PDA

View Full Version : UND @ EWU

Professor Chaos
September 26th, 2019, 08:51 AM
This is an interesting game to me. EWU is reeling and if they lose this game is their season already over at 1-4 (0-4 vs D1 teams)? The rest of the their schedule is very manageable with the only real intimidating game being at Montana (they miss Weber St, UC Davis, and Montana St). That means running the table or only dropping one more is very doable but if they lose this game even running the table would only put them at 8-4 (with a D2 win). Will that be good enough to get them in with that kind of schedule and lack of quality wins (assuming they don't get the Big Sky autobid)?

On the other side UND has a very tough remaining schedule with home games against UC Davis and Montana St and a game at Weber St still to come. EWU seems ripe for the picking and if UND picks up a win they start looking like a potential playoff team with a 3-1 record who's only loss is to the #1 team in the FCS. I think they'd deserve a spot in the top 25 at that point.

I think EWU wins this one out of desperation but it'll be an interesting game to follow on Saturday.

F'N Hawks
September 26th, 2019, 09:09 AM
I agree, with EWU losing those games early on this game took on a totally different look. Was expecting them to be 3-1, not 1-3. Their defense is banged up and seem to look disinterested at times. But their offense can score quickly and hit long plays, which has always been an issue with UND's secondary. SHSU never threatened down the field for some reason but EWU will - then you got Barriere taking off anytime he wants. This is gonna be a good one.

MSUBobcat
September 26th, 2019, 10:40 AM
This one is hard to predict. EWU is clearly a wounded dog backed into a corner so they have a strong motivation to come out swinging and have that terrible turf advantage. UND has had an extra week to prepare their stout defense for EWU's offense, but do they have an offense to keep up? I'm thinking UND by 3 and EWU goes from national champion runner up (y'all get your T-shirts yet?) to missing the playoffs and possibly finishing 6-6.

Schism55
September 26th, 2019, 11:39 AM
Absolute must win for the Eags. If they have any designs on making the playoffs they have to show up saturday. I think EWU wins, but it's close. I will almost certainly be betting the over in this game.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 26th, 2019, 03:15 PM
EWU has enough in the tank offensively to beat UND IMO.

The Eagle defense is hurting so this one will be interesting.

Bisonator
September 26th, 2019, 03:25 PM
Yep very interesting game. Must win for EW.

POD Knows
September 26th, 2019, 03:28 PM
UND rolls EWU.

IBleedYellow
September 26th, 2019, 03:30 PM
EWU is trending down and UND is trending up.

Can one stop the bleeding while the other keeps fighting?

Bison56
September 27th, 2019, 06:39 AM
EWU is trending down and UND is trending up.

Can one stop the bleeding while the other keeps fighting?

I see what you did there.

nodak651
September 27th, 2019, 06:54 AM
Check out the forecast for this one. Cold, rainy, and windy!

100%GRIZ
September 27th, 2019, 08:22 AM
Check out the forecast for this one. Cold, rainy, and windy!
If that is the case I'm guessing that would help UND?

F'N Hawks
September 27th, 2019, 08:41 AM

Maybe last year but went to a spread look this year and running game has been xthumbsdownx

nodak651
September 27th, 2019, 08:49 AM

I'm not sure about that. UND has a better pass defense than rush defense. Pass D is #1 in total yards (111.7), #1 in yards per attempt (4.72), and #4 in team passing efficiency defense. Our run D is only average, and our offense hasn't really been able to move the ball on the ground consistently. Our O-line lost weight over the offseason, to move to a zone blocking scheme I guess. We aren't really a power running offense anymore. I'm not sure that UND can out rush EWU. We had some trouble controlling trey lance on the ground, and the same could be true for EWU's QB.

kalm
September 27th, 2019, 09:42 AM
This one is hard to predict. EWU is clearly a wounded dog backed into a corner so they have a strong motivation to come out swinging and have that terrible turf advantage. UND has had an extra week to prepare their stout defense for EWU's offense, but do they have an offense to keep up? I'm thinking UND by 3 and EWU goes from national champion runner up (y'all get your T-shirts yet?) to missing the playoffs and possibly finishing 6-6.

That's what happened in 2010-2011.

We're also beat up at RB. Custer will get the start again. He's small, quick, and can squeeze through tiny gaps but UofI with their huge DL was able to clog the middle and shut him down in the 1st half. We're down to all freshman behind Custer with our #1, #2, and #4 backs all out.

The weather will dictate much of what happens. Barriere has been hesitant to run at times and create plays from space but he may need to in this situation. The defense might be getting some bullets back as well.

The schedule doesn't look as weak now. Sac is playing well and that will be another tough road game. PSU also looks improved and I think NAU is a 7-5 or 8-4 team. Then here's Idaho who could supplant us for 4th or 5th BSC playoff spot due to the head to head. Regardless, without playing Weber, MSU, and Davis, we won't control our own destiny unless we win out. Go chaos!

Interesting game indeed.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 27th, 2019, 05:32 PM
Maybe last year but went to a spread look this year and running game has been xthumbsdownx

If the weather is bad, pound JJ. He is a downhill runner that could work well if the weather is really crappy. Give him 30-35 carries.

UNDColorado
September 28th, 2019, 11:53 AM
Looks like it's snowing right now in Cheney. This should be interesting. Who wants it more?

cx500d
September 28th, 2019, 05:06 PM
Does this count as a BS conference game for ewu?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammersmith
September 28th, 2019, 05:31 PM
Does this count as a BS conference game for ewu?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. But EWU's loss last week to Idaho did not.