BearDownMU
October 21st, 2019, 11:35 AM
My first Power Rankings of the Year.

1-7) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8) ETSU
9) WCU

Mocs123
October 21st, 2019, 12:10 PM
It's been a crazy year in the SoCon and to be honest I'm not sure who to pick or how to rank anyone anymore, and normally by now we have some clairity on who should go where.

ETSU 27
Samford 31

Chattanooga 23
Wofford 21

Mercer 21
The Citadel 34

Furman 41
Western Carolina 13

1.) Furman
2.) Wofford
3.) Chattanooga
4.) The Citadel
5.) Samford
6.) VMI
7.) ETSU
8.) Mercer
9.) Western Carolina

Possible Division 1 wins (not counting money games exceptThe Citadel’s win over GT)
Chattanooga – 9
Furman – 8
The Citadel – 8
Wofford – 8
Samford – 7
Mercer – 7
VMI – 6
ETSU – 5
Western Carolina - 5

walliver
October 21st, 2019, 01:01 PM
Power Rankings:
1) Chattanooga - They really haven't impressed me much, but could they be like 2018's ETSU or 2017's Wofford teams that just seemed to win no matter what.
2) Wofford - Defense on opening play looked bad, but much improved from September
3) Furman - still the team to beat, but losing has consequences. Big surprise from last week was their offensive failure
4-6 are a toss up
4) The Citadel - credit for a win
5) Samford - very unpredictable
6) VMI - middle of the pack - which is good for VMI
7) ETSU - I thought they overacheived last year, but expected more this year
8) Mercer - a tough year got a lot worse last Saturday
9) WCU - Horrible without Tyrie, and not that much better when he does play.

This week:
Chatty at Wofford - The TrainBirds seem to find a way to win this year, but T-Dogs shut them down 31-20
ETSU at Samford - I probably should just flip a coin when Samford is involved. ETSU, however, hasn't impressed me this year- The Bulldogs win 30-28
Mercer at The Citadel - With Riddle, this could be a good game. Without him, the Chucktown Pups win 31-13
Furman at Western - Point will give the horsey people a better game. Furman wins 77-3

Playoffs: Chatty, Furman, and Wofford control their own destiny for auto bid
A non-auto bid with 7-1 is probably safe for an at-large
Furman reasonably safe at 6-2 (8-4) although sub D1 game won't help at the end. Wofford and Chatty at 6-2 might spend Thanksgiving at Grandma's.

Milktruck74
October 21st, 2019, 01:21 PM
Any word on Riddle? That is the type of break that guys do not come back from. I assume he probably had plates and screws put in yesterday or this morning. That was just nasty, and nobody ever want's to see that happen to a kid!!! HE is a competitor, so if it can be come back from, he will figure out a way. Prayers for his recovery.

BearDownMU
October 21st, 2019, 01:31 PM
Any word on Riddle? That is the type of break that guys do not come back from. I assume he probably had plates and screws put in yesterday or this morning. That was just nasty, and nobody ever want's to see that happen to a kid!!! HE is a competitor, so if it can be come back from, he will figure out a way. Prayers for his recovery.

https://twitter.com/MercerFootball/status/1186334013629370368

https://twitter.com/MercerFootball/status/1186298505289224193

Milktruck74
October 21st, 2019, 01:34 PM
If Chattanooga (orv #35) beats a good (my opinion a better than #24) Wofford Team on the road, will that give them enough momentum to jump 10 spots and crack the top 25? They will be overall 5-3 (losses to JMU, JSU and FBS UTK) and 4-0 in the SoCon.

Milktruck74
October 21st, 2019, 01:40 PM

That sounds positive. The Kelley kid from ETSU that had a very similar looking break against JSU last year is just now getting some normalcy back to his life. He was actually inpatient rehab. HE had a rough rough go of it...and walking normally is a goal!!!! Sounds like Riddle is doing better...the "full recovery" piece sounds very good!!!!

bonarae
October 21st, 2019, 07:13 PM
Wofford
Samford
The Citadel
Furman

MayorOfHenTown
October 21st, 2019, 07:37 PM
UTC
ETSU
The Citadel
WCU

gofurman
October 21st, 2019, 08:22 PM

really glad to hear this. THIS is what matters most. Prayers for the young man !!!

- - - Updated - - -

UTC
ETSU
The Citadel
WCU

western over Furman. man o man - wow

gofurman
October 21st, 2019, 09:52 PM
Power Rankings:
1) Chattanooga - They really haven't impressed me much, but could they be like 2018's ETSU or 2017's Wofford teams that just seemed to win no matter what.
2) Wofford - Defense on opening play looked bad, but much improved from September
3) Furman - still the team to beat, but losing has consequences. Big surprise from last week was their offensive failure
4-6 are a toss up
4) The Citadel - credit for a win
5) Samford - very unpredictable
6) VMI - middle of the pack - which is good for VMI
7) ETSU - I thought they overacheived last year, but expected more this year
8) Mercer - a tough year got a lot worse last Saturday
9) WCU - Horrible without Tyrie, and not that much better when he does play.

This week:
Chatty at Wofford - The TrainBirds seem to find a way to win this year, but T-Dogs shut them down 31-20
ETSU at Samford - I probably should just flip a coin when Samford is involved. ETSU, however, hasn't impressed me this year- The Bulldogs win 30-28
Mercer at The Citadel - With Riddle, this could be a good game. Without him, the Chucktown Pups win 31-13
Furman at Western - Point will give the horsey people a better game. Furman wins 77-3

Playoffs: Chatty, Furman, and Wofford control their own destiny for auto bid
A non-auto bid with 7-1 is probably safe for an at-large
Furman reasonably safe at 6-2 (8-4) although sub D1 game won't help at the end. Wofford and Chatty at 6-2 might spend Thanksgiving at Grandma's.
agree - I think Furman (fair or not, we have the ranking still of 14th right now - and I admit it might not be fair) could get in at 8-4 while others at similar 6-2 SoCon might be home. To the fairness Furman did play TWO FBS which is really tough and those have come out looking better by the week. lost by 6 to GSU who beat Army !!! Lost by 7 (24-17 to VTech who beat Miami and UNC ! those are strong showings vs FBS. Drop them from FU schedule and if we went 8-4 that's really 8-2. drop NAIA POINT also as is fair and we would be 7-2 vs all SoCon and FCS (Charleston Southern too). At 8-4 as 7-2 FCS and top 20 I would think a team is in playoffs. any team, not just mine. becuase said team is ranked 14th now.. go 4-1 in last 5 games probably still top 20 easily. a 7-2 FCS team w strong showings vs FBS ranked top 20...

843yapterrier
October 22nd, 2019, 02:04 AM
1. Wofford (Getting better every week, understand SOS argument against but yaps more than squeaking by...time will tell)
2. Furman (Multiple offense keeps as class of conference, seed still possible...unless it rains...or assignment schemes are true D weakness)
3. Chattanooga (Is this remotely accurate, hard to know still after sloppy weekday win/SOS. Saturday opportunity for validation and more)
4. Samford (Bye week gets #2 healthy for easier remaining schedule (sans Auburn) that they will have to outscore unless tackling improves)
5. Citadel (Healthy Rainey makes winning out and climb to the top(ish) possible. Helluva win in that Greenville. Yaps at home helps chances but then again Wofford has truly dominated this series since 1998)
6. VMI (can beat anyone AGS...COY regardless in my opinion)
7. ETSU(If the team is not lost after winless conf start they can surprise some teams, better than their record)
8.Mercer (Gutsy win vs. VMI, but with QB out tough to see turn around...could be rallying point but remaining schedule not doing them any favors)
9. Western Carolina (Hope Adams is back, if he is he should play both ways to help that D)

UTC 17 Wofford 40.5
ETSU 31 Samford 42
Mercer 10 Citadel 24
Furman 54 WCU 7

PaladinFan
October 22nd, 2019, 05:57 AM
Let's hope Western shows up on the schedule at a much needed time for Furman.

walliver
October 22nd, 2019, 07:34 AM
Let's hope Western shows up on the schedule at a much needed time for Furman.

