PDA

View Full Version : Youngstown St. at Southern Illinois

Paladin1aa
October 15th, 2019, 01:04 PM
Penguins vs the Dawgs. What say you.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 15th, 2019, 01:11 PM
YSU by a ton. If the Penguins put 2 good halves together instead of one, they can beat anyone.

On the road but YSU still beats SIU.

Paladin1aa
October 15th, 2019, 04:44 PM
I picked YSU to win, but it will be interesting as the QB may not play. Still, I look for a YSU D to control the game. Is SIU healthy ?

BeamMeUp
October 15th, 2019, 07:12 PM
If the defense can come out and play four complete quarters (not 2 like the UNI game or 2.5 like the SDSU game), then they will have a very good chance to win this game, and five of the last six games. Would be shocked to see Mays out there after the beating he took this past week against SDSU. The Guins can win with Craycraft and/or Waid, but it is the DEFENSE that needs to step it up and give it their 100% on each play.

Can’t understate how big of a game this is for our coaching staff. Last weeks loss plain stunk and for far too long, such losses have lingered into the next week for this program. Let’s see if Bo can have these guys ready to play from start to finish. xcoffeex

skinny_uncle
October 16th, 2019, 06:12 AM
I picked YSU to win, but it will be interesting as the QB may not play. Still, I look for a YSU D to control the game. Is SIU healthy ?

Scuttlebutt says that D. J. Davis and Jeremy Chinn may both be back for this one after being out the last couple of weeks.

Paladin1aa
October 16th, 2019, 07:17 AM
Your game notes say they both will be back, skinny. Both are outstanding players. I note SIU is young.

Paladin1aa
October 16th, 2019, 09:05 AM
5dimes now has Youngstown St. as a 4 point favorite as a road game.

skinny_uncle
October 16th, 2019, 10:39 AM
Battle of the second string QBs?

Paladin1aa
October 16th, 2019, 11:05 AM
Maybe, skinny. Mays is possible but he is banged up pretty good. Can your small RB take a pounding ?

Paladin1aa
October 17th, 2019, 12:15 PM
It’s Thursday and time for predictions. 5dimes has YSU as a 4 point favorite.

My prediction - YSU 28-14.

The Yo Show
October 17th, 2019, 07:28 PM
I do not feel good about this game.

BeamMeUp
October 17th, 2019, 09:23 PM
I do not feel good about this game.
Yo, after last week, I get the anxiety! However, there is no telling how good this team can be this year if they played a complete 60 minutes of football. A solid first half will be a start, but coming out even hungrier in the 2nd half is something that this team desperately needs. This is a game they can and should win by a touchdown or more. I’ll say 24-17 Penguins.

Paladin1aa
October 18th, 2019, 10:01 AM
Word is Mays is going to try to play. Otherwise most of team is healthy following 2 really physical games with UNI and SDSU. Supposed to be some new wrinkles for SIU.

The Yo Show
October 19th, 2019, 10:02 AM
We are going to play injured Mays instead of craycroft then? Yep I can say we will likely lose

The Yo Show
October 19th, 2019, 10:03 AM
Yo, after last week, I get the anxiety! However, there is no telling how good this team can be this year if they played a complete 60 minutes of football. A solid first half will be a start, but coming out even hungrier in the 2nd half is something that this team desperately needs. This is a game they can and should win by a touchdown or more. I’ll say 24-17 Penguins.

I'm hopefully being overly pessimistic. But I'm not sure. I'm just disappointed. I didn't expect us to be that competitive against SDSU and I also expected us to lose to uni. But from how we lost both games has been soul crushing.

POD Knows
October 19th, 2019, 10:06 AM
Penguins vs the Dawgs. What say you.Quins could lose this game

Paladin1aa
October 19th, 2019, 11:15 AM
Yo - I understand it will come down to how mobile Mays is game day. He is wearing a brace.

