PDA

View Full Version : Incarnate Word @SHSU

Daytripper
September 18th, 2019, 09:07 AM
This is not a sexy match up, but it very well may determine the fate of both squads. If Incarnate Word wins in Huntsville, it shows last year wasn't a fluke. If the Bearkats can come away with a victory, they may be able to salvage the season.

Outsider1
September 18th, 2019, 09:23 AM
I agree with you Daytripper, that is exactly what was going through my mind. Both of you guys could end up playing very well though and it just ends up being a great battle. I think this is an interesting match up for the SLC in general. We have been discussing the SLC on our thread and trying to gauge its growth.

Daytripper
September 18th, 2019, 09:31 AM
I agree with you Daytripper, that is exactly what was going through my mind. Both of you guys could end up playing very well though and it just ends up being a great battle. I think this is an interesting match up for the SLC in general. We have been discussing the SLC on our thread and trying to gauge its growth.

I believe the Southland overall is much better than in the past few years. There are more good teams at the top and HBU beat an FCS out of conference foe.

F'N Hawks
September 18th, 2019, 09:32 AM
This is not a sexy match up, but it very well may determine the fate of both squads. If Incarnate Word wins in Huntsville, it shows last year wasn't a fluke. If the Bearkats can come away with a victory, they may be able to salvage the season.

SHSU is a 17 point favorite. Haven't heard much about UIW this year - are they as good as last year's playoff team?

Daytripper
September 18th, 2019, 09:35 AM
SHSU is a 17 point favorite. Haven't heard much about UIW this year - are they as good as last year's playoff team?

That's the thing. Nobody really knows what The Word is yet.... They lost to UTSA and beat Texas Southern.

Outsider1
September 18th, 2019, 09:36 AM

They haven't proven they are as good yet. I haven't seen enough to really know for sure though. HBU and SLU have been the surprises for me. I think SHSU should be favored in this one. I still think they are better balanced.

McCowboys
September 18th, 2019, 09:54 AM
The odds makers have Northwestern a 3-point favorite over HBU at HBU. Can NSU outscore the Huskies? I don't think anyone can figure out the SLC at this point. It may come down to the last weekend for anyone to be sure of anything. For sure, UIW is not going to sneak up on anyone this year.

SpreadTheWord
September 18th, 2019, 10:03 AM
I haven't been very impressed with our defense these first two games. Can't get off the field on 3rd downs and giving up too many explosive plays in the secondary. Offensively we couldn't find our rhythm against UTSA but looked sharp against Texas Southern. Kicking game sucks. Overall I think it's too early to tell what UIW is at this point. They definitely have the ability to be better than last year's playoff team. We have a very young defense, especially in the secondary so it'll be interesting to see how well those guys develop over the course of the season.

Daytripper
September 18th, 2019, 10:06 AM
I haven't been very impressed with our defense these first two games. Can't get off the field on 3rd downs and giving up too many explosive plays in the secondary. Offensively we couldn't find our rhythm against UTSA but looked sharp against Texas Southern. Kicking game sucks. Overall I think it's too early to tell what UIW is at this point. They definitely have the ability to be better than last year's playoff team. We have a very young defense, especially in the secondary so it'll be interesting to see how well those guys develop over the course of the season.

The Sam Houston offense will make your defense look like the '85 Chicago Bears....

Daytripper
September 18th, 2019, 10:09 AM
The odds makers have Northwestern a 3-point favorite over HBU at HBU. Can NSU outscore the Huskies? I don't think anyone can figure out the SLC at this point. It may come down to the last weekend for anyone to be sure of anything. For sure, UIW is not going to sneak up on anyone this year.

I just don't see NWST winning that game. Of course, HBU could have a let down after their "signature" road win...

POD Knows
September 18th, 2019, 10:57 AM
SHSU is dead to me so I picked them, good luck winning this game.

McNeese75
September 18th, 2019, 02:48 PM
Northwestern is gonna get beat like a tied up goat by the Huskies xnodx

Katfan
September 18th, 2019, 06:00 PM
Northwestern is gonna get beat like a tied up goat by the Huskies xnodx
Maybe a few others

Puddin Tane
September 19th, 2019, 02:49 AM
May be one of those “whoever has the ball last” games

McNeese75
September 19th, 2019, 09:06 AM
Maybe a few others

unfortunatley, that is probably very true

Daytripper
September 19th, 2019, 02:58 PM
May be one of those “whoever has the ball last” games

I would agree with this, although if it ends up being a blowout it will be the UIW blowing out the Bearkats and not the other way around.

F'N Hawks
September 19th, 2019, 03:19 PM
I would agree with this, although if it ends up being a blowout it will be the UIW blowing out the Bearkats and not the other way around.

I do think a big variable is how team's defend the Bearkats down there. If they play man-to-man and chase receivers around the field all game it will work well for you. The zone stuff UND did really confused Brock/Schmid and threw off timing.

Not sure how Southland defenses typically play.

Outsider1
September 19th, 2019, 04:25 PM
I do think a big variable is how team's defend the Bearkats down there. If they play man-to-man and chase receivers around the field all game it will work well for you. The zone stuff UND did really confused Brock/Schmid and threw off timing.

Not sure how Southland defenses typically play.

If you've played SDSU you know how our defense plays...

Katfan
September 19th, 2019, 05:35 PM
Don’t worry Keeler has figured out why he’s a bad coach and won’t let it happen again!

Daytripper
September 20th, 2019, 04:19 PM
About 16 hours left to choose a winner...

Daytripper
September 22nd, 2019, 08:33 AM
Well, that was a pleasant surprise.

McCowboys
September 22nd, 2019, 09:23 AM
Well, that was a pleasant surprise.

Not for your next week's opponent! xbawlingx

Serpentor
September 22nd, 2019, 09:58 AM

This ended up being a delightful prediction. :P