PDA

View Full Version : David Ball raising eyebrows with circus catches at mini camp

Old Cat Fan
May 5th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Well I guess after a not so good day one, with a couple of dropped passes. David Ball came back with a great day two making several great catches, that had the media and scouts "ooh and awing" so much so, that he is one of three unsigned players that will probally be offered a chance to come back for the full camp.xthumbsupx xthumbsupx Hear is the link to the info.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-070505bearsbits,1,7464536.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o183/OLDCATFAN/29576458.jpg

The following is a quote from a Bears reporter covering the camp

"The star of the day is David Ball, the undrafted free agent receiver out of New Hampshire. He was known for his incredibly soft hands in college, but he dropped quite a few catchable balls in Friday's practice. But today, he's made three or four near-impossible grabs and is getting "oohs" and "aahs" from the small crowd of media and scouts that are on hand watching the action."

May 6th, 2007, 12:10 AM
if the Bears do not get Ball into camp then they are freakin idiots.... again.

Mr. C
May 6th, 2007, 12:55 AM
Imagine that, David Ball making acrobatic catches.

Grizalltheway
May 6th, 2007, 01:59 AM
Awesome news, love seeing FCS players in the pros. xthumbsupx

flea
May 6th, 2007, 03:29 AM
Indeed who'd have thunk it Mr. C

yorkcountyUNHfan
May 6th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Nice to see these reviews coming from the Chicago press.

Rex Grossman will love someone who can go get poorly thrown passes.

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

UNHFan99
May 6th, 2007, 10:12 AM
another nice article about Dave and a funny nickname.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-070505haugh,0,2740024.column?page=2&coll=cs-home-headlines

yorkcountyUNHfan
May 6th, 2007, 10:17 AM
another nice article about Dave and a funny nickname.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-070505haugh,0,2740024.column?page=2&coll=cs-home-headlines

Great article,,,thanks for the link.

foghorn
May 6th, 2007, 10:48 AM
I'm just glad he's with the Bears and not back with UNH. I'm sick and tired watching him get open and making circus catches against the Hens. I wish him all the best as I root for all FCS players, especially those that I've watched personally in Delaware Stadium, which are many!xnodx

dbackjon
May 6th, 2007, 06:23 PM
hope he can catch on with the Da Bears - show up the teams that passed him up.

GannonFan
May 7th, 2007, 10:21 AM
hope he can catch on with the Da Bears - show up the teams that passed him up.

You mean, every other team???? :p

bodoyle
May 7th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Nice to see these reviews coming from the Chicago press.

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

It doesnt matter when he throws it to the other team and off his back foot so it floats 10 yards too far. xnonono2x

bodoyle
May 7th, 2007, 11:50 AM
unh coach on ESPN 1000's Waddle and Silverman show.

Comparing him to Chicago Bears' Tom Waddle.

Waddle said he cheats using tacky gloves and unh coach said they cheated by spraying pine tar on the gloves.xeyebrowx

Lehigh Football Nation
May 7th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Imagine that, David Ball making acrobatic catches.

xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox

I'm still incredulous that he wasn't drafted. I saw him play twice in person. When he played versus Hofstra two years ago I must have been saying "Oh, wow." every other play. Good to see the Bears giving him an opportunity, and considering he's getting columnists devoting whole columns to him, it's boding well early, at least.

I firmly believe he will prove people wrong. Barring injury, he has the ability to have a long, productive NFL career - at worst.

DunkandDukin
May 8th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Wouldn't that be sumthin'.

"David Ball goes over 100 yards for the third time this season as rookie Quarterback Justin Rascati, also an undrafted free agent, got his first start of the season. Rex Grossman had been benched for his 12 interception to 4 TD ratio in favor of the young Rascati who performed in the same efficient way he did in College at James Madison with a 16 of 22 day for a 247 yds. Clearly a quarterback controversy is at hand, though no controversy at the wideout spot.":D :p

May 8th, 2007, 08:49 PM
unh coach on ESPN 1000's Waddle and Silverman show.
Comparing him to Chicago Bears' Tom Waddle.
Waddle said he cheats using tacky gloves and unh coach said they cheated by spraying pine tar on the gloves.xeyebrowxWaddle is a crappy analyst and radio guy. Guess what Waddle, you were slow and injury prone. Ball has more talent in one foot than you ever had in your entire body. xnonono2x

What UNH coach said that? Must be the times I shook Ball's hand when he had his gloves on that somehow magically the "pine tar" disintegrated. xrolleyesx

bodoyle
May 9th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Waddle is a crappy analyst and radio guy. Guess what Waddle, you were slow and injury prone. Ball has more talent in one foot than you ever had in your entire body. xnonono2x

What UNH coach said that? Must be the times I shook Ball's hand when he had his gloves on that somehow magically the "pine tar" disintegrated. xrolleyesx

Ralph, it was the head coach at unh b/c he also was a position or asst coach at BC when Waddle was there.

bodoyle
May 9th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Wouldn't that be sumthin'.

