as part of the podcasts.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I know you weren't wound up, I was just messing around, my rant was primarily directed at ESPN and their lack of attention to detail. My initial thought was to put the Furman game on top, try and milk that cow a little bit more but I got lazy.

Professor Chaos
October 21st, 2019, 08:53 PM
Your #22 SHSU beat your #14 Nichols 17-0 Saturday and SHSU has a better Conference and overall W-L record.
You're really spinning those arguments in SHSU's favor. They only have a better overall and conference record because they've played an extra game... they have the same number in the "L" column in both. On top of that Nicholls played a 2nd FBS game OOC whereas SHSU played a D2 team so they have the same amount of D1 wins and SHSU has one more FCS loss. SHSU does have better wins especially when weighing the head-to-head but they have worse losses also. I think in the case of Nicholls, SHSU, and UCA there is no right answer how they should be ranked in relation to each other. You can make a good argument for them in any order really.

Daytripper
October 21st, 2019, 09:08 PM
You're really spinning those arguments in SHSU's favor. They only have a better overall and conference record because they've played an extra game... they have the same number in the "L" column in both. On top of that Nicholls played a 2nd FBS game OOC whereas SHSU played a D2 team so they have the same amount of D1 wins and SHSU has one more FCS loss. SHSU does have better wins especially when weighing the head-to-head but they have worse losses also. I think in the case of Nicholls, SHSU, and UCA there is no right answer how they should be ranked in relation to each other. You can make a good argument for them in any order really.

This will probably sort itself out this coming Saturday.

Serpentor
October 21st, 2019, 10:34 PM
This has been the most unpredictable Southland season I have ever seen. Literally anybody might beat anybody Any Given Saturday.

https://media.giphy.com/media/xhN4C2vEuapCo/giphy.gif

We're the Wacky Races of the FCS...

Serpentor
October 21st, 2019, 10:36 PM

Just keep us unranked, we're not happy if we're not being disrespected.

Professor Chaos
October 21st, 2019, 10:44 PM
Just keep us unranked, we're not happy if we're not being disrespected.
I have SHSU at #17... but I have both Nicholls and UCA higher for now.

Serpentor
October 21st, 2019, 10:52 PM

That's probably a good spot for us. Maybe a tad high, but who knows. Anything higher than 15 is fantasyland.

grizband
October 21st, 2019, 11:07 PM
My guesses this week:

1. North Dakota State
2. James Madison
3. South Dakota State
4. Weber State
5. Sacramento State
6. Villanova
7. Northern Iowa
8. Illinois State
9. Central Arkansas
10. Montana
11. Kennesaw State
12. Furman
13. Nicholls State
14. Montana State
15. Dartmouth
16. Princeton
17. North Carolina A&T
18. Tennessee Martin
19. Sam Houston State
20. Wofford
21. Central Connecticut
22. Albany
23. Incarnate Word
24. UC Davis
25. Towson

Kemo
October 22nd, 2019, 12:58 AM
If you think Kennesaw is the same as Monmouth you're a bigger doof than the people voting for JSU.

They beat SDSU if Burks doesn't go down early. Or at the very least its a 3 point game.

I watched that entire game and this simply isn't true. SDSU had Burke's number and the only thing that made the game close was Burke going down, allowing KSU's backup to come in and make some nice plays in the passing game.

Professor Chaos
October 22nd, 2019, 06:13 AM
That's probably a good spot for us. Maybe a tad high, but who knows. Anything higher than 15 is fantasyland.
Probably but I felt better putting SHSU there than teams like CCSU, the OVC mish-mash (APSU/SEMO/UTM), or the 2nd tier CAA mish-mash (Stony Brook/UNH/Albany/Towson/Delaware). And I'm high on Incarnate Word so I probably should be high on SHSU since they dumptrucked UIW.

Cocky
October 22nd, 2019, 06:53 AM
Havent read a convincing post on voting or not voting for anyone past 5. After 5 its a mess.

Katfan
October 22nd, 2019, 07:55 AM
Doesn’t it depend on which SHSU team plays. The one without and offense isn’t very good.

Katfan
October 22nd, 2019, 07:57 AM
Probably but I felt better putting SHSU there than teams like CCSU, the OVC mish-mash (APSU/SEMO/UTM), or the 2nd tier CAA mish-mash (Stony Brook/UNH/Albany/Towson/Delaware). And I'm high on Incarnate Word so I probably should be high on SHSU since they dumptrucked UIW.
Be careful UIW played the SHSU team with an offense don’t mistake that for the team that plays most weeks

Derby City Duke
October 22nd, 2019, 08:03 AM
Think I should've put the names of my 7-25 teams on apples and bobbed for the poll. On second thought, maybe that's what I did...

I was harder on Nicholls and Furman than I was on Montana and have boosted Dartmouth a bit too high (thought their Massey and Sagarin #s are pretty solid). I think Wofford has really bounced back after a terrible start and could end up winning the SoCon with UTC and Furman ahead of them on the schedule.

