PDA

View Full Version : FBS or FCS

89Hen
May 7th, 2007, 03:41 PM
On the JMU ticket sales thread Flytown made the claim that "MOST fans on this site would LOVE to see their teams move up to I-A." and I was wondering if he was correct. I don't want to steer anyone, but I think you have to be reasonable. For example, I woulnd't vote yes because you say IF we could get an invite to a BCS conference...

What say you?

Ivytalk
May 7th, 2007, 03:44 PM
If it means abandoning the playoff system: NEVER!!!xthumbsupx

dbackjon
May 7th, 2007, 03:45 PM
If the Pac-10 called - then yes. But, since the Pac 10 has no idea where Flagstaff is, odds are about 1,000,000,000 to 1

If the Mountain West called, probably a yes, since all sports would benefit greatly. But again, odds are 1,000,000 to 1 o f that happening.

IF the WAC called, and invited say UM, MSU and NAU, that would be tough to turn down, it would be basically the old Big Sky reunion. But again, odds are 1,000,000 to 1.

So, in other words, happy to be in FCS :D

dbackjon
May 7th, 2007, 03:46 PM
If it means abandoning the playoff system: NEVER!!!xthumbsupx
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

What Ivy League playoffs?

DunkandDukin
May 7th, 2007, 03:48 PM
I would only say at this point I'd rather be working our way toward being ready if and when the right situation presents itself. ie we've said repeatedly that we are expecting some sort of news come Wednesday evening. I'd LIKE to hear a plan to go to 30k in the next couple years with a possible scenario of further expansion if warranted.

Am I clamoring right now for an announcement of expansion, immediate application to move up etc. No. I'd/we'd certainly miss the natural rivalries we have developed and the CAA is a good home for us. But again, if the right situation presents itself...xwhistlex

Ivytalk
May 7th, 2007, 03:50 PM

What Ivy League playoffs?

It is a minority view. But strongly held!:o

OL FU
May 7th, 2007, 03:53 PM
I have said before I have no problem with fans that want to move on.

But I don't

Mountaineer
May 7th, 2007, 03:53 PM
If lovin' the FCS is wrong, I don't wanna be right. xthumbsupx

dbackjon
May 7th, 2007, 04:10 PM
It is a minority view. But strongly held!:o

We would all welcome the day the IVY League:

1) Joins the Playoffs
2) Eliminates their sham schollies and just gives out real schollies.

bison95
May 7th, 2007, 04:18 PM
I voted yes, I say keep moving the WHOLE University forward!!! Now do I think it can be done in the next 5 years, hell no, but 20 -25 years, why not?

AppGuy04
May 7th, 2007, 04:20 PM
I say neither, I will support them no matter what they choose

OSBF
May 7th, 2007, 04:21 PM
This has been beat to death on our board. I look at it this way, we really have 3 DI divisions, not just 2. BCS, FBS, and FCS. Personally, I don't see much difference between FCS and non BCS FBS except for the fact that you spend a gizillion more $$ and never have the chance to play for a national title of any kind. I'd put the GFC up against the MAC, Sunbelt, or CUSA (except memphis) any day of the week as far as quality of football.

There just aren't any non BCS conferences worth leaving the MVC for. If we could get a football only invite, or get the MVC to have FBS football again, its probably something we could and should do. If not, most of us 'birds are more than happy to be a playoff FCS team on a regular basis.

May 7th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Wasn't there a poll for this a few months ago and FCS won?

89Hen
May 7th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Wasn't there a poll for this a few months ago and FCS won?
Yeah, but I like being on the winning side in a poll so I did it again. :p

crunifan
May 7th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Would I like to see UNI as a FBS school? Absolutely! But only if done correctly.

That means, UNI stays in the MVC, and waits until the Gateway turns into MVC football. Then, have the entire MVC move up together. That is the way it should be done. Have UNI, SIU, Illinois State, Missouri State, and Indiana State all move up together with hopefully Wichita State back by then.

Big dream, but I think all MVC/Gateway fans would love to see this happen.

