carney2
October 13th, 2019, 07:45 AM
Two more League games as we continue to sort this mess out:

LAFAYETTE @ GEORGETOWN

Harvard @ HOLY CROSS

LEHIGH @ FORDHAM

COLGATE @ Cornell

BUCKNELL @ Towson

Game of the week: Lafayette @ Georgetown or Lehigh @ Fordham. Does anyone really care?

bonarae
October 13th, 2019, 08:18 AM
Georgetown
Harvard
Fordham
Cornell
Towson

Sader87
October 13th, 2019, 01:07 PM
Homer bias but Harvard at Holy Cross is by far the GOTW in the PL this week imo.

Was our O illusionary in Providence? Can we beat a top-half Ivy with this squad this year?

crusader11
October 13th, 2019, 02:36 PM
I suspect that carney is only considering PL vs. PL as GOTW.

Ivytalk
October 13th, 2019, 03:06 PM
Homer bias but Harvard at Holy Cross is by far the GOTW in the PL this week imo.

Was our O illusionary in Providence? Can we beat a top-half Ivy with this squad this year?
As I said on the Ivy Week 5 thread, this is a trap game for Harvard. The Crimson face Princeton on the road the following week. If Harvard’s pass defense shows up against the Cross’s excellent QB, I think we’ll win a narrow victory. Our run defense is stout. Harvard’s offense is solid and balanced, but we have to avoid the turnovers that would’ve killed us against a better team than Cornell.

kdinva
October 13th, 2019, 03:34 PM
Georgetown
Harvard
Fordham
Cornell
Towson

agree, and I would not be surprised if the margin of victory was 12+ points in all five contests.

Colgate TD
October 13th, 2019, 07:48 PM
G'town - The Beast of the East keeps on rolling.
The Cross - Yes, trap game for Harvard indeed.
Fordham - Rams have proved they are worthy.
Colgate - It can't get much worse than 0-7....or can it?
Towson - Bison winning streak stops at 1.

ngineer
October 13th, 2019, 09:53 PM
Laughyette's defense may keep this close, but I cannot see the Leotards putting up more than two scores. Hoyas, 28-10

The Johnnies in a close one, 28-24

LU @ FU is the GOTW as both enter undefeated in League play. Mountain Hawks getting some 'mojo' and a week to heal up. Lehigh, 25-24.

'gate finally gets off the schneid. Cornell having trouble scoring with anyone and anything. Raiders, 24-14.

Bad week for Bucky to go OOC against a team that will be looking to run it up on someone after some disastrous weeks. Tigers, 42-21.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 13th, 2019, 10:54 PM

Definitely Holy Cross-Harvard. There's actual legitimacy at stake in that game! Lehigh-Fordham is nothing more than one of a handful of intriguing pillow fights that will take place over the next few weeks....

CHIP72
October 14th, 2019, 06:46 AM
I just want to thank the powers that be at Georgetown for being so expeditious for remodeling Multi-Sport Field, I mean Cooper Field, such that a DI-AA/FCS "stadium" has considerably less than 2000 seats for a couple years and sells out games way in advance, preventing people from attending games because of all the missing seats.

DFW HOYA
October 14th, 2019, 07:54 AM
I just want to thank the powers that be at Georgetown for being so expeditious for remodeling Multi-Sport Field, I mean Cooper Field, such that a DI-AA/FCS "stadium" has considerably less than 2000 seats for a couple years and sells out games way in advance, preventing people from attending games because of all the missing seats.

What's 18 years between friends?

http://georgetownfootball.blogspot.com/2017/10/some-build-others-defer.html

carney2
October 14th, 2019, 04:34 PM
I suspect that carney is only considering PL vs. PL as GOTW.

True, but I suspect that Harvard will whoop the 'saders in a non-competitive match. It may be a big deal for 87, who is still stuck in the 70s, but ...

Lehigh Football Nation
October 14th, 2019, 04:41 PM
True, but I suspect that Harvard will whoop the 'saders in a non-competitive match. It may be a big deal for 87, who is still stuck in the 70s, but ...

He's looking forward to Boston College's next evisceration of Holy Cross.

TheValleyRaider
October 14th, 2019, 08:03 PM
Only 2-2 last week, two surprising losses, though for very different reasons. 27-13 for the year

Lafayette at Georgetown Georgetown I want to say something pithy or interesting here, but this looks pretty straightforward. In spite of their loss to the Rams, Georgetown is still a solid PL squad, and one that should handle a less-so team at home.

