PDA

View Full Version : FCS looking for more National Attention

MayorOfHenTown
October 1st, 2019, 08:55 PM
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20191001172620833347304

Looks like FCS schools are looking to get put into the National spotlight.

smilo
October 1st, 2019, 10:23 PM
Cheering for someone to come through, but it's hard to see any open week. The SEC dominance at the top is going to leave a lot of playoff-deciding matchups almost every week and the other major conferences will be begging for their fair share. Only way I see the FCS getting a game is if one SEC team (probably Auburn though perhaps Florida or LSU) really falls off. That could create an opening for Princeton - or maybe Montana - on November 16. But I think ESPN would be more drawn to Princeton. Shame it wouldn't be the November 9 game. I don't think JMU has a serious chance in the immediate week.

October 12: Villanova @ James Madison
FBS Games: Oklahoma-Texas, Florida @ LSU, Penn State @ Iowa, Michigan State @ Wisconsin, FSU @ Clemson (USC @ ND?)

Texas has already got GameDay, but this is the marquee Big 12 game at a "neutral" site. Florida will probably lose this week and probably won't get GameDay two weeks in a row (Plus - LSU has a good opportunity two weeks later). Will GameDay head back to Iowa so soon for the CyHawk road winner if they also win in Ann Arbor? Perhaps. Battle of the undefeated. Carson King being a big storyline.
For JMU to get it, you likely need Texas to lose @ WVU, Florida to lose to Auburn and Iowa to lose @Michigan. MSU should get killed by Ohio State.
Possible. But they could still just give it to Clemson as an ACC pity game for their toughest remaining game since Syracuse-Clemson barely lost out.

October 19: The Citadel @ Furman? Missouri State @ NDSU? Both terrible options.
FBS Games: Oregon @ Washington, Duke @ Virginia, Florida State @ Wake, Michigan @ Penn State, Temple @ SMU

No good FCS Games to compete with the Pac-12 North championship game (if both keep winning). If not, one of the nice ACC underdog stories or the re-hyping of undefeated SMU are both more intriguing but this is built to be the Pac-12 showcase week.

October 26: NDSU @ SDSU (Weber @ UC-Davis likely not big enough brands to care)
FBS Games: Auburn @ LSU, Wisconsin @ Ohio State

Potentially two undefeated battles - one a preview of the Big Ten title, the other hoping to bring forth a challenger to Bama. I think they may hold off on Ohio State to Nov 23 but heck, they could go there twice! FBS ain't losing it even if the biggest game of the year were in Fargo.

November 2: NDSU @ Youngstown State? Delaware @ Towson?? UNI @ Illinois State???
FBS Games: Florida-Georgia, SMU @ Memphis

If the Gators already have two losses, less of a need to go TWLOCP since they still need Auburn to beat Georgia later on to be a national threat. But what reason is there to pass up a marquee G5 game between ranked teams with 0-1 losses each in favor of this FCS slate? I just don't see Youngstown over Jacksonville if SMU and Memphis also keep losing. Still probably the best chance the FCS has.

November 9: Princeton-Dartmouth in the Bronx.
FBS Games: LSU @ Alabama, Iowa @ Wisconsin, Penn State @ (likely undefeated) Minnesota

Tuscaloosa is getting GameDay perhaps even if LSU loses their two big games, unlikely as that scenario is. Such a shame that a 150th anniversary game at a neutral site got scheduled up against that instead of a week earlier - especially if Dartmouth sweeps their schedule! I think that would even beat out a division-deciding Iowa-Wisconsin game between 0-1 loss teams. But not Alabama.

November 16: Yale @ Princeton OR Weber State @ Montana OR N Iowa @ SDSU (NDSU/JMU also have boring home games)
FBS Games: Georgia @ Auburn, Minnesota @ Iowa, Wake Forest @ Clemson

If Auburn beats either LSU or Florida, they will be a very strong candidate to host - but it would be the third consecutive SEC week. Iowa or Clemson hosting a surprise team is not nearly as cool as the surprise team being the host - though the ACC may need to get its hosting day if the division is at stake - even in a terrible game. One of the better opportunities for an FCS steal if Auburn has two losses and Wake has a loss, but it's hard to identify an obvious FCS contender. It will still be 150th anniversary week, and if Princeton beats Dartmouth, maybe they will get one at home (as they hosted the return trip in 1869). Also easy to see Montana.

