PDA

View Full Version : NDSU @ Ill State (10-5)

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 29th, 2019, 08:27 AM
Big conference opener for both teams.

Will the Redbirds try to throw the ball over the field like Davis did to move the ball? Can they even do that? Dink and dunk down the field or over the top? Or will the running game beat the Bison?

Will the Redbirds try to take away the inside running game like other teams have tried to do?

If NDSU turns the ball over they lose this game IMO. Dropped passes against Davis was a killer also.

NDSU:

Utilize the TEs this game. Davis game they were pretty silent. Play action pass game could be effective.

Run the ball....big shock here but hit the perimeter, off tackle and inside and see which area can be exploited.

Get pressure on the QB and increase the mistakes from Davis. Can the front 4 get pressure or will they have to bring extra attackers?

Get Trey out in the open to pass or run if nothing is open.

WRs, catch the ball.

Ill State:

Can Davis move the chains with his arm?

Robinson is a beast, make NDSU stop him.

Will the Redbirds play man on the outside to get more defenders close to the line? Are their CBs good enough to do this?

Make Lance beat you with the passing game. Make NDSU prove they can move the chains with the passing game.

This should be a very good game. The game in '17 was fun to be there in the elements. This one might have better weather...:D

NDSU gets everyone's best shot so the Bison better be ready for a battle.

I'm making the trek down for this one again. Looking forward to it....xnodx

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 30th, 2019, 05:51 AM
Bump

Roll call

Who will be there?

Bisonator
September 30th, 2019, 07:59 AM
Where's the poll BFNWMN? Come on man!:)

Hard to get read on ISUr so far this season. Will be curious to see how Trey responds after a bit tougher outing against UCD then most expected. Redbirds are always tougher at home but I think the Bison win another close one.

POD Knows
September 30th, 2019, 08:47 AM
Big conference opener for both teams.

Will the Redbirds try to throw the ball over the field like Davis did to move the ball? Can they even do that? Dink and dunk down the field or over the top? Or will the running game beat the Bison?

Will the Redbirds try to take away the inside running game like other teams have tried to do?

If NDSU turns the ball over they lose this game IMO. Dropped passes against Davis was a killer also.

NDSU:

Utilize the TEs this game. Davis game they were pretty silent. Play action pass game could be effective.

Run the ball....big shock here but hit the perimeter, off tackle and inside and see which area can be exploited.

Get pressure on the QB and increase the mistakes from Davis. Can the front 4 get pressure or will they have to bring extra attackers?

Get Trey out in the open to pass or run if nothing is open.

WRs, catch the ball.

Ill State:

Can Davis move the chains with his arm?

Robinson is a beast, make NDSU stop him.

Will the Redbirds play man on the outside to get more defenders close to the line? Are their CBs good enough to do this?

Make Lance beat you with the passing game. Make NDSU prove they can move the chains with the passing game.

This should be a very good game. The game in '17 was fun to be there in the elements. This one might have better weather...:D

NDSU gets everyone's best shot so the Bison better be ready for a battle.

I'm making the trek down for this one again. Looking forward to it....xnodxRobinson rolled up 120+ yards against us in our own building last year and that D was a lot better than our current D. He might get 250 at home this time around. NDSU will come out flat after the UC Davis hangover and the bye week and lay an egg at ISUr. It is a lock #BOOKIT

Professor Chaos
September 30th, 2019, 07:31 PM
4 games into the season so I suppose it's time to break out the stats matchup for the first time this year. National ranks are in parenthesis.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48824053397_94b6c566b5_c.jpg

I'd say the key matchups will be Illinois St's pass defense against Trey Lance throwing the ball with efficiency, both have been quite good so far this year. Both teams are good at running the ball and stopping the run (NDSU is a little better at running it and ISUr is a little better at stopping it) so whoever does better on the ground probably wins. A couple things I found surprising were ISUr's low 3rd down conversation percentage and -4 turnover margin on the season. If you can't convert on 3rd down and you turn the ball over more than you take it away you'll find beating NDSU nearly impossible.

Redbird 4th & short
September 30th, 2019, 08:24 PM
4 games into the season so I suppose it's time to break out the stats matchup for the first time this year. National ranks are in parenthesis.

