PDA

View Full Version : Colgate Football

FUGameBreaker
September 28th, 2019, 07:27 PM
Are they one of the most preseason overrated FCS teams ever?

Preseason #13, now they will be 0-5

Has a preseason top 13 team ever started the season 0-5?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 28th, 2019, 07:30 PM

Has a preseason top 13 team ever started the season 0-5?

Lehigh was preseason #17 in 2017 iirc and started 0-5. Still won the PL and went to the playoffs. They at least had a really good offense. Colgate stinks on both sides of the ball.

As it is, both were equally embarrassing. Colgate's last 6 losses have all been by double-digits. They're not even competitive....

bonarae
September 28th, 2019, 07:33 PM
Yes. Could you guys think of a higher ranking preseason team that started worse? xchinscratchx

FUGameBreaker
September 28th, 2019, 07:34 PM
Lehigh was preseason #17 in 2017 iirc and started 0-5. Still won the PL and went to the playoffs. They at least had a really good offense. Colgate stinks on both sides of the ball.

As it is, both were equally embarrassing. Colgate's last 6 losses have all been by double-digits. They're not even competitive....

That's a good comparison, and yes Colgate has been getting killed

FUGameBreaker
September 28th, 2019, 10:37 PM
Yes. Could you guys think of a higher ranking preseason team that started worse? xchinscratchx

I certainly can't off the top of my head

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 28th, 2019, 10:46 PM
I certainly can't off the top of my head

I've been thinking too. Can't come up with anyone.

uni88
September 28th, 2019, 11:18 PM

Has a preseason top 13 team ever started the season 0-5?Why do you ask?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

MTfan4life
September 28th, 2019, 11:38 PM
It's not like they're losing to the sisters of the poor, though. Villanova, Air Force, William & Mary, Maine, and Dartmouth.

They do look terrible, though, but in my opinion, this was expected. That's why preseason polls are trash. Just based on last season. Completely ignoring the fact they were entirely senior-laden last year, especially their vaunted defense. It's not like NDSU where they always have solid players waiting in the wings.

MTfan4life
September 28th, 2019, 11:45 PM
Eastern Washington in 2011 probably should be mentioned in this discussion. Coming off a national title, I'm sure they were #1 the first week or two. Then they subsequently started 0-4 losing close to FBS Washington by 3, upset loss @ South Dakota, then two straight to the Montana schools.

FUGameBreaker
September 30th, 2019, 10:18 PM
Why do you ask?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Just trying to find out who the most overrated team in preseason history might be, guess they could still win the Patriot, but they have looked horrendous

uni88
September 30th, 2019, 10:50 PM
Just trying to find out who the most overrated team in preseason history might be, guess they could still win the Patriot, but they have looked horrendous

So your bitterness over Colgate cancelling the 2018 game and Furman finishing the season with only 6 wins and barely missing the playoffs has nothing to do with it?

FUGameBreaker
September 30th, 2019, 11:03 PM
So your bitterness over Colgate cancelling the 2018 game and Furman finishing the season with only 6 wins and barely missing the playoffs has nothing to do with it?

Certainly has nothing to do with Colgate getting blown out for their last 6 straight games xsmiley_wix

uni88
September 30th, 2019, 11:21 PM
Certainly has nothing to do with Colgate getting blown out for their last 6 straight games xsmiley_wix

But that isn't the question I asked. The salt from your tears could turn Greenville into Carthage. xsmiley_wix

FUGameBreaker
October 1st, 2019, 05:27 AM
But that isn't the question I asked. The salt from your tears could turn Greenville into Carthage. xsmiley_wix

Don't hijack the subject matter, I know I am kinda interesting but not everything is about me lol xpopcornx

Lehigh Football Nation
October 1st, 2019, 11:16 AM
I thought Colgate would start out 1-4 at best. They had a lot more to replace than people realized. But I still picked them to win the Patriot League.

Gangtackle11
October 1st, 2019, 11:32 AM
Good chance Colgate wins the PL & goes to the playoffs. xpeacex

FUGameBreaker
October 1st, 2019, 11:37 AM
Good chance Colgate wins the PL & goes to the playoffs. xpeacex

Last year they had some defense, in their past 6 games they have had neither offense or defense at all

Mocs123
October 1st, 2019, 11:53 AM
Unfortunately, I'd have to add the 2017 12th ranked Chattanooga Mocs into the mix. We'd had several good years and finished around the top 10 the previous 3 years. We ended up finishing 3-8. We had issues that year, not all of them related to new coach Tom Arth, but I'm glad he's Akron's problem now.

