PDA

View Full Version : #5 Montana @ #10 Sacramento St

Professor Chaos
October 15th, 2019, 10:11 AM
This is the game of the week in the FCS IMO. I'll admit I'm rooting for Sac St mostly just to see how grossly underrated they'll be in the STATs and Coach's polls if they pull off a win. Honestly they could plausibly get #1 votes but I'd say they'd deserve to be top 5 if not top 3 with a signature win like that added to an already impressive resume.

The numbers show what looks be a pretty good matchup between a high flying Griz offense vs a stout Sac St defense but a closer look shows that Sac St's defense is susceptible to the pass so this might have to be a higher scoring game than they're used to if they want to win.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48904081867_30e9efef8b_c.jpg

The current betting line on 5dimes is Montana by 2.5 with an O/U of 62 so they're calling for a 33-30 type game. Massey says Griz 34-31 but Sagarin has Montana as about a 7 point road favorite.

Who do you have winning this game and/or what are the key factors in your mind that'll determine the outcome?

McCowboys
October 15th, 2019, 10:14 AM
I hope this is a barnburner as records and stats seem to point to! I hope this is the game of the week!

Silenoz
October 15th, 2019, 11:00 AM
Key factor is Sneed. He torched Sac for 206 yards on the ground last year. They won't have forgotten that. But we've also seen the emergence of our best deep threat Akem since then.

So if they figure out how to contain him to a line like 20-40, 250 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT, 8 rush for 20 yards, we'll lose
If he goes off for 25-40, 350+ yards, 3TDs, 1 INT, 10 rush for 50+ yards, we win

Grizalltheway
October 15th, 2019, 11:02 AM
Key factor is Sneed. He torched Sac for 206 yards on the ground last year. They won't have forgotten that. But we've also seen the emergence of our best deep threat Akem since then.

So if they figure out how to contain him to a line like 20-40, 250 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT, 8 rush for 20 yards, we'll lose
If he goes off for 25-40, 350+ yards, 3TDs, 1 INT, 10 rush for 50+ yards, we win

Also how we start. If we spot them 17, it's going to be an uphill climb.

Silenoz
October 15th, 2019, 11:28 AM
I'll go with Sac by 3. I'd pick the Griz by 7 at home.

bobcathpdevil56
October 15th, 2019, 11:40 AM
The QB for Sac State impressed me last week. He his a play maker and a great leader of the offense. I think he is the key for SSU. Need him to have another game like he did in Bozeman last week.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 15th, 2019, 11:46 AM
Sac State

Montana

Votes from the other thread that may include a double vote before I shut it down. Just information from that thread.

Silenoz
October 15th, 2019, 11:46 AM
The QB for Sac State impressed me last week. He his a play maker and a great leader of the offense. I think he is the key for SSU. Need him to have another game like he did in Bozeman last week.
Here's a weird twist of fate

Catbooster
October 15th, 2019, 11:52 AM

Your attachment didn't work.

Sac's got a seventh year senior QB. Don't see that often.

The new coaching staff has really turned them around. This is a tough game to guess. Right now, I'm taking Sac because they're at home. They don't have a lot of experience in this situation though, so it will be interesting to see how they respond.

MSUBobcat
October 15th, 2019, 11:53 AM

Invalid Attachment??? Anyone else getting that?

Silenoz
October 15th, 2019, 11:56 AM
Weird, I can see it. Maybe a work filter.

Anyways, it's Sneed, Thomson, and Lopez (from UNA). All UNLV QBs together.

Catbooster
October 15th, 2019, 12:01 PM
Weird, I can see it. Maybe a work filter.

Anyways, it's Sneed, Thomson, and Lopez (from UNA). All UNLV QBs together.
If you guys win, I'm going to claim Thomson threw it for his buddy Sneed. Or Hauck has some dirt on him. xsmiley_wix

MSUBobcat
October 15th, 2019, 12:02 PM
If you guys win, I'm going to claim Thomson threw it for his buddy Sneed. Or Hauck has some dirt on him. xsmiley_wix

Goddamnit.... the fix is in...

Silenoz
October 15th, 2019, 12:03 PM
Both acceptable outcomes.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 15th, 2019, 01:23 PM
Invalid Attachment??? Anyone else getting that?

Attachments not working here either.

Redbird 4th & short
October 15th, 2019, 01:42 PM
This is the game of the week in the FCS IMO. I'll admit I'm rooting for Sac St mostly just to see how grossly underrated they'll be in the STATs and Coach's polls if they pull off a win. Honestly they could plausibly get #1 votes but I'd say they'd deserve to be top 5 if not top 3 with a signature win like that added to an already impressive resume.

The numbers show what looks be a pretty good matchup between a high flying Griz offense vs a stout Sac St defense but a closer look shows that Sac St's defense is susceptible to the pass so this might have to be a higher scoring game than they're used to if they want to win.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48904081867_30e9efef8b_c.jpg

The current betting line on 5dimes is Montana by 2.5 with an O/U of 62 so they're calling for a 33-30 type game. Massey says Griz 34-31 but Sagarin has Montana as about a 7 point road favorite.

Who do you have winning this game and/or what are the key factors in your mind that'll determine the outcome?

Checked Massey for SOS ... didn't help ... Montana was like 126th in all of D-I, Sac st was 127. main difference being Sac St played 2 D-I's and lost competitive games, and Montana played just one and lost easily. But Montana won their FCS games a little mroe easily than Sac St. Statistically, without looking at strengths of who each played .. Montana shows a little more offense, while Sac St shows a little more defense ... and they're good in the red zone. So with Sac St playing at home and being a stronger defensively with 2 quality FBS losses, I'm picking Sac St to win game .. something like 34-27 or higher.

As of this week, I'm a believer in Sac St ... and agree, this is most interesting game of week ... 2 top 6 teams IMO

MSUBobcat
October 15th, 2019, 01:43 PM
Attachments not working here either.

Did you contact an administrator like it said??? :D

Grizalltheway
October 15th, 2019, 02:20 PM
Checked Massey for SOS ... didn't help ... Montana was like 126th in all of D-I, Sac st was 127. main difference being Sac St played 2 D-I's and lost competitive games, and Montana played just one and lost easily. But Montana won their FCS games a little mroe easily than Sac St. Statistically, without looking at strengths of who each played .. Montana shows a little more offense, while Sac St shows a little more defense ... and they're good in the red zone. So with Sac St playing at home and being a stronger defensively with 2 quality FBS losses, I'm picking Sac St to win game .. something like 34-27 or higher.

As of this week, I'm a believer in Sac St ... and agree, this is most interesting game of week ... 2 top 6 teams IMO

I would argue that the Oregon loss was a little more "quality" than the score line suggests. Only down 14 at the half against the now #12 FBS team, who are only allowing 8 ppg.

mvemjsunpx
October 15th, 2019, 03:37 PM
I would argue that the Oregon loss was a little more "quality" than the score line suggests. Only down 14 at the half against the now #12 FBS team, who are only allowing 8 ppg.

