PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 9-23

JALMOND
September 23rd, 2019, 09:10 PM
Finally, the non conference schedule is done (for most anyway) and the conference can now go about finding out who is the best team out there. Teams are beginning to peak and we are slowly seeing what most teams have. Big question off the bat is what is going on with EWU? Anyway, here are this week's power rankings (last week in parenthesis). As usual, all are my opinion only. On to the conference battles.

1. UC-Davis (1)---Last week, lost at North Dakota State (Mo Valley) 27-16, this week Montana at home---No shame for the Aggies in going on the road and putting up a great battle with the top dog. Better be no hangover as the Grizzlies would love to knock them off the throne.

2. Weber State (3)---Last week, bye, this week Northern Iowa (Mo Valley) at home---While most teams are starting their conference schedule, the Wildcats welcome a strong Mo Valley team to their turf, and also had two weeks to prepare for this game.

3. Montana (4)---Last week beat Monmouth (Big South) at home 47-27, this week at UC-Davis---The Grizzlies had a tougher than expected tussle with a top Big South team but still came through for the win. Starting conference play, they hit the road and hope to dash the Aggies hopes.

4. Montana State (5)---Last week beat Norfolk State (MEAC) at home 56-21, this week Northern Arizona at home---The Bobcats put away their MEAC opponent quickly and scored a good win. They open conference play at home and hope to gain a good win over the Lumberjacks.

5. Eastern Washington (2)---Last week, lost at Idaho 35-27, this week North Dakota (Independent) at home---What is going on with the Eagles? Granted the game was on the road but they have not looked like title contenders so far. Is it good that they are home this weekend?

6. Sacramento State (7)---Last week, lost at Fresno State (FBS Mtn West) 34-20, this week, bye---A closer than expected game awaited the Hornets last week as they made a second trip into the FBS. Still a loss but they looked impressive. A bye week may be the only thing to slow them up.

7. Northern Arizona (6)---Last week lost at Illinois State (Mo Valley) 40-27, this week at Montana State---It seems the Lumberjacks may be trying to outscore its defense which may be cumbersome at times. The offense will score but can the defense stop someone. They move on the road this week.

8. Idaho (10)---Last week, beat Eastern Washington at home 35-27, this week at Northern Colorado---The Vandals may be figuring this conference out in knocking off one of the heavies last week. Conference play finds them on the road but brimming with confidence.

9. Idaho State (8)---Last week, lost at Northern Iowa (Mo Valley) 13-6, this week Portland State at home---The Bengals' defense can keep them in the game, but they need to find some offense somewhere. They need to find it fast as conference play starts this week.

10. Portland State (9)---Last week, beat Eastern Oregon (NAIA) at home 59-9, this week at Idaho State---The Big Sky schedule finally forces the Vikings to play someone in FCS this weekend. After wins against lower division teams and losses to the FBS, that might be best.

11. Cal Poly (11)---Last week bye, this week at Southern Utah---The Mustangs took two weeks to prepare for conference play, taking a bye last week. They head out on the road to start, but are poised and ready, eager for a conference win.

12. Southern Utah (12)---Last week lost at South Dakota State (Mo Valley) 43-7, this week Cal Poly at home---Another rebuilding year for the Thunderbirds this year? They took one on the chin last week in Mo Valley country. They do get a good shot at home this weekend.

13. Northern Colorado (13)---Last week, lost to South Dakota (Mo Valley) at home 14-6, this week Idaho at home---In a game that no one really wanted to win, the Bear succeeded and took a home loss. They stay at home and welcome a rejuvenated Vandal team.

RECAP: 1-4 out front, 5 hanging on, 6-10 gaining, 11 holding, 12-13 fading.

slostang
September 23rd, 2019, 09:53 PM
Always enjoy reading your take.

Curious what your reasoning for having Idaho 3 spots behind EWU after Idaho took EWU behind the wood shed this weekend?

JALMOND
September 23rd, 2019, 11:17 PM
Curious what your reasoning for having Idaho 3 spots behind EWU after Idaho took EWU behind the wood shed this weekend?

You come in to every season thinking to have a good season, you have to win your home games, regardless of the opponent. Idaho did that. I'm not completely sold on them, but I did move them past PSU who beat a NAIA team, and ISU who stayed with a good Mo Valley team on the road. Are they better than EWU overall, maybe? They beat them at home, but could they have beaten them on a neutral field (on in Cheney)? Right now, I need to see more before I can say they are better than EWU.

mvemjsunpx
September 24th, 2019, 03:24 PM
You come in to every season thinking to have a good season, you have to win your home games, regardless of the opponent. Idaho did that. I'm not completely sold on them, but I did move them past PSU who beat a NAIA team, and ISU who stayed with a good Mo Valley team on the road. Are they better than EWU overall, maybe? They beat them at home, but could they have beaten them on a neutral field (on in Cheney)? Right now, I need to see more before I can say they are better than EWU.

I agree with this. Was Idaho's win about them really being good, or was it about EWU not showing up in the first half? The Eagles did win the second half 27-7.

The Vandals did play Wyoming surprisingly tough, but they also struggled to beat Central Washington.

wapiti
September 24th, 2019, 03:56 PM
Finally, the non conference schedule is done (for most anyway) and the conference can now go about finding out who is the best team out there. Teams are beginning to peak and we are slowly seeing what most teams have. Big question off the bat is what is going on with EWU? Anyway, here are this week's power rankings (last week in parenthesis). As usual, all are my opinion only. On to the conference battles.

