PDA

View Full Version : Running up the score comments and complaints?? How do you view it?

Pages : [1] 2

BisonBacker
September 15th, 2019, 12:20 PM
This comment/complaint isn't new and has been discussed at times in the past when the sensibilities of some fans, players or coaches have complained about another team scoring in "Garbage Time" or "after the games already been decided" comments are tossed out there. There can be any number of variables in this discussion ie. were the starters on either side of the ball still in for either team? Were backups scoring or being scored on? What I find interesting in this whole debate is if you look back in history to as some would say a more civilized time where respect and honor or good sportsmanship was part of sports. We've all heard comments about how the game has changed for some the better and others claim the worse. But look at scores from many years ago when sportsmanship was part of all sports. People didn't make a production out of scoring like many in professional sports do nowadays. Endzone dances and productions, Bat tossing after a homerun ect. Yet you look at many of the scores from games of yesteryear and you see scores routinely where the winning team wins by 50+ points. I doubt very much that the losing teams players, coaches and fans decried "running up the score" I sure don't recall reading anything about it.

Is this trend of decrying "running up the score" part of the society that we live in where "Everyone gets a participation trophy" or is it something else? Many say "Win with class" and others say "if you don't like it then stop the other team from scoring".

This debate popped up again after yesterdays NDSU at Delaware game. Is it poor sportsmanship? Is it part of the game and don't whine about it? Why was it ok all those years ago for scores to be so lopsided? Do you think people complained then as they do now?

Where do you fall in this debate?

JSUSoutherner
September 15th, 2019, 12:21 PM
If they can't stop your offense that's their problem.

TheKingpin28
September 15th, 2019, 12:22 PM
If you respect your opponent, you play to the final whistle, it's that simple.

Professor Chaos
September 15th, 2019, 12:29 PM
Depends on the situation. I don't feel bad for Delaware when they're funded at the top of the subdivision and have a full complement of scholarships for the FCS level. If NDSU would've did the same thing to Butler I would've been a lot more uneasy seeing my team do something like that.

That said I can see the criticism for NDSU running a fake FG up 3 scores with under 2 minutes to go in the game. There are plausible "excuses" for it but it's still not the best look. I didn't think it was a good look for SDSU when they beat Arkansas-Pine Bluff 90-6 last year either so I've got to admit it when the shoe's on the other foot too.

GoBlueHens83
September 15th, 2019, 12:29 PM
I thought it was kind of crappy yesterday up 3 scores with something like 2 minutes left in the game to fake a Field Goal. Either kick the field goal, or just keep your offense on the field and go for it on 4th down. I think the trick play felt cheap coming from a great team that most UD fans really respected.

At the end of the day it's on you to stop your opponent, and if you don't, there's no one to blame but yourself. In this case it felt cheap and unnecessary when you clearly had your opponent beat.

This doesn't change my opinion of NDSU in one bit though.

ElCid
September 15th, 2019, 12:31 PM
It all depends. If a coach thinks he needs his starters to get the work, oh well. If he thinks his back ups need the work, and they score easily, oh well. The only time I would even raise an eyebrow is if a team is up by a bundle, sitting on the 10 yard line with a minute to go and they go hog wild trying to score when they could just take a knee and head out. If it happens, naturally, in the course of running a play, oh well. But doing the double reverse, halfback pass with 30 seconds remaining? Not cool. This of course is not applicable to us if we are playing say, Furman or Wofford. Then I say hang as many points as possible on them.:D

Lorne_Malvo
September 15th, 2019, 12:51 PM
Play to the final whistle. If your team doesn't like it tough. Just forfeit the game and head to the locker room.
Everyone whines about the pussification of football then cries about a couple of points.

da_Bison
September 15th, 2019, 12:56 PM
What I saw Notre Dame do yesterday, poor sportsmanship, NDSU not as much, I think we should have just gone for it on 4th down without the fake. Think Entz was a little frustrated with the D getting lackadaisical

Buffalo Roam
September 15th, 2019, 01:03 PM
Entz said on his TV show this morning that if they saw Delaware give a certain look that they had noticed on film the kicker or holder (don't remember for sure which) had been given the permission earlier in the week to call for the fake. Delaware gave the look and the player made the call.

taper
September 15th, 2019, 01:08 PM
There's a lot more season remaining. I see it as an opportunity to test plays against a solid team. You can bet our future opponents will be watching game tape, this gives them something else to look out for. It might even be a sign of respect to Delaware that we want to try things against a real opponent in game conditions.

BisonFan02
September 15th, 2019, 01:11 PM
Entz openly said after game 1 that he was going to put things on film and make opponents defend every play. See the 2 point conversion against Butler for example. Anyone care to guess the last time the Bison did a fake of ANY kind prior to that? 2011 and the fake punt against SHSU....this is the one slight culture change I've seen. Beyond that....get over it. NDSU was running the ball....stop them.

KPSUL
September 15th, 2019, 01:12 PM
No complaints. Except when JMU does it, then it pisses me the H_ LL off!

MR. CHICKEN
September 15th, 2019, 01:14 PM
It all depends. If a coach thinks he needs his starters to get the work, oh well. If he thinks his back ups need the work, and they score easily, oh well. The only time I would even raise an eyebrow is if a team is up by a bundle, sitting on the 10 yard line with a minute to go and they go hog wild trying to score when they could just take a knee and head out. If it happens, naturally, in the course of running a play, oh well. But doing the double reverse, halfback pass with 30 seconds remaining? Not cool. This of course is not applicable to us if we are playing say, Furman or Wofford. Then I say hang as many points as possible on them.:D

.......WOODAH HAD NO PROB......WHIFF BIZON FRESHMAN'S....FG TRY....CAN UNDERSTAND....GETTIN' EXPERIENCE.......BUT NOT UH FAKE..18..POINTS UP.....UNDER TWO MIN....DEEP IN HEN TERRITORY.....WHEN TRUTH BE TOLD.....BIZONSSSSS......COODAH RAN /PASSED....FO' 1st DOWN ANY-WHO..........DAT WAS......UH RUB YER BEAK IN IT..........AN'...WHAA......RUN OFFENSE....WHIFF SECOND STRING QB....IFIN' YER REALLY THREATENED....BAH....BLUEBIRDS.....SUPPOSED......W HITE KNUCKLE COME-BACK....C'MON COACH....xconfusedx......BRAWK!

....NOT GONNA.....LET IT MAR.... GAME DAY EXPERIENCE....WHIFF BEST TEAM...IN DIVISION......AWK!

Hammerhead
September 15th, 2019, 01:16 PM
Just don’t complain when the backups are scoring at the end of the game.

Paladin1aa
September 15th, 2019, 01:19 PM
Depends. If game is clearly in hand and the subs are in, stop them. If game is in hand and starters are still in and you are throwing deep or running rough shod over them, you are classless and running up the score. Ideally, when game is out of hand, 4th qtr, it’s time for the subs. If they score doing their thing, so be it.

Preferred Walk-On
September 15th, 2019, 01:23 PM
I thought it was kind of crappy yesterday up 3 scores with something like 2 minutes left in the game to fake a Field Goal. Either kick the field goal, or just keep your offense on the field and go for it on 4th down. I think the trick play felt cheap coming from a great team that most UD fans really respected.

At the end of the day it's on you to stop your opponent, and if you don't, there's no one to blame but yourself. In this case it felt cheap and unnecessary when you clearly had your opponent beat.

My opinion is that if you want to put something on film just so that other teams need to prepare for it, then do it earlier in the game when the outcome is still somewhat in doubt. If it is on the kicker/holder seeing a specific look, it does not seem difficult for the special teams/head coach to say "no audibles, just kick it". Besides, the Bison need more practice on FGs than fake FGs. Not necessarily unsportsmanlike, but definitely unnecessary.

BisonFan02
September 15th, 2019, 01:26 PM
Just don’t complain when the backups are scoring at the end of the game.

After the fake, NDSU RB Clark is either 4th or 5th on the depth chart and fighting for a roster spot. You think this guy is gonna go down without a fight?

BisonFan02
September 15th, 2019, 01:27 PM
My opinion is that if you want to put something on film just so that other teams need to prepare for it, then do it earlier in the game when the outcome is still somewhat in doubt. If it is on the kicker/holder seeing a specific look, it does not seem difficult for the special teams/head coach to say "no audibles, just kick it". Besides, the Bison need more practice on FGs than fake FGs. Not necessarily unsportsmanlike, but definitely unnecessary.

In this case, you dont do it earlier if the Bison special teams dont get the look where it would work. It was a judgement call on the field.

ElCid
September 15th, 2019, 01:27 PM
.......WOODAH HAD NO PROB......WHIFF BIZON FRESHMAN'S....FG TRY....CAN UNDERSTAND....GETTIN' EXPERIENCE.......BUT NOT UH FAKE..18..POINTS UP.....UNDER TWO MIN....DEEP IN HEN TERRITORY.....WHEN TRUTH BE TOLD.....BIZONSSSSS......COODAH RAN /PASSED....FO' 1st DOWN ANY-WHO..........DAT WAS......UH RUB YER BEAK IN IT..........AN'...WHAA......RUN OFFENSE....WHIFF SECOND STRING QB....IFIN' YER REALLY THREATENED....BAH....BLUEBIRDS.....SUPPOSED......W HITE KNUCKLE COME-BACK....C'MON COACH....xconfusedx......BRAWK

I get it. I didn't watch it so I can't speak to it knowledgeably, but a fake in that kind of situation does seem a little over the top on its face. But folks have brought up good points as to motivation. If they hadn't tried a fake in a long time, best to practice it against a good opponent with game in hand. Just the flip side. Since we really don't know what was in the coaches mind, it really is just speculation as to the true sportsmanship of it. When teams make a habit of it, I think it would be more easily viewed as bad sportsmanship.

I will say, I have seen FBS teams do it in close games so they don't look as bad, especially against FCS teams. Or they are going for the safe margin in the computers for their end of season playoff possibilities.

uni88
September 15th, 2019, 01:30 PM
I voted other because I think it varies based on the situation.

I thought it was a dick move for NDSU to fake the kick. There was no need to rub salt in the wound with that play at that point in time. I understand if it was something that they had set to use if UD gave them a certain look but I think the coach should be a man and take responsibility in the presser for not letting his team know that that play was no longer needed.

I had absolutely no problem last year when NDSU scored a bazillion points on UNI in the fourth quarter. They had backup RBs in who had a chance to score a TD and took it. NDSU did the classy thing by playing their backups and those backups made the most of their opportunities.

NDSU has a well deserved reputation for being a classy program. That was not a classy move but it remains to be seen whether it was an outlier or a sign of things to come.

And I hate the "if you don't like it, then stop it" argument. Not because it isn't true but because if the Hens could have stopped the Bison they would have been doing it earlier. When a game is over and your opponent is embarrassing you, you get angry, try harder and you might play a split second longer and/or hit an inch or so lower. As a coach, I wouldn't want to put my players at greater risk of injury because I was being a dick.

Bisonator
September 15th, 2019, 01:30 PM
I wouldn't call an 18 point lead or a 47-22 win running up the score. JFC you play to win the game! Now 90-6 is another story, but if you got your backups in and just running it and the other team can't stop it that's on them. Get better or don't schedule out of your league games.

GoBlueHens83
September 15th, 2019, 01:31 PM
After the fake, NDSU RB Clark is either 4th or 5th on the depth chart and fighting for a roster spot. You think this guy is gonna go down without a fight?

No one is saying that they shouldn't be trying to score. I don't think there would have been any discussion about this if they had just kept the O on the field and went for it or kicked the field goal. People are 100% taking issue with calling a fake field goal in that situation.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 15th, 2019, 01:34 PM
If they can't stop your offense that's their problem.

This here.

- - - Updated - - -

If you respect your opponent, you play to the final whistle, it's that simple.

This here also.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 15th, 2019, 01:35 PM
No one is saying that they shouldn't be trying to score. I don't think there would have been any discussion about this if they had just kept the O on the field and went for it or kicked the field goal. People are 100% taking issue with calling a fake field goal in that situation.

As mentioned the holder saw an opening from film study and made the call. No problem with it.

MR. CHICKEN
September 15th, 2019, 01:36 PM

....WOODN'T EXPECT DUH KID TA NOT.....GIVE IT HIS ALL.......IT'S DUH FACT......IT WAS ON UH FAKE FG........AN' TO DOSE WHO THINK COACH WAS....ALERTIN' FUTURE TEAMS KNOW.....FAKE FG IS IN DUH ARSENAL.....WELL UH 120+ FCS TEAMS HAVE IT IN DUH PLAYBOOK.......RIGHT NEXT TA.....FAKE PUNT....ON-SIDE KICK......PHILLY SPECIAL......AN' ANY NUMBERAH....UH CIRCUS PLAYS.....DESIGNED....TA STUN YOUSE....INTA LOSIN' GAMES....xrolleyesx........BRAWK!