I've seen Tennessee-Martin once in person and was impressed with their ground game that day. Their schedule is back-loaded this year, so we'll see if they are for real soon enough.

1: NorthDakota State Bison
2: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
3: James Madison Dukes
8: Central Arkansas Bears
10: Dartmouth Big Green
11: Montana Grizzlies
12: Illinois State Redbirds
13: Montana State Bobcats
14: Sam Houston State Bearkats
15: Furman Paladins
16: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
17: Southeast Missouri State Redhawks
18: Nicholls State Colonels
19: Princeton Tigers
21: Wofford Terriers
22: North Carolina A&T Aggies
23: Central Connecticut State Blue Devils
24: San Diego Toreros
25: Stony Brook Seawolves

Derby City Duke

clenz
October 22nd, 2019, 08:24 AM
A 4 seed might be a little generous. I look at them similar to Colgate last year. Both are very good teams stuck in crappy conferences. They're clobbering teams which is all you can do when playing a weak schedule. Colgate actually scheduled pretty tough last season but everyone ended up being in the dumps and the Furman game was cancelled.

KSU plays Monmouth and Campbell to finish out the year. Both of those teams are at least respectable to maybe even pretty good.
Sorry - it will take a long freaking time before I believe Monmouth is "respectable or even pretty good".

I guess by Big South standards maybe they are pretty good, in the larger FCS land scape? I don't know about that.

I know this years team isn't the 2017 team that came to the UNIDome, but holy crap, that was a 9-2 4-1 Big South team and it could have been SDSU/APBSU bad if UNI didn't pull starters in the second quarter.

I'm working on something now - but the Big South outside of the Big South is not real good.

Daytripper
October 22nd, 2019, 08:48 AM
Hello Daytripper,

We have received your AGS Top 25 vote on 10/20/2019 17:35:20

2: Weber State Wildcats
5: James Madison Dukes
8: Furman Paladins
9: Central Arkansas Bears
13: Illinois State Redbirds
14: Central Connecticut State Blue Devils
15: Towson Tigers
16: Incarnate Word Cardinals
18: Florida A&M Rattlers
19: Dartmouth Big Green
20: Sam Houston State Bearkats
21: Elon Phoenix
22: Nicholls State Colonels
24: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
25: North Carolina A&T Aggies

Daytripper

Professor Chaos
October 22nd, 2019, 08:53 AM
Hello Daytripper,

We have received your AGS Top 25 vote on 10/20/2019 17:35:20

2: Weber State Wildcats
5: James Madison Dukes
8: Furman Paladins
9: Central Arkansas Bears
13: Illinois State Redbirds
14: Central Connecticut State Blue Devils
15: Towson Tigers
16: Incarnate Word Cardinals
18: Florida A&M Rattlers
19: Dartmouth Big Green
20: Sam Houston State Bearkats
21: Elon Phoenix
22: Nicholls State Colonels
24: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
25: North Carolina A&T Aggies

Daytripper

Wow, you must've really thought that Nicholls blowout over UCA was an anomaly?

Daytripper
October 22nd, 2019, 08:57 AM

I think our win over Nicholls says more about Nicholls than their win over a talented, but underachieving UCA team. If UCA puts it together (Big if, I admit), they have the QB to make a deep run in the playoffs.

BEAR
October 22nd, 2019, 09:18 AM
I think our win over Nicholls says more about Nicholls than their win over a talented, but underachieving UCA team. If UCA puts it together (Big if, I admit), they have the QB to make a deep run in the playoffs.

You won't have much of a problem this week. xcoffeex

MSUBobcat
October 22nd, 2019, 10:17 AM
Sorry - it will take a long freaking time before I believe Monmouth is "respectable or even pretty good".

I guess by Big South standards maybe they are pretty good, in the larger FCS land scape? I don't know about that.

I know this years team isn't the 2017 team that came to the UNIDome, but holy crap, that was a 9-2 4-1 Big South team and it could have been SDSU/APBSU bad if UNI didn't pull starters in the second quarter.

I'm working on something now - but the Big South outside of the Big South is not real good.

I was actually more shocked at calling Campbell "respectable or even pretty good". They may be but there's nothing in their resume to prove it thus far. They got dump trucked by a bad Troy team whose only other wins are against the WORST team in FBS Akron (I mean, they managed to lose to UMass.... ****ing UMass!!) and an almost equally terrible South Alabama (only win is Jackson State). Their FCS wins are a 2 point home win over a decent Davidson, a 7 point win over meh Mercer, a 14 point home win over the worst FCS team in Presby and a 15 point home win over Hampton. Using Campbell especially and Monmouth as your "quality wins" is a hilarious argument. xtwocentsx

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 22nd, 2019, 10:31 AM
I was actually more shocked at calling Campbell "respectable or even pretty good". They may be but there's nothing in their resume to prove it thus far. They got dump trucked by a bad Troy team whose only other wins are against the WORST team in FBS Akron (I mean, they managed to lose to UMass.... ****ing UMass!!) and an almost equally terrible South Alabama (only win is Jackson State). Their FCS wins are a 2 point home win over a decent Davidson, a 7 point win over meh Mercer, a 14 point home win over the worst FCS team in Presby and a 15 point home win over Hampton. Using Campbell especially and Monmouth as your "quality wins" is a hilarious argument. xtwocentsx

I stand by my comment that both are respectable to MAYBE even pretty good. I think Top 40'ish is possible/plausible. Winning is not easy. Especially when you're playing familiar teams.