Western is a head-scratcher. How can one team be so bad, coach after coach. There may be some recruiting challenges due to their location, but a lot of SoCon teams have varying recruiting challenges and do quite well. They just recently extended Spiers' contact to 5 years, so they are going to have to scrape up some money they don't have, or deal with this another 4 years or so. Despite that, they leads the conference in attendance.

Smitty
October 22nd, 2019, 08:22 AM
Western is a head-scratcher. How can one team be so bad, coach after coach. There may be some recruiting challenges due to their location, but a lot of SoCon teams have varying recruiting challenges and do quite well. They just recently extended Spiers' contact to 5 years, so they are going to have to scrape up some money they don't have, or deal with this another 4 years or so. Despite that, they leads the conference in attendance.

Yup....

You should see the coach show they have, Speir is completely lost.

Milktruck74
October 22nd, 2019, 09:14 AM
Mark Spier is a good man...a good position coach and (I believe) a decent head coach...he is just in a bad spot. In his 7 years at the HC at WCU, he has posted 3 seasons with 7 wins. I know this doesn't seem like much, but given the only other coach to do that is Bob Waters???? It took Waters 20 seasons to amass 4 seasons with 7+ wins. Give Spier 13 more seasons and he will get one more.

Mocs123
October 22nd, 2019, 09:26 AM
It's also a shame that the Catamounts had a player as talented as Tyrie Adams the past four years and couldn't really capitalize on it.

gofurman
October 22nd, 2019, 10:33 AM
It's also a shame that the Catamounts had a player as talented as Tyrie Adams the past four years and couldn't really capitalize on it.

wonder if Adams could play on Sunday as recvr or something?

kdinva
October 22nd, 2019, 11:40 AM
Samford 34; ETSU 27
The Citadel 35; Mercer 27
Wofford 38; UTC 24
Furman 42; WCU 14

Mocs123
October 22nd, 2019, 11:43 AM

Maybe, but if Armani Edwards couldn't cut it (though he did make the roster) my guess is Adams won't. Now if he had played WR all through college perhaps.

Milktruck74
October 22nd, 2019, 12:21 PM

Pierre Garcon....5 guys drafter from D2 last year....D3 guys on rosters.... If you are good enough, they will find you...and if you are really good, you get to stay!!! A QB moving to WR is not as easy as you would think though.

FUBeAR
October 22nd, 2019, 12:58 PM
The Citadel 35; Mercer 27

How ya gonna pick the bellhops over the Bears, when earlier this same month, you watched your Keydets dismantle them in the same half-a-Stadium where they play this week, and you also just 3 days ago saw the Bears’ D keep VMI out of the end zone for 3 quarters, and the Bears’ O, behind the QB that is going to play Sat., rolling up 3 2nd half TD’s to stop VMI’s win streak?

I thought you military types were supposed to be logical.

HootyHoo
October 22nd, 2019, 01:59 PM
So have you guys figured out who's going to come to Kennesaw to get your L yet?

Mocs123
October 22nd, 2019, 02:25 PM
So have you guys figured out who's going to come to Kennesaw to get your L yet?

I'm sorry, we are actually playing out a conference schedule to see who the best team is. Unlike the conglomerate of 4A Highschool teams plus Kennesaw State that makes up the Big South. Why don't you go back and munch on a few more cupcakes and the battle hardened SoCon representative will see you in a regionalized matchup in November.

HootyHoo
October 22nd, 2019, 02:57 PM
I'm sorry, we are actually playing out a conference schedule to see who the best team is. Unlike the conglomerate of 4A Highschool teams plus Kennesaw State that makes up the Big South. Why don't you go back and munch on a few more cupcakes and the battle hardened SoCon representative will see you in a regionalized matchup in November.

No need to apologize. Although KSU's schedule would have been a bit stronger if Furman hadn't bailed out at the last second. You would think the "battle hardened" paladins would be up for the challenge of facing a true FCS powerhouse. Alas, it was not to be.

SCPALADIN
October 22nd, 2019, 03:00 PM
Maybe, but if Armani Edwards couldn't cut it (though he did make the roster) my guess is Adams won't. Now if he had played WR all through college perhaps.

Adams is about three inches taller than Armanti Edwards...you never know.
The CFL is also always in need of good athletes...just look at what Armanti has put together the last two seasons in Toronto.

gofurman
October 22nd, 2019, 03:36 PM
No need to apologize. Although KSU's schedule would have been a bit stronger if Furman hadn't bailed out at the last second. You would think the "battle hardened" paladins would be up for the challenge of facing a true FCS powerhouse. Alas, it was not to be.

I bet we play in playoffs in next few years sometime. good luck the rest of the way - Monmouth or someone may be waiting

Mocs123
October 22nd, 2019, 04:14 PM

A true FCS powerhouse? You do realize that Furman has more playoff wins than KSU will have in the next quarter century, right? Kennesaw State has quickly built a good program quickly, much like Georgia Southern in the early 1980's, but much of that is leveraging a situation in the Big South with an easy path to the playoffs and playing one of the worst OOC schedules in the country. I realize you may not can help what conference you are in, but at least schedule a decent OOC slate if you consider yourself an "Elite FCS Team" - You're starting to sound like the Ivy League who call themselves elite beating a bunch of cupcakes.

Point - They aren't even D1 and they are 2-5
Alabama State - Middle of the pack MEAC team at 3-3
Missouri State 1-5
Reinhart - non D1

PaladinFan
October 22nd, 2019, 04:47 PM
A true FCS powerhouse? You do realize that Furman has more playoff wins than KSU will have in the next quarter century, right? Kennesaw State has quickly built a good program quickly, much like Georgia Southern in the early 1980's, but much of that is leveraging a situation in the Big South with an easy path to the playoffs and playing one of the worst OOC schedules in the country. I realize you may not can help what conference you are in, but at least schedule a decent OOC slate if you consider yourself an "Elite FCS Team" - You're starting to sound like the Ivy League who call themselves elite beating a bunch of cupcakes.

Point - They aren't even D1 and they are 2-5
Alabama State - Middle of the pack MEAC team at 3-3
Missouri State 1-5
Reinhart - non D1

Furman has played in as many national title games as Kennesaw State has playoff wins. So, there's that.

gofurman
October 22nd, 2019, 05:12 PM

Hooty, just some kind advice.. nothing more. It's never going to help to say your team is a true 'FCS Powerhouse' until you have won at least 10 playoff games. I am personally VERY impressed with KSU in what they have done in what ? 5 or 6 years maybe? you certainly got us that time we had a coach who needed to be fired - thanks for helping us move on to Hendrix.. lol
:D. you beat us that time, no denying that fact. but maybe slow up on 'FCS power'. honest question - have you all made the final 4 (semis)? you may have.. i am asking?

gofurman
October 22nd, 2019, 05:13 PM
How ya gonna pick the bellhops over the Bears, when earlier this same month, you watched your Keydets dismantle them in the same half-a-Stadium where they play this week, and you also just 3 days ago saw the Bears’ D keep VMI out of the end zone for 3 quarters, and the Bears’ O, behind the QB that is going to play Sat., rolling up 3 2nd half TD’s to stop VMI’s win streak?

on other hand Citadel beat Furman who crushed Mercer.. there is always a way to figure it I guess... LOL

hope Mercer wins and then Citadel beats Woff and Chatt

ElCid
October 22nd, 2019, 06:14 PM

Well, let me splain it to you. The same way El Cid dismantled the vermin who dismantled same said Mercer team 45-10. Umm, yeah. If your going to exercise your transitive powers, you might as well not be selective.

BearDownMU
October 22nd, 2019, 06:28 PM

Did chattown transfer to KSU?

PaladinFan
October 22nd, 2019, 07:42 PM
Well, let me splain it to you. The same way El Cid dismantled the vermin who dismantled same said Mercer team 45-10. Umm, yeah. If your going to exercise your transitive powers, you might as well not be selective.

