PDA

View Full Version : 2019-10/05 AGS GOTW Week 6

Preferred Walk-On
September 29th, 2019, 08:40 PM
This week represents the first week of the season where all non-independent teams are now in conference play. The slate of "game of the week" candidates includes a nice mix of Top 25 matchups, as well as some with early implications for conference championship contention.

#1 North Dakota State @ #13 Illinois State - The Bison start their run of games against the top half of the MVFC and four AGS Top 25 opponents in five weeks. The Redbirds look to see where they stand early in the Valley season, as they will not play the meat of their season until the final four weeks (where they play the same list of opponents that NDSU plays in Oct).

#2 James Madison @ #26 Stony Brook - Two 4-1 CAA teams, but with one on the outside of the AGS Top 25 looking in. A win for the Dukes helps solidify their position at the top of the CAA, while a win for the Seawolves would be a statement win early in their conference season.

#19 Youngstown State @ #5 Northern Iowa - After a tough loss to Weber State last week, the Panthers look to rebound at home against the Penguins, which have been a bit of a surprise upstart (and are currently undefeated) this season.

#10 Furman @ Samford - The Paladins survived a game (17-10) against East Tennessee State that many expected them to dominate last week (and even took criticism for as a GOTW candidate). The Bulldogs are coming off a 4 OT win (61-55) against The Citadel last week, and look to show they belong in the SoCon title conversation despite starting 0-2.

#12 Central Arkansas @ #15 Nicholls State - The Bears have an FBS win (and their only loss is to FBS Hawaii); however, it is unclear just how good their one-score wins against FCS competition actually are. Nicholls State stuck with FBS Texas State for a half last week, but like Central Arkansas, the quality of their wins thus far is unclear.

#39 Idaho State @ #16 Montana - The Grizzlies are coming off a big win at UC Davis, and look to avoid a letdown. The Bengals seem to be in a similar predicament to last year - a good, but unremarkable resume resulting in some buzz, but not a lot of national respect. A win (or at least a very good performance) for the Bengals at Washington-Grizzly Stadium would change that.

#25 Eastern Washington @ #33 Sac State - The Hornets have looked pretty impressive against two respectable FBS teams and dominated Northern Colorado the way top team should. How will they look against the enigma that is the Eagles?

Tennessee Tech @ #27 Southeast Missouri State - This is a battle between two of the top teams (currently) in the OVC. Will be curious to see if the 4-1 Golden Eagles get any AGS Top 25 consideration, given that they beat a SoCon team (Samford) currently on an upward trajectory and that just beat The Citadel. The Redhawks look to take advantage of the downward trajectory of Jacksonville State and keep pace with Austin Peay (BYE) and Eastern Kentucky.

Central Connecticut State @ Sacred Heart - This game features the Pioneers, who have looked pretty solid thus far and a Blue Devils team coming off a near upset of FBS Eastern Michigan. It is quite possible that one of these two will be the NEC representative in the FCS playoffs this year.

TheKingpin28
September 29th, 2019, 08:49 PM
Each one of these games means something to their respective teams, but a battle for Southland supremacy is on the line, and with NSU finally playing their 1st home game of the season, that has to be a boost for the team and the fans to finally get home and play a contender right out the door.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 29th, 2019, 09:09 PM
Really good slate of games! I went with the Southland Battle. I've been pretty high on Nicholls State the last two years. My confidence is starting to waiver in them knowing full well they've been road warriors to start the season.

I think the JMU-SBU game has some upset potential. This seems like a weird spot for the Dukes.

FUGameBreaker
September 29th, 2019, 10:10 PM
xthumbsupx

FUGameBreaker
September 29th, 2019, 10:12 PM
Took the SoCon first place battle of course

The Valley game at Ill. St. is good as well

The Southland game does not do much for me as Nicholls really laid massive eggs in getting beat down bad in their 2 FBS games

SUPharmacist
September 29th, 2019, 10:21 PM
Great slate of games this week. I went with the homer pick of NDSU-ISUr. Justifying by looking at the combined ranking of the 2 teams being the lowest of the list (lazy I know). I think the JMU-Stony Brook game and the Furman-Samford games should be great conference matchups with potential for upsets (same as my homer pick). The Socon game is great and I want to see if Montana can keep rolling.

No bad choices, thanks for continuing to put this together each week.

Bisonator
September 30th, 2019, 08:02 AM
Was a toss up for me between NDSU/ISU and YSU/UNI. Went with the homer pick but I think the YSU/UNI game will probably be closer.

FUGameBreaker
September 30th, 2019, 09:47 AM
Samford's interesting take on Furman, lol :D

"Self-proclaimed God’s gift to (http://www.samfordbulldogs.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8531#p61989)"http://www.samfordbulldogs.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8531

SU DOG
September 30th, 2019, 10:05 AM
Samford's interesting take on Furman, lol :D

"Self-proclaimed God’s gift to (http://www.samfordbulldogs.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8531#p61989)"

http://www.samfordbulldogs.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8531

Second time on AGS that you have quoted this. Why not take your problem with it to the Samford Board? We will welcome you there. I could, but won't link any posts from the FU Board. IMO, AGS is NO place for linking "local" board posts. That particular poster uses the board for fun and entertainment, and is known for such offbeat posts. Your words "Samford's interesting take on Furman" also implies that you take this one post for an all encompassing viewpoint, when you surely know better.