ElCid
September 15th, 2019, 01:37 PM
I wouldn't call an 18 point lead or a 47-22 win running up the score. JFC you play to win the game! Now 90-6 is another story, but if you got your backups in and just running it and the other team can't stop it that's on them. Get better or don't schedule out of your league games.

Yeah, this. I have seen a lot of points scored quickly. How many points is too many? Ask the teams that blow 21 point 4th quarter leads. Definitely some situational ethics involved here.

GoBlueHens83
September 15th, 2019, 01:39 PM
As mentioned the holder saw an opening from film study and made the call. No problem with it.

I'm sorry but this is BS.

As mentioned by one of the other Bison fans earlier in this thread, all the ST coach or Head Coach had to do was say, just kick it.

It's pretty easy for a fan of a team on a 24 game winning streak to say they have no problem with this. But when your team is clearly superior to your opponent, there are just some things you don't do, and I think this is one of those situations. But hey, that's just my opinion.

GoBlueHens83
September 15th, 2019, 01:40 PM
Yeah, this. I have seen a lot of points scored quickly. How many points is too many? Ask the teams that blow 21 point 4th quarter leads. Definitely some situational ethics involved here.

There was less than 2 minutes left.

Milktruck74
September 15th, 2019, 01:46 PM
I guess it depends if my team is running it up of getting run up on....HA

I don't think it is my OCs job to stop my team from scoring...Now, it may be a good time to get reps with backups or work on the ground game.

Yesterday UT was up 38-0 and was trying to block a punt, I didn't have an issue with that, they may have needed to work on their blocks....But they also went for it on 4th down 3 times....that isa bit much!!!!

ElCid
September 15th, 2019, 01:49 PM
There was less than 2 minutes left.

No, I know. I was speaking in general and not that specific instance. I should have specified.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 15th, 2019, 01:52 PM
I'm sorry but this is BS.

As mentioned by one of the other Bison fans earlier in this thread, all the ST coach or Head Coach had to do was say, just kick it.

It's pretty easy for a fan of a team on a 24 game winning streak to say they have no problem with this. But when your team is clearly superior to your opponent, there are just some things you don't do, and I think this is one of those situations. But hey, that's just my opinion.

Call it whatever you want to. Football is 4 quarters, not 3. Maybe next time NDSU could take a knee for the whole 4th quarter.

uni88
September 15th, 2019, 01:53 PM
How would many of the Bison faithful would be reacting if the shoe was on the other foot?

ElCid
September 15th, 2019, 01:54 PM
How would many of the Bison faithful would be reacting if the shoe was on the other foot?

Not sure they know where that foot is lately. But this too shall pass...in time.

Bison56
September 15th, 2019, 01:56 PM
If they left the O out and got the first, the same people would be crying they didnt kick a FG.

Lorne_Malvo
September 15th, 2019, 01:57 PM
I voted other because I think it varies based on the situation.

I thought it was a dick move for NDSU to fake the kick. There was no need to rub salt in the wound with that play at that point in time. I understand if it was something that they had set to use if UD gave them a certain look but I think the coach should be a man and take responsibility in the presser for not letting his team know that that play was no longer needed.

I had absolutely no problem last year when NDSU scored a bazillion points on UNI in the fourth quarter. They had backup RBs in who had a chance to score a TD and took it. NDSU did the classy thing by playing their backups and those backups made the most of their opportunities.

NDSU has a well deserved reputation for being a classy program. That was not a classy move but it remains to be seen whether it was an outlier or a sign of things to come.

And I hate the "if you don't like it, then stop it" argument. Not because it isn't true but because if the Hens could have stopped the Bison they would have been doing it earlier. When a game is over and your opponent is embarrassing you, you get angry, try harder and you might play a split second longer and/or hit an inch or so lower. As a coach, I wouldn't want to put my players at greater risk of injury because I was being a dick.

What was your opinion when UNI put 62 points on hapless Northern Michigan without giving up a single point.
Sounds like a bitch move to me.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 15th, 2019, 02:01 PM

NDSU got curb stomped by Cal Poly in 05. Cal Poly was ahead 30-6 and scored late in the 4th quarter to make it 37-6. I suppose CP should have taken a knee the whole 4th quarter...

GoBlueHens83
September 15th, 2019, 02:04 PM
If they left the O out and got the first, the same people would be crying they didnt kick a FG.

I wouldn't at all.

Again it was the trick play that really rubbed people the wrong way.

I know that I would be pretty pissed if Rocco did the same thing to an opponent we clearly had beat with that little time left in the game.

TheKingpin28
September 15th, 2019, 02:04 PM

I'd be mad that the Bison played like ****. It's that simple. Not the fault of these kids doing what they have to do, to see the field and continue to get valuable reps.

BEAR
September 15th, 2019, 02:14 PM
I think it depends on who is doing the scoring. If your team is up 35 points and you are playing second and third string guys and they can't help but score because the other team is so inept at stopping them then I think it's alright. If there are 5 minutes left in the game and you are up 42 points or so and your first string QB is slinging it to your all American WRs and scoring at will I gotta ask why. Sure you CAN do it but is it really important that you do? I've seen my Bears on both sides of that scenario and I harbor no distaste for the teams that did it but as I get older I look at it like it's really not that important to do. Doesn't impress anyone and no one will remember it much after you do it.

Bisonator
September 15th, 2019, 02:16 PM
I'd be pissed at my team for not being better.

I'd think hen fans would be more pissed at their coach and program than that stupid fake fg we ran but that's the difference between the fan bases at this point. We demand excellence and they obviously worry about other teams embarrassing them. Kind of sad for them.xcoffeex

kdinva
September 15th, 2019, 02:17 PM
.... I would be pretty pissed if Rocco did the same thing to an opponent we clearly had beat.....

once when Coach Rocco was at Liberty, the Flames were leading VMI by 42 in the 4th quarter, and Rocco still had Rashaad Jennings running the ball, and their QB throwing the ball 30 yards downfield....

GoBlueHens83
September 15th, 2019, 02:19 PM
once when Coach Rocco was at Liberty, the Flames were leading VMI by 42 in the 4th quarter, and Rocco still had Rashaad Jennings running the ball, and their QB throwing the ball 30 yards downfield....

Yeah, that's not a good look. I'd be mad about it and I think VMI fans would have every right to be mad too.

uni88
September 15th, 2019, 02:29 PM
What was your opinion when UNI put 62 points on hapless Northern Michigan without giving up a single point.

Did you even read my entire post before your hackles went up?

I don't remember the Northern Michigan game but it depends on who does the scoring. I have not problem with 2nd and 3rd stringers scoring when they have the opportunity.

I do think it was a dick move to run a trick play with the game in garbage time. It's my opinion and you have every right to disagree with it but that doesn't make it any less valid than yours.

uni88
September 15th, 2019, 02:34 PM
NDSU got curb stomped by Cal Poly in 05. Cal Poly was ahead 30-6 and scored late in the 4th quarter to make it 37-6. I suppose CP should have taken a knee the whole 4th quarter...

Apples to Oranges. Who scored the TD? Running an unnecessary trick play is different than 2nd and 3rd stringers scoring in garbage time.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 15th, 2019, 02:38 PM
Apples to Oranges. Who scored the TD? Running an unnecessary trick play is different than 2nd and 3rd stringers scoring in garbage time.

Unnecessary to get the 1st down and run the clock out? Did NDSU score on that "trick play".....xrolleyesx

semobison
September 15th, 2019, 02:47 PM
I wouldn't at all.

Again it was the trick play that really rubbed people the wrong way.

I know that I would be pretty pissed if Rocco did the same thing to an opponent we clearly had beat with that little time left in the game.

Here's the deal. I don't think NDSU was intent on scoring after the fake FG. I think they wanted to run out the clock and keep the defense off the field considering the problems they had late in the game. The play after the fake was a run by the #4 RB on our depth chart between the tackles that went for 20 and a TD. Delaware should have stopped it if they didn't want to get scored on...again!

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 15th, 2019, 02:55 PM
Here's the deal. I don't think NDSU was intent on scoring after the fake FG. I think they wanted to run out the clock and keep the defense off the field considering the problems they had late in the game. The play after the fake was a run by the #4 RB on our depth chart between the tackles that went for 20 and a TD. Delaware should have stopped it if they didn't want to get scored on...again!

I don't agree with you on much of anything, esp in the politics section but this I do.

Good post!

Bison56
September 15th, 2019, 02:56 PM

Exactly what they were doing.

semobison
September 15th, 2019, 03:04 PM
I don't agree with you on much of anything, esp in the politics section but this I do.

Good post!

If everyone only liked white cars that's all we would see on the road!xthumbsupx

MSUBobcat
September 15th, 2019, 03:12 PM
Running a fake FG with the game already decided is a dick move. Those saying that it gives future opponents something else to think about... A) as, the Chicken mentioned, everyone already knows teams have fake FG plays and B) why would you what to give future opponents GAME FILM of what your fake FG looks like?? Isn't the whole point of a trick play that the opponent doesn't know about it? As to "wanting to try it against a quality opponent", I would postulate that a team in a position like Delaware doesn't consider a fake as a possibility and therefore aren't defending against it, so you don't really learn anything about it effectiveness. A team up big late in the game could probably convert a high % of fake FGs unless you have a reputation for doing such things. Like others, I have no issue with lining up and imposing your will and forcing them to stop you, but to be sneaky about it is in poor taste. Just my opinion.

BisonBacker
September 15th, 2019, 03:21 PM
An interesting observation. Looking at the poll only 2 people called it an outright "Dick Move" but in the comments many more are calling it that. Hmmmmm

SUPharmacist
September 15th, 2019, 03:44 PM
I didn't like it. Would have preferred they just went for it. As far as putting it on film for opponents that seems like a BS excuse. Klieman didn't seem to use trick plays at all, and it seemed like Bohl saved them for impactful times (just practice it all season). I do not disagree with the sentiment "if you don't like, it stop it," but if you are going to do this you better be prepared for others to do it to you or run up the score if given the chance (and you better not complain when it happens).

93henfan
September 15th, 2019, 03:47 PM
It was a dick move. Up three touchdowns, under two minutes, and you call a fake FG. It's a dick move, pure and simple. There's no need to try to defend it.

But who cares? We were going to lose anyway, and NDSU has no peers at this level. They can do what they want to do. If they want to be dicks, like they did yesterday, that's their prerogative.

If I was a head coach, I wouldn't do that to an opponent. Ever.

Unless it was the Dallas Cowboys. F*** them.

BisonFan02
September 15th, 2019, 03:49 PM
If I'm a Delaware fan, I'd be way more concerned about the swath of empty seats and the disparity of talent than a supposed "running up the score" in what ended up only being a 25 point win with backups in the game.

uni88
September 15th, 2019, 03:51 PM
An interesting observation. Looking at the poll only 2 people called it an outright "Dick Move" but in the comments many more are calling it that. Hmmmmm

Running up the score is extremely broad and could cover a lot of different situations some of which might be "Dick Moves" and some that might not. A fake FG with a 3 score lead and less than 2 minutes left is more specific.

93henfan
September 15th, 2019, 03:52 PM
If I'm a Delaware fan, I'd be way more concerned about the swath of empty seats and the disparity of talent than a supposed "running up the score" in what ended up only being a 25 point win with backups in the game.

Oh gee, we've never heard this before! Thanks for pointing it out.

News flash, we last averaged over 22K in 2005 and it's been headed downward ever since. The causes have been documented here in the past decade ad nauseam. In summary: we had a University President intent on killing football, and the football program outlasted him, barely. Now we're trying to get back.

GoBlueHens83
September 15th, 2019, 03:55 PM

We are well aware of both of these issues, they aren't a recent problem.

I also never accused NDSU of running up the score. I simply pointed out that running trick plays that late in the game rightfully leaves a bad taste in peoples mouths, and I don't seem to be the only one that feels that way. Kick the FG or keep the O on the field and go for it.

BisonTru
September 15th, 2019, 03:58 PM
Is it a dick move? Yes.

Was it a call made by a 19-20 yo kid who was told to call the fake if they gave the given look? Also, yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BisonBacker
September 15th, 2019, 04:02 PM
Running up the score is extremely broad and could cover a lot of different situations some of which might be "Dick Moves" and some that might not. A fake FG with a 3 score lead and less than 2 minutes left is more specific.

I understand that and it's why I put the third option. But reading these comments in the thread shows multiple "dick move" comments yet only 2 voted as such.

I also find it interesting that not one person has addressed the historical perspective on scoring. All one has to do is go back and look at scores from games back 40-50 or more years ago (in some cases not that far back either) to find huge score discprencies yet I don't ever recall hearing one person ever say that man those coaches were real dick's or assholes.
Here's a list of some interesting scores.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_100-point_games_in_college_football

BisonFan02
September 15th, 2019, 04:03 PM
There's also a good group of Bison fans that get annoyed with NDSU letting their foot off the gas and sleep walking in games like this too.