It was 21-0 at the half. The Griz did some good things in that game, but I got the impression Oregon could've won by a lot more if they'd really wanted to. They got real conservative offensively after they went up 14-0.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 15th, 2019, 03:40 PM
Did you contact an administrator like it said??? :D

Yes, he said stop uploading attachments.

I have been wanting to go turn that one off for a while now but it is a bit down on the list at this point.

mvemjsunpx
October 15th, 2019, 03:42 PM
Sac's got a seventh year senior QB. Don't see that often.

He's actually a sixth-year junior. He'll be a seventh-year senior next year. xlolx

X-Factor
October 15th, 2019, 03:51 PM
Something about this Sac State team reminds me of Portland State a few years back when they smoked the Mean Green and also beat Washington State. Bowed out in the 2nd round to UNI but still a good season. Time will tell with Sac, but I bet they are a solid playoff team

Catbooster
October 15th, 2019, 03:53 PM
He's actually a sixth-year junior. He'll be a seventh-year senior next year. xlolx
D'oh. Said that wrong, thanks for catching it.

Quite an accomplishment. He might be good with another year of experience. xthumbsupx

Professor Chaos
October 15th, 2019, 04:01 PM
Something about this Sac State team reminds me of Portland State a few years back when they smoked the Mean Green and also beat Washington State. Bowed out in the 2nd round to UNI but still a good season. Time will tell with Sac, but I bet they are a solid playoff team
Their schedule is brutal. Even after this game against Montana they still have games against Weber St and UC Davis. They kind of remind me of last years Idaho St team that scheduled 2 FBS game and a D2 OOC (just like Sac St did this year) and then played all of the top Big Sky teams. They (meaning Idaho St) got up to #14 in the AGS Poll at one point last year but they had no room for error and one slip against Cal Poly did them in for playoff consideration. Sac St has a few "trap games" left on the schedule with road games at Cal Poly, NAU, and Idaho still to go. We'll see if Sac St can avoid a similar fate.

On another note I don't have the energy or the resources to look it up with but if they win this Saturday they'll have beaten EWU, Montana St, and Montana in 3 straight weeks. I wonder if anyone has ever done that?

Grizalltheway
October 15th, 2019, 04:13 PM
It was 21-0 at the half. The Griz did some good things in that game, but I got the impression Oregon could've won by a lot more if they'd really wanted to. They got real conservative offensively after they went up 14-0.
My bad. The game started at 8:30 so I was fairly sauced by halftime.:D

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 15th, 2019, 04:50 PM
Both teams give up a lot of yards. Could be a shootout.

I'll take the Griz in a close one.

veinup
October 15th, 2019, 06:18 PM

100% agree with this. mad dog dalton is the key. if sac can slow him down, get some hits on him, griz are in trouble.

100%GRIZ
October 15th, 2019, 06:30 PM
Disagree completely - Most of the one's played 80% of the game including the QB!

100%GRIZ
October 15th, 2019, 06:34 PM
Don't count on a hugh advantage as far as it being a home game for Sac State - I bet there are as many Griz fans in the crowd as are Sac State fans!

MSUBobcat
October 15th, 2019, 07:06 PM
Don't count on a hugh advantage as far as it being a home game for Sac State - I bet there are as many Griz fans in the crowd as are Sac State fans!
Then it's gonna be a full house, cuz they had nearly 11k for last year's homecoming against UND and Sac State sucked out loud last year. They were even coming off a loss to SUU (their only one all year. They're bringing 12-13k minimum, is my guess. 14 or 15k wouldn't shock me. As I mentioned tho, the track around the field really nullifies the crowd.

Ivytalk
October 15th, 2019, 08:16 PM
I have a feeling that the Hornets will buzz the Pooh-bears on Saturday.

uofmman1122
October 15th, 2019, 10:28 PM
I didn't know "conservative" meant keeping your 1st team O in for every possession but the last one, and going for it on 4th down 4 times (once each in the 3rd and 4th quarters).

They desperately wanted more than 35, and couldn't get it.

mvemjsunpx
October 15th, 2019, 11:44 PM
I didn't know "conservative" meant keeping your 1st team O in for every possession but the last one, and going for it on 4th down 4 times (once each in the 3rd and 4th quarters).

They desperately wanted more than 35, and couldn't get it.

I meant that they ran the ball a lot in the second quarter after they went up 14-0, even though the Griz couldn't get a pass rush at all.

dewey
October 16th, 2019, 05:37 AM
Here is an article full of facts about the upcoming game and an interesting amount of Montana alumni that are coaches for the Sacramento State football team.

https://gogriz.com/news/2019/10/15/football-top-20-showdown-on-tap-as-griz-hit-road-to-face-hornets.aspx

I voted for Sacramento State.

Dewey

BadlandsGrizFan
October 16th, 2019, 08:58 AM
I say Montana by 10.

Look for BigTime special teams to be the difference.

Games that look like they should be close like this one, Special Teams comes in to play...and nobody does Special Teams better than Bobby Hauck teams......Griz will win games on special teams this year.

cats2506
October 16th, 2019, 09:42 AM
I will pick Sac because they are at home, if this was in Missoula I would probably have to pick the other guys. I usually go with who I think will win in the trenches, Sac dismantled MSU's OL and DL and I think um will have even more difficulty handling them in the trenches. um's passing game and Sneed will keep it interesting though.

Grizzlies82
October 16th, 2019, 04:14 PM
Sacramento State certainly has the horses to win this game. However, Montana wins a close one. For both teams the keys to the game are getting legit pressure on the QB's.

Last weekend MT State put ZERO pressure on and Sac State ate them up for something like 9 of 13 3rd down conversions (most of which were long 3rd downs). If the Grizzlies aren't more successful the Hornets will roll regardless of how well Montana's offense is playing. Montana needs some defensive pressure.

Conversely, if Montana's Sneed has time the Griz will score 50. Montana has a half dozen high quality receivers and they can score quickly and in bunches. If the Hornets can keep Sneed under constant pressure AND prevent him from breaking big runs they can win. However, I pick Montana to win because I don't believe Sac State can consistently do both.

This should be a very good game. Go Griz!

100%GRIZ
October 17th, 2019, 10:24 AM
bump

MSUBobcat
October 17th, 2019, 12:52 PM
Was on the fence about who is going to win, waiting for some epiphany telling me which is going to win. Then I saw all the over-confident Griz fans (on articles on FB, not here on AGS) and something tells me there's gonna be a shortage of crow for them all to eat. Sac State in a close barn burner.

Grizalltheway
October 17th, 2019, 01:19 PM
Was on the fence about who is going to win, waiting for some epiphany telling me which is going to win. Then I saw all the over-confident Griz fans (on articles on FB, not here on AGS) and something tells me there's gonna be a shortage of crow for them all to eat. Sac State in a close barn burner.
Are they as overconfident as the Bobcat faithful were?;)

MSUBobcat
October 17th, 2019, 01:24 PM
Are they as overconfident as the Bobcat faithful were?;)

I didn't see any that were sure that we were going to beat Sac State. We were aware it was a quality team coming in and if we won, it was going to be close. I've seen Griz fans predicting that the Griz "ROLL". I doubt Hauck has looked past the Hornets, but many of the Walmart Griz fans sure are.