Outside of UTC and WCU, I'm not sure there's a team that couldn't transitive property their way to beating any team in the SoCon.

kdinva
October 22nd, 2019, 08:00 PM

no slot predicting, remember?

FUBeAR
October 22nd, 2019, 08:05 PM
on other hand Citadel beat Furman who crushed Mercer.. there is always a way to figure it I guess

Well, let me splain it to you. The same way El Cid dismantled the vermin who dismantled same said Mercer team 45-10.

Irrelevant, meaningless statistics twisted to suit the narrative you want to sell.

Besides...I was talkin’ to kdinva...i.e., who axed you?

FUBeAR
October 22nd, 2019, 08:09 PM
no slot predicting, remember?
+1 - see, now there’s a reasonable answer to my question (I think)

ElCid
October 22nd, 2019, 08:19 PM
Irrelevant, meaningless statistics twisted to suit the narrative you want to sell.

Besides...I was talkin’ to kdinva...i.e., who axed you?

Lol.

gofurman
October 22nd, 2019, 08:24 PM
Outside of UTC and WCU, I'm not sure there's a team that couldn't transitive property their way to beating any team in the SoCon.

this - and probably by 30 if they worked it right.. I mean Furman beat Samford 58-14 so 44 points. Sam beat Citadel by 6 I think. So Furman will obviously beat Citadel by 50 -oh, wait.

A big thing to me is MATCHUPS. that was negates some of the transitive - some teams just defend the pass better (that may be Furman this year as beat Sam and Mercer by 40~. Beat ETSU by only 7 and lost to Citadel).. some defend the run better. Some are more physical etc. I am a basketball fan and matchups come into play there a lot. transitive just aint worth much. some, but not too much

gofurman
October 22nd, 2019, 08:42 PM

Paladinfan, I sent you a PM on gopaladins... thanks for reply in advance

walliver
October 23rd, 2019, 08:14 AM
Actually UTC beat Mercer who beat VMI who beat The Citadel who beat Furman.

I suspect you meant the other Tennessee school that has beaten no-one.

By the way, I tried to find a path to show how The Citadel's win at Georgia Tech would show how awesome the SoCon is, but only managed to demonstrate how weak the ACC is.

Mocs123
October 23rd, 2019, 10:10 AM

kdinva
October 23rd, 2019, 11:16 AM
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20191023105948012452904&ref=rec&tm=&src=FCS (http://VMI's Udinski pass record)

Udinski sets record for attempts w./out int.

gofurman
October 23rd, 2019, 11:32 AM

By the way, I tried to find a path to show how The Citadel's win at Georgia Tech would show how awesome the SoCon is, but only managed to demonstrate how weak the ACC is.

sadly, UTK beat UTC 45-0 ! but Georgia State beat UT by 8 I think and only beat Furman by 6. we could make anyone the winner of SoCon by transitive I think ..

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 23rd, 2019, 12:10 PM
sadly, UTK beat UTC 45-0 ! but Georgia State beat UT by 8 I think and only beat Furman by 6. we could make anyone the winner of SoCon by transitive I think ..

Tennessee beat a Mississippi State team whose defense is coached by former UTK DC Bob "Piece of" Shoop. Tennessee gave Georgia a fight a week earlier. Tennessee had a chance to win if it was not for Maurer's concussion vs. Alabama.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 23rd, 2019, 12:37 PM
I was 1-3 last week. Was hoping ETSU would have pulled it off against Chattanooga but could not get it done offensively. Saw a glimmer of hope in Tuscaloosa (another story for another time). Here's where I have it after last week's games.

1) Chattanooga - Honk if you thought they would be here at this point.
2) Wofford - Slowly but surely finding their way back.
3) Furman - Had their fans saying Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over?
4) The Citadel - May make a late run of it.
5) Samford - Bulldogs took it easy while resting their players.
6) Mercer - May have won the game but lost their leader (#GetWellSoon Robert Riddle)
7) VMI - May have lost the game but their response to Riddle's injury was #FirstClass
8) ETSU - Mike Rader better find ETSU an offense or he will be finding himself out of a job
9) Western Carolina - May soon be facing ETSU in the #SoConToiletBowl

Week 9 Games
ETSU @ Samford - Bucs secure win against injury-plagued Bulldog squad
Chattanooga @ Wofford (Game of the Week) - Terriers return to their rightful place in the SoCon
Mercer @ The Citadel - Bulldogs scrap out another conference win
Furman @ Western Carolina (Beatdown of the Week) - Paladins take out their frustrations and rightfully so.

Mocs123
October 23rd, 2019, 02:32 PM
Chattanooga is currently the #1 team in record only and there is a lot of football to be played. We have a shot to win the conference, but so does an excellent Furman team (despite a setback last week), and a resurgent Wofford squad, as well as dark horse The Citadel.

I wouldn't (and didn't) rank us as the top team in the SoCon. Furman still has been the most dominant team in the conference, and Wofford is playing really well. To be honest, despite their Jekyll and Hyde season, they have two close losses against top 15 teams, a win over a P5 school, and a win against top 10 Furman, so they can clearly beat anyone short of NDSU when they are clicking.

Mocs123
October 23rd, 2019, 02:43 PM
For whatever it's worth, Massey has the following

1. Furman
2. The Citadel
3. Wofford
4. Chattanooga
5. Samford
6. VMI
7. ETSU
8. Mercer
9. Western Carolina

PaladinFan
October 23rd, 2019, 02:53 PM

No, just that UTC hasn't lost to anyone and WCU hasn't beaten anyone.

- - - Updated - - -

For whatever it's worth, Massey has the following

1. Furman
2. The Citadel
3. Wofford
4. Chattanooga
5. Samford
6. VMI
7. ETSU
8. Mercer
9. Western Carolina

I don't totally disagree.

Furman looked bad against the Citadel, but their computer rankings are probably aided by the fact that Georgia State and VT are both 5-2 right now.

gofurman
October 23rd, 2019, 04:08 PM
I was 1-3 last week. Was hoping ETSU would have pulled it off against Chattanooga but could not get it done offensively. Saw a glimmer of hope in Tuscaloosa (another story for another time). Here's where I have it after last week's games.

1) Chattanooga - Honk if you thought they would be here at this point.
2) Wofford - Slowly but surely finding their way back.
3) Furman - Had their fans saying Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over?
4) The Citadel - May make a late run of it.
5) Samford - Bulldogs took it easy while resting their players.
6) Mercer - May have won the game but lost their leader (#GetWellSoon Robert Riddle)
7) VMI - May have lost the game but their response to Riddle's injury was #FirstClass
8) ETSU - Mike Rader better find ETSU an offense or he will be finding himself out of a job
9) Western Carolina - May soon be facing ETSU in the #SoConToiletBowl

Week 9 Games
ETSU @ Samford - Bucs secure win against injury-plagued Bulldog squad
Chattanooga @ Wofford (Game of the Week) - Terriers return to their rightful place in the SoCon
Mercer @ The Citadel - Bulldogs scrap out another conference win
Furman @ Western Carolina (Beatdown of the Week) - Paladins take out their frustrations and rightfully so.

few notes of little significance other than the first one

- I do wish Riddle the best. I never want serious injuries. I only track injuries for the games and my hope that my Paladins can win - nothing more; in FCS injuris can really set you back. Next man up is good but only to a point with limited schollies. Its just a fact. Furman wasn't the same last year without Roberts at QB - you could literally trace our wins and losses to whether he played. Woff had a year of horrid injuries a while back. Furman went to QB 3 or 4 a few years ago. Mercer fell off last year with a spate of injuries at QB etc

- any of Furman, Woff, Chatt and Citadel could possibly get an autobid. as for at-large: Furman may still have a loss to give as an 8-4 Furman team ranked in top20 w TWO FBS losses (decent FBS losses too as VT beat Miami and UNC! and Georgia State beat Army!) is really 8-2 .. take out NAIA POINT and Furman i s 7-2 vs. FCS. Not many 7-2 FCS teams are turned down when ranked and I am pretty sure we would be as we are 14th.. win 4 lose 1 we might still be in the teens. Not sure that's fair on the ranking but that's how them poll peeps vote. I fully admit the voters (COACHES and STATS) scare me with the lack of knowledge at times

- I honestly don't know who I, as a Furman fan want to win Chatt v Woff? Assuming my FU guys get it back together (and if they don't v Western well...) I can't figure what's best for FU? If FU was still undefeated I would say go Chatt! that would eliminate Woff w 2 losses. But now its Chatt 3-0, Woff 3-1, Fur 3-1.

