PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian State - NAU: GAME ON!!!

dbackjon
May 7th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Just got an email from NAU's SID - he cc'd on an email to USATODAY.

Appalachian State game is ON THE SCHEDULE - at Boone on Sept 15th!!!

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

xhurrayx

tralfangar
May 7th, 2007, 12:25 PM
wooooooooooooooooo

Appstate29
May 7th, 2007, 12:26 PM

xhurrayx

SWEET!!
Jon do you know if it is a home and home? haven't been to Arizona in awhile, just need an excuse.

Col Hogan
May 7th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Good for both teams, and FCS...complete schedules, great match...xhurrayx

dbackjon
May 7th, 2007, 12:29 PM
SWEET!!
Jon do you know if it is a home and home? haven't been to Arizona in awhile, just need an excuse.

Not sure - I sent an email back asking that very question.

ButlerGSU
Should be a great game.

Any word when App will release their complete schedule? How many more games need to be filled?

dbackjon
Good for both teams, and FCS...complete schedules, great match...xhurrayx

Very good for FCS. It will be a tough game for NAU.

UNHWildCats
May 7th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Should be a great game.

Any word when App will release their complete schedule? How many more games need to be filled?

Appalachian State now has 10 games known with openings on Septermber 8 and October 13, likely will be a div II opponent.

Mountaineer
May 7th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Awesome!!!! It's great getting high quality FCS teams on the schedule, home or away!

xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xrotatehx

Are you going to come out for the game Jon?

AppGuy04
May 7th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Come get your butt whoopin jon!

mcveyrl
May 7th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Awesome!!!! It's great getting high quality FCS teams on the schedule, home or away!

Too late.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Sorry, couldn't resist.

mcveyrl
May 7th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Come get your butt whoopin jon!

Not even goin' there...

Mountaineer
May 7th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Too late.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Sorry, couldn't resist.

xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx xthumbsupx xlolx

UncleSam
May 7th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Why is ASU still attempting to fill it's '07 football schedule? It seems to me that those scheduling issues should have been taken care of long before now.

GannonFan
May 7th, 2007, 01:00 PM
xthumbsupx Good inter-regional matchup - good to see! xthumbsupx

jbuggASU
May 7th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Why is ASU still attempting to fill it's '07 football schedule? It seems to me that those scheduling issues should have been taken care of long before now.

Read the Piece-by-Peice thread! xreadx

dbackjon
May 7th, 2007, 01:01 PM

I would like to, but we will see. It figures that NAU finally schedules a football game in the South right after I move back to Arizona xrolleyesx

AppGuy04
May 7th, 2007, 01:03 PM
the most obvious answer is that not many teams want to play the 2 time defending national champs

the 2nd answer is that most of the time, and most ASU fans won't admit this, is that we don't like to travel and are a little snobbish about it

Mr. C
May 7th, 2007, 01:05 PM
As has been mentioned Ad Naseum on this board, ASU has had numerous teams turn them down for games. They have talked to just about everybody in FCS about scheduling. That's one of the negatives about winning back-to-back national championships. The Mountaineers also had a game with LSU nixed by ESPN and the SEC. LSU had to buy out the game, because they were being mandated to schedule a TV game on the same date by SEC as per the conference's contract with ESPN. The loss of East Tennessee State when the Bucs dropped football created an extra non-conference game on the schedule that has made it difficult for SoCon teams to fill as well. And the Mountaineers had a contract end with Eastern Kentucky and the Colonels were unwilling to renew it because of competition issues. It all adds up to making it difficult to finish a schedule.

dbackjon
May 7th, 2007, 01:05 PM
SWEET!!

At this point, no return game, but still working on that.

Mr. C
May 7th, 2007, 01:06 PM
the most obvious answer is that not many teams want to play the 2 time defending national champs

the 2nd answer is that most of the time, and most ASU fans won't admit this, is that we don't like to travel and are a little snobbish about it
A school like App State is going to try and schedule six home games per year for budgetary reasons. It has nothing to do with snobbory. It has to do with money.

Mr. C
May 7th, 2007, 01:08 PM
At this point, no return game, but still working on that.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a return to NAU in maybe 2009. ASU already travels to JMU in 2008. Would love to see it. I have family in the Phoenix area and it would be nice to fly into Phoenix and then drive up to the game.