I'd say the key matchups will be Illinois St's pass defense against Trey Lance throwing the ball with efficiency, both have been quite good so far this year. Both teams are good at running the ball and stopping the run (NDSU is a little better at running it and ISUr is a little better at stopping it) so whoever does better on the ground probably wins. A couple things I found surprising were ISUr's low 3rd down conversation percentage and -4 turnover margin on the season. If you can't convert on 3rd down and you turn the ball over more than you take it away you'll find beating NDSU nearly impossible.
To understand our offensive stats, you have to see how badly our QB played the first 3 games vs how well he played the NAU game ... night and day difference. He had case of happy feet in pocket and was trying too hard to avoid sacks ... his throws were all over the place. We would have beaten NIU had he shown up and just played ok. In any case, he is our X factor ... he can sling it if he just hangs tough in pocket and only leaves when absolutely needed. So he threw for 410 yards against NAU ... as much as the 3 prior games combined. The other variable was were waiting on top WR Edgar to get back to full speed ... well he was back to full speed for NAU getting 12 catches for 225 yards, but then got injured latein NAU game along with our 2nd best receiver, Grimes. Our receiver group was young to begin with .. now we dig deeper into bench .. next man up.

You will be impressed with our defense .. we're big and stout up front, and usually good withour gap discipine ... but unlike last year, were putting more pressure on QB this year - we lead FCS in sacks. I know you guys like your OL .. so we'll see how our pass rush does against your OL. Stick carved us up last year more than anyone else, especially with his read option ... so while your new QB can also run, I like our chances against him as RS FR better than Stick as SR. I know he likes contact, but I think our guys are going to come after and hit him harder than those UCD guys did.

Bottom line .. for ISUr, this game depends a lot on our pass game. If we are able to keep your front 7 honest and not stack box for Robinson, I like our chances. If not, it will be a struggle.

Professor Chaos
September 30th, 2019, 09:08 PM
To understand our offensive stats, you have to see how badly our QB played the first 3 games vs how well he played the NAU game ... night and day difference. He had case of happy feet in pocket and was trying too hard to avoid sacks ... his throws were all over the place. We would have beaten NIU had he shown up and just played ok. In any case, he is our X factor ... he can sling it if he just hangs tough in pocket and only leaves when absolutely needed. So he threw for 410 yards against NAU ... as much as the 3 prior games combined. The other variable was were waiting on top WR Edgar to get back to full speed ... well he was back to full speed for NAU getting 12 catches for 225 yards, but then got injured latein NAU game along with our 2nd best receiver, Grimes. Our receiver group was young to begin with .. now we dig deeper into bench .. next man up.

You will be impressed with our defense .. we're big and stout up front, and usually good withour gap discipine ... but unlike last year, were putting more pressure on QB this year - we lead FCS in sacks. I know you guys like your OL .. so we'll see how our pass rush does against your OL. Stick carved us up last year more than anyone else, especially with his read option ... so while your new QB can also run, I like our chances against him as RS FR better than Stick as SR. I know he likes contact, but I think our guys are going to come after and hit him harder than those UCD guys did.

Bottom line .. for ISUr, this game depends a lot on our pass game. If we are able to keep your front 7 honest and not stack box for Robinson, I like our chances. If not, it will be a struggle.
We'll see if that NAU game was an anomaly or if Davis has turned a corner. NAU is 99th in the country in defensive pass efficiency and NDSU is 6th so I suspect it might be a little rougher for him. He'll need to be sharp, especially on 3rd down, to keep NDSU's defense honest and to keep his own offense on the field. Same goes for Trey Lance, if both of them struggle the defenses are too good and this will turn into a rock fight.

As far as NDSU's O-line goes I think they're the strength of the offense. Illinois St has the best D-line they've seen to this point in the season though so they will be tested... it'll be a fun battle to watch in the trenches.

cx500d
September 30th, 2019, 09:52 PM

If our receivers continue to drop balls like they did against UCD, lances throwing efficiency won’t matter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 30th, 2019, 10:04 PM
I've had Illinois State rated higher than most all season. I like their tough physical style. They're a better version of Delaware imo. I'll be surprised if this isn't a competitive game for 4 quarters.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 1st, 2019, 06:25 AM
Where's the poll BFNWMN? Come on man!:)

Hard to get read on ISUr so far this season. Will be curious to see how Trey responds after a bit tougher outing against UCD then most expected. Redbirds are always tougher at home but I think the Bison win another close one.

