PDA

View Full Version : #5 Villanova @ #2 James Madison

Gangtackle11
October 6th, 2019, 08:42 AM
#5 Villanova (6-0, 3-0) @ James Madison (5-1, 2-0)

Game time: 1:30pm. Family Weekend @ JMU

James Madison leads the series 16-11

Last game: JMU won 37-0 @ Villanova 10/13/2018

Last Villanova win: 49-31 @ Villanova 9/20/2014

CHIP72
October 6th, 2019, 09:19 AM
For people who live in the DC or Baltimore areas, as well as south central Pennsylvania, all/most of Maryland or Virginia, portions of West Virginia, portions of North Carolina, and I think Delaware (definitely Sussex County, and possibly the other two counties), this game will be televised on MASN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 6th, 2019, 09:39 AM
This would be a really fun game to attend! I think JMU will bounce back after yesterday's survival game against SBU...

jmu007
October 6th, 2019, 10:11 AM
In the odd scheduling trivia category... this will be JMU’s 3rd of 5 consecutive weeks playing in either a homecoming or family weekend game.

@Elon, Family Weekend
@Stony Brook, Homecoming
Villanova, Family Weekend
@W&M, Homecoming
Towson, Homecoming

Hopefully everyone sold plenty of tickets with JMU on there haha.

jmufan999
October 6th, 2019, 11:19 AM
the poll feels a little contrived... don't they usually just have "JMU wins" or "Villanova wins"? if you were going to do single digitis/double digits, why not provide the same poll choices for Villanova?

Gangtackle11
October 6th, 2019, 12:25 PM
the poll feels a little contrived... don't they usually just have "JMU wins" or "Villanova wins"? if you were going to do single digitis/double digits, why not provide the same poll choices for Villanova?

My feeling is the Vegas line will be 8-10 points. Figure people will see it as JMU covering or just winning without a cover. I’ll wait for the line & adjust. I doubt any will vote for a Nova blow out win. xpeacex

RootinFerDukes
October 6th, 2019, 01:14 PM
I have no freaking clue how this game will go. Both underwhelmed this week. I'm going to wait until later in the week to vote in this poll.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 6th, 2019, 01:21 PM
Going with the home team in this one.

POD Knows
October 6th, 2019, 01:23 PM
JMU curb stomps Nova, Nova is a paper tiger.

Gangtackle11
October 6th, 2019, 01:36 PM

This attitude has propelled Nova to its 3-0 start in the CAA (I admit the 3 wins over PL teams were trash). Team has unified behind the “no respect” thing. Might not be enough to beat JMU, but it’s been a good thing so far. I also think the nation is underestimating Dan Smith. Kids a gunslinger. We will ride him as far as he wants to take us. Thank you Campbell University. xpeacex

POD Knows
October 6th, 2019, 01:41 PM
This attitude has propelled Nova to its 3-0 start in the CAA (I admit the 3 wins over PL teams were trash). Team has unified behind the “no respect” thing. Might not be enough to beat JMU, but it’s been a good thing so far. I also think the nation is underestimating Dan Smith. Kids a gunslinger. We will ride him as far as he wants to take us. Thank you Campbell University. xpeacexMaybe, maybe not. We will see. GOTW in my opinion.

RootinFerDukes
October 6th, 2019, 02:02 PM
I think it's DiNucci and Smith as the top two CAA QBs so far. I'm definitely worried about Smith next week. How is Smith's mobility?

Gangtackle, how is VU's defense holding up? That'll be the difference.

caribbeanhen
October 6th, 2019, 02:18 PM

POD only on this thread because he sees both of these teams as a threat

possible big playoff matchup later down the road with the bison

anything he says is a vice versa Haha

POD Knows
October 6th, 2019, 02:25 PM
POD only on this thread because he sees both of these teams as a threat

possible big playoff matchup later down the road with the bison

anything he says is a vice versa HahaNot necessarily, sometimes I don't even know myself what I am trying to do. It gets confusing. I do think that JMU wins this one but Nova has surprised thus far. I haven't had a chance to actually watch either one of them play. I wouldn't mind going to JMU to play in the semi's when JMU gets the 2 seed and NDSU gets the 3 seed (SDSU gets the 1 seed) #bookit

smilo
October 6th, 2019, 07:24 PM
I don't understand how Villanova could be a paper tiger when we are a consistent national power, not some basement dweller that came out of nowhere. When Villanova has a losing season, it's not due to lack of talent but rather due to injuries decimating a private school that lacks depth beyond it's scholarship players. And we've gotten especially unlucky at the quarterback position multiple times. The defense is always there, especially the run defense but generally the talent is at every position. We always have an amazing HB. We put OL in the NFL. Receiving depth can be iffy. And it just comes down to the QB (and kicker lol). 2014 was great until John Robertson went down in the playoffs. Ditto 2016. ZB was not a quality option in 2017 and then when he was an option in a promising 2018, we lost him too (not to mention many others).

Daniel Smith once again appears to be the real deal and perhaps the best since Robertson. No, I don't think Villanova is a national title threat because various injuries will take their toll. But the record to date is justified given the talent and coaching. I think this is legitimately a top 5 team.

That being said, I don't see how we win in Harrisonburg. Doesn't make Nova any less of a top 8 or even top 5 team to lose here by 14 or so.

The place where I am most nervous about being exposed is @UNH.