Mr. C
May 7th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Considering nearly EVERY team that has moved up has seen the move turn out badly (Boise State is about the only exception to the rule, with UConn, Troy State, Nevada-Reno and Marshall having MINOR success at the next level — and Marshall having all sorts of financial trouble with its move and with its other sports), I don't want to see ANY team leave FCS.

NE MT GRIZZ
May 7th, 2007, 04:41 PM
I voted yes, but only if MT went to the WAC.
THe Grizz could compete right away, and renew 3 old rivalries.

Another reason is MT would probably have to add baseball, which is always a good idea.xthumbsupx

FlyYtown
May 7th, 2007, 04:59 PM
YES...
EXPECT THESE IN 5-15 YEARS:
The ones that do it are Appy, Montana, Delaware, JMU, YSU, Texas St; and perhaps McNeese.

FargoBison
May 7th, 2007, 05:15 PM
I voted no but if the Gateway decides to move up I would be all for going along on the ride up. Being where NDSU is that is about the only option we have for a move up.

BearsCountry
May 7th, 2007, 05:20 PM
YES...
The ones that do it are Appy, Montana, Delaware, JMU, YSU, Texas St; and perhaps McNeese.

Add Missouri State to that list, in the 5 to 15 range.

MplsBison
May 7th, 2007, 05:20 PM
NDSU will never be at the level of Big 10 schools.

It's reality and I can accept it.

That said, I feel that the FBS level is too spread out.

You have the BCS schools and the non BCS schools.

There needs to be another level.

NDSU belongs with the Wyomings, the New Mexicos, and the Utah States of the world.

TheBisonator
May 7th, 2007, 05:49 PM
I support NDSU moving to FBS in either of one of these circumstances:

1) The Gateway turns into the Missouri Valley. NDSU joins the Valley for all other sports, and MVC football joins the FBS

2) The year 2020 rolls around (If the above scenario #1 doesn't happen). By that time, we would be a good shot for either the Mountain West, the WAC, or any other conference split from the FBS schools out west.

Until 2020 though, I only support it in the case of Scenario #1.

TheBisonator
May 7th, 2007, 05:51 PM
There needs to be another level.

NDSU belongs with the Wyomings, the New Mexicos, and the Utah States of the world.

I usually don't agree with MplsBison on a lot of things, but I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY with him on this one. NDSU (and SDSU too, actually) belong with the Wyomings, Montana (State)s, Utah States, New Mexico (State)s, Idaho's, etc. of football.

How's this for a hypothetical future conference??

Wyoming
New Mexico State
Utah State
Idaho
North Dakota State
Montana State
South Dakota State
Montana
Nevada

I'd like it a LOT.

(Edited)

dbackjon
May 7th, 2007, 05:57 PM
I usually don't agree with MplsBison on a lot of things, but I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY with him on this one. NDSU (and SDSU too, actually) belong with the Wyomings, Montana (State)s, Utah States, New Mexico (State)s, Idaho's, etc. of football.

How's this for a hypothetical future conference??

Wyoming
New Mexico State
Utah State
Idaho
North Dakota State
New Mexico State
New Mexico
Montana State
South Dakota State
Montana

I'd like it a LOT.

You have New Mexico State listed twice :)

Might make some logical sense, but Wyoming and New Mexico will never give up the MWC voluntarily. And New Mexico will not be in a conference with New Mexico State.

Why leave out UND and USD in your conference?

UncleSam
May 7th, 2007, 06:00 PM
If you can get into a BCS league (highly unlikely) I'd say go FBS, if not, stay FCS.

TheBisonator
May 7th, 2007, 06:07 PM
You have New Mexico State listed twice :)

Might make some logical sense, but Wyoming and New Mexico will never give up the MWC voluntarily. And New Mexico will not be in a conference with New Mexico State.

Why leave out UND and USD in your conference?

Sorry, I meant New Mexico, but I'll probably leave them out of it. I'm gonna add Nevada to the equation, though. This would still be an FBS conference, after all. Utah, New Mexico, Boise State and Colorado State would be awesome in the same conference, IMO.

Also, UND and USD have too long of a ways to go to achieve the attendance numbers needed.

