View Full Version : Stony Brook @ #6 Villanova

Gangtackle11
October 20th, 2019, 03:29 PM
3:30pm at Villanova Stadium - Homecoming

Stony Brook 4-3 (1-2)

at

#6 Villanova 6-1 (2-1)

Last game: @ Stony Brook won 29-27

https://villanova.com/news/2018/9/30/football-wildcats-fall-to-no-18-stony-brook-29-27-in-seesaw-tilt.aspx

Stony Brook leads series 3-1

Ivytalk
October 20th, 2019, 05:32 PM
Villanova by double digits. Gangschmeckle may get lucky at Homecoming.

Gangtackle11
October 20th, 2019, 07:45 PM
Villanova by double digits. Gangschmeckle may get lucky at Homecoming.

lol. Only if Mrs. GT tailgates too much. xpeacex

Twyxx
October 23rd, 2019, 08:20 AM
Biggest game of the season so far. If VU wins, they are back on track. If they lose, a seed is off the table come playoffs time.

@UNH is always a tough game. Would hate to see the team go 0-3 or 1-2 in this JMU, SB, UNH stretch. Hopefully Jalen Jackson is back. Along with the promising Barlee, they can help fill the void left by Covington.

Gangtackle11
October 23rd, 2019, 09:14 AM
Biggest game of the season so far. If VU wins, they are back on track. If they lose, a seed is off the table come playoffs time.

@UNH is always a tough game. Would hate to see the team go 0-3 or 1-2 in this JMU, SB, UNH stretch. Hopefully Jalen Jackson is back. Along with the promising Barlee, they can help fill the void left by Covington.

In Dan Smith we trust. xpeacex

Gangtackle11
October 24th, 2019, 10:07 AM
Stony Brook game notes:

https://stonybrookathletics.com/documents/2019/10/24//Stony_Brook_notes_Villanova_10_26.pdf?id=2889

ngineer
October 24th, 2019, 12:38 PM
'nova, 31-27

Gangtackle11
October 24th, 2019, 03:59 PM
This may be a tough game for Nova as they adjust to life without leading CAA rusher Justin Covington. Stony Brook saying they are 100% healthy is another plus for the Sea Wolves. Homecoming weekend should be a nice crowd for the 3rd straight home game.

I have it 29-27 Nova, but won’t be surprised if it’s an L. xpeacex

Derby City Duke
October 24th, 2019, 04:12 PM
This may be a tough game for Nova as they adjust to life without leading CAA rusher Justin Covington. Stony Brook saying they are 100% healthy is another plus for the Sea Wolves. Homecoming weekend should be a nice crowd for the 3rd straight home game.

I have it 29-27 Nova, but won’t be surprised if it’s an L. xpeacex

You've still got a couple of pretty good backs. We put up 355 yards (329 net after sacks) rushing on SBU. We don't put the ball on the ground 5 times (losing 3) and throw a pick and that's a 3 score game instead of a white-knuckle OT finish.

CHIP72
October 25th, 2019, 06:40 AM
It’s too bad this game doesn’t start sometime between 12 PM and 2 PM ET because I’d be there if it did. (I’ll be in Philadelphia to attend the Central Florida/Temple game, which starts at 7 PM ET.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vutomcat
October 25th, 2019, 06:51 AM
You've still got a couple of pretty good backs. We put up 355 yards (329 net after sacks) rushing on SBU. We don't put the ball on the ground 5 times (losing 3) and throw a pick and that's a 3 score game instead of a white-knuckle OT finish.

Exactly how we Nova fans feel about our 4th quarter against JMU. Except we would have just eeked out a victory against a very opportunistic JMU team.

I think you're correct about our backups. Barlee is a promising freshman and you didn't see Jalen Jackson who is even a stronger runner than Covington, but doesn't possess Covington's elusiveness. Looking for three or four long clock draining drives to get the W against Stony Brook. Establish the run and then let Danny boy slice and dice their secondary.

With any luck we will have our 3rd straight home attendance over 8,000 as well. GO CATS!

Gangtackle11
October 25th, 2019, 01:51 PM
Villanova Game Notes:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/villanova.com/documents/2019/10/25/G8_Stony_Brook.pdf

VUCats02
October 26th, 2019, 05:43 PM
The coaching in the 2nd half for two games in a row now has been absolutely abysmal. What is this team even doing right now? First and 10 and they run a play where the QB runs backwards, get a holding call for a free timeout, then they do it AGAIN, why not just knee the ball?!?!?

VUCats02
October 26th, 2019, 05:45 PM
This is so hard to watch.

VUCats02
October 26th, 2019, 05:51 PM
For anyone wondering what happened at the end of this game, Nova had 1st and 10 with 1:36 to go, Stony Brook had 1 timeout remaining. A play is called where Smith is supposed to run backwards 20 yards to try to kill a few more seconds, and in the process of doing so, Nova was called for a holding penalty which stopped the clock, giving Stony Brook a free time out. Obviously penalty was declined. Then, on 2nd down, Nova runs the same exact play. All they had to do was take a knee 3 times and the game is over. I. Am. So. Confused.

