PDA

View Full Version : McNeese Cowboys at Central Arkansas Bears

McCowboys
October 7th, 2019, 09:25 AM
Weird things happen on this field when the Cowboys and Bears tangle!
What's the weather forecast for this Saturday?

Daytripper
October 7th, 2019, 10:28 AM
Based on what I've read from Bear, I will take McNeese this week.

BEAR
October 7th, 2019, 10:34 AM
Based on what I've read from Bear, I will take McNeese this week.

Me too. Not because McNeese or any other SLC team is better but because there's a little more going on at UCA right now that is affecting team moral. Cowboy fans will see if they watch our sidelines. They may already have us beat before the game starts. I'm voting for McNeese because I was sure Brown would have already had this fixed. Guess not.

Katfan
October 7th, 2019, 11:05 AM
Me too. Not because McNeese or any other SLC team is better but because there's a little more going on at UCA right now that is affecting team moral. Cowboy fans will see if they watch our sidelines. They may already have us beat before the game starts. I'm voting for McNeese because I was sure Brown would have already had this fixed. Guess not.
Hate to hear this!

Bisonoline
October 7th, 2019, 06:45 PM

Whats going on?????

grizband
October 7th, 2019, 06:50 PM

Hate to hear this!

Whats going on?????
Also curious, and agree you hate to hear about any off field distractions affecting a team.

BEAR
October 7th, 2019, 07:43 PM
Honestly it's a mix of many things. One new poster on our board said it like this: (and I wonder who this is a player or parent or other)

When you don’t demand discipline and allow things on and off the field, and reward bad attitudes, behavior and play favorites, for 2 years, this is what you get, inconsistent play. Those players know Brown won’t hold them accountable, and the ones who work their ass off and do things right on and off the field, make plays in fall, spring, and then still get no chance, get to the point where that don’t care. They know he’ll play who he wants. He may talk about doing things different, and holding players accountable in interviews, but it’s all BS. Karma is a ‘B’.

If you watch our games you don't see any adjustments until late in the games.

Talent isnt being used. We had two SEC WRs that haven't played yet but if you watch our spring practices they lit up the scrimmages. RBs that played last year are getting few reps.

On and on and on....
But just watch the sidelines. I've done it for nearly 40 years and you can tell a team is divided or players are checked out because they are already left out of the effort.

Its one one thing to get beat by better talent and more effort...but to get beat from within...fans check out. It's just not fair to the players or us.

Im betting on some coaching changes...hopefully sooner than later.

Outsider1
October 7th, 2019, 08:12 PM
Sorry Bear!

Bisonoline
October 7th, 2019, 08:50 PM
Honestly it's a mix of many things. One new poster on our board said it like this: (and I wonder who this is a player or parent or other)

If you watch our games you don't see any adjustments until late in the games.

Talent isnt being used. We had two SEC WRs that haven't played yet but if you watch our spring practices they lit up the scrimmages. RBs that played last year are getting few reps.

On and on and on....
But just watch the sidelines. I've done it for nearly 40 years and you can tell a team is divided or players are checked out because they are already left out of the effort.

Its one one thing to get beat by better talent and more effort...but to get beat from within...fans check out. It's just not fair to the players or us.

Im betting on some coaching changes...hopefully sooner than later.

Seniors need to take charge and start holding other players accountable.. Need to have a meeting with the coach. If he isnt willing then go to the AD.

FormerPokeCenter
October 7th, 2019, 08:53 PM
Clear, Bear's been taking sandbagging lessons from Doc. This is UCA's game by a wide margin.....

Puddin Tane
October 8th, 2019, 01:09 AM
Good things happen for UCA on that ugly field.

BEAR
October 8th, 2019, 07:28 AM
Clear, Bear's been taking sandbagging lessons from Doc. This is UCA's game by a wide margin.....

I wish.

Last year we had a very talented team but were knocked out of the race early by losing our two QBs and I came on here and said it then too. I'm serious about this. Unless something changes then UCA is doing the SLC a disservice by not presenting the best team in these games.