Grizalltheway
October 17th, 2019, 01:29 PM
I didn't see any that were sure that we were going to beat Sac State. We were aware it was a quality team coming in and if we won, it was going to be close. I've seen Griz fans predicting that the Griz "ROLL". I doubt Hauck has looked past the Hornets, but many of the Walmart Griz fans sure are.
Every now and then during the season I subject myself to BN, and there were more than a few (certainly not all or even close to it) who were predicting a two TD or greater win. But, predictions are just that, and I think the Griz will have to play their best 4 quarters by far, and maybe even get a lucky bounce or two, to take this one.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 17th, 2019, 01:32 PM

I haven't seen that but then again I refine my viewing area to things I find worthwhile which is generally AGS for the most part. I'd suggest you try and pare down some of the other as well cuz it is better for you. What you are saying is not happening here from what I can see.

MSUBobcat
October 17th, 2019, 03:50 PM
I haven't seen that but then again I refine my viewing area to things I find worthwhile which is generally AGS for the most part. I'd suggest you try and pare down some of the other as well cuz it is better for you. What you are saying is not happening here from what I can see.

I agree 100% about the Griz fanbase on AGS, especially once Alpha turncoated to the Bizzuns. But there's a LOT of Griz fans out there that are quite braggadocios and seem to live vicariously thru the team. It's definitely toned down with the struggles of recent years, but now their pulling the ego back out of the closet and act like their on the same level as NDSU. Bobcat fans, not so much... Likely because we haven't had quite the level of success and know our history of underperforming, so we're not as willing to have to eat crow later. xembarrassedx

Silenoz
October 17th, 2019, 04:15 PM

Step one: avoid facebook comments on anything ever
Step two: profit

ursus arctos horribilis
October 17th, 2019, 04:24 PM
I agree 100% about the Griz fanbase on AGS, especially once Alpha turncoated to the Bizzuns. But there's a LOT of Griz fans out there that are quite braggadocios and seem to live vicariously thru the team. It's definitely toned down with the struggles of recent years, but now their pulling the ego back out of the closet and act like their on the same level as NDSU. Bobcat fans, not so much... Likely because we haven't had quite the level of success and know our history of underperforming, so we're not as willing to have to eat crow later. xembarrassedx

Well as long as you are not asking us here (Griz fans on AGS) to pay the bill on those that are not here, which is sort of what it looked like you might be doing with your vote which was a 50/50 vote that we needed in this poll then that is all I was worried about. xlolx

Then as Silenoz said, profit.

veinup
October 17th, 2019, 05:03 PM
i voted sac in the poll, i’m not feeling over confident at all. i think the hornets will probably win the battles in the trenches and take the W. i’d love to be wrong of course.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 17th, 2019, 05:42 PM
i voted sac in the poll, i’m not feeling over confident at all. i think the hornets will probably win the battles in the trenches and take the W. i’d love to be wrong of course.

Yeah, that is the worry and hope we have enough experience in the trenches at this point that it matches up well. We've done well so far but this one is touchy. If we are up to the task at those position groups then I do think we have an advantage in special teams that I hope will show up too.

mvemjsunpx
October 18th, 2019, 04:17 AM

The eGriz score prediction thread is definitely a homer fest, though. The average margin is currently Griz by slightly more than 14. xlolx

MSUBobcat
October 18th, 2019, 10:06 AM
Every now and then during the season I subject myself to BN, and there were more than a few (certainly not all or even close to it) who were predicting a two TD or greater win. But, predictions are just that, and I think the Griz will have to play their best 4 quarters by far, and maybe even get a lucky bounce or two, to take this one.

The eGriz score prediction thread is definitely a homer fest, though. The average margin is currently Griz by slightly more than 14. xlolx

This here is why I avoid any team based forum. The fan bois on those sites typically have no clue and wear the darkest school color-tinted glasses. I don't search out articles on FB, but things from 406sports and the school's own websites come across my feed, so I sometimes scan the comments for a good laugh. I know they are in know way representative of you fellas here. In a toss-up game, I've gotta vote my heart and against a hated rival. It's what you do....

fencer24
October 18th, 2019, 11:33 AM

Win-Win! You are either correct or your team wins. Don't see a downside for you

ngineer
October 18th, 2019, 12:02 PM
Would love to watch this game. Will it be live via Big Sky network?

ursus arctos horribilis
October 18th, 2019, 12:43 PM
This here is why I avoid any team based forum. The fan bois on those sites typically have no clue and wear the darkest school color-tinted glasses. I don't search out articles on FB, but things from 406sports and the school's own websites come across my feed, so I sometimes scan the comments for a good laugh. I know they are in know way representative of you fellas here. In a toss-up game, I've gotta vote my heart and against a hated rival. It's what you do....

I see that a lot with some Griz fan friends too and I can respect it but it isn't my way on things. My thinking is that I want my in state brothers to be the toughest team we beat every year and that it be in the NC. In other words, I want my brother to be the 2nd toughest guy in the family, and the 2nd toughest guy in town.

I can't root against the plethora of Montana boys playing for MSU when they are playing against teams outside of mine...unless the loss helps my Griz in some way. I do like jabbing at you guys though.:D

Catbooster
October 18th, 2019, 12:54 PM
I see that a lot with some Griz fan friends too and I can respect it but it isn't my way on things. My thinking is that I want my in state brothers to be the toughest team we beat every year and that it be in the NC. In other words, I want my brother to be the 2nd toughest guy in the family, and the 2nd toughest guy in town.

I can't root against the plethora of Montana boys playing for MSU when they are playing against teams outside of mine...unless the loss helps my Griz in some way. I do like jabbing at you guys though.:D
More or less how I feel too . And from a selfish ('Cat) perspective, it's way better for us to have UM ranked as highly as possible when we beat them in November. xcoffeex

But a little reading on egriz can have a detrimental effect on that attitude so best to avoid it. And yes, BN can be almost as bad (though much more tolerable usually given my bias).

Professor Chaos
October 18th, 2019, 01:00 PM
One factor that could come into play if this game is close is Sac St's awful placekicking. They've yet to make a FG on the year (they've only attempted 3) and they've even missed 4 XPs already (26-30 on the season). If it comes down to the kicking game late or in OT Montana will have the clear advantage.

Grizalltheway
October 18th, 2019, 01:44 PM
One factor that could come into play if this game is close is Sac St's awful placekicking. They've yet to make a FG on the year (they've only attempted 3) and they've even missed 4 XPs already (26-30 on the season). If it comes down to the kicking game late or in OT Montana will have the clear advantage.
I think special teams in general could be a deciding factor. The Griz offense has had a lot of short fields this year thanks to the kick and punt return games.

Roamingriz
October 18th, 2019, 01:57 PM

It will be on Pluto TV which is a free app and free to use platform

uofmman1122
October 18th, 2019, 02:05 PM
This is the last game that I'm going to hedge my bets on. I've been so cautiously optimistic about Montana's chances in the last two games, thinking "surely this will be the week that we are exposed", and it hasn't happened. I'm pretty nervous about this one, but if we roll through Sac like all of the other FCS teams we've played, I'm officially on the "we're back" bandwagon.