I'm not hater like many on here are. I try to give respect to the smaller conference teams when I feel its warranted.

clenz
October 22nd, 2019, 10:42 AM
I stand by my comment that both are respectable to MAYBE even pretty good. I think Top 40'ish is possible/plausible. Winning is not easy. Especially when you're playing familiar teams.

I'm not hater like many on here are. I try to give respect to the smaller conference teams when I feel its warranted.
I will too - I voted NCAT pretty highly this week. I voted for an Ivy team. I've voted NEC and PL teams in the past. I've voted Big South teams in the past.

However, when you start to compare SoS and performances against it, and then see these conferences play against "big conferences", it gets pretty hard to really actually believe they are top 20 other than they have a better record than a 5th or 6th Big Sky, MVFC, CAA, etc. team

MSUBobcat
October 22nd, 2019, 11:01 AM

I'm of the mind that the top 40 beats that schedule like a drum, and maybe even pulls off a win at Troy. Davidson is arguably their best win. San Diego, currently #38 in this week's AGS, went across the country and beat Davidson (a familiar team) by 20 while Campbell had them at home and won by 2.

I'm not hating on Campbell for being from a smaller conference; I just don't see anything that would warrant being ranked in the top 50 in FCS. I guess I could go along with Campbell being a "respectable" win, but not "maybe even pretty good". Beating them shouldn't boost KSU's chances at a seed very much. What I think and what the committee would do, assuming KSU continues to plow thru the rest of their schedule, are probably 2 different things and they'll be given a top 6 seed most likely. Long way to go, so not much use in speculating quite yet.

Katfan
October 22nd, 2019, 11:11 AM
Or SHSU blowout of UIW! Oh wait it was!

Daytripper
October 22nd, 2019, 02:00 PM
Or SHSU blowout of UIW! Oh wait it was!

Having UIW over SHSU here is simply a product of recency. They are the hottest team in the conference at the moment, so I ranked them accordingly.

HootyHoo
October 22nd, 2019, 02:07 PM
I'm loving the KSU conversations on this thread. It's pretty awesome for the program to be this relevant on the national stage just 5 years in. This Owl team is in transition right now, but i still think it can beat any team outside the top 3 quite easily. The people who just cite the Massey schedule rankings over and over again are lazy and naive. Schedule rankings don't win football games. Look at Clemson, their schedule sucks but nobody doubts their quality. The Owls are obviously the fourth best team in the country. xpeacex

F'N Hawks
October 22nd, 2019, 02:10 PM
If I am seeing this correctly - Illinois State won't have traveled outside the borders of Illinois until Nov 9th when they head to SDSU.

HOLY ****. That is honestly amazing. 9 games in a row inside the state. xrotatehx

cx500d
October 22nd, 2019, 02:22 PM
If I am seeing this correctly - Illinois State won't have traveled outside the borders of Illinois until Nov 9th when they head to SDSU.

HOLY ****. That is honestly amazing. 9 games in a row inside the state. xrotatehx

Poor suckers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Derby City Duke
October 22nd, 2019, 02:50 PM
I'm loving the KSU conversations on this thread. It's pretty awesome for the program to be this relevant on the national stage just 5 years in. This Owl team is in transition right now, but i still think it can beat any team outside the top 3 quite easily. The people who just cite the Massey schedule rankings over and over again are lazy and naive. Schedule rankings don't win football games. Look at Clemson, their schedule sucks but nobody doubts their quality. The Owls are obviously the fourth best team in the country. xpeacex

Troll elsewhere.

HootyHoo
October 22nd, 2019, 03:04 PM
Troll elsewhere.

How am i trolling? Is it irrational to say that the team that is ranked 4th and 6th in the polls is the obvious 4th best team in the country. KSU would probably lose to James Madison as well as the Dakota State schools. But am i supposed to respect teams like Sacramento State, Weber State, and a banged up Villanova team? The Owls are #2 in the FCS in Rushing offense and #1 in total defense. Last time is checked, running the ball and playing good defense is a recipe for success.

clenz
October 22nd, 2019, 03:08 PM
How am i trolling? Is it irrational to say that the team that is ranked 4th and 6th in the polls is the obvious 4th best team in the country. KSU would probably lose to James Madison as well as the Dakota State schools. But am i supposed to respect teams like Sacramento State, Weber State, and a banged up Villanova team? The Owls are #2 in the FCS in Rushing offense and #1 in total defense. Last time is checked, running the ball and playing good defense is a recipe for success.
Just ignore how SOS plays into that my dude.