Ya, my fault....xrolleyesx....xsmhx

This should be a slugfest with both defenses being very good.

Tutsie will be around the LOS to help stop Robinson IMO. Let the corners play man and make Davis beat them passing the ball. But I'm sure the Bison will play base Tampa-2 with a lot of zone coverage.

Looking forward to this one.

Bison56
October 1st, 2019, 07:46 AM
Going to be a nail biter, 24-21 NDSU win.

Redbird 4th & short
October 1st, 2019, 07:52 AM
We'll see if that NAU game was an anomaly or if Davis has turned a corner. NAU is 99th in the country in defensive pass efficiency and NDSU is 6th so I suspect it might be a little rougher for him. He'll need to be sharp, especially on 3rd down, to keep NDSU's defense honest and to keep his own offense on the field. Same goes for Trey Lance, if both of them struggle the defenses are too good and this will turn into a rock fight.

As far as NDSU's O-line goes I think they're the strength of the offense. Illinois St has the best D-line they've seen to this point in the season though so they will be tested... it'll be a fun battle to watch in the trenches.
agreed on big difference between NDSU and NAU pass defense this year. But last year, there were 11th in pass defense efficiency right behind NDSU and ISUr, and just ahead of JMU and Weber St .. and did this in a pass happy conference. Not sure what is happpening this year .. but it's early.

2018 team defense QBR: http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/change_sport_year_div

Rank
Team
G
W-L
Opp Pass
Opp Cpl
Opp Int
Opp Pass <br/>Yds
Opp Pass <br/>TDs
Pass Eff

Colgate (Patriot) (http://stats.ncaa.org/team/153.0/14280)
10-2

N.C. A&T (MEAC) (http://stats.ncaa.org/team/488.0/14280)
10-2

Georgetown (Patriot) (http://stats.ncaa.org/team/251.0/14280)
5-6

Prairie View (SWAC) (http://stats.ncaa.org/team/553.0/14280)
5-6

Drake (Pioneer) (http://stats.ncaa.org/team/189.0/14280)
7-4

Campbell (Big South) (http://stats.ncaa.org/team/115.0/14280)
6-5

Dartmouth (Ivy League) (http://stats.ncaa.org/team/172.0/14280)
9-1

North Dakota St. (MVFC) (http://stats.ncaa.org/team/493.0/14280)
15-0

Illinois St. (MVFC) (http://stats.ncaa.org/team/299.0/14280)
6-5

Jacksonville St. (OVC) (http://stats.ncaa.org/team/315.0/14280)
9-4

Northern Ariz. (Big Sky) (http://stats.ncaa.org/team/501.0/14280)
4-6

Alabama A&M (SWAC) (http://stats.ncaa.org/team/6.0/14280)
6-5

Weber St. (Big Sky) (http://stats.ncaa.org/team/758.0/14280)
10-3

James Madison (CAA) (http://stats.ncaa.org/team/317.0/14280)
9-4

mvfcfan
October 1st, 2019, 09:46 AM
I feel like NDSU fans are getting bored with the winning and the blowouts every week. You all sound like you want a compeitive gane for a change.

If NDSU doesn't win by at least 10 I will be very surprised. They struggled bad against NIU on offense and that is still NIU's only win so far. My gut tells me that NDSU is better than NIU.

Redbird 4th & short
October 1st, 2019, 10:08 AM
I feel like NDSU fans are getting bored with the winning and the blowouts every week. You all sound like you want a compeitive gane for a change.

If NDSU doesn't win by at least 10 I will be very surprised. They struggled bad against NIU on offense and that is still NIU's only win so far. My gut tells me that NDSU is better than NIU.

that's just one data point ... but yes, if our offense plays like it did against NIU, we will lose and it will be a defensive slug fest and game will probably slip away from us. Because Spack will go all conservative on offense if Davis is struggling.

Bear in mind, our QB Davis out-dualed NAU QB Cookus in game 4 .. simple case of him settling down in pocket, hanging tough, letting plays develop, and making throws. If Bison don;t get to him a lot and he settles his feet, he can sling it

- Davis was 22-33 for 412 yards, 2 TDs, 1 pick (wobbler due to taking hit) .. 185% QBR ... plus 2 sacks, 2 QBHs, and unlike the 3 prior games, he rarely left the pocket with 3 carries. He averaged 9 carries per game in prior 3 games because he kept bailing out of pocket.