Of course we'll probably win a close one, and I'll continue to think we're playing above our heads every week after that, as well. lol

Silenoz
October 18th, 2019, 02:49 PM
This is the last game that I'm going to hedge my bets on. I've been so cautiously optimistic about Montana's chances in the last two games, thinking "surely this will be the week that we are exposed", and it hasn't happened. I'm pretty nervous about this one, but if we roll through Sac like all of the other FCS teams we've played, I'm officially on the "we're back" bandwagon.

Of course we'll probably win a close one, and I'll continue to think we're playing above our heads every week after that, as well. lol

Fool me nine times Montana...

I'm confident in saying this is the best team we've had since 2011. I'm also confident in saying that barely means anything.

This team could also be as good as 2004/2007/2008/2009/2011 (take your pick), but we won't know that until seasons' end. I will say that Sneed, Akem, and Olson should be in discussion for some of the greatest players in Griz history.

Think about that 2009 team with Sneed. Or that 2004 team with Akem.

uofmman1122
October 18th, 2019, 03:13 PM
Fool me nine times Montana...

I'm confident in saying this is the best team we've had since 2011. I'm also confident in saying that barely means anything.

This team could also be as good as 2004/2007/2008/2009/2011 (take your pick), but we won't know that until seasons' end. I will say that Sneed, Akem, and Olson should be in discussion for some of the greatest players in Griz history.

Think about that 2009 team with Sneed. Or that 2004 team with Akem.
I just have PTSD from the last decade where I believe that we're better than we actually are. My gut tells me that we're as good or better than any team we've had this decade, but I feel like if I start to believe it, they'll somehow prove that we're the same team with the same problems we've had since 2011.

Grizzlies82
October 18th, 2019, 04:26 PM

Has there been any game (except maybe No Dakota State) where the average prediction isn't a Grizzly win by a wide/nice margin?
Seems to me you can look any weekend and the majority predict an outcome with a wide spread. It is eGriz and a Montana homer site.

Speaking of which... The stats, momentum, and home field indicate Sacramento State win. None the less, I still think these Grizzlies will win.

Grizzlies82
October 18th, 2019, 04:38 PM

An interesting thought. The kid missed an extra point in their MSU win.
The commentators mentioned their lack of faith in the kicking game. Which also means they're a four down offense when in traditional field goal range.
Another special teams 'oddity'? was Sacramento State's fair catching ALL kick offs. Commentator said they never return one.

uofmman1122
October 18th, 2019, 04:38 PM
The majority of cat fans on BN predicted a two-score win over Sac, so..¯\_(ツ)_/¯

uofmman1122
October 18th, 2019, 04:40 PM
An interesting thought. The kid missed an extra point in their MSU win.
The commentators mentioned their lack of faith in the kicking game. Which also means they're a four down offense when in traditional field goal range.
Another special teams 'oddity'? was Sacramento State's fair catching ALL kick offs. Commentator said they never return one.
Noticed that yesterday. 0 kickoff return yards. I believe they're playing the odds that starting from the 25 guaranteed every time is better than gambling on a big return.

Grizzlies82
October 18th, 2019, 04:52 PM
Noticed that yesterday. 0 kickoff return yards. I believe they're playing the odds that starting from the 25 guaranteed every time is better than gambling on a big return.

I suspect you're right, plus I'm guessing it may be to also minimize injury.

Though it could be they didn't have anyone who could catch and hold onto the ball on kick offs. Damn it! Starting at the 5 yard line again!!!! xeyebrowx

Professor Chaos
October 18th, 2019, 06:28 PM
No kick returns the last 2 games for them but they do have 7 on the year. 5 of those were in their first 2 games though; 3 against Southern Oregon, 2 against Arizona St, 1 against Northern Colorado, and 1 against Fresno St. They weren't that bad at it averaging 20.43 yards per kick return which is about middle of the road nationally in the FCS but I'd agree that there must be some conscious effort to fair catch all kickoffs now based on the trend since the start of the season for them.

veinup
October 18th, 2019, 06:41 PM

i know these feelings

mvemjsunpx
October 18th, 2019, 08:02 PM
The majority of cat fans on BN predicted a two-score win over Sac, so..¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, but nobody cares what fans on BobcatNation do.

mvemjsunpx
October 18th, 2019, 08:05 PM
Has there been any game (except maybe No Dakota State) where the average prediction isn't a Grizzly win by a wide/nice margin?
Seems to me you can look any weekend and the majority predict an outcome with a wide spread. It is eGriz and a Montana homer site.

When the Griz are coming off a (FCS) loss, some posters lose all their bravado and are like: "I think this 1-7 team might come into WaGriz & win, I really do."

To be honest, though, eGriz isn't really that bad. I mean, it's a lunatic asylum that's easy to make fun of, but it definitely could be worse. I'd hate to spend a large chunk of my day reading Idaho or North Dakota's boards. Those places seem to be filled with nothing but suicidal depressives who like to pool their self-loathing thoughts.

uofmman1122
October 18th, 2019, 08:31 PM
No kick returns the last 2 games for them but they do have 7 on the year. 5 of those were in their first 2 games though; 3 against Southern Oregon, 2 against Arizona St, 1 against Northern Colorado, and 1 against Fresno St. They weren't that bad at it averaging 20.43 yards per kick return which is about middle of the road nationally in the FCS but I'd agree that there must be some conscious effort to fair catch all kickoffs now based on the trend since the start of the season for them.
Whoops, you're right. I was looking at conference-only stats.

uofmman1122
October 18th, 2019, 08:38 PM
Yeah, but nobody cares what fans on BobcatNation do.
That's fair. lol

fencer24
October 18th, 2019, 10:39 PM
When the Griz are coming off a (FCS) loss, some posters lose all their bravado and are like: "I think this 1-7 team might come into WaGriz & win, I really do."

To be honest, though, eGriz isn't really that bad. I mean, it's a lunatic asylum that's easy to make fun of, but it definitely could be worse. I'd hate to spend a large chunk of my day reading Idaho or North Dakota's boards. Those places seem to be filled with nothing but suicidal depressives who like to pool their self-loathing thoughts.

I used to go to eGriz to try and learn something, and it was pretty good until lately. Now it's all: You didn't play the game, and; I know some insiders that tell me things that can't be checked, but trust me on this.
BN has better football discussions so long as it's not about UM.

mvemjsunpx
October 18th, 2019, 11:03 PM
I used to go to eGriz to try and learn something, and it was pretty good until lately. Now it's all: You didn't play the game, and; I know some insiders that tell me things that can't be checked, but trust me on this.
BN has better football discussions so long as it's not about UM.

The whole board would improve substantially if a certain handful of posters were permanently banned, IMO.

Lorne_Malvo
October 19th, 2019, 12:01 AM
The whole board would improve substantially if a certain handful of posters were permanently banned, IMO.

Yep, put a few idiots on ignore and egriz is a good board. This should be a great game. I am looking forward to this one!

100%GRIZ
October 19th, 2019, 09:50 AM
Not me - I prdicted a 6 point win by Griz!