F'N Hawks
October 22nd, 2019, 03:11 PM
UND had a really good pass defense too.....until we played Davis and ISU (home version). Now their pass defense looks like ****.

Who you play matters, ironically.

HootyHoo
October 22nd, 2019, 03:17 PM
[QUOTE=clenz;2817051]Just ignore how SOS plays into that my dude.[/QUOTE

It's not the Owls fault that no one wants to play us. Furman bailed on us at the last minute. I give props to programs like Jacksonville State, Montana State, and Missouri State for honoring their commitments.

KPSUL
October 22nd, 2019, 03:31 PM

This makes your argument even weaker - Nichols has no business being ranked higher than #17. A 17-0 shutout is a definitive win - and embarrassing for the team shutout given the level of scoring in college football these days. Two FBS losses count as a big zero, same as a Division 2 win. So we're looking at two teams in SHSU and Nichols with 4 FCS wins. One, SHSU, has one more conference win and beat the other team, Nichols, 2 days ago by 17 points. Yet you rank Nichols higher?

Professor Chaos
October 22nd, 2019, 03:40 PM
This makes your argument even weaker - Nichols has no business being ranked higher than #17. A 17-0 shutout is a definitive win - and embarrassing for the team shutout given the level of scoring in college football these days. Two FBS losses count as a big zero, same as a Division 2 win. So we're looking at two teams in SHSU and Nichols with 4 FCS wins. One, SHSU, has one more conference win and beat the other team, Nichols, 2 days ago by 17 points. Yet you rank Nichols higher?
Yep, two questionable losses by SHSU to UND and Lamar are the main reason why. They win either of those and they're clearly above Nicholls in my mind. Your argument that SHSU has one more conference win doesn't hold any water with me because they've played one additional conference game. You're basically punishing Nicholls for having an earlier bye week than SHSU. As far as all the stuff about shutouts and the amount of points scored in today's you're kind of reaching there IMO. If you go into that level of detail when you vote good for you but it makes my brain hurt to look at more than margin of victory considering the number of games and teams that are considered each week.

clenz
October 22nd, 2019, 03:42 PM
Just ignore how SOS plays into that my dude.

It's not the Owls fault that no one wants to play us. Furman bailed on us at the last minute. I give props to programs like Jacksonville State, Montana State, and Missouri State for honoring their commitments.
Here's the thing about beating Missouri State - or putting up the yards that JSU spoke of earlier

MSU - even though WIU is winless on the season and lost to MSU - might actually be worse than WIU

They are last in the conference with 16 ppg scored
last in the conference in points given up at 38 per game
last in the conference in yards given up at 458 and 6.7 yards per play
last in the conference giving up 236 rushing yards per game at 5.4 yards per carry
last in the conference in defensive passing efficiency given up
last in the conference in sacks - 6 through 6 games (half the conference averages at least 3 per game)
last in the conference in first downs when you take away first downs by penalty
last in the conference in 3rd down conversion rate (25%)
last in the conference in 4th down conversions give up at 68%
Somehow they are first in the conference in yards earned off of penalties by 20 yards per game

They average 2.2 yards per carry on the season

Shockingly they are second in the conference in first downs given up - though i assume it's because teams score so frequently on long plays first downs down happen as much - especially when combined with other teams just going into clock burning mode early on them

They honor their commitment because no matter who they play they lose and no one goes to their games because no one cares.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 22nd, 2019, 04:00 PM
Let's fix the quote. HootyHoo you started that thing so when you mess it up fix it right away cuz that crap gets to me to see pages of f'd up quotes. If you screw it up please edit your post and fix it.

KSUFAN
October 22nd, 2019, 04:01 PM
Here's the thing about beating Missouri State - or putting up the yards that JSU spoke of earlier

MSU - even though WIU is winless on the season and lost to MSU - might actually be worse than WIU

last in the conference giving up 236 rushing yards per game at 5.4 yards per carry
last in the conference in sacks - 6 through 6 games (half the conference averages at least 3 per game)
Somehow they are first in the conference in yards earned off of penalties by 20 yards per game

Shockingly they are second in the conference in first downs given up - though i assume it's because teams score so frequently on long plays first downs down happen as much - especially when combined with other teams just going into clock burning mode early on them

They honor their commitment because no matter who they play they lose and no one goes to their games because no one cares.

Is this a shot at NDSU home game this past weekend or at KSU? I agree with you the stats don't mean anything when you are playing weaker teams. If KSU was just getting by that would be one thing but they aren't. Are they a seed this year? If they are its because a lot of the top teams fall apart and KSU runs the table. They will need help!! You have to admit some teams match up better than others. Just my opinion.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 22nd, 2019, 04:12 PM
I'm just deleting any future messed up quotes on posts so if you spend any time on your reply I'd check it and make sure you add the bracket that was erased on HootyHoo's post that started this ****.