- Cookus was 32-56 for 375 yards, 4 TDs, 2 picks ... 130% QBR .. plus 5 sacks, and another 15 QBHs. Their pass offense is #2 in FCS in total yards.

Certainly our QB pressure helped Davis outperform Cookus. BUt Spack has been trying to get Davis to just hang in the pocket a little longer to let plays develop .. if he can do that against NDSU, he will make plays. If he gets happy feet ... then we're back to square one. But he can sling it if he just settles down in the pocket.

mvfcfan
October 1st, 2019, 10:18 AM
NAU also plays little to no defense.

Redbird 4th & short
October 1st, 2019, 10:30 AM
NAU also plays little to no defense.
yep, as I said earlier, they were very strong against the pass last year but seem to be sturggling this year. Keepers says they have 7 of 11 starters bacl on that side of ball ... so not sure what has changed. But against us, they stacked the box with 9 defenders to stop Robinson and left their CBs on an island .. probably because they pass defended so well in Big Sky last year and knew we were previously struggling in our pass offense. So Robinson struggled most of game but finished with 20 carries for 92 yards .. needed a 50 yarder to get those 92 yards .. so they fully committed to stoping Robinson, which also helped QB Davis.

I'm sure Bison coaches will game plan to stop Robinson better this year than last, so that is why I say this game comes down our how well our QB hangs in the pocket. But as Spack said after th e NAU game, the guy we saw against NAU is the guy Spack saw all offseason .. so we're obviously hoping he solved his happy feet in games problem.

frozennorth
October 1st, 2019, 09:40 PM
My hunch is that NDSU's oline completely outclasses NAU's

dewey
October 1st, 2019, 10:28 PM

Unfortunately I agree with you that a lot of NDSU fans are bored of winning....I AM NOT ONE....Also the game against UC Davis was really a good game.

Go Bison!

Dewey

ming01
October 1st, 2019, 10:39 PM
Illinois St usually matches up pretty well physicality wise with us. Some close games over the years. I think we struggle to move the ball for much of the game and see a low scoring affair. Lance will continue to be much involved running wise. Maybe 20-10 or something.

Lorne_Malvo
October 1st, 2019, 10:56 PM
38-13 NDSU.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 2nd, 2019, 06:16 AM
Illinois St usually matches up pretty well physicality wise with us. Some close games over the years. I think we struggle to move the ball for much of the game and see a low scoring affair. Lance will continue to be much involved running wise. Maybe 20-10 or something.

More than likely this.

Both defenses are very good and I both teams will try and stop the other's running game.

Let Trey run any time IMO. Get to Davis and make him make mistakes.

Redbird 4th & short
October 2nd, 2019, 08:51 PM
More than likely this.

Both defenses are very good and I both teams will try and stop the other's running game.

Let Trey run any time IMO. Get to Davis and make him make mistakes.
2 threads are dividing the posts on this big game. From ISUr perspective, we usually do well against dual threat QBs. And I don't think Lance will be able to run on us like he did on UCD. UCD LBers avg 215 lbs .. ours avg closer to 240 lbs and are usually very gap disciplined .. though Stick found holes last year, because we were much more focused on your RBs last year. And I don't think your RBs are as strong this year.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 3rd, 2019, 06:28 AM
2 threads are dividing the posts on this big game. From ISUr perspective, we usually do well against dual threat QBs. And I don't think Lance will be able to run on us like he did on UCD. UCD LBers avg 215 lbs .. ours avg closer to 240 lbs and are usually very gap disciplined .. though Stick found holes last year, because we were much more focused on your RBs last year. And I don't think your RBs are as strong this year.

True RF Johnson might be a RB that could have a big game Saturday. Smaller RB but the fastest one for the Bison.

Ill State is going to make Trey Lance beat them IMO. Probably a lot of 8-9 man fronts in obvious running situations.

mvfcfan
October 3rd, 2019, 06:41 AM
Unfortunately I agree with you that a lot of NDSU fans are bored of winning....I AM NOT ONE....Also the game against UC Davis was really a good game.

