PDA

View Full Version : Villanova @ William & Mary

Gangtackle11
September 29th, 2019, 08:04 AM
#5 Villanova (5-0, 2-0) @ William & Mary (2-3, 0-1)

Game Time: 3:30pm

The Tribe leads the all-time series 18-15-1
Last Villanova Win: 2014
Last W&M Win: 2018 24-17 at Nova

Wildcats head south for the 1st of 2 consecutive weekends in Virginia (@JMU next week)

Nova looks to avenge last season’s 24-17 win by The Tribe.

Family weekend in Williamsburg. Promises to be another exciting CAA match-up.

LetsGoNova
September 29th, 2019, 09:58 AM
I think we all said we’d be ecstatic with 3-1 in the four games starting with Towson. Sitting at 2-0. Get this one and then it’s house money at JMU. Really playing well right now.

hktribefan
September 29th, 2019, 08:50 PM
I really have no idea what to expect out of us. Coming off to PL wins where we cruised, and UVa where we were blown out (but expected), ECU was frustrating because it was there to win. Going up to Albany and losing like that was very disappointing. I hope we can rebound and get it going in front of the home crowd, but you guys seem to be on a hot streak.

Sitting Bull
September 29th, 2019, 10:15 PM
Not sure why you left off all the series data that you open with your other game threads? It's one of the more extensive rivalries in total games in the CAA.

i will check this week and add.

Twyxx
September 30th, 2019, 09:29 AM
Any update on the injury to Amin Black? Could be a big loss to the cats.

caribbeanhen
September 30th, 2019, 11:28 AM
looks like Gangsters Preps are setting up nicely to run the table, only The Dooky Dogs and the Henderson Hens stand in the way!

Sitting Bull
September 30th, 2019, 01:46 PM
Thanks GT for adding some background.

Going to wait before voting on poll. Right now I'm feeling the Tribe may have a solid shot given where this game falls. Still feel the renewed enthusiasm and think the defense will be tighter after the game at UAlbany (who I think may be better than previously thought).

My hunch could change during the week.

Gangtackle11
September 30th, 2019, 02:47 PM
Any update on the injury to Amin Black? Could be a big loss to the cats.

Wish Amin well. Doubtful he’ll be playing this weekend seeing him on the sidelines, but you never know he’s a tough kid from the city. xpeacex

Gangtackle11
September 30th, 2019, 04:58 PM
looks like Gangsters Preps are setting up nicely to run the table, only The Dooky Dogs and the Henderson Hens stand in the way!

Lol. What an insult to JMU.

Just worried about W&M. We’ll take care of the dirty filthy birds in due time. The Tribe is the only target. Any CAA team is dangerous.

I love the Delaware bravado. Check this warped thought process:

Beat Delaware State (who?) 31-13.
Take 3 OTs to beat a winless Rhody team.
Bison were packing their bags when Delaware put up meaningless points to get within 24.
Need to stop a 2 point conversion to beat a decent, but not great Penn team.
Play Pitt real tough, but lose.

So what comes out of this is Delaware is in the way of a 5-0 Villanova team with wins over 2 Top 12 teams (Towson actually 5) at the time game was played.

You guys really don’t see anything, but your Blue Hens. Very Sad. No, actually comical. xpeacex

jmu007
September 30th, 2019, 06:03 PM
I voted for William & Mary only because of the #5 losing streak someone brought up earlier. Nothing like a good curse to really take things up a notch.

Henny
September 30th, 2019, 07:33 PM
Newsflash to Gangtesticle..... Delaware is a drastically different team with Nolan Henderson at QB. Delaware was withing within 1-2 plays of knocking off a strong ACC team this week. You are sounding more and more desperate by the week.

Your days of this false narrative of trying to make UD look bad are over and everyone on this board knows it.

The Nova W&M game is too close to call. right now. this is the CAA.....

Gangtackle11
September 30th, 2019, 08:15 PM
Newsflash to Gangtesticle..... Delaware is a drastically different team with Nolan Henderson at QB. Delaware was withing within 1-2 plays of knocking off a strong ACC team this week. You are sounding more and more and desperate by the week.

Your days of this false narrative of trying to make UD look bad are over and everyone on this board knows it.

The Nova W&M game is too close to call. right now. this is the CAA.....

Lol.

Henderson is good. I liked him last year when our defense used him as a human pin cushion. He also started against Penn in a 1 point win. No? Now he’s the 2nd coming?