BTW, it looks like this:
]

Bisonator
October 22nd, 2019, 05:39 PM

You know what's going to happen now, UNI will lose to Misery State this weekend. Not likely but it would be funny.xlolx

clenz
October 22nd, 2019, 05:49 PM
You know what's going to happen now, UNI will lose to Misery State this weekend. Not likely but it would be funny.xlolxI could see a game similar to that NDSU played but a loss would truly shatter the earth time continuum.

UNI is 34-5 all time against MSU. The Ls were 2005 1998 1989 1988 and 1983

Actually 05 could have some extra parallels

NDSU gave UNI their worse loss since 2005, the same year as the last time UNI lost to MSU.

UNI went to the title game in 05 beating the number 3 and 1 teams on the road on the way to the title game.

Give me a MSU loss this weekend if it means running the table after it like happened in 05.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

KPSUL
October 22nd, 2019, 06:18 PM
Yep, two questionable losses by SHSU to UND and Lamar are the main reason why. They win either of those and they're clearly above Nicholls in my mind. Your argument that SHSU has one more conference win doesn't hold any water with me because they've played one additional conference game. You're basically punishing Nicholls for having an earlier bye week than SHSU. As far as all the stuff about shutouts and the amount of points scored in today's you're kind of reaching there IMO. If you go into that level of detail when you vote good for you but it makes my brain hurt to look at more than margin of victory considering the number of games and teams that are considered each week.

We could go back and forth on the tangential factors all week - Neither of the FBS losses Nichols posted were "good" losses, a typical average FCS team getting blown out by a mediocre P5 team, and a 21 point loss to marginal G5 team. One of their 4 victories was over a SWAC team that is 2-4 against Div 1 competition. The only really decisive factor to consider: SHSU 17, Nichols 0 two days ago.

Derby City Duke
October 22nd, 2019, 08:33 PM

When I want to get a true measure of JMU's stats/performance during this season, I don't include the games against St. Francis and Morgan State because of the level of competition. I only look at their FBS game and their 4 CAA games. The other 2 games are just stat sheet stuffers that show very little about how good we might/might not be. I do think it matters who you play, regardless of why you played them.

Holding Elon and William & Mary to 33 and 77 yards rushing respectively, having no 0 or negative yard offensive plays against Elon, and having 16 TFL against W&M is, IMO, much more indicative of our offensive and defensive capabilities than holding Morgan State and SFU to 79 yards each rushing.

I don't think KSU is the 4th best team in the country -- the coaches' poll should be more accurately named the 'football operations interns' poll' -- and not sure they should be seeded if the season ended today. Doesn't mean I think they are a bad team, I just think there are a bunch of teams that are better.

SpreadTheWord
October 22nd, 2019, 09:29 PM
Having UIW over SHSU here is simply a product of recency. They are the hottest team in the conference at the moment, so I ranked them accordingly.

That ass whoopin' y'all gave us was exactly the wake-up call we needed. There's a silver lining in everything...

Serpentor
October 23rd, 2019, 12:50 AM
That ass whoopin' y'all gave us was exactly the wake-up call we needed. There's a silver lining in everything...

Careful, that leads to mercury poisoning...

kalm
October 23rd, 2019, 06:59 AM
xchinscratchx

Ummm.....No.

Recognizing satire has never been your thing.

clenz
October 23rd, 2019, 08:29 AM
FIX YOUR GOTT DANGED QUOTES

Also - UNI clearly has no interest in playing only home buy games. UNI has zero games on the book starting in 2021. Give our AD a call, I'd bet you'd find an AD willing to bring you to the UNIDome for a trip to your place.

kalm
October 23rd, 2019, 08:36 AM
FIX YOUR GOTT DANGED QUOTES

Also - UNI clearly has no interest in playing only home buy games. UNI has zero games on the book starting in 2021. Give our AD a call, I'd bet you'd find an AD willing to bring you to the UNIDome for a trip to your place.

Were you talking to me? I couldn’t tell cuz I wasn’t...quoted.

Also...I have a Luddite exemption card.

MSUBobcat
October 23rd, 2019, 12:11 PM
Is this a shot at NDSU home game this past weekend or at KSU? I agree with you the stats don't mean anything when you are playing weaker teams. If KSU was just getting by that would be one thing but they aren't. Are they a seed this year? If they are its because a lot of the top teams fall apart and KSU runs the table. They will need help!! You have to admit some teams match up better than others. Just my opinion.

You are being reasonable. See if you can't teach that to Hooty. Even with running the table, I can envision situations where KSU doesn't get a seed. Here's my list of potential teams that I would seed above KSU assuming they take care of business:

1) NDSU - even with a loss to SDSU, if it's their only loss
2) JMU - given if they run the table
3) SDSU - even with a loss to NDSU, if they win all remaining games
4) Weber/Sac State - they play each other Nov 2nd; asssuming the victor runs the table, they are also a given. One could even make the argument that both could be seeded if it's the losing team's only FCS loss. (both have 2 FBS losses)
5) Nova - only loss would be to a top 2 seed in JMU
6) Griz/MSU - winner of the Brawl would have only losses would be to FBS (Oregon or Texas Tech, respectively) and Sac State (assumes Sac continues with their solid play)
7) Ill State - only losses would be to FBS Northern Illinois and NDSU
8) Maybe the SLC champ if they stop cannibalizing each other and one team goes on a run for the remainder of the season.