Let's say they lined up and went for it on 4th down...does Delaware stop them anyway?

caribbeanhen
September 15th, 2019, 04:03 PM
Call it whatever you want to. Football is 4 quarters, not 3. Maybe next time NDSU could take a knee for the whole 4th quarter.

Sorry but this is BS

deflection at it's best as nobody is against trying to score points or asking anyone to take a knee, that would be more embarrassing... play the game

all you had to do was run the sweep, go outside....Hens had no chance to stop it.... why get cute in that situation ?

BisonBacker
September 15th, 2019, 04:06 PM
Personally I think we live in an era of pussification. You want to play football but you want it to be a gentleman's game I guess. Maybe some of you ought to take up Chess and give up football. This wasn't a 100-0 beatdown.

93henfan
September 15th, 2019, 04:08 PM
Up three touchdowns, under 2 minutes, fake FG.

It's not pussification to expect a team that has won 7 of the past 8 championships to not pull a trick play in that situation.

JSUSoutherner
September 15th, 2019, 04:10 PM

It's not pussification to expect a team that has won 7 of the past 8 championships to not pull a trick play in that situation.

Honestly from what I've seen of Entz so far this season the guy is a savage.

Did NDSU have their starters in at the end of the game?

BisonFan02
September 15th, 2019, 04:15 PM
This is just ho-hum...in a game that was 40-16, Delaware scores a TD with 6 min left....then goes for 2. For whatever reason after, they kick it deep instead of onside. NDSU then takes it....9 plays, 8 on the ground (I'm more annoyed about throwing it on 3rd and 5 than the fake) for a TD running 4:14 off the clock. Delaware gets it back and basically runs the rest out. Game over. Anything beyond that is just ****ing sour grapes. I'd rather Entz coach with more of an edge than worrying about an opponent's feelings. Was the fake necessary, probably not. Does it warrant a thread and all this crying. **** no.

BisonTru

No we didn’t.

BisonFan02

No.

BisonBacker
September 15th, 2019, 04:19 PM

WTF does past championhips have to do with this? This is a new coach and coaching staff, new players not to mention backups to backups that were in the game at the end. Does the committee who votes on placement in the playoffs say oh lets just give NDSU the #1 ranking because aww schucks they've won 7 of the last 8? I don't think so. You can make up all the excuses you want to but in the end it doesn't matter. Line up your players and stop them fake or not. They didn't score the TD on that play anyway. Our 4th string RB scored a 20 yarder on your team. 4th on the depth chart. Your guys couldn't stop him. I'm not sorry that a guy who's 4th on the depth chart is busting his ass trying to play the game 2 minutes left or not. At that point he's playing to move up. If our first stringers were in there and we were throwing the ball I'd say you have a valid complaint but as it was your not going to get any sympathy from me. I don't believe in participation trophy's or awards and I don't fault young 4th string RB's for playing hard or our special teams playing hard either. You should be upset with your head coach for not getting his team prepared. That first half was an abomination. Some credit for playing out the 2nd half but again your team was on the field playing our 3rd and 4th stringers for the most part. Yeah when fans bitch about a 25 point loss as running up the score with backups in I do believe the pussification comment is warranted.

JSUSoutherner
September 15th, 2019, 04:19 PM
If the benchwarmers are in why keep the playbook closed? Let the newbies get some real playing time.

GoBlueHens83
September 15th, 2019, 04:21 PM
WTF does past championhips have to do with this? This is a new coach and coaching staff, new players not to mention backups to backups that were in the game at the end. Does the committee who votes on placement in the playoffs say oh lets just give NDSU the #1 ranking because aww schucks they've won 7 of the last 8? I don't think so. You can make up all the excuses you want to but in the end it doesn't matter. Line up your players and stop them fake or not. They didn't score the TD on that play anyway. Our 4th string RB scored a 20 yarder on your team. 4th on the depth chart. Your guys couldn't stop him. I'm not sorry that a guy who's 4th on the depth chart is busting his ass trying to play the game 2 minutes left or not. At that point he's playing to move up. If our first stringers were in there and we were throwing the ball I'd say you have a valid complaint but as it was your not going to get any sympathy from me. I don't believe in participation trophy's or awards and I don't fault young 4th string RB's for playing hard or our special teams playing hard either. You should be upset with your head coach for not getting his team prepared. That first half was an abomination. Some credit for playing out the 2nd half but again your team was on the field playing our 3rd and 4th stringers for the most part. Yeah when fans bitch about a 25 point loss as running up the score with backups in I do believe the pussification comment is warranted.

Are you seriously insinuating that the playoff selection committee wouldn't give an NDSU team the #1 seed if it doesn't pull cheap trick plays in the final minutes of a game they already have won? Come on man.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 15th, 2019, 04:22 PM
This is just ho-hum...in a game that was 40-16, Delaware scores a TD with 6 min left....then goes for 2. For whatever reason after, they kick it deep instead of onside. NDSU then takes it....9 plays, 8 on the ground (I'm more annoyed about throwing it on 3rd and 5 than the fake) for a TD running 4:14 off the clock. Delaware gets it back and basically runs the rest out. Game over. Anything beyond that is just ****ing sour grapes. I'd rather Entz coach with more of an edge than worrying about an opponent's feelings. Was the fake necessary, probably not. Does it warrant a thread and all this crying. **** no.

This whole thread is laughable.

All you hen fans, pull up your big boy pants.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 15th, 2019, 04:23 PM

All gummy bears and lollipops I guess....

BisonFan02
September 15th, 2019, 04:24 PM

Hopefully the media asks Rocco about it on monday instead of talking about his team. Then they can hit the weight room hard and stuff. xlolx

GoBlueHens83
September 15th, 2019, 04:24 PM

This thread was started by a Bison fan.

Also, the Hens had their big boy pants on when they scheduled the Bison knowing it would probably be two beat downs. At least they weren't scared to play you. Which is more than we can say about a lot of other teams, FCS & FBS.

BisonBacker
September 15th, 2019, 04:25 PM
Are you seriously insinuating that the playoff selection committee wouldn't give an NDSU team the #1 seed if it doesn't pull cheap trick plays in the final minutes of a game they already have won? Come on man.

You seriously think just because NDSU's past teams, players and coaches who are all pretty much gone are going to get the #1 seed just because they are NDSU is how this works?

https://youtu.be/no0qB8CVspY

BisonFan02
September 15th, 2019, 04:25 PM

Also, the Hens had their big boy pants on when they scheduled the Bison knowing it would probably be two beat downs. At least they weren't scared to play you. Which is more than we can say about a lot of other teams, FCS & FBS.

This is a good point about the schedule.

CockyGeek
September 15th, 2019, 04:26 PM
Do it. MVSU was getting destroyed by our 4th string guys just running it up the middle last year. Taking a knee every play is more offensive.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 15th, 2019, 04:28 PM
Hopefully the media asks Rocco about it on monday instead of talking about his team. Then they can hit the weight room hard and stuff. xlolx

Maybe he can use it for locker room material and say NDSU disrespected Delaware so if they meet again the Delaware players will play with an "edge" .....xdontknowx.....xrolleyesx

- - - Updated - - -

Ya, because some of you guys are crying about this....xrolleyesx

GoBlueHens83
September 15th, 2019, 04:28 PM
You seriously think just because NDSU's past teams, players and coaches who are all pretty much gone are going to get the #1 seed just because they are NDSU is how this works?

https://youtu.be/no0qB8CVspY

Negative.

I was saying that NDSU is likely going to be very good again this year as was obvious on the field yesterday. They are going to get the #1 seed because they are the best team in FCS. No one from the committee was going to keep you from getting a seed you deserve because of one play in September in a game you already won by 3 scores.

Bison56
September 15th, 2019, 04:29 PM
This. Is. Stupid.

BisonBacker

Yes it was because a hens fan brought up the complaint in the game thread. I just thought the whole running up the score or cheap play was weak sauce in a 25 point game. Look at the wiki I linked, those teams had something to bitch about. I do give you guys credit for scheduling us and doing the home and home. No hard feelings either on my end regardless if you agree or disagree with me on this thread topic. Beauty of this great American experiment. We all have choices to like or not what we want and support or not what we want.

BisonFan02
Do it. MVSU was getting destroyed by our 4th string guys just running it up the middle last year. Taking a knee every play is more offensive.

https://gobison.com/boxscore.aspx?id=7417&path=football

OH the humanity of it all! xlolx

TheKingpin28
September 15th, 2019, 04:30 PM
Here is a crazy idea:

If you do not like being scored on, play some better defense.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 15th, 2019, 04:30 PM
Negative.

I was saying that NDSU is likely going to be very good again this year as was obvious on the field yesterday. They are going to get the #1 seed because they are the best team in FCS. No one from the committee was going to keep you from getting a seed you deserve because of one play in September in a game you already won by 3 scores.

Here is a little nugget: In the next 4 years, this Bison team might be the weakest!

BisonBacker
September 15th, 2019, 04:31 PM
Here is a crazy idea:

If you do not like being scored on, play some better defense.

Boom...Mic drop.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 15th, 2019, 04:31 PM

OH the humanity of it all! xlolx

What of bunch of A-holes!!!

xlolx:)

93henfan
September 15th, 2019, 04:32 PM
So much deflection from the original point:

Up three touchdowns, under two minutes, and you call a fake FG.

CockyGeek
September 15th, 2019, 04:34 PM

OH the humanity of it all! xlolxShame you couldn't get the shutout!

GoBlueHens83
September 15th, 2019, 04:34 PM
Here is a little nugget: In the next 4 years, this team might be the weakest!

I guess that remains to be seen. But from the looks of your team yesterday, you will be fine this year.

As I said already, I have no issues with the NDSU team or coaches, just didn't care for one play the entire game. I also stop WELL short of calling it classless or a dick move.

BisonFan02
September 15th, 2019, 04:35 PM
So much deflection from the original point:

Up three touchdowns, under two minutes, and you call a fake FG.

When you guys scored and went for 2, was the game over?

93henfan
September 15th, 2019, 04:36 PM

When you're trying to get back into a game, you go for two if it makes sense. That's not even close to a moral equivalency.

93henfan
September 15th, 2019, 04:37 PM
Hey, your coach decided to rub it in a little. Like I said previously, that's his prerogative. Keep it classy, NDSU.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 15th, 2019, 04:37 PM
When you're trying to get back into a game, you go for two if it makes sense. That's not even close to a moral equivalency.

So faking a FG to possibly get a 1st down and keep the clock running doesn't make sense?

Got it!

BisonFan02
September 15th, 2019, 04:38 PM

I'll do it for you then. If it was "over", **** the Hens then for going for 2...should've just kicked the XP then. Geez..... if the game wasn't over, NDSU held the ball and finished their drive with points to answer the Delaware score. Then....the game was over.

93henfan
So faking a FG to possibly get a 1st down and keep the clock running doesn't make sense?

Got it!

Lol, that's a stretch.

uni88
Ya, because some of you guys are crying about this....xrolleyesx

Speaking of crying, why are so many of the Bison faithful so thin-skinned and insecure when it comes to any criticism of their team? A wise poster once said the Bison have

the most insecure/attention whore while successful fan base that doesn't have a reason to be either one of those two things.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 15th, 2019, 04:39 PM
Hey, your coach decided to rub it in a little. Like I said previously, that's his prerogative. Keep it classy, NDSU.

If these 2 teams meet again later in the playoffs, call in to your local radio show or whatever you have there and make this locker room material.

Go for it!!

BisonFan02
September 15th, 2019, 04:40 PM
If these 2 teams meet again later in the playoffs, call in to your local radio show or whatever you have there and make this locker room material.

Go for it!!

I hope they spend the entire week prepping for all of these trick plays Entz runs this year.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 15th, 2019, 04:41 PM
Speaking of crying, why are so many of the Bison faithful so thin-skinned and insecure when it comes to any criticism of their team? A wise poster once said the Bison have

Oh here we go, your go to response to Bison fans....xlolx

I think the whining is laughable. I have no problem if Entz called the play or the holder saw something and checked to it.

Here is a novel idea: HEY, Delaware defense....STOP the fake!

xnodx

93henfan
September 15th, 2019, 04:42 PM

It really is amazing, isn't it?

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 15th, 2019, 04:44 PM
Lol, that's a stretch.

Why is it a stretch?

Entz said they saw something in Delaware's FG defense and the holder had the green light to check to a fake.

Coach Entz has a call in show. Feel free to call in and express your opinion how it was a piss poor call.

Let me know how it turns out!

BisonFan02
September 15th, 2019, 04:44 PM

Death, taxes, and UNI fans pointing fingers at the NDSU fanbase.