HailSzczur
October 6th, 2019, 08:03 PM
Any word on Covington?

MR. CHICKEN
October 6th, 2019, 10:45 PM
[QUOTE=smilo;2810403]I don't understand how Villanova could be a paper tiger when we are a consistent national power, not some basement dweller that came out of nowhere. When Villanova has a losing season, it's not due to lack of talent but rather due to injuries decimating a private school that lacks depth beyond it's scholarship players. And we've gotten especially unlucky at the quarterback position multiple times. The defense is always there, especially the run defense but generally the talent is at every position. We always have an amazing HB. We put OL in the NFL. Receiving depth can be iffy. And it just comes down to the QB (and kicker lol). 2014 was great until John Robertson went down in the playoffs. Ditto 2016. ZB was not a quality option in 2017 and then when he was an option in a promising 2018, we lost him too (not to mention many others).

Daniel Smith once again appears to be the real deal and perhaps the best since Robertson. No, I don't think Villanova is a national title threat because various injuries will take their toll. But the record to date is justified given the talent and coaching. I think this is legitimately a top 5 team.

That being said, I don't see how we win in Harrisonburg. Doesn't make Nova any less of a top 8 or even top 5 team to lose here by 14 or so.

.........LOSE BAH 14...OR MO'......SAY BYE-BYE TA TOP 8........LESSIN'.....9-15 CRASH.......BRAWK!

MR. CHICKEN
October 7th, 2019, 06:56 AM
.....DIS IS WHERE JMU'S....WEST VIRGINNY GAME.....PAYS DIVIDENDS............THINK STONY WAS DAT GOOD??........DOOKIES....WERE CONSERVIN' FUEL.......FO' DIS SATURDAY......WHAA DID 'NOVA LEARN.....IN SERVIN'S UH PATRIOT SPONGE CAKE?........BRAWK!

KPSUL
October 7th, 2019, 06:57 AM
My feeling is the Vegas line will be 8-10 points. Figure people will see it as JMU covering or just winning without a cover. I’ll wait for the line & adjust. I doubt any will vote for a Nova blow out win. xpeacex

No doubt Carib Hen would pick Nova to win by 10 or more!

KPSUL
October 7th, 2019, 07:08 AM
- -

I don't understand how Villanova could be a paper tiger when we are a consistent national power, not some basement dweller that came out of nowhere. When Villanova has a losing season, it's not due to lack of talent but rather due to injuries decimating a private school that lacks depth beyond it's scholarship players. And we've gotten especially unlucky at the quarterback position multiple times. The defense is always there, especially the run defense but generally the talent is at every position. We always have an amazing HB. We put OL in the NFL. Receiving depth can be iffy. And it just comes down to the QB (and kicker lol). 2014 was great until John Robertson went down in the playoffs. Ditto 2016. ZB was not a quality option in 2017 and then when he was an option in a promising 2018, we lost him too (not to mention many others).

The place where I am most nervous about pricing ourselves is @UNH.

UNH should be a lock for the playoffs. We just handled FCS #25, all we have to do now is knock off #s 2, 5, 19, 20 and 21 playing with two Freshmen QBs and we're in for sure!

MR. CHICKEN
October 7th, 2019, 07:17 AM
- -

UNH should be a lock for the playoffs. We just handled FCS #25, all we have to do now is knock off #s 2, 5, 19, 20 and 21 playing with two Freshmen QBs and we're in for sure!

.....KNOW YER POST...IS IN JEST.....SYRUP BREATH.........MAKE SURE ELON.....GETS YER X-MAS CARD.....FO' DUH TWO PICK SIX'S............................................. ......................BRAWK!

KPSUL
October 7th, 2019, 07:34 AM
.....KNOW YER POST...IS IN JEST.....SYRUP BREATH.........MAKE SURE ELON.....GETS YER X-MAS CARD.....FO' DUH TWO PICK SIX'S............................................. ......................BRAWK!
xlolx xlmaox

OK, I'll give'm back the 14 pts for the 2 pix six and save money on the XMass Card - we still win by 2!

caribbeanhen
October 7th, 2019, 07:43 AM
No doubt Carib Hen would pick Nova to win by 10 or more!

JMU wins by 3

Bisonator
October 7th, 2019, 07:48 AM
JMU usually bounces back after a close game. I picked them by double digits.

Gangtackle11
October 7th, 2019, 08:16 AM
Any word on Covington?

Not yet.

caribbeanhen
October 7th, 2019, 08:40 AM
Covington .... I would be surprised if he plays this week, looked bad to me, I have no idea though....

I saw another Nova RB limping around on the sidelines after that play......

injuries are no good not even for Nova

vutomcat
October 7th, 2019, 08:48 AM
i'm afraid the injury bug may keep the Cats from victory lane this Saturday. They may be without arguably their best two players on O and D. On offense, Justin Covington second leading rusher in FCS, went down against W&M and their best defensive player and leading tackler Jaquan Amos ( 9 tackles and an interception in last years game) has been out the last two weeks. Add in starting linebacker Amin Black (out for year) and a couple others and lack of depth takes it's toll again.

Hard to get injury status from the Main Line but it appears Covington's injury was not severe and Amos was on the depth chart last week so maybe they will play. If they do and, they are healthy, it should be a great game in Harrisonburg. If not, and their injuries linger thru the year, I can see the Cats losing two or three games (take your pick JMU, Stony Brook, UNH, Delaware) in the second half of the year and limping into the playoffs.