Edited the previous post.

89Hen
May 7th, 2007, 06:09 PM
YES...
You will find very few Hen fans who would agree with you. Take this same poll to gohens.net and it would be about 90/10 in favor of staying FCS. xnodx

Col Hogan
May 7th, 2007, 06:10 PM
In Real Estate, it's location, location, location.

In college football, it's conference, conference, conference.

As others have said, unless it's a BCS conference, FBS is football without a reason, without a championship. Why spend the money if you have 0% chance at a championship...I voted no for my school.

ASUMountaineer
May 7th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Add Missouri State to that list, in the 5 to 15 range.

That will be pushed by your basketball team. Great things happening out there with the hoops.

PSUVikings
May 7th, 2007, 06:21 PM
For football, I don't want PSU going anywhere, not every FCS team can be like Boise State, you could move up and go 0-12 your first 2 years, fan support goes down, look bad, compared to being able to compete for a championship every year no matter what. Even if you do move up, there are ZERO FCS teams that will get into a BCS conference, so you would never see a national championship opportunity ever again.

LeopardFan04
May 7th, 2007, 06:26 PM
I don't think the Big East is calling anytime soon...

BrevardMountaineer03
May 7th, 2007, 08:25 PM
I voted no. ASU might be able to compete with MAC and Sun Belt teams and lower halves of BCS Conferences. They could make a small bowl, but I prefer the playoffs. The SI article about College Playoffs for the FBS was interesting. "The system takes the two best resumes." or something to that effect.
I would love to see ASU on the same stage as Florida, Florida STate, UNC, LSU.etc... but I Love the pagentry of the FCS. Tournament time has a better meaning in late November and Early December!

douglasdmb
May 7th, 2007, 11:06 PM
That will be pushed by your basketball team. Great things happening out there with the hoops.

If you were to say that on our message board, you would get absolutely eaten alive. xnonox

It's cool to be recognized by fans outside of the Valley, so thanks. You guys didn't do so bad yourselves this year. xthumbsupx

GannonFan
May 7th, 2007, 11:12 PM
I voted no just from the standpoint that I don't see the Big East opening up for new additions anytime soon (and I think the ACC is definitely closed). FBS football is kinda silly to play if you're not in the BCS. So if it's then down to low level FBS football and FCS football, I take FCS.

Fresno St. Alum
May 7th, 2007, 11:19 PM
gannonfan, should Boise St. come back to FCS since they are not in a BCS conference? Or if you just mean bcs game than should Fresno St. & BYU go to the FCS?

May 7th, 2007, 11:21 PM
gannonfan, should Boise St. come back to FCS since they are not in a BCS conference? Or if you just mean bcs game than should Fresno St. & BYU go to the FCS?(butting in since this was not a PM) Why not?

Fresno St. Alum
May 7th, 2007, 11:26 PM
The FCS would have a ton of teams, all of the WAC,MWC,C-USA,MAC,Sun Belt, and Army & Navy that would be 54 more teams. Need to expand the playoffs

May 7th, 2007, 11:29 PM
The FCS would have a ton of teams...So that's the reason Boise shouldn't return to the FCS? Of course I don't think Fresno or BYU were ever FCS...

GannonFan
May 7th, 2007, 11:31 PM
gannonfan, should Boise St. come back to FCS since they are not in a BCS conference? Or if you just mean bcs game than should Fresno St. & BYU go to the FCS?

In the short term (i.e. this past year) of course Boise St has done extremely well. But also think about this - Boise had a great season, went undefeated, beat a BCS conference team (although not a great one) in an epic bowl game that will be remembered for quite sometime... and had as much chance to win the National Championship at the FBS level (note Ralph, I did not say an NCAA NC) as their former Big Sky compatriot Montana did, which is to say they had no chance whatsover. But hey, why rain on the parade, Boise was great and had a great season. However, they didn't have a chance for a National Title, nor will they ever as a non-BCS conference team. And without being in a BCS conference (and without being Notre Dame) they will always suffer financially, significantly so, when compared with the BCS teams. Sure, they can put up a great year here and there, but it won't ever be sustained success.