Who do Furman fans want to win Chatt v Woff? Im really asking. Get a loss on Chatt so everyone has one loss? And Woff probably hits top 25 ranking maybe... Or Woff hit w 2 losses in conf but Chatt stays unbeaten. In the latter case Woff could still get the H2H on FU if they beat Furman...

Mocs123
October 24th, 2019, 07:11 AM
I may not be impartial, but I think you want Chattanooga to win :)

gofurman
October 24th, 2019, 01:01 PM
http://www.espn.com/espn/wire?section=ncf&id=27910228

VMI QB's interceptions-free streak is FCS record

"Against Mercer last Saturday, the 6-foot-4 junior pushed his season-opening streak of consecutive passes without an interception to 344, surpassing the FCS single-season and career records of 342 set by Portland State's Jimmy Blanchard in 1999"

Mocs123
October 24th, 2019, 01:56 PM
What Udinski has done has truly been impressive. Cobb was a great passer for them, but also threw a lot of picks. The addition of a running game this year has made them a tough out.

PaladinFan
October 24th, 2019, 02:18 PM
Chattanooga is currently the #1 team in record only and there is a lot of football to be played. We have a shot to win the conference, but so does an excellent Furman team (despite a setback last week), and a resurgent Wofford squad, as well as dark horse The Citadel.

I wouldn't (and didn't) rank us as the top team in the SoCon. Furman still has been the most dominant team in the conference, and Wofford is playing really well. To be honest, despite their Jekyll and Hyde season, they have two close losses against top 15 teams, a win over a P5 school, and a win against top 10 Furman, so they can clearly beat anyone short of NDSU when they are clicking.

What's a little unique right now is that the SoCon schedule is set up to be a battle Royale the last few weeks.

Of the four teams with the most realistic shot at the SoCon title (UTC, Furman, Wofford, the Citadel), the only game played amongst those four teams right now is Cit/Furman. From Nov. 2, there's still UTC/CIT, FU/WC, CIT/UTC, FU/UTC, CIT/WC.

It's rare that the SoCon can figure out a way to have a real conference push late in the season where half the teams aren't playing ACC teams.

gofurman
October 24th, 2019, 08:03 PM
What's a little unique right now is that the SoCon schedule is set up to be a battle Royale the last few weeks.

Of the four teams with the most realistic shot at the SoCon title (UTC, Furman, Wofford, the Citadel), the only game played amongst those four teams right now is Cit/Furman. From Nov. 2, there's still UTC/CIT, FU/WC, CIT/UTC, FU/UTC, CIT/WC.

It's rare that the SoCon can figure out a way to have a real conference push late in the season where half the teams aren't playing ACC teams.

PaladinFan, agree, though I think Chatt has a little harder road than Woff or Furman. Chatt has to play everyone listed plus at Sam and VMI.. niether of which are easy. IE, Chatt has played exactly the bottom 3 conf teams as I am sure you know.

i hope Chatt beats Woff but I suspect Woff wins this week

ElCid
October 24th, 2019, 08:05 PM
Power Ranking:
1) Wofford - Has some nice momentum
2) Chattanooga - They have momentum as well, but the hard part is coming up
3) Furman - Are they consistent enough? Was last week a fluke? Probably.
4) The Citadel - In the groove again. Is it too late?
5) Samford - Who knows
6) VMI - They are going to be gunning for at least a 6-6 record
7) ETSU - They are on the wrong side of the close ones this year
8) Mercer - Going to be hard the rest of season
9) WCU - They are done, this is their new home

Predictions:
Chattanooga @ Wofford - Wofford is rolling a little bit better - 34-21
ETSU @ Samford - When Samford does get going, they go - 38-24
Mercer @ The Citadel - Dogs should control the game - 34-17
Furman at WCU - Furman will try and overachieve - 55-17

Playoffs: Getting clearer, but some mush remaining...some fun and confusing speculation
- The best I see UTC going is 2-3 here on out (it's a tough schedule) to end up 5-3...6-6 and sitting; they might surprise and go 3-2, but I don't think so and I think they will lose at least 2 games to Wofford, Furman and Cid; if they end up at 6-2 they must get auto because 7-5 ain't going to cut an at large
- Furman ending up at 6-2 is not far fetched to end up 8-4...maybe auto, but at large most likely; if they win out, they are golden at 7-1
- I think Wofford loses to either Furman or Cid, not sure which yet, to end at 6-2 to be 7-4 and probably sitting unless they get auto. They beat both and win out conf otherwise, they get auto at 7-1 No at large chance ..... unless they beat Clemson.
- The Citadel has to win out and get help. If they do, they could sneak in and grab Auto at 6-2 with Ws over Furman, possibly at 6-2 and Wofford, possibly at 6-2. They need Samford and VMI to lose as well. They lose one game and they are done at 7-5. If they win out at 8-4, 6-2 and Furman grabs auto at 7-1, they have outside shot at 8-4 for an at large with their P5 scalp.
- VMI is still alive for auto as well at 3-2, but they need help and they need to win out (WCU probably, UTC maybe, Furman tough)...if by some wild hair, they end up totally winning out and beating Army, but don't get auto, at 8-4, a Cinderella "at large" possible for the "darling" factor
- Samford is alive as well with ETSU, Mercer, UTC and WCU. They need to win out and have Wofford lose and Furman lose a couple. They have easiest schedule remaining. Getting to 6-2 is easily achievable. No at large chance.
- Although Mercer is also at 2 loses and has possibilities, I just don't see them recovering

We could have the annual SOCON fur ball to contend with for sure.

SUPharmacist
October 24th, 2019, 08:07 PM
ETSU
Chattanooga
Mercer
Furman

ElCid
October 24th, 2019, 08:09 PM
ETSU
Chattanooga
Mercer
Furman

You do know Mercer lost their starting QB last week for the season, right?

SUPharmacist
October 24th, 2019, 08:44 PM

I don't know anything. Also, I cursed Furman, just be happy I am not cursing you.

PaladinFan
October 24th, 2019, 09:05 PM

Mercer is also a team that tends to sneak up and bite teams every season.

Mocs123
October 24th, 2019, 09:13 PM
Also, while losing Riddle will hurt Mercer, they have a fully capable and experienced backup. I think he was SoCon freshman of the year two years ago.

FUBeAR
October 24th, 2019, 10:23 PM
You do know Mercer lost their starting QB last week for the season, right?VMI must not have known either...

Player
Cmp
Att.
Yds.
TD
Int.
Long

Robert Riddle (https://mercerbears.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6883)

Kaelan Riley (https://mercerbears.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6884)

...but I hear ya; after all, who has VMI beaten? Oh, wait... xscanx

ElCid
October 24th, 2019, 10:25 PM
Also, while losing Riddle will hurt Mercer, they have a fully capable and experienced backup. I think he was SoCon freshman of the year two years ago.

I get it, and backups have been known to outshine the starter...Hodges...but I think this will not be as seamless as they would like. But we will see.

ElCid
October 24th, 2019, 11:07 PM
...but I hear ya; after all, who has VMI beaten? Oh, wait... xscanx

They beat the team that demolished Furman. Yeah that's the ticket.xnodx

FUBeAR
October 25th, 2019, 04:57 AM
They, just this month, blistered a bellhops team, playing in their own half-a-stadium home, that, quite surprisingly, somewhat recently, outscored an unusually ineffective Furman Offense. Yeah that's the ticket.xnodxhmmm...well....didya ever think about the possibility that Mercer’s game with Furman, which happened about 12 weeks or so ago, would have gone differently if Riley, instead of Riddle, had been playing QB for Mercer?

https://i.giphy.com/media/G3RADTvwFIn96/giphy.gif

PaladinFan
October 25th, 2019, 05:18 AM
Are you talking about the football game? From a month ago?