Serpentor
October 8th, 2019, 07:42 AM
You can't trick us BEAR, we know the evil sorcery that happens on Fruit Stripe Gum Field! Central Arkansas by +100000.

McNeese75
October 8th, 2019, 09:15 AM

Kinda what I was thinking xnodx

BEAR
October 8th, 2019, 09:47 AM
Any of you Cowboy fans coming to Conway? xeyebrowx

McNeese75
October 8th, 2019, 10:26 AM
There will be some going for sure. I will not make it this year.

McNeese72
October 8th, 2019, 11:06 AM
Any of you Cowboy fans coming to Conway? xeyebrowx

Right now, I plan on coming with cameras in hand. Unless something changes between now and then.

Doc

BEAR
October 8th, 2019, 11:58 AM
Right now, I plan on coming with cameras in hand. Unless something changes between now and then.

Doc

I figured you would! Glad to have any fans there!

BEAR
October 8th, 2019, 05:46 PM
Almost forgot this is the Red Beans and Rice Bowl. Support your favorite charitable food pantry!

McCowboys
October 8th, 2019, 06:58 PM
McNeese has not won a road game in over a year. The last road win for the Cowboys came in September 2018 against HBU in Houston.

I think I read somewhere that the overall series between the Bears and Cowboys is tied at 3-3. But the road team has won on the other's field.

Weird things happen down on the bayou (Nicholls), but some strange things have happened when these two have tangled on the stripes, too.

Most recent odds I saw had UCA favored by 7 points.

BEAR
October 9th, 2019, 10:28 AM
You know things are going bad when things like even the videoboard mess up and the AD has to apologize. xlolx

What I don't get is they got a bigger videoboard but when the game is going they shrink it to fit in all the ads and time/score etc. So basically its the same size as the old board...

https://twitter.com/UCA_Football/status/1181621836846682113

BEAR
October 9th, 2019, 11:58 AM
McNeese fans:

If you come to the game you will likely see a HUGE area of campus close to the field dug up and leveled. Please excuse the construction. They razed a few buildings to get ready to build this:

https://uca.edu/news/files/2019/10/UCA-INTEGRATED-HEALTH-SCIENCES-1.jpg

The University of Central Arkansas Board of Trustees and President Houston Davis will host a special groundbreaking ceremony for the UCA Integrated Health Sciences Building at 1 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 11 at the corner of Bruce Street and Western Avenue on the UCA campus. The 80,000 square-foot facility will be home to the School of Nursing and the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders, along with the Nabholz Center for Healthcare Simulation and an Interprofessional Teaching Center to be utilized by the entire college.

Also along Donaghey next to College Avenue where many McNeese fans tailgate will be the new Fraternity Greek Village II. They will be located across the road from the Sorority Greek Village houses. They all look pretty much the same but with different porch entrances.

https://uca.edu/gogreek/files/2014/02/Greek-Village-House-Design-2-Jan.-3-2014-300x179.jpg

bwbear
October 9th, 2019, 01:18 PM
You know things are going bad when things like even the videoboard mess up and the AD has to apologize. xlolx

What I don't get is they got a bigger videoboard but when the game is going they shrink it to fit in all the ads and time/score etc. So basically its the same size as the old board...

They got the big board to display more ads obviously.... :(

Here's my take on UCA right now:

1. Our offensive coordinator needs to go.

If you look at Steve Campbell's last couple of years (with Nathan as OC/QB's coach), we were explosive on offense. We could run. We could pass. I would argue that Breylin is a MUCH better quarterback than Hildebrand was. I would also say that we have as much talent on the team now, albeit fairly young talent. We should be able to spread it out more, go pass first, and then run, but OC Ken Collums seems to be stubborn with our two outstanding RB's (but a line that cannot open up holes).

So what happens? We don't score for a while, we get our teeth kicked up front, wear out the line, and then when we have to mount a comeback, the line from trying to run block unsuccessfully.

Whatever he and the staff are seeing on film and trying to script up, isn't working. DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT!

And he does the same thing game, after game, after game. You know what they say the definition of insanity is, right? Here's your clue: DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT! Nathan Brown addressed this at the Bear Backers lunch, but did not say what was going to be changed offensively, just that everything is being evaluated.