Go Bison!

Dewey

It's easy to sit here and say that I wouldn't get bored with it, but I am not sure. I almost think I would prefer finishing with 7-9 wins each year in mostly competitive games and then maybe one day have a 2 year run of just being better than everyone. 9 years of it, might get boring. So I can see where they are coming from.

I might be in the minority, but I have more fun at games where it comes down to the 4th quarter and we lose, than games that we just completely blow out the other opponent. In blowouts I stop paying attention in the 3rd quarter and find myself bored. Like the Dayton game for example to me as a fan would have been more fun to attend (if I could have gone) than a 50-0 blowout of Quincy, despite the loss. Now I don't want to sound like a loser, so I want to make it clear that I prefer close 4th quarter games that we win, but I just don't really like blowouts unless it's against a team I hate.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 3rd, 2019, 06:46 AM
It's easy to sit here and say that I wouldn't get bored with it, but I am not sure. I almost think I would prefer finishing with 7-9 wins each year in mostly competitive games and then maybe one day have a 2 year run of just being better than everyone. 9 years of it, might get boring. So I can see where they are coming from.

I might be in the minority, but I have more fun at games where it comes down to the 4th quarter and we lose, than games that we just completely blow out the other opponent. In blowouts I stop paying attention in the 3rd quarter and find myself bored. Like the Dayton game for example to me as a fan would have been more fun to attend (if I could have gone) than a 50-0 blowout of Quincy, despite the loss. Now I don't want to sound like a loser, so I want to make it clear that I prefer close 4th quarter games that we win, but I just don't really like blowouts unless it's against a team I hate.

I'll never get tired of my team winning. What the Bison have done and continue to do is unprecedented.

Win by 1 or 50, I do not care!

Redbird 4th & short
October 3rd, 2019, 07:48 AM
True RF Johnson might be a RB that could have a big game Saturday. Smaller RB but the fastest one for the Bison.

Ill State is going to make Trey Lance beat them IMO. Probably a lot of 8-9 man fronts in obvious running situations.

My biggest fear/unknown isn't Lance, it is not knowing which NDSU RB to game plan for. Spack does much better game planning key personnel. You guys go deep and have many options. Last year, we focused a lot on your 2 headed monster RB tandem and did well ... but Stick killed us. This year, there is no one player in backfield to focus on accept QB Lance. That said, I think Lance is in for some big hits like he hasn't seen yet this year ... I saw him breaking tackles and running over the UCD players on some plays. We've had some strong games against dual threats before .. obviously hoping we see another this week.

Anyway ... really looking forward to watching both of the lines go at it for 60 minutes .... because of this stalemate inside IMO, I think the outcome and score will depend on each teams QB, more than RBs. If I had to guess, I would say your OL is better than ours, and our DL is better than yours .. makes for great match up inside.

Going to be fun to watch as a football fan .. hope we come ready to compete in all phases.

mvfcfan
October 3rd, 2019, 07:53 AM
My point is most people, including myself, would rather watch a competitive game that comes down to the final minutes than a 20+ point blowout every week. You guys "only" won by 11 against UC Davis and everyone was making it a big deal. I'm not saying that I want my team to lose or that NDSU fans want their team to lose. I'm just saying I think the people in Fargo are getting bored with blowouts. You can just tell in the writing on a lot of Bison fans' posts that they are itching for a down to the wire game. The bad part for your fans is that it looks like they will have to go on the road to see good games. Outside of the UNI game, your remaining home games are MSU, WIU, and USD which will all be laughers.

POD Knows
October 3rd, 2019, 07:58 AM
My point is most people, including myself, would rather watch a competitive game that comes down to the final minutes than a 20+ point blowout every week. You guys "only" won by 11 against UC Davis and everyone was making it a big deal. I'm not saying that I want my team to lose or that NDSU fans want their team to lose. I'm just saying I think the people in Fargo are getting bored with blowouts. You can just tell in the writing on a lot of Bison fans' posts that they are itching for a down to the wire game. The bad part for your fans is that it looks like they will have to go on the road to see good games. Outside of the UNI game, your remaining home games are MSU, WIU, and USD which will all be laughers.Count me out on wishing for a "down to the wire" game, I love blow outs. Games that are over at the end of the 1st quarter, I will take those all day long.