Bringing out a dozy from the way back machine. "You guys can talk when you actually win something" :D

93henfan
September 15th, 2019, 04:45 PM
There is a gentleman's aspect to football that I would always honor if I was a head coach.

I would never run a trick play, up three touchdowns, with 1:50 left. That's just me.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 15th, 2019, 04:46 PM

Bringing out a dozy from the way back machine. "You guys can talk when you actually win something" :D

They were top dogs when the Gateway had what.....5 teams and now they are middle of the pack. Salty!

:Dxnodx

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 15th, 2019, 04:47 PM
There is a gentleman's aspect to football that I would always honor if I was a head coach.

I would never run a trick play, up three touchdowns, with 1:50 left. That's just me.

Call Entz on his show. Let me know how it turns out!

xnodx

93henfan
September 15th, 2019, 04:48 PM
Call Entz on his show. Let me know how it turns out!

xnodx

I won't be, and it changes nothing in this thread. It was a dick move. Delaware didn't stop it. The sun will rise tomorrow.

I got a nice rise out of all you insecure Bison fans by bringing it up yesterday, and the payoff was awesome!

BisonFan02
September 15th, 2019, 04:50 PM
I won't be, and it changes nothing in this thread. It was a dick move. Delaware didn't stop it. The sun will rise tomorrow.

I got a nice rise out of all you insecure Bison fans by bringing it up yesterday, and the payoff was awesome!

There's your moral victory then. Enjoy. xlolx

93henfan
September 15th, 2019, 04:51 PM

My work is done here. Enjoy another championship, on me!

uni88
September 15th, 2019, 04:51 PM

Way back machine? The game we're discussing was yesterday and that quote is less than 2 weeks old.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 15th, 2019, 04:52 PM

No sh**!!!!

xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 15th, 2019, 04:55 PM
Way back machine? The game we're discussing was yesterday and that quote is less than 2 weeks old.

You bring up "insecure Bison fans" annually since I've been on here since 08.

When the Bison joined the Valley, we were told by your fan base to pipe down until we actually do something at this level....remember....xlolx

xboringx

TheKingpin28
September 15th, 2019, 04:58 PM
So let me get this straight?

Bison go for the fake FG to keep the clock running and a 4th/5th string RB scores later in the drive = BAD
Hens go for 2pt conversion when the game is already out of hand = GOOD

#CAABias

SUPharmacist
September 15th, 2019, 06:16 PM
I also find it interesting that not one person has addressed the historical perspective on scoring. All one has to do is go back and look at scores from games back 40-50 or more years ago (in some cases not that far back either) to find huge score discprencies yet I don't ever recall hearing one person ever say that man those coaches were real dick's or assholes.
Here's a list of some interesting scores.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_100-point_games_in_college_football

Man those coaches were dicks and assholes. Nah, just like the survey at the start of the thread it depends on the circumstances. Also, the most egregious example in your link the 1916 Georgia Tech-Cumberland 222-0 thumping was actually a respone to a 22-0 baseball win for Cumberland. What goes around comes around, but Cumberland had dissolved their football team and GT would not let them out of the game. Heisman was definitely an asshole.

Hood
September 15th, 2019, 07:02 PM
FBS tries knocking on three digits on an FCS or lower end FBS conference, poor form. Equivalent in high school ball. If it's rivals on an equal field, have at it, they'll be coming for you next year. Did I get p.'d off watching McNeese drop 60+ on us in 2003? Yeah, but we didn't stop them, either.

Pros? I don't care if they run it up. They're being paid to do a job.

JSUBison
September 15th, 2019, 07:13 PM
Both sides have a point. I don't like that NDSU did it, it was a dick move, NDSU fans can't deny this. This is the kind of stuff that we like to make fun of that other teams (SDSU, EWU) do, we like taking the high road and looking down at them. Deep down they know it's true. But also Delaware fans should have some self respect and not cry about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nqcgUDoV_M

I guess I should have voted other.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 15th, 2019, 07:26 PM
Both sides have a point. I don't like that NDSU did it, it was a dick move, NDSU fans can't deny this. This is the kind of stuff that we like to make fun of that other teams (SDSU, EWU) do, we like taking the high road and looking down at them. Deep down they know it's true. But also Delaware fans should have some self respect and not cry about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nqcgUDoV_M

I guess I should have voted other.

So was it a "dick move" scoring 72 on MVSU?

Probably should have taken a knee the whole 2nd half I suppose. Don't want to hurt feelings I guess.

caribbeanhen
September 15th, 2019, 07:46 PM

Hilarious,

Truth of the matter is that game yesterdsy for the Bison was a classic, clean and crisp like a Gene Kelly dance routine

And before the dance was over your Coach decides to run a breakdancer out there to ruin it all

Lorne_Malvo
September 15th, 2019, 08:23 PM
Did you even read my entire post before your hackles went up?

I don't remember the Northern Michigan game but it depends on who does the scoring. I have not problem with 2nd and 3rd stringers scoring when they have the opportunity.

I do think it was a dick move to run a trick play with the game in garbage time. It's my opinion and you have every right to disagree with it but that doesn't make it any less valid than yours.
You never answered my question. Was it a dick move by UNI?

tjamz
September 15th, 2019, 08:26 PM
It kinda depends. If the opposing team is still doing things to try and win/get back in the game by all means go for the kill. It's not like it changed the outcome of the game and if anything it may give a team like UD something to work on in practice so it doesn't happen in a meaningful game going forward. And for NDSU opponents it's just another one of those things that you have to watch out for now.

NY Crusader 2010
September 15th, 2019, 09:00 PM
My opinion is that running a fake FG or trick play when up by a blow-out margin is unsportsmanlike. However, there is a difference between being up 18 with 2 minutes to go and being up 48 with 2 minutes to go. An 18-point lead means that Delaware could block a FG attempt, run it back for a TD, and be within 11 points with roughly two minutes to go. Did anyone here watch the 2014 Bahamas Bowl? Crazy things can happen in college football. I don't see anything wrong with what the Bison did here. This game wasn't exactly Georgetown-Catholic U.

BisonTru
September 15th, 2019, 09:07 PM
This has been posted a few times here already but a friendly reminder...

NDSU's coaches instructed the holder to audible into the fake if he saw a certain defensive look early in the week. He saw the given coverage at the time and audibled. Coach Entz didn't call for a fake FG.

dewey
September 15th, 2019, 09:49 PM

NDSU's coaches instructed the holder to audible into the fake if he saw a certain defensive look early in the week. He saw the given coverage at the time and audibled. Coach Entz didn't call for a fake FG.

Agreed. It is not the coach's call. It is funny as so many blue haired hens fans are calling the NDSU coach a dick when they don't know the situation.

I generally don't like it when a team leaves their starters in to run the score up. Now if the other team can't stop the 2nd or 3rd string teams from running the offense then that is the opponents fault.

Dewey

bwbear
September 15th, 2019, 10:41 PM
Play to the end. I do believe that garbage time is a good time to get your younger guys reps, especially with the new 4 game redshirt rule.

But a story about how I really feel:

I'm a vengeful person. In 2000, UCA (D2 back then) played Harding University at home. It was Clint Conque's first year. Harding's players were running over our band's flag line (we were in the end zone lining up for pregame), including pushing my fiancé (now wife) around. Their fans were rude. And they beat us pretty handily. I remember Coach Conque saying after the game that we were just not a very good team.

Fast forward to one year later, and UCA is rolling. We played HU there, and I went to the game (the band did not travel). We were destroying them worst than they did the previous year. Remembering the year before, I started chanting, "Run up the score! Run up the score!"

I don't remember the final, but it was not even close.

In short, I'm in the "It is part of the game" camp.

uni88
September 15th, 2019, 11:16 PM
You never answered my question. Was it a dick move by UNI?

I don't remember the Northern Michigan game so I can't say. If you have absolutely have your heart set on me answering why don't you provide the context of what players scored, when and whether they were starters and I'll try and answer. If you're fishing for a reason to call me a hypocrite let me just say that I'm positive that UNI has done some dick things in the past. Coaches are human, players are pretty much kids and mistakes are made. I'm able to admit that my team isn't perfect and not get my panties in a wad every time someone criticizes them.

You can disagree with my (93's and others) opinion but that opinion is just as valid as yours. Opinions are subjective, not truth and definitely not absolutely right or wrong.

uni88
September 15th, 2019, 11:22 PM

Is Entz the head coach?
Isn't he ultimately responsible for everything that his team does on the field?
Could he or the special teams coach have instructed the holder not to audible in that situation?
If they forgot about the possible audible could he have owned up to during the post game presser?

He's a new head coach. It was his third game. He's learning on the job. There are bound to be growing pains but ultimately he is responsible for his team's actions.

We're really making a mountain of a mole hill here.

MR. CHICKEN
September 15th, 2019, 11:36 PM
Is Entz the head coach?
Could he or the special teams coach have instructed the holder not to audible in that situation?
If they forgot about the possible audible could he have owned up to during the post game presser?

He's a new head coach. It was his third game. He's learning on the job. There are bound to be growing pains but ultimately he is responsible for his team's actions.

......NO..........FAKE FG.....UP BAH 3 SCO'S.....UNDER TWO MINUTES......DEEP IN OPPOSIN' TEAMS TURF.....IS CHEAP...........KLIEMAN.......WOODN'T UH DONE IT.......HE CALLED OFF DUH TROOPS AFTERAH FIRST HALF....LAST YEAR IN FARGO.......BIZONSSSSS FANS KNOW DEY'RE A-GAP........BUT NUANCES UH SPORTS PROTOCOL......NOT SO MUCH....KICK DUH BALL/RUN-PASS FO' 1ST DOWN......SHAME ON HENS.....NOW IT'S SHAME ON BIZONSSSS..........BRAWK!

ming01
September 15th, 2019, 11:50 PM

Probably

It was a dick move. If it was against UND, SDSU, UNI I wouldn't feel bad at all. xlolx.

Maybe don't put yourself in that situation at all to begin with. I see both sides though.

ming01
September 15th, 2019, 11:52 PM
So let me get this straight?

Bison go for the fake FG to keep the clock running and a 4th/5th string RB scores later in the drive = BAD
Hens go for 2pt conversion when the game is already out of hand = GOOD

#CAABias

Why wouldnt they go for 2?

One thing Im not seeing is why didnt UD attempt an onside with 6 min left?

MR. CHICKEN
September 16th, 2019, 12:01 AM
....MAY HAVE FOUND DUH CHINK....IN STATE'S ARMOR........UH COACH RULED BAH TEMPER......POTENTIAL BO PELLINI......RUNS AMOK.....IN FARGO....xeekx....AWK!

MR. CHICKEN
September 16th, 2019, 12:05 AM

One thing Im not seeing is why didnt UD attempt an onside with 6 min left?

........AN' GIVE BIZONSSSS DUH ROCK....AT MID-FIELD......DUH!..........WE KICKED OFF REGULAR.....YOUSE WERE IN FG TERITORY........IN UH FEW PLAYS....DUH!......WE WERE WAVIN' DUH WHITE FLAG...........AWK!

....COACHES IN ARREARS...GO FO' TWO....ALOT..........DOODLE-DOO!

uni88
September 16th, 2019, 12:07 AM
......NO..........FAKE FG.....UP BAH 3 SCO'S.....UNDER TWO MINUTES......DEEP IN OPPOSIN' TEAMS TURF.....IS CHEAP...........KLIEMAN.......WOODN'T UH DONE IT.......HE CALLED OFF DUH TROOPS AFTERAH FIRST HALF....LAST YEAR IN FARGO.......BIZONSSSSS FANS KNOW DEY'RE A-GAP........BUT NUANCES UH SPORTS PROTOCOL......NOT SO MUCH....KICK DUH BALL/RUN-PASS FO' 1ST DOWN......SHAME ON HENS.....NOW IT'S SHAME ON BIZONSSSS..........BRAWK!

I think you misunderstand me Mr. Chicken. The molehill is that someone stated their opinion that it was a dick play. An opinion that you and I agree with. The mountain is the response of many of the Bison lynch mob to defend or rationalize the play. First they try and overwhelm you with the number of responses telling you that your opinion is wrong. Then they mock you or your school. And finally they turn themselves into rhetorical pretzels to try and explain why they're right and you're wrong. It's actually entertaining to watch.

MR. CHICKEN
September 16th, 2019, 12:12 AM
I think you misunderstand me Mr. Chicken. The molehill is that someone stated their opinion that it was a dick play. An opinion that you and I agree with. The mountain is the response of many of the Bison lynch mob to defend or rationalize the play. First they try and overwhelm you with the number of responses telling you that your opinion is wrong. Then they mock you or your school. And finally they turn themselves into rhetorical pretzels to try and explain why they're right and you're wrong. It's actually entertaining to watch.