2. Defense looks undisciplined

Last week, on the first drive, two dumb penalties hurt us. Not only did we get dumb penalties, but we had so many blown assignments. You would think we would keep one LB keyed in on the QB for a busted pass play/scramble. No, instead we let the QB scamper for 5, 10, 15 yards, whatever it takes to get the first down and extend the drive. Someone needs to stay at home and play contain on the QB during pass plays. No one is.

Combine that with whatever BEAR has knowledge of, and this year is not UCA's year (I suspected that next year may be the year, with the QB/WR's all being sophomores and the OL being fairy young too). Whatever is happening, it is Nathan Brown's job to address, fix, and make the tough decision. His first one should be limiting the OC's involvement with the offense, take over play calling, and be the one that works with the QB's.

I'm begrudgingly going McNeese on this one. Last week Nicholls exposed our weaknesses, and it was only a matter of time.

BEAR
October 9th, 2019, 02:30 PM
1. Our offensive coordinator needs to go.

Whatever is happening, it is Nathan Brown's job to address, fix, and make the tough decision. His first one should be limiting the OC's involvement with the offense, take over play calling, and be the one that works with the QB's.

Maybe now those on this board who think I am sandbagging will actually see it. xcoffeex

Outsider1
October 9th, 2019, 02:45 PM
Maybe now those on this board who think I am sandbagging will actually see it. xcoffeex

When he was OC for us he did a pretty good job. Those were the days that we would score above 50 points fairly consistently and our 98-63 game against West TX. It was the discipline issues when he became HC. Some of that can be the difference between DII and DI. I was surprised when your offense wasn’t more aggressive. With him as OC we ran and threw both when we had the playmakers to do so.

BEAR
October 9th, 2019, 02:50 PM
When he was OC for us he did a pretty good job. Those were the days that we would score above 50 points fairly consistently and our 98-63 game against West TX. It was the discipline issues when he became HC. Some of that can be the difference between DII and DI. I was surprised when your offense wasn’t more aggressive. With him as OC we ran and threw both when we had the playmakers to do so.

I said that same thing EVERY GAME this year. We have the talent to be more aggressive...but we just don't use it. Someone needs to step up and DO something!

McCowboys
October 9th, 2019, 05:33 PM
Da Bears have lived on the road this season. Last weekend, they had a LONG journey down to Thibodaux and had to dress in a tent because there was no visitor dressing room.

Now they are back home and home cures a lot of what ails you. Brown has said the Bears will be ready for the Cowboys. I'm sure he has some good memories about the Cowboys from his playing days and from the tough loss in Lake Charles last season.

As I said, McNeese has not won a road game in over a year, and their being a 7-point underdog probably takes that fact into account.

BEAR
October 9th, 2019, 05:49 PM
Da Bears have lived on the road this season. Last weekend, they had a LONG journey down to Thibodaux and had to dress in a tent because there was no visitor dressing room.

Now they are back home and home cures a lot of what ails you. Brown has said the Bears will be ready for the Cowboys. I'm sure he has some good memories about the Cowboys from his playing days and from the tough loss in Lake Charles last season.

As I said, McNeese has not won a road game in over a year, and their being a 7-point underdog probably takes that fact into account.

Its October 12th this Saturday. It's only our second home game this YEAR!

McCowboys
October 9th, 2019, 06:41 PM
Its October 12th this Saturday. It's only our second home game this YEAR!

UCA and Nicholls both should fire their schedule maker! I'm sure the Bears will want to impress the home crowd.

lionsrking2
October 10th, 2019, 02:31 AM
I was impressed with McNeese. They'll be a factor down the stretch and could darkhorse their way to at-large consideration, especially if they steal one in Conway.

FormerPokeCenter
October 10th, 2019, 07:34 AM
McNeese is still McNeese....you're not going to be able to run on the McNeese D. You'll probably have some passing success, though....The only fly in the ointment is the new offensive scheme. But, I see light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm an old school guy, so I've never been a big fan of transfers. Andrea Anderson a few years ago was the exception and now, Elijah Mack is another one. The kid plays hard, he works the sideline getting his teammates up and he loves contact. The other thing I love about this kid is that he's not a "prance-around 'Look at me' kinda kid"..He's a yeoman. He works hard and he knows the offense.