JacksFan40
October 1st, 2019, 11:57 AM
It's not like they're losing to the sisters of the poor, though. Villanova, Air Force, William & Mary, Maine, and Dartmouth.

They do look terrible, though, but in my opinion, this was expected. That's why preseason polls are trash. Just based on last season. Completely ignoring the fact they were entirely senior-laden last year, especially their vaunted defense. It's not like NDSU where they always have solid players waiting in the wings.
NDSU is not a fair comparison, they’re the FCS Alabama at this point. It’s just a factory there, always great year in and year out.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 1st, 2019, 01:52 PM
I thought Colgate would start out 1-4 at best. They had a lot more to replace than people realized. But I still picked them to win the Patriot League.

Did you have them in the Top 25 to start the year? A preseason Top 25 should never start out 1-4 or 0-5 against a tough but not absurd schedule. W&M and Maine are not world beaters this year and a legitimately good PL team should not lose by 30+ to Dartmouth. The fact that Colgate hasn't been competitive is alarming. A well coached team with the individual talent Colgate coming back (especially in the trenches) should be MUCH better. I think everyone knew they would take a step back but not to this level.

Colgate "prides" themselves on playing really tough OOC schedules. They also prefer to play most of those games on the road so they don't get a pass. This is what they aspire to knowing full well their limitations within the PL. They traded a home game against Cal Poly next year for a roadie against FBS Western Michigan. Playing a Big Sky game at home wasn't a big enough challenge for the Raiders. They cancelled a game against Bryant in 2016 because they felt the Bulldogs were "beneath them" and a 10 game schedule would be better. They wanted a second FBS game in 2020 to REALLY test their players and give them the FBS Waldo Stadium experience. Maybe they'll be able to turn it around and notch their first FBS since since 2003 next season? Hunt is 12-28 (lots of blowout losses) against OOC opponents since he took over in 2014 so the odds certainly don't favor it. Outside of their game against Army last year their FBS games have not been competitive.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 1st, 2019, 02:23 PM
a legitimately good PL team should not lose by 30+ to Dartmouth

There are a lot of FCS teams that would lose to Dartmouth.

I looked back and I had Colgate in my preseason Top 25 at No. 24. I also picked them to lose to Villanova in Week 0. I also had Eastern Washington at No. 3, which I would argue was a much more precipitous fall than Colgate.

Mayville Bison
October 1st, 2019, 03:11 PM
Since 2004, Colgate has actually gained as much or more places from the preseason AGS poll to the final AGS poll than all but 4 teams (Harvard, Weber, Southern Utah, and Princeton). This year is definitely gonna hurt.

2004 Started #7 finished unranked (-19)
2008 Started unranked finished #18 (+8)
2009 Started unranked finished #22 (+4)
2012 Started unranked finished #21 (+5)
2015 Started unranked finished #13 (+13)
2016 Started #20 finished unranked (-6)
2018 Started unranked finished #8 (+18)

So, every time they start out ranked, they tank?

FUGameBreaker
October 1st, 2019, 03:14 PM
Since 2004, Colgate has actually gained as much or more places from the preseason AGS poll to the final AGS poll than all but 4 teams (Harvard, Weber, Southern Utah, and Princeton). This year is definitely gonna hurt.

Interesting find

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 1st, 2019, 03:26 PM

I bet Lehigh's and Fordham's ranked/unranked history is "similar".

PL and IL schools don't enter seasons highly ranked, if ranked at all, very often. As a result it's a lot easier to ascend than it is to flame out. Whoever wins those leagues most years (unless they finish below .500) will get a token final ranking in the Top 25.

Dick Biddle's Colgate teams '04-'12 were more steady than the Raiders have been under Hunt (since '14). The fact Colgate has yet to finish ranked when starting the season ranked is definitely less than ideal.

Colgate's a really good program. They and Lehigh have really carried the torch for the PL the last 20-25 years. Unfortunately, neither one is able to sustain success the last 4-5 years.