Harvard at Holy Cross Harvard I kind of want to pull the trigger on HC here, playing at home against a Harvard team that I'm not really sure if they're that good. Crusaders nearly pulled this one off a year ago, but I'm not feeling that bold right now.

Lehigh at Fordham Fordham Coming off a big win over Georgetown, the Rams look to continue their recent hot run against the Hawks. In a series that Lehigh has dominated, the Rams have won 5 of the last 6, including a blowout last year. Not as many points this season, but the same result in the column.

Colgate at Cornell Colgate I have nothing to say about this except: No. Just...no

Bucknell at Towson Towson Hello old Patriot League friends. Towson is probably smarting after the big loss at home to Albany, 3 straight for the Tigers, while Bucknell is probably riding high after snapping an 11-game overall losing streak (and a 5-game streak to Colgate). Tigers still on a different level, though.

Ivytalk
October 15th, 2019, 04:44 AM
Georgetown
Harvard
Fordham
Cornell
Towson
BTW, I agree with these.

RichH2
October 15th, 2019, 10:52 AM
FWIW. MASSEY picks

Hoyas over Pards. 21-13
Rams over Lehigh. 24-21
Harvard over HC. 27-21
Cornell over Gate. 19-14

carney2
October 16th, 2019, 08:30 AM
LAFAYETTE @ GEORGETOWN - A pillow fight?

Harvard @ HOLY CROSS - Could be the big deal that 87's memory says it is, but I doubt it.

LEHIGH @ FORDHAM - Meaningful game or ho-hum?

COLGATE @ Cornell- 'gate will win a game. Is this it?

BUCKNELL @ Towson ​- Noncompetitive.

Sader87
October 16th, 2019, 11:04 PM
Sad that Carney, Bogey etc have essentially quit on PL football....the PL needs a good or at least a half-way decent Lafayette, get your **** together in football Leopards

Colgate TD
October 17th, 2019, 11:33 AM
According to Sagarin rankings Cornell is a 4 pt favorite over the Red Raiders. Just an FYI for you future posters....if there are any.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 17th, 2019, 10:06 PM
Georgetown 27 Lafayette 17 - A little concerned about the Hoyas mental health. Ultimately, I think Sgarlata will have them quickly headed in the right direction if there is a bit of a hangover from last week.

Harvard 34 Holy Cross 23 - The Crusaders have proven they are at least competent this year. I think Harvard is legitimately good. This would be a bigger win than UNH given the timing of both games. This is the GOTW imo....

Lehigh 27 Fordham 24 - The Rams have yet to put together two straight quality performances this season. Lehigh is coming off the bye and should be well prepared. This seems like a good spot for the Mountain Hawks to pull a bit of an upset.

Cornell 20 Colgate 16 - Both offenses are struggling to score. Despite not being nearly as talented as Colgate's defense, the Big Red's unit has played better. That and home field should be enough to eek out a win over their CNY rival.

Towson 41 Bucknell 30 - I think the Bison will put forth a quality effort against a fading Towson team. If Bitikofer continues to provide quality QB play Bucknell will score on the Tiger's porous "D". I just can't see BU stopping the Tigers enough to seriously threaten them.

DFW HOYA
October 17th, 2019, 10:27 PM
Has the PL fan base collectively lost interest in these teams?

A check back at week 8 "Pick 'Em" posts on this board over the past three seasons:

2017: 141 replies
2018: 122 replies

For 2019, this is post #21.

SUPharmacist
October 17th, 2019, 11:27 PM
Georgetown
Harvard
Fordham
Cornell
Towson

van
October 18th, 2019, 07:27 AM
LAFAYETTE @ GEORGETOWN

Harvard @ HOLY CROSS

LEHIGH @ FORDHAM

COLGATE @ Cornell

BUCKNELL @ Towson

Lehigh'98
October 18th, 2019, 07:47 AM

A check back at week 8 "Pick 'Em" posts on this board over the past three seasons:

Numbers don’t lie.

carney2
October 18th, 2019, 08:42 AM
Sad that Carney, Bogey etc have essentially quit on PL football....the PL needs a good or at least a half-way decent Lafayette, get your **** together in football Leopards

I certainly can't speak for Bogie, but you are pretty much spot on for me. I don't know if I've "quit on PL football" as much as I've thrown in the towel on Lafayette athletics in general, and football in particular. It's an institutional thing for the Pards. As one of my fellow posters on the Lafayette board said, "If they don't care, how can I care?" It's been building since the late 90s when former President Art Rothkopf broached the subject of dropping to D-3. It took off around 2007 or 2008 when then President Weiss drastically cut equivalencies for football and essentially ushered in the current era of across the board non-competitiveness. Some of my fellow posters on the Lafayette board don't see it (and I hope they're right), but the trend seems clear to me. This thing is headed for D-3.