UpstateBison
October 3rd, 2019, 08:13 AM
I am with BFNWMN and PODKnows on this one. I love blowouts. See you on Saturday BFNWMN.

I think we need to use our tight ends in the passing game on Saturday. We did not do that against UCD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Professor Chaos
October 3rd, 2019, 08:20 AM
My point is most people, including myself, would rather watch a competitive game that comes down to the final minutes than a 20+ point blowout every week. You guys "only" won by 11 against UC Davis and everyone was making it a big deal. I'm not saying that I want my team to lose or that NDSU fans want their team to lose. I'm just saying I think the people in Fargo are getting bored with blowouts. You can just tell in the writing on a lot of Bison fans' posts that they are itching for a down to the wire game. The bad part for your fans is that it looks like they will have to go on the road to see good games. Outside of the UNI game, your remaining home games are MSU, WIU, and USD which will all be laughers.
There's a lot of truth to this... we have an insanely spoiled fan base to the point where it's starting to get a little rotten and ticket demand is decreasing. 2 years ago I would've said "yeah, the regular season is pretty tame but once the playoffs show up it'll ramp up" but last year playoff attendance at the Fargodome was down in all 3 rounds compared to previous season averages. The refrain seemed to be "I know they're going to win so I don't care to go" which is just an asinine POV to me. I'm with POD I love blowouts... I love watching my team execute close to the best they can and just completely outclass the opponent. It seems I have more than a few fellow fans that don't feel the same or were just riding the bandwagon and are now getting tired of "the ride".

I know all you non-Bison fans have incredible sympathy for our predicament. ;)

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 3rd, 2019, 09:52 AM

Everyone asking a big deal of a close game?

Really?

Not in my circle.

Are we spoiled as a fan base? Maybe, maybe not. But I can tell you this, most fans love that the Bison outclass most teams.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 3rd, 2019, 09:55 AM
There's a lot of truth to this... we have an insanely spoiled fan base to the point where it's starting to get a little rotten and ticket demand is decreasing. 2 years ago I would've said "yeah, the regular season is pretty tame but once the playoffs show up it'll ramp up" but last year playoff attendance at the Fargodome was down in all 3 rounds compared to previous season averages. The refrain seemed to be "I know they're going to win so I don't care to go" which is just an asinine POV to me. I'm with POD I love blowouts... I love watching my team execute close to the best they can and just completely outclass the opponent. It seems I have more than a few fellow fans that don't feel the same or were just riding the bandwagon and are now getting tired of "the ride".

Games being on TV makes it easy for some to stay home.

I don't anyone who has ever said they don't go because they are going to win anyway...

Derby City Duke
October 3rd, 2019, 11:20 AM

I like it when we curb stomp a quality opponent -- like Elon last week or SHSU in the quarters a few years back. I don't so much enjoy it when we put 60+ on the Morgan States and Robert Morrises of the world. Our win versus Weber in '17 was a little to edgy for my taste, but the was one helluva game.

Professor Chaos
October 3rd, 2019, 12:05 PM
Games being on TV makes it easy for some to stay home.

I don't anyone who has ever said they don't go because they are going to win anyway...
I heard it a lot on Bisonville the week before the Colgate quarterfinal game last year. Of course that might've just been people making up excuses for the (relatively) poor ticket sales. But using that quarterfinal game as an example... it's been on ESPN at noon ET since 2013 and the attendance has been dropping over the last couple years.

2013 (vs Coastal Carolina): 18,219
2014 (vs Coastal Carolina): 18,049
2015 (vs UNI): 18,041
2016 (vs SDSU): 18,285
2017 (vs Wofford): 17,008
2018 (vs Colgate): 16,404

Redbird 4th & short
October 3rd, 2019, 12:26 PM
putting aside my taking offense that this game thread is being used to debate whether people like blowout games or not ..... xconfusedx

when it comes to blowouts vs nail biters ..

https://pics.me.me/thumb_i-like-both-memegenerator-net-i-like-both-radio-pie-53423403.png
(https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiMwdD3zYDlAhVOKKwKHQnDD8YQjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fme.me%2Fi%2Fi-like-both-memegenerator-net-i-like-both-radio-pie-b2b8c261e68f4801a12382380dec4804&psig=AOvVaw3X22aEhhlIwwTrWkF6TdOO&ust=1570209919707058)