"David Ball goes over 100 yards for the third time this season as rookie Quarterback Justin Rascati, also an undrafted free agent, got his first start of the season. Rex Grossman had been benched for his 12 interception to 4 TD ratio in favor of the young Rascati who performed in the same efficient way he did in College at James Madison with a 16 of 22 day for a 247 yds. Clearly a quarterback controversy is at hand, though no controversy at the wideout spot.":D :p

"Rex is our Quarterback". http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/040114/040114_hmed_lovie_330p.hmedium.jpg xoopsx xnonox xnonono2x xmadx xcoolx xsmhx

89Hen
May 9th, 2007, 08:45 AM
xlolx I was thinking the same thing. As long as Grossman is there Ball can miss all the well thrown balls he wants (0), catch the poorly thrown ones and make the Pro Bowl.

DUPFLFan
May 9th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Bears just released another receiver - guy named Currie who couldn't get on the field because of injury. Coincidence?

bodoyle
May 9th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Bears just released another receiver - guy named Currie who couldn't get on the field because of injury. Coincidence?

Yea Airese (pronounced uhh reece) Currie. He was horrible. Couldn't catch, couldn't run etc.

Seahawks Fan
May 9th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Reminds me of the little guy from Hofstra, Wayne Chrebet.

DunkandDukin
May 9th, 2007, 01:46 PM
"Rex is our Quarterback". http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/040114/040114_hmed_lovie_330p.hmedium.jpg xoopsx xnonox xnonono2x xmadx xcoolx xsmhx

As a Viking fan I hope he is your quarterback. xnodx xlolx

What a mixed bag for this draft. The best QB to date in school history goes to the team I despise most in pro ball and the QB that beats us on the field, maybe keeping us from defending our C-ship goes to the Vikings...xsmhx xnonono2x

CCU97
May 9th, 2007, 03:33 PM
The best QB to date in school history goes to the team I despise most in pro ball ....Justin Rascati? Unfortunately it doesn't look like the Bears have signed him...He isn't on the roster currently and was only there as a tryout. He would have a long road ahead of him with Rex, Griese, Orton, and Leak ahead of him and only 3 spots....not even sure if Leak will make the team...They have 3 guys who have been in the league and started and played within their system...will be tough for anyone to break into this team right now.

Pageoner
May 15th, 2007, 05:01 PM
the bears also picked up National Championship winning QB Chris Leak as unsigned free agent
looks like that team is going to be real deep this season.

flea
May 16th, 2007, 12:36 AM
the bears also picked up National Championship winning QB Chris Leak as unsigned free agent
looks like that team is going to be real deep this season.

He's gonna need a great camp to make the team.

Calilumber
May 16th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Hope that kid the best of luck. I have read the coaching staff really likes him.xthumbsupx

TheCatamount
June 7th, 2007, 08:23 PM
What an amazing player to watch, I wish him the best

PantherRob82
June 9th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Well I guess after a not so good day one, with a couple of dropped passes. David Ball came back with a great day two making several great catches, that had the media and scouts "ooh and awing" so much so, that he is one of three unsigned players that will probally be offered a chance to come back for the full camp.xthumbsupx xthumbsupx Hear is the link to the info.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-070505bearsbits,1,7464536.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o183/OLDCATFAN/29576458.jpg

The following is a quote from a Bears reporter covering the camp

"The star of the day is David Ball, the undrafted free agent receiver out of New Hampshire. He was known for his incredibly soft hands in college, but he dropped quite a few catchable balls in Friday's practice. But today, he's made three or four near-impossible grabs and is getting "oohs" and "aahs" from the small crowd of media and scouts that are on hand watching the action."

great to hear, needs to start catching the easy ones too though.

Peems
June 9th, 2007, 03:06 PM
any new news on ball

foghorn
June 9th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Reminds me of the little guy from Hofstra, Wayne Chrebet.

Saw Chrebet catch 5 TD's against UD in 1 game! Wayne was considerably faster than Ball.

Old Cat Fan
June 14th, 2007, 12:12 AM
any new news on ball

Not much news about Ball, however the Bears signed a Arena league wide receiver to a Three year contract, that will end up hurting D Ball's chances of making the team even more. Also the fact that whoever gets in as a reserve W.R will have to play special teams ( which requires speed) somthing that Ball has never done and doesn't have. So we will have to wait and see how the summer camp works out..