Mayville Bison
October 1st, 2019, 03:36 PM

PL and IL schools don't enter seasons highly ranked, if ranked at all, very often. As a result it's a lot easier to ascend than it is to flame out. Whoever wins those leagues most years (unless they finish below .500) will get a token final ranking in the Top 25.

Dick Biddle's Colgate teams '04-'12 were more steady than the Raiders have been under Hunt (since '14). The fact Colgate has yet to finish ranked when starting the season ranked is definitely less than ideal.

Colgate's a really good program. They and Lehigh have really carried the torch for the PL the last 20-25 years. Unfortunately, neither one is able to sustain success the last 4-5 years.

Fordham has dropped 4 times and increased 3 times with their biggest gain being 2013 putting them overall tied for 19th (out of 96 teams that were either on the pre- or post-season poll during that span). Other teams they are tied with are Jacksonville St and SC St.

Lehigh was on 9 times increasing 4 times and dropping 5 times. Overall, they are tied for 64th. Other teams they are tied with are Southern and Texas St.

KPSUL
October 2nd, 2019, 04:11 PM

I'd be interested to hear from PL fans how much they think this inconsistency between pre-season and post-season rankings is due to the no red-shirting league rule? Among other advantages, red-shirting allows a team to spread out talent from good recruiting years to help cover positions that may suffer too much attrition, or maybe just bad recruiting years.

RichH2
October 2nd, 2019, 06:42 PM
I'd be interested to hear from PL fans how much they think this inconsistency between pre-season and post-season rankings is due to the no red-shirting league rule? Among other advantages, red-shirting allows a team to spread out talent from good recruiting years to help cover positions that may suffer too much attrition, or maybe just bad recruiting years.
The current cycle not comparable to preschollie glory years.
Under all the current PL restrictions, a Head coach is a virtually untenable position to maintain a roster much less a consistent program. Coaches have absolutely no leeway with recruiting mistakes. A few bad choices a couple of injuries and you quickly run out of options for next man up.
Cant speak as to other teams but Lehigh has been in that position frequently of late. Last year and this year's on the OL have been debilitating. Add in a starting WR and a rising soph WR both quit. Unforeseen certainly but a reality for our HC. Gilmore brought in 35 frosh. A lot of elite talent. Plus a lot of bodies to fill out the roster
partially.
Redshirting would certainly be a huge help but not really viable until PL repeals the roster and schollie caps.

DFW HOYA
October 2nd, 2019, 09:01 PM
Redshirting would certainly be a huge help but not really viable until PL repeals the roster and schollie caps.

And what if that doesn't work?

The PL model is showing cracks because the model doesn't work anymore. The Ivy recruits that the PL won in the past are now back in the Ivy, while the NEC has raised its game in a big way. Even the fringe of the Big South offers opportunities to recruits that the PL of the old never had to face.

The talent level across the AI bands just isn't as deep whether they're getting a check from financial aid or the athletic department. The next Dominic Randolph isn't going to Holy Cross because he's got opportunities elsewhere. The next Nate Eachus probably doesn't fall to Colgate and is sitting on an Ivy League roster instead. The next Marko Glavic isn't even considering Lafayette.

The PL doesn't need to repeal the roster cap, it needs to repeal the talent cap.

-

Sader87
October 2nd, 2019, 10:45 PM
HC is recruiting well undah Chesney, but the lack of red-shirting (unless medical) and other PL restrictions will keep the PL below the CAA overall

PAllen
October 3rd, 2019, 02:40 AM

The PL model is showing cracks because the model doesn't work anymore. The Ivy recruits that the PL won in the past are now back in the Ivy, while the NEC has raised its game in a big way. Even the fringe of the Big South offers opportunities to recruits that the PL of the old never had to face.

The talent level across the AI bands just isn't as deep whether they're getting a check from financial aid or the athletic department. The next Dominic Randolph isn't going to Holy Cross because he's got opportunities elsewhere. The next Nate Eachus probably doesn't fall to Colgate and is sitting on an Ivy League roster instead. The next Marko Glavic isn't even considering Lafayette.

The PL doesn't need to repeal the roster cap, it needs to repeal the talent cap.

-

Recruiting kids who can't read isn't the answer.