Mercer's primary issue isn't a QB problem. QB is fine.

FUBeAR
October 25th, 2019, 05:35 AM
Are you talking about the football game? From a month ago?

Mercer's primary issue isn't a QB problem. QB is fine.

As previously noted in this thread...
who axed you?

Scrappy94
October 25th, 2019, 09:41 AM
1. Chattanooga
2. Furman
3. Wofford
4. The Citadel
5. Samford
6. VMI
7. Mercer
8. ETSU
9. Western Carolina

ETSU @ Samford
Chattanooga @ Wofford
Mercer @ The Citadel
Furman @ Western Carolina

gofurman
October 25th, 2019, 01:10 PM
just gonna say really lookin' forward to watching Chatt Woff tomorrow before our Furman game - I THINK I am pulling for Chatt

Mocs123
October 25th, 2019, 01:33 PM
Well then I hope you're happy at the end of the game!

gofurman
October 25th, 2019, 02:36 PM
Well then I hope you're happy at the end of the game!

hey, to ANY Chatt fan... any of the RBs ( Price or Ibi) or the OT Moon or anyone back? Maybe a better question = whats the update on all these guys?

Saw Nunnly played v ETSU so he is probably getting better by now..

also, in this quote I saw from a Chatt guy who is the 'best D player'?? - "Our best returning defensive player is playing with not one, but two clubs (to be honest, I'm not sure how he tackles anyone). ... LB - Kam Jones, who started vs. EIU and has been injured since, may be back soon?

Kam Jones back yet?

you all have some injuries for sure. curious status of any of these guys - thanks in advance for your reply !!!

Mocs123
October 25th, 2019, 07:17 PM
Price, Wood, Moon, and Tucker are gone for the year. We might get Ibi back this week, the last I heard he was week to week.

Kam Jones is back and Marshall Cooper has at least one of his casts off.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 25th, 2019, 08:40 PM
- I do wish Riddle the best. I never want serious injuries. I only track injuries for the games and my hope that my Paladins can win - nothing more; in FCS injuris can really set you back. Next man up is good but only to a point with limited schollies. Its just a fact. Furman wasn't the same last year without Roberts at QB - you could literally trace our wins and losses to whether he played. Woff had a year of horrid injuries a while back. Furman went to QB 3 or 4 a few years ago. Mercer fell off last year with a spate of injuries at QB etc

I agree with you. Crappy QB play on account of injuries (Thrasher, Weldon) and one up and leaving (Cameron Lewis) has seriously affected our performance. Personally, I would like to see the two freshmen (Riddell and Houston) play to see what in the world we got at this point with these guys. Heck, why not start Malik McGue to see what we got in him at QB. If ETSU does not improve offensively, maybe it's time we should look at getting a new OC.

Milktruck74
October 25th, 2019, 08:56 PM
You will probably see a few Mocs tomorrow that you haven't seen yet. A ton of casualties this season...and the rest are the walking wounded. I realize no team is 100% at this point, but this is the most decimated I've seen a football team in quite some time. We probably will travel 9 guys for the OL. The starting 5 and 3 true freshman that haven't played a down all season and a Junior walk-on. The cupboard is BARE!!!!

Milktruck74
October 25th, 2019, 09:04 PM
I agree with you. Crappy QB play on account of injuries (Thrasher, Weldon) and one up and leaving (Cameron Lewis) has seriously affected our performance. Personally, I would like to see the two freshmen (Riddell and Houston) play to see what in the world we got at this point with these guys. Heck, why not start Malik McGue to see what we got in him at QB. If ETSU does not improve offensively, maybe it's time we should look at getting a new OC.

You don't want to get rid of Mike. He is ag good of an OC as you will find. HE is working with a crap ton stacked against him. The guy knows how to produce numbers, and given some time (more than a half season) he will have ETSU cracking.

gofurman
October 25th, 2019, 10:26 PM
Price, Wood, Moon, and Tucker are gone for the year. We might get Ibi back this week, the last I heard he was week to week.

Kam Jones is back and Marshall Cooper has at least one of his casts off.

Mocs123, thanks a lot for reply ! also, your 2 deep at UTC is SO MUCH better than ours or anyone elses for that matter.

It lists the starter that was - if they are out for year and the replacement (like it says MOON out for year at OT.). Other schools are lucky to list who is playing THIS week . LOL. So if you don't follow a team until they are your opponent you don't know if they are missing guys or not. with UTC you know. Your two deep actually shows where a guy was lost - that is AMAZING ! I almost never see that !

Here is my example: (Furman two deep would NEVER be this good). NEVER. -
RT 74 Colin Truett .................6-3 .........275 .......Fr.-TR ..........Lebanon, Ohio ...................Transfer from Cincinnati ... started last three games
65 Gabe Dew ...................6-5 .........290 ........Jr.-2L ..........Knoxville, Tenn .................................................. In his fourth year in the program
75 Harrison Moon ..........6-5 .........290 .......Sr.-1L ..........Signal Mountain, Tenn ..........................Out for the season ... injured vs. JMU

so a fan like me of FU can easily see there was a guy who was obviously playing there at OT (Moon) and now he is not. Look at other schools 2 deep you would jsut see Truett and Dew listed. No idea you had lost a guy (and your best at that). Not only that your two deep says 'out for season'. Most would never go into that detail.

VERY VERY IMPRESSIVE of UTC

gofurman
October 25th, 2019, 10:50 PM
You will probably see a few Mocs tomorrow that you haven't seen yet. A ton of casualties this season...and the rest are the walking wounded. I realize no team is 100% at this point, but this is the most decimated I've seen a football team in quite some time. We probably will travel 9 guys for the OL. The starting 5 and 3 true freshman that haven't played a down all season and a Junior walk-on. The cupboard is BARE!!!!

Yeah, you guys have had it tough. you say the 5 OL starters but wasn't Moon a starter at OT? and he is out for year too?

FUBeAR
October 26th, 2019, 01:06 AM
Welp...we’ve reached the point in the season when these Power Rankings should not be at all influenced by phony pre-season hype / wildly uninformed pre-season dart throwing (AKA, pre-season polls) and when they should not be just a re-statement of the current SoCon standings. Heck, my dog can pull up a website & copy/paste the standings here. She is an AGS Member, but she’s really not very smart, as dogs go. These Power Rankings should also be informed enough to consider the impact of season-ending injuries to key players along with the capability of the replacements for those players. And, finally, they should be informed enough to evaluate & appropriately discount scheduling competitiveness variation and single game anomalies, such as FU’s loss to the bellhops or the bellhops’ win over a P5 Team. With that stated, here are FUBeAR’s TRUE Power Rankings...

1) Furman - found a few chinks in the Knight’s armor, but I have no doubt those will be welded & the only things lost last week were pride and a smoother route through the Playoffs.

2) Wofford - due to scheduling competitiveness variation, I ain’t real comfortable putting the miniyappers here, but I think they have a few game-changing athletes on O and their Coaches have finally become smart enough not to get in the way of them displaying their talents, in quantities substantial enough to overcome, what I still believe is, a highly suspect D...usually. We’ll know more about that variable after this Saturday.

3) Chattanooga - 2019 version of 2018 ETSU - not really very good, but when it’s all said & done, they find a way to outlast their opponents from week to week.

4) bellhops - The SoCon’s Version of “old man strength.” When you utilize a circa 1962 O & your opponents refuse to deploy a 1962 D to stop it, you can win a few ballgames. VMI was smart enough (and not too arrogant) to watch their own game films from that era & scheme accordingly. Other W’s on the bellhops’ schedule reflect Teams whose Defensive Staffs applies the (losing, IMO) pseudo-macho axiom of, “We do what we do...” On the other side of the ball, the bellhops’ D is talented & aggressive enough to be effective against an O that doesn’t or can’t make them pay for the risks that they take. They will give you plenty of opportunities to beat them, but if you don’t (or can’t) capitalize on those opportunities, they will make you pay for your failure to. VMI made them pay for their dice-rolls. I sure hope Mercer’s Coaches watched that vid over & over this week & said, “Yep...let’s do THAT.” ...instead of WDWWD.