RichH2
October 18th, 2019, 09:31 AM

Agree with your premise DFW but the example might not be that apt.
Week 7 of this year has 148 posts. I dont recall off hand but did we use to have a game day PL thread in prior years. I do recall game day threads for specific games but not one for the PL. To your point, the lack of specific game day threads for a PL game seems much less common.

ngineer
October 18th, 2019, 11:58 AM
Agree with your premise DFW but the example might not be that apt.
Week 7 of this year has 148 posts. I dont recall off hand but did we use to have a game day PL thread in prior years. I do recall game day threads for specific games but not one for the PL. To your point, the lack of specific game day threads for a PL game seems much less common.

Agreed. A few years back there would be different threads for most or some of the PL games. Now, we have somehow migrated to commenting on the weekly "pick 'em" thread. However, the point is well taken in that, regardless, we have seem to have lost some 'mojo' in discussing our respective teams and League as a whole...and considering the state of affairs, I am not surprised. I just hope we can get our collective acts together and become relevant, again.

Carney's observations are spot on and it concerns me. I have a lot of Leopard friends (since I live in the Easton area) and I hear the same institutional complaints. It is hard to fathom that after spending a sh#t load on Fisher Field and the new field house that they would make such a "u-turn". I don't have a sense at all as to the new AD they hired last year, but as with the prior one, I think her hands are pretty tied. I am concerned about where Lafayette's interest is as it will impact the League Presidents as a whole. I don't know if various changes in policy require unanimity, but I think they always work on a 'consensus' basis.

RichH2
October 18th, 2019, 12:32 PM
Agreed. A few years back there would be different threads for most or some of the PL games. Now, we have somehow migrated to commenting on the weekly "pick 'em" thread. However, the point is well taken in that, regardless, we have seem to have lost some 'mojo' in discussing our respective teams and League as a whole...and considering the state of affairs, I am not surprised. I just hope we can get our collective acts together and become relevant, again.

Carney's observations are spot on and it concerns me. I have a lot of Leopard friends (since I live in the Easton area) and I hear the same institutional complaints. It is hard to fathom that after spending a sh#t load on Fisher Field and the new field house that they would make such a "u-turn". I don't have a sense at all as to the new AD they hired last year, but as with the prior one, I think her hands are pretty tied. I am concerned about where Lafayette's interest is as it will impact the League Presidents as a whole. I don't know if various changes in policy require unanimity, but I think they always work on a 'consensus' basis.

Well said. Understandable for PL fans. Hard to invest hope and spirit into another listless football season for the PL
Consensus may be our Presidents' preference. It took Fordham's rebellion to move them before. We may need another such revolt now.

PAllen
October 18th, 2019, 01:43 PM
Well said. Understandable for PL fans. Hard to invest hope and spirit into another listless football season for the PL
Consensus may be our Presidents' preference. It took Fordham's rebellion to move them before. We may need another such revolt now.

But will that revolt be Colgate going full bore 63 with redshirting and no roster limits, or will in be Lafayette going full D-3?

carney2
October 18th, 2019, 02:27 PM
But will that revolt be Colgate going full bore 63 with redshirting and no roster limits, or will in be Lafayette going full D-3?

Need a major "fix" before redshirting can be implemented. As it stands now, 4 of the 7 football members have no serious graduate programs. Redshirting for those 4 would require a player to stick around for an extra year. Just for football. A tough sell.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 18th, 2019, 02:31 PM

Or the PL could stop sponsoring football as a sport and let the individual schools decided. The current situation is fatally flawed...

Leopard Loyalist
October 18th, 2019, 02:40 PM
Except for the Bucknell game, it seems that all of these could go either way.

LAFAYETTE @ GEORGETOWN

Harvard @ HOLY CROSS

LEHIGH @ FORDHAM

COLGATE @ Cornell

BUCKNELL @ Towson

RichH2
October 18th, 2019, 02:44 PM
An option perhaps owl but not necessarily a good one. To be a viable choice, there would need to be a significant new round of conference shuffling in the Northeast. Or the current football teams could form a deparate conference unaligned with the PL.

Oh well, back to this week . Craig Haley,FCS columnist for Athlon and STATS, has put out his 10 best games for Week 8.
At #10 is Lehigh vs Fordham. Haley picks Lehigh. Yup :)

Sader87
October 18th, 2019, 04:38 PM
Or the PL could stop sponsoring football as a sport and let the individual schools decided. The current situation is fatally flawed...