So there's easy avenues for 3 MVFC seeds, 2 (and maybe 3) BSC seeds, 2 CAA seeds and maybe an SLC seed. That's 7-9 seeds before getting to KSU. We probably should wait a few weeks to see if everything goes chalk before pontificating too much.

clenz
October 23rd, 2019, 12:21 PM
You are being reasonable. See if you can't teach that to Hooty. Even with running the table, I can envision situations where KSU doesn't get a seed. Here's my list of potential teams that I would seed above KSU assuming they take care of business:

4) Weber/Sac State - they play each other Nov 2nd; asssuming the victor runs the table, they are also a given. One could even make the argument that both could be seeded if it's the losing team's only FCS loss. (both have 2 FBS losses)
6) Griz/MSU - winner of the Brawl would have only losses would be to FBS (Oregon or Texas Tech, respectively) and Sac State (assumes Sac continues with their solid play)
8) Maybe the SLC champ if they stop cannibalizing each other and one team goes on a run for the remainder of the season.

So there's easy avenues for 3 MVFC seeds, 2 (and maybe 3) BSC seeds, 2 CAA seeds and maybe an SLC seed. That's 7-9 seeds before getting to KSU. We probably should wait a few weeks to see if everything goes chalk before pontificating too much.
You can replace Illinois State with UNI potentially as well

UNI beats Illinois State and they finish either

9-3 (7-1) taking Iowa State to 3 OT, losing at Weber State (you're seed) and at NDSU beating SDSU AT SDSU and ISUr AT ISUr. Second place in the MVFC...honestly in this case UNI gets a top 3 or 4 seed
or
8-4 (6-2) taking Iowa State to 3 OT, losing at Weber State (you're seed) and at NDSU, SDSU AT SDSU and beating ISUr AT ISUr. Likely a third place finish

Even 8-4 with ISUr and SDSU flipped still could see a 6-8 seed.

I also hate everyone involved with UNI's scheduling.

UNI's AD for forcing this bullcrap H/Hs with teams thousands of miles away rather than buying games LIKE EVERY OTHER TEAM IN OUR CONFERENCE.

The Valley for the way they have forced UNI to play both DSU's and ISUr on the road every single time they are on the schedule - yes I know that means they get all at home in the other year as well but not worth the trade off.

Because of those two factors this year UNI will play, on the road, (rank as of this week)

Iowa State (top 25 caliber FBS team)
#4 Weber State
#1 NDSU
#10 ISUr
#3 SDSU

X-Factor
October 23rd, 2019, 12:27 PM

SDSU and ISUr still play each other, so I think only option for all 3 a seed is if sdsu beats NDSU and then they lose to ISUr. ISUr has to beat the bunnies to get a seed from my standpoint. The most likely outcome is for NDSU to beat SDSU this weekend, then sdsu beats isu in Brookings and only the 2 SUs get seeds

uofmman1122
October 23rd, 2019, 12:37 PM

Disagree with some of this. If Sac or Weber win out, the best the loser of NDSU/SDSU can hope for is the 4th seed, assuming the winner and JMU also win out. There's no way Sac or Weber fall below a 1-loss SDSU/NDSU if either team is undefeated vs. FCS, especially if it's Sac with their brutal schedule.

Your assertion about UM/MSU doesn't really make sense, either. If UM only loses to FBS and Sac State, that means they beat Weber, and probably would be higher than 6. The Big Sky seeds get really interesting if Weber beats Sac, but loses to the Griz, who then lose to MSU.

kalm
October 23rd, 2019, 12:43 PM
Disagree with some of this. If Sac or Weber win out, the best the loser of NDSU/SDSU can hope for is the 4th seed, assuming the winner and JMU also win out. There's no way Sac or Weber fall below a 1-loss SDSU/NDSU if either team is undefeated vs. FCS, especially if it's Sac with their brutal schedule.

Your assertion about UM/MSU doesn't really make sense, either. If UM only loses to FBS and Sac State, that means they beat Weber, and probably would be higher than 6. The Big Sky seeds get really interesting if Weber beats Sac, but loses to the Griz, who then lose to MSU.

Yep.

It would be interesting to see an undefeated Sac or Weber’s seed versus a one FCS loss from the other three.

Professor Chaos
October 23rd, 2019, 12:44 PM

I don't think he meant it as those are the order of the seeds, at least I didn't read it that way. I read it as a list of teams with the best chance to get seeded over/instead of Kennesaw.