ASUMountaineer
May 7th, 2007, 01:14 PM
As has been mentioned Ad Naseum on this board, ASU has had numerous teams turn them down for games. They have talked to just about everybody in FCS about scheduling. That's one of the negatives about winning back-to-back national championships. The Mountaineers also had a game with LSU nixed by ESPN and the SEC. LSU had to buy out the game, because they were being mandated to schedule a TV game on the same date by SEC as per the conference's contract with ESPN. The loss of East Tennessee State when the Bucs dropped football created an extra non-conference game on the schedule that has made it difficult for SoCon teams to fill as well. And the Mountaineers had a contract end with Eastern Kentucky and the Colonels were unwilling to renew it because of competition issues. It all adds up to making it difficult to finish a schedule.

We also had the situation where we asked Gardner-Webb to changed their date with us this year (which they did) so we could schedule Mississippi State and then Gardner-Webb beat us to the punch and scheduled Mississippi State. I talked to someone who would know in the Athletic Department today and he said we will have both games at home and a schedule should (emphasizing should) be done this week xrotatehx . Along with a great package for Yosef Club members for the Michigan game. Looks like NAU is down, my assumption is the other game will be DII, but the contact couldn't tell me who yet.

Col Hogan
May 7th, 2007, 01:29 PM
A school like App State is going to try and schedule six home games per year for budgetary reasons. It has nothing to do with snobbory. It has to do with money.

Mr. C, a great deal of respect to you for your insights, but honest question, isn't the home game/money issue kind of a form of snobbery? If you have a team that wants to play your team, but they say come here for the game...and you say no...then complain about scheduling issues...

What's the difference? I understand all the other issues (LSU, etc)

Mr. C
May 7th, 2007, 01:35 PM
No, it's all about budget. Certain teams make so much money from home games that they can't afford to go on the road for a lot of non-conference games. Most teams try to play a money game with a FBS team once a year and then three or four conference games will be on the road (in ASU's case, four on the road this year). So that leaves finding three games home games. You must also remember that some teams take that additional revenue and put it into their general fund, which ends up helping all of their athletic teams.

GannonFan
May 7th, 2007, 01:47 PM
I have no problem with Delaware doing the same thing, in essence, being "snobbish" about setting up games where it's only a home game for Delaware and no return game - if you can do it, why wouldn't you? No one is forcing the other team to sign onto that arrangement and it's not as if the UD's and Appy St's of the world don't entice the offer with a little bit of cash as well. And it is a nod to the fans as well as when those teams play home games they get 20+k fans versus what could be well under half that number if they played a return game. In essence, more people get to see the football in this case.

Now, with that said, I still can't understand why Appy St has had such a hard time scheduling here - it's reminiscent of JMU's scramble after 2004. I know there were national championships involved, but you almost never heard of other previous champions having such scheduling issues. UD has one of the more, how to say it, auto-pilot AD's in the country and even UD has schedules firm for 5 years out. And we never play less than 6 home games a year (sometimes more). I'm not sure why it was all of a sudden difficult for ASU.

Mr. C
May 7th, 2007, 01:48 PM
I would like to, but we will see. It figures that NAU finally schedules a football game in the South right after I move back to Arizona xrolleyesx
Jon, you've got to be there for this one.

May 7th, 2007, 01:50 PM
... And the Mountaineers had a contract end with Eastern Kentucky and the Colonels were unwilling to renew it because of competition issues...xconfusedx Didn't the last home and home have the home teams winning?

Mountaineer
May 7th, 2007, 01:54 PM
xconfusedx Didn't the last home and home have the home teams winning?

We beat EKU at their place in 2005. Series is 8-3 App. ASU is 5-0 at home and 3-3 in Richmond.

phillyAPP
May 7th, 2007, 01:56 PM

Do you mean APPvs. EKU? We won at EKU 2 years ago. I was there and it was a great game with a nice stadium and tailgating.

RabidRabbit
May 7th, 2007, 01:57 PM

This makes sense, and of course, as a xflamemadx xflamemadx Rabbit about a Unnamed GRIZZLING xrolleyesx team that backs out of return the backhalf game, I'd rather have a clear one-N-done, than a commitment that gets bought out! xthumbsdownx xthumbsdownx

Yosef84
May 7th, 2007, 01:58 PM
I have no problem with Delaware doing the same thing, in essence, being "snobbish" about setting up games where it's only a home game for Delaware and no return game - if you can do it, why wouldn't you? No one is forcing the other team to sign onto that arrangement and it's not as if the UD's and Appy St's of the world don't entice the offer with a little bit of cash as well. And it is a nod to the fans as well as when those teams play home games they get 20+k fans versus what could be well under half that number if they played a return game. In essence, more people get to see the football in this case.