DFW HOYA
October 3rd, 2019, 05:51 AM
Recruiting kids who can't read isn't the answer.

Wow, what a dropoff from the PL recruit list...be sure to tell that to Villanova and Richmond.

RichH2
October 3rd, 2019, 09:32 AM

-

Mostly agree. As I've said , the niche the PL had back then no longer exists.The CAA expanded. The NEC expanded and increased schollies essentially to NCAA max. The Ivies amped its already substantial recruiting . I dont agree that we are losing more prospects to the Ivies. Actually we win more H2H with them now. We still lose more than we win.
Repeal the talent gap. Yup that is the goal. Our main competitors now for recruits are tha low FBS, specifically the MAC, the Academies, CAA, the Ivies and the NEC. Roughly in that order. How?

Up to PL to even the playing field by modifying current restrictions.
Allow 63 schollies. Adding 3 may seem a minor step but it will add 3-6 players that have more potential to produce for the program than WOs. The option now is recruited PWOs PWOs, whose aid counts vs the schollie cap, and unrecruited WOs, whose aid does not count vs PL or NCAA caps.NCAA has a specific definition of "recruited"which allows communication but no personal contact.
Redshirting.
PL ban is a holdover from our Ivy Lite inception. Currently most of the teams we face OOC field redshirted players. The NEC in particular. Even allowing a limited number of redshirts each year will help to make our teams more competitive.
Roster cap.
More relevant for Hoyas I believe not giving athletic scholarships. Removing this cap still a plus for all of us. The one available option to increase roster size is unrecruited WOs. More of a crap shoot admittedly but these players can fill out our rosters in greater numbers and with any luck you might find a few gems. Lehigh has one on its 2 deep now.
PL is now recruiting more and getting better players. The problem us not getting enough of them to keep pace with the conferences we play. Alleviating the restrictions will not be a magic wand. It will give our coaches more tools to recruit with. Up to each to best utilize them.

Sader87
October 3rd, 2019, 10:55 AM
Well put Rich....even though it is the PL, it's not rocket science diagnosing the problem. :)

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 3rd, 2019, 11:20 AM
Well put Rich....even though it is the PL, it's not rocket science diagnosing the problem. :)

The 3 major issues are known. It's up the league office to step up and allow these programs to succeed at a high level.

Until that happens, still can pay assistants, attract a few quality transfers and hire the best people possible.

RichH2
October 3rd, 2019, 11:34 AM
The 3 major issues are known. It's up the league office to step up and allow these programs to succeed at a high level.

Until that happens, still can pay assistants, attract a few quality transfers and hire the best people possible.

Absolutely. Ultimately recruiting relies on the ability of coaches to evaluate and identify prospects and get them. If you dont recruit well, easing PL restrictions will not help your program.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 3rd, 2019, 11:41 AM
The option now is recruited PWOs PWOs, whose aid counts vs the schollie cap, and unrecruited WOs, whose aid does not count vs PL or NCAA caps.NCAA has a specific definition of "recruited"which allows communication but no personal contact.

Understanding this is key to understanding why the Ivy League have now become, at the top level, FBS programs.

The service academies have a very delicate dance as to their "recruited athletes" that try to tiptoe around the NCAA definition. For the service academies, it is because they have a model where they cannot admit potential athletes that can't make their way through their strict admissions. They also have a model where the US taxpayer pays for the admission of its students. So they have to go through a complicated process so that they have enough athletes to field teams, but don't exceed the number of "recruited athletes" that is defined by the NCAA. It boils down to mentioning athletics during visits, etc. This is how the Academies are able to have rosters of 100+ football players, all on scholarship, without violating NCAA rules.

In FBS, these rules are really not an issue because of the unique requirements and commitments of service academy life. Few athletes are going to actively pursue a pro career through this method when two of their prime earning athletic years are spent in service.

Somewhere over the last few years, the Ivies have adopted the exact same model to recruitment. Many of the top schools like Harvard, Yale and Princeton effectively scholarship a very big hunk of their student body. They can get around the recruited athlete rules the same way it's done at Army, Navy, AFA - but with two key differences. They don't have a service requirement, and they don't play postseason football.