"Fatally flawed" seems a tad hyperbolic. There are problems no doubt but I think just about every school is still "learning" how to operate with scholarships with the other restrictions (roster size, no non-medical red-shirting etc etc).

It's somewhat ironic that the sport for which the Patriot nee Colonial League was created, football, is the one PL sport that seems to be having the most trouble lately.

There is no way the PL drops football (anytime soon anyway)....it is the sport that drives alumni involvement (Homecoming, Family Weekend, "Big Donor" events etc) at all the "core PL" schools anyway.

van
October 18th, 2019, 05:54 PM
with only 2500 undergrads, I am amazed that Lafayette tries to support 22 varsity sports, I'm guessing that over 20% of the student population are athletes, that has to be some kind of burden

Southsider
October 18th, 2019, 06:17 PM

Or, players can transfer to another PL school with a Grad program for their 5th year😎

RichH2
October 18th, 2019, 07:15 PM
Hoyas edge the Pards. They know how to win. Pards not yet.
Holy Cross in apparently a huuuuge upset.
Gate will break through vs Cornell.
Towson over Bison. A montain to high for Bucknell
Lehigh over Fordham. I expect a nailbiter.
Other than Buckies any game tomorrow could screw up my seemingly well thought out picks.

Gangtackle11
October 18th, 2019, 08:45 PM
Georgetown 24 Lafayette 14
Harvard 19 Holy Cross 17
Towson 42 Bucknell 10
Cornell 14 Colgate 13
Fordham 24 Lehigh 20

ngineer
October 18th, 2019, 09:08 PM
with only 2500 undergrads, I am amazed that Lafayette tries to support 22 varsity sports, I'm guessing that over 20% of the student population are athletes, that has to be some kind of burden

Without having done the research, I wonder how many sports are sponsored by the Southern Conference. They have several private and relatively small schools..Wofford is very small and Elon and Furman are PL school size I believe.

ngineer
October 18th, 2019, 09:25 PM
On the bus to The Bronx at 8:30 a.m..Weather looking absolutely gorgeous...Sunshine and high of 60F. Problem at Fordham's stadium, everyone looks into the sun facing south....

RichH2
October 18th, 2019, 09:52 PM
Wofford has 18 sports. Elon 17.

Sader87
October 18th, 2019, 11:01 PM
Holy Cross has 25 intercollegiate sports with an enrollment of about 3000

The way TPTB want it....we've basically turned into a participatory athletic school

RichH2
October 19th, 2019, 09:41 AM
There is nothing wrong with providing opportunities for students to compete in a sport. College is after all a place to grow and learn for students. That does not preclude a college's emphasis on certain sports to seek to excel vs other colleges. All should be part of the college experience. Colleges are for education not as just places to get a uniform. PL teams have college students playing sports not just players attending just to get a uniform. The balancing act between participation and higher levels of emphasis in a few sports is not easy.But, I think the effort is worthwhile. In those sports which a school chooses to emphasize, the effort should not be constrained by rules unrelated to academics. Those efforts must be a true attempt to excel.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 11:41 AM
Georgetown 7 Lafayette 0 7:41 1Q

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 11:56 AM
Lafayette TD!

7-7 14:30 2Q

BNiche
October 19th, 2019, 12:06 PM
At the Fordham/Lehigh game. Ref just said the replay system is on the fritz so all calls will stand. What.

BNiche
October 19th, 2019, 12:10 PM
At the Fordham/Lehigh game. Ref just said the replay system is on the fritz so all calls will stand. What.

And now it's fixed. No harm no foul.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 12:17 PM
Lehigh intercepts DeMorat when he makes a really bad throw. Hawks make the Rams pay with a great TD pass/catch. Call is reviewed and it stands...

7-0 Lehigh 8:39 1Q

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 12:41 PM
Fordham has a 3rd and 4 at the Lehigh 6 to start 2Q. The Ram OL is winning against the LU front 7

Hoyas 14 Pards 10 HALF

Harvard 17 Holy Cross 7 4:36 1Q

BNiche
October 19th, 2019, 12:41 PM
Zach Davis does what Zach Davis does, punching it in for the TD.

Tie game. 14:31 2Q

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 12:42 PM
TD Rams! They've already rushed for 117 yards.

7-7 14:31 2Q

PAllen
October 19th, 2019, 12:55 PM
TD Rams! They've already rushed for 117 yards.