......GUILTY....xembarrassedx......AWK!

BisonTru
September 16th, 2019, 02:04 AM
Is Entz the head coach?

He did own up to it in the press. WTF? You want him on special teams walk thru on Friday b4 the game to make sure he doesn’t audible to the fake if we’re up by (fill in the blank score) with (fill in the blank time left) because some UNI fans might get salty?

Mountain of a mole hill... for sure.

POD Knows
September 16th, 2019, 02:27 AM
Not a dick move, now, if NDSU would have done an onside kick after that late score, which is what I wanted them to do, that might have been a dick move. :D All the fake kick did was get a first down, Delaware’s below average D allowed a 20 yard TD run at the end

Also, this is a first for me, got trash talked walking out of the stadium by an old dude with an oxygen tank. He kept saying “it’s Bison” “it’s Bison”. Priceless.

All in all it was a pretty cool event. Got to meet some cool hen fans and a pretty good guy wearing a Harvard hat

TheKingpin28
September 16th, 2019, 05:40 AM

One thing Im not seeing is why didnt UD attempt an onside with 6 min left?Why wouldn't NDSU want to try a play against a team who they thought would give them a meaningful game?

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

stevdock
September 16th, 2019, 05:58 AM
I thought the fake was a bad look for NDSU. The game was over and they just had to run out the clock. They knew that because they started throwing backups in during this drive. I think even practicing the fake in that situation is a bad look unless they take a knee on the next two plays. If they would have done that I don't think anyone would have a huge problem with the fake. I also thought it was a bad look to have #1 defense out there for the last defensive drive up by as much as they were no matter how many points they had given up that 2nd half. But if they take a knee after the fake then the #1's aren't out there and these bad looks get cleaned up.

93henfan
September 16th, 2019, 06:18 AM
Bingo.

ElCid
September 16th, 2019, 06:18 AM
I thought the fake was a bad look for NDSU. The game was over and they just had to run out the clock. They knew that because they started throwing backups in during this drive. I think even practicing the fake in that situation is a bad look unless they take a knee on the next two plays. If they would have done that I don't think anyone would have a huge problem with the fake. I also thought it was a bad look to have #1 defense out there for the last defensive drive up by as much as they were no matter how many points they had given up that 2nd half. But if they take a knee after the fake then the #1's aren't out there and these bad looks get cleaned up.

This is the best, most well thought out scenario all thread. That is why I said "it depends" to begin with.

Daytripper
September 16th, 2019, 06:21 AM
Interesting watching Bison nation defending trickery at the end of a game that they had in the bag. If JSU, SHSU, or any other pretender to the throne who has a history of blowing opponents out had pulled this garbage they would be crapping all over them...Guaranteed.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 16th, 2019, 06:46 AM
I hope Coach Entz calls an onside kick in garbage time so this can continue....lol

BisonBacker
September 16th, 2019, 07:02 AM

So every example in that wiki link showing scores of XXX-0 the winning g teams coach,players and fans were not " Gentlemen ". Got it xlolx

93henfan
September 16th, 2019, 07:05 AM
Surely you have better reading comprehension than you're displaying.

Dukie95
September 16th, 2019, 07:07 AM
I feel like JMU fans are in a unique position to judge this fairly...We've certainly been accused of running up the score ourselves and we all hate Danny Rocco.

The fake is a very bad look for the Bison.

BisonBacker
September 16th, 2019, 07:11 AM
....MAY HAVE FOUND DUH CHINK....IN STATE'S ARMOR........UH COACH RULED BAH TEMPER......POTENTIAL BO PELLINI......RUNS AMOK.....IN FARGO....xeekx....AWK!

OMG talk about a stretch lol

BisonBacker
September 16th, 2019, 07:16 AM
Surely you have better reading comprehension than you're displaying.

Why don't you email Coach Entz your cell phone # so he's able to call you every game this year. Anytime the Bison are ahead regardless of the score he can call you to make sure the play hes called wont offend your "gentlmens " sensibilities xlolx

mvfcfan
September 16th, 2019, 07:19 AM
This is at least the second time this season that NDSU has done something low class this season. Faking a FG, up 3 possessions with 2 minutes to go in the game is definitely not a good look. I personally hate Butler, and I thought it was low class going for 2 against them after NDSU scored their first TD. Do you actually think NDSU would go for 2 like that against a program they respect?

BisonBacker
September 16th, 2019, 07:22 AM
Ladies and gentlemen now announcing the new Delaware Blue Hens football uniform.
https://i.ibb.co/C5zgQSF/Dinner-Jackets-1898-1.jpg (https://ibb.co/Y73mhVG)

93henfan
September 16th, 2019, 07:49 AM
Ladies and gentlemen now announcing the new Delaware Blue Hens football uniform.
https://i.ibb.co/C5zgQSF/Dinner-Jackets-1898-1.jpg (https://ibb.co/Y73mhVG)

I like those better than anything Adidas has come up with for us so far.

Gil Dobie
September 16th, 2019, 08:16 AM
Should probably have a poll that doesn't include Bison fans. This was a WTF move by NDSU, IMO. Yes, the 2 point conversion against Butler was another, and claiming he made a the right choice for QB was another. New coach, still feeling his way around. Hope the other coaches, like Hedberg are advising him on these choices after the fact and not before. Coach Klieman was a class act and hard to follow, but Entz should follow. Entz can make his own mark without pizzing off every team he plays.

TheKingpin28
September 16th, 2019, 08:17 AM
So were just going to ignore every blowout that happened before this? You play to win the damn game. It's that ****ing simple. You dont like it, either; change your tactics or go home. With the amount of butthurt here, I want NDSU to run up the score as much as they can. After all, we are the evil empire, so we might as well start acting like it. xcoffeex

Before this game, I didnt really care and was fine, but now it's time to open the floodgates. I mean seriously, are people going to cry foul every time a team runs up a score and does something they deem "classless"? I sure hope so as precedent has clearly been set.

Redbird 4th & short
September 16th, 2019, 08:56 AM

Isn't this the 2nd time this season, NDSU did something completely unnecessary at the end of of a game they'd clearly won ... I believe it was against Butler. Partly begs the question, why show more cards, when you don't need to .. not to mention piling on a bit. Maybe it was a chippy game and Delaware did some things themsleves during game, I don't know. But I think that is 2 head scratchers for the new Bison HC ??

As far as thread goes ... my answer is it depends on circumstances, particularly if you are a bubble team trying to make an impression .. then it is more ok, but even then only to a certain point.

But once you put your 2nd (or 3rd) string in, if they can march down field or get a 3 and out, so be it. But as coach, your should moderate play calling some, both offensively and defensively, and special teams (i.e. no going for blocked punts or onside kicks or fake FGs). You don't want any injuries in a decided game, and you also shouldn't show more cards than needed (see above).

But aside from that, let em play .. how do you tell your players otherwise. Those 2nd stringers could be next years 1st stringers .. they want to prove themselves too.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 16th, 2019, 09:01 AM
What a bunch of wussies in here.

LOL

Bisonator
September 16th, 2019, 09:10 AM
Has Rocco commented on it? I'd like to hear his comments if someone has a link.

Bisonator
September 16th, 2019, 09:13 AM
Isn't this the 2nd time this season, NDSU did something completely unnecessary at the end of of a game they'd clearly won ... I believe it was against Butler. Partly begs the question, why show more cards, when you don't need to .. not to mention piling on a bit. Maybe it was a chippy game and Delaware did some things themsleves during game, I don't know. But I think that is 2 head scratchers for the new Bison HC ??

As far as thread goes ... my answer is it depends on circumstances, particularly if you are a bubble team trying to make an impression .. then it is more ok, but even then only to a certain point.

But once you put your 2nd (or 3rd) string in, if they can march down field or get a 3 and out, so be it. But as coach, your should moderate play calling some, both offensively and defensively, and special teams (i.e. no going for blocked punts or onside kicks or fake FGs). You don't want any injuries in a decided game, and you also shouldn't show more cards than needed (see above).

But aside from that, let em play .. how do you tell your players otherwise. Those 2nd stringers could be next years 1st stringers .. they want to prove themselves too.
WTF are you talking about? The 2 point play after the first TD against Butler? JFC now we can't go for 2 after the first TD either?? Somebody send me the rule book with all these unwritten rules. This is getting as bad as baseball.xlolx

MR. CHICKEN
September 16th, 2019, 09:16 AM
So were just going to ignore every blowout that happened before this? You play to win the damn game. It's that ****ing simple. You dont like it, either; change your tactics or go home. With the amount of butthurt here, I want NDSU to run up the score as much as they can. After all, we are the evil empire, so we might as well start acting like it. xcoffeex

Before this game, I didnt really care and was fine, but now it's time to open the floodgates. I mean seriously, are people going to cry foul every time a team runs up a score and does something they deem "classless"? I sure hope so as precedent has clearly been set.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk.......GAME WAS WON.....DAT'S DUH POINT......BRAWK!

Gil Dobie
September 16th, 2019, 09:17 AM
WTF are you talking about? The 2 point play after the first TD against Butler? JFC now we can't go for 2 after the first TD either?? Somebody send me the rule book with all these unwritten rules. This is getting as bad as baseball.xlolx

Would you have called for a fake punt or a 2 point conversion against Butler? He's a new coach, and I'll give him a pass the first few games this year.

Bisonator
September 16th, 2019, 09:17 AM
.......GAME WAS WON.....DAT'S DUH POINT......BRAWK!
We wanted to keep the ball and run the clock out. Wants some cheese with your whine?

Bisonator
September 16th, 2019, 09:19 AM
Would you have called for a fake punt or a 2 point conversion against Butler? He's a new coach, and I'll give him a pass the first few games this year.
Maybe if I want my guys to work on it and or put it on tape. What's it care? It was early in the game, it's not like we were up 42-0.

Bisonator
September 16th, 2019, 09:21 AM
WTF are we supposed to do run the ball up the middle until it's 7-0 and then kneel on it the rest of the game? I'm sure that would make the other team real happy and not embarrassed at all.

uni88
September 16th, 2019, 09:22 AM

Sent from my SM-J727V using TapatalkMaybe another poll on who's more butthurt. The people complaining about:
- the play call? or
- the complaining?

My guess is that there are more posts "explaining" the play call or complaining about the criticism than there are posts calling it a dick move. Who's the most butthurt?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Daytripper
September 16th, 2019, 09:23 AM
WTF are we supposed to do run the ball up the middle until it's 7-0 and then kneel on it the rest of the game? I'm sure that would make the other team real happy and not embarrassed at all.

These types of exaggerations aren't helping your cause.

Bisonator
September 16th, 2019, 09:25 AM
Well you tell me then why someone is complaining about a 2 point conversion after the first TD.

McNeese75
September 16th, 2019, 09:31 AM
If the game is out of hand (4 tds plus) and the winning team is playing their 2nd & 3rd teams then it is what it is. Good sportsmanship would involve the winning team taking a more conservative offensive approach IMO.

MR. CHICKEN
September 16th, 2019, 09:35 AM

....EGG-ZAKLEE......SILLY.....CHILDISH........WHAA/WHAA....xbawlingx....AWK!

Professor Chaos
September 16th, 2019, 09:35 AM

NDSU went for 2 on their first TD against Butler (which was 5 minutes into the game). They lined up all spread out like you see a lot of teams do but instead of motioning into a normal XP formation they snapped it to the kicker and he waltzed in.

Entz basically said he did it to give teams different looks to think about/prepare for.

Can't say I understand any big benefit to giving teams these other special teams looks to think about but Entz strikes me as a guy who's not going to apologize about doing what he thinks is best for his team and I'm ok with that. I acknowledge that neither of the special teams gimmicks they've tried this year have the best optics given the opponent they went for 2 against and the game situation they ran the fake FG in but it is what it is. For those that don't like it rant away... I'm not going to rant back (at least not about this particular topic because I'd probably do the same thing if the roles were reversed).

Ivytalk
September 16th, 2019, 09:37 AM
If the game is out of hand (4 tds plus) and the winning team is playing their 2nd & 3rd teams then it is what it is. Good sportsmanship would involve the winning team taking a more conservative offensive approach IMO.
This is sort of where I come out. I haven’t read the previous 160+ posts, but I favor putting in the 2nd and 3rd teams after the 1st teams have the game in hand, and letting the “scrubs” play as hard as they want. How many chances will they get?

MR. CHICKEN
September 16th, 2019, 09:39 AM
NDSU went for 2 on their first TD against Butler (which was 5 minutes into the game). They lined up all spread out like you see a lot of teams do but instead of motioning into a normal XP formation they snapped it to the kicker and he waltzed in.

Entz basically said he did it to give teams different looks to think about/prepare for.

