PDA

View Full Version : 2019-10/19 AGS GOTW Week 8

Preferred Walk-On
October 13th, 2019, 05:06 PM
This is one of those weeks in which there is only one game involving two teams in the AGS Top 25. Most of the match-ups throughout the FCS this week involve teams with winning records against teams with losing records (not many match-ups where both teams have winning records). Below are a few of the games where the teams both have winning records (or are very close to .500) and there is an intrigue factor or something on the line for each.

Northern Arizona @ #4 Weber State - The Wildcats have looked strong defensively, but perhaps not so much offensively. How much offense will be necessary to dispatch 5th-year senior Case Cookus and the Lumberjacks?

#5 (#6) Montana @ #10 (#22) Sac State - The Hornets have looked tough the past two weeks (and really all season). The Grizzlies have the opportunity to go into the Hornets' nest and make their mark as the Big Sky's elite. This is also the late game on the FCS schedule this week.

The Citadel @ #7 (#8) Furman - The Bulldogs are looking for redemption after stumbling two of the last three weeks, while the Paladins look to continue their march through the SoCon to ensure they will not be a three-way conference co-champion this year.

South Dakota @ #11 (#9) Northern Iowa - The Coyotes lost to Houston Baptist three weeks ago, and their season was considered over by many. With a win over the Panthers, South Dakota has the potential to start 5-0 in the MVFC (looking ahead a bit) before playing three ranked teams to finish the conference season. While not yet critical for the Panthers, a loss could potentially lead to a 7-5 record (again, looking ahead a bit) and some questions come selection Sunday.

#8 (#11) Nicholls State @ NR (#28) Sam Houston State - How do the Bearkats factor into a GOTW coming off a 3 OT loss to Lamar. Well, they are 3-1 in the Southland and playing the Colonels (3-0 in the Southland), who likely need to win the Southland outright and convincingly to be considered as a playoff seed.

#15 (#13) North Carolina A&T @ #39 (NR) Florida A&M - Battle of undefeateds in the MEAC. Celebration bowl or bust? The Aggies also look to avenge their one-point loss to the Rattlers last season.

#20 (#34) New Hampshire @ #30 (#18) Delaware - If the Wildcats want a playoff spot, they will have to endure the CAA gauntlet. So far, so good, as New Hampshire has beaten two previously AGS-ranked CAA teams and are currently tied for 1st place in the conference. The next three weeks will be critical for them, starting with Delaware. Meanwhile, the Fightin' Blue Hens have been ranked all year by AGS, despite only three wins thus far against the bottom half of the MEAC, Ivy, and CAA. They look to rebound after last week's lopsided loss to ORV Elon.

#28 (#25) Southeast Missouri State @ #22 (#26) Jacksonville State - This is a game featuring two teams that were the preseason favorites for the OVC title. While only a game back, both have already taken losses to Austin Peay, and both need this game to remain in striking distance of the Governors (and UT-Martin).

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 13th, 2019, 05:10 PM
Montana at Sac State is a huge game in the BSC. Is Sac State for real?

Catbooster
October 15th, 2019, 10:42 AM
Grizzlies at Hornets

MSUBobcat
October 15th, 2019, 11:05 AM
Do we really need a poll for this??? I see another landslide similar to last week's Nova @ JMU. Only 1 game involves 2 top 25 teams, let alone 2 top 10 teams. Both have fairly strong passing offenses coupled with fairly weak pass defenses. Both have middle of the pack (in the BSC) rushing offenses but stout run defenses. The Griz are #1 in scoring O and #3 in scoring defense in conference. The Hornets are #2 in both. On paper, this has all the makings of a slobberknocker.

Schism55
October 15th, 2019, 11:11 AM
No NDSU vs Misery St? Fail! xsmiley_wix

Professor Chaos
October 15th, 2019, 11:14 AM
Yeah, not much competition this week. I voted for the obvious in Montana and Sac St but I'll give UNI and South Dakota an honorable mention. If UNI loses this game their playoff hopes may not be able to recover with trips to SDSU and ISUr looming. South Dakota also needs to win to keep their flickering playoff hopes alive to make up for the bad Houston Baptist loss and to keep their margin for error in the bank since they end the season, as they always seem to do, with a gauntlet of tough games (vs YSU, @NDSU, vs SDSU).

Bison56
October 15th, 2019, 11:49 AM
Do any of you realize that the Furman win streak is on the line?

MSUBobcat
October 15th, 2019, 11:51 AM
Do any of you realize that the Furman win streak is on the line?

Awww $#it.... I spaced that out. Can we scrap this poll so I can re-vote?

ASU33
October 15th, 2019, 02:20 PM
A&T is walking into a Hornet's nest on Saturday! Good luck. This is looking to be FAMUs 3rd sellout crowd this season and they will be rocking.

Preferred Walk-On
October 15th, 2019, 04:44 PM
Do we really need a poll for this??? I see another landslide similar to last week's Nova @ JMU. Only 1 game involves 2 top 25 teams, let alone 2 top 10 teams. Both have fairly strong passing offenses coupled with fairly weak pass defenses. Both have middle of the pack (in the BSC) rushing offenses but stout run defenses. The Griz are #1 in scoring O and #3 in scoring defense in conference. The Hornets are #2 in both. On paper, this has all the makings of a slobberknocker.

The support is greatly appreciated. xlolx

But seriously, I try to pick some games that pose some intrigue and importance to FCS supporters throughout AGS. That said, I do miss important games from time-to-time, and that is why I have the CMA approach of having an "Other" option. For example, and I am embarrassed to admit this, but I did not know what #BOTPW meant and had to look it up and read about it. That game received some "Other" votes from some AGS members, and I always look forward to seeing people comment on games (and appreciate yours for the Montana @ Sac State game).

The trend is for voters to pick the game with the two highest seeds, and this week is no different. I suspect next week will also be no different (i.e., North Dakota State @ South Dakota State). However, there will again be a poll. xbeerchugx

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 15th, 2019, 04:47 PM

Wait for next week.

NDSU vs SDSU is probably the FCS game of the year. If that is not 100% then the other votes are just votes because someone hates the Bison.

kdinva
October 16th, 2019, 01:54 PM
A&T is walking into a Hornet's nest on Saturday! Good luck. This is looking to be FAMUs 3rd sellout crowd this season and they will be rocking.

xthumbsupx xnodx

Preferred Walk-On
October 18th, 2019, 11:47 AM
Voting ends today around 5 PM CDT. First, last, and only bump. Enjoy your weekend!

POD Knows
October 18th, 2019, 12:22 PM
Do any of you realize that the Furman win streak is on the line?Yea, 6 people apparently. That FU guy probably has 6 aliases and is stuffing the ballot box.

BisonFan02
October 18th, 2019, 01:33 PM
furman sucks

ursus arctos horribilis
October 18th, 2019, 02:22 PM

Yes we do. We don't suspend traditions due to an overwhelming favorite. We do that because I run out of time to do them any longer xlolx...then another person steps in to pick up that slack. Thanks again PWO.

McCowboys
October 18th, 2019, 06:33 PM
Yea, 6 people apparently. That FU guy probably has 6 aliases and is stuffing the ballot box.

xlolx