PDA

View Full Version : W&M @ East Carolina

Sitting Bull
September 19th, 2019, 06:37 AM
W&M will be renewing what was a pivotal old conference rivalry Saturday, game 18 in the series with the East Carolina Pirates. Most of the games were played in the 60s and 70s when the two were usually fighting in the upper echelons of the Southern Conference. Rather than just a 2nd FBS game, many older Tribe fans just see this as another game against an older school rival, a program we have played more than most CAA programs. East Carolina is also one the closest regional teams, FBS or FCS, to W&M.

The two have had many great, competitive games in the series though the best in 1977 featured a lot of added drama, probably the best game in the series. Oddly, W&M never beat ECU in Wiilamsburg. Of the 4 Tribe wins in the series, 3 in Greenville at the 4th, the contest held at the 1977 Oyster Bowl in Norfolk.

For those unfamiliar, Norfolk hosted annually the Oyster Bowl game, a regular season match-up featuring regional teams. The game was sponsored by the Norfolk Shriners and was played at Foreman Field, the stadium now used by ODU (which had no team at the time). Foreman Field then had seating for 28,000 so the match-ups typically featured ACC programs (Duke, NC State and Maryland most often), Navy, Virginia Tech, VMI or nearby W&M. Tribe games at the Oyster Bowl over the years included NC State, Navy, Southern Miss, Virginia Tech, Yale, VMI and the 1977 game with ECU. Norfolk was both close and near equidistant for W&M and ECU, certainly so for the respective fan bases.

This 1977 game came late in the year, mid November. ECU had been flourishing in the 70s and was grasping for their first Bowl game appearance (there weren't that many back then). ECU came into this game at 8-2, with wins over NC State among several impressive wins. I think Pat Dye was their coach then. The rumor was a Peach Bowl invite with a win in the Oyster Bowl. W&M also had a strong program at the time though came in at 5-4, wins over Louisville among them and competeitve losses to Pitt and Virginia Tech.

The game was a near sellout, the Tribe won 21-17 sealed by a late pick. Among the drama though was one of the older, original coaches at ECU who was on the sideline for the game with a sideline pass. Late in the game with W&M trailing, the Tribe QB, Tom Rosantz, running the veer, took off down the sidelines for a 70 yard TD run. As he was running down the sideline, this older coach (don't remember his name) stepped out on this field in his overcoat and attempted to tackle Rosantz, who was able to brush by him for the winning TD.

Just wanted to share as it was one of the memorable games at W&M, not only in this series, though in the Tribes football history overall. It's what makes college football so much fun. Every series can usually find a few dramatic moments.

i expect this 2019 match-up can be just as competitive as previous years. Picking the Tribe since we aren't playing in Williamsburg.

OhioHen
September 19th, 2019, 06:48 AM
If W&M doesn't win on Saturday, a perfect season the rest of the way (which would include a National Championship) might not be enough to get the Tribe to #1 in my final poll.

I live in the Greenville area and ECU is known as EC-Yew in the ESPN Bottom Ten for a reason - they are just that bad. Last week's 42-10 loss to Navy wasn't nearly as competitive as the score makes it appear.

ElCid
September 19th, 2019, 07:16 AM
That's some cool stuff. Nice history lesson. W&M should bolt the CAA and return home to it's roots😆

We played VMI in the Oyster Bowl back in the 80s.

Tribe4SF
September 19th, 2019, 09:28 AM
Sitting Bull has one detail wrong. The retired ECU coach successfully blindsided Rosantz around the 20 taking him down. Refs initially were placing the ball there with a penalty inside the ten, but after conferring awarded W&M a TD. The game was that year's Oyster Bowl played at Foreman Field in Norfolk.

OhioHen
September 19th, 2019, 10:34 AM
W&M should bolt ... and return home to it's roots

Along with 11 current SEC schools and 8 from the ACC.

Dukie95
September 19th, 2019, 11:43 AM
For those unaware, ECU now has the entire JMU coaching staff from the previous three seasons....but turning around this ECU program is a VERY tall order.

OhioHen
September 19th, 2019, 02:07 PM
For those unaware, ECU now has the entire JMU coaching staff from the previous three seasons....but turning around this ECU program is a VERY tall order.

The coaching staff only has one year of their own recruits in place. Give it a couple more recruiting classes. ECU already got some athletes they would have previously lost to JMU in the recent past in that first class.

Sitting Bull
September 19th, 2019, 08:17 PM
Found this in the Norfolk Pilot archives on Foreman Field and Oyster Bowl history

It was one of the most bizarre moments in college football history.