November 23: Montana @ Montana State OR Delaware @ Villanova
FBS Games: Penn State @ Ohio State, Boise State @ Utah State, Oregon @ Arizona State

Most of the major FCS powers close the season on the road during SEC-bye week leaving a pair of intriguing but not overwhelming rivalries. Given how down the Michigan schools are, I can't easily see the Penn State-Ohio State game not mattering. This is meant to be a showcase week.

FUGameBreaker
October 1st, 2019, 10:27 PM
I appreciate the effort, but its not going to make much of a difference, in my 30 years of following FCS football the only people that are going to care about FCS are the fans of FCS schools

JacksFan40
October 1st, 2019, 10:37 PM
NDSU-SDSU is the best option simply for name recognition alone and it’ll hopefully be a Top 3 matchup.

JacksFan40
October 1st, 2019, 10:38 PM
I appreciate the effort, but its not going to make much of a difference, in my 30 years of following FCS football the only people that are going to care about FCS are the fans of FCS schools
This 100%
The FCS simply doesn’t appeal to most fans. Nobody jumps on the NDSU bandwagon and cheers for them like they would for Alabama or Clemson.

FUGameBreaker
October 2nd, 2019, 05:43 AM
This 100%
The FCS simply doesn’t appeal to most fans. Nobody jumps on the NDSU bandwagon and cheers for them like they would for Alabama or Clemson.

For sure

ElCid
October 2nd, 2019, 06:21 AM
NDSU-SDSU is the best option simply for name recognition alone and it’ll hopefully be a Top 3 matchup.

Not sure why The Citadel at Furman wouldn't be a good choice. Could be a great choice considering the good exposure The Citadel has had the last couple seasons. Greenville is in a good location and that game could be very exciting. But as mentioned, nobody outside of FCS really cares about the matchup/game itself. No need to think they do.

Yes, both schools have small student bodies, but the crowd would be huge and all of SC would mobilize. Both schools have national name recognition outside of the diehard FCS fan as well and that is what ESPN wants,...ratings.

FUGameBreaker
October 2nd, 2019, 06:24 AM
Not sure why The Citadel at Furman wouldn't be a good choice. Could be a great choice considering the good exposure The Citadel has had the last couple seasons. Greenville is in a good location and that game could be very exciting. But as mentioned, nobody outside of FCS really cares about the matchup/game itself. No need to think they do.

Yes, both schools have small student bodies, but the crowd would be huge and all of SC would mobilize. Both schools have national name recognition outside of the diehard FCS fan as well and that is what ESPN wants,...ratings.

Why did you have to go and lose to SAM!?!?! Could have been a Top 20 undefeated SoCon clash if we had both taken care of Biz dude

ElCid
October 2nd, 2019, 06:28 AM
Why did you have to go and lose to SAM!?!?! Could have been a Top 20 undefeated SoCon clash if we had both taken care of Biz dude

Yeah, Samford is getting better by the week and our QB injury issue crept up again. It turned into a slobber knocker. Still, not sure it makes a difference for the decision.

FUGameBreaker
October 2nd, 2019, 06:32 AM
Yeah, Samford is getting better by the week and our QB injury issue crept up again. It turned into a slobber knocker. Still, not sure it makes a difference for the decision.

Certainly would not have hurt, gameday nonsense aside, that's what I was hoping for just for the general sake of the rivalry, would have been fun for both to come rolling in big time, but I guess we don't always get what we want though aye

dgtw
October 2nd, 2019, 07:05 AM
I watch Gameday, but I really don’t pay attention to where they are. A bunch of people in the background looks the same no matter where they are.

I think it is nice they go to an FCS game, but it doesn’t make much impact on a national basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HailSzczur
October 2nd, 2019, 07:50 AM
November 23: Montana @ Montana State OR Delaware @ Villanova
FBS Games: Penn State @ Ohio State, Boise State @ Utah State, Oregon @ Arizona State

Most of the major FCS powers close the season on the road during SEC-bye week leaving a pair of intriguing but not overwhelming rivalries. Given how down the Michigan schools are, I can't easily see the Penn State-Ohio State game not mattering. This is meant to be a showcase week.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

(Football) Gameday at Villanova would be hysterically bad. F it, lets do it, I'm in.

FU_Paladin08
October 2nd, 2019, 09:00 AM
FCS hosting a game day every year would be nice, but I’d be happier if they dedicated a pick um segment and highlight top 25 matchups each week. They have the time to toss the FCS 10 mins during game day. If there was a down FBS week it would certainly make sense to host game day at an FCS site. Would love to see that in Greenville, but the attendance just doesn’t justify it. Would almost have to be NDSU, Montana, or JMU.