I give up. Uncle. Delaware is back. The close loss to Pittsburgh proves it. Their 1 point win vs. Penn with Henny’s Smyrna QB & RB are just too much to overcome.

Carrib wrote JMU & Delaware are in Nova’s way. I responded to that laughable comment. Putting JMU & Delaware in the same sentence as being in the way of Nova is just nonsense. No one with Nova football has worried about Delaware football for years. It used to be a rivalry. No matter the time frame Nova owns the better record than the great football power of Delaware.

Beat Nova twice in the same decade before coming on here saying it’s a different Delaware. Your mascot should be a Rented Mule when it comes to Nova. Beaten like a rented mule.

NO FALSE NARRATIVE THERE HENNY.

Now all you Delaware fans can go away. Enjoy your bye week & dream of being something special again. Henderson has a 1 point win vs. Penn & a 3 point loss (14 points scored) vs. Pitt. Wait to you see Dan Smith up close. Your head will spin. xpeacex

hktribefan
September 30th, 2019, 09:10 PM
Yeah yeah, we get it. You two don't like each other.

Will be interesting to see who we roll out at QB. Mathis is very strong, but the past couple of games has had to come out after getting shaken up. Anderson is very capable, but certainly doesn't have the running threat of Mathis.

Gangtackle11
September 30th, 2019, 09:12 PM
Just finished watching William & Mary vs. Albany. That Go-Go offense is interesting.

Healthy respect for W&M. Always play Nova tough. Road game & family weekend makes it even tougher. I expect Nova to be ready. Team has rallied behind this 9th preseason prediction & 0 All-CAA players.

They walked into the stadium vs. Maine wearing 88 Strong shirts representing the 88 players on the roster. I doubt they will take anyone lightly, but a game between ranked Maine & JMU on the road is a likely tough game. xpeacex

Gangtackle11
October 1st, 2019, 04:13 AM
5dimes line is out.

Villanova -7 (over/under 51.5)

hktribefan
October 1st, 2019, 04:31 AM
Not a surprising line given we let the ECU and Albany games slip away. I think it will be closer than that in reality.

Sitting Bull
October 1st, 2019, 06:29 AM
For W&M, our season will break on this game. If we can pull it out, we will be making excellent progress in this new season under London. A non competitive loss and not sure if I would see but a couple of wins if that left this year.

It will be on the defense to step-up here.

Gangtackle11
October 1st, 2019, 06:38 AM
For W&M, our season will break on this game. If we can pull it out, we will be making excellent progress in this new season under London. A non competitive loss and not sure if I would see but a couple of wins if that left this year.

It will be on the defense to step-up here.

I’d agree with that statement after watching your Albany game. Nova has a well balanced attack that put up 45 in regulation vs. Towson & 30 in the 1st half vs. Maine. W&M will have a good chance to win this game if they keep Nova under control with their defense. Big if from what I’ve seen on film, but I’m expecting a spirited Tribe team to give the Cats a game. xpeacex

Henny
October 1st, 2019, 07:03 AM
Lol.

Henderson is good. I liked him last year when our defense used him as a human pin cushion. He also started against Penn in a 1 point win. No? Now he’s the 2nd coming?

I give up. Uncle. Delaware is back. The close loss to Pittsburgh proves it. Their 1 point win vs. Penn with Henny’s Smyrna QB & RB are just too much to overcome.

Carrib wrote JMU & Delaware are in Nova’s way. I responded to that laughable comment. Putting JMU & Delaware in the same sentence as being in the way of Nova is just nonsense. No one with Nova football has worried about Delaware football for years. It used to be a rivalry. No matter the time frame Nova owns the better record than the great football power of Delaware.

Beat Nova twice in the same decade before coming on here saying it’s a different Delaware. Your mascot should be a Rented Mule when it comes to Nova. Beaten like a rented mule.

Now all you Delaware fans can go away. Enjoy your bye week & dream of being something special again. Henderson has a 1 point win vs. Penn & a 3 point loss (14 points scored) vs. Pitt. Wait to you see Dan Smith up close. Your head will spin. xpeacex

Tell your AD to pull the tampon out and get a real OOC schedule. What we are realizing is that Nova is playing the three worst teams in the Patriot and LIU.

That should really hurt come Selection Sunday!

Gangtackle11
October 1st, 2019, 08:02 AM
Tell your AD to pull the tampon out and get a real OOC schedule. What we are realizing is that Nova is playing the three worst teams in the Patriot and LIU.

