PDA

View Full Version : Question for my FCS posters.

Gangtackle11
October 1st, 2019, 08:46 AM
A certain Delaware fan (remain nameless to protect him) has been critical of Villanova’s OOC schedule.

He claims that with our OOC schedule of Colgate, Lehigh, Bucknell, & LIU that if Nova goes 5-3 in the CAA (9-3) overall that the committee will more than likely pass over the Wildcats.

Do you agree or is it just a jealous once upon a time rival (can’t be a rivalry if only 1 team wins)?

Here is Nova’s schedule:

@ Colgate W 34-14
Lehigh W 38-10
@Bucknell W 45-10
@Towson W 52-45 (OT)
Maine W 33-17
@W&M
@JMU
Stony Brook
@UNH
Richmond
LIU
Delaware

8-4 & 4-4 in CAA will be dicey. I admit that, but 9-3? Means Nova wins 3 more CAA games and would mean at least 1 more current top 25 win.

Nameless Delaware fan says 9-3 (5-3) isn’t good enough. Agree?

Bisonator
October 1st, 2019, 08:52 AM
9-3 and you're in, you're probably still in at 8-4 considering CAA and ECB. xcoffeex

bonarae
October 1st, 2019, 08:54 AM
Definitely in. But just not sure if it is still worthy of a seed, though. xcoffeex

POD Knows
October 1st, 2019, 08:57 AM
A certain Delaware fan (remain nameless to protect him) has been critical of Villanova’s OOC schedule.

He claims that with our OOC schedule of Colgate, Lehigh, Bucknell, & LIU that if Nova goes 5-3 in the CAA (9-3) overall that the committee will more than likely pass over the Wildcats.

Do you agree or is it just a jealous once upon a time rival (can’t be a rivalry if only 1 team wins)?

Here is Nova’s schedule:

@ Colgate W 34-14
Lehigh W 38-10
@Bucknell W 45-10
@Towson W 52-45 (OT)
Maine W 33-17
@W&M
@JMU
Stony Brook
@UNH
Richmond
LIU
Delaware

8-4 & 4-4 in CAA will be dicey. I admit that, but 9-3? Means Nova wins 3 more CAA games and would mean at least 1 more current top 25 win.

You would be in but that OOC is dog**** topped off with dog**** and a side of dog**** and a cup of dog****

ccd494
October 1st, 2019, 08:57 AM
You'll be fine, but the Patriot League being an abject disaster is an issue for the CAA moving forward. If those wins are looked at as the equivalent of D-2 wins in the future, OOC scheduling could become tougher.

Redbird 4th & short
October 1st, 2019, 09:06 AM
You took care of business with good margins against bad teams OOC . so that helps somewhat. 2 quality wins in conference certainly helps more. To me, the easy OOC is an issue that can be overcome by quality wins on conference .. and your off to good start in conference. You didn't know Colgate would be this bad when you scheduled them. And Villanova normally has decent OOC SOS ... but it really fell of this year.

I have no issue with Villanova being top 10 with that resume, though OOC does not help so much.

vutomcat
October 1st, 2019, 09:12 AM
You'll be fine, but the Patriot League being an abject disaster is an issue for the CAA moving forward. If those wins are looked at as the equivalent of D-2 wins in the future, OOC scheduling could become tougher.

Won't be an issue going forward. Wake Forest next year, Penn State after that.

Delaware posters on this board are so downtrodden they make wild proclamations like this all the time. No one unbiased would agree that Nova at 9-3 isn't going to get in.

I can't wait until they get a decent team again. The rivalry, Battle of the Blue, used to be a good one. A better Hen team will be good for the FCS. They tend to take shots at all of FCS because their team isn't any good.

PaladinFan
October 1st, 2019, 09:21 AM
I've made this argument before -

I don't think the committee cares about strength of schedule as much as posters on here like to think. Maybe it is baked into the analysis somewhere, but it doesn't seem to come into play that often. In fact, it would almost seem that teams are rewarded for playing a softer schedule.

ysubigred
October 1st, 2019, 09:37 AM

Here is Nova’s schedule:

@ Colgate W 34-14
Lehigh W 38-10
@Bucknell W 45-10
@Towson W 52-45 (OT)
Maine W 33-17
@W&M
@JMU
Stony Brook
@UNH
Richmond
LIU
Delaware

You're in the same boat as YSU. Take care of business in conference and you'll have no worries.

FUGameBreaker
October 1st, 2019, 09:38 AM

I don't think the committee cares about strength of schedule as much as posters on here like to think. Maybe it is baked into the analysis somewhere, but it doesn't seem to come into play that often. In fact, it would almost seem that teams are rewarded for playing a softer schedule.

Yep, that was proven last year when the committee did a sham job by putting in all those weak Southland teams, who then crapped the bed in the postseason to no one's surprise

AmsterBison
October 1st, 2019, 09:39 AM
Villanova's OOC looks fine to me.

