PDA

View Full Version : #1 NDSU @ #3 SDSU (Battle for the Dakota Marker 2019)

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 29th, 2019, 01:32 PM
You don't fire a coach that has gotten you to the semi-finals two years in a row. No one has gotten over the hump to beat NDSU. It's not an SDSU problem. They just happen to be the rival that actually competes. Heck most teams can't compete for 1 quarter against NDSU.

I also think that within a few seasons SDSU will get over the hump and win the nat'l championship.

They certainly laid the groundwork for it. The stadium and IPF are top notch.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 29th, 2019, 01:34 PM
That's not illegal, unless the rules have changed recently.

This here.

Holding is a big one for me. OL especially. It is not holding if it is between the arm pits. Outside of that and around the back it is.

TheKingpin28
October 29th, 2019, 01:39 PM
Just stop talking.

1. We had 5 LBs on the field. Tetzlaff is the 5th LB on the depth chart and doesn't play DE at all. Ever. There was another LB outside of him because the TE motioned to that side.
2. The TE just beat him on this play, plain and simple. If he holds his ground, we had a chance of stopping that play or keeping it to a minimum at least.
3. The coaches were thinking NDSU would run a QB sneak or dive play, that's what they planned for. NDSU made a great play call and decided to go off tackle, which can be risky because it takes longer for the RB to get to the LOS. However, NDSU executed it perfectly. Hats of to them.
4. So, we've made the playoffs 7 times in a row, semifinals 2 years in a row, and were tied with NDSU with 2:42 left in the game... something no team has been even close to doing this year. Not to mention, 2 out of 3 of NDSU's last losses were to SDSU. All of that, and you think we need a coaching change. By your measure, every single program that ever plays NDSU should change their coach.
5. See my preface to these 5 points.Where we were sitting, (25yd close to students away side) we ALL thought it was going to be a QB sneak. Cant blame the coaches for buying what EVERYONE IN THE STADIUM, sans Roehl was seeing. Both teams made the right call for what they saw, one just guessed right.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

CappinHard
October 29th, 2019, 01:51 PM
That's not illegal, unless the rules have changed recently.

I'll admit, I don't know the extent of the block in the back rule... but are you saying it's not illegal because they were already engaged and he turned around?

- - - Updated - - -

This here.

Holding is a big one for me. OL especially. It is not holding if it is between the arm pits. Outside of that and around the back it is.

What? I wasn't talking about holding.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 29th, 2019, 01:54 PM
I'll admit, I don't know the extent of the block in the back rule... but are you saying it's not illegal because they were already engaged and he turned around?

- - - Updated - - -

I wasn't referencing you. Just a general observation. All fans, including Bison fans continually complain about holding. Between the arm pits is not holding.

CappinHard
October 29th, 2019, 01:55 PM
I wasn't referencing you. Just a general observation. All fans, including Bison fans continually complain about holding. Between the arm pits is not holding.

Alright, well we can agree on that. Odd spot to make it, but point made.

Bison56
October 29th, 2019, 02:06 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Yes that's why it isn't illegal.

uni88
October 29th, 2019, 02:08 PM
This here.

Technically I think even between the arm pits is still holding (it's why there is holding on every play) but it's almost never called. I don't think it should be called between the tackles but if it's done on the edge (tight end or receiver), it's more noticeable and should be called. Also, I think it should be called if the defender is able to turn his body and expose the that the OL is holding him between the armpits. It's almost impossible to tell and it's a great block if the OL is able to grab the defender between the armpits and pull him so close that he can smell what he had for breakfast.

CappinHard
October 29th, 2019, 02:18 PM
Yes that's why it isn't illegal.

Makes sense. Just seems like even if that's the case, if there's a shove in the back as a guy goes to make a tackle, they could call it. Maybe not though. I'm not an expert.

Tazman2664
October 29th, 2019, 02:55 PM
Well, from the background article I read stated Tetzlaff has played DE, maybe because of the injuries. His first step was in, so, no I do not believe he was holding his ground. Poor coaching. If you like semi-final appearances and that is fine, okay you got it. Remember, this is a rebuilding year for NDSU and they came out on top, again. I am not coming down on the coach, he has won a lot but I guess my question is, just how many more years will you accept SDSU coming up behind NDSU? They are recruiting so SDSU is attracting but if they continue they way they are, the recruiting will stop. Look at how many SD guys play for NDSU. I just think now might be a good time to change the head coach so you can get over the top. With this guy, I think second fiddle might be what you will get.