Add to this the Ivy League's reshirting hypocrisy (has anyone filed a missing persons report for Harvard RB Aaron Shampklin?) the top level of the Ivy League are basically FBS schools. They are much more similar now in almost every way to Army, Navy, and AFA than Lehigh, Lafayette, Colgate and (chuckle) San Diego. The expansion of these three schools' recruiting from 15 a year to 30 a year has had a very bad effect on the Patriot League overall.

Remise
October 3rd, 2019, 11:44 AM
As an irrelevant aside, I love that allusion. Colgate delenda, ah, was..... (and I speak as an alum). I would have expected, at worst, one victory out of those five games, maybe two. In fairness to the Colgate offense, at least, they lost their very good QB on the first series of the first game of the season. Then #2 went down, and we are starting with a #3 quarterback and a group of wide receivers who scarcely recorded a completion among them last season, as well as two running backs who do their best behind an offensive line that is not performing as expected.

And don't even mention the defense. I said not to mention the defense!

RichH2
October 3rd, 2019, 12:22 PM
Sorry Remise but Gate D is the issue . A stud at each level of the D. But not much else so far. To be fair Gate has played a very aggressive OOC. Part of the issue was Brenerman's absence . Assume he will play on Saturday.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 3rd, 2019, 12:56 PM
Sorry Remise but Gate D is the issue . A stud at each level of the D. But not much else so far. To be fair Gate has played a very aggressive OOC. Part of the issue was Brenerman's absence . Assume he will play on Saturday.

Breneman's absence has hurt but they've been here before without him. When you run the type of offense they do the QB is going to take a lot of shots. The WR's have very little explosive ability and there's no Holland at RB. There's still a lot of really good individual players that simply haven't stepped up. They staff has not done a good job getting the most out of what they got. That's why they haven't been so much as competitive. With guys likes Wheeler, Daramy-Swaray, Ioanilli, Breneman around the backbone is there. Now that league play has started I think they'll be ok but I doubt they return to the playoffs.

Gater
October 3rd, 2019, 04:03 PM
Breneman's absence has hurt but they've been here before without him. When you run the type of offense they do the QB is going to take a lot of shots. The WR's have very little explosive ability and there's no Holland at RB. There's still a lot of really good individual players that simply haven't stepped up. They staff has not done a good job getting the most out of what they got. That's why they haven't been so much as competitive. With guys likes Wheeler, Daramy-Swaray, Ioanilli, Breneman around the backbone is there. Now that league play has started I think they'll be ok but I doubt they return to the playoffs.

Temple fan loves to blast Hunt. Colgate has made the final eight of the playoffs two out of the last four years with all of the same restrictions that every other PL team has. Hunt must be doing something right. This year's team is young and inexperienced. They have lost the #1 and #2 QB's. The #1 RB. #1 center--that's a tough place to start. Other guys on OL banged up. Two of the top three DE's out. Two starting safeties. (With one coming back last week.) Plus, a lot of depth out--a lot of #2's on a young team. You can talk about guys needing to step up and every other football cliche out there but this is a young team that got pretty banged up and that's a tough combo.

As for PL restrictions, Hunt talked about that a bit after the Dartmouth game. Dartmouth has 110 guys on the roster. A lot of the Ivies are free for kids whose parents doing make under 80-120k--and the parents of kids making a lot of money want them going there no matter what the cost. That means you basically have unlimited scholarships. That means Dartmouth can have a lot of very good players, or at the very least have the opportunity to develop guys into good players because the odds are better with that many on the roster.

In general, things have to line up for PL teams to do well. They did for Colgate last year. They haven't this year. The PL has fewer scholarship and smaller rosters than the Ivies and everybody else and are hamstringing themselves, unnecessarily. Hopefully, the league allows redshirts and bigger rosters. Winning is good for schools. The PL would benefit from having schools winning national championships. Hopefully, they see how the Ivies have played them (again) and make the necessary changes.

wapiti
October 3rd, 2019, 04:07 PM
Was there a preseason poll in 1985??

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 3rd, 2019, 04:22 PM
Temple fan loves to blast Hunt. Colgate has made the final eight of the playoffs two out of the last four years with all of the same restrictions that every other PL team has. Hunt must be doing something right. This year's team is young and inexperienced. They have lost the #1 and #2 QB's. The #1 RB. #1 center--that's a tough place to start. Other guys on OL banged up. Two of the top three DE's out. Two starting safeties. (With one coming back last week.) Plus, a lot of depth out--a lot of #2's on a young team. You can talk about guys needing to step up and every other football cliche out there but this is a young team that got pretty banged up and that's a tough combo.