If Covington and Amos come back healthy they will be dangerous come playoffs though.

Gangtackle11
October 7th, 2019, 10:16 AM
Next man up.....no excuses from where I sit. xpeacex

vutomcat
October 7th, 2019, 10:28 AM

The sentiment is great GT. I'm sure that's what the team and coaches are thinking, but the reality is that injuries to significant contributors makes a difference. We have decent backups so maybe they can pull it off. GO CATS!

Gangtackle11
October 7th, 2019, 11:36 AM
The Dan Smith show. Gotta believe! xpeacex

paward
October 7th, 2019, 02:31 PM
On paper JMU should win. Nova is about as luckier team as one can ever be. Lady luck prevails here.

Gangtackle11
October 7th, 2019, 02:47 PM
On paper JMU should win. Nova is about as luckier team as one can ever be. Lady luck prevails here.
Ahhh....humm.....you picked JMU in the CAA pick’em. xnodx xpeacex

Derby City Duke
October 7th, 2019, 07:33 PM
The JMU secondary, better known as the Land of Wide Open Receivers, will get the Dukes beat this week -- and in future weeks if they don't figure it out soon. Jimmy Moreland, Jordan Brown, and Raven Greene ain't walking through that locker room door.

Villanova by 14.

grayghost06
October 7th, 2019, 08:28 PM
Dukes need a healthy Robinson and Tutt at the corners. With both out, it's a liability back there.

ngineer
October 7th, 2019, 08:54 PM
This should be an entertaining game. I saw 'nova early in the season and while we scrapped with them, you could see they had a team that was a going to get better as the season went on, barring significant injuries. Their new QB was impressive, they have a strong RB and big line, so they have the elements to beat JMU, but they'd have to play a near error free game and few teams do that. We would have been right with 'nova in the second half without two bonehead plays that resulted in 14 points. But that's part of what being a good or bad team is. At home, I pick JMU by 8.

vutomcat
October 8th, 2019, 08:23 AM
The latest out of the Main Line is that Covington wanted to go back in the game at W&M so it sounds like he will be playing. Still undergoing MRI and x-rays early this week (today?) though.

Gangtackle11
October 8th, 2019, 08:29 AM
I think it's DiNucci and Smith as the top two CAA QBs so far. I'm definitely worried about Smith next week. How is Smith's mobility?

Gangtackle, how is VU's defense holding up? That'll be the difference.

Smith is probably 5’11” on his tippy toes, but he’s got a strong & most times accurate arm. (he was off vs. W&M in 1st half missing open receivers down field.) He is very mobile. Has sneaky elusiveness like Flacco. He has plenty of good receivers & he uses them all. He’s the real deal.

Defensively, Nova plays 3-3-5 and has given up 45, 17, 28 in the CAA games. They are more of a bend dont break defense. Undersized upfront, but LBs that fill quickly to be a pretty good run defense. JMU is a prolific run team. We’ll see how Nova handles a great run team. Jaquan Amos expected back at CB. That’s a big boost as he & Benford are a dynamic duo. I expect a shoot out on Saturday. Hoping that Mr. Smith plays the game of his life. That may not be enough at JMU, but it’s Nova’s best shot especially if Covington is a no go. xpeacex

Gangtackle11
October 8th, 2019, 08:41 AM
One other thing. Our OL has played exceptionally well. Lost 3 starters to graduation & 2 that are in the NFL, but they have not skipped a beat. Smith hasn’t been sacked in the CAA games. It will be a big story if Nova can keep that going. xpeacex

BDKJMU
October 8th, 2019, 01:54 PM
i'm afraid the injury bug may keep the Cats from victory lane this Saturday. They may be without arguably their best two players on O and D. On offense, Justin Covington second leading rusher in FCS, went down against W&M and their best defensive player and leading tackler Jaquan Amos ( 9 tackles and an interception in last years game) has been out the last two weeks. Add in starting linebacker Amin Black (out for year) and a couple others and lack of depth takes it's toll again.

Hard to get injury status from the Main Line but it appears Covington's injury was not severe and Amos was on the depth chart last week so maybe they will play. If they do and, they are healthy, it should be a great game in Harrisonburg. If not, and their injuries linger thru the year, I can see the Cats losing two or three games (take your pick JMU, Stony Brook, UNH, Delaware) in the second half of the year and limping into the playoffs.

If Covington and Amos come back healthy they will be dangerous come playoffs though.
JMU has been missing All World rSr CB Rashad Robinson (2017 AA, 2018 pre season CAA defensive POTY before missing all of last season, pre season All CAA/AA this season) for UTC and SBU, and might not have him for VU. Also have been missing the other starting corner, rSr Charles Tutt, missed the 1st 2 games and has been limited/not 100% the last 4. SBU was without their stud DL, All CAA Sam Kamara last week and apparently a couple others too, that their homer commentators kept mentioning (they never mentioned Robinson’s absence). It is what it is.

Sans Smith or Dinucci going down, I don’t want to hear injury excuses from either side. Next man up.

BDKJMU
October 8th, 2019, 01:58 PM
Yeah, you put it more succinctly. EVERY team has injuries by this point in the season.

Ivytalk
October 8th, 2019, 04:27 PM
JMU by 10xtwocentsx

Katfan
October 8th, 2019, 04:27 PM
Yeah, you put it more succinctly. EVERY team has injuries by this point in the season.
True but not all injuries are created equal!