Can't say I understand any big benefit to giving teams these other special teams looks to think about but Entz strikes me as a guy who's not going to apologize about doing what he thinks is best for his team and I'm ok. I acknowledge that neither of the special teams gimmicks they've tried this year have the best optics given the opponent they went for 2 against and the game situation they ran the fake FG in but it is what it is. For those that don't like it rant away... I'm not going to rant back (at least about this particular topic :)).

....WHAA....GIVE TEAMS UH PLAY TO PREPARE TA STOP....AN' BESIDES.......PROLLY 25......DIFFERENT WAYS TA FAKE FG...........AWK!

ysubigred
September 16th, 2019, 09:40 AM
This is sort of where I come out. I haven’t read the previous 160+ posts, but I favor putting in the 2nd and 3rd teams after the 1st teams have the game in hand, and letting the “scrubs” play as hard as they want. How many chances will they get?

Plus 1^ and "IF" the 2nd and 3rd team is still scoring so be it xthumbsupx

Professor Chaos
September 16th, 2019, 09:40 AM
I think the vast majority of posters (or maybe all of them) are in agreement with this. The reason for the 160+ posts is pretty much because of the particular situation where NDSU ran the fake FG late against Delaware.

ysubigred
September 16th, 2019, 09:42 AM
I think the vast majority of posters (or maybe all of them) are in agreement with this. The reason for the 160+ posts is pretty much because of the particular situation where NDSU ran the fake FG late against Delaware.

Probably wanted to keep the "O" on the field to burn more clock and get back to dome sweet dome xsmiley_wix

Gil Dobie
September 16th, 2019, 09:43 AM

I would take a wild guess and say of the 31 votes, a vast majority are Bison fans.

MR. CHICKEN
September 16th, 2019, 09:44 AM

.......KICK DUH FG.....OR....GO FO' FIRST DOWN.......NO HARM IN KEEPIN' AT IT...........COMPLAINT IS....NO NEED FO' DECEPTION.......LESS DAN 2 MIN/DEEP IN HEN LAND...UP 18...AWK!

Professor Chaos
September 16th, 2019, 09:46 AM
....WHAA....GIVE TEAMS UH PLAY TO PREPARE TA STOP....AN' BESIDES.......PROLLY 25......DIFFERENT WAYS TA FAKE FG...........AWK!
Maybe future opponents will be a step slower off the edge for a potential FG block because they want to make sure the fake isn't coming? Every team probably has a double reverse WR pass to an eligible OT play I the back of the playbook but teams aren't going to prepare for it if a team never runs it.

Like I said I don't think the benefit is that great but there is some. I personally wouldn't have ran a fake FG in the situation that they did but I respect that fact that Entz is unapologetic about doing what he thinks is best for his team. You can call bull**** on his explanation if you want but I don't think it was.

.......KICK DUH FG.....OR....GO FO' FIRST DOWN.......NO HARM IN KEEPIN' AT IT...........COMPLAINT IS....NO NEED FO' DECEPTION.......LESS DAN 2 MIN/DEEP IN HEN LAND...UP 18...AWK!
That's my point... the question in the poll isn't really indicative of what the majority of the "discussion" in this thread has been about.

Daytripper
September 16th, 2019, 09:47 AM
Well you tell me then why someone is complaining about a 2 point conversion after the first TD.

Agree, that is not worthy of complaint. I thought you were lumping the late fake in with this statement. My bad.

MR. CHICKEN
September 16th, 2019, 09:49 AM
Maybe future opponents will be a step slower off the edge for a potential FG block because they want to make sure the fake isn't coming? Every team probably has a double reverse WR pass to an eligible OT play I the back of the playbook but teams aren't going to prepare for it if a team never runs it.

Like I said I don't think the benefit is that great but there is some. I personally wouldn't have ran a fake FG in the situation that they did but I respect that fact that Entz is unapologetic about doing what he thinks is best for his team. You can call bull**** on his explanation if you want but I don't think it was.

....AH'D SAY...EVERAH TEAM....IS SUSPICIOUS......DURIN' DUH FG PLAY.......OR PUNT PLAY....OR EVEN KICK-OFF.......AWARE UH FAKE POSSIBILITY.....ELSE COACH HASN'T TOTALLY PREPARED HIS GAME PLAN.......AWK!

.....YOUSE CAN PREPARE FO' DUH FAKE ALL YE WANNA.....BUT YA STILL DON'T KNOW...HOW IT'S GONNA BE RUN.....'LESS....UH ROOKIE HEAD COACH.....WOOD LIKES TA SHOW IT OFF...FO' NO REASON......BRAWK!

BisonBacker
September 16th, 2019, 09:49 AM
....EGG-ZAKLEE......SILLY.....CHILDISH........WHAA/WHAA....xbawlingx....AWK!

This is rich lol..A grown man posting as a chicken writing quips like you calling out others as silly and childish. Oh man you can't make this up bwahahaha.

clenz
September 16th, 2019, 09:51 AM
UNI dropped 63 and threw for 500 in a half on USD in 2009

I wanted them to score 130

Go Green
September 16th, 2019, 09:52 AM
Sometimes running up the score is in response to a dick move.

In 2012, Dartmouth was ahead by double digits with less than a minute to go against Yale and had first and goal at Yale's one yard line. I thought for sure we'd take a knee. Instead we ran a play and scored an extra touchdown.

I thought it was poor sportsmanship on our coach's part, but then I read the next day that it was actually the Yale coach that was the dick.

https://www.al.com/sports/2012/10/dartmouth_uses_water_bottle_as.html

That put the decision to "run it up" into more perspective.

BisonBacker
September 16th, 2019, 09:54 AM
To Mr. Chicken don't get me wrong I get the schtick your character represents. I loved old foghorn just your criticism really did make me lol. Thanks for the post.xthumbsupx

Prime Power
September 16th, 2019, 09:54 AM
I read a couple pages of this thread and didn't care to read the rest. Bunch of envious fans from others teams, bunch of crybabies, and a bunch of thin skinned Bison fans. The fake was a dick move, with that being said if it was any other team this is a non-issue, but because so many fans are envious it becomes a big deal. Because it becomes a big deal Bison fans have to defend it like their lives depend on it. I will just say this, Hens fans if you are so hurt and disgusted by the fake FG, I am sorry for what the big mean Bison did to your team. For the fans of other teams just piling on and being trolls, well played. For the Bison fans that are translucent skinned, who cares, let them be all envious and butthurt that the Bison are the best program ever in the FCS. Be the bigger fan and let it go.

Redbird 4th & short
September 16th, 2019, 09:58 AM

My bad .. I had recalled it vaguely, and wrongly assumed it happened later in game. Still a curious call against a patsy like team, but not poor sportsmanship given it was Q1 .. still a questionable call against what was clearly the easiest team on your schedule. Why play that card when you don't need to.

So I take back the inference,given it was forst TD. But I still think it is questionable call .. 1st TD of 1st game against a patsy .. why even do it at all ? Clearly your coach was trying to make a statement doing it on the first TD of season. Why Butler ... why not save it for Delaware or UCD or ISUr ?

Professor Chaos
September 16th, 2019, 09:58 AM
....AH'D SAY...EVERAH TEAM....IS SUSPICIOUS......DURIN' DUH FG PLAY.......OR PUNT PLAY....OR EVEN KICK-OFF.......AWARE UH FAKE POSSIBILITY.....ELSE COACH HASN'T TOTALLY PREPARED HIS GAME PLAN.......AWK!

.....YOUSE CAN PREPARE FO' DUH FAKE ALL YE WANNA.....BUT YA STILL DON'T KNOW...HOW IT'S GONNA BE RUN.....'LESS....UH ROOKIE HEAD COACH.....WOOD LIKES TA SHOW IT OFF...FO' NO REASON......BRAWK!
I'll take the word of a guy who is a D1 head coach that running these types of plays forces extra prep from opposing teams.

To me the better argument against what he's trying to do is that these plays are highly reliant on the element of surprise and he's basically admitting that his goal is to make teams less surprised to see NDSU run them so presumably they'll be less effective in the future. So I guess at the expense of that the benefit is opposing coaches have last practice time to prep for other stuff the Bison run. Like I said... pretty minimal benefit there from my POV.

MR. CHICKEN
September 16th, 2019, 09:59 AM
This is rich lol..A grown man posting as a chicken writing quips like you calling out others as silly and childish. Oh man you can't make this up bwahahaha.

....IS MAH PERSONAH....ON HERE......ANY DIFFERENT........DAN SERPENTOR'S......SPACE COWBOY....ALA HAWKWIND.......ALFA-GRIZZ......PSUEDO-PSYCHO APPROACH......DUH RED-NECK CITDAWG....OR ANY OTHERAH....KEYBO' JOCKEY...HERE??......AWQ!

.......YER REASONS TA DEFEND COACH ARE RE-DICK-LOUS.......MO' SANE BIZONSSSS....IN YER HERD....ON SAME PAGE.....AS OTHERAH GOOD SPORTS!.....BAWK!

clenz
September 16th, 2019, 10:02 AM
I haven't read the rest of the thread but.

There is a difference between winning by a lot and running the score up. If you've got reserves in the game but keep running the offense and the other team can't stop it? I mean, that's not entirely running the score up is it? That's just the back ups still being better. IMO it's disrespectful go to "We are so good we don' even have to try anymore so here is 3 dive plays and we will just just punt it to you now". Run the offense. Cut the extra frill **** but run the offense/defense

Now if you're up by 5+ scores and still running your 1s out there and going full playbook, that's a dick move as well. However, if the other team is still running their first defense out, **** it.

UNI under Farley has never run the score up. We've won games by a lot - USD in 2009 was 63-9 (500 yards passing in the first half), EIU in the playoffs in 15, SFA in the playoffs in 15, McNeese State 2013, Drake 2013, Monmouth playoffs 2017 etc.

The difference is Farley runs it as high as he can in half one and then in the second half kills the ball almost instantly. Starters start coming out early in the third.

Even in week 2 this year UNI was up 24-0 at half and Southern Utah had like 40 yards of offense. UNI threw the ball just 5 times int he second half and it had thrown for 240 in the first half. It got to 34-0 about halfway through the third and it was just dive after dive after dive after off tackle.

4 second half fumbles by UNI kept the game closer than it was, but before the final garbage time drive for SSU they had like 140 yards of offense in 3.5 quarters.

If UNI kept Will in there slinging it like they did in the first half that's a dick move. They kept him in the game but stripped the offense back.

I'd say it's entirely dependent on the game what's running it up and what's scoring a ton of points and winning by a ton.

I'd call what SDSU did to Alabama AM last year as running it up and being kinda dickish about it.It was 49-6 at half time and Pierre Strong, Isaac Wallace, etc. were still in the game scoring touchdowns at the end of the 3rd when it was 70-6. That was going to be a blow out even if SDSU pulled everyone at half, but IIRC they didn't really pull everyone and were still running some more exotic things than would be required when up 60-6

BisonBacker
September 16th, 2019, 10:06 AM
....IS MAH PERSONAH....ON HERE......ANY DIFFERENT........DAN SERPENTOR'S......SPACE COWBOY....ALA HAWKWIND.......ALFA-GRIZZ......PSUEDO-PSYCHO APPROACH......DUH RED-NECK CITDAWG....OR ANY OTHERAH....KEYBO' JOCKEY...HERE??......AWQ!

.......YER REASONS TA DEFEND COACH ARE RE-DICK-LOUS.......MO' SANE BIZONSSSS....IN YER HERD....ON SAME PAGE.....AS OTHERAH GOOD SPORTS!.....BAWK!

You obviously missed the irony in your own posting. I don't see others posting in a child like manner calling out other posters for being like children. It's pure comedy gold the irony and you can't see it lol. Then again you're also wrong on the thread topic in general so no surprise lol. Keep fighting the good fight tho.

BisonBacker
September 16th, 2019, 10:09 AM

There is a difference between winning by a lot and running the score up. If you've got reserves in the game but keep running the offense and the other team can't stop it? I mean, that's not entirely running the score up is it? That's just the back ups still being better. IMO it's disrespectful go to "We are so good we don' even have to try anymore so here is 3 dive plays and we will just just punt it to you now". Run the offense. Cut the extra frill **** but run the offense/defense

Now if you're up by 5+ scores and still running your 1s out there and going full playbook, that's a dick move as well. However, if the other team is still running their first defense out, **** it.

UNI under Farley has never run the score up. We've won games by a lot - USD in 2009 was 63-9 (500 yards passing in the first half), EIU in the playoffs in 15, SFA in the playoffs in 15, McNeese State 2013, Drake 2013, Monmouth playoffs 2017 etc.

The difference is Farley runs it as high as he can in half one and then in the second half kills the ball almost instantly. Starters start coming out early in the third.