I like this kid...he's my favorite McTransfer, ever. If the rest of our kids would learn to play with the focused intensity that he does, McNeese would win out this year...including the playoffs.

It's no surprise to me that there was a convergence of him having a break out game and the McOffense offense finally working as intended. McNeese could be scary if they're able to build on that.

McCowboys
October 10th, 2019, 08:53 AM
I've been checking the weather forecast for Conway. I don't want to jinx anything, but so far it's looking like good football weather! Geaux Pokes!

BEAR
October 10th, 2019, 09:30 AM
I've been checking the weather forecast for Conway. I don't want to jinx anything, but so far it's looking like good football weather! Geaux Pokes!

Dress warmly at night Pokes! xlolx

Seriously. I walked through campus this morning and they are making it look NICE! Mowing, edging, planting, powerwashing etc... and those temps at game time....NICE!

https://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31157

bwbear
October 10th, 2019, 09:35 AM

Seriously. I walked through campus this morning and they are making it look NICE! Mowing, edging, planting, powerwashing etc... and those temps at game time....NICE!

Todd Yukobian (local weather guy for those not in central AR) says tomorrow is going to go from 70's in the morning to low 50's early afternoon. Saturday looks ideal for football weather.

Daytripper
October 10th, 2019, 09:38 AM
McNeese fans:

If you come to the game you will likely see a HUGE area of campus close to the field dug up and leveled. Please excuse the construction. They razed a few buildings to get ready to build this:

https://uca.edu/news/files/2019/10/UCA-INTEGRATED-HEALTH-SCIENCES-1.jpg

The University of Central Arkansas Board of Trustees and President Houston Davis will host a special groundbreaking ceremony for the UCA Integrated Health Sciences Building at 1 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 11 at the corner of Bruce Street and Western Avenue on the UCA campus. The 80,000 square-foot facility will be home to the School of Nursing and the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders, along with the Nabholz Center for Healthcare Simulation and an Interprofessional Teaching Center to be utilized by the entire college.

Also along Donaghey next to College Avenue where many McNeese fans tailgate will be the new Fraternity Greek Village II. They will be located across the road from the Sorority Greek Village houses. They all look pretty much the same but with different porch entrances.

https://uca.edu/gogreek/files/2014/02/Greek-Village-House-Design-2-Jan.-3-2014-300x179.jpg

Very Nice.

McCowboys
October 10th, 2019, 01:25 PM

Sprucing things up for the Cowboys or fattening us up for the kill?

Nice weather, though!

BEAR
October 10th, 2019, 02:33 PM
Sprucing things up for the Cowboys or fattening us up for the kill?

Nice weather, though!

No doubt! Football weather if I've ever seen it!

But it's also day one of modern gun. You will see more of this than people in the stands as an expected 200,000 people are heading for the woods. Heard there was an overpopulation this year. Plenty of meat to be harvested. xbawlingx

https://ix-cdn.brightedge.com/images/15074/15074_cbc843982c724aa3bec448aa0240a1d2_1533753980. jpeg

BEAR
October 10th, 2019, 02:35 PM
Very Nice.

That's me on the bike on the bottom of the picture. xpeacex

McNeese75
October 10th, 2019, 02:37 PM
That's me on the bike on the bottom of the picture. xpeacex

bicycle???? (or motor) :D

BEAR
October 10th, 2019, 02:42 PM
bicycle???? (or motor) :D

xlolx I'm too out of shape to ride a bicycle.
https://media.giphy.com/media/11iBXFNs454Jtm/giphy.gif