As for PL restrictions, Hunt talked about that a bit after the Dartmouth game. Dartmouth has 110 guys on the roster. A lot of the Ivies are free for kids whose parents doing make under 80-120k--and the parents of kids making a lot of money want them going there no matter what the cost. That means you basically have unlimited scholarships. That means Dartmouth can have a lot of very good players, or at the very least have the opportunity to develop guys into good players because the odds are better with that many on the roster.

In general, things have to line up for PL teams to do well. They did for Colgate last year. They haven't this year. The PL has fewer scholarship and smaller rosters than the Ivies and everybody else and are hamstringing themselves, unnecessarily. Hopefully, the league allows redshirts and bigger rosters. Winning is good for schools. The PL would benefit from having schools winning national championships. Hopefully, they see how the Ivies have played them (again) and make the necessary changes.

I just point out his OOC record is awful, which it is. He's done well building momentum by feasting on a weak PL later in the season a few times. Last year's team was damn good no question. It helps to re-establish a good barometer. I do wish they had more competition in the regular season. Hunt is a good, solid coach but he's not at a Moorhead/Biddle/Higgins/Clawson level type guy. His teams get blown out WAY too much and there's clearly a lack of consistency. I also think there's a correlation between him taking over the offense and it getting really bad. Offense is not his thing. He should have hired an experienced OC.

Colgate and Lehigh both need to be better. We know their ceilings. I get the obstacles but these bottoming out periods shouldn't be THIS bad. Some one needs to step up.

Son of Eli
October 3rd, 2019, 06:53 PM
. Hopefully, they see how the Ivies have played them (again) and make the necessary changes.

How did the Ivy League “play” the Patriot League? You followed Fordham off a cliff, much to the Ivy League’s chagrin. Georgetown is the only one that continued to follow the Ivy model. Now instead of being perpetually in last place Georgetown is one of the best teams in the league.

DFW HOYA
October 3rd, 2019, 07:21 PM
How did the Ivy League “play” the Patriot League? You followed Fordham off a cliff, much to the Ivy League’s chagrin. Georgetown is the only one that continued to follow the Ivy model. Now instead of being perpetually in last place Georgetown is one of the best teams in the league.

Appreciate the compliment, but if Colgate played the schedule Georgetown did, you'd say the Red Raiders were playoff bound.

The irony, of course, is that while Georgetown follows the Ivy model, the majority of Ivies are staying away from scheduling them. Brown is the only Ivy school scheduling the Hoyas after 2021.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 3rd, 2019, 08:25 PM

Forgive me for not being excited about being non-league Cornell to Harvard, Yale and Princeton, and then having to say you're welcome.

The Ivy League did not "play" the Patriot League, a more accurate description would be the Ivy did what they wanted without consideration for the Patriot League.

Son of Eli
October 3rd, 2019, 08:30 PM
Appreciate the compliment, but if Colgate played the schedule Georgetown did, you'd say the Red Raiders were playoff bound.

The irony, of course, is that while Georgetown follows the Ivy model, the majority of Ivies are staying away from scheduling them. Brown is the only Ivy school scheduling the Hoyas after 2021.

I think that will change now that Georgetown is finally renovating its stadium.

Son of Eli
October 3rd, 2019, 08:43 PM
Forgive me for not being excited about being non-league Cornell to Harvard, Yale and Princeton, and then having to say you're welcome.

The Ivy League did not "play" the Patriot League, a more accurate description would be the Ivy did what they wanted without consideration for the Patriot League.

Were you excited about the Merrimack game? Congratulations on the big win.

DFW HOYA
October 3rd, 2019, 08:47 PM
I think that will change now that Georgetown is finally renovating its stadium.

I'm not so sure. The new design is half the size of Fordham and looks more like Marist's stadium than the next Memorial Field or Princeton Stadium. Even worse: there's even less parking because of hospital construction.

Penn or Yale isn't playing Georgetown for much the same reason Georgetown isn't playing those schools in basketball: they don't have to, and the fans aren't clamoring for it anyway.