FUGameBreaker
September 30th, 2019, 10:06 AM
Second time on AGS that you have quoted this. Why not take your problem with it to the Samford Board? We will welcome you there. I could, but won't link any posts from the FU Board. IMO, AGS is NO place for linking "local" board posts. That particular poster uses the board for fun and entertainment, and is known for such offbeat posts. Your words "Samford's interesting take on Furman" also implies that you take this one post for an all encompassing viewpoint, when you surely know better.

It is entertaining and funny, that's why I posted it here

SU DOG
September 30th, 2019, 10:10 AM
It is entertaining and funny, that's why I posted it here

Yeah right!

FUGameBreaker
September 30th, 2019, 10:11 AM
Yeah right!

Exactly xpeacex

BEAR
September 30th, 2019, 10:12 AM
This is my choice:

#25 Eastern Washington @ #33 Sac State - The Hornets have looked pretty impressive against two respectable FBS teams and dominated Northern Colorado the way top team should. How will they look against the enigma that is the Eagles?

The simple fact that EWU is an enigma and traditionally a top team. Good play by SAC also. Plus I really don't think the UCA v. Nicholls game will be all that close.

FUGameBreaker
September 30th, 2019, 12:24 PM
https://twitter.com/SamfordFootball/status/1178716269228515328

RabidRabbit
September 30th, 2019, 04:35 PM
This is a terrific selection of good games. Went with UCA@Nichols . MVFC match-ups will dominate choices the rest of the season, especially if can keep 4 MVFC teams in the top 10.

FUGameBreaker
September 30th, 2019, 04:38 PM
https://twitter.com/CoachLamendola/status/1178057925463543808
https://twitter.com/SamfordFootball/status/1178776594279743489

The Yo Show
September 30th, 2019, 05:00 PM
So I voted other, but only because I'm a dumba** and didn't see that UCA @ Nichols was already on the list. I don't see any way to change my response though so... please count the 1 current other vote towards UCA @ Nichols.

Preferred Walk-On
September 30th, 2019, 05:33 PM
So I voted other, but only because I'm a dumba** and didn't see that UCA @ Nichols was already on the list. I don't see any way to change my response though so... please count the 1 current other vote towards UCA @ Nichols.

I don't know how to fix this either, but it is noted.

Paladin1aa
September 30th, 2019, 05:45 PM
Excellent games. I’m leaning on the Nichols game.

kdinva
September 30th, 2019, 05:45 PM
Homer vote::: VMI @ The Citadel.

Serpentor
September 30th, 2019, 05:50 PM
BOTPW is always the GOTW in my heart.

jmu007
September 30th, 2019, 06:06 PM
I voted UCS vs Nichols. Game provides a great data point for voting moving forward.

FU_Paladin08
September 30th, 2019, 07:24 PM
I voted FU/Sammy with my heart, but there’s still a lot of room in the SoCon where the champ could have 1 loss. Great games in the MVFC but I was shocked to look and see there have been no conf games played so really everyone is still in it. I’ll be watching YSU as I’m curious how good that 4-0 record really is now that the real games start.

TheValleyRaider
September 30th, 2019, 07:25 PM
Voting for the two (probably) best teams in the Southland, though now is the time for Nicholls to measure up to some of their preseason hype.

NDSU-ISUr looks intriguing as well to see how the Redbirds measure up.

ElCid
September 30th, 2019, 07:51 PM
Homer vote::: VMI @ The Citadel.

Could be a good one. Usually is. How could it not with the Silver Shako on the line.

cx500d
September 30th, 2019, 10:03 PM
This is my choice:

The simple fact that EWU is an enigma and traditionally a top team. Good play by SAC also. Plus I really don't think the UCA v. Nicholls game will be all that close.

I like this too. It will be interesting to see where sac st is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FUGameBreaker
October 1st, 2019, 09:44 AM
NDSU and Furman hit the road this weekend to put their 1st and 3rd active FCS winning steaks on the line, should be fun xbeerchugx

FUGameBreaker
October 2nd, 2019, 05:35 AM
Looks like UCA @ Nicholls is going to take this one

Derby City Duke
October 2nd, 2019, 08:34 AM
YSU @ UNI

Are the Penguins really that much improved or have they taken advantage of a soft OOC?

Will UNI be ready to play at the opening whistle or will they play like they did last week?

Preferred Walk-On
October 2nd, 2019, 04:57 PM
Just a quick bump for anyone who wants to vote but has not done so yet.

Preferred Walk-On
October 4th, 2019, 04:36 PM
Last chance. Currently Central Arkansas @ Nicholls State by just TWO votes (one other was for this game). Have a fun weekend everyone!