Gangtackle11
October 8th, 2019, 06:22 PM
Opening line from 5Dimes:

James Madison -9 1/2 (O/U 55 1/2)

BDKJMU
October 8th, 2019, 09:56 PM
CAA Stats (JMU has played the tougher schedule to boot):
SCORING OFFENSE
1. James Madison 41.2 ppg
2. Villanova........ 39.5 ppg

TOTAL OFFENSE
1. James Madison 494.7 ypg
3. Villanova........ 442.8 ypg

RUSHING OFFENSE
1. James Madison 268.2 ypg
3. Villanova........ 235.7 ypg

PASS OFFENSE
6. James Madison 226.5 ypg
8. Villanova........ 207.2 ypg

SCORING DEFENSE
2. James Madison 16.8 ppg
3. Villanova........ 20.7 ppg

TOTAL DEFENSE
1. James Madison 285.7 YPG
3. Villanova..........359.0 ypg

RUSHING DEFENSE
1. James Madison 71.2 ypg
2. Villanova..........89.7 ypg

PASS DEFENSE
4. James Madison 214.5
12.Villanova........ 269.3
https://static.caasports.com/custompages/stats/FB/2019/confldrs.htm

Professor Chaos
October 9th, 2019, 08:55 AM
SCORING OFFENSE

TOTAL OFFENSE

RUSHING OFFENSE

PASS OFFENSE

SCORING DEFENSE

TOTAL DEFENSE

RUSHING DEFENSE

PASS DEFENSE
4. James Madison 214.5
Here's a breakdown of the matchup that I have with numbers and national ranks for each team in parenthesis.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48870442156_093386b391_c.jpg

Gangtackle11
October 9th, 2019, 09:12 AM
SCORING OFFENSE

TOTAL OFFENSE

RUSHING OFFENSE

PASS OFFENSE

SCORING DEFENSE

TOTAL DEFENSE

RUSHING DEFENSE

PASS DEFENSE
4. James Madison 214.5

Interesting stats. You pointed out correctly that JMU playing WVU, Chatty, St.Francis, & Morgan State is stronger than the 3 PL teams. I’d argue that Elon & Stony Brook are significantly better than Towson, Maine, & W&M.

Stats are how u interpret them. For example Nova is last in passing defense by yards allowed, but is actually #1 in yardage per pass attempted. I think that’s a more significant tell of our defense, but stats can be manipulated good or bad depending on what point you are trying make.

BTW Nova is 4th yards per pass in CAA games only. JMU is 8th. xpeacex

jmu8
October 9th, 2019, 10:30 AM
A lot of JMU fans like to make a big deal about the secondary and are forgetting about all the fumbles that put the defense in bad situations and contributed to wearing down our secondary. Not saying the secondary can't be better, but it's not as terrible as some make it out to be. I think Villanova could very well be the second best team in the CAA and a stronger team than Stony, that being said, I expect JMU to win this by 14+.

Derby City Duke
October 9th, 2019, 11:06 AM
A lot of JMU fans like to make a big deal about the secondary and are forgetting about all the fumbles that put the defense in bad situations and contributed to wearing down our secondary. Not saying the secondary can't be better, but it's not as terrible as some make it out to be. I think Villanova could very well be the second best team in the CAA and a stronger team than Stony, that being said, I expect JMU to win this by 14+.

The secondary gave up 318 yard on 15 completions -- that's 21.8 yards per completion. That's not a result of a worn out secondary, it's either a bad scheme or our guys just don't cover very well. I happen to think it's the latter -- lots of guys chasing receivers as opposed to being in position to defend a pass. We're lucky the receiver dropped the 4th down pass in OT because he beat his defender. How does that happen?

vutomcat
October 9th, 2019, 11:20 AM
SCORING OFFENSE

TOTAL OFFENSE

RUSHING OFFENSE

PASS OFFENSE

SCORING DEFENSE

TOTAL DEFENSE

RUSHING DEFENSE

PASS DEFENSE
4. James Madison 214.5

Stats show why JMU is favored and should win. Cats will most likely need to win the turnover margin to give them a good chance. They have been really good this year scoring on defense (I think they are #1 in the country) and they have also been picking off passes at a decent rate. Their red zone defense has also been very good. Different level Saturday but we will see if they can rise to the occasion. I like them plus 9 for sure.

Win percentage 100% too! Can't wait to get to Harrisonburg.

jmu8
October 9th, 2019, 11:55 AM
The secondary gave up 318 yard on 15 completions -- that's 21.8 yards per completion. That's not a result of a worn out secondary, it's either a bad scheme or our guys just don't cover very well. I happen to think it's the latter -- lots of guys chasing receivers as opposed to being in position to defend a pass. We're lucky the receiver dropped the 4th down pass in OT because he beat his defender. How does that happen?

Oh yeah, there are absolutely things that need to be worked on with the secondary. I think I read that there's a play where Amos is setting up for an interception around 7 yds short from the ball is going. All I'm saying is, if you factor in that they had a 50% completion percentage and ran for 2.8 ypc on 42 attempts, it's really not that bad. What frustrated me was to watch the defense force them 3 and out, then we fumble, and they take a shot on our D for a big gain. So much of this plays out like the Elon game if we don't fumble the ball.