VT Wildcat Fan53
June 15th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Not much news about Ball, however the Bears signed a Arena league wide receiver to a Three year contract, that will end up hurting D Ball's chances of making the team even more. Also the fact that whoever gets in as a reserve W.R will have to play special teams ( which requires speed) somthing that Ball has never done and doesn't have. So we will have to wait and see how the summer camp works out..

There is a reason why the kid has been in the AFL. Ball runs fast enough to be on special teams; just because UNH never used him there doesn't mean he can't do it. How many top WR and RB are used on Special Teams in college anyway? Don't forget, he has something special to offer and if he can translate it to the NFL, then he'll be fine. He will get the chance.

With his hands and elusiveness, he could be an outstanding Punt Returner who won't break the big one, but will never fumble and will always get a a few yards after making the first wave miss.....

Uncle Buck
June 16th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Saw Chrebet catch 5 TD's against UD in 1 game! Wayne was considerably faster than Ball.

Foghorn, i played for HU back then with Wayne and that game was incredible. While Wayne didn't have blazing speed, he was a lot quicker than many people expected. I think he would have the edge in speed over Ball as well.

UNHFootballAlum
June 18th, 2007, 12:43 PM
David ball will not be a punt returner. Remember, the Bears also drafted Corey Graham and have an extablished punt returner

VT Wildcat Fan53
June 18th, 2007, 10:25 PM
David ball will not be a punt returner. Remember, the Bears also drafted Corey Graham and have an extablished punt returner

I would obviously tend to agree with you, but who really knows? Graham also has to make the team and if the established Punt Returner becomes the star WR everyone thinks he can be, he probably WON't be returning punts for long. If Ball can compete as a wideout or slot receiver vs the NFL DB's, the Bears will try to find a special teams slot for him somewhere.

douglasdmb
June 18th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Travis Jervey (great tailback for The Citadel back in the day) made the Pro Bowl with Packers based on his special teams play, not even having taken punt returns.

Mod11
June 19th, 2007, 07:29 AM
AP is a special teams standout for the Chicago Bears

UNHFootballAlum
June 22nd, 2007, 12:10 AM
I would obviously tend to agree with you, but who really knows? Graham also has to make the team and if the established Punt Returner becomes the star WR everyone thinks he can be, he probably WON't be returning punts for long. If Ball can compete as a wideout or slot receiver vs the NFL DB's, the Bears will try to find a special teams slot for him somewhere.

My Point is that Corey is already a proven return man and yes they both need to make the team. Corey is sitting in a better spot to make the team right now than David Ball. I hope that they both make the team. Devin Hester will be returning kicks and punts regardless of his becoming a star receiver. he's too good in that area

UNHFan99
June 22nd, 2007, 03:24 PM
Corey is guaranteed to make the team. They very rarely cut 5th rounders. From what I have heard Dave is catching everything at the mini-camps. He is doing everything he can to make the team. I doubt he will be playing much special teams in regular season games. He will probably at least get a chance to prove himself in that area during the preseason. I think he is fast enough to play reciever in the league, but not fast enough to be a gunner on punts or kickoffs. That is generally for guys like Corey who run low 4.3's. I think if Dave doesnt make the team he will at least be on the practice squad which pays very well too. Too make the team as a reciever that doesnt play special teams you have to be a top 5 reciever. With them moving Hester and signing the AFL guy its definitelly gonna be harder. I would never doubt him or his abilities and expect him to playing in the NFL for somebody someday.

UNHFootballAlum
June 22nd, 2007, 08:10 PM
Corey is guaranteed to make the team. They very rarely cut 5th rounders. From what I have heard Dave is catching everything at the mini-camps. He is doing everything he can to make the team. I doubt he will be playing much special teams in regular season games. He will probably at least get a chance to prove himself in that area during the preseason. I think he is fast enough to play reciever in the league, but not fast enough to be a gunner on punts or kickoffs. That is generally for guys like Corey who run low 4.3's. I think if Dave doesnt make the team he will at least be on the practice squad which pays very well too. Too make the team as a reciever that doesnt play special teams you have to be a top 5 reciever. With them moving Hester and signing the AFL guy its definitelly gonna be harder. I would never doubt him or his abilities and expect him to playing in the NFL for somebody someday.

I agree with everything that you've said and I hope that David makes the squad. What are the chances that he plays in NFLE?