Son of Eli
October 3rd, 2019, 08:52 PM
I'm not so sure. The new design is half the size of Fordham and looks more like Marist's stadium than the next Memorial Field or Princeton Stadium. Even worse: there's even less parking because of hospital construction.

Penn or Yale isn't playing Georgetown for much the same reason Georgetown isn't playing those schools in basketball: they don't have to, and the fans aren't clamoring for it anyway.

Think you stumbled onto something there. Schedule some Ivy League teams in basketball and they’ll return the favor by scheduling Georgetown in football. Last year’s NIT Georgetown-Harvard game was very entertaining. Why not make it a regular occurrence?

Remise
October 4th, 2019, 08:59 AM
I was just kidding, of course, about the defense. I know they lost some really good people, and presumably the 2-3 good ones who remain -- such as Wheeler and Dharamy-Swaray, for example -- can't do it all.

Go Green
October 4th, 2019, 11:12 AM

You mean Columbia doesn't want to play you again after you manhandled them at their place?

:)

bonarae
October 5th, 2019, 04:58 PM
Colgate lost again. This is the worst-ever showing by a preseason top 25 team.

Do you think they will get a win somehow? By upsetting whom? xchinscratchx

CHIP72
October 5th, 2019, 05:01 PM
The Patriot League has lots of bad teams. At a minimum Colgate should beat Bucknell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kdinva
October 5th, 2019, 05:04 PM

maybe Va. Univ. of Lynchburg? Shorter Coll?

bulldog10jw
October 5th, 2019, 05:14 PM

They will be competitive in their remaining PL games

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 5th, 2019, 05:29 PM
They will be competitive in their remaining PL games

I dunno about that one. I think Georgetown and HC can beat them by a few scores. Their offense is a disaster and for whatever reason their defense can't stop anyone despite having 3 REALLY good players and experience else where.

I'm not trying to pile on Colgate but they and Lehigh should always be held to a higher standard imo. Right now Colgate is a dumpster fire but I don't think it's that shocking because of their history under Hunt. They need to reassess their reality and the difficulty of reloading in the PL. Lehigh has flat out had better talent than Colgate this decade and the results clearly reflect that. Colgate's "system" puts them at a huge disadvantage against faster, more athletic teams. If they want to be a ground and pound team than run the option or flexbone or something like that. This read-option with dink and dunk passing is high school stuff. Their mentality is why the OOC results are so bad under Hunt. It becomes more glaring against decent or better CAA and FBS level teams.

Go Green
October 5th, 2019, 07:36 PM
Colgate's loss today makes my "Dartmouth should be getting more top 20 votes" post a little less compelling...

We will see what the AGS voters decide!

Son of Eli
October 5th, 2019, 07:53 PM
Colgate's loss today makes my "Dartmouth should be getting more top 20 votes" post a little less compelling...

I think you should be more worried about playing Yale next week than with Dartmouth’s ranking.

bulldog10jw
October 5th, 2019, 08:02 PM
I think you should be more worried about playing Yale next week than with Dartmouth’s ranking.

Trash talk, SOE? :)

NY Crusader 2010
October 5th, 2019, 08:06 PM

Before or after today's loss to Lehigh, Colgate wasn't exactly a "feather in your cap" type of win.

NY Crusader 2010
October 5th, 2019, 08:08 PM
I dunno about that one. I think Georgetown and HC can beat them by a few scores. Their offense is a disaster and for whatever reason their defense can't stop anyone despite having 3 REALLY good players and experience else where.

I'm not trying to pile on Colgate but they and Lehigh should always be held to a higher standard imo. Right now Colgate is a dumpster fire but I don't think it's that shocking because of their history under Hunt. They need to reassess their reality and the difficulty of reloading in the PL. Lehigh has flat out had better talent than Colgate this decade and the results clearly reflect that. Colgate's "system" puts them at a huge disadvantage against faster, more athletic teams. If they want to be a ground and pound team than run the option or flexbone or something like that. This read-option with dink and dunk passing is high school stuff. Their mentality is why the OOC results are so bad under Hunt. It becomes more glaring against decent or better CAA and FBS level teams.

The way bulldog should've phrased it is "Colgate has the chance to be competitive in all of their remaining games".