JMUNJ08
October 9th, 2019, 12:47 PM
Oh yeah, there are absolutely things that need to be worked on with the secondary. I think I read that there's a play where Amos is setting up for an interception around 7 yds short from the ball is going. All I'm saying is, if you factor in that they had a 50% completion percentage and ran for 2.8 ypc on 42 attempts, it's really not that bad. What frustrated me was to watch the defense force them 3 and out, then we fumble, and they take a shot on our D for a big gain. So much of this plays out like the Elon game if we don't fumble the ball.

2 TOs inside the 10 yard line, one on the plus side of the field. Easily say 6-21 pts with those and we still win in regulation with the poor pass D. The key was our offense was nearly unstoppable otherwise. If they stopped moving the ball and had those TOs, then I'd think it would be very different.

Gangtackle11
October 9th, 2019, 01:21 PM
James Madison Game Notes: https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/jmusports.com/documents/2019/10/7/JMU_Game_Notes_vs_Villanova.pdf

HailSzczur
October 10th, 2019, 08:25 AM
I just got an email from the Football Club about a game watch at Taphouse 23 in Bridgeport, for anyone who doesn't feel like paying for FloSports. I know I don't want to pony up, but I really want to watch this game, and listening to it on the radio like Townson and William and Mary just isn't gonna cut it. (for the few people this applies to lol)

Dukie95
October 10th, 2019, 11:02 AM
As mentioned previously, Nova is #12 in rushing defense at 89.7 YPG.

Rushing Offense YPG of Nova's schedule to date

Team Rank YPG
Colgate 110 88.7
Lehigh 123 65.6
Bucknell 115 78.2
Maine 103 98.2
W&M 58 161.7
Towson 80 131.2

JMU ranks 6 in Rushing Offense at 268.2 YPG

Safe to say, Nova's rushing D will be challenged beyond anything it's seen so far.

Derby City Duke
October 10th, 2019, 11:06 AM
Until this year's Elon game, JMU has routinely struggled to run against the 3-3-5 stack defense. Will be interesting to see if Coach Cignetti's coaching staff can game plan so the Dukes have the same kind of success this weekend.

Twyxx
October 10th, 2019, 12:19 PM
From the inquirer article today:

"I don't have any update on Covington," Ferrante said. "I'm not overly optimistic, but we'll go through the proper protocol and let the doctors tell us what's going on there."

Sounds like he will not be available, or will be held out to be safe. Next man up. Barlee and Jackson will fill the gap.

Gangtackle11
October 10th, 2019, 12:50 PM
From the inquirer article today:

"I don't have any update on Covington," Ferrante said. "I'm not overly optimistic, but we'll go through the proper protocol and let the doctors tell us what's going on there."

Sounds like he will not be available, or will be held out to be safe. Next man up. Barlee and Jackson will fill the gap.

Very doubtful u would get a head coach tell the opponent who is playing or not if he doesn’t have to. xpeacex

TennBison
October 10th, 2019, 01:40 PM
This attitude has propelled Nova to its 3-0 start in the CAA (I admit the 3 wins over PL teams were trash). Team has unified behind the “no respect” thing. Might not be enough to beat JMU, but it’s been a good thing so far. I also think the nation is underestimating Dan Smith. Kids a gunslinger. We will ride him as far as he wants to take us. Thank you Campbell University. xpeacex
How do you throw out the "no respect " cry when in the sentence before you admit to 3 trash wins over opponents xchinscratchx. If you want respect you gotta earn it first.
Last year the JMU coach tried to pump up his team with the " no respect " cry with their placement in the playoffs came out. Only to get beat by Colgate.

Gangtackle11
October 10th, 2019, 04:16 PM
How do you throw out the "no respect " cry when in the sentence before you admit to 3 trash wins over opponents xchinscratchx. If you want respect you gotta earn it first.
Last year the JMU coach tried to pump up his team with the " no respect " cry with their placement in the playoffs came out. Only to get beat by Colgate.

The no respect thing was created by the players because they were picked 9th & placed zero players on the preseason All-CAA 1st team. It became 0 & 9. It wasn’t about the schedule or my comments. xpeacex

grayghost06
October 10th, 2019, 10:59 PM

Especially on 4th and 18! Lucky the receiver had butterfingers.

Gangtackle11
October 11th, 2019, 06:38 AM
Article on Nova turn around:

https://jamesmadison.rivals.com/news/how-villanova-bounced-back-to-start-6-0 (https://jamesmadison.rivals.com/news/how-villanova-bounced-back-to-start-6-0)

VUCats02
October 11th, 2019, 10:30 AM
I know injuries affect everyone but it's all exponential when it comes to Nova. Beating an FBS bowl-bound Temple team last year when fully healthy to having a losing record in FCS after dealing with all the injuries - Quite a wide spectrum. There's been a lot better fortune this year versus the past 2.

JMU is obviously a tough matchup for everyone, but I think especially a bad matchup for Nova. If Nova cannot get the ground game going, which I think it will be very difficult, the play action and entire way the offense runs will not be effective. Agree with previous posts that Nova needs a +2 turnover margin to keep it close.

The good news: This is the definition of a "house money game" for Nova - absolutely nothing to lose here except guys to injuries.