What I don't get is this. "Oh, our strength of schedule is incredible, but our blowout loss to an P5 / close loss to a G5 shouldn't count towards our W/L record." Shouldn't be able to have it both ways.

ysubigred
October 1st, 2019, 09:40 AM

Somewhat agree with this. The Auto bid system rewards free entry to the dance for soft schedules in soft conferences xpeacex

caribbeanhen
October 1st, 2019, 10:08 AM

Here is Nova’s schedule:

@ Colgate W 34-14
Lehigh W 38-10
@Bucknell W 45-10
@Towson W 52-45 (OT)
Maine W 33-17
@W&M
@JMU
Stony Brook
@UNH
Richmond
LIU
Delaware

are you talking about this.... if so, that is not what was said at all

but your OOC opponetts are 1-8 on the year, and that one win is against the Mighty Merrimack...... and the Brooklyn Sharks coming up

weak is not a strong enough word

Re: Villanova @ William & Mary

https://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Gangtackle11 https://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?p=2807571#post2807571)
Ill take my chances at 9-3 & 5-3 in the CAA. Wins over 2 Nationally ranked teams already. (3 if you count Colgate at the time). 5-3 means 3 more wins and likely another Top 25 FCS team beaten.

So who knows what? You willing to put your expertise with the FCS selection committee that a 9-3 Villanova with a 5-3 CAA conference will not be a playoff team?

Go ahead Henny. I’ll let you retract yet another crazed statement by a fan who only see Blue Hens. Just stop. You are wrong here. Once again. xpeacex

Oh you'll make the playoffs at 9-3, just get ready to go on the road in the first round! Your OOC schedule and incredibly weak home attendance sealed that.!

SonuvaHenx2
October 1st, 2019, 10:15 AM
You'll be fine. Shouldn't lose 3 anyway

Henny
October 1st, 2019, 10:21 AM
Gangtackle is a master at twisting words. It’s the epitome of Dysfunction. Thanks for setting the record straight Carib

Let’s put this to bed.

Now perhaps Gangtackle can either look for a job or get a hobby.... lol!!! Just kidding..

caribbeanhen
October 1st, 2019, 10:27 AM
Villanova's OOC looks fine to me.

What I don't get is this. "Oh, our strength of schedule is incredible, but our blowout loss to an P5 / close loss to a G5 shouldn't count towards our W/L record." Shouldn't be able to have it both ways.

well I guess cupcakes are your thing..... you will need some Colgate to brush the sugar off your teeth after that sked

Mocs123
October 1st, 2019, 10:37 AM
A team with 9 D1 wins gets in, even if they didn't play tough teams. My guess is a 8 D1 win team gets in, even in a 12 game year.

Gangtackle11
October 1st, 2019, 10:51 AM
Gangtackle is a master at twisting words. It’s the epitome of Dysfunction. Thanks for setting the record straight Carib

Let’s put this to bed.

Now perhaps Gangtackle can either look for a job or get a hobby.... lol!!! Just kidding..

Come on Uncle K. You know where this came from. Admin deleted its origin in the W&M thread. xpeacex

Derby City Duke
October 1st, 2019, 11:11 AM
The original comment I read was referencing the possibility of a seed -- not making the field -- for Villanova. 9-3 might position the Wildcats for a seed depending on who the '3' are. They've had a strong start to their season; how they finish over the last 7 will tell the tale. Your OOC is, as has been pointed out, not one worthy of chest-thumping.

Gangtackle11
October 1st, 2019, 11:24 AM

but your OOC opponetts are 1-8 on the year, and that one win is against the Mighty Merrimack...... and the Brooklyn Sharks coming up

https://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Gangtackle11 https://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?p=2807571#post2807571)
Ill take my chances at 9-3 & 5-3 in the CAA. Wins over 2 Nationally ranked teams already. (3 if you count Colgate at the time). 5-3 means 3 more wins and likely another Top 25 FCS team beaten.

So who knows what? You willing to put your expertise with the FCS selection committee that a 9-3 Villanova with a 5-3 CAA conference will not be a playoff team?

Go ahead Henny. I’ll let you retract yet another crazed statement by a fan who only see Blue Hens. Just stop. You are wrong here. Once again. xpeacex

Oh you'll make the playoffs at 9-3, just get ready to go on the road in the first round! Your OOC schedule and incredibly weak home attendance sealed that.!

Correct me if it’s changed, but the 1st round is a closed bid process. Did that change? If not more FAKE NEWS from the state university with the Napoleon Complex crowd.xpeacex

Gangtackle11
October 1st, 2019, 11:28 AM

Format change? Bid process gone? More FAKE NEWS??

Enjoy your new stadium. Lots of empty seats when your team is home by mid - November. xrotatehxxpeacex

MR. CHICKEN
October 1st, 2019, 12:32 PM
.......CHAIRS ARE EMPTY NOW.....AN' WE GOT BEER...........BRAWK!

......HAPPNIN' EVERAH WARE.......IT'S UH....NEW DAY....FO' REASONS.......BEAT....ON DIS BOARD..........LIKE UH VMI D-BACK............AWK!