5) Mercer - the Bears have the broadest ‘expected variance’ of any Team in the SoCon. They could sit anywhere from #2 to #8 on a TRUE Power Ranking. That’s why I settled on #5 ((2+8)/2). If Riley plays up to his potential, the Bears will be fine @ QB, despite the loss of Riddle to a horrible injury. Receivers (Petersen (as predicted by FUBeAR this summer), True FR McKee, and TE Ellington) are stepping up to fill in for the game-changing talent of most-likely-out-for-the-year WR/KR Durden. Also, I believe they have Players on the roster who are capable of filling in quite adequately for top-tackler, LB Coneway, who was lost for the rest of the season (I think) early against VMI last week. We saw what a difference a healthy Devezin makes last week & that was coupled with some OL personnel changes, injury recoveries (2 starters), and I believe I saw some technique / effort enhancements in there as well. They can be better than #2-#4 and they can easily lose to #6-#8...hence, #5.

6) VMI - Yes, they lost to #2 & to #5, but they are clearly capable of thrashing #4. I have no doubt they could beat #3...and upsetting #1 is not entirely beyond their grasp. This is a solid, very well-coached Football Team that just needs a little more speed & talent on D to compete regularly with the best in the SoCon.

7) ETSU - tough call between Samford & ETSU for this spot. If they could combine their Teams, I think they would easily come in at #2, maybe even #1. Because I heard one time that “Defense wins Championships,” (though I’ve never heard of a Championship Game ending in a 2-0 score), I’ll force-rank the land-locked-we-defend-our-ship-and-can’t-board-yours-swashbucklers over the helpless(on D)hounds.

8) Samford - See above

9) WCU - why beat a dead cat (off the field, that is)? I think we’re supposed to swing them; not beat them, anyway...something like that. Oh - I hear WCU has filed a complaint with the SoCon Office though - something about the grass on woffy’s field being “too thick.” Honestly, that’s what their SID blamed Adams injury on. 56:36 - listen for yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcZL2Lq0No8

Picks

ETSU @ Samford - Bullpups D rises up enough to take this one @ Home & I sense ETSU just might start ‘mailin’ it in’ for the rest of the season - 31-28

Chattanooga @ Wofford (Game of the Week) - I could barely see the top of Lincoln’s Head when I checked the tread of the tires on the Mocs’ new Ford, but that’s enough to keep driving. He’ll be runnin’ on the steel belts after Saturday. Not that they are great, but Chatt’s D is far better than any of the ones woffy has faced since SC State, with the exception of ETSU’s, who thought the game started at halftime, after which they held the anklegnawers to a single score. 24-21 (PK goes 1 for 1 - an 18 yarder).

Mercer @ The Citadel - Clearly reveling in their HUGE upset last week (pretty much a huge upset anytime the bellhops win at anything over FU), the SamsoniteSlingers have bearly even thought about Mercer this week. I’ve already seen them talking about their end-of-the-season showdown with Woffy for the SoCon Championship and saying their “convincing win over Mercer last year” combined with Riddle’s injury gives them no reason to even worry the least bit about not romping over the Bears....Except in that “convincing win,” the bellhops never led in the 1st 55 minutes, often trailed by double digits, and bearly won by 1 score. And...the last time Riley started a game in Hagood Half-a-Stadium, he beat the bellhops by double digits. Behind Devezin, Riley, a committee of excellent receivers, and a smart Defensive game plan, the Bears rise up and bite the bellhops, 24-14

https://images.gr-assets.com/hostedimages/1522256170ra/25285884.gif

Furman @ Western Carolina (Beatdown of the Week) - Adams wisely sits this one out & Paladins roll 60-7

gofurman
October 26th, 2019, 01:44 AM
Welp...we’ve reached the point in the season when these Power Rankings should not be at all influenced by phony pre-season hype / wildly uninformed pre-season dart throwing (AKA, pre-season polls) and when they should not be just a re-statement of the current SoCon standings. Heck, my dog can pull up a website & copy/paste the standings here. She is an AGS Member, but she’s really not very smart, as dogs go. These Power Rankings should also be informed enough to consider the impact of season-ending injuries to key players along with the capability of the replacements for those players. And, finally, they should be informed enough to evaluate & appropriately discount scheduling competitiveness variation and single game anomalies, such as FU’s loss to the bellhops or the bellhops’ win over a P5 Team. With that stated, here are FUBeAR’s TRUE Power Rankings...

1) Furman - found a few chinks in the Knight’s armor, but I have no doubt those will be welded & the only things lost last week were pride and a smoother route through the Playoffs.

2) Wofford - due to scheduling competitiveness variation, I ain’t real comfortable putting the miniyappers here, but I think they have a few game-changing athletes on O and their Coaches have finally become smart enough not to get in the way of them displaying their talents, in quantities substantial enough to overcome, what I still believe is, a highly suspect D...usually. We’ll know more about that variable after this Saturday.

3) Chattanooga - 2019 version of 2018 ETSU - not really very good, but when it’s all said & done, they find a way to outlast their opponents from week to week.

4) bellhops - The SoCon’s Version of “old man strength.” When you utilize a circa 1962 O & your opponents refuse to deploy a 1962 D to stop it, you can win a few ballgames. VMI was smart enough (and not too arrogant) to watch their own game films from that era & scheme accordingly. Other W’s on the bellhops’ schedule reflect Teams whose Defensive Staffs applies the (losing, IMO) pseudo-macho axiom of, “We do what we do...” On the other side of the ball, the bellhops’ D is talented & aggressive enough to be effective against an O that doesn’t or can’t make them pay for the risks that they take. They will give you plenty of opportunities to beat them, but if you don’t (or can’t) capitalize on those opportunities, they will make you pay for your failure to. VMI made them pay for their dice-rolls. I sure hope Mercer’s Coaches watched that vid over & over this week & said, “Yep...let’s do THAT.” ...instead of WDWWD.

5) Mercer - the Bears have the broadest ‘expected variance’ of any Team in the SoCon. They could sit anywhere from #2 to #8 on a TRUE Power Ranking. That’s why I settled on #5 ((2+8)/2). If Riley plays up to his potential, the Bears will be fine @ QB, despite the loss of Riddle to a horrible injury. Receivers (Petersen (as predicted by FUBeAR this summer), True FR McKee, and TE Ellington) are stepping up to fill in for the game-changing talent of most-likely-out-for-the-year WR/KR Durden. Also, I believe they have Players on the roster who are capable of filling in quite adequately for top-tackler, LB Coneway, who was lost for the rest of the season (I think) early against VMI last week. We saw what a difference a healthy Devezin makes last week & that was coupled with some OL personnel changes, injury recoveries (2 starters), and I believe I saw some technique / effort enhancements in there as well. They can be better than #2-#4 and they can easily lose to #6-#8...hence, #5.

6) VMI - Yes, they lost to #2 & to #5, but they are clearly capable of thrashing #4. I have no doubt they could beat #3...and upsetting #1 is not entirely beyond their grasp. This is a solid, very well-coached Football Team that just needs a little more speed & talent on D to compete regularly with the best in the SoCon.

7) ETSU - tough call between Samford & ETSU for this spot. If they could combine their Teams, I think they would easily come in at #2, maybe even #1. Because I heard one time that “Defense wins Championships,” (though I’ve never heard of a Championship Game ending in a 2-0 score), I’ll force-rank the land-locked-we-defend-our-ship-and-can’t-board-yours-swashbucklers over the helpless(on D)hounds.