Gangtackle11
October 11th, 2019, 03:47 PM
I don’t expect to see Covington although there is no news on him. Hitching the wagon to Daniel Smith tomorrow. Nova defense will be tested for sure. Hoping the Dukies put a couple on the ground if not may be a long day defensively. xpeacex

VUCats02
October 12th, 2019, 09:48 AM
Saturday morning line is James Madison -12

Bisonator
October 12th, 2019, 02:29 PM
Anyone got a link to a free stream of this game?

TribeNomad1
October 12th, 2019, 02:31 PM
17 to 17 at this time. JMU punt, VU with ball at about the 50 . Midway 3rdQ

TribeNomad1
October 12th, 2019, 02:33 PM
Watching on a regional sports network, MASN2

TribeNomad1
October 12th, 2019, 02:41 PM
VU scores, up 24 to 17.

JMU solid against the run, but VU passing like crazy.

Derby City Duke
October 12th, 2019, 03:02 PM
Not sure why Nova being able to pass the ball on JMU is a surprise. Dukes have a JV secondary.

TribeNomad1
October 12th, 2019, 03:08 PM
Nova fumbles, JMU scores to even it up.

Derby City Duke
October 12th, 2019, 03:10 PM
Nova should not call another running play this game unless it’s in the “V” formation.

TribeNomad1
October 12th, 2019, 03:17 PM
JMU with pick six to take TD lead.

Lorne_Malvo
October 12th, 2019, 03:20 PM
How much time remaining in the game?

Derby City Duke
October 12th, 2019, 03:26 PM
How much time remaining in the game?

8:30, Q4. Nova just missed a 29-TD FG.

VUCats02
October 12th, 2019, 03:26 PM
Too many mistakes to overcome winning @ JMU but this game has told me everything I needed to know to give me confidence that we'll be able to compete in December!

Needed to win the turnover margin, and quite the opposite has happened. Able to keep it close despite all the self-inflicted mistakes.

Derby City Duke
October 12th, 2019, 03:27 PM
JMU with pick six to take TD lead.

Can only be chalked up to the blind squirrel premise.

TribeNomad1
October 12th, 2019, 03:29 PM
JMU long TD run to take 2 TD lead.

- - - Updated - - -

JMU long TD run to take 2 TD lead.

smilo
October 12th, 2019, 03:34 PM
Please erase the last 7 minutes of game time from my memory.

Bisonator
October 12th, 2019, 03:39 PM
WTF Nova the games 4 quarters!xrolleyesx

Derby City Duke
October 12th, 2019, 03:47 PM
Final 6 Nova possessions:

TO on downs
Fumble
Downs/missed FG
Pick-6
Interception
Interception

BDKJMU
October 12th, 2019, 03:54 PM
Villanova by 14.
xcrazyx
Were joking/sandbagging, drunk, or high, when you said the above..
So how much is W&M going to beat JMU by?

Derby City Duke
October 12th, 2019, 04:08 PM
xcrazyx

Hey, I’m glad to be wrong, but —

None of the above.

Merely a guess with a not so good secondary playing a pretty decent QB. The DBs finally made some plays though it was Daka’s play that turned the game around for JMU.

Will be interesting to see if today’s 4th quarter is a turning point for the secondary or a one-off. They still have to face probably the best passing QB in the conference in Flacco.

There was nothing about the secondary’s play so far this year that would’ve predicted the 4th quarter today.

Schism55
October 12th, 2019, 04:11 PM
Nova looked they could/would win this, then.....well the wheels came off, exploded, the shrapnel hit a near by manure silo, raining a giant ****storm upon the Wildcats xeyebrowx

CHIP72
October 12th, 2019, 04:33 PM
Not being able to watch this game* is my one regret about traveling to the Twin Cities to attend the Eagles/Vikings game. (Having said that, had I decided to not travel to the Eagles road game this week, there’s a good chance I would have attended the Memphis/Temple game, which itself was a barnburner.)

*I did try to watch the second half of the Villanova/James Madison game at a sports bar with DirecTV, which carries MASN, a few blocks from where I’m staying in St. Paul, but the ONE guy working there and serving the 25 or so people that were in the bar said he could only adjust one TV out of the 20 or so TVs they had and didn’t want to check to see if they could get the channel.

Professor Chaos
October 12th, 2019, 05:11 PM
Wasn't able to watch this game but looks like the 4 takeaways by the JMU defense were the difference. I'd say both teams performed as their current ranks dictated that they should. Both are tracking towards a pretty high seed if they keep it up.

VUCats02
October 12th, 2019, 05:37 PM
Nova out gained JMU in total yards. Turnovers and Special Teams caused implosion.

smilo
October 12th, 2019, 06:33 PM
As I said when this started, Villanova could likely lose a road game by two TDs and would not deserve to drop. Frankly, I expected it to be a lot worse than this without Justin Covington and without multiple starters on defense. With SDSU losing at the half, there is a strong case for moving Villanova to #4 with this performance. No more than Montana could conceivably be considered better at this point.

Dukie95
October 12th, 2019, 07:03 PM
Not being able to watch this game* is my one regret about traveling to the Twin Cities to attend the Eagles/Vikings game. (Having said that, had I decided to not travel to the Eagles road game this week, there’s a good chance I would have attended the Memphis/Temple game, which itself was a barnburner.)

*I did try to watch the second half of the Villanova/James Madison game at a sports bar with DirecTV, which carries MASN, a few blocks from where I’m staying in St. Paul, but the ONE guy working there and serving the 25 or so people that were in the bar said he could only adjust one TV out of the 20 or so TVs they had and didn’t want to check to see if they could get the channel.