Even in week 2 this year UNI was up 24-0 at half and Southern Utah had like 40 yards of offense. UNI threw the ball just 5 times int he second half and it had thrown for 240 in the first half. It got to 34-0 about halfway through the third and it was just dive after dive after dive after off tackle.

4 second half fumbles by UNI kept the game closer than it was, but before the final garbage time drive for SSU they had like 140 yards of offense in 3.5 quarters.

If UNI kept Will in there slinging it like they did in the first half that's a dick move. They kept him in the game but stripped the offense back.

I'd say it's entirely dependent on the game what's running it up and what's scoring a ton of points and winning by a ton.

I'd call what SDSU did to Alabama AM last year as running it up and being kinda dickish about it.It was 49-6 at half time and Pierre Strong, Isaac Wallace, etc. were still in the game scoring touchdowns at the end of the 3rd when it was 70-6. That was going to be a blow out even if SDSU pulled everyone at half, but IIRC they didn't really pull everyone and were still running some more exotic things than would be required when up 60-6

Good post and I agree.

uni88
September 16th, 2019, 10:24 AM

IT, shhhhhhh. We're in the middle of a therapy session here. We're trying to help some of the Bison faithful with their feelings of insecurity, inadequacy, abandonment by the civilized world and rectal inflammation.
xsmiley_wix

uni88
September 16th, 2019, 10:30 AM
I read a couple pages of this thread and didn't care to read the rest. Bunch of envious fans from others teams, bunch of crybabies, and a bunch of thin skinned Bison fans. The fake was a dick move, with that being said if it was any other team this is a non-issue, but because so many fans are envious it becomes a big deal. Because it becomes a big deal Bison fans have to defend it like their lives depend on it. I will just say this, Hens fans if you are so hurt and disgusted by the fake FG, I am sorry for what the big mean Bison did to your team. For the fans of other teams just piling on and being trolls, well played. For the Bison fans that are translucent skinned, who cares, let them be all envious and butthurt that the Bison are the best program ever in the FCS. Be the bigger fan and let it go.

Good post Prime but did it become a big deal because so many fans are envious or because Bison fans defended it like their lives depend on it? One post on the game thread spawned a bunch of responses there and a new thread with a poll here? Ignore that one post and this doesn't happen. The thin skins of some Bison fans is what made this into a big deal.

Redbird 4th & short
September 16th, 2019, 10:35 AM
To be fair, last year I posted a side by side of JMU and NDSU scoring margins by quarter because the debate was over who was better team. I argued Bison was winning by less because they took foot off gas pedal earlier on game than JMU. So scores alone won't tell whole story .. but it was clear NDSU wasn't going full tilt after half some games compared to JMU. . We'll see if that remains true under their new HC. Maybe it was 2 years ago ..not sure

Catbooster
September 16th, 2019, 10:55 AM
If your third string is in early and running vanilla offense but still increasing the lead, virtually no one will complain about running up the score.

If you have a 50 point lead, 20 seconds to go and you have the first string in trying to get a couple more plays off to punch it in rather than victory formation, virtually everyone will say that's unsportsmanlike.

As you incrementally go from the first extreme to the second, you will gradually increase the number of fans that think you're a jackass. If you decide there's a benefit to push towards the more aggressive end, go ahead but don't act surprised when people criticize you.

So my vote is Other: Part of the game, don't like it, stop them from scoring; but it might be poor sportsmanship at the same time.

Prime Power
September 16th, 2019, 10:55 AM
Good post Prime but did it become a big deal because so many fans are envious or because Bison fans defended it like their lives depend on it? One post on the game thread spawned a bunch of responses there and a new thread with a poll here? Ignore that one post and this doesn't happen. The thin skins of some Bison fans is what made this into a big deal.

Agreed, this thread is why it became a BIG deal, however if it wasn't for the original complaints it would have been a complete non-issue. It is amazing how a small ember can turn into a raging fire on these boards with so many insecure fans.

HensRock
September 16th, 2019, 11:06 AM
Do any NDSU fans know if the fake FG was the coach's call?
I had a theory that perhaps the holder saw a gap uncovered and he automatically called the fake because that is what he is coached to do.
I could see where a kid would not take into account the game situation (i.e. 1:56 left in the game up 3 scores).

When it happened I first felt it was kind of a douche move, but the more I thought about it, I was ok with it. Maybe your coach just wanted to practice the fake play against a live opponent. It was up to Delaware to stop you, and we couldn't.

Still much respect for NDSU. I welcomed every Bison fan I saw to Delaware. All were very nice folks.

Daytripper
September 16th, 2019, 11:12 AM
Many of the Bison posters here (not all) like to play the role of moral compass for the rest of us. They populate almost every thread with philosophical, moral and ethical examples of how their program does everything the right way. They call out other teams and and fans all of the time for their "failures" at how to do it the right way. If this thread was about any other team running up a score, it would have died yesterday. But, it is the Bison so every AGS person who recognizes the irony of the Bison doing the wrong thing makes it live on. Add to that the fact that every Bison fan on AGS (there are more than any other team, by degrees) will come here either to criticize the play or defend it...that is why we are all still here.

MSUBobcat
September 16th, 2019, 11:13 AM
That's my point... the question in the poll isn't really indicative of what the majority of the "discussion" in this thread has been about.

Exactly... if you think 25 points is running up the score, you have some pretty thin skin. Especially if you have your starters out of the game. Being up a few scores is EXACTLY how the backups, who will be potential future starters, get game reps and it's up to the other team to stop them even using your 1st stringers if need be. If you don't want to risk injury to them, don't cry about their backups beating your backups. Besides that... I don't think NDSU even covered the spread did they? Wasn't it 28 or 31-ish?

I also don't think anyone would disagree with the mentality of wanting to get the first down. Up 18 points late, while difficult, is not an insurmountable difference and the best defense is having your offense on the field. A scoop and a score with a 2 pt. conversion and an onside recovery and things just got REAL interesting, especially in college where the clock stops for 1st downs and if the team has a full compliment of TO's.

However, trick plays by definition are intended to give you an added advantage, especially if the opponent thinks you are more than happy taking a bit of a chip shot to go up 3 full TD's. I believe that well over 75% of teams probably convert in that situation, not because the opponent sucks at defending the fake FG, but because it hadn't even crossed their mind. I'd equate it to a batter who is looking curveball all the way and takes a backward K on a heater right down the pipe. If you're convinced it's going to be one thing, it's really hard to react when it's not.

POD Knows
September 16th, 2019, 11:37 AM
My bad .. I had recalled it vaguely, and wrongly assumed it happened later in game. Still a curious call against a patsy like team, but not poor sportsmanship given it was Q1 .. still a questionable call against what was clearly the easiest team on your schedule. Why play that card when you don't need to.

So I take back the inference,given it was forst TD. But I still think it is questionable call .. 1st TD of 1st game against a patsy .. why even do it at all ? Clearly your coach was trying to make a statement doing it on the first TD of season. Why Butler ... why not save it for Delaware or UCD or ISUr ?That patsy beat ****ing YSU the year before, what, is NDSU supposed to go into "don't hurt their feelings" mode prior to game time, **** that noise.

BisonBacker
September 16th, 2019, 11:49 AM
Agreed, this thread is why it became a BIG deal, however if it wasn't for the original complaints it would have been a complete non-issue. It is amazing how a small ember can turn into a raging fire on these boards with so many insecure fans.

Oh JFC this was pissed and moaned about in the game thread. Some hens fan even alluded to it in the upcoming game thread for Davis and the Bison. You don't like it you don't have to click on the thread. This was asking for opinions which some seem to think relates to "thin skinned", "poor sports", "Jackasses" the list goes on and on. How about look at the source of the complaints to assign anyblame or responsibility. There's a novel idea lol.

BisonBacker
September 16th, 2019, 11:52 AM
Do any NDSU fans know if the fake FG was the coach's call?
I had a theory that perhaps the holder saw a gap uncovered and he automatically called the fake because that is what he is coached to do.
I could see where a kid would not take into account the game situation (i.e. 1:56 left in the game up 3 scores).

When it happened I first felt it was kind of a douche move, but the more I thought about it, I was ok with it. Maybe your coach just wanted to practice the fake play against a live opponent. It was up to Delaware to stop you, and we couldn't.

Still much respect for NDSU. I welcomed every Bison fan I saw to Delaware. All were very nice folks.

Its been reported that the coaches gave the players approval before the game during the week leading up to the game as apparently they saw something in film. The players made the call on that play reportedly.

BisonBacker
September 16th, 2019, 11:57 AM
Many of the Bison posters here (not all) like to play the role of moral compass for the rest of us. They populate almost every thread with philosophical, moral and ethical examples of how their program does everything the right way. They call out other teams and and fans all of the time for their "failures" at how to do it the right way. If this thread was about any other team running up a score, it would have died yesterday. But, it is the Bison so every AGS person who recognizes the irony of the Bison doing the wrong thing makes it live on. Add to that the fact that every Bison fan on AGS (there are more than any other team, by degrees) will come here either to criticize the play or defend it...that is why we are all still here.

I haven't nor have I seen any NDSU fans say any such thing. I guess when your team has dominated like NDSU people will bitch about anything. I find it pretty humorous.

Daytripper
September 16th, 2019, 11:59 AM
I haven't nor have I seen any NDSU fans say any such thing. I guess when your team has dominated like NDSU people will bitch about anything. I find it pretty humorous.

Really? You haven't read any Bison continuously tell JSU, SHSU and others about the evils of transfers and how NDSU doesn't really do that and that is why they are so great? That's just one.

BisonBacker
September 16th, 2019, 12:05 PM
Really? You haven't read any Bison continuously tell JSU, SHSU and others about the evils of transfers and how NDSU doesn't really do that and that is why they are so great? That's just one.

Where's the moral compass tie in with that? Not to mention I've seen many a fan of other teams discuss that topic and not be in favor of it. Hey if you want to build your team that way knock yourself out. Doesn't seem to be working to well for you guys.

HensRock
September 16th, 2019, 12:09 PM
Its been reported that the coaches gave the players approval before the game during the week leading up to the game as apparently they saw something in film. The players made the call on that play reportedly.

Ya see, I thought there might be a logical explanation. I even said it might have been a player's call on on GoHens.net after the game, but no one responded to it. People just react before they think. Most players would not take game situation into account. They saw something, so they called it. That's good coaching.

Redbird 4th & short
September 16th, 2019, 12:10 PM
That patsy beat ****ing YSU the year before, what, is NDSU supposed to go into "don't hurt their feelings" mode prior to game time, **** that noise.
True, but you're not YSU .. we beat a better (6-5) Butler team in 2017 by 45-0. I hardly believe you guys were thinking the game might come down to that 2 point conversion. So while not bad sportsmanship to do so in Q1, it was questionable to do a trick play on your 1st TD of season against a patsy.

Daytripper
Where's the moral compass tie in with that? Not to mention I've seen many a fan of other teams discuss that topic and not be in favor of it. Hey if you want to build your team that way knock yourself out. Doesn't seem to be working to well for you guys.

I did expand to say philosophical and ethical, as well as moral. Transfers would be philosophical.

POD Knows
Really? You haven't read any Bison continuously tell JSU, SHSU and others about the evils of transfers and how NDSU doesn't really do that and that is why they are so great? That's just one.That is not a "moral" observation with respect to transfers, it is more about team building, cohesiveness and building culture into a specific individual player, NDSU fans see that approach as wise because it works, and there is proof for that. It is easier to do those types of things when your build your players from the ground up in the program. Honestly, I think this process has helped NDSU over the years. NDSU has had transfers, some washed out, others didn't but "transfers" is not how the program like to structure the team.

POD Knows
September 16th, 2019, 12:17 PM
True, but you're not YSU .. we beat a better (6-5) Butler team in 2017 by 45-0. I hardly believe you guys were thinking the game might come down to that 2 point conversion. So while not bad sportsmanship to do so in Q1, it was questionable to do a trick play on your 1st TD of season against a patsy.JFC, hell, maybe we shouldn't throw the ball against patsies, or not blitz (which we usually don't) or scale other things back. Is this how everybody wants to try and equalize outcomes on here?

The real "dick" play in this conversation was the throw on third down, not the fake field goal, a lot of bad **** can happen on a field goal.

POD Knows
September 16th, 2019, 12:21 PM
https://www.inforum.com/opinion/letters/4663364-Letter-A-few-questions-for-bison-fanatics

Here we go, just got this. This is gold.

BisonBacker
September 16th, 2019, 12:40 PM
https://www.inforum.com/opinion/letters/4663364-Letter-A-few-questions-for-bison-fanatics

Must have been written because I started this thread if you go by the logic of some here xlolx Looking at you PrimePower xnodx

TheKingpin28
September 16th, 2019, 12:49 PM
You do not build continued success on the backs of transfers. You build it through conditioning, culture, and values.