Nova goes 5-3 in the CAA the OOC won’t matter much. It’s all about getting there. Colgate was #13 in the FCS preseason. If LIU is so awful than why is Delaware playing them for next season? Your argument doesn’t hold up Henny. You were embarrassed by NDSU the past 2 seasons. That helped your program? Really?

Stick to LIU, Penn, etc. Playing NDSU exposed the very thing you strive for. Relevancy in the National stage is so far away. A point win at home to Penn is more who Delaware is today. Playing NDSU is sheer lunacy for a program that their glory days have passed them by.

Now we listen to how the great moral victory at Pitt (which I publicly said nice job btw) somehow puts Delaware back in the FCS power world. Any sane person sees that Delaware isn’t what it used to be.

It used to be a rivalry. Now it’s just a W on the schedule. xlolx

Now go back to your bingo game at the rest home. We’re playing W&M this week. In due time you will feel another painful November loss to your daddy Villanova. xpeacex

Henny
October 1st, 2019, 08:11 AM
Nova goes 5-3 in the CAA the OOC won’t matter much. It’s all about getting there. Colgate was #13 in the FCS preseason. If LIU was so awful than why is Delaware have them for next season? Your argument doesn’t hold up Henny. You were embarrassed by NDSU the past 2 seasons. That helped your program? Really?

Now go back to your bingo game at the rest home. We’re playing W&M this week. In due time you will feel another painful November loss to your daddy Villanova. xpeacex

You're not very good with how the selection committee works. A team's OOC schedule and performance is crutial to where its selected. Even if Nova goes 5-3 in CAA, its going to be extremely difficult to convince the committee when it comes to seeding etc.....

Having arguable the weakest OOC schedule in the nation THIS SEASON. Is going to hurt Nova no matter how you want to slice it!!!

Gangtackle11
October 1st, 2019, 08:18 AM
You're not very good with how the selection committee works. A team's OOC schedule and performance is crutial to where its selected. Even if Nova goes 5-3 in CAA, its going to be extremely difficult to convince the committee when it comes to seeding etc.....

Having arguable the weakest OOC schedule in the nation THIS SEASON. Is going to hurt Nova no matter how you want to slice it!!!

Ill take my chances at 9-3 & 5-3 in the CAA. Wins over 2 Nationally ranked teams already. (3 if you count Colgate at the time). 5-3 means 3 more wins and likely another Top 25 FCS team beaten.

So who knows what? You willing to put your expertise with the FCS selection committee that a 9-3 Villanova with a 5-3 CAA conference will not be a playoff team?

Go ahead Henny. I’ll let you retract yet another crazed statement by a fan who only see Blue Hens. Just stop. You are wrong here. Once again. xpeacex

Gangtackle11
October 1st, 2019, 08:20 AM
I want to talk with W&M fans. They play us tough. xpeacex

Ivytalk
October 1st, 2019, 08:28 AM
Much as I’d like to see a win for the nation’s second-oldest college, with which I have deep family roots, I think Boston College Lite wins this by 10.

Gangtackle11
October 1st, 2019, 08:31 AM

I’m willing to bet that if Nova goes 5-3 in the CAA that the OOC won’t matter much. Given that we already have beaten 2 Top 20 CAA teams. Heck even Colgate was ranked when we beat them. So we have 3 Top 20 FCS scalps already. I have a hard time believing a 9-3 & 5-3 in the CAA Villanova will be sitting home. 8-4 quite possibly.

Delaware has a moral victory at Pitt, another blowout loss at home to NDSU, & 3 wins against teams with a combined record currently of 0-7. I’m supposed to be impressed?

You should have some respect for the current #5 FCS team that your team hasn’t beaten very often, but you are a Delaware guy who only sees Delaware. You can’t. Enjoy the bye week. xpeacex

Henny
October 1st, 2019, 08:32 AM
Ill take my chances at 9-3 & 5-3 in the CAA. Wins over 2 Nationally ranked teams already. (3 if you count Colgate at the time). 5-3 means 3 more wins and likely another Top 25 FCS team beaten.

So who knows what? You willing to put your expertise with the FCS selection committee that a 9-3 Villanova with a 5-3 CAA conference will not be a playoff team?

Go ahead Henny. I’ll let you retract yet another crazed statement by a fan who only see Blue Hens. Just stop. You are wrong here. Once again. xpeacex

Oh you'll make the playoffs at 9-3, just get ready to go on the road in the first round! Your OOC schedule and incredibly weak home attendance sealed that.!