He wouldn't have been able to get it anyway, it was MASN2 only in the DC market, so it was blacked out in Minnesota. Flo had exclusive rights to the game.

CHIP72
October 12th, 2019, 07:28 PM
He wouldn't have been able to get it anyway, it was MASN2 only in the DC market, so it was blacked out in Minnesota. Flo had exclusive rights to the game.

What kind of idiotic deal did the CAA sign with Flo Sports???

That deal becomes more and more stupid the more I find out about it.

Derby City Duke
October 12th, 2019, 11:48 PM
xcrazyx

Oh, and William & Mary won’t beat JMU.

Gangtackle11
October 13th, 2019, 05:34 AM
Disappointing loss after holding a 24-17 lead in the 3rd quarter. Kudos to JMU who took it from Nova in the 4th quarter outscoring the Cats 21-0.

No one in the summer would have predicted Nova to be 6-1 at this point. Slightly disappointed on how they fell apart, but 1 horrible quarter of football doesn’t lead to the overall demise of this team. Tough next 2 games after the bye with Stony Brook home & then at New Hampshire. Those 2 games will define who this Villanova team is.

Im not into moral victories, but Nova played the Dukes evenly for 3 quarters. It’s a good sign that Nova is a formidable playoff team. xpeacex

Ivytalk
October 13th, 2019, 07:28 AM
Disappointing loss after holding a 24-17 lead in the 3rd quarter. Kudos to JMU who took it from Nova in the 4th quarter outscoring the Cats 21-0.

No one in the summer would have predicted Nova to be 6-1 at this point. Slightly disappointed on how they fell apart, but 1 horrible quarter of football doesn’t lead to the overall demise of this team. Tough next 2 games after the bye with Stony Brook home & then at New Hampshire. Those 2 games will define who this Villanova team is.

Im not into moral victories, but Nova played the Dukes evenly for 3 quarters. It’s a good sign that Nova is a formidable playoff team. xpeacex
Are you auditioning for VU Sports Information Director?

On second thought, maybe you are the VU Sports Information Director.

Henny
October 13th, 2019, 07:59 AM
I didn't watch the fourth quarter because I was busy watching Delaware get curb stomped by Elon. Regardless, Nova is for real and stlll deserves to be in the conversation for a seed. They proved they are one of the best teams in the nation.

jmu007
October 13th, 2019, 08:22 AM
Yesterday was a fantastic game and one of the most fun I've been at in person in quite some time. Some thoughts from the game:

- Villanova is a top 5 team

- Both teams did a good job at attacking perceived weaknesses of the opponent (both are very well coached and it showed)

- Quite possibly the most poorly officiated game I've ever witness in person (the 3rd quarter especially was a work of art) I thought our "partnership" with the ACC was supposed to improve this. They couldn't even spot the ball without a 5 min conference.

- Danny Smith was very accurate, but seemed to get a bit rattled later in the game and began rushing throw and overthrowing guys. We commented at the game that we were surprised as he hadn't really been hit much

- Ben DiNucci is having a Payton award year in my opinion. He made a few escapes that were pretty impressive.

- I've been on the hype train for Palmer (RB#21) since week 2 and was very excited to see him get to come in late and lay down the thunder with the 2TE heavy set formation to ice the game

Overall: Great game and definitely expect to see Villanova again in the playoffs given how regionalization is bound to play out.

Gangtackle11
October 13th, 2019, 08:30 AM
Are you auditioning for VU Sports Information Director?

On second thought, maybe you are the VU Sports Information Director.

Tremendous post from a fan of a team in a league that doesn’t participate with the big boys after T-Day. Very few CAA fans, if any, cares what Ivy League fans have to say. Thanks for your worthless participation here. xpeacex

PS: It’s gets worse for u since u are from the Postage Stamp State of Delaware. xpeacex

Gangtackle11
October 13th, 2019, 08:36 AM
Yesterday was a fantastic game and one of the most fun I've been at in person in quite some time. Some thoughts from the game:

- Villanova is a top 5 team

- Both teams did a good job at attacking perceived weaknesses of the opponent (both are very well coached and it showed)

- Quite possibly the most poorly officiated game I've ever witness in person (the 3rd quarter especially was a work of art) I thought our "partnership" with the ACC was supposed to improve this. They couldn't even spot the ball without a 5 min conference.

- Danny Smith was very accurate, but seemed to get a bit rattled later in the game and began rushing throw and overthrowing guys. We commented at the game that we were surprised as he hadn't really been hit much

- Ben DiNucci is having a Payton award year in my opinion. He made a few escapes that were pretty impressive.

- I've been on the hype train for Palmer (RB#21) since week 2 and was very excited to see him get to come in late and lay down the thunder with the 2TE heavy set formation to ice the game

Overall: Great game and definitely expect to see Villanova again in the playoffs given how regionalization is bound to play out.