Derby City Duke
October 3rd, 2019, 03:12 PM
putting aside my taking offense that this game thread is being used to debate whether people like blowout games or not ..... xconfusedx

when it comes to blowouts vs nail biters ..

https://pics.me.me/thumb_i-like-both-memegenerator-net-i-like-both-radio-pie-53423403.png (https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiMwdD3zYDlAhVOKKwKHQnDD8YQjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fme.me%2Fi%2Fi-like-both-memegenerator-net-i-like-both-radio-pie-b2b8c261e68f4801a12382380dec4804&psig=AOvVaw3X22aEhhlIwwTrWkF6TdOO&ust=1570209919707058)

Thread drift is a way of life in many AGS threads...guilty xthumbsupx

cx500d
October 3rd, 2019, 03:41 PM
I like it when we curb stomp an opponent -- like Elon last week or SHSU in the quarters a few years back. I don't so much enjoy it when we put 60+ on the Morgan States and Robert Morrises of the world, except for SHSU which was very fun. Our win versus Weber in '17 was a little to edgy for my taste, but the was one helluva game.

FYP

Derby City Duke
October 3rd, 2019, 07:16 PM
FYP

👍🤪

Bisonoline
October 3rd, 2019, 09:39 PM

The problem with many of our fans when it comes to close games is they lose their collective **** and bitch about what we did wrong instead of looking at what the opposing team did right.

dewey
October 3rd, 2019, 09:45 PM
The problem with many of our fans when it comes to close games is they lose their collective **** and bitch about what we did wrong instead of looking at what the opposing team did right.

The game should always be 200-0...but some fans will bitch that it isn't exciting. I am learning that people will complain no matter what.

Dewey

UpstateBison
October 3rd, 2019, 09:59 PM

This is why I need to sit next to you and BFNWMN at the games to keep me calm. I appreciate it.

Bisonoline
October 3rd, 2019, 10:20 PM
This is why I need to sit next to you and BFNWMN at the games to keep me calm. I appreciate it.

If you watch the ball you miss 95% of whats happening on the field.

Redbird 4th & short
October 4th, 2019, 08:14 AM
If you watch the ball you miss 95% of whats happening on the field.

good point, especially in game like this one with 2 teams that lead with defense and run games .. but I don't know how any fan can avoid watching the ball, unless you were a coach who is familiar with scouting games. Or maybe watching replay on film afterwards, but during the game ... tough not to watch ball .. even as a fan who completely appreciates the importance of line play and other things happening away from the ball.

good point, nonetheless

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 4th, 2019, 05:16 PM
Nice day here in Normal on a Friday!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm a steady rock in the fan section....lol

Bisonoline
October 4th, 2019, 06:21 PM
good point, especially in game like this one with 2 teams that lead with defense and run games .. but I don't know how any fan can avoid watching the ball, unless you were a coach who is familiar with scouting games. Or maybe watching replay on film afterwards, but during the game ... tough not to watch ball .. even as a fan who completely appreciates the importance of line play and other things happening away from the ball.

good point, nonetheless

Well its easy for me to say because as a former player we watch film and a game much differently than most people. My eyes start with the o-line to backfield to defensive line set which tells me where the backers are. Back to oline for whatever motion is in play then the snap. The oline play pretty much tell me where my eyes need to go next.

Bisonoline
October 4th, 2019, 06:23 PM
Nice day here in Normal on a Friday!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm a steady rock in the fan section....lol

Have fun. See you next week.

fencer24
October 4th, 2019, 06:50 PM
Well its easy for me to say because as a former player we watch film and a game much differently than most people. My eyes start with the o-line to backfield to defensive line set which tells me where the backers are. Back to oline for whatever motion is in play then the snap. The oline play pretty much tell me where my eyes need to go next.

Excellent points, but the object of the game is to advance the ball downfield. While all you describe is necessary, the only thing that matters is where the ball is at the end of the play.

Redbird 4th & short
October 4th, 2019, 07:49 PM
I quickly scan to account for alignment, especially defense and receivers, but then i watch mostly watch the ball and nearby blockers. I don't have a trained eye like you and others, other than maybe physical attributes because I used to train a lot.

dewey
October 4th, 2019, 09:40 PM

I want to sit next to you with a 12 pack of Summit EPA, Doritos and a can of jalapeno cheese. That would be fun....for me.