Now, with that said, I still can't understand why Appy St has had such a hard time scheduling here - it's reminiscent of JMU's scramble after 2004. I know there were national championships involved, but you almost never heard of other previous champions having such scheduling issues. UD has one of the more, how to say it, auto-pilot AD's in the country and even UD has schedules firm for 5 years out. And we never play less than 6 home games a year (sometimes more). I'm not sure why it was all of a sudden difficult for ASU.

One factor that has come into play only recently is the addition of the twelth gave for FBS (but not for FCS). Many of the FBS teams are filling that spot with FCS teams, which decreases the pool of FCS teams available to schedule for OOC games. To complicate it, since many are playing that FBS/money game already, they are reluctant to schedule a top tier team because they are still trying make make the playoffs. Bottom line is that the pool of available FCS teams willing to play these tough games is much smaller than is once was.

Greg

May 7th, 2007, 01:59 PM
We beat EKU at their place in 2005. Series is 8-3 App. ASU is 5-0 at home and 3-3 in Richmond.That's right, it was the previous home and home when EKU beat ASU in 2003.

Mr. C
May 7th, 2007, 01:59 PM
NO! EKU won just ONE game in the midst of the home and home contracts that the two schools have had since I've been covering them in the past 15 seasons. ASU wanted to continue the contract, EKU didn't. The reason that was cited was that ASU almost always beats EKU. EKU scheduled a home and home with Western Carolina instead (and lost the first of those games).

Mountaineer
May 7th, 2007, 02:01 PM
This makes sense, and of course, as a xflamemadx xflamemadx Rabbit about a Unnamed GRIZZLING xrolleyesx team that backs out of return the backhalf game, I'd rather have a clear one-N-done, than a commitment that gets bought out! xthumbsdownx xthumbsdownx

I don't think ASU has ever backed out of a home and home (at least that I'm aware of). So don't lump us with that other team. :p

We'll be visiting JMU next year after they played here last year. And I hope we return the favor to NAU for helping us out this year by going out there in 2009.

May 7th, 2007, 02:04 PM
NO!...xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx Wow, take 'er easy there Mr. C. It wasn't the last home and home I was remembering, it was the one before that. xcoffeex

EKU vs. ASU:
Record: 3-8-0
No W/L Date PF Location PA Notes
1 W 11-13-1971 28 Richmond, KY 14
2 L 11-11-1972 7 Boone, NC 55
3 W 11-30-1991 14 Richmond, KY 3 Division I-AA 1st Round Playoff Game
4 L 09-21-1996 14 Richmond, KY 21
5 L 09-20-1997 23 Richmond, KY 27
6 L 11-14-1998 0 Boone, NC 19
7 L 09-11-1999 20 Boone, NC 34
8 L 09-14-2002 28 Boone, NC 36
9 W 09-06-2003 35 Richmond, KY 7
10 L 09-11-2004 21 Boone, NC 49
11 L 09-03-2005 16 Richmond, KY 24
Average differential: 7 points (why I asked about "competitive")
http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/ohiovalley/eastern_kentucky/opponents_records.php?teamid=165
(note: in the I-AA era both teams had 28 point wins)

Mr. C
May 7th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Ralph, you know yourself that Roy Kidd used to complain every year about having to play Appalachian State. Danny Hope was interviewed by CSN the first year he was around about how EKU wanted to play the toughest schedule it could. Somewhere along the line, I guess the Colonels changed their minds about that. Too bad. I always loved the ASU-EKU rivalry. There were a lot of memorable moments. We should have more series between top FCS programs. That's what makes the ASU-NAU matchup intriguing.

CopperCat
May 7th, 2007, 02:18 PM
xhurrayx
how........what........huh?xeyebrowx

Give em' hell NAU. Better rethink my game of the week nominations......

phillyAPP
May 7th, 2007, 02:30 PM
how........what........huh?xeyebrowx

Give em' hell NAU. Better rethink my game of the week nominations......

I know you are cheering for conference members BUT

"Give em' Hell" is an old old old APP cheer.

I can't wait for that game.

I hope alot of NAU fans can make the trip.

BigApp
May 7th, 2007, 04:09 PM
woooooohooooooooo!!!