MSUBobcat
October 23rd, 2019, 12:46 PM
SDSU and ISUr still play each other, so I think only option for all 3 a seed is if sdsu beats NDSU and then they lose to ISUr. ISUr has to beat the bunnies to get a seed from my standpoint. The most likely outcome is for NDSU to beat SDSU this weekend, then sdsu beats isu in Brookings and only the 2 SUs get seeds

Yup, you're right. I scanned all the AGS top 12 schedules, but somehow missed that they still have SDSU. I agree SDSU has to beat NDSU, then lose to ISU-r for the MVFC to get 3 seeds. Same scenario applies to UNI, as clenz noted, but I purposely left them off because of the if/then scenarios that I was trying to avoid wherein a certain order of things had to occur rather than just win out. Given this new info, if KSU wins out, they have a strong likelihood to get a seed, even with a schedule full of Sisters of the Poor.

MSUBobcat
October 23rd, 2019, 12:53 PM

It's not a prediction of who gets what seeds. It's just a list enumerating teams that have a better chance (in my humble opinion) of deserving a seed above Kennesaw, assuming they win out (or only lose to another team on the list in the case of the XDSU's and Sac/Weber).

That last statement tho.... the end of the regular season is going to get a bit WILD I think! Gotta get through these next few weeks first.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think he meant it as those are the order of the seeds, at least I didn't read it that way. I read it as a list of teams with the best chance to get seeded over/instead of Kennesaw.

This is why you're the Professor!

caa51
October 23rd, 2019, 12:57 PM
There is no way that Stonybrook should be ranked ahead of New Hampshire! New Hampshire beat Stonybrook at Stonybrook and has a better conference record. I rest my case!

KSUFAN
October 23rd, 2019, 01:19 PM
I agree with what you guys are saying. That's why I said if KSU wins out they will still need help to get a seed. There are a bunch of scenerios out there where KSU won't get seeded and most KSU fans understand that. We haven't had football long but a lot of us followed Georgia Southern while they played in the playoffs and understand that the committee has their own special way of picking seeds and at large playoff teams.

kdinva
October 23rd, 2019, 01:30 PM
4: Villanova Wildcats
12: Northern Iowa Panthers
13: Wofford Terriers
15: Sam Houston State Bearkats
16: Nicholls State Colonels
18: Youngstown State Penguins
19: Florida A&M Rattlers
20: Dartmouth Big Green
21: Princeton Tigers
23: Albany Great Danes
24: Bethune-Cookman Wildcats
25: Towson Tigers

caribbeanhen
October 23rd, 2019, 01:36 PM
There is no way that Stonybrook should be ranked ahead of New Hampshire! New Hampshire beat Stonybrook at Stonybrook and has a better conference record. I rest my case!

maybe neither should be ranked

caribbeanhen
October 23rd, 2019, 01:40 PM

Florida A&M over Princeton and Dartmouth? The Rattlers would be big underdog to each

MSUBobcat
October 23rd, 2019, 02:58 PM

I'm not real concerned about it, but there's not a single team that you'd put between the Hornets and Griz after the 27 point ass whipping on Saturday??? I.e. everyone below the Griz would have lost by 28 or more? That's a bit of a head scratcher to me.

Professor
October 23rd, 2019, 03:05 PM

Just 1 year. They are on probation for 5 years

Derby City Duke
October 23rd, 2019, 04:17 PM

Stony Brook didn't lose to Holy Cross...that trumps the H2H. SBU is my #25 this week, with UNH coming in around 27/28.

cx500d
October 23rd, 2019, 04:17 PM

That’s three SU’s

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

uofmman1122
October 23rd, 2019, 05:37 PM

It's not a prediction of who gets what seeds. It's just a list enumerating teams that have a better chance (in my humble opinion) of deserving a seed above Kennesaw, assuming they win out (or only lose to another team on the list in the case of the XDSU's and Sac/Weber).

That last statement tho.... the end of the regular season is going to get a bit WILD I think! Gotta get through these next few weeks first.
Whoops, don't know how I missed that. I'd agree, then, for the most part. I could nitpick little things, but it's a little early for that. haha

uofmman1122
October 23rd, 2019, 05:47 PM
I'm not real concerned about it, but there's not a single team that you'd put between the Hornets and Griz after the 27 point ass whipping on Saturday??? I.e. everyone below the Griz would have lost by 28 or more? That's a bit of a head scratcher to me.
I mean, it's an interesting thought experiment to project how other teams would do against Sac to fit them in here, but we're at a point in the season where body of work starts to make up a big part of the rankings.

I think Montana is a lot better than what they showed on Saturday night, and hammering them when they couldn't have played much worse if they were actively trying to, while ignoring how they've blown out every other team they've played is a little reactionary, IMO. If we struggle to replicate the success we had in the early part of the season going forward, a slide would be justified, and I think voters will reflect that.