Gangtackle11
October 1st, 2019, 08:35 AM
Now back to W&M hopefully......xpeacex

caribbeanhen
October 1st, 2019, 08:46 AM
Lol.

looks like you might of deleted your first response Gangster, and put more of an urban edge to it...... the more you babble on about the Hens just shows us how relevant they actually are, like and old top 40 song that starts replaying in your head, the Gang banger just can't get Delaware out of his

What's the over / under on the Rented Mule comment? I would say 25, if Delaware makes the Playoffs.... 50

Henderson makes Delaware a threat that needs to be taken seriously by the rest of the CAA and you know this

Gangtackle11
October 1st, 2019, 09:00 AM
looks like you might of deleted your first response Gangster, and put more of an urban edge to it...... the more you babble on about the Hens just shows us how relevant they actually are, like and old top 40 song that starts replaying in your head, the Gang banger just can't get Delaware out of his

What's the over / under on the Rented Mule comment? I would say 25, if Delaware makes the Playoffs.... 50

Henderson makes Delaware a threat that needs to be taken seriously by the rest of the CAA and you know this

I deleted nothing. Either Kardashian’s uncle or the admin. I think the rented mule is appropriate given the results. I like Henderson. I said it last season, but let’s wait on Delaware. The facts say a 1 point win at home vs. Penn (thank the Penn coach for not taking it to OT) & a moral victory at Pitt where 14 points were scored by the Smyrna Superman.

You won’t admit publicly because you’ll be banned by the sunshine boys on gohens, but the Kardashian uncle needs to stop and look at how u got to 3-2. Funny how Nova is criticized for the schedule, but to date Delaware hasn’t beat a team with a win yet. Nova at least beat 2 Top 20 CAA teams. It means nothing to you guys since your moral victory has u all glassy eyed. Scheduling NDSU to get curb stomped doesn’t go down as impressive. Like the 100 lbs. kid who gets knocked out by the 200 lbs. kid in the playground. Some call it brave. Most call it moronic. Don’t worry u put LIU on your schedule. Hippocritical?

I want to talk W&M football. The rented mule game can wait. (That’s for your tally carrib)xpeacex

Gangtackle11
October 1st, 2019, 09:14 AM
Admin looks to have taken down some of my responses. Probably a good thing as they pointed out how Delaware is yet to win a game against a team with a win. xpeacex

caribbeanhen
October 1st, 2019, 09:41 AM
Admin looks to have taken down some of my responses. Probably a good thing as they pointed out how Delaware is yet to win a game against a team with a win. xpeacex

not sure why admin would do that, the respone I remember was actually pretty tame

but who cares really

My initial take on this game is Nova wins

31 - 21

Im not sold on William and Mary just yet

Henny
October 1st, 2019, 09:50 AM

LOL!!! Penn played their first game against UD! and do you really think Rhody is your typical 0-4 team.

Penn is better than all of Nova's OOC opponents THIS YEAR.

I'll give you Del St.....

Twyxx
October 1st, 2019, 09:54 AM
I think this will be a battle for Nova. They are playing on the road against a team that is probably tougher than their schedule suggests. I also don't think that Nova is quite as good as they have looked so far. The game in Harrisonburg is looming, but the Cats will need to get past this one first. I think VU wins, but I would not be surprised with a loss.

Gangtackle11
October 1st, 2019, 12:18 PM
LOL!!! Penn played their first game against UD! and do you really think Rhody is your typical 0-4 team.

Penn is better than all of Nova's OOC opponents THIS YEAR.

I'll give you Del St.....

The same excuse can apply to Colgate....not that I care to offer it up other than to point out your slanted argument. We have wins at #5 Towson & #14 Maine. Your impressive wins? xpeacex

Tribe4SF
October 2nd, 2019, 05:46 AM
Tribe is still an evolving work. Offense has shown potential but has lacked consistency and turnovers really hurt in the last two games. When you've only got the ball for 24 minutes second half defensive issues become predictable. Maybe Nova will choose to kick it to Bronson Yoder and give us a chance!

Sitting Bull
October 2nd, 2019, 09:06 AM
W&M has won last two games, both at Villanova - 38-16 in 2015 and 24-17 last year.

Tribe's last win against Villanova at Zable came in 2010, 31-24. Nova then ranked #1.

Anyone remember, Dante Cook?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5gJTeQFOe8

VUCats02
October 2nd, 2019, 11:48 AM
W&M has won last two games, both at Villanova - 38-16 in 2015 and 24-17 last year.

Tribe's last win against Villanova at Zable came in 2010, 38-28. Nova then ranked #1.