May 7th, 2007, 11:43 PM
... had as much chance to win the National Championship at the FBS level (note Ralph, I did not say an NCAA NC)...[obligatory statement] There is no valid national championship at the FBS level. In the BCS equation there have been coaches who have said they vote politically in an effort to sway the equation so that makes that part a popularity vote at best (see American Idol). There have been press members who have said they vote politically in an effort to sway the equation so that makes that part a popularity vote at best (also see American Idol). So (and gannonfan won't like this) the computer element is really the non-partisan element but the BCS has reduced that to less than half the measure so the result is: A glorified sham. Without a playoff the BCS is what it is...

NOT AN FBS NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP BUT A BCS CHAMPIONSHIP.

Call it what it is.[end obligatory statement]

Fresno St. Alum
May 7th, 2007, 11:49 PM
there is not enough money/exposure in FCS to get the non-bcs schools to join. That's why schools like Texas St. want to move up. I really think the head guys know that they will probably be more like a M.Tenn. St. than a Boise St. I think that the TSU people think they are pulling one over on the fans.

Fresno St. Alum
May 7th, 2007, 11:51 PM
[obligatory statement] There is no valid national championship at the FBS level. In the BCS equation there have been coaches who have said they vote politically in an effort to sway the equation so that makes that part a popularity vote at best (see American Idol). There have been press members who have said they vote politically in an effort to sway the equation so that makes that part a popularity vote at best (also see American Idol). So (and gannonfan won't like this) the computer element is really the non-partisan element but the BCS has reduced that to less than half the measure so the result is: A glorified sham. Without a playoff the BCS is what it is...

That's why they(FBS) get a crystal sears ball and not the wood & gold plaque.

aggie6thman
May 7th, 2007, 11:53 PM
I voted yes because FCS football on the West Coast makes it especially hard to survive, especially when the BSC doesn't want you.

Fresno St. Alum
May 7th, 2007, 11:56 PM
Aggie, I'll see you guys in the WAC someday.

May 8th, 2007, 12:08 AM
Not a surprise to see which members are voting no:

Missouri St.: BearsCountry, douglasdmb,
NDSU: Bh2oson, Bison05, bison95, TheBisonator, NDSUFREAK,
ASU: BigApp, phillyAPP, Bh2oson
CCU: CCU97, rokamortis,
YSU: FlyYtown, GoGuins,
JMU: jmufootball2, rufus, th0m,
Montana: elkmcc, NE MT GRIZZ, Ronbo,
UCA: UCABEAR
UCD: ucdtim17, aggie6thman
NAU: Jackluv
GaSouthern: JDC325
UMass: Maroon&White
Jackson St: PrinceofJSU
FBS member: Fresno St. Alum
bigd ???
gmoney55 ???

May 8th, 2007, 12:09 AM
That's why they(FBS) get a crystal sears ball and not the wood & gold plaque.Yep, real championship wishes and crystal ball dreams. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Don't you have an FBS board to attend to? xlolx

Fresno St. Alum
May 8th, 2007, 12:10 AM
I don't really think my vote should count because my school is already FBS, but I wanted to see the other votes. We votes yes not no.

Fresno St. Alum
May 8th, 2007, 12:11 AM
I was mocking the sears ball, you just like to take shots at me. pretty lame

May 8th, 2007, 12:13 AM
I was mocking the sears ball, you just like to take shots at me. pretty lameWhat is pretty lame is calling names. The shots are clearly at the fake crap the BCS rolls out every year.

Fresno St. Alum
May 8th, 2007, 12:14 AM
calling names?

May 8th, 2007, 12:14 AM
I don't really think my vote should count because my school is already FBS, but I wanted to see the other votes. We votes yes not no.BTW you don't have to vote to see the tally.

May 8th, 2007, 12:16 AM
calling names?take it to PM... what you posted publicly:
"you just like to take shots at me. pretty lame"

Fresno St. Alum
May 8th, 2007, 12:16 AM
oh well already voted.