BEAR
October 10th, 2019, 02:56 PM
Saturday you may see members of our Student-Athlete Advisory Committee roaming around the tailgates and the Estes Stadium stands. If you can, please help them in their fundraising efforts for the Cardinal Emergency Fund as we help out our friends at Lamar University (https://www.facebook.com/LamarUniversity/?__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARDZX7d1txyxyptImB4p2g56Exw0qKn Vo0_ciZjrXR480nr8_QqNGanO4Iz4mrFCPznvExhR7xuW1OXtc CKFjoFJljrw08CJu6Vu_R4tQ8TuK128M0KP95VdNz1ScGYTzp4 jIFXPoCRCPM59hwh1jjAQDgREDt1LFDICdmqWFN7323_PS8bsX 1SMobL9raqEfX26RQWp29dGiDDxd2Fq1L-bTcTIL_ODCEatwaiLETvzwUVdS4EpIj_i9EoE2a_HbnSotl-bNcyFpT94prZ39PZWXQvA_LnKo1U-L9L31_I8GPSUM9PJThr9V0zK29lOFSN0ivnpkzchp0XjEFmT&__tn__=%2CdK%2AF-R&eid=ARA4F3CxgbxVzJBxalIhobAZFRCWNTVE1I50SMGKTgJjMc BJpgG3Dsfmj1oU_aBmVmMOWbbegkwkkJky) in their efforts to bounce back from last month's floods brought on by Tropical Storm Imelda.

All funds raised will be presented during our football game in Beaumont on Nov. 2.

https://scontent.ftul1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/72781735_10156216198201580_434331466910924800_o.jp g?_nc_cat=108&_nc_oc=AQkfDC4IyjZ0rG3pQE2di7F_EQr9dZD7ftmiCQKrTIq y2Hqae3AhweQT2CVFYvVrdNI&_nc_ht=scontent.ftul1-1.fna&oh=4878ef6bac5e56f4f7cf7e8f687cd7aa&oe=5E2B918E

McCowboys
October 10th, 2019, 05:46 PM
Saturday you may see members of our Student-Athlete Advisory Committee roaming around the tailgates and the Estes Stadium stands. If you can, please help them in their fundraising efforts for the Cardinal Emergency Fund as we help out our friends at Lamar University (https://www.facebook.com/LamarUniversity/?__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARDZX7d1txyxyptImB4p2g56Exw0qKn Vo0_ciZjrXR480nr8_QqNGanO4Iz4mrFCPznvExhR7xuW1OXtc CKFjoFJljrw08CJu6Vu_R4tQ8TuK128M0KP95VdNz1ScGYTzp4 jIFXPoCRCPM59hwh1jjAQDgREDt1LFDICdmqWFN7323_PS8bsX 1SMobL9raqEfX26RQWp29dGiDDxd2Fq1L-bTcTIL_ODCEatwaiLETvzwUVdS4EpIj_i9EoE2a_HbnSotl-bNcyFpT94prZ39PZWXQvA_LnKo1U-L9L31_I8GPSUM9PJThr9V0zK29lOFSN0ivnpkzchp0XjEFmT&__tn__=%2CdK%2AF-R&eid=ARA4F3CxgbxVzJBxalIhobAZFRCWNTVE1I50SMGKTgJjMc BJpgG3Dsfmj1oU_aBmVmMOWbbegkwkkJky) in their efforts to bounce back from last month's floods brought on by Tropical Storm Imelda.

All funds raised will be presented during our football game in Beaumont on Nov. 2.

https://scontent.ftul1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/72781735_10156216198201580_434331466910924800_o.jp g?_nc_cat=108&_nc_oc=AQkfDC4IyjZ0rG3pQE2di7F_EQr9dZD7ftmiCQKrTIq y2Hqae3AhweQT2CVFYvVrdNI&_nc_ht=scontent.ftul1-1.fna&oh=4878ef6bac5e56f4f7cf7e8f687cd7aa&oe=5E2B918E

That is an awesome gesture! Thanks, UCA!

BEAR
October 10th, 2019, 09:54 PM

The flooding earlier in the year came within likely a mile of the residents of west Conway. That dam was close to breaking and that would have been devastating. We get it. Family sticks together.

Daytripper
October 11th, 2019, 06:34 AM

Well done. Great gesture.

BEAR
October 11th, 2019, 07:22 AM
Hey if any of you McNeese fans haven't left yet and can pick up some boudin I'll buy that from you with a little extra for delivery! Don't get the real stuff here and the family loves it!