7-7 14:31 2Q

Glad to see our defense has gotten better.

BNiche
October 19th, 2019, 12:57 PM
Lehigh with a huge stop after Fordham converted on a 4th and 1 in Lehigh's territory. Mevis with a 37 yarder to put Fordham up by 3. 4:53 left in the 2nd.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 12:58 PM
Holy Cross is getting destroyed at home. Just in case anyone needed a reminder as to how awful PL football is..

Crimson 24-7 11:18 2Q

Fordham adds a FG. They look much better than Lehigh...

Rams 10-7 4:53

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 01:06 PM
Lehigh responds with a great drive of their own. Fordham can't stop LU's passing and the Mountain Hawks have no answer for the Ram's ground attack...

Lehigh 14-10 1:40 2Q

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 01:18 PM
Lehigh 14 Fordham 10 Half

Both offenses have racked up yards but not a lot of points to show for it.

Cornell 3 Colgate 0 14:50 2Q
Georgetown 14 Lafayette 10 5:10 3Q

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 01:24 PM
Princeton is beating Brown 51-19 at half!

Harvard 24 Holy Cross 7 Half

Crusaders had 66 Total Yards and 1 first down. Cozier had a 66 yard TD run xeyebrowx

BNiche
October 19th, 2019, 01:39 PM
Davis with a 11-yard reversal and Demorat with the 55-yard option TD run.

Fordham up three with their opening drive of the half.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 01:39 PM
Boom! two rushing plays and a Ram TD! Their OL is destroying Lehigh's front 7....

Fordham 17-14 14:12 3Q

CHIP72
October 19th, 2019, 01:51 PM
The defensive struggle in DC continues; Georgetown leads Lafayette 14-10 early in the 4th quarter.

Lehigh with an opportunity here to get good field position if they stop Fordham.

(FWIW, I'm also watching Penn/Columbia, which the Lions lead 17-0 late in the 1st half, and D2 game Bloomsburg/East Stroudsburg as well at the moment.)

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 01:52 PM
HC with a quick answer in the 3rd quarter...

Crimson 24-14 14:27 3Q

CHIP72
October 19th, 2019, 02:01 PM
Lafayette facing a 4th and 4 inside the Georgetown 10 yard line with about 7 minutes left in the 4th quarter trailing 14-10.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 02:03 PM
It feels like Fordham is on the brink of taking control of this game.

CHIP72
October 19th, 2019, 02:03 PM
Lehigh needed to get some yards on that last possession; Fordham now has good field position starting at the 50 yard line.

Lafayette goes for the field goal, and misses the short attempt just wide left. Georgetown still leads 14-10 with 6:06 left in the 4th quarter.

CHIP72
October 19th, 2019, 02:06 PM
Lehigh's defense holds, but the offense needs to put together a drive to at least reverse field position. The Mountain Hawks start at their own 9 yard line.

- - - Updated - - -

Huge gain for Lehigh up to midfield on a long pass!

CHIP72
October 19th, 2019, 02:09 PM
Georgetown has moved the ball into Lafayette territory after the missed Leopards FG attempt. Time is a factor, there is a little more than 2 minutes left and Lafayette has two timeouts left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 02:10 PM
Lehigh's kicker drills a 45 yarder to tie the game. Some how Lehigh is hanging in...

17-17 0:22 3Q

CHIP72
October 19th, 2019, 02:12 PM
A couple of 4th down decisions and timeouts made a short time ago I want to mention.

Lehigh decides to punt on 4th and 2 near midfield trailing by 3 points and used a 2nd half timeout to decide - DID NOT LIKE.

Lafayette decides to attempt a FG on 4th and 4 inside the Georgetown 10 yard line with a little more than 6 minutes left trailing by 4 points and used a 2nd half timeout to decide - REALLY DID NOT LIKE

CHIP72
October 19th, 2019, 02:17 PM
Lafayette gets the stop on 4th and 2, but they take over inside their 30 yard line with 32 seconds and 2 timeouts, trailing by 4 points.

CHIP72
October 19th, 2019, 02:19 PM
Lafayette was able to move the ball inside the Georgetown 40 yard, but the Leopards QB Shoemaker gets tackled in bounds on a QB scramble and the clock runs out.

The Hoyas beat the Leopards 14-10.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 02:27 PM
Lehigh with a 95 yard TD run!! wow!! They hadn't been able to run at all!!

Lehigh 24-17 9:19 4Q

CHIP72
October 19th, 2019, 02:27 PM
Lehigh with a 94 yard TD run!!!