CopperCat
May 7th, 2007, 04:55 PM
I know you are cheering for conference members BUT

"Give em' Hell" is an old old old APP cheer.

I can't wait for that game.

I hope alot of NAU fans can make the trip.

Yeah whatever. I've been hearing that saying from crusty old MSU fans for most of my life.

I will be watching this game on BigSky TV for sure!!!!

appfan2008
May 7th, 2007, 05:15 PM
congrats to both teams for getting this game done! now i just cant wait for the season to get here... and to hear about our final game

GaSouthern
May 7th, 2007, 05:17 PM
GREAT GAME GOOD NEWS!

GreatAppSt
May 7th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Yeah whatever. I've been hearing that saying from crusty old MSU fans for most of my life.

How long ago did they see the Apps play?:D

AppAttack
May 7th, 2007, 06:06 PM
http://www.goasu.com/article/10771/?fSession=f9c5bd387eb51cf6db8291dedcf1320c4b6f77f6

Appalachian Announces Family Weekend, Homecoming Dates and Opponents
by Appalachian Sports Information

May 7, 2007 - BOONE, N.C. *— Appalachian State University announced Monday the dates and opponents for its 2007 Family Weekend and homecoming football games. Appalachian will host Northern Arizona for Family Day on Saturday, Sept. 15 and Gardner-Webb for homecoming on Saturday, Oct. 6.

Appalachian, the two-time-defending NCAA Division I national champion, will square off with another traditional Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS — formerly Division I-AA) power when it welcomes Northern Arizona to Kidd Brewer Stadium on Sept. 15. The meeting is the first between ASU and NAU and marks just the second-ever visit to Boone by a member of the Big Sky Conference. In last season's Division I quarterfinal, Appalachian thumped Big Sky runner-up Montana State, 38-17, before a national-television audience at The Rock.

The Lumberjacks' visit also marks the Mountaineers' first-ever regular-season matchup with a Big Sky opponent. The Apps will look to even their all-time record versus the Big Sky at 2-2, having defeated Montana State in last season’s national quarterfinals, but lost to Montana in the 2000 semifinals and Boise State in the 1994 quarterfinals.

Northern Arizona finished 6-5 a season ago, but its five losses came at the hands of Division I Bowl Championship Subdivision members Arizona State and Utah, playoff participants Montana and Montana State and near-playoff qualifier Portland State.

For the second time, but first since 1983, Appalachian will host local rival Gardner-Webb for homecoming. A year ago, in the first meeting between the two schools in 17 years, ASU routed GWU, 41-6, in Boiling Springs, N.C. The crowd of 8,490, which included many Black and Gold-clad fans just 98 miles from Appalachian's campus, was the largest in Gardner-Webb history.

The Bulldogs went on to finish the 2006 season at 6-5 overall.

Appalachian anticipates completing its full 2007 schedule later this week. ASU opens the 2007 campaign on Sept. 1 at Michigan.

WyomingGrizFan
May 7th, 2007, 07:38 PM
This makes sense, and of course, as a Rabbit about a Unnamed GRIZZLING team that backs out of return the backhalf game, I'd rather have a clear one-N-done, than a commitment that gets bought out!

I fully agree with ya on that one, 'RabidRabbit.' I would very, very, much rather have had a game with SDSU, even on the road as it was supposedly scheduled as, than a mere home game with a Div. II opponent; nothing personal against Ft. Lewis, but the last time we played them it was like 55 - 0?!! I mean really.

appsfan
May 7th, 2007, 08:09 PM
woooooohooooooooo!!!
My feelings exactly! I am excited about this great FCS matchup.:D

BrevardMountaineer03
May 7th, 2007, 08:21 PM
My feelings exactly! I am excited about this great FCS matchup.:D
I would like to see us play a 'West Coast' team more! One a year, heck it would be good exposure!xnodx

Zoo
May 7th, 2007, 08:26 PM
I think this'll be a game to watch out for! :D

SoCon48
May 7th, 2007, 08:32 PM

We've only been doing it since 1937 at App.

CopperCat
May 7th, 2007, 10:00 PM
We've only been doing it since 1937 at App.
I.................................don't........... ........................care.xcoffeex

MSU has been doing that since 1897 btw.

AgentPaul001
May 7th, 2007, 11:10 PM
I'm very happy for sure, great game for sure. I'm SO HAPPY we were able to nab another good FCS team, since my worst fear of one less home game or TWO divII opponents won't happen.