McCowboys
October 11th, 2019, 07:46 AM
Hey if any of you McNeese fans haven't left yet and can pick up some boudin I'll buy that from you with a little extra for delivery! Don't get the real stuff here and the family loves it!

If no one gets your message on time, try this online site: https://www.cajungrocer.com/ I live in Houston and have ordered quite a few things from them over the years. My orders have been packed in dry ice.

BEAR
October 11th, 2019, 08:31 AM
If no one gets your message on time, try this online site: https://www.cajungrocer.com/ I live in Houston and have ordered quite a few things from them over the years. My orders have been packed in dry ice.

Sweet. Thanks for the site! The only crap we get here is the Walmart brand and every once in a while a former Louisiana resident who is a pretty darn good cook will sell it local but that is not often enough. I'll see if I get a hit from one of your fans and if not then I'll just order from the website. On our last trip to Lake Charles we stopped over at a place called Billy's Boudin and Cracklins (Scott, Louisiana) . http://www.billysboudin.com/ It was right off the highway so it was an easy pickup so we could just drive on! What a line though! Made the drive back sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

BEAR
October 11th, 2019, 08:47 AM
https://scontent.ftul1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/72431280_3304184932932530_2020231704119083008_o.jp g?_nc_cat=103&_nc_oc=AQlxdZr9vWDexd5skFbM06N7nqo7pz6-nBfFHoPeACk9vy-GJo7EwIMGYY1JiN2eQkw&_nc_ht=scontent.ftul1-1.fna&oh=01225ddf7c464b827e7cf514950cba26&oe=5E28F2E8

Bisonoline
October 11th, 2019, 04:01 PM

I love that place. I order from there on a regular basis.

I wish they handled LeBlancs. Great crawfish boudin.

BEAR
October 12th, 2019, 05:10 PM
Our receivers aren’t even on the same page as our QB xlolx

bwbear
October 12th, 2019, 06:26 PM
Our receivers aren’t even on the same page as our QB xlolx

They pulled Winningham for a bit after that. Three wrong routes in the first half.

BEAR
October 12th, 2019, 07:17 PM
They pulled Winningham for a bit after that. Three wrong routes in the first half.

I saw one pass to the Arkansas transfer

bwbear
October 12th, 2019, 08:31 PM
I saw one pass to the Arkansas transfer

I think we start playing the guys that can run the routes. Breylin was 28-41, and half of the incomplete were because the receiver went to the wrong spot.

I saw Ken Collums looking at #5 multiple times tonight and talking to him about the routes. Breylin just kept looking at him wondering where he was.

A win is a win though. McNeese played great. Our defense did not have it tonight, and somehow we still escape with the W.

McCowboys
October 13th, 2019, 06:04 AM
It was a very exciting and entertaining game, not a lot of defense, but then there were some good defensive stops near the goal line, and the offenses had some real big plays. Lots of mistakes by both teams. McNeese is coming around, but they need to learn how to win on the road like they used to be able to do. Three conference losses now, and the majority of games on the road loom ahead, and so hopes of playoffs are pretty much out the window barring miracles.

As for the rest of the SLC, I am quite stunned by some of the other results. Is it parity or inconsistency? Any Given Saturday!

McNeese75
October 13th, 2019, 10:38 AM
Mistakes down the stretch obviously were a major factor in the loss yesterday. However, I am somewhat impressed with the progress of this team. They don't quit and have been improving each week (regardless of what our beat writer thinks). Give us another year or so in this new system and a couple recruiting classes by the current staff and who knows. xnodx

McCowboys
October 13th, 2019, 11:56 AM
Mistakes down the stretch obviously were a major factor in the loss yesterday. However, I am somewhat impressed with the progress of this team. They don't quit and have been improving each week (regardless of what our beat writer thinks). Give us another year or so in this new system and a couple recruiting classes by the current staff and who knows. xnodx

I agree! I am not happy with a loss, of course, but the progress from game one until now is giving me hope for the future.

Puddin Tane
October 15th, 2019, 12:20 AM

thanks, UCA. that’s classy