POD - while a loss is possible, YSU is heavily picked to win. YSU D is still potent and run game is solid. We will know soon enough.

POD Knows
October 19th, 2019, 11:24 AM
Yo - I understand it will come down to how mobile Mays is game day. He is wearing a brace.

POD - while a loss is possible, YSU is heavily picked to win. YSU D is still potent and run game is solid. We will know soon enough.Lat spread I saw 4 points, I don't like your QB situation, pretty weak at that position. I have watched three games that YSU has played, Samford, UNI and SDSU. That first half team during the SDSU game looked really good, particularly on D and then got boat raced in the second half. I have a hard time figuring you guys out. I think you beat SIU but it could be ugly. I would think 28-17, something like that.

BeamMeUp
October 19th, 2019, 01:53 PM
Lat spread I saw 4 points, I don't like your QB situation, pretty weak at that position. I have watched three games that YSU has played, Samford, UNI and SDSU. That first half team during the SDSU game looked really good, particularly on D and then got boat raced in the second half. I have a hard time figuring you guys out. I think you beat SIU but it could be ugly. I would think 28-17, something like that.

ESPN App this AM: YSU -6.5

Paladin1aa
October 19th, 2019, 02:19 PM
Mays is playing and running.

1st qtr. YSU 3-0

skinny_uncle
October 19th, 2019, 03:07 PM
SIU 28 YSU 3 in the second.

Bisonator
October 19th, 2019, 03:09 PM
Man the penguins sure know how to fold mid season....xsmhx

skinny_uncle
October 19th, 2019, 03:32 PM
YSU scores with 8 seconds left in the half to make it 28-10.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 03:36 PM
Not surprised that SIU is winning but the margin made do a double take....

POD Knows
October 19th, 2019, 03:58 PM
My sweet Jenny I’am sinkin’ down
Here darlin’ in Youngstown

skinny_uncle
October 19th, 2019, 04:14 PM
SIU 35 YSU 10

skinny_uncle
October 19th, 2019, 05:18 PM
SIU 35 YSU 10 final.

Salukis with 10 sacks.

Javon Williams ran for a TD, caught a TD pass and threw a TD pass all in the same game.

Paladin1aa
October 19th, 2019, 05:23 PM
Congrats to SIU.

The game was a complete debacle. Team was not prepared. YSU was badly out coached. Must admit this is not a playoff team and doesn’t deserve to go.

Sadly, my preseason concerns are only now showing up - lack of a QB, holes in the OL, RB is a Problem and of course there is Bozo........ a terrible recruiter and a poor HC. He needs to go find a DC job somewhere.

The Yo Show
October 19th, 2019, 05:27 PM
Well I said I had a bad feeling about this game. I don't think YSU wins another game this year.

ysubigred
October 19th, 2019, 05:32 PM
I was being funny using #Bookit just because. Now I'm serious. YSU flat out sucks. Same **** different year. 6-6 might be a pipe dream. BO MUST GO [emoji35]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Paladin1aa
October 19th, 2019, 05:42 PM
Coaching and talent. That’s what it always comes down to. Watching #7 at CB get beat week after week is puzzling. Is he related to Bozo ? BENCH HIM. There isn’t one OT on the team , none. RB by committee sounds good but their talent is limited . The O gave up a record 10 sacks today ! The QB has guts but little talent.

And then there is the D. Badly prepared. And I’m sick of hearing we need to recruit better local talent. Please, the local talent sucks. It’s picked over leftovers. Need a whole lot more Florida, California, etc. Have I mentioned Bozo is a terrible recruiter ?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 07:12 PM
I'm with those that say if Bo doesn't make the playoffs he has to go. YSU should be a consistent force in the MVFC imo.