William & Mary quarterback Tom Rozantz took off on an option run and appeared headed for the game-winning touchdown against East Carolina late in the third quarter of the 1977 Oyster Bowl. When Rozantz got to the 2-yard line, Jim Johnson seemed to come out of nowhere and pounded him in the stomach with a jarring, shoulder-first tackle.

inRead invented by Teads (https://hp.teads.com/?utm_source=inread&utm_medium=credits&utm_campaign=invented%20by%20teads)

ADVERTISING

"I hit him low and I hit him a good one," Johnson said at the time.

But Johnson wasn't an ECU defender. He was a 65-year-old Virginia Beach resident who was walking the sidelines as a spectator. A former ECU head football coach and athletic director, he said he could not bear the thought of his beloved Pirates losing.

Impulsively, he ran onto the field, and made a tackle that was replayed for years on national television.

"What could I do?

"I knew (he) was going to score," Johnson said, using an expletive.

Rozantz scored anyway, and the Tribe won, 21-17, to knock ECU out of a bowl game.

It wasn't pretty, but it created some lasting memories for the 20,000 people watching at Foreman Field. Much the same thing could be said for the venerable stadium, which was constructed in the midst of the Depression and has hosted thousands of games and millions of fans but has never been a thing of beauty.

Fans and officials alike have criticized Foreman Field for more than half a century for its lack of creature comforts and limited seating. Yet it has a rich and often underappreciated history.

inRead invented by Teads (https://hp.teads.com/?utm_source=inread&utm_medium=credits&utm_campaign=invented%20by%20teads)

ADVERTISING

Some of college and pro football's most well-known names played there, and during its heyday in the 1950s and 1960s, it attracted some of the nation's best college football teams.

gofurman
September 19th, 2019, 11:12 PM
Found this in the Norfolk Pilot archives on Foreman Field and Oyster Bowl history

It was one of the most bizarre moments in college football history.

William & Mary quarterback Tom Rozantz took off on an option run and appeared headed for the game-winning touchdown against East Carolina late in the third quarter of the 1977 Oyster Bowl. When Rozantz got to the 2-yard line, Jim Johnson seemed to come out of nowhere and pounded him in the stomach with a jarring, shoulder-first tackle.

inRead (https://hp.teads.com/?utm_source=inread&utm_medium=credits&utm_campaign=invented%20by%20teads)

invented by Teads (https://hp.teads.com/?utm_source=inread&utm_medium=credits&utm_campaign=invented%20by%20teads)

ADVERTISING

"I hit him low and I hit him a good one," Johnson said at the time.

But Johnson wasn't an ECU defender. He was a 65-year-old Virginia Beach resident who was walking the sidelines as a spectator. A former ECU head football coach and athletic director, he said he could not bear the thought of his beloved Pirates losing.

Impulsively, he ran onto the field, and made a tackle that was replayed for years on national television.

"What could I do?

"I knew (he) was going to score," Johnson said, using an expletive.

Rozantz scored anyway, and the Tribe won, 21-17, to knock ECU out of a bowl game.

It wasn't pretty, but it created some lasting memories for the 20,000 people watching at Foreman Field. Much the same thing could be said for the venerable stadium, which was constructed in the midst of the Depression and has hosted thousands of games and millions of fans but has never been a thing of beauty.

Fans and officials alike have criticized Foreman Field for more than half a century for its lack of creature comforts and limited seating. Yet it has a rich and often underappreciated history.

inRead (https://hp.teads.com/?utm_source=inread&utm_medium=credits&utm_campaign=invented%20by%20teads)

invented by Teads (https://hp.teads.com/?utm_source=inread&utm_medium=credits&utm_campaign=invented%20by%20teads)

ADVERTISING

Some of college and pro football's most well-known names played there, and during its heyday in the 1950s and 1960s, it attracted some of the nation's best college football teams.

Sounds a lot like Woody Hayes Ohio State punching the Clemson player because Hayes couldn’t stand to lose. But Hayes was the current coach ! And I think that basically got him fired. might be wrong on that count ? Not sure.

video evidence. https://m.facebook.com/logged_out/watch/?video_id=304338050205426&refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F&_rdr

hktribefan
September 20th, 2019, 12:40 AM
This is as winnable of an FBS game as we've had in awhile; still need a lot of things to go right for that to happen. Just have to not shoot ourselves with dumb mistakes.

Sitting Bull
September 21st, 2019, 05:43 PM
Pirates drive on opening possession for TD.

Tribe with ball starting Q2 down 7-0 after stopping ECU on next two possessions.

Sitting Bull
September 21st, 2019, 06:01 PM
Tribe TD, 7-7. Mid Q2.

Sitting Bull
September 21st, 2019, 08:46 PM
19-7 final, ECU. Mathis out 2H, Tribe couldn't sustain drives.