Anyone remember, Dante Cook?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5gJTeQFOe8

That was a big time revenge game for you guys from the epic instant classic 14-13 Nova win in the Semi's year before.

These two teams have produced some really good games over the years!

HailSzczur
October 2nd, 2019, 12:25 PM
That was a big time revenge game for you guys from the epic instant classic 14-13 Nova win in the Semi's year before.

These two teams have produced some really good games over the years!

The last drive of the 2014 game basically won Robertson the Payton Award. Drove down during Fall break for that one.

TribeNomad1
October 2nd, 2019, 04:16 PM
I recall a shootout game in the 'burg when Westbrook was the featured back. I tended to drink more back then, but recall a warm sunny Fall day, and a win at the end. Nothing can make the pain of the 2009 game fade after we blew the 10-0 halftime lead. Laycock got outcoached by Talley in the second half big time. Usually a fun, good game, hoping for another on Saturday!

Gangtackle11
October 2nd, 2019, 06:20 PM
I’d have to say that of all the CAA matchups this is almost always a great battle between 2 strong academic institutions.

Probably my favorite CAA match-up tbh. See ya this weekend. xpeacex

hktribefan
October 3rd, 2019, 02:49 AM
I'm still cold from that playoff loss; but there have been some great games. The really big thing is stupid penalties at bad times. Those have come at really bad times (especially against Albany). If we can put all three phases together it could be a fun game. I think a good crowd turnout would help our guys as well.

Ivytalk
October 3rd, 2019, 10:24 AM
I’d have to say that of all the CAA matchups this is almost always a great battle between 2 strong academic institutions. .

William & Mary only counts as one strong academic institution.xrolleyesx

vutomcat
October 3rd, 2019, 12:28 PM
William & Mary only counts as one strong academic institution.xrolleyesx

Geez, and people accuse us of being snobby! xsmiley_wix

Gangtackle11
October 3rd, 2019, 02:28 PM
5dimes line has moved to Villanova -10 (51.5 over/under)

Gangtackle11
October 3rd, 2019, 04:46 PM
William & Mary Game Notes: https://static.tribeathletics.com/custompages/files/fb/2019/villanova.pdf

Gangtackle11
October 3rd, 2019, 04:49 PM
Villanova Game Notes: https://s3.amazonaws.com/villanova.com/documents/2019/10/3/G6_William_Mary.pdf

Anthony215
October 4th, 2019, 11:08 AM
Sucks Nova lost LB Amin Black to a season ending ACL injury and because it was in the 5th game he won't be able to use this year as a redshirt. He was a big playmaker despite being only 5-9 anchoring the LB core.

vutomcat
October 4th, 2019, 11:23 AM
Sucks Nova lost LB Amin Black to a season ending ACL injury and because it was in the 5th game he won't be able to use this year as a redshirt. He was a big playmaker despite being only 5-9 anchoring the LB core.

Very bad news for Amin and the defense. He was really coming into his own this year. On a positive note, I see that Jalen Jackson is back on the depth chart. xthumbsupx

Nova09
October 5th, 2019, 06:08 PM
Very odd 2nd half. With just under 2 mins left, only 5 total drives--2 td each and a long nova drive ending in fumble. Tribe last drive prob another td if they had 2 more mins but clock made play calling predictable

Gangtackle11
October 5th, 2019, 11:31 PM
Typical CAA road game. W&M hung tough, but in the end Nova found s way.

6-0 for the 1st time since 2003. xpeacex

RootinFerDukes
October 5th, 2019, 11:33 PM
Typical CAA road game. W&M hung tough, but in the end Nova found s way.

6-0 for the 1st time since 2003. xpeacex

Yep. CAA road games really can be tough. We both learned that the hard way today.

See you next week. I'm looking forward to having an opposing fan actually talking all week on AGS. It's rare.

hktribefan
October 6th, 2019, 10:21 PM
Yeah this was another frustrating loss for us. We show we can play with anyone, but then have a number of mistakes that cost us. Injuries played a big part in this one. We didn't have our top QB or starting NG, you guys weren't full and then lost Covington. Anderson at QB for us is good and can make plays, but his throws have been just a little off. More than a few times he's had an open receiver and it's just barely out of reach, or right off the fingertips. Given how poorly we played in the first half it was a pleasant surprise to have it be only 21-14 at halftime. Good game though, will be interested to see how your game with JMU goes as they come into Zable the following week.

Gangtackle11
October 7th, 2019, 08:28 AM
CAA is week to week league. Respect to W&M they fought hard. Nova is young. They need these type of games to learn how to win in this league.

xpeacex