FUGameBreaker
October 2nd, 2019, 09:21 AM
FCS hosting a game day every year would be nice, but I’d be happier if they dedicated a pick um segment and highlight top 25 matchups each week. They have the time to toss the FCS 10 mins during game day. If there was a down FBS week it would certainly make sense to host game day at an FCS site. Would love to see that in Greenville, but the attendance just doesn’t justify it. Would almost have to be NDSU, Montana, or JMU.

Unfortunately the gameday broadcast crew does not know jack about FCS nor do they care

FUGameBreaker
October 2nd, 2019, 10:14 AM
https://twitter.com/CitadelFootball/status/1179410711119839232

FUGameBreaker
October 2nd, 2019, 10:16 AM
https://twitter.com/SamfordFootball/status/1179410839515881472

smilo
October 2nd, 2019, 11:20 AM

(Football) Gameday at Villanova would be hysterically bad. F it, lets do it, I'm in.

I'm pretty sure Villanova would not even allow it

Lehigh Football Nation
October 2nd, 2019, 11:25 AM

Randor Township and ESPN GameDay trucks.. Bring on the legal battles! xlolx

ASU33
October 2nd, 2019, 11:48 AM
There was a petition to bring Gameday to Birmingham for the Magic City Classic a few years back. Didn't work out too well unfortunately.

Lorne_Malvo
October 2nd, 2019, 11:56 AM
Would be hilarious is Gameday gives the middle finger to the FCS twitter effort and goes straight back to NDSU.

Baltimore Hen
October 2nd, 2019, 02:21 PM
It does not matter where gameday goes. IT DOES NOT MATTER WHERE GAMEDAY GOES! It has very little to do with the game at the site. It has to do with the crowd gathered behind the set for TV. That crowd would be there for Abilene Christian vs Oklahoma Panhandle State. The show itself is a coverage of ALL of college football and they do segments on many schools during the program not just the schools at the site. But a good conference CAA or MVFC game would be fine sites. Doesn't have to be 1 v 2 or any other High rank match up.

walliver
October 2nd, 2019, 02:36 PM
I was under the impression is that the national marketing campaign was to get ESPN to mention FCS football in some fashion on each episode, not necessarily host the event at an FCS school.

Lorne_Malvo
October 2nd, 2019, 02:39 PM
Anyone here can start their own FCS gameday show. You just have to sell it to ESPN. Come on you talented personalities!

HailSzczur
October 3rd, 2019, 09:26 AM
Randor Township and ESPN GameDay trucks.. Bring on the legal battles! xlolx

I mean we hosted CBB game day back in '10. But that was also an indoor event.

Sader87
October 3rd, 2019, 11:42 AM
An argument could be made that some FCS programs have much more national appeal,, particularly moreso than most G5 schools, than a lot of FBS programs.

CHIP72
October 3rd, 2019, 04:20 PM

If by some Act of God Villanova were chosen to host College Football Gameday, it is very possible ESPN would make like they did in 2015 when Temple was chosen to host Gameday and they'd set up their set at Independence Mall. But yes, ESPN vs Radnor Township would be a bigger fight than Delaware vs Villanova.

(As a side note I've said ESPN's decision with that Notre Dame/Temple game really slighted Temple; Gameday should have been on Temple's campus, and ESPN should have held Gameday for the for Army/Navy Game later that same season at Independence Mall. It actually makes more sense to hold Gameday at Independence Mall for Army/Navy than it does for a Temple, Villanova, or Penn football game.)

GAD
October 3rd, 2019, 07:47 PM
There was a petition to bring Gameday to Birmingham for the Magic City Classic a few years back. Didn't work out too well unfortunately.
Jackson State vs Southern in Jackson or Grambling vs Alcorn would be good choices

DFW HOYA
October 3rd, 2019, 08:41 PM
If by some Act of God Villanova were chosen to host College Football Gameday, it is very possible ESPN would make like they did in 2015 when Temple was chosen to host Gameday and they'd set up their set at Independence Mall. But yes, ESPN vs Radnor Township would be a bigger fight than Delaware vs Villanova.

College Gameday isn't coming to Villanova, or Georgetown for that matter. In case you haven't heard, ESPN tried to kill the Big East six years ago and it lives on thanks to Fox.

http://i2.wp.com/butlerhoops.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/FS1_BigEast.jpg

that guy
October 3rd, 2019, 08:58 PM
An argument could be made that some FCS programs have much more national appeal,, particularly moreso than most G5 schools, than a lot of FBS programs.

You must be referring to Furman and the"streak". I bet gameday is all over it!