Also, when a player engages another player and the player turns around, any contact with that player after the initial contact is never a penalty. So if you hit a player in the front and he turns around and falls on the ground you can keep blocking him in the back and there be no penalty.

wow
October 29th, 2019, 09:31 PM
Well, from the background article I read stated Tetzlaff has played DE, maybe because of the injuries. His first step was in, so, no I do not believe he was holding his ground. Poor coaching. If you like semi-final appearances and that is fine, okay you got it. Remember, this is a rebuilding year for NDSU and they came out on top, again. I am not coming down on the coach, he has won a lot but I guess my question is, just how many more years will you accept SDSU coming up behind NDSU? They are recruiting so SDSU is attracting but if they continue they way they are, the recruiting will stop. Look at how many SD guys play for NDSU. I just think now might be a good time to change the head coach so you can get over the top. With this guy, I think second fiddle might be what you will get.

Also, when a player engages another player and the player turns around, any contact with that player after the initial contact is never a penalty. So if you hit a player in the front and he turns around and falls on the ground you can keep blocking him in the back and there be no penalty.

Have you never seen this kind of play before? Scoring long touchdowns on 4th and short isn't that uncommon man. SDSU guessed wrong, NDSU made a great playcall. This isn't one of the great mysteries of the universe.

Stig isn't going anywhere. LOL

BisonFan02
October 30th, 2019, 11:04 AM
Have you never seen this kind of play before? Scoring long touchdowns on 4th and short isn't that uncommon man. SDSU guessed wrong, NDSU made a great playcall. This isn't one of the great mysteries of the universe.

Stig isn't going anywhere. LOL

Yeah.....I have no idea what he's talking about. SDSU sold out to stop the Bison short on that 4th and 1. It was a goal line defense and it had the possibility to go a long ways once Colfield got past the first level.

Schism55
October 30th, 2019, 04:44 PM
https://twitter.com/cj_wentz/status/1189629918986014726
Hah awesome!

Bison56
October 30th, 2019, 06:12 PM
Looks like Gibbs is out for the year.

Tazman2664
October 30th, 2019, 06:41 PM
Yes SDSU guessed wrong, the run was not up the middle like they thought. As a coach, I see plays differently than most. My issue was the 2 guys who should have guarded the outside run, for long yards, were not where they were suppose to be. The DE job is to turn the play into the D-line and the CB is supposed to make the runner run east and west so others can pursue the RB. Yes they, probably get a yard or 2 but no TD. That is all I am saying. The game is on Midco right know, Wednesday night at 6:30. Just saw the play that got the late hit out of bounce call and believe that was a bad call but they have to lay on.

POD Knows
October 30th, 2019, 08:18 PM
Yes SDSU guessed wrong, the run was not up the middle like they thought. As a coach, I see plays differently than most. My issue was the 2 guys who should have guarded the outside run, for long yards, were not where they were suppose to be. The DE job is to turn the play into the D-line and the CB is supposed to make the runner run east and west so others can pursue the RB. Yes they, probably get a yard or 2 but no TD. That is all I am saying. The game is on Midco right know, Wednesday night at 6:30. Just saw the play that got the late hit out of bounce call and believe that was a bad call but they have to lay on.When you have a playbook with your kids, do you ramble on with incoherent, never ending paragraphs, or are you concise and to the point. Because if you employ the latter, please do it here.

BisonBacker
October 30th, 2019, 08:20 PM
Looks like Gibbs is out for the year.
That sucks

Professor Chaos
October 30th, 2019, 08:55 PM
Yes SDSU guessed wrong, the run was not up the middle like they thought. As a coach, I see plays differently than most. My issue was the 2 guys who should have guarded the outside run, for long yards, were not where they were suppose to be. The DE job is to turn the play into the D-line and the CB is supposed to make the runner run east and west so others can pursue the RB. Yes they, probably get a yard or 2 but no TD. That is all I am saying. The game is on Midco right know, Wednesday night at 6:30. Just saw the play that got the late hit out of bounce call and believe that was a bad call but they have to lay on.
Too bad that griff guy from UNI isn't still here to brag about how well coached his 7th graders team was... you guys could have conversations at the level most of us couldn't even begin to comprehend.

TheKingpin28
October 30th, 2019, 09:16 PM
Too bad that griff guy from UNI isn't still here to brag about how well coached his 7th graders team was... you guys could have conversations at the level most of us couldn't even begin to comprehend.Is Tazmann the 3YearLetterman of the MVFC except super cereal?