......YER IN @ 9-3...........SO KEEP YER ROUNDBALL....IN DUH CLOSET......COUPLE EXTRA WEEKS.....DOODLE-DOO!

smilo
October 1st, 2019, 12:53 PM
LOL, non-conference strength of schedule! This has NEVER been a consideration. Heck, remember when Monmouth was an at-large selection? Sometimes they don't even care that much about conference strength. I am sure the playoff committee is plenty happy enough to reward the well-endowed schools that don't need to play a money game to survive.

I'm also sure attendance for Richmond/LIU will be bad, but we got/will get home fans in the seats for the three most important games plus 8k for the home opener against a below average opponent (more than we got for any game last year). Towson fans were grumbling all game about how well Villanova traveled and audibly cheered (I sat opposite side in the home stands). There is more enthusiasm for this Villanova team than at any point since the title defense.

I am very proud of the newly found enthusiasm for our football program that not even an intercity FBS upset could inspire last year. And I'll be danged if I will let a school of three times the size whose core sport is their football program brag about 2-3k more in attendance this year.

Gangtackle11
October 1st, 2019, 01:00 PM
LOL, non-conference strength of schedule! This has NEVER been a consideration. Heck, remember when Monmouth was an at-large selection? Sometimes they don't even care that much about conference strength. I am sure the playoff committee is plenty happy enough to reward the well-endowed schools that don't need to play a money game to survive.

I'm also sure attendance for Richmond/LIU will be bad, but we got/will get home fans in the seats for the three most important games plus 8k for the home opener against a below average opponent (more than we got for any game last year). Towson fans were grumbling all game about how well Villanova traveled and audibly cheered (I sat opposite side in the home stands). There is more enthusiasm for this Villanova team than at any point since the title defense.

I am very proud of the newly found enthusiasm for our football program that not even an intercity FBS upset could inspire last year. And I'll be danged if I will let a school of three times the size whose core sport is their football program brag about 2-3k more in attendance this year.

#88STRONG

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 1st, 2019, 01:57 PM
Villanova is 35-4 (including wins over several ranked PL teams) against the PL since 1986. They basically know those game are scheduled wins at this point. While Villanova is darn good imo they definitely took the path of least resistance in the OOC.

Redbird 4th & short
October 1st, 2019, 03:04 PM
Villanova is 35-4 (including wins over several ranked PL teams) against the PL since 1986. They basically know those game are scheduled wins at this point. While Villanova is darn good imo they definitely took the path of least resistance in the OOC.
I thought Villanov used to play a decent OOC schedule. I mean 95% of team play a patsy, but they were usually pretty good about playing an FBS and tough FCS.

Temple used to be pretty good, pus teasm like Pitt, WV, etc. Then they played Penn and Lehigh a lot .. who both used to be pretty good but slipped. They played Fordham at least 3 times when they were pretty good.

So i think the problem is more like the OOC teams they play are good, and then they become bad ?? Lehigh, Penn, Fordham .... now Colgate ??

Gangtackle11
October 1st, 2019, 10:03 PM
I thought Villanov used to play a decent OOC schedule. I mean 95% of team play a patsy, but they were usually pretty good about playing an FBS and tough FCS.

Temple used to be pretty good, pus teasm like Pitt, WV, etc. Then they played Penn and Lehigh a lot .. who both used to be pretty good but slipped. They played Fordham at least 3 times when they were pretty good.

So i think the problem is more like the OOC teams they play are good, and then they become bad ?? Lehigh, Penn, Fordham .... now Colgate ??

Strange scheduling year for Nova. They were in discussions with SEC team early on, but dates fell through. They then were toying with a Canadian school played in Buffalo. That fell through luckily. Dumb idea.

After messing around the only game was Week Zero date with Colgate. Unfortunately Colgate was a mere shell of last season’s team and it ran into a Nova buzzsaw that August Saturday.

Normally, Nova has an FBS team on the schedule. Next year at Wake Forest, 2021 at Penn State. Not apologizing for the Pennsylvania PL teams we play. Makes economic sense most seasons whether they are good or not & we align academically & historically. . LIU is a 12th game addition Heck, SDSU played them & they are probably better than the PL teams we played. Delaware has them on the sked next season. xpeacex

FUGameBreaker
October 2nd, 2019, 06:07 AM

Given the size of some of these public schools, I am not so sure there is more than a handful of teams if even that at the FCS level that can actually boost about their attendance and it have any validity to it

HailSzczur
October 2nd, 2019, 07:53 AM
.......CHAIRS ARE EMPTY NOW.....AN' WE GOT BEER...........BRAWK!

You have my attention, I haven't made the trek down since 2014.....

HailSzczur
October 2nd, 2019, 08:07 AM
I'd have to imagine a 9-3 Villanova will get at least consideration for a seed. Last year's #8 seed was Colgate at 9-1 (6-0). They didn't beat a single team with a .500 record. I know that the discussion of the PL is driving this debate, but you can't look at this precedent and say there is no chance we get a seed.

W - Holy Cross (5-6)
W - @ #20 UNH (4-7)
W - Lafayette (3-8)
W - @ William and Mary (4-6)
W - @ Bucknell (1-10)
W - Cornell (3-7)
W - Georgetown (5-6)
W - @ Fordham (2-9)
W - @ Lehigh (3-8)
L - @ Army (11-2)