100%GRIZ
October 19th, 2019, 09:54 AM
It is on Pluto but I would suggest going thru bigskyconf.com - seems to be better quality all around!

MSUBobcat
October 19th, 2019, 11:22 AM

IIRC, the Bobcats kicked one short of the goal line, daring them to return it. They fair caught it outside the endzone and took it at the 25 xeyebrowxxeyebrowx

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 07:38 PM
Anyway to watch this game?

Bisonator
October 19th, 2019, 07:40 PM
Anyway to watch this game?
Pluto TV

Lorne_Malvo
October 19th, 2019, 07:52 PM
Pluto TV

What channel?

Bison56
October 19th, 2019, 07:54 PM
What channel?

Lorne_Malvo
October 19th, 2019, 08:06 PM

Thanks!

Schism55
October 19th, 2019, 08:11 PM
Grizz came to play! Dang

Bisonator
October 19th, 2019, 08:12 PM
Sac State looked really slow on defense that series.

Bisonator
October 19th, 2019, 08:13 PM
Pluto sucks!!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 08:13 PM
Griz!! Boom...

grizband
October 19th, 2019, 08:15 PM
What channel?

DirectTV or Dish?

Bisonator
October 19th, 2019, 08:16 PM
Pluto sucks!!
Maybe it's Sac St's production that sucks.

- - - Updated - - -

Damn neither team playing defense this is gonna be a shoot out.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 08:16 PM
The Hornets strike right back! Some bad defense to start. Offenses executing but with little stress...

Schism55
October 19th, 2019, 08:17 PM
First to 60 wins!

caribbeanhen
October 19th, 2019, 08:17 PM
Pluto sucks!!

Big Sky football might as well be played on Pluto

Bisonator
October 19th, 2019, 08:20 PM
Is everyone having issues with the video stopping? The audio is fine but the video is stuck.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 08:22 PM
The Griz secondary looks completely lost....

veinup
October 19th, 2019, 08:25 PM
Is everyone having issues with the video stopping? The audio is fine but the video is stuck.

working fine over here.

Bisonator
October 19th, 2019, 08:34 PM
Yeah I refreshed the page and seems to be working ok now.

Bisonator
October 19th, 2019, 08:39 PM
What a catch! WOW!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 08:41 PM
TD Hornets! Their offense is dominating! The Griz are in deep doodie....

Schism55
October 19th, 2019, 08:42 PM
Ummm maybe tackle that guy??

Bisonator
October 19th, 2019, 08:46 PM
Sac is dominating the LOS.

Bisonator
October 19th, 2019, 08:47 PM
And Sac fumbles it away...

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 08:47 PM
That could be a game changing type turnover. Montana needs points.....

Silenoz
October 19th, 2019, 08:49 PM
Not watching the game, but this is why we've been so reserved about thinking we'd be successful lol

JacksFan40
October 19th, 2019, 08:50 PM
Montana has been a garbage first half team but unstoppable in the second half so we’ll see.

veinup
October 19th, 2019, 08:52 PM
Sac is dominating the LOS.

yup.

uofmman1122
October 19th, 2019, 08:55 PM
Montana has been a garbage first half team but unstoppable in the second half so we’ll see.
This is why I won't panic until we're down several scores in the second half.

uofmman1122
October 19th, 2019, 08:56 PM
Just like that, Griz down by 3

veinup
October 19th, 2019, 08:56 PM
mad dog dalton

Bisonator
October 19th, 2019, 08:57 PM
Some horrific tackling in this game.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 08:57 PM
Just like that, Griz down by 3

Turnover was huge! Great job stripping the ball! Game on!

BisonFan02
October 19th, 2019, 09:03 PM
Where can I actually watch this?

uofmman1122
October 19th, 2019, 09:04 PM
https://pluto.tv/live-tv/sacramento-state

veinup
October 19th, 2019, 09:04 PM

pluto tv or bigskyconf.com i think

edit: beat

BisonFan02
October 19th, 2019, 09:05 PM
Thanks!

veinup
October 19th, 2019, 09:07 PM
where did the kicker come from

uofmman1122
October 19th, 2019, 09:12 PM
Montana gets Sac to jump on 4th and 1, but doesn't snap the ball....Good lord.

Bisonator
October 19th, 2019, 09:13 PM
Montana gets Sac to jump on 4th and 1, but doesn't snap the ball....Good lord.
Looked like twice too.

Derby City Duke
October 19th, 2019, 09:19 PM
Sac State receivers are making some excellent catches; really helping out their QB. Good game to this point.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 09:22 PM
Sac State's skill players are really good. For their sake hopefully they're not peaking too early in the season. They're the team that's come out of no where to look like a threat to go deep in the playoffs.

Daytripper
October 19th, 2019, 09:22 PM
Nice touch pass. Sac State is legit.

uofmman1122
October 19th, 2019, 09:23 PM
Man, they just keep throwing up 50-50 balls and winning every one.

veinup
October 19th, 2019, 09:27 PM
o-line getting worked.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 09:34 PM
TD Sac State! Griz secondary is completely outmatched against the Hornet's pass catchers....

Bisonator
October 19th, 2019, 09:36 PM
Huge sequence of events there before halftime. Sac with the int and TD.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 09:39 PM
Sac State 35 Montana 15 Half

I'm really impressed with the Hornets!

veinup
October 19th, 2019, 10:08 PM
griz getting done on both lines, game probably over. i drank all day for this

BisonFan02
October 19th, 2019, 10:08 PM
What a mess.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 10:09 PM
TD Hornets! This is total domination. I'm shocked!

42-15 8:45 3Q

veinup
October 19th, 2019, 10:14 PM
anybody else lose the feed?

Bison56
October 19th, 2019, 10:15 PM

Yep

Schism55
October 19th, 2019, 10:17 PM
Yes, sigh

Catbooster
October 19th, 2019, 10:18 PM
Yep

katss07
October 19th, 2019, 10:18 PM
Yes

veinup
October 19th, 2019, 10:19 PM
last week the fishing show and now this

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 10:20 PM
Whelp...this sucks...

uofmman1122
October 19th, 2019, 10:21 PM

Sure looks like this is the game we’re getting exposed.

Catbooster
October 19th, 2019, 10:26 PM
And it's back - Sneed apparently hurt, Humphrey in and Griz get a touchdown

Catbooster
October 19th, 2019, 10:31 PM
Suppose the coaches' poll will move Sac up to 15 this week and the Griz down to 8 (assuming this holds)?

veinup
October 19th, 2019, 10:34 PM
what happened to d-dazzle

Professor Chaos
October 19th, 2019, 10:50 PM
Suppose the coaches' poll will move Sac up to 15 this week and the Griz down to 8 (assuming this holds)?
Yeah, it'll be comical how underrated Sac St will be in those polls. Probably below 2 teams they've beaten.

I asked this hypothetically earlier this week but now it looks like a reality. When was the last time a team beat EWU, Montana St, and Montana (in any order) in 3 straight weeks?

Derby City Duke
October 19th, 2019, 10:55 PM
Very impressed by Sac State; dominating effort tonight.