JMU was a litmus test for this young Nova team. Cats had their attention, but in the end JMU had an extra gear that Nova couldn’t handle. The fumble to start the 4Q turned the game totally to JMU & they pounced on the opportunity. Smith’s picks were out of desperation to get Nova back in the game. JMU DBs were Johnny on the spot & Daka was a beast. xpeacex

caribbeanhen
October 13th, 2019, 10:56 AM
Tremendous post from a fan of a team in a league that doesn’t participate with the big boys after T-Day. Very few CAA fans, if any, cares what Ivy League fans have to say. Thanks for your worthless participation here. xpeacex

PS: It’s gets worse for u since u are from the Postage Stamp State of Delaware. xpeacex

not sure why you are obsessed with the size, however small, of the state of Delaware GT.... 6 Feet above sea level will only get you about 3 miles to the horizon in any state... the size of the state is not something that is really going to annoy Delaware fans, now if you want to talk about Danny Rocco, that is another story

Gangtackle11
October 13th, 2019, 12:09 PM
not sure why you are obsessed with the size, however small, of the state of Delaware GT.... 6 Feet above sea level will only get you about 3 miles to the horizon in any state... the size of the state is not something that is really going to annoy Delaware fans, now if you want to talk about Danny Rocco, that is another story

That’s been pointed out before. I’m trying to avoid Delaware conversations, but some of you just have a problem with the reality of Delaware football. You know I influence voters here by accurately pointing out where Delaware is as a football program. xlolx

Pretty average CAA team these days. Don’t see any inkling to glory days there. Like most of us not named JMU. Some are better than Delaware (like Nova) & a couple are worse.

You think your gold chains or remarks about our lack of fans bother Nova football fans? Kind of the same don’t you think? Hippocritical of u. No? xpeacex

Henny
October 13th, 2019, 12:34 PM
Best of luck Nova and GT11. Its clear now where everyone stands. I couldn't agree more!!

Gangtackle11
October 13th, 2019, 01:44 PM
Best of luck Nova and GT11. Its clear now where everyone stands. I couldn't agree more!!

The CAA is week to week for all of us not named JMU. Plenty of time for teams to fall or rise. Don’t give up. I hope Henderson is Ok. We could have used Covington yesterday. Our young back fumbled turned the entire game to JMU & they certainly took over. Is what it is. xpeacex

RootinFerDukes
October 13th, 2019, 05:08 PM
WTF Nova the games 4 quarters!xrolleyesx

Be sure to let Illinois State and UNI know that too.

RootinFerDukes
October 13th, 2019, 09:14 PM
What a phenomal game by Villanova. Daniel Smith is the real deal. He can throw a dime at will and spent most of the day composed until late in the 4th.

JMU's young defensive backfield continues to have growing pains and our two most experienced backs keep coming in and out with nagging injuries, Rashad is not playing particularly good this season when he is in. Finally, it doesn't help when one of your most experienced safeties and #1 punt returner was ejected for a hit that involved 0% helmet contact.

CAA refs rear their head again for the second week in a row. Why am I surprised anymore? At least this week didn't include an approximately 21 or 28 point swing in favor of your opponent and forcing overtime as a result.

We'll probably see Villanova again in the playoffs. The committee won't be able to lay off a PA and VA team match up way too early in the bracket. Good luck Cats!

Gangtackle11
October 13th, 2019, 09:50 PM
Nova has some work to do. Week off then it’s Stony Brook & @ UNH. xpeacex

caribbeanhen
October 14th, 2019, 08:02 AM
That’s been pointed out before. I’m trying to avoid Delaware conversations, but some of you just have a problem with the reality of Delaware football. You know I influence voters here by accurately pointing out where Delaware is as a football program. xlolx

Pretty average CAA team these days. Don’t see any inkling to glory days there. Like most of us not named JMU. Some are better than Delaware (like Nova) & a couple are worse.

You think your gold chains or remarks about our lack of fans bother Nova football fans? Kind of the same don’t you think? Hippocritical of u. No? xpeacex

Hey, you were right about Daniel Smith......he looks like a really good QB..... Your post though, not so good

Hypocritical? I've actually had a lot of good things to say about Nova going back a decade to the days of Whitney and Matt Sczur, so yes hypocritical in the eyes of a Delaware fans... never knew any Urban Muchacho that got upset by a few gold chain references..... the more the better .... take it from a Puerto Rican

Enjoy the rest of the season and get healthy for the Playoffs!

Gangtackle11
October 14th, 2019, 08:29 AM
Hey, you were right about Daniel Smith......he looks like a really good QB..... Your post though, not so good

Hypocritical? I've actually had a lot of good things to say about Nova going back a decade to the days of Whitney and Matt Sczur, so yes hypocritical in the eyes of a Delaware fans... never knew any Urban Muchacho that got upset by a few gold chain references..... the more the better .... take it from a Puerto Rican

Enjoy the rest of the season and get healthy for the Playoffs!

I guess u miss my point. Gold chains is equal to postage stamp size state. Both are competitive barbs. I accept yours. Mine are considered venomous. That’s the point. I’ve learned that Delaware fans bruise like a peach if they have to face reality of Nova is better at football. That’s all. No big deal. We’ll move

Still a long way to go, but I don’t think my observations of your Blue Hens was off as much as you & your fans thought a few weeks ago. The we almost beat Pitt chest puffing is gone. I was pointing out what I saw. I’ve been critical of Nova the past few seasons & until Smith arrived not optimistic about this current team. I think I’m pretty objective about CAA football.

I’ve learned that when you present the other side of Delaware football here it’s met with bravado & little substantive evidence of wild success. That’s all. Hopeful that Henderson is healthy. A real talent.

Nova has a rough patch to get through after the bye week with Stony Brook & @UNH. These games will define the route Nova takes. xpeacex