Sader87
October 3rd, 2019, 11:26 PM
You must be referring to Furman and the"streak". I bet gameday is all over it!

Somewhat but the Ivy League and to some extent the Patriot League have a much bigger national reach than a lot of the FBS programs.

Bisonator
October 4th, 2019, 08:49 AM
Somewhat but the Ivy League and to some extent the Patriot League have a much bigger national reach than a lot of the FBS programs.
xlolxxlmaox

Wildcats
October 4th, 2019, 10:39 AM

Cant tell if serious or......

Lehigh Football Nation
October 4th, 2019, 11:00 AM
In Peoria, have more people heard of Georgetown or Middle Tennessee State?

Sader isn't saying that the PL is the equivalent of Notre Dame, but there are a lot of FBS programs that are basically the 10th most popular schools in their own state.

ST_Lawson
October 4th, 2019, 11:08 AM

Sader isn't saying that the PL is the equivalent of Notre Dame, but there are a lot of FBS programs that are basically the 10th most popular schools in their own state.

Georgetown....yes, but only because of basketball.

Bucknell, Colgate, Lafayette, Lehigh, Holy Cross...I never heard of any of them until I really started following FCS football later in my undergrad career.

Bisonator
October 4th, 2019, 11:09 AM

They sure as hell don't know about Georgetown because of their football team. You guys sure are narcissistic.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 4th, 2019, 11:21 AM
They sure as hell don't know about Georgetown because of their football team. You guys sure are narcissistic.

Not really narcissistic, just saying what Sader said wasn't wrong. There were no caveats as to why IL schools and to a lesser extent PL schools are more "well-known" than Middle Tennessee State, but they are.

- - - Updated - - -

"Wow, I can't wait for that Texas State/Georgia Southern game... by the way, who is Harvard?" xlolx

ST_Lawson
October 4th, 2019, 11:25 AM
Everyone knows the Ivy League because it's the Ivy League. It's what most people picture when they think of a stereotypical "old school" university.
Patriot League doesn't have that same level of awareness.

I knew about MTSU way before I ever heard of most of the Patriot League.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 4th, 2019, 11:27 AM
Everyone knows the Ivy League because it's the Ivy League. It's what most people picture when they think of a stereotypical "old school" university.
Patriot League doesn't have that same level of awareness.

Oh, I agree. "To a lesser extent"

Sader87
October 4th, 2019, 03:51 PM
Not saying they constitute a large #, due to the sizes of the schools, but the Patriot League (and obviously the Ivy League) have alumni bases much more widespread nationally than many FBS schools.

walliver
October 7th, 2019, 09:45 AM
Ivy League: Harvard, Yale and Princeton have the most recognition outside of academic circles, but not many fans care about many of the others. Even though these schools academically recruit nationally, there just aren't large numbers of alumni.
Patriot League: Georgetown is known for basketball (and they are a football-only member), no-one is known for football. Even if they recruit nationally, these are small schools with small alumni bases, and mostly concentrated in the northeast.
CAA: Mostly midatlantic, and most members overshadowed by local P5 schools
MVFC: The biggest game in town in much of the upper midwest, but interest wanes rapidly in more temperate climates
NEC: Third most popular FCS conference in the northeast
Big Sky: Large geographic area, just not many people there
Big South: Geographically compact conference ideal for its basketball members. I doubt there is a single football team that wouldn't leave for the CAA/SoCon/OVC/Sunbelt.
OVC: Like the Sun Belt, they are all playing in the shadows of the SEC. The Sun Belt gets little respect, the OVC even less.
Southland: Really now the Texas/Louisiana conference. In Texas, only the Big 12, SEC, AAC, C-USA, and Sun Belt come before them
MEAC and SWAC: niche market
Pioneer: covers the nation from coast-to-coast - probably less interest than many high school telecasts.
Southern: 80% of the CFP championships have been won by former SoCon schools. And 11 of the last 13 when including the BCS. What about lately? We're from the South and always look back at the glory days! Much of the membership is either private or military. Playing in the shadow of the ACC and SEC (few take the Sun Belt seriously here). We have games on broadcast TV because much of the conference is in the Ingles Supermarket distribution.

I wish FCS had more national prominence, but it is what it is.

On the other hand, if someone would put together a 30 or 60 minute weekly shoe on ESPN+, I would enjoy watching it.

SactoHornetFan
October 7th, 2019, 09:58 AM
Big Sky: Large geographic area, just not many people there

Except for three schools in the largest state in the union with 40 million people in it...you're right.