Silenoz
October 19th, 2019, 10:58 PM
On the bright side, we made it 7 games into the season before the fiasco this time

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 11:03 PM
If I'm Montana I try to forget this pretty quick. Sac State is playing lights out right now and things just got away from the Griz in a hurry. I'd be more worried about the health of the QB.

If the Hornets can keep this level of play up they're a legit contender. Part of me thinks they're peaking too early. They still have Weber and UC-Davis...

Rjones61
October 19th, 2019, 11:07 PM
When Sac State worked us over in a similar fashion, I figured we just sucked and didn't give SAC the credit they were due.

uofmman1122
October 19th, 2019, 11:14 PM
Montana had 12 penalties for 202 yards to Sac’s 1 for 15 yards.

Woooooooooooof

Derby City Duke
October 19th, 2019, 11:15 PM
Hornets just keep getting better each week.

veinup
October 19th, 2019, 11:18 PM
great game from the hornets, playing absolutely lights out as has been said.

wasn’t able to catch what happened to dalton, hope he can go next week.
go grizzlies

Silenoz
October 19th, 2019, 11:20 PM
great game from the hornets, playing absolutely lights out as has been said.

wasn’t able to catch what happened to dalton, hope he can go next week.

in times like these i read about genocides in other countries to help me feel better. go griz

Just remember that 2019 is another Bison invitational anyways, so it ain't really gonna matter.

FBS is looking like drama could happen for once though

mvemjsunpx
October 19th, 2019, 11:22 PM

Woooooooooooof

I know that's what the live stats say, but that can't quite be right. That means the Griz averaged more than 15 yards-per-penalty. xeyebrowx

*EDIT* - Never mind, I found it. The live stats say UM had an 89-yard delay of game penalty (it was the one on the second-half PAT). xlolx

uofmman1122
October 19th, 2019, 11:27 PM
I know that's what the live stats say, but that can't quite be right. That means the Griz averaged more than 15 yards-per-penalty. xeyebrowx

*EDIT* - Never mind, I found it. The live stats say UM had an 89-yard delay of game penalty (it was the one on the second-half PAT). xlolx
Did we get a spot foul that pushed us over 15 two or three times? Otherwise that’s a good point.

Edit: just noticed your edit lol

ursus arctos horribilis
October 19th, 2019, 11:40 PM

Woooooooooooof

They were magnificent tonight. I've watched other games with them this season and knew they were tough as hell but the way they played tonight made us look like children out there for the mast part. I mentioned their lines were nails....and they were. But on top of that the circus catches and great plays just didn't stop. We don't commit penalties like that so you know they had us on our heels cuz we could have been called a couple more that we got away with today.

They are legit everywhere but those lines are as good as I've seen us play in a good while.

Professor Chaos
October 19th, 2019, 11:53 PM
How does Sac St go from 2-8 last year to a national title contender this year? Did they have significant injuries last year or is Troy Taylor and staff just doing that good of a job? Regardless Taylor has to be the front runner for the Eddie Robinson award right now.

uofmman1122
October 19th, 2019, 11:58 PM
How does Sac St go from 2-8 last year to a national title contender this year? Did they have significant injuries last year or is Troy Taylor and staff just doing that good of a job? Regardless Taylor has to be the front runner for the Eddie Robinson award right now.
They lost like a quarter of their team to injury (including their QB and their best 2 pass rushers that destroyed us tonight).

They have a **** ton of talent.

MTfan4life
October 20th, 2019, 12:46 AM

Troy Taylor is doing an incredible job and has revamped that defense. Also, Kevin Thomson is a big reason. He was a huge reason they went 7-4 in 2017, and their offense that year was also led by Perkinson and Dotson. Having those three guys at full health this season has been very beneficial. Beyond that, there are a whole lot of new faces, so you have to give a ton of accolades to the coaching staff. They've put together something solid.

They still have a pretty tough slate left, though. They still have to play Weber and rival Davis. And, they go to Idaho, NAU, and Cal Poly. Nobody likes playing in Flagstaff, and yes, Idaho has struggled, but they've been a completely different team at home. (Roughed up EWU, Idaho State, and nearly beat Weber)

Scooter
October 20th, 2019, 01:23 AM
Hmmmm... not sold on Sac St just yet. Montana showed they are not in the top 8 this year. At least not at this time, anyway. Hard to believe that Sac St is in the driver seat for the Big Sky.

Schism55
October 20th, 2019, 02:23 AM
Hmmmm... not sold on Sac St just yet. Montana showed they are not in the top 8 this year. At least not at this time, anyway. Hard to believe that Sac St is in the driver seat for the Big Sky.
Not sure what else you want them to do. They hung with Arizona St and Fresno St.... and seal clubbed every FCS team they have faced save Montana St on the road. They are legit and in my eyes they and Weber are a big step ahead of everyone else in the Big Sky.

Professor Chaos
October 20th, 2019, 07:52 AM
What exactly will sell you on Sac St? They've got quality wins that are among the best in the country and are convincing in margin. I think they're worthy of top 3 consideration and even #1 votes for them wouldn't be that outrageous.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 20th, 2019, 07:54 AM
What exactly will sell you on Sac St? They've got quality wins that are among the best in the country and are convincing in margin. I think they're worthy of top 3 consideration and even #1 votes for them wouldn't be that outrageous.

I put them top 5. They look really good.

Professor Chaos
October 20th, 2019, 07:59 AM
I put them top 5. They look really good.
Agreed. Not sure how anyone can keep them out of the top 6 at this point but I'm sure the STATS and Coaches polls will have them lower than that.

Redbird 4th & short
October 20th, 2019, 09:38 AM
THIS !!! To last 4 posts. Sac St has all quality wins and quality losses. They are legit top 5.

Professor Chaos
October 20th, 2019, 10:07 AM
They lost like a quarter of their team to injury (including their QB and their best 2 pass rushers that destroyed us tonight).

They have a **** ton of talent.

Troy Taylor is doing an incredible job and has revamped that defense. Also, Kevin Thomson is a big reason. He was a huge reason they went 7-4 in 2017, and their offense that year was also led by Perkinson and Dotson. Having those three guys at full health this season has been very beneficial. Beyond that, there are a whole lot of new faces, so you have to give a ton of accolades to the coaching staff. They've put together something solid.

They still have a pretty tough slate left, though. They still have to play Weber and rival Davis. And, they go to Idaho, NAU, and Cal Poly. Nobody likes playing in Flagstaff, and yes, Idaho has struggled, but they've been a completely different team at home. (Roughed up EWU, Idaho State, and nearly beat Weber)
Interesting, thanks for the insight. Definitely a testament to the job Troy Taylor and staff have done. The only apprehension I still have is if losing a key player or two causes them to drop off that much they probably don't have the depth for a sustained playoff run unless they can get lucky and avoid the injury bug.

MSUBobcat
October 20th, 2019, 10:38 AM

Wow..... just.... wow....xrotatehx

uofmman1122
October 20th, 2019, 11:32 AM
We’ve thought our line play has improved tremendously so far this year over last year, which was truly horrendous. Sac showed that we still have a long way to go in that regard, and that the lines maybe haven’t improved as much as we thought they did.