That said, right now I think you could make an argument for Montana anywhere from #6 to #15 if you really tried (as long as we're behind Sac), and you might not be "wrong" putting us in any of those spots.

kdinva
October 23rd, 2019, 06:44 PM

I try to look at the whole season as well as the most recent weekend, and hope I don't "slot vote".....no way I put Kenny State ahead of Montana right now, as an FYI.

caa51
October 23rd, 2019, 06:56 PM
maybe neither should be ranked

Cannot argue with that but I also stand by my first statement

caa51
October 23rd, 2019, 06:59 PM
Stony Brook didn't lose to Holy Cross...that trumps the H2H. SBU is my #25 this week, with UNH coming in around 27/28.

An out of Conference first game of the season loss trumps a head to head win and better league record? In no way can I follow that logic!!

Derby City Duke
October 23rd, 2019, 09:02 PM
An out of Conference first game of the season loss trumps a head to head win and better league record? In no way can I follow that logic!!

That's fine; you certainly didn't blow the doors off Stony Brook -- had to depend on the HC's lack of confidence in his kicker late in the game. Don't lose to the 'best' team in a horrible conference. It'll all sort itself out between now and week 12.

caa51
October 24th, 2019, 08:13 AM
That's fine; you certainly didn't blow the doors off Stony Brook -- had to depend on the HC's lack of confidence in his kicker late in the game. Don't lose to the 'best' team in a horrible conference. It'll all sort itself out between now and week 12.

A win is a win especially on the road in that league. Cannot make excuses as to why it happened. I do agree with you though that it will all sort itself out.

Sycamore62
October 24th, 2019, 08:45 AM
i have to go on record to say my poll voting has been a dumpster fire for a few weeks now. This will be the first time in a while I dont envy being on the selection committee.

Catbooster
October 24th, 2019, 10:16 AM
Especially considering there's a team ranked 4 or 5 below that played Sac the previous week and lost by half as much. xcoffeex

Lots of games left still. It should get sorted out. Associative property isn't reliable for score comparison, home field vs away, etc. Room for lots of opinions.

Redbird 4th & short
October 24th, 2019, 10:23 AM

ISUr "most likely" outcome is probably 8-4 ... assuming losses to SDSU (road) & UNI (home) and wins over ISUb (homecoming), MoST (home), and YSU (road). I can seeing us beating UNI possibly or maybe losing to ISUb ... both are at home. So we could just as easily finish 9-3 or 7-5. Spack seems to know how to prepare for Pelini YSU teams, so I think that road game is pretty solid chance of W. For all these reason, I see us at 8-4. Nice record for being in MVFC, but not that impressive in terms of quality wins and losses so far .. I would say we have some solid wins, but not quality wins.

So 8-4 against this years SOS (weaker than usual) is not as impressive as it sounds .... but no upset losses yet, and beats the hell out of 6-5.

Redbird 4th & short
October 24th, 2019, 10:31 AM

Your top 5 makes compele sense, but curious why you have Weber St "or" Sac St. If their game is played within a TD or less, the lose should drop very little.

Agree with clenz comment on UNI or ISUr ... UNI has current advantage due to much tougher SOS. We play them at home, so that helps some and we currently are up 1 game overall, albeit against weaker SOS.

And I don't see Mont "or" Mont St necessarily ... like them both, but don't love them both. But I suppose one could imagine Big Sky getting 3 top 8 seeds again this year .. so maybe.

MSUBobcat
October 24th, 2019, 11:42 AM
Your top 5 makes compele sense, but curious why you have Weber St "or" Sac St. If their game is played within a TD or less, the lose should drop very little.

Agree with clenz comment on UNI or ISUr ... UNI has current advantage due to much tougher SOS. We play them at home, so that helps some and we currently are up 1 game overall, albeit against weaker SOS.

And I don't see Mont "or" Mont St necessarily ... like them both, but don't love them both. But I suppose one could imagine Big Sky getting 3 top 8 seeds again this year .. so maybe.

I think you missed where I stated that "One could even make the argument that both could be seeded if it's the losing team's only FCS loss."

For UM and MSU, if both win out from here, with their only FCS loss to Sac State (assuming Sac keeps hammering everyone), I doubt the committee doesn't give the winner of the Brawl a seed. The winner would be 10-2 with an FBS loss and a loss to a top seeded Hornet team.

Still plenty of tough games left, so speculation at this point is for entertainment value only.

KPSUL
October 24th, 2019, 09:50 PM

I couldn't care less whether or not UNH is ranked at this juncture, the CAA is about half way through the conference games so nothing yet has been decided - rankings and conference standings will be sorted out soon enough. Right now deciding among Albany, UNH, Stony Brook, and Delaware as to who should or should not be ranked is total guess work.

Derby City Duke
October 25th, 2019, 06:40 PM
I couldn't care less whether or not UNH is ranked at this juncture, the CAA is about half way through the conference games so nothing yet has been decided - rankings and conference standings will be sorted out soon enough. Right now deciding among Albany, UNH, Stony Brook, and Delaware as to who should or should not be ranked is total guess work.

Agree. Why I said in a later post that it would sort out over the next 5 weeks.