1. UC-Davis (1)---Last week, lost at North Dakota State (Mo Valley) 27-16, this week Montana at home---No shame for the Aggies in going on the road and putting up a great battle with the top dog. Better be no hangover as the Grizzlies would love to knock them off the throne.

2. Weber State (3)---Last week, bye, this week Northern Iowa (Mo Valley) at home---While most teams are starting their conference schedule, the Wildcats welcome a strong Mo Valley team to their turf, and also had two weeks to prepare for this game.

3. Montana (4)---Last week beat Monmouth (Big South) at home 47-27, this week at UC-Davis---The Grizzlies had a tougher than expected tussle with a top Big South team but still came through for the win. Starting conference play, they hit the road and hope to dash the Aggies hopes.

4. Montana State (5)---Last week beat Norfolk State (MEAC) at home 56-21, this week Northern Arizona at home---The Bobcats put away their MEAC opponent quickly and scored a good win. They open conference play at home and hope to gain a good win over the Lumberjacks.

5. Eastern Washington (2)---Last week, lost at Idaho 35-27, this week North Dakota (Independent) at home---What is going on with the Eagles? Granted the game was on the road but they have not looked like title contenders so far. Is it good that they are home this weekend?

6. Sacramento State (7)---Last week, lost at Fresno State (FBS Mtn West) 34-20, this week, bye---A closer than expected game awaited the Hornets last week as they made a second trip into the FBS. Still a loss but they looked impressive. A bye week may be the only thing to slow them up.

7. Northern Arizona (6)---Last week lost at Illinois State (Mo Valley) 40-27, this week at Montana State---It seems the Lumberjacks may be trying to outscore its defense which may be cumbersome at times. The offense will score but can the defense stop someone. They move on the road this week.

8. Idaho (10)---Last week, beat Eastern Washington at home 35-27, this week at Northern Colorado---The Vandals may be figuring this conference out in knocking off one of the heavies last week. Conference play finds them on the road but brimming with confidence.

9. Idaho State (8)---Last week, lost at Northern Iowa (Mo Valley) 13-6, this week Portland State at home---The Bengals' defense can keep them in the game, but they need to find some offense somewhere. They need to find it fast as conference play starts this week.

10. Portland State (9)---Last week, beat Eastern Oregon (NAIA) at home 59-9, this week at Idaho State---The Big Sky schedule finally forces the Vikings to play someone in FCS this weekend. After wins against lower division teams and losses to the FBS, that might be best.

11. Cal Poly (11)---Last week bye, this week at Southern Utah---The Mustangs took two weeks to prepare for conference play, taking a bye last week. They head out on the road to start, but are poised and ready, eager for a conference win.

12. Southern Utah (12)---Last week lost at South Dakota State (Mo Valley) 43-7, this week Cal Poly at home---Another rebuilding year for the Thunderbirds this year? They took one on the chin last week in Mo Valley country. They do get a good shot at home this weekend.

13. Northern Colorado (13)---Last week, lost to South Dakota (Mo Valley) at home 14-6, this week Idaho at home---In a game that no one really wanted to win, the Bear succeeded and took a home loss. They stay at home and welcome a rejuvenated Vandal team.

RECAP: 1-4 out front, 5 hanging on, 6-10 gaining, 11 holding, 12-13 fading.

I agree with the ranking. My Tiers are a tad different:
Tier 1 is 1-4
Tier 2 is 5-9
Tier 3 is 10-13
Portland State is on the verge of moving to Tier 2, but I need to see more than beating up on Div 2 team and NAIA team and losing to FBS teams.

slostang
September 24th, 2019, 05:25 PM
I agree with the ranking. My Tiers are a tad different:
Tier 1 is 1-4
Tier 2 is 5-9
Tier 3 is 10-13
Portland State is on the verge of moving to Tier 2, but I need to see more than beating up on Div 2 team and NAIA team and losing to FBS teams.
I know after Cal Poly laid an egg two weeks ago against Oregon State they probably belong in tier 3 at this time.

That said, Cal Poly’s offense is going to give some real good teams in the Big Sky problems. We actually have a decent passing game to go along with a strong triple option run game. Our problem is our defense is very suspect. Even with a less than stellar defense, I do believe if we stay healthy we will be moving up by season’s end and will pull off a couple of surprising Big Sky upsets.

MSUBobcat
September 24th, 2019, 05:48 PM
I think I might move Sac State above EWU at this point. Last week they didn't show up for the 1st half; the week before they didn't show up for the 2nd half. They gave up 31 points to Lindenwood. Until they can put together a whole game and their defense shows even a flicker of a heartbeat, I have no confidence in this team. Sac State meanwhile has played 2 FBS teams tough and put a beatdown on inferior opponents. Hard to say right now, but we'll know for sure this weekend.

FUGameBreaker
September 25th, 2019, 03:55 PM
Yo Weber St. and EWU, we need a school FACT here xthumbsupx

https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?234912-Interesting-Facts-about-Current-FCS-Top-25-Schools

catbob
September 27th, 2019, 05:33 PM
Thanks as always for doing these! Just wanted to let you know I appreciate them even though I rarely comment anymore.