Also, I know it sounds homery and whatever, but Montana is not as bad as they looked last night. I’ve never seen a game where the ball seemed like it was programmed to bounce the other way what seemed like literally every time. If it could go wrong last night, it went wrong. We have one of the best receiver corps in the country, and they all looked like dog****, dropping everything. Our normally rock solid resolve just exploded, and we had 12 penalties that all seemed to come at the absolute worst time. Sac put the ball on the ground a bunch, and recovered (in one case, they turned a sack into a 5-yard gain simply by fumbling).

Not to take away from Sac, they were clearly the better team last night, but we sure did our best to make them look even better than they are.

wapiti
October 20th, 2019, 12:22 PM
I just noticed UM won the turnover battle 3 - 2 and still got thumped.

Grizalltheway
October 20th, 2019, 12:36 PM
I just noticed UM won the turnover battle 3 - 2 and still got thumped.
Being +1 in TO margin doesn't mean much when their offense was like a hot knife through butter all night and your O-line gets absolutely dominated. On the bright side, the last time we for thumped in Sactown, we went on to make the semis.xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
October 20th, 2019, 01:28 PM

All we can do is whatch the games and if you are doing that I don't think you make a statement like you did here.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 20th, 2019, 01:32 PM

On top of what the others have said they have a ton of experience this year all over due to the fairly high number extra seasons too. I bet their team has one of the gighest numbers if you look at years in the program.

At the beginning of the season or even before it Bobby Hauck said these guys would be likely to challenge for the BSC title this year. He saw what they had coming back before a lot of others did I guess because they were voted like 12th in the BSC I think it was.

JALMOND
October 20th, 2019, 01:34 PM

At this point in the season, people who are not sold on Sac State will never be sold on them, and will try to find a reason to put three Ivies above them in the polls.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 20th, 2019, 01:39 PM
Interesting, thanks for the insight. Definitely a testament to the job Troy Taylor and staff have done. The only apprehension I still have is if losing a key player or two causes them to drop off that much they probably don't have the depth for a sustained playoff run unless they can get lucky and avoid the injury bug.

It was not a key player or two though PC, it really was a lot and all those guys that played in the stead last year now have a lot of experience and the ones lost are mostly all back so if that changes your perception on it good but a for instance this year is that they lost two really good players in the MSU game and still worked us over. It ain't the same as last year on that front it does not appear.

Redbird 4th & short
October 20th, 2019, 01:40 PM
Outside of NDSU and JMU, no one else has as many quality wins and losses as Sac St. And their Massey SOS ranks #2 in FCS as of today. Ignoring their NAIA win, they are 4-2 .. 4 quality wins over FCS teams with avg margin of 28 points per game, 2 quality losses (avg loss by 13 points) against FBS teams (Massey Composite #29 and #68 in FBS).

If I were to ignore SDSU history of reloading every year, Sac St has a slightly better resume this year alone. So I would still pick SDSU over Sac St, because SDSU reloads better than anyone, aside from NDSU since 2010 and JMU more recently. No one else in close to this level of consistency in these top 3 year after year.

Anyway, my top 4 are: NDSU, JMU, SDSU, and Sac St ... after that, put the names in a hat and just pick them randomly.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 20th, 2019, 01:46 PM
We’ve thought our line play has improved tremendously so far this year over last year, which was truly horrendous. Sac showed that we still have a long way to go in that regard, and that the lines maybe haven’t improved as much as we thought they did.

Also, I know it sounds homery and whatever, but Montana is not as bad as they looked last night. I’ve never seen a game where the ball seemed like it was programmed to bounce the other way what seemed like literally every time. If it could go wrong last night, it went wrong. We have one of the best receiver corps in the country, and they all looked like dog****, dropping everything. Our normally rock solid resolve just exploded, and we had 12 penalties that all seemed to come at the absolute worst time. Sac put the ball on the ground a bunch, and recovered (in one case, they turned a sack into a 5-yard gain simply by fumbling).

Not to take away from Sac, they were clearly the better team last night, but we sure did our best to make them look even better than they are.

I agree with the sentiment here. We are better than last night showed but that dose of humble pie is hopefully good for the team but man this happens from time to time. Hell this is sort of what happened a couple years back when we played UND. We are more experienced on the lines but we are nowhere near a top level on either line yet. I think we may have been real happy with it all because I sure never expected at this early point that would be where we are. I more expected this next season...maybe.

Sac State taught us a lesson and hopefully it does not take two games in a row to learn it. We don't have an easy way out right now it does not look like to me.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 20th, 2019, 01:49 PM
At this point in the season, people who are not sold on Sac State will never be sold on them, and will try to find a reason to put three Ivies above them in the polls.
This is not an AGS voter just so that is out there and if they were they would need to aggressively defend this sort of an assertion on the ballot.

Professor Chaos
October 20th, 2019, 01:50 PM

I got that same impression from watching the game too. I came away more impressed with Sac St than unimpressed with Montana. Montana could've played a cleaner game but they still probably would've lost. The Hornets just looked like a machine on offense. The Griz did not drop much for me in this week's poll ballot but Sac St did take a healthy jump up (again).

Schism55
October 20th, 2019, 01:55 PM
https://twitter.com/SamHerderFCS/status/1185990608332251136

uofmman1122
October 20th, 2019, 02:04 PM
I got that same impression from watching the game too. I came away more impressed with Sac St than unimpressed with Montana. Montana could've played a cleaner game but they still probably would've lost. The Hornets just looked like a machine on offense. The Griz did not drop much for me in this week's poll ballot but Sac St did take a healthy jump up (again).
I think we're capable of beating Sac State if we play well, but it would be tough with their superiority across the lines. Penalties and drops seemed to take us out of our rhythm on offense completely. We make our money winning on 1st and 2nd downs with quick throws, and when our receivers drop those passes, and penalties and sacks give us 2nd and 3rd downs over 10 yards on seemingly every drive, we're gonna have a long day against no matter who we're playing.

I'm really worried about next week, though, now that teams see our secondary weakness, and with Sneed apparently out. This season could turn for the worst real quick. :(

TheKingpin28
October 20th, 2019, 02:08 PM

This. I took into consideration Sneed being out and that they shouldn't fall too far even though Sac St had their way. They should still easily be in the Top 10, and not cause there are not 10 teams of being ranked, but that they are playing as a Top 10 caliber team.

mvemjsunpx
October 20th, 2019, 03:50 PM
https://twitter.com/SamHerderFCS/status/1185990608332251136

Since it's Hauck saying it, I'm guessing Sneed is perfectly fine & is now able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. xsmiley_wix

MTfan4life
October 20th, 2019, 04:20 PM
This. I took into consideration Sneed being out and that they shouldn't fall too far even though Sac St had their way. They should still easily be in the Top 10, and not cause there are not 10 teams of being ranked, but that they are playing as a Top 10 caliber team.