Fresno St. Alum
May 8th, 2007, 12:18 AM
fbs board to attend to. jumping to conclusions about the sears ball. you posted all that crap before I said what I said

May 8th, 2007, 12:21 AM
fbs board to attend to. jumping to conclusions about the sears ball. you posted all that crap before I said what I saidare you aware you have a PM feature to use? I posted no "crap." Done with this now.

Fresno St. Alum
May 8th, 2007, 12:24 AM
are you aware you have a PM feature to use? I posted no "crap." Done with this now.
neither did I, read your pm

Mr. C
May 8th, 2007, 12:25 AM
That's why they(FBS) get a crystal sears ball and not the wood & gold plaque.
Just so you know, EVERY NCAA champion in EVERY sport gets the same type of trophy, whether it be Division I, II or III. The BCS is not an NCAA event and the crystal Sears Ball is not an NCAA trophy. When our Fresno State softball team won the NCAA championship a few years ago, the ladies got the same type wood and gold trophy that Appalachian State has won the past two years. Nothing at all wrong with that.

aggie6thman
May 8th, 2007, 12:26 AM
bigd is a UC Davis fan. I love FCS football, but some schools have to look at reality. If we were on the East Coast, it would be completely different. Look at the map that LehighNation? put together. The BSC and GWFC are the only true Western conferences. One is beginning to pull apart at the seams and the other doesn't want to add us. The writing is on the wall.

Fresno St. Alum
May 8th, 2007, 12:26 AM
yup, because the plaque is real and the sears ball is fake

aggie6thman
May 8th, 2007, 12:33 AM
yup, because the plaque is real and the sears ball is fake

It is no longer the Sears ball, the BCS trophy is now the ADT trophy.

May 8th, 2007, 12:35 AM
... Look at the map that LehighNation? put together...This is the map I put together:

Fresno St. Alum
May 8th, 2007, 12:38 AM
It is no longer the Sears ball, the BCS trophy is now the ADT trophy.
well whatever name the glass ball is now. ADT ball

aggie6thman
May 8th, 2007, 12:42 AM
This is the map I put together:

Thank you, it helps to prove my point.

aggie6thman
May 8th, 2007, 12:42 AM
Ralph, were you just going through the posts to see who voted in what way, or is there a way to see how each member voted?

May 8th, 2007, 12:45 AM
Thank you, it helps to prove my point.What is the point about CA teams dropping football? JUCO is big there, losing tons of money in FBS is big there, BCS is big there... what?

May 8th, 2007, 12:46 AM
Ralph, were you just going through the posts to see who voted in what way, or is there a way to see how each member voted?In polls where it says the member votes are visable just click on the numbers and it lists who voted what.

aggie6thman
May 8th, 2007, 12:49 AM
What is the point about CA teams dropping football? JUCO is big there, losing tons of money in FBS is big there, BCS is big there... what?

It shows that FCS teams in California will be extinct because the GWFC is tearing apart, the Big Sky doesn't want to add us and the Pioneer is not an option. We can't survive in the Great West forever.

What is so bad about wanting to move up? xsmhx

Fresno St. Alum
May 8th, 2007, 12:51 AM
you GWFC people need some more western D-II move ups but the D-II's can't find an all sports conference out west so they don't want to move up

May 8th, 2007, 12:56 AM
It shows that FCS teams in California will be extinct because the GWFC is tearing apart, the Big Sky doesn't want to add us and the Pioneer is not an option. We can't survive in the Great West forever. What is so bad about wanting to move up? xsmhxNever said it is bad (as long as ya don't bleed money at the expense of students and alumni for the sake of appearing superior), said dropping football is though. The GWFC is not bad or tearing apart (just morphing), in fact it is very very good for UCD's situation. BSC doesn't fit UCD anyway and why you think PFL is beyond me.

aggie6thman
May 8th, 2007, 01:01 AM
Never said it is bad (as long as ya don't bleed money at the expense of students and alumni for the sake of appearing superior), said dropping football is though. The GWFC is not bad or tearing apart (just morphing), in fact it is very very good for UCD's situation. BSC doesn't fit UCD anyway and why you think PFL is beyond me.