8) Samford - See above

9) WCU - why beat a dead cat (off the field, that is)? I think we’re supposed to swing them; not beat them, anyway...something like that. Oh - I hear WCU has filed a complaint with the SoCon Office though - something about the grass on woffy’s field being “too thick.” Honestly, that’s what their SID blamed Adams injury on. 56:36 - listen for yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcZL2Lq0No8

Picks

ETSU @ Samford - Bullpups D rises up enough to take this one @ Home & I sense ETSU just might start ‘mailin’ it in’ for the rest of the season - 31-28

Chattanooga @ Wofford (Game of the Week) - I could barely see the top of Lincoln’s Head when I checked the tread of the tires on the Mocs’ new Ford, but that’s enough to keep driving. He’ll be runnin’ on the steel belts after Saturday. Not that they are great, but Chatt’s D is far better than any of the ones woffy has faced since SC State, with the exception of ETSU’s, who thought the game started at halftime, after which they held the anklegnawers to a single score. 24-21 (PK goes 1 for 1 - an 18 yarder).

Mercer @ The Citadel - Clearly reveling in their HUGE upset last week (pretty much a huge upset anytime the bellhops win at anything over FU), the SamsoniteSlingers have bearly even thought about Mercer this week. I’ve already seen them talking about their end-of-the-season showdown with Woffy for the SoCon Championship and saying their “convincing win over Mercer last year” combined with Riddle’s injury gives them no reason to even worry the least bit about not romping over the Bears....Except in that “convincing win,” the bellhops never led in the 1st 55 minutes, often trailed by double digits, and bearly won by 1 score. And...the last time Riley started a game in Hagood Half-a-Stadium, he beat the bellhops by double digits. Behind Devezin, Riley, a committee of excellent receivers, and a smart Defensive game plan, the Bears rise up and bite the bellhops, 24-14

https://images.gr-assets.com/hostedimages/1522256170ra/25285884.gif

Furman @ Western Carolina (Beatdown of the Week) - Adams wisely sits this one out & Paladins roll 60-7

that Citadel write up is painful for Furman fans. because it’s spot on as to our short comings last week :D

Mocs123
October 26th, 2019, 08:10 AM
Yeah, you guys have had it tough. you say the 5 OL starters but wasn't Moon a starter at OT? and he is out for year too?

Yes, Moon is out for the year (ACL surgery about a month ago) - He's including freshman Colin Truett who has started at RT since Moon's injury as a starter.

Our offense's injury situation is starting to look like Furman teams from a couple of years ago.

I wouldn't 100% trust our Game Notes either - Ibi has been listed as second string the whole time he's been injured and hasn't dressed. Some of it may be they didn't have a clear timeline on how long he would be out. My guess is he'll either be back this week vs Wofford, next week vs Furman, or the week after vs. Samford. I'd also guess that if he isn't back this week, we may see a second true freshman at running back today, as Ford is the scholarship back available today thats taken a snap all year. We're down 3 - Price, Ibitokun-Hanks, and Wood II. We have two other true freshman backs, one of whom dressed vs. ETSU but did not play, and a Senior walk on that has a few mop up minute carries.

PaladinFan
October 26th, 2019, 10:36 AM
Furman just can't let Citadel beat them twice.

I just look at this in the long game. Furman is still one of the league's younger teams and a large portion of the two deep are freshmen and sophomores (including virtually the entire offensive backfield). Sometimes you gotta take a few lumps and realize that games like last week may pay dividends down the road. These boys have to learn to play in games like that.

They are talented, but they'll have ups and downs. Let's right the ship today.

gofurman
October 26th, 2019, 03:00 PM
FU - STEP UP

PaladinFan
October 26th, 2019, 03:19 PM
FU - STEP UP

Don't live and die on every play. It's a long game. Furman has surrendered opening scores against just about every team they've played before setting in defensively.

- - - Updated - - -

Atkins hits a 55 yarder from the Catamount logo.

No joke, he might be one of the best kickers I've ever seen at any level of college ball.

kdinva
October 26th, 2019, 03:26 PM
Woffy ties it with UTC with 19 seconds left in regulation.

Citadel scores, retakes lead over Mercer, 27-24; 8:33 in the 4th.

gofurman
October 26th, 2019, 03:30 PM
Don't live and die on every play. It's a long game. Furman has surrendered opening scores against just about every team they've played before setting in defensively.

- - - Updated - - -

Atkins hits a 55 yarder from the Catamount logo.

No joke, he might be one of the best kickers I've ever seen at any level of college ball.

i know.. but sometimes I wish our TEAM WOULD live or die on every play. after the 4th down stop of WCU just now they kinda walked off. no jumping up and down - GET PUMPED PALADINS ! dont just walk off.. ho hum

also we stop them but have another 4th and 1 we cant convert - penetration by WCU like Cit last week. i suspect we win but

and.. blackshear already in the medical tent - GREAT - and Grainger with TONS OF TIME.. shorthops another ball. . not looking good throwing agian. if we don't start completing open passes we will lose 2 games

kdinva
October 26th, 2019, 03:33 PM
Joe newman runs 25 yards for TD on 1st play in OT. 35-28

UTC's turn

Mocs score on a 3 yard run, go for two, and fail.

woffy wins 35-34

PaladinFan
October 26th, 2019, 03:51 PM
i know.. but sometimes I wish our TEAM WOULD live or die on every play. after the 4th down stop of WCU just now they kinda walked off. no jumping up and down - GET PUMPED PALADINS ! dont just walk off.. ho hum

also we stop them but have another 4th and 1 we cant convert - penetration by WCU like Cit last week. i suspect we win but

and.. blackshear already in the medical tent - GREAT - and Grainger with TONS OF TIME.. shorthops another ball. . not looking good throwing agian. if we don't start completing open passes we will lose 2 games

Relax.

No one is more invested in the outcome of the game than the players and coaches.

kdinva
October 26th, 2019, 04:02 PM
Final: The Citadel 35; Mercer 24.

Dogs with 380 yards rushing.

since the VMI game, none of Citadel's opponents have tried the defensive scheme VMI used in Charleston. Keydets used an old fashioned, Bud Wilkinson type 5-3 defensive front, daring Citadel to pass.

gofurman
October 26th, 2019, 04:07 PM
Relax.

No one is more invested in the outcome of the game than the players and coaches.

i think we win.. but Tyrie does look better passing in rain than we do. We just really seem affected by it.

PaladinFan
October 26th, 2019, 04:10 PM
i think we win.. but Tyrie does look better passing in rain than we do. We just really seem affected by it.

Tyrie Adams is the best QB in the league. He is going to complete passes.

gofurman
October 26th, 2019, 04:37 PM
Tyrie Adams is the best QB in the league. He is going to complete passes.

not snarky bud, just other QBs I am watching around nation (not just Tyrie) in FCS just don't seem as phased by 'weather' as us. We are just a bad passing team in rain. Other QBs dont seem as phased as us.. I am watching some other games; BETTER teams (read Citadel) will stack box and be more succesful than western and we have to make them pay for 8 in box etc. last week we had guys WIDE open - I just don't want to have to worry about rain. I guess we couldn't be the Packers where they thrive in the snow xnodx - football is meant to be in slop and rain and snow

gofurman
October 26th, 2019, 04:51 PM
on another front - ETSU from conference champs to 0-5 in SoCon in one year... still have great D players but O cant threaten anyone

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 26th, 2019, 05:23 PM
on another front - ETSU from conference champs to 0-5 in SoCon in one year... still have great D players but O cant threaten anyone

Gee, wonder why? I thought we had a good QB in Mitchell but he can't get it done (probably this year's Logan Marchi). Thrasher is probably gone for the year and Cameron Lewis (our other QB who saw meaningful game time at QB) up and left a few weeks ago (wonder why). Is just about sorely tempted to nominate someone I know extraordinarily well to be ETSU's next OC. The thing is I have to clear it with someone first before going public.

PaladinFan
October 26th, 2019, 05:37 PM
not snarky bud, just other QBs I am watching around nation (not just Tyrie) in FCS just don't seem as phased by 'weather' as us. We are just a bad passing team in rain. Other QBs dont seem as phased as us.. I am watching some other games; BETTER teams (read Citadel) will stack box and be more succesful than western and we have to make them pay for 8 in box etc. last week we had guys WIDE open - I just don't want to have to worry about rain. I guess we couldn't be the Packers where they thrive in the snow xnodx - football is meant to be in slop and rain and snow

You worry too much.