The Mountain Hawks lead 24-17 with 9:19 left in the 4th quarter.

BNiche
October 19th, 2019, 02:32 PM
Last three drives, Fordham couldn't run. This drive, all runs, Sneed TD.

Tie game again in the Bronx.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 02:33 PM
Fordham goes back to the ground and shreds Lehigh's defense to tie the game. The Rams have 316 yards rushing. Hawks run D looks like it did from '13-'18....

24-24 7:25 Q

Colgate TD
October 19th, 2019, 02:43 PM
Cornell 17, Colgate 14 in the third.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 02:46 PM
Lehigh makes it into Fordham territory but then goes backwards. Neither OL can pass protect....

Fordham ball at inside their own 10 with 52 seconds left in regulation....

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 02:49 PM
Rams content to the run the clock out. Headed for OT in the Bronx. Both of these teams have been in crazy close games this season....

Colgate TD
October 19th, 2019, 02:49 PM
Cornell 17, Colgate 14 in the third.

'Gate trying to keep it's "perfect" season alive at 0-8....

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 02:58 PM
Fordham gets to the Lehigh 4 but is forced to settle for a FG

Rams 27-24, Lehigh ball....

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 03:06 PM
Lehigh has 1st and goal at the 2 and goes backward. Their short yardage offense is terrible. Lehigh converts the FG. BUT a Fordham player crushes the Lehigh kicker and knocks himself out...1st and goal again...

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 03:08 PM
TD Lehigh!! Mountain Hawks win!!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 03:09 PM
Harvard 31 Holy Cross 21 Final

CHIP72
October 19th, 2019, 03:09 PM
Lehigh scores a TD in OT to beat Fordham 30-27. The Rams had a roughing the kicker penalty on a Lehigh FG attempt in OT that gave the Mountain Hawks a 1st down.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 03:10 PM
Lehigh scores a TD in OT to beat Fordham 30-27. The Rams had a roughing the kicker penalty on a Lehigh FG attempt in OT that gave the Mountain Hawks a 1st down.

That might have been one of the most obvious roughing the kicker calls I've seen. The Ram player looked like he was out cold....

BNiche
October 19th, 2019, 03:15 PM
Penalties were the name of the game today. Congrats to Lehigh - definitely showed more discipline throughout.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 03:18 PM
Penalties were the name of the game today. Congrats to Lehigh - definitely showed more discipline throughout.

Fordham had several momentum killing false starts. Those are two very evenly matched teams. Zach Davis is the best offensive player I've seen in the PL this season.

Bibbens had an excellent game for Lehigh. They absolutely needed him to play today.

CHIP72
October 19th, 2019, 03:18 PM
That might have been one of the most obvious roughing the kicker calls I've seen. The Ram player looked like he was out cold....

Yeah, you rarely see roughing the kicker penalties anymore, but that play was clearly a roughing call rather than a running into the kicker penalty.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 03:29 PM
Colgate 21 Cornell 20 7:26 4Q

Towson 7 Bucknell 0 6;32 1Q

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 03:47 PM
Towson has gone for the early TKO against Bucknell

21-0 End 1Q

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 03:50 PM
With Lafayette's loss today they're virtually assured of going the entire 2010's without a winning record. It's a complete disaster in Easton...

'10 2-9
'11 4-7
'12 5-6
'13 5-7 PL Champions
'14 5-6
'15 1-10
'16 2-9
'17 3-8
'18 3-8
'19 0-7.....

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 03:51 PM
Colgate survives against Cornell 21-20 to capture their first win of the season.....

ngineer
October 19th, 2019, 04:36 PM
On the South Side Booster bus and the drinks are flowing! Amazing game in terms of excitement. Rams really undisciplined. Hurt themselves with penalties. Some big stars in the game. Cannot forget PK who really challenged his limit with a 44 yarder. D got shredded at times but also came up with some big plays when needed. GOTW is at Goodman next week!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 05:47 PM
Towson 56 Bucknell 7 6:53 4Q

The PL still continuing the recent of tradition of failing in epic fashion in non-league games. Lehigh still has 1 left against Sacred Heart....

BNiche
October 19th, 2019, 06:16 PM
On the South Side Booster bus and the drinks are flowing! Amazing game in terms of excitement. Rams really undisciplined. Hurt themselves with penalties. Some big stars in the game. Cannot forget PK who really challenged his limit with a 44 yarder. D got shredded at times but also came up with some big plays when needed. GOTW is at Goodman next week!