I was using the Big Sky and Pioneer as examples of the only other two Western FCS conferences. Moving up to FCS isn't an act of being superior, if anything it is a humbling experience. The Great West is great for us now, but 10-15 years down the road, the answer to that might change a lot.

I don't think that the GWFC is bad, but we can't keep waiting for teams to make the jump to a more permanent, all-sports conferences. That is the problem of the GWFC. The Big Sky and Gateway both offer its members to have all their teams play in the same conference, how can we compete with that?

Fresno St. Alum
May 8th, 2007, 01:03 AM
The PFL isn't really a western conference USD is the only western team in the conference.

May 8th, 2007, 01:38 AM
... I don't think that the GWFC is bad, but we can't keep waiting for teams to make the jump to a more permanent, all-sports conferences. That is the problem of the GWFC. The Big Sky and Gateway both offer its members to have all their teams play in the same conference, how can we compete with that?GFC and GWFC are the same in the respect that they are football only conferences.

aggie6thman
May 8th, 2007, 01:57 AM
GFC and GWFC are the same in the respect that they are football only conferences.

My bad, I missed the boat on that one.:o

But do you understand where I am coming from Ralph?

May 8th, 2007, 03:18 AM
My bad, I missed the boat on that one.:o But do you understand where I am coming from Ralph?I do, just want to be in the best interests... ya know?

aggie6thman
May 8th, 2007, 03:30 AM
I do, just want to be in the best interests... ya know?

I agree. Let me clarify my position, I don't think we will go FBS in the near future (10 years or so), but I do believe that we will end up in there one day.

bluehenbillk
May 8th, 2007, 06:47 AM
Without reading this whole thread I think I'd probably say the same thing as most Hen or 1-AA school fans. If a BCS conference had an opening then sure I'd do it, for UD the Big East, maybe the ACC. However, to move up as an Indy, the MAC or C-USA, no thanks.

GannonFan
May 8th, 2007, 08:18 AM
[obligatory statement] There is no valid national championship at the FBS level. In the BCS equation there have been coaches who have said they vote politically in an effort to sway the equation so that makes that part a popularity vote at best (see American Idol). There have been press members who have said they vote politically in an effort to sway the equation so that makes that part a popularity vote at best (also see American Idol). So (and gannonfan won't like this) the computer element is really the non-partisan element but the BCS has reduced that to less than half the measure so the result is: A glorified sham. Without a playoff the BCS is what it is...

Prior to the development of playoff systems in the 1970's for the lower divisions, national champions were always declared. Of course, they were done via polls by humans, but they are still considered national champions. I agree, only a BCS team (from a BCS conference) can win the FBS National Championship, but it's still a National Championship whichever way you cut it. Saying it's not is like saying there were no National Champions ever at that level. Polls are flawed, and therefore the National Championship may be flawed, but it is real.

PSUVikings
May 8th, 2007, 08:57 AM
I'm trying to figure out why we argue about what championship is real, FBS's or FCS's? Does it matter? In the end you put each other on the frontlines and the FBS would torch us, give me a break

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 8th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Ironic that the cross hairs on Ralph's map appear to be at Huntington, WV! (That would be the home of Marshall.) :p

Looking at that same map, I think I see 11 scholly schools "out West":

Eastern Washington
Sacramento State
UC Davis
Cal Poly
Northern Arizona
Southern Utah
Montana
Montana St.
Northern Colorado
Idaho State
Weber State

Would Davis and Poly be willing to go all sports in that conference to "protect" football? There would be ten league games which would facilitate scheduling, right? Looks like a viable solution. If twelve teams are needed for other sports, then invite Denver from the Sun Belch. Looks like a great travel partner for Northern Colorado. If you want twelve football schools then get San Diego to upgrade or another Cali school to bring back football.

Sorry, this is probably a thread hijack! Feel free to start another thread if there is enough interest in discussing the proposal.