Bison56
October 31st, 2019, 07:03 AM

http://cdn.quotesgram.com/img/65/97/288617143-Supercoach600x320.png

Tazman2664
October 31st, 2019, 10:44 AM
Is Tazmann the 3YearLetterman of the MVFC except super cereal?

I have coached at the college level. And that is why I have a different perspective than most, as a coach you need to watch the whole play, not just where the ball is at. Like when I pointed out that #46 for SDSU, their DE, was not in the right spot. Someone came on this board and told me that he was not a DE. He is listed as a LB but was playing the DE position. In watching the game, just the first possession NDSU had the ball, #46 lined up at the DE position 3 times, that I saw. He might have lined up there because of the injuries they have at DE but he did play DE on more than just the play that resulted in the last NDSU TD.

uni88
October 31st, 2019, 12:39 PM
I have coached at the college level. And that is why I have a different perspective than most, as a coach you need to watch the whole play, not just where the ball is at. Like when I pointed out that #46 for SDSU, their DE, was not in the right spot. Someone came on this board and told me that he was not a DE. He is listed as a LB but was playing the DE position. In watching the game, just the first possession NDSU had the ball, #46 lined up at the DE position 3 times, that I saw. He might have lined up there because of the injuries they have at DE but he did play DE on more than just the play that resulted in the last NDSU TD.

This is division 1 football. Is it the coaches fault if edge players crashed down rather than securing the edge?

And if Stiegelmeier should be fired for it, should Entz have been fired for that 2 point conversion if NDSU lost? Stiegelmeier has done a helluva job at SDSU.

TheKingpin28
October 31st, 2019, 01:03 PM
I have coached at the college level. And that is why I have a different perspective than most, as a coach you need to watch the whole play, not just where the ball is at. Like when I pointed out that #46 for SDSU, their DE, was not in the right spot. Someone came on this board and told me that he was not a DE. He is listed as a LB but was playing the DE position. In watching the game, just the first possession NDSU had the ball, #46 lined up at the DE position 3 times, that I saw. He might have lined up there because of the injuries they have at DE but he did play DE on more than just the play that resulted in the last NDSU TD.I'm going to let you in on a little secret. EVERYONE AT THE GAME EXCEPT THE BISON OFFESNIVE COACHES THOUGHT THE BALL WAS GOING UP THE MIDDLE FOR A QB SNEAK. One team executed/guessed better than the other.

CappinHard
October 31st, 2019, 02:08 PM
I have coached at the college level.

I can't imagine why you aren't coaching at that level anymore.

CappinHard
October 31st, 2019, 02:17 PM
Someone came on this board and told me that he was not a DE. He is listed as a LB but was playing the DE position. In watching the game, just the first possession NDSU had the ball, #46 lined up at the DE position 3 times, that I saw. He might have lined up there because of the injuries they have at DE but he did play DE on more than just the play that resulted in the last NDSU TD.

They have a formation where they roll up the 2 outside LBs to just off the LOS. There are already 5 other down D linemen. Imo, a rolled up standing LB is still an LB.

TheKingpin28
October 31st, 2019, 04:56 PM
They have a formation where they roll up the 2 outside LBs to just off the LOS. There are already 5 other down D linemen. Imo, a rolled up standing LB is still an LB.Shhh... he's on a roll.

clenz
October 31st, 2019, 05:12 PM
They have a formation where they roll up the 2 outside LBs to just off the LOS. There are already 5 other down D linemen. Imo, a rolled up standing LB is still an LB.Oh. You means an over or under or bear look

I mean those have been around for decades it anything.

UNI has looks where the MLB on the LOS over the center. He must be a 0 or 1 tech NG

Also UNI uses a lot of 2-5 looks in the back end with the extra safety rolled up into a monster or even sometimes a standing 9 tech.

Imagine our 6'1 210 lb safety being labeled a DE because he will line up in a 9 tech...
Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Tazman2664
October 31st, 2019, 09:48 PM
So basically, what you guys are saying is that this being a run up the middle, that all 11 players should be caving in to the middle and no one should be guarding the outside? So when ever it is going to be a run nobody needs to play the pass? I get that teams move LBs up into an outside position, say outside the DE, do you still believe the DE then needs to do exactly what a DE is suppose to do or can they deviate from their normal roll? If not, why move the player outside the DE? If they deviate, should that LB do what the DE would have done? As far as Stig is concerned, I have said he wins and has been winning, I'm just wondering why some good SD players have been coming to NDSU.

cx500d
October 31st, 2019, 10:08 PM
Is this thread ever going to die? The game was a week ago...move on?