Dewey

Bisonoline
October 5th, 2019, 12:34 AM
I want to sit next to you with a 12 pack of Summit EPA, Doritos and a can of jalapeno cheese. That would be fun....for me.

Dewey

Whats funny is I actually had to think about how I watch a game to make that post because I dont think about it. Its automatic.

HAL_9000
October 5th, 2019, 03:26 AM
I understand that watching Football is different than soccer or basketball or baseball or basketball.

I state "I don't watch the ball" OK. That is fine, there are so many things to watch, the problem is everything is happening simultaneously.

HAL_9000
October 5th, 2019, 03:30 AM
Did I mention Basketball? Oh right.

caribbeanhen
October 5th, 2019, 09:51 AM
I understand that watching Football is different than soccer or basketball or baseball or basketball.

I state "I don't watch the ball" OK. That is fine, there are so many things to watch, the problem is everything is happening simultaneously.

you don't know how to watch a baseball game is what you just said

POD Knows
October 5th, 2019, 09:56 AM
you don't know how to watch a baseball game is what you just saidOne thing that has always bothered me about televised baseball is the complete focus on the pitcher and the batter. When I am watching a game in person, I look at a lot of different things because I used to play a lot of baseball in my youth. I don't think baseball translates well to TV because of their fixation of the camera behind the pitcher. There are a lot of other things going on that you can't see.

caribbeanhen
October 5th, 2019, 10:19 AM
One thing that has always bothered me about televised baseball is the complete focus on the pitcher and the batter. When I am watching a game in person, I look at a lot of different things because I used to play a lot of baseball in my youth. I don't think baseball translates well to TV because of their fixation of the camera behind the pitcher. There are a lot of other things going on that you can't see.

totally agree

I would add that with all the college football games on TV and being streamed today they tend to focus on the quarterback too much, Hard to tell what’s going on sometimes with all the zoomed in shots

MR. CHICKEN
October 5th, 2019, 10:23 AM
31147....AS DUH BATTER IS....YANKIN' HIS SEEDS.....&.......TIGHTENIN'....DUH BATTIN' GLOVES........AN' DUH PITCHER......IS TAKIN' DEEP BREATHS......LIKE OXYGEN......WILL NO LONGER BE FREE........AH'M LOOKIN'...FO' LOVELIES.....IN DUH STANDS......THANKY FO' 3-2 COUNTS...................BRAWK!

POD Knows
October 5th, 2019, 10:26 AM
totally agree

I would add that with all the college football games on TV and being streamed today they tend to focus on the quarterback too much, Hard to tell what’s going on sometimes with all the zoomed in shotsI actually prefer to watch football games from the end zone. I played RB and LB in high school and like to watch the plays from behind the line of scrimmage.

caribbeanhen
October 5th, 2019, 10:44 AM
31147....AS DUH BATTER IS....YANKIN' HIS SEEDS.....&.......TIGHTENIN'....DUH BATTIN' GLOVES........AN' DUH PITCHER......IS TAKIN' DEEP BREATHS......LIKE OXYGEN......WILL NO LONGER BE FREE........AH'M LOOKIN'...FO' LOVELIES.....IN DUH STANDS......THANKY FO' 3-2 COUNTS.................this is part of the beauty of the game, pun

Lorne_Malvo
October 5th, 2019, 12:03 PM
I thought this game was a sell out? Lots of empty seats.

ST_Lawson
October 5th, 2019, 12:09 PM
totally agree

I would add that with all the college football games on TV and being streamed today they tend to focus on the quarterback too much, Hard to tell what’s going on sometimes with all the zoomed in shots

Except when you're lucky enough that they have multiple streams going where you can switch between things like the "regular" feed, the "skycam" view, etc. They really only seem to do that on the "big" FCS games though. I'd love to see them someday be able to stream all camera angles simultaneously and then allow you to switch, do picture-in-picture, or split it into 4 quadrants, but do it for all games.

X-Factor
October 5th, 2019, 02:16 PM
Well, I think this puts a firm answer to the vulnerable calls after UCD!