Enjoy your drinks, well-deserved win!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 19th, 2019, 07:04 PM
Updated Power Rankings?
1. Lehigh - They get Georgetown and Holy Cross at Goodman. Pretty good by PL standards in all 3 phases.
2. Holy Cross - Didn't play well today but they kept fighting. Harvard is simply a better team.
3. Fordham - They have legit talent and can look so good at times. But they do a lot of dumb stuff....
4. Georgetown - A winning season seems assured but their offense is extremely limited.
5. Bucknell - They failed to show up today. Towson is good but the Bison showed no interest in competing.
6. Colgate - Sweeney's '95 team's historical place is still secure. It wasn't pretty but it's a win.
7. Lafayette - The dumpster fire grows. The decade has been an absolute disaster. The program is in a dire situation....

RichH2
October 19th, 2019, 08:18 PM
Updated Power Rankings?
1. Lehigh - They get Georgetown and Holy Cross at Goodman. Pretty good by PL standards in all 3 phases.
2. Holy Cross - Didn't play well today but they kept fighting. Harvard is simply a better team.
3. Fordham - They have legit talent and can look so good at times. But they do a lot of dumb stuff....
4. Georgetown - A winning season seems assured but their offense is extremely limited.
5. Bucknell - They failed to show up today. Towson is good but the Bison showed no interest in competing.
6. Colgate - Sweeney's '95 team's historical place is still secure. It wasn't pretty but it's a win.
7. Lafayette - The dumpster fire grows. The decade has been an absolute disaster. The program is in a dire situation....

Perfect. Thanks a good reality check.

ngineer
October 19th, 2019, 10:43 PM
Fordham had several momentum killing false starts. Those are two very evenly matched teams. Zach Davis is the best offensive player I've seen in the PL this season.

Bibbens had an excellent game for Lehigh. They absolutely needed him to play today.

Best play for Bibbens (and he had several excellent plays) was his block down field that sprang Hill for his 94 yard TD! What a game.

ngineer
October 19th, 2019, 10:46 PM
Updated Power Rankings?

Leopards have shown some good defense this year...but major problems elsewhere.

ngineer
October 19th, 2019, 10:53 PM
one of many highlights of the day was the Lehigh traveling pep band (about 15-20) marching into the Men's rest room playing Silver Goblet and the Theme from Star Wars! Yes, almost half the pep band is women who seemed to weather the invasion well...

RichH2
October 20th, 2019, 10:17 AM
one of many highlights of the day was the Lehigh traveling pep band (about 15-20) marching into the Men's rest room playing Silver Goblet and the Theme from Star Wars! Yes, almost half the pep band is women who seemed to weather the invasion well...

Epic. :) :)Didnt even know we had a Pep Band.

The Boogie Down
October 20th, 2019, 12:30 PM
Updated Power Rankings?

Even after the win (congrats!) I would still have HC first and Lehigh second. Other than that though, excellent write-up. Emphasis on Fordham because as bad as DeMorat has been these past 2 weeks, the talent is obviously there. Is the coaching?

ngineer
October 20th, 2019, 02:28 PM
Epic. :) :)Didnt even know we had a Pep Band.

Yes. The Marching 97 travel to one away game in full uniform. Other games they send a small contingent (which usually out plays the home team's conglomeration), but always a presence as we have a pretty good alumni following and they really add to the atmosphere.

ngineer
October 20th, 2019, 02:37 PM
Even after the win (congrats!) I would still have HC first and Lehigh second. Other than that though, excellent write-up. Emphasis on Fordham because as bad as DeMorat has been these past 2 weeks, the talent is obviously there. Is the coaching?

No question Rams have some excellent talent. Your RB, #9, imo, is the best offensive player in the league from what I've seen. DeMorat's mechanics need work. Physically, he is impressive. Your PK has an amazing leg--definitely NFL will be looking. But the number of personal fouls and false starts seems to indicate a lack of focus.discpline. I question our OC's ability. Some very questionable calls which should have been checked off based simply on the defensive front presented by Fordham. Yet, we continued to run into a brick wall on those plays. I am very optimistic for next year, regardless how this one turns out, with all the frosh and sophs playing. I also noticed how small both teams squads were. I doubt FU had more than 65 dressed...which at home says something. Lehigh only dressed about the same number at home anymore, too, due to injuries and a few quits.

ngineer
October 20th, 2019, 02:38 PM
Also, really curious about Fordham's win over Richmond. Were there some trick/fluke plays or did you beat them physically?