Paladin1aa
October 19th, 2019, 07:25 PM
Bozo is just like Heacock was. Great DC, terrible HC. Is not a great recruiter. The greatest sin at YSU isn’t Bozo. It’s the moRon AD that hired him. YSU has tried to cover the ADs butt and Bozo with cupcake games while struggling to play .500 in the MVFC. Take out the cupcake games and Bozo has a losing record at YSU. He needs to go, but the major problem is the AD who has destroyed MBB, did a similar number on WBB and has made football a mediocre farce.

Not sure YSU can afford to fire Bozo as the idiot AD just extended his contract.

skinny_uncle
October 19th, 2019, 11:58 PM
I think SIU might just be better than you thought. Their schedule so far has included 2 FBS teams, 4 ranked FCS teams and a UT-Martin team that iscurrentlu in first place in the OVC. It might be hard to find a tougher schedule out there.

ysubigred
October 20th, 2019, 07:46 AM
I think SIU might just be better than you thought. Their schedule so far has included 2 FBS teams, 4 ranked FCS teams and a UT-Martin team that iscurrentlu in first place in the OVC. It might be hard to find a tougher schedule out there.Not taking anything away from the Dawgs they played a great game and looked good. BUT YSU is much worse than you think.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 20th, 2019, 07:52 AM
Not taking anything away from the Dawgs they played a great game and looked good. BUT YSU is much worse than you think.

The Bison will come to town and YSU will play like a national title contender against them. Count on it. Penguins always play the Bison tough.

ysubigred
October 20th, 2019, 07:56 AM
The Bison will come to town and YSU will play like a national title contender against them. Count on it. Penguins always play the Bison tough.Don't count on it this year. What happened against Mo state? Shut out but 22 points? I know you all dressed the band to give the boys a break [emoji106]

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 20th, 2019, 08:41 AM
Don't count on it this year. What happened against Mo state? Shut out but 22 points? I know you all dressed the band to give the boys a break [emoji106]

Actually, the Bear defense came to play. Have to give them some credit. Bison had 9 penalties but cannot use that has an excuse.....4 or 5 false starts on the offense....wtf?xsmhx.....probably a lack of focus but they better get that focus back going down to Brookings.

ysubigred
October 20th, 2019, 08:43 AM
Actually, the Bear defense came to play. Have to give them some credit. Bison had 9 penalties but cannot use that has an excuse.....4 or 5 false starts on the offense....wtf?xsmhx.....probably a lack of focus but they better get that focus back going down to Brookings.Good luck. Bunnies are obviously a 2nd half team [emoji869]

clenz
October 20th, 2019, 09:44 AM
Since going up 21-9 on SDSU half way through the second quarter last week they have been outscored 66-17

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Redbird 4th & short
October 20th, 2019, 09:46 AM
YSU just seems to not have enough depth in all phases. Then they eventually fade and lose by war of attrition. Weve seen this happen to them many times before .. truly play like a top 10 or 15 team for 6 to 8 weeks, then just cave the last month or so ... except for the Natty run season obviously. Just not enough pieces to last a full season.

But SIU is decent .. we struggled to pull away despite how much we dominated them with our pass rush. Granted were still struggling to put a complete game together.

The Yo Show
October 20th, 2019, 09:51 AM
The Bison will come to town and YSU will play like a national title contender against them. Count on it. Penguins always play the Bison tough.

I second red and say there's no chance of that this year. Biggest blowout on your schedule

ysubigred
October 20th, 2019, 09:57 AM
Since going up 21-9 on SDSU half way through the second quarter last week they have been outscored 66-17

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TapatalkI'm not sure what's up with these teams Bo puts on the field but it seems when the Offence starts to suck the defense starts to suck. D will bail out the O a time or two but after that it's like they give up[emoji848]

Paladin1aa
October 20th, 2019, 10:11 AM
NDSU might get a tough fight the first half from YSU, but they will fold. Good schemes only get you so far. Then after the opponent coaches make adjustments, talent matchups become obvious. YSU has no depth. It’s a hallmark of the disastrous poor recruiting I’ve been warning about for years. YSU also has very poor frontline starters on the team vs. MVFC team players. There isn’t one worthwhile OT on the roster, none. Many of the other OL have no business trying to play at this level. Seen our QBs ? Embarrassing. RB talent is way down. At CB, #7 must be Bozos illegitimate son as he has no business on the field. After padding his record with cupcakes, Bozos true team is on display now.