In-fact NAU is such a solid opponent, I'll take that DIVII game just for the hell of it ;)

Although it'd have been nice to get Mississippi St as well, the alumni would have very little to complain about lol.

boonedocks
May 8th, 2007, 12:11 AM
I'm excited that ASU and NAU have scheduled this game! I was really concered about our sched, but know even with a DII game, I feel that it is a good slate.

CopperCat
May 8th, 2007, 12:26 AM
I'm excited that ASU and NAU have scheduled this game! I was really concered about our sched, but know even with a DII game, I feel that it is a good slate.
NAU really is a redeeming factor for you guys. Increased credibility for your schedule may be beneficial down the road.

WyomingGrizFan
May 8th, 2007, 02:22 AM
My apologies extended for our instate rivals over there, 'I-AA 2006.' I mean, who in their right minds would ever call a 'brick' a 'Kat-House' anyways. Take it into consideration with full sympathies. Besides which, if they ever go onomatopoeic then they'd be called the Montana State 'Meow.' Got to feel somewhat sorry for them every once in a while. Every twenty-three years they come from under their rock occasionally and evidently the light hurts their eyes. It's new to them mostly and they take time to cope with the surroundings as such, that is, if they ever get that far again.

Wish them luck. They'll need it next time.

slostang
May 8th, 2007, 08:00 AM
I don't think ASU has ever backed out of a home and home (at least that I'm aware of). So don't lump us with that other team. :p

We'll be visiting JMU next year after they played here last year. And I hope we return the favor to NAU for helping us out this year by going out there in 2009.
He was complimenting ASU for being straight up and scheduling the game as only a home game and not scheduling a home and home that you do not intend to honor the back half of like some team located in Montana. I think it was meant more as a back handed slap to a team that bought out the return game on a two to one contract with SDSU.

BTW, great game.

Bobcat in NC
May 8th, 2007, 08:03 AM
My apologies extended for our instate rivals over there, 'I-AA 2006.' I mean, who in their right minds would ever call a 'brick' a 'Kat-House' anyways. Take it into consideration with full sympathies. Besides which, if they ever go onomatopoeic then they'd be called the Montana State 'Meow.' Got to feel somewhat sorry for them every once in a while. Every twenty-three years they come from under their rock occasionally and evidently the light hurts their eyes. It's new to them mostly and they take time to cope with the surroundings as such, that is, if they ever get that far again.

Classic. Another thread that has nothing to do with the state of Montana gets hijacked and turned Cat/Griz. Well done, WyomingGrizFan. Your self-importance is the stuff of legend. xnonono2x

Now, back on topic, great pickup for ASU! It's great to hear that, even in the eleventh hour, they tried to schedule quality opponents and didn't have to lower their standards. Even with a likely DII game added on top of this, they still have a pretty nice schedule. Michigan, NAU, Furman, Wofford and GSU are all potentially great games and El Cid could be a fun one, too. Nice schedule.

Black Saturday
May 8th, 2007, 08:09 AM

And all this is brought on by the way teams are selected for the FCS playoffs. I am for the playoffs in a big way. One day the BCS may get this right. IMO, "Strength of Schedule" needs to carry more weight in the FCS selection process. If it did then most of the scheduling nightmares will go away.

Sir William
May 8th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Now, back on topic, great pickup for ASU! It's great to hear that, even in the eleventh hour, they tried to schedule quality opponents and didn't have to lower their standards. Even with a likely DII game added on top of this, they still have a pretty nice schedule. Michigan, NAU, Furman, Wofford and GSU are all potentially great games and El Cid could be a fun one, too. Nice schedule.

It is a very nice schedule. Congrats to App. See you guys in October. xthumbsupx

Tod
May 8th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Outstanding! xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx

GreatAppSt
May 8th, 2007, 11:51 AM
I.................................don't........... ........................care.xcoffeex

Well isn't that special.xoopsx

PS xconfusedx You obviosly must, or you would not post about it.:D :p

Mountaineer#96
May 8th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Thank the Lord!!! .........I'll be a happy alum xnodx .

SoCon48
May 9th, 2007, 10:07 AM

I understand, WGF.

SoCon48
May 9th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Well isn't that special.xoopsx

PS xconfusedx You obviosly must, or you would not post about it.:D :p

GAS, quit trying to assign logic or consistency to his posts. It ain't gonna happen.