Fresno St. Alum
May 8th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Ironic that the cross hairs on Ralph's map appear to be at Huntington, WV! (That would be the home of Marshall.) :p

Eastern Washington
Sacramento State
UC Davis
Cal Poly
Northern Arizona
Southern Utah
Montana
Montana St.
Northern Colorado
Idaho State
Weber State

Would Davis and Poly be willing to go all sports in that conference to "protect" football? There would be ten league games which would facilitate scheduling, right? Looks like a viable solution. If twelve teams are needed for other sports, then invite Denver from the Sun Belch. Looks like a great travel partner for Northern Colorado. If you want twelve football schools then get San Diego to upgrade or another Cali school to bring back football.

Sorry, this is probably a thread hijack! Feel free to start another thread if there is enough interest in discussing the proposal.

CP is too far south to leave the Big west in my mind. UCD is right next to Sac St. in northern cali. It seems doable but I don't think the heads of the school would go in that direction, but you never know.

May 8th, 2007, 12:45 PM
... it's still a National Championship...Yes, like I said there is no valid national championship at the FBS level. It's a BCS Championship... not an FBS National Championship.

Tod
May 8th, 2007, 12:49 PM

Eastern Washington
Sacramento State
UC Davis
Cal Poly
Northern Arizona
Southern Utah
Montana
Montana St.
Northern Colorado
Idaho State
Weber State

The Big Sky doesn't have baseball, either, and I'm assuming some women's sport(s) that make up the difference in schollies, probably softball.

I just wish the Big Sky would allow then in as football only members. Heck bring in UND and USD too for football only, two divisions. Still room for more, too.

Admittedly, I haven't thought this out entirely. :p

GannonFan
May 8th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Yes, like I said there is no valid national championship at the FBS level. It's a BCS Championship... not an FBS National Championship.

The thing is, the FBS people consider it to be valid. We may not like it and think it isn't perfect, but they appear to be quite happy keeping it the way it is.

Fresno St. Alum
May 8th, 2007, 12:52 PM
The thing is, the FBS people consider it to be valid. We may not like it and think it isn't perfect, but they appear to be quite happy keeping it the way it is.
not me, I want fbs playoffs

Fresno St. Alum
May 8th, 2007, 12:53 PM
The Big Sky doesn't have baseball, either, and I'm assuming some women's sport(s) that make up the difference in schollies, probably softball.

I just wish the Big Sky would allow then in as football only members. Heck bring in UND and USD too for football only, two divisions. Still room for more, too.

Admittedly, I haven't thought this out entirely. :p
Tod no CP in your football only Big Skyxsmhx

May 8th, 2007, 12:54 PM
The thing is, the FBS people consider it to be valid. We may not like it and think it isn't perfect, but they appear to be quite happy keeping it the way it is.FBS is an NCAA classification. You mean the BCS people. I am not arguing any point other than my obligatory statement. The NIT is a championship too.

ucdtim17
May 8th, 2007, 12:56 PM
UCD and CP are not leaving the Big West for the Big Sky. End of discussion.

Football-only would be great, but the BSC doesn't allow that (or want it)

Fresno St. Alum
May 8th, 2007, 01:00 PM
If Stony Brook can be in the Big South I don't know why the Sky won't allow it. ucdtim, is right they don't, maybe they want everyone to play everyone else every year. adding the 3 would make 2-3 schools not play every eachother every year.

ucdtim17
May 8th, 2007, 01:10 PM
There's no possible reason they'd want to add us, other than charity. The BSC is not a charity.

Fresno St. Alum
May 8th, 2007, 01:16 PM
for football only UCD and CP would boost the Sky's conference rating

ucdtim17
May 8th, 2007, 01:42 PM
I doubt that's a practical, concrete enough reason to want to add us. I don't think the lower half of the conference wants to add tougher games to their conference schedule.

Fresno St. Alum
May 8th, 2007, 02:07 PM
I doubt that's a practical, concrete enough reason to want to add us. I don't think the lower half of the conference wants to add tougher games to their conference schedule.
you're probably right and that's too bad.

813Jag
May 8th, 2007, 02:58 PM
I hope and pray the phrase moving up to FBS never is heard at Southern University. I don't think we'll ever be able to make that move.xnonono2x xnonono2x