Next game is WIU. Awful vs awful. Actual attendance plummets from here.

ysubigred
October 20th, 2019, 11:49 AM
NDSU might get a tough fight the first half from YSU, but they will fold. Good schemes only get you so far. Then after the opponent coaches make adjustments, talent matchups become obvious. YSU has no depth. It’s a hallmark of the disastrous poor recruiting I’ve been warning about for years. YSU also has very poor frontline starters on the team vs. MVFC team players. There isn’t one worthwhile OT on the roster, none. Many of the other OL have no business trying to play at this level. Seen our QBs ? Embarrassing. RB talent is way down. At CB, #7 must be Bozos illegitimate son as he has no business on the field. After padding his record with cupcakes, Bozos true team is on display now.

Next game is WIU. Awful vs awful. Actual attendance plummets from here.I'm not close enough to the team to know for sure but sometimes I feel Bo doesn't play his best players? Who knows what the hell happens. I'll go on record now saying WIU wins at the Ice box. Notice I didn't use Castle no one goes to a box [emoji1787]

Penguin Nation
October 20th, 2019, 12:29 PM
Big picture: The underperformance of YSU (now Scumbag U) is not because of DumBo, a sociopathic internationally infamous convicted gang rapist, or even moRon, but even higher...prolly the YSU BOT that allows these things to happen. What you tolerate is what will continue. MoRon is going to be AD for another 20 years, therefore various forms of failure will continue be the norm for 20+ years. The renewal of DumBo's contract after a 4-7 season which included the most humiliating loss in school history is more scandalous than the Heacock or Slocum contract renewals, and those were unimaginable. YSU did fire Heacock with a year left with the stipulation if he found another coaching job (with at least equivalent pay), YSU would owe him nothing. So what did Heacock do? He took a year off and lived off the YSU tiddie. DumBo has 2 years left, and if you fire him, he'll pull a two year vacation Heacock-style. So the Scumbag U program is screwed. Even if you fire Dumbo, pay him for a 2 year vacation, the AD will recruit another incompetent...like Dean Hood who he wanted to hire after firing Wolford. The only possible cure is for the few remaining fans to voice outrage and boycott YSU sporting events and even sponsors of YSU athletics...which simply wont happen.

The Yo Show
October 20th, 2019, 12:50 PM
Big picture: The underperformance of YSU (now Scumbag U) is not because of DumBo, a sociopathic internationally infamous convicted gang rapist, or even moRon, but even higher...prolly the YSU BOT that allows these things to happen. What you tolerate is what will continue. MoRon is going to be AD for another 20 years, therefore various forms of failure will continue be the norm for 20+ years. The renewal of DumBo's contract after a 4-7 season which included the most humiliating loss in school history is more scandalous than the Heacock or Slocum contract renewals, and those were unimaginable. YSU did fire Heacock with a year left with the stipulation if he found another coaching job (with at least equivalent pay), YSU would owe him nothing. So what did Heacock do? He took a year off and lived off the YSU tiddie. DumBo has 2 years left, and if you fire him, he'll pull a two year vacation Heacock-style. So the Scumbag U program is screwed. Even if you fire Dumbo, pay him for a 2 year vacation, the AD will recruit another incompetent...like Dean Hood who he wanted to hire after firing Wolford. The only possible cure is for the few remaining fans to voice outrage and boycott YSU sporting events and even sponsors of YSU athletics...which simply wont happen.