ElCid
October 26th, 2019, 05:51 PM
That had to be the ultimate meltdown of the week...maybe of the year.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 26th, 2019, 05:52 PM
Can't believe 'Nova lost!! This is a huge win for the Seawolves.

smilo
October 26th, 2019, 05:56 PM
That was the most disgraceful loss I have ever suffered to a so clearly inferior team in almost every way.

Schism55
October 26th, 2019, 05:57 PM
For anyone wondering what happened at the end of this game, Nova had 1st and 10 with 1:36 to go, Stony Brook had 1 timeout remaining. A play is called where Smith is supposed to run backwards 20 yards to try to kill a few more seconds, and in the process of doing so, Nova was called for a holding penalty which stopped the clock, giving Stony Brook a free time out. Obviously penalty was declined. Then, on 2nd down, Nova runs the same exact play. All they had to do was take a knee 3 times and the game is over. I. Am. So. Confused.
Holy ****, that's a fireable offense..ZERO excuse to lose under those circumstances xsmhx

Seawolf97
October 26th, 2019, 06:27 PM
I dont understand their play calling either I truly figured it was over . Anyway Stony Brook fans will take a W on the road against a very good team . By the way their radion announcer with Coach Tally threr today adding color are a class act . Very fair announcing and giving credit to both Villanova players and Stony Brook players .

HailSzczur
October 26th, 2019, 08:56 PM
I'm absolutely astonished at the incompetence our coaching staff showed tonight. If we were a football school heads would be rolling and Ferrante would be fired by lunch time Monday. That was insane.

We took over after the onside kick with 1:32 to play. SBU had 1 timeout.
They could stop the clock after 1st down, and after 2nd and 3rd we could run off 40 seconds.
That means we needed 4 plays to last about 0:15 seconds (accounting for us snapping at like 0:01 on the play clock).
4 runs up the middle would have done it.
4 QB bootlegs.
4 jet sweeps.
4 QB draws.
They tried to get cute on first down, have Smith run around and take a sack, hoping to waste those 0:15 seconds up top so we could kneel it out. Instead we took a holding penalty and the clock stopped. That cost us 40 seconds.
On second down, THEY DID IT AGAIN. After the first one didn’t work, we had NO POSSIBLE WAY OF RUNNING OUT THE CLOCK WITHOUT A FIRST DOWN. We were either going to get a first down and win it, or we were going to have to punt on 4th down. WHY FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WOULD YOU DELIBERATELY LOSE 20 YARDS IN THIS SITUATION?
4 rushes at 4 seconds a play. That’s all we needed to do. Ridiculous.

HailSzczur
October 26th, 2019, 09:00 PM
All they had to do was take a knee 3 times and the game is over. I. Am. So. Confused.

Not quite. it was 1:32 after the kick. With 1 TO it wasn't quite kneel-able. That play takes like 1 second. SBU could stop the clock once, so we could run 1:18 (giving us a snap at 0:01 on the play clock). That means we basically needed our 4 plays to kill about 15 seconds. 4 runs right up the middle would have done the trick. A first down would have ended. Unreal. Absolutely unreal.

Gangtackle11
October 26th, 2019, 09:01 PM
If this was a FBS team there would be hell to pay as coach blew the game. Gets paid a lot of $$$ to not know how to take 4 knees. Congrats to Stony Brook for finding a way. Nova players must be thinking WTF. xpeacex

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 26th, 2019, 09:06 PM
I think it's safe to say Ferrante is no Talley. If the Wildcats slip the rest of the year and miss the playoffs he might need to go. There's way too much talent on 'Nova's roster for them to be throwing games and potentially seasons away...

centraljerseycat
October 26th, 2019, 09:26 PM
40 years a Villanova football fan and today is the worst loss. I've been thoroughly underwhelmed with Coach Ferrante his first two years but was starting to buy in after the 6-0 start , 2 new coordinators and a new strength coach. The whole 2nd half was just a complete cluster*****. I don't think I'll ever figure out the last 1:30. Having Smith run backwards twice, the holding penalty, having the backup punter punt and then the matador defense. I'm still shocked. One more loss and on to basketball.

MR. CHICKEN
October 26th, 2019, 09:27 PM
xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolx......xoopsx....BRAWK!

.......WE LOST TOO.....xembarrassedx........AWK!

Derby City Duke
October 26th, 2019, 10:57 PM
xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolx......xoopsx....BRAWK!

.......WE LOST TOO.....xembarrassedx........AWK!

To the dreaded Spatters no less :pumpuke:

JMUNJ08
October 26th, 2019, 11:23 PM
I just rewatched the last 1:32. WOW. I thought JMU's pass D was bad... SB needed to hit at least 2 plays perfectly and they did just that (reminds me of the Dukes game to end regulation...)