I'm still working on my rankings for this point. I get to 6 or 7 and hit a wall. No one has really made a broad statement that they belong in the top 10, or at least all of the teams from 8-13ish have an aberration on their resume.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 20th, 2019, 04:52 PM

You could be right but honestly Sneed going out had zero to do with that game. We were doing as bad with him as without him. UM, MSU, and EWU are all fairly even from what I see at this point and I don't know if you could really say they shouldn't all be hanging around 10...at best but also considering everything else below that not lower than 15 really but hell who knows at this point.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 20th, 2019, 04:58 PM

Right now I think you are correct but one thing about our lines is that they are still young but they are better and better each week until we run into this, or JMU, or NDSU, etc. but with Bobby teams our O lines (in particular) always seemed to gain power toward the final 1/4 of the season and continue into the playoffs. If we can get a couple more wins and keep getting better there then we can get back to being a problem for opponents pretty quickly.

One of our top Olineman didn't make the trip so hopefully his injury is also fixed up for him to come back for the EWU game but I really don't even know what it was.

JALMOND
October 20th, 2019, 05:18 PM
This is not an AGS voter just so that is out there and if they were they would need to aggressively defend this sort of an assertion on the ballot.

I didn't mean to put you in a bad spot. I had just finished the Dartmouth thread on how great the Ivies are this year and how they deserve to be ranked. Kind of a tongue in cheek assertion on my part regarding them and Sac State.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 20th, 2019, 05:29 PM
I didn't mean to put you in a bad spot. I had just finished the Dartmouth thread on how great the Ivies are this year and how they deserve to be ranked. Kind of a tongue in cheek assertion on my part regarding them and Sac State.

Hell, I wanted to post that before you put it anyway J but your post gave me the appropriate launch. It could appear that he was saying that for the vote so wanted it clear it was not that.

uofmman1122
October 20th, 2019, 08:30 PM
I really thought this would finally be the game that a Griz team shows it's not the same team making the same mistakes of the past 8 years.

So much for that. Gonna be a struggle to go 3-2 the rest of the way to get 8 wins, especially if Dalton is out for a lot of them.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 20th, 2019, 08:45 PM
I really thought this would finally be the game that a Griz team shows it's not the same team making the same mistakes of the past 8 years.

So much for that. Gonna be a struggle to go 3-2 the rest of the way to get 8 wins, especially if Dalton is out for a lot of them.

Dalton is less important than the lines holding up (which has been the source of the previously seasons problems to start with) so if we can pick it up there we can rebound but I think it could be a tough row to hoe and we could very well go 3-2 or even 2-3 but this next game will show us a lot.

TheKingpin28
October 20th, 2019, 08:49 PM
I'm still working on my rankings for this point. I get to 6 or 7 and hit a wall. No one has really made a broad statement that they belong in the top 10, or at least all of the teams from 8-13ish have an aberration on their resume.

You could be right but honestly Sneed going out had zero to do with that game. We were doing as bad with him as without him. UM, MSU, and EWU are all fairly even from what I see at this point and I don't know if you could really say they shouldn't all be hanging around 10...at best but also considering everything else below that not lower than 15 really but hell who knows at this point.

I struggled around 7 as well. Again, my poll had to be done earlier otherwise I wouldn't have had time tonight. I did mention how Sac St dominated the game as well but I have seen what Sneed can do and he is doing a good job of making sure that offense runs like a well oiled machine.

uofmman1122
October 20th, 2019, 08:55 PM
Dalton is less important than the lines holding up (which has been the source of the previously seasons problems to start with) so if we can pick it up there we can rebound but I think it could be a tough row to hoe and we could very well go 3-2 or even 2-3 but this next game will show us a lot.
I feel good about the Idaho and Portland State games, but EWU, Weebs, and the cats each present unique challenges that I'm not as confident about anymore. A win over EWU goes a long way to show that we're getting back to where we should be.

mvemjsunpx
October 20th, 2019, 09:11 PM

The way I see it, there's one game that we can go ahead and pencil in as a win: Idaho at home. The other four look like murky coin flips. EWU (home) doesn't have a good resume right now, but Sneed is out/not 100% and EWU needs the win to stay alive. PSU is still a mystery right now, and they've looked pretty good in their pseudo-home of Hillsboro. Weber is winnable because it's at home, but I'm the sure the Griz are the favorites there even with Sneed healthy. And then there's the Bobcat game…

uofmman1122
October 20th, 2019, 09:21 PM
The way I see it, there's one game that we can go ahead and pencil in as a win: Idaho at home. The other four look like murky coin flips. EWU (home) doesn't have a good resume right now, but Sneed is out/not 100% and EWU needs the win to stay alive. PSU is still a mystery right now, and they've looked pretty good in their pseudo-home of Hillsboro. Weber is winnable because it's at home, but I'm the sure the Griz are the favorites there even with Sneed healthy. And then there's the Bobcat game…
If our pass D is our biggest weakness and there's not a huge drop-off from Dalton to Cam, then EWU may end up being the most difficult game remaining.

EWU - Killer offense, but terrible defense. A full strength Griz team is probably a clear favorite at home, but without Sneed, who knows.
PSU - We always seem to struggle on the road in Portland, even in our wins, but their body of work is pretty weak.
Idaho - They absolutely suck on the road this year, although the Griz Fan Pod guys have a theory that they play up or down to their competition, which means they'll probably get up for our game. Very winnable for us, though.
WSU - Don't know how I feel about this team. Their defense doesn't look as good as they were last year, and their offense, especially their passing O, looks pretty bad. If Dalton is back and healthy, I think we can win this game.
MSU - I will be convinced we will lose to the bobcats until we actually manage to beat them. :pumpuke:

mvemjsunpx
October 20th, 2019, 09:49 PM
If our pass D is our biggest weakness and there's not a huge drop-off from Dalton to Cam, then EWU may end up being the most difficult game remaining.

EWU - Killer offense, but terrible defense. A full strength Griz team is probably a clear favorite at home, but without Sneed, who knows.
PSU - We always seem to struggle on the road in Portland, even in our wins, but their body of work is pretty weak.
Idaho - They absolutely suck on the road this year, although the Griz Fan Pod guys have a theory that they play up or down to their competition, which means they'll probably get up for our game. Very winnable for us, though.
WSU - Don't know how I feel about this team. Their defense doesn't look as good as they were last year, and their offense, especially their passing O, looks pretty bad. If Dalton is back and healthy, I think we can win this game.
MSU - I will be convinced we will lose to the bobcats until we actually manage to beat them. :pumpuke:

Weber had 612 yards yesterday, and Josh Davis ran for 328.

uofmman1122
October 20th, 2019, 10:52 PM
Weber had 612 yards yesterday, and Josh Davis ran for 328.
"Bad" may be a little harsh, but NAU has the 12th-ranked defense in the Big Sky, and Weber is still last in the conference in total offense, even with that 600 yard game.

mvemjsunpx
October 20th, 2019, 11:44 PM
"Bad" may be a little harsh, but NAU has the 12th-ranked defense in the Big Sky, and Weber is still last in the conference in total offense, even with that 600 yard game.

True, but their total offense numbers are actually better than they were last year. They just seem to be one of those teams that finds a way to win regardless of what side of the ball isn't playing ideally (they also have really good special teams).

I Bleed Purple
October 21st, 2019, 01:47 AM
I wouldn't call it harsh.