UNHFan99
June 23rd, 2007, 06:36 PM
NFLE is very difficult to get into, but it would be perfect for Dave. I think he will be on the bears roster or practice squad at least though. I think this because his potential as a possession reciever is very good and you might as well have a guy that runs good routes like dave on your 8 man practice squad. NFLE is kinda confusing and works like this. Each NFL team is only allowed to allocate 5 guys to Europe now and the rest of the guys have to get letters of recommendations from nfl teams. Depending on how many of these letters of recommendations you get moves you up the list to go to the combine/workout in florida that the 6 nfl europa teams pick players from. So if one team doesnt flat out pick Dave over their other prospects then a couple of teams have to be interested in you. I think that where its hard to make it. Dave needs to be in the right offense to do well. For example Oakland's offense wouldnt work for him nearly as well as New Englands offense. I would still think Dave will at least be a guarantee for NFL Europe if not the bears roster or practice squad.

PantherRob82
June 23rd, 2007, 06:39 PM
hope to see him get picked up somewhere. when does all the shaekdown happen? August?

UNHFan99
June 23rd, 2007, 07:26 PM
I still think dave will make it. However, the final cuts for NFL teams are Sept 1st. Then they sign their practice squad guys a day or two after that. NfL Europe stuff doesnt happen until around Feb I dont think. Its right after the start of the Arena football season. Their championship game was today. The pay in NFL Europe isnt that good from what I understand alot of players are opting for the Arena league because of the salaries. This might also be the last year for NFL Europa from what I understand.

UNHWildCats
June 23rd, 2007, 08:01 PM
I still think dave will make it. However, the final cuts for NFL teams are Sept 1st. Then they sign their practice squad guys a day or two after that. NfL Europe stuff doesnt happen until around Feb I dont think. Its right after the start of the Arena football season. Their championship game was today. The pay in NFL Europe isnt that good from what I understand alot of players are opting for the Arena league because of the salaries. This might also be the last year for NFL Europa from what I understand.

Actually NFL Europa is planning to add a couple more teams and have 2 4 team divisions with 12 game schedules by 2010.

Most of the players are assigned there by NFL teams thus the players already carry a salary wether as bottom of the roster guys or practice squad guys trying to get more game experience.

UNHFan99
June 23rd, 2007, 09:24 PM
"Yet all the gossip around the league seems to focus on the idea the NFL will drop its commitment to a European league in the interests of saving money."

http://nfl.com/news/story/10230549

This is from the nfl.com website.

The crowds are getting bigger but they are still losing money.

As of this last season each team could only allocate 5 players each and have to write letters of recommendation for the other guys they want. They did this because the amount of guys being allocated was getting rediculous. Teams were allocating any questionable player they might be interested in the future. Yes alot of the players over there have been on rosters, but for example if David Ball gets released before September 1st and doesnt play again until NFL Europa next season he will get the meager pay of NFL Europa and no nfl game checks.

UNHWildCats
June 23rd, 2007, 10:08 PM
"Yet all the gossip around the league seems to focus on the idea the NFL will drop its commitment to a European league in the interests of saving money."

http://nfl.com/news/story/10230549

This is from the nfl.com website.

The crowds are getting bigger but they are still losing money.

As of this last season each team could only allocate 5 players each and have to write letters of recommendation for the other guys they want. They did this because the amount of guys being allocated was getting rediculous. Teams were allocating any questionable player they might be interested in the future. Yes alot of the players over there have been on rosters, but for example if David Ball gets released before September 1st and doesnt play again until NFL Europa next season he will get the meager pay of NFL Europa and no nfl game checks.

If Ball is completely released by the Bears he will not have a hard time getting with another NFL team atleast on a practice squad until hes familar with that teams offense.

UNHFan99
June 23rd, 2007, 10:27 PM
I completly agree with you about Dave. I think he will stay on with the bears anyway. I should have said undrafted free agent in my example instead of being so specific.

UNHFootballAlum
June 24th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Has anyone heard anything about Dave or Corey during the OTA's

TheCatamount
June 25th, 2007, 12:43 AM
I'm cheering for him

WMTribe90
July 3rd, 2007, 05:03 PM
In related news the NFL has canceled the upcoming NFL Europa season sighting huge financial loses. This is bad news for I-AA players trying to work their way into the league. The pressure to make an immediate splash will be greater for this year's crop of rookies.

Mod33
July 3rd, 2007, 05:20 PM
John Elway is going to try tossing the Commissioner of the AFL and try to set the league up as a developmental league for the NFL.

already123
July 3rd, 2007, 06:25 PM
Da bears need all the offensive help they can get....good luck Ball!!

UNHFan99
July 3rd, 2007, 06:37 PM
I really hope the NFL gets a spring developmental league in the states. They could definitelly do it and would also benefit from it. The all american football league is an interesting idea, but i dont think that its gonna work.

www.allamericanfootballleague.com