Fordham
October 21st, 2019, 08:51 AM
Hats off to Lehigh. Brutal game for us since I thought we were the better team or at least SHOULD have won that one. This one has already been parsed with a rightful focus on the lack of discipline. Demorat's gut pass bad-decision to give you guys the ball on around our 20 in the 1st combined with the numerous, numerous offsides penalties and the God awful roughing the kicker after we force the game-tying FG with 3 stops from the 2 yd line were stomach churning.

The 94 yd run was just the right play called at the right time. All American LB Glenn Cunningham was sent out wide on a stunt and they ran the play right at where he normally would have been. Obviously good blocking got him through the first level but there was literally no one there after that.

We were running so well early that I thought we were going to grind you guys down. Davis (#9) has been fantastic and then Sneed is a great pound-it change of pace guy. We were all set to have the field tilt in our direction and then we started with the off sides calls over and over and over. Next thing you know we're at 1st and 15 or 20 and it changes our play call. No more run the ball down your throats and that changed everything. That said, there were some good adjustments by Lehigh after Demorat had his long keeper TD since I saw him shadowed every time after that.

This Fordham team has shown fight all year long which is great. Best example is the winning TD with 20 or so seconds left in the Gtown game. I felt like the team approached the game Saturday as though they just assumed they would find a way to win at the end instead of treating every play, every possession as do-or-die. Could just be another harsh lesson learned for a young but talented team. I wrote on our board prior to this game that I feel we could beat anyone on our schedule from here on out but also lose to anyone and still feel that's the case.

eng, we physically handled Richmond, believe it not. Certainly would not say dominated them by any means but more than held our own on both lines. The DL in particular had a field day.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 21st, 2019, 11:39 AM
Hats off to Fordham for a really good game. Fordham and Lehigh were astoundingly close and the game could have honestly gone either way.

Everyone talks about the roughing the kicker call, but one curious call I noted was with first and goal at the 9 in OT, neither Davis nor Snead had his number called. I know at least part of that was due to Lehigh's run defense stiffening in the second half/OT, but surprising that they didn't put the ball in Snead's hands at least once.

ngineer
October 21st, 2019, 01:04 PM
Hats off to Lehigh. Brutal game for us since I thought we were the better team or at least SHOULD have won that one. This one has already been parsed with a rightful focus on the lack of discipline. Demorat's gut pass bad-decision to give you guys the ball on around our 20 in the 1st combined with the numerous, numerous offsides penalties and the God awful roughing the kicker after we force the game-tying FG with 3 stops from the 2 yd line were stomach churning.

The 94 yd run was just the right play called at the right time. All American LB Glenn Cunningham was sent out wide on a stunt and they ran the play right at where he normally would have been. Obviously good blocking got him through the first level but there was literally no one there after that.

We were running so well early that I thought we were going to grind you guys down. Davis (#9) has been fantastic and then Sneed is a great pound-it change of pace guy. We were all set to have the field tilt in our direction and then we started with the off sides calls over and over and over. Next thing you know we're at 1st and 15 or 20 and it changes our play call. No more run the ball down your throats and that changed everything. That said, there were some good adjustments by Lehigh after Demorat had his long keeper TD since I saw him shadowed every time after that.

This Fordham team has shown fight all year long which is great. Best example is the winning TD with 20 or so seconds left in the Gtown game. I felt like the team approached the game Saturday as though they just assumed they would find a way to win at the end instead of treating every play, every possession as do-or-die. Could just be another harsh lesson learned for a young but talented team. I wrote on our board prior to this game that I feel we could beat anyone on our schedule from here on out but also lose to anyone and still feel that's the case.

eng, we physically handled Richmond, believe it not. Certainly would not say dominated them by any means but more than held our own on both lines. The DL in particular had a field day.

I think this is true for the majority of the PL this year. At this point, Lehigh can run the table; but, I will not be surprised if we lose some more. All the games will be tight, so a weird bounce, a missed call, someone slips, a stupid penalty, etc., have significant impact and are magnified.

van
October 21st, 2019, 04:02 PM
I think this is true for the majority of the PL this year. At this point, Lehigh can run the table; but, I will not be surprised if we lose some more. All the games will be tight, so a weird bounce, a missed call, someone slips, a stupid penalty, etc., have significant impact and are magnified.Like our chances against Hoyas, Bucky and Pards, not so sure about Cross

ngineer
October 21st, 2019, 10:51 PM
Like our chances against Hoyas, Bucky and Pards, not so sure about Cross

True, the game on November 2 could well be for all the marbles if Lehigh gets by Georgetown and 'saders hold off 'gate. While still a couple games left on the schedule, the winner would be undefeated and should be highly motivated to charge home.