The only FCS team to score more than 14 against Furman's defense is the Citadel, and we handed them a short field on at least two of their scores. You don't have to score 45 when you are giving up a handful of points every game.

gofurman
October 26th, 2019, 06:27 PM
You worry too much.

The only FCS team to score more than 14 against Furman's defense is the Citadel, and we handed them a short field on at least two of their scores. You don't have to score 45 when you are giving up a handful of points every game.

You may be right. I guess I do look at conf standing whichh. are relevant now. We have played the bottom teams - Furman. Woff. Chatt. Citadel and VMI are top 5. We’ve played one. That’s our loss. If we win next week I’ll feel a lot better. i actually don’t worry about VMI as much. Weaker run D plays into our hands. But Chatt and Woff will be what determine our fate. I’ll be REALLY impressed if we hold Chatt and Woff to 14. But I hope we do! Have noticed that physical teams and best DL/LB are tougher for us - ETSU and Citadel.

Personally I think we need to score 20-30 to beat Chatt. My worthless opinion 😊. Agree our D has been great !!!

Chatt is hurt w OT and RBs out but the young RB looks good -we better tackle ! - so they coulda beat Woff. Woff has played and beat VMI and Chatt. We haven’t played either yet. Really hope we beat Chatt !

kdinva
October 26th, 2019, 07:26 PM
Tyrie Adams is the best QB in the league.

can't wait to see this lad next week in person.....

PaladinFan
October 26th, 2019, 08:58 PM

Hendrix noted in the post game that with #12 in the game, WCU is just a different animal. He was sharp in the passing game and didn't seem to be favoring his foot too much until late in the contest when Furman started getting home on some of the pressure.

gofurman
October 26th, 2019, 10:00 PM

you might not see him.. Furman knocked him out of game w his foot / ankle - it was probably a repeat of injury at Wofford. If you do see him he may not be 100% or else you should try to hit him and it may aggravate the injury. nothing dirty.. we just sacked him and one of the tackles did that. get him out of game they arent the same

gofurman
October 26th, 2019, 10:03 PM
Gee, wonder why? I thought we had a good QB in Mitchell but he can't get it done (probably this year's Logan Marchi). Thrasher is probably gone for the year and Cameron Lewis (our other QB who saw meaningful game time at QB) up and left a few weeks ago (wonder why). Is just about sorely tempted to nominate someone I know extraordinarily well to be ETSU's next OC. The thing is I have to clear it with someone first before going public.

I wasn't picking on you. question - the Thrasher kid from Coastal, does he graduate this year? or can he get a redshirt? You have the Miami FLorida transfer (!) for 3 years right? or is it 2 more now for Weldon? Asking how much eligibility those two guys have as I assume the Miami kid took a redshirt this year?

I know Thrasher was a senior but wasn't sure if he coulda used a redshir this year?

Mocs123
October 27th, 2019, 06:00 AM
Joe newman runs 25 yards for TD on 1st play in OT. 35-28

UTC's turn

Mocs score on a 3 yard run, go for two, and fail.

woffy wins 35-34

This one is going to haunt us. We had it, just dropped the pass in the end zone. Henderson had two really good catches in the game, that would have been his easiest catch all night.

Well, time to move on to the game next week against a good Paladin team

PaladinFan
October 27th, 2019, 07:07 AM
This one is going to haunt us. We had it, just dropped the pass in the end zone. Henderson had two really good catches in the game, that would have been his easiest catch all night.

Here's hoping for a dry day in Chattanooga.

Mocs123
October 27th, 2019, 07:22 AM
That's funny, I was starting to hope for a monsoon! :)

On a serious note, the Wofford game was a great football game. We should have won in OT, but we didn't and that's why you play the game. I'm hoping for an equally good game this weekend, just with a differnt outcome. I think you will see a more physical Chattanooga team then you have seen the past couple of years, so it should be a good game.

walliver
October 27th, 2019, 08:38 AM

Was he the intended receiver. On the replay, it looked like the receiver behind him was the target. With two receivers going for the ball, I suspect he became distracted.

Mocs123
October 27th, 2019, 08:47 AM
I've only seen the replay one time, but I believe McKinnon, the receiver in the back of the endzone was the intended target, but my guess is only Tiano knows. That doesn't take away from the fact that it hit Henderson in the hands and he dropped it.

Good game by the Terriers.

Edit: watching it again I now believe Henderson was the intended target. Dang, that is painful to watch!

PaladinFan
October 27th, 2019, 12:08 PM
This is over simplifying, but it sure seems like Wofford's offense is basically Joe Newman.

PaladinFan
October 27th, 2019, 12:13 PM
That's funny, I was starting to hope for a monsoon! :)

On a serious note, the Wofford game was a great football game. We should have won in OT, but we didn't and that's why you play the game. I'm hoping for an equally good game this weekend, just with a differnt outcome. I think you will see a more physical Chattanooga team then you have seen the past couple of years, so it should be a good game.

It'll be an interesting matchup. Two really physical teams.

As it stands, I think Furman is a little better on both sides of the ball. The offense has been a work in progress, but the defense has shown up every game. The Paladin D is surrendering a pretty minuscule 13.1 ppg in SoCon play, so scoring may be at a premium.

ElCid
October 27th, 2019, 12:14 PM
This is over simplifying, but it sure seems like Wofford's offense is basically Joe Newman.

Are we any different with Rainey? I think it is a bit oversimplification. It depends on the game. Sometimes the QB just keeps it.

gofurman
October 27th, 2019, 02:37 PM

they have a great OL. once they figured out not to fix what wasn't broken they are running well. one encouraging thing for FU v Chatt is Woff ran for 300 yards on Chatt. Fu has to be able to run the ball to win.

I am almost sure Chatt will put an extra defender on run support v FU

walliver
October 28th, 2019, 08:53 AM
The Wofford offense is more than just Joe Newman. We have a number of speedy backs, but the load is shared among them, so few have the chance to put up good numbers. Chattanooga took away a lot of the outside runs that were successful the last few weeks. We also have speedy receivers, but don't really have a way to get the ball to them downfield. Our offense currently reminds me a little of Georgia Southern in 2007. It's a new offense that doesn't completely match the skill set of our best athlete.

FUBeAR
October 28th, 2019, 09:04 AM
The Wofford offense is more than just Joe Newman. We have a number of speedy backs, but the load is shared among them, so few have the chance to put up good numbers. Chattanooga took away a lot of the outside runs that were successful the last few weeks. We also have speedy receivers, but don't really have a way to get the ball to them downfield. Our offense currently reminds me a little of Georgia Southern in 2007. It's a new offense that doesn't completely match the skill set of our best athlete.Agree - Newman, VanDyke or VanArsdale or whatever are absolute waterbugs with the ball in their hands. Morgan is as solid as he’s always been & there are a few others that tote the rock well. OLine is good; perhaps a touch overrated, but still strong. Woffy’s, adaptation of their old O (read “return to their old O”) is quite formidable - a good test for most any FCS D. Still very skeptical about the mini-dog D, though.

PaladinFan
October 28th, 2019, 09:04 AM
they have a great OL. once they figured out not to fix what wasn't broken they are running well. one encouraging thing for FU v Chatt is Woff ran for 300 yards on Chatt. Fu has to be able to run the ball to win.

I am almost sure Chatt will put an extra defender on run support v FU

Anyone playing Furman is going to load the box and force Grainger to throw until he proves he can consistently beat them. He's proven in the past that he can, and I think the risk there is Furman could run out to a big lead on you. That's still the best way to limit the Paladin offense.

What I was glad to see on Saturday was a few more wrinkles than we saw against the Citadel. The staff was more comfortable letting Grainger run the ball, which he did well. They also mixed in some screens, which I really think we need to see more of.