More may boycott than you think. But that being said, I don't see a head coach you would be able to get that would be competent mid season either. Best case scenario is YSU gets a new head coach this off-season and I don't think they will.

penguinpower
October 20th, 2019, 12:54 PM
More may boycott than you think. But that being said, I don't see a head coach you would be able to get that would be competent mid season either. Best case scenario is YSU gets a new head coach this off-season and I don't think they will.

Carl is in the contract. Maybe he is a better coach.

Penguin Nation
October 20th, 2019, 12:57 PM

Agree. YSU has painted themselves into a corner. Firing DumBo is certainly warranted, but wont improve the program, and likely would hurt it as you'll be paying for 2 HCs for two years. Likely financially untenable. They're f'ed.

Paladin1aa
October 20th, 2019, 02:39 PM
I was told Carl is NOT in the contract. Bozo, as I’m told ,took a pay cut for a host of sins.... recruiting the rapist, poor PR relationships, treating other YSU employees badly, etc. Yet this whole fiasco you can lay at the feet of moRon, one of the most incompetent inept AD ever. Both basketball programs and football have been disasters under his watch and yet, people kiss his worthless butt. Not much is going to change at YSU under his “leadership”.

Seriously, the politics of Youngstown have brought YSU down - moRon, Heacock, Bozo, recruiting Mooney kids (and Ursuline), the businessmen in the loges who are catered to over the regular seat fans, etc. it’s a cesspool of corruption. Recruiting of real MVFC level talent is abysmal. The current coaching staff and the corrupt Youngstown connection again has produced major incompetency. And like TV reruns, it just continues.

Paladin1aa
October 21st, 2019, 11:12 AM
Read the cheerleader board this morning and fell off my chair laughing. The owner of the board continues with his complete bs - namely that Wolf was let go because he ran off so many players early in his stint as HC. Correct - Wolf ran off Heacock players who weren’t FCS players , many of which were Mooney and Ursuline players that upset the political quagmire that is Youngstown. Wolf then recruited true FCS players that got Bozo to the National Championship game after Wolf was fired. True to form, when Wolfs players were gone, you got to see what Bozo actually recruited. The owner of that board also is responsible for the mess - supporting Strollo, Bozo and the whole corrupt mess while limiting dissent on the board to bring pressure for change. And nothing will change.

Penguin Nation
October 21st, 2019, 11:54 AM
I was banned from that board for making fun of moRon, and calling him exactly what he is, a clueless incompetent. My posts regarding Ticketgate in 2016 and the University's lies to the local media pissed off the boards owner. One recent thread there they speak as if there actually is 10K fans per game lol. Anyway, I would put the likelihood of DumBo being fired in the next 2 years at <1%. Here's what destroying an already injured FB program looks like ->

DumBo's MVFC record:

2016 6-2
2017 4-4
2018 3-5
2019 0-3

For reference, here's the last 4 years of the guy that they fired after handing Pitt their azz:

4-4
4-4
5-3
4-4

Penguin Nation
October 21st, 2019, 12:01 PM
Paladin, Obviously off topic except YSU plays them in the 2020 opener.....but WTF is going on with Akron? Will FB be dropped or will they move to FCS, or just continue to meltdown in the MAC? Holy sh--

Paladin1aa
October 21st, 2019, 12:32 PM
PN - Akron is still in the midst of financial meltdown and true to form, in a coaching change that may not bear fruit. Just like Youngstown, they recruit the local parochial stars that aren’t that great. Attendance is a scandal. They should drop to FCS, but not sure pride will let that happen ,even staring in the face of financial ruin.

I get a chuckle as their coach now WON with parochial kids when he was at John Carroll, a D-III that got much of Cleveland’s kids. That formula won’t work at Akron as most parochials are D-II and D-III at best except for legitimate stars going to Ohio St., Penn St and Notre Dame, etc.

I marvel at the locals here who chomp at the bit to play Akron - one poor program against another. The trophy is a trash can.