The Nova playcalling was terrible and really killed them on both sides at the end. No reason any time should have been on the clock.

caribbeanhen
October 26th, 2019, 11:27 PM
Turned the game on just in time to see Stony Brook WR drop the easy 2 pt conversion that would of tied it up

the kid was distraught and no Stony player even approached him, said to myself that kid ain't sleeping tonight

Now he ain’t sleeping for the right reasons. The Party is on at Stoner Brook

Derby City Duke
October 27th, 2019, 12:11 AM
O.M.G. They're mainlining on the Main Line tonight. This has the potential to derail 'Nova's whole season.

Gangtackle11
October 27th, 2019, 05:57 AM
I was like ok he screwed up on the 1st play. Coach didn’t know the rule that the clock stops on a declined penalty in the last 2 minutes. Regroup. He comes out after that & runs the same play. Giving up 20+ yards in a game where a FG can beat them. Take 3 knees & your punting with 10-15 seconds left.

The staff was pulling defensive starters in the 4th quarter up only 35-20 & putting backups in.

Pop Warner coaching at a FCS level program. xpeacex

Gangtackle11
October 27th, 2019, 06:01 AM
I'm absolutely astonished at the incompetence our coaching staff showed tonight. If we were a football school heads would be rolling and Ferrante would be fired by lunch time Monday. That was insane.

We took over after the onside kick with 1:32 to play. SBU had 1 timeout.
They could stop the clock after 1st down, and after 2nd and 3rd we could run off 40 seconds.
That means we needed 4 plays to last about 0:15 seconds (accounting for us snapping at like 0:01 on the play clock).
4 runs up the middle would have done it.
4 QB bootlegs.
4 jet sweeps.
4 QB draws.
They tried to get cute on first down, have Smith run around and take a sack, hoping to waste those 0:15 seconds up top so we could kneel it out. Instead we took a holding penalty and the clock stopped. That cost us 40 seconds.
On second down, THEY DID IT AGAIN. After the first one didn’t work, we had NO POSSIBLE WAY OF RUNNING OUT THE CLOCK WITHOUT A FIRST DOWN. We were either going to get a first down and win it, or we were going to have to punt on 4th down. WHY FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WOULD YOU DELIBERATELY LOSE 20 YARDS IN THIS SITUATION?
4 rushes at 4 seconds a play. That’s all we needed to do. Ridiculous.

Agreed. There would have been 10-15 seconds left after 3 knees & a punt. Screwed up a really good season. Hope they can rally, but this one goes down in the history books as awful coaching. xpeacex

MR. CHICKEN
October 27th, 2019, 07:52 AM
.....WHERE WAS ANDY....xconfusedx.....OVER TA JAY'S.....FO' BBQ.........&.....STORIES......'BOUT ROLLIE.....:D....BRAWK!

TribeNomad1
October 27th, 2019, 07:56 AM
I was like ok he screwed up on the 1st play. Coach didn’t know the rule that the clock stops on a declined penalty in the last 2 minutes. Regroup. He comes out after that & runs the same play. Giving up 20+ yards in a game where a FG can beat them. Take 3 knees & your punting with 10-15 seconds left.

The staff was pulling defensive starters in the 4th quarter up only 35-20 & putting backups in.

We understand, we often witness the same.....

KPSUL
October 27th, 2019, 08:28 AM
Take 3 knees & your punting with 10-15 seconds left.

Ricky Santos will demonstrate how to do this for Coach Ferrante's benefit this upcoming Saturday.

MR. CHICKEN
October 27th, 2019, 09:22 AM
Ricky Santos will demonstrate how to do this for Coach Ferrante's benefit this upcoming Saturday.

.....YAH.......RICKY SURE SHOWED.....ROCCO....HOW TO....xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx.... .xoopsx..........BRAWK!

HailSzczur
October 27th, 2019, 10:14 AM

On the 2nd down play, QB took a bit of a hit. We were joking that it seemed like the new plan was to take a late hit or some other personal foul for an automatic first down.

vutomcat
October 28th, 2019, 07:58 AM
.....WHERE WAS ANDY....xconfusedx.....OVER TA JAY'S.....FO' BBQ.........&.....STORIES......'BOUT ROLLIE.....:D....BRAWK!

Andy was doing the radio broadcast.

This was the kind of coaching error that can't be excused. Unless they run the table Mark has ruined what could have been a great year and had the Nova faithful forgetting about his terrible first two years.

caribbeanhen
October 28th, 2019, 08:30 AM

This was the kind of coaching error that can't be excused. Unless they run the table Mark has ruined what could have been a great year and had the Nova faithful forgetting about his terrible first two years.

what about all the assistant coaches?

What were they discussing during the long time out after the first play?

MR. CHICKEN
October 28th, 2019, 12:43 PM

......WOOD LOVE TA HEAR....HIS RADIO COMMENTS.....AS FINAL 1:32....... EVENTS UNFOLDED....xnodx.....BRAWK!