Paladin1aa
October 21st, 2019, 03:10 PM
LOL ! I got to thinking PN. I was banned off that board for telling the truth which many didn’t want to hear. Kill the messenger but ignore the message which was screaming in their face.My predictions, good or bad, were always pretty much on. They didn’t want to hear the bad, lol, just the good. I’d explain, in detail, why the players recruited weren’t that good. Don’t criticize local players. That wasn’t allowed. Told everyone the Strollo hire was a mistake. Predicted the downfall of MBB. Women’s BB based on coach hires and the the recruiting. Hell I looked like a prophet the 0-30 year. Then I started on Heacock and that was the board owners boy. Warnings came and went and yet, I was still correct. Bam - banned. And then they fired Heacock. Ta-tah ! Strollo ? The board owner must be his “buddy”, wink. A complete incompetent. Now Bozo, who I also warned against. See Nebraska.

i don’t know how even a casual uninformed fan doesn’t see the difference in h.s. Players he recruited. He has some success with transfers, but that only works for a short time. But the local politics demand recruiting substandard local players and change that needs to happen, won’t, dragging the whole mess down. How about that local Mooney boy coaching the DBs ? It doesn’t get more corrupt than that.

Penguin Nation
October 21st, 2019, 05:35 PM
You've actually advocated for YSU, and was very optimistic about YSU, on many fan forums including this very season where you predicted an 8-4 record. What some don't realize is you can be critical and advocate at the same time.

There's no quick fixes, although a win this Saturday versus winless WIU will get the playoff talk started again lol. BTW, I think Scum U gets its first conference win...but I think it'll be by 2 scores max. Empty stadium as they're competing with tOSU vs Wisky,

The Yo Show
October 21st, 2019, 06:30 PM
You've actually advocated for YSU, and was very optimistic about YSU, on many fan forums including this very season where you predicted an 8-4 record. What some don't realize is you can be critical and advocate at the same time.

There's no quick fixes, although a win this Saturday versus winless WIU will get the playoff talk started again lol. BTW, I think Scum U gets its first conference win...but I think it'll be by 2 scores max. Empty stadium as they're competing with tOSU vs Wisky,

Dont know if YSU does get the win this weekend, but even if they did, its the only one left they will get.

Penguin Nation
October 21st, 2019, 06:49 PM
Massey predicts a big win this weekend and also vs ISUb and that’s it, and Scum U finishes 6-6. I do think WIU’s winless record is deceptive, as is YSU’s...YSU was behind early in many of its cupcake games. I think it’ll be close.

A loss = program is officially Misery State status.

Paladin1aa
October 21st, 2019, 07:46 PM
Actually Penguin Nation, I predicted a 7-5 record in preseason but got caught up with the play of the late transfers coming in and return of Reed and Hegedus . The Jones boys and Douglas aren’t our problem nor Reed or Hegedus. We were weak last year at both OT and neither improved. The backs are a step below YSU standards and the QB situation is shakey. Still I thought they might get another win for 8-4. Still think the last game with ISUr is important. No doubt in my mind the coaches did not prepare the team for SIU. I’m going to pick YSU this week in the Toilet Bowl game with WIU and expect they still have chances with ISUb. That leaves USD (?). The problem here on out is will the team mail it in and hang it up ? They have to know they are better than the weak OOC schedule moRon throws together. But the rest of the MVFC ? There also has to be doubt about the coaching staff. They failed the team.

Looking ahead, my 7-5 prediction is still doable but no playoffs. They don’t deserve it. I hate to be negative, but look at the roster after this year and try to project a winning team next year. I can’t. They lose 4 starting OL and you know there is no one behind them. The returning OT is tossed around in games like a rag doll now. QB , good or bad , will play behind that line. No RB. Some D players go and we aren’t deep there either, certainly by MVFC standards. The wasted schollies on this team are simply mind blowing.

But you still got the Buckeyes, lol