TheKingpin28
September 16th, 2019, 12:53 PM

Here we go, just got this. This is gold.Holy ****. This is perfect. Problem is, I was actually touring NDSU during the 09 season and I know what it's like to see playoff losses. Damn, I just love when the haters have to hate.

jacksfan29
September 16th, 2019, 01:09 PM

Stig had 5 active running backs on his roster against Arkansas Pine Bluff (Alabama A&M?)? Lee was being red shirted and was not active. Pierre Strong was a RS Freshman and CJ Wilson was a true Freshman. Who would you have had us run the ball? If you are going to criticize SDSU for that game, we did have a long td pass in the 4th, when our third string QB hit a WR who had exactly one reception all year, a 76 yard td in that game. Not one back had over 10 carries. Daniel led the way with 9. Every player who dressed played. The bigger issue with that game, we probably should have known how bad they were and just scheduled a local D3 team or gotten another non-scholarship team to come in.

Or, maybe we should have really embarrassed them and just took a knee the entire 4th quarter. Or better yet, have our backs and receivers run out of bounds every time they crossed the 10 yard line, than take a knee the remaining downs. Sorry, but that would be far more embarrassing then scoring.

Blair Mulholland (https://gojacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6979&path=football)
RB
5-10
So.
Appleton, Wis.
Kimberly H.S.

C.J. Wilson (https://gojacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7071&path=football)
RB
5-10
Fr.
Daytona Beach, Fla.
Mainland H.S.

Pierre Strong, Jr. (https://gojacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6999&path=football)
RB
5-11
R-Fr.
Little Rock, Ark.
McClellan H.S.

Mikey Daniel (https://gojacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6933&path=football)
RB
6-0
Jr.
Brookings, S.D.
Brookings H.S.

Jefferson Lee, V (https://gojacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7237&path=football)
RB
5-9
Fr.
Marshall, Minn.
Marshall H.S.

Isaac Wallace (https://gojacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7007&path=football)
RB
6-1
Sr.
Omaha, Neb.
Ralston H.S.

Go Green
September 16th, 2019, 01:17 PM

A similar explanation was eventually provided for Yale's puzzling decision to run a fake punt on fourth and 22 deep in their own territory against Harvard in 2009.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/295378-the-smartest-schoolthe-dumbest-play

Like here, the Yale players didn't ask the coach "Hey, I know that we talked about this in practice. But it really seems like a bad idea in this particular scenario."

HensRock
September 16th, 2019, 01:29 PM

Wow! I certainly HOPE that was not a Delaware fan.

POD Knows
September 16th, 2019, 01:35 PM
Wow! I certainly HOPE that was not a Delaware fan.It has UND F'Hawker written all over it.

Thumper 76
September 16th, 2019, 01:52 PM
Didn’t read the whole thread. Don’t care to. One thing I KNOW for a FACT is if SDSU were to do this to ndsu in a similar situation the same ndsu fans on here saying it’s no big deal would be ****ting themselves in rage over “classless” Eck and “slimy fake and scummy” Stig. And y’all will say you wouldn’t but 95% of you as full of ****. The end. xcoffeex

GannonFan
September 16th, 2019, 01:55 PM
Not hard, it's both. The defense should've stopped it and shouldn't whine about the fact they didn't, and the offense shouldn't have ran the fake play and they shouldn't be proud that they did. Bad defense and bad sportsmanship. I know it's complicated not to take an either/or position but sometimes things are a little more complicated than what a 3 year old can process.

Prime Power
September 16th, 2019, 02:01 PM
Must have been written because I started this thread if you go by the logic of some here xlolx Looking at you PrimePower xnodx

Crystal Clear Skin........

Evolution Prime
September 16th, 2019, 03:14 PM
Stig had 5 active running backs on his roster against Arkansas Pine Bluff (Alabama A&M?)? Lee was being red shirted and was not active. Pierre Strong was a RS Freshman and CJ Wilson was a true Freshman. Who would you have had us run the ball? If you are going to criticize SDSU for that game, we did have a long td pass in the 4th, when our third string QB hit a WR who had exactly one reception all year, a 76 yard td in that game. Not one back had over 10 carries. Daniel led the way with 9. Every player who dressed played. The bigger issue with that game, we probably should have known how bad they were and just scheduled a local D3 team or gotten another non-scholarship team to come in.

Or, maybe we should have really embarrassed them and just took a knee the entire 4th quarter. Or better yet, have our backs and receivers run out of bounds every time they crossed the 10 yard line, than take a knee the remaining downs. Sorry, but that would be far more embarrassing then scoring.

Blair Mulholland (https://gojacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6979&path=football)
RB
5-10
So.
Appleton, Wis.
Kimberly H.S.

C.J. Wilson (https://gojacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7071&path=football)
RB
5-10
Fr.
Daytona Beach, Fla.
Mainland H.S.

Pierre Strong, Jr. (https://gojacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6999&path=football)
RB
5-11
R-Fr.
Little Rock, Ark.
McClellan H.S.

Mikey Daniel (https://gojacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6933&path=football)
RB
6-0
Jr.
Brookings, S.D.
Brookings H.S.

Jefferson Lee, V (https://gojacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7237&path=football)
RB
5-9
Fr.
Marshall, Minn.
Marshall H.S.

Isaac Wallace (https://gojacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7007&path=football)
RB
6-1
Sr.
Omaha, Neb.
Ralston H.S.

I knew the SDSU-Arkansas-Pine Bluff game was going to be used as an example of running up the score. I was at the game. It was a game that got out of hand. Starting QB out after half-time. Starting RB out after first series in second half. Pierre Strong was still only the 3rd/4th string RB at this point since Wallace didnt get hurt until later and CJ Wilson was 2nd/3rd string until getting hurt later as well. I do not remember and trick plays. I believe all the long pass plays were short ones where the WR or RB broke it long. This was a game where A-PB was just over matched by even our backups. I know Stig apologized for it but not much he could do except remove starters in the 2Q. I believe you are seeing the affects of that game this year in our last two games.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 16th, 2019, 03:45 PM
IT, shhhhhhh. We're in the middle of a therapy session here. We're trying to help some of the Bison faithful with their feelings of insecurity, inadequacy, abandonment by the civilized world and rectal inflammation.
xsmiley_wix

Wash, rinse, repeat with you.

Get some new material.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 16th, 2019, 03:48 PM
Oh JFC this was pissed and moaned about in the game thread. Some hens fan even alluded to it in the upcoming game thread for Davis and the Bison. You don't like it you don't have to click on the thread. This was asking for opinions which some seem to think relates to "thin skinned", "poor sports", "Jackasses" the list goes on and on. How about look at the source of the complaints to assign anyblame or responsibility. There's a novel idea lol.

This here.

Daytripper
September 16th, 2019, 04:07 PM
Watching Bison Nation gnash their teeth, pull their hair and flail.....priceless. How dare us peons question the integrity of their beloved program.

BisonTru
September 16th, 2019, 04:14 PM
Watching Bison Nation gnash their teeth, pull their hair and flail.....priceless. How dare us peons question the integrity of their beloved program.

You’re starting to figure this out. Now awe and gaze to appease us. [emoji1779]

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 16th, 2019, 04:20 PM

Peons is right.

After watching Sammy's performance Saturday, you better wear a paper bag over your head!!!!!

Silenoz
September 16th, 2019, 04:23 PM
Not hard, it's both. The defense should've stopped it and shouldn't whine about the fact they didn't, and the offense shouldn't have ran the fake play and they shouldn't be proud that they did. Bad defense and bad sportsmanship. I know it's complicated not to take an either/or position but sometimes things are a little more complicated than what a 3 year old can process.
We only deal in absolutes around here!

BisonFan02
September 16th, 2019, 05:41 PM
Kicking is overrated. Go for it everytime and kick onside. :D

POD Knows
September 16th, 2019, 05:46 PM
Kicking is overrated. Go for it everytime and kick onside. :DNDSU should only kick field goals if required to beat an FBS team, other than that they should go for it on every 4th down in FG range. I would also go for 2 after every touchdown, NDSU would convert more than 50% of those, we would be money ahead if we we did that. Onside kicks should only be used to inflict more damage on your opponents when the games are out of reach. xnodx

Professor Chaos
September 16th, 2019, 05:47 PM
Kicking is overrated. Go for it everytime and kick onside. :D
#ChuckThePigskin

http://oneofus.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/untitled.bmp

caribbeanhen
September 16th, 2019, 06:40 PM
#ChuckThePigskin

http://oneofus.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/untitled.bmp

I like it, field position is over rated and punting is wasting plays

Daytripper
September 16th, 2019, 08:10 PM
Peons is right.

After watching Sammy's performance Saturday, you better wear a paper bag over your head!!!!!

I'm not arguing with you about that. See my other posts this weekend. You're preaching to the choir.

Derby City Duke
September 16th, 2019, 08:30 PM
If the purpose of running the fake FG with less than 2:00 left in the game was:

1. Make other coaches have to plan for it; fine
2. Get a first down so you can run out the clock: fine, but then kneel on it and run out the clock; to do otherwise is bad form
3. Get a first down so you can try to score again with the 2s/3s: fine; D needs to strap it on and stop you

Coach should make it clear in postgame comments what the purpose was in executing the fake.

xtwocentsx

Daytripper
September 16th, 2019, 08:31 PM

2. Get a first down so you can run out the clock: fine, but then kneel on it and run out the clock; to do otherwise is bad form
3. Get a first down so you can try to score again with the 2s/3s: fine; D needs to strap it on and stop you

Coach should make it clear in postgame comments what the purpose was in executing the fake.

xtwocentsx

^^^^Right here^^^^^^

Redbird 4th & short
September 16th, 2019, 08:58 PM
so just for clarity .. I assume this was the play series. If so, it was at around the 2 to 2 1/2 minute mark up 18 on the 26 yard line, time depending on if Delaware was using any timeouts to stop clock; but 1 play later, they scored to go up 25 with 1:46 left on clock.

4th and 5 at DELAWARE26
Garret Wegner rush for 6 yards to the DELAWARE20, 1ST DOWN NDSU (Kedrick Whitehead).

1st and 10 at DELAWARE20
Saybein Clark rush for 20 yards to the DELAWARE0, 1ST DOWN NDSU, TOUCHDOWN, clock 01:46.

BUt as a Bison fan mentioned, Delaware was moving the ball on 3 prior series:

DELAWARE
3rd
DELAWARE10
08:04
KO
NDSU06
03:29
FG
11-84
4:35

DELAWARE
4th
DELAWARE09
14:51
PUNT
NDSU00
12:01
TD
8-91
2:50

DELAWARE
4th
DELAWARE20
09:35
KO
NDSU00
06:00
TD
7-80
3:35

So assume they miss the FG, or worse it gets blocked with some kind of return ... 18 point lead with 2 mins starting around their 25 yard line, knowing you have to go to bit of a prevent defense and Delaware was already moving the ball on your defense of late ... does makes it a little more debatable ... emphasis on little

POD Knows
September 16th, 2019, 09:02 PM
so just for clarity .. I assume this was the play series. If so, it was at around the 2 to 2 1/2 minute mark up 18 on the 26 yard line, time depending on if Delaware was using any timeouts to stop clock; but 1 play later, they scored to go up 25 with 1:46 left on clock.

4th and 5 at DELAWARE26
Garret Wegner rush for 6 yards to the DELAWARE20, 1ST DOWN NDSU (Kedrick Whitehead).

1st and 10 at DELAWARE20
Saybein Clark rush for 20 yards to the DELAWARE0, 1ST DOWN NDSU, TOUCHDOWN, clock 01:46.

BUt as a Bison fan mentioned, Delaware was moving the ball on 3 prior series:

DELAWARE
3rd
DELAWARE10
08:04
KO
NDSU06
03:29
FG
11-84
4:35

DELAWARE
4th
DELAWARE09
14:51
PUNT
NDSU00
12:01
TD
8-91
2:50

DELAWARE
4th
DELAWARE20
09:35
KO
NDSU00
06:00
TD
7-80
3:35

So assume they miss the FG, or worse it gets blocked with some kind of return ... 18 point lead with 2 mins starting around their 25 yard line, knowing you have to go to bit of a prevent defense and Delaware was already moving the ball on your defense of late ... does makes it a little more debatable ... emphasis on littleThe fake FG is a perfectly legitimate play, if somebody is going to take an issue with something, take issue with the running play on the next play where Delaware rolled over and died. I absolutely expected NDSU to take a knee after the 4th down conversion and was really surprised they didn't do that. Take a knee on first down, if Delaware calls a time out, jam the ball down their throats on second down.

Kemo
September 17th, 2019, 01:40 AM
I'm of the opinion that if you can beat a team by 85 points, you beat them 84 points (https://gojacks.com/boxscore.aspx?path=football&id=8564). Going for 2 after the last TD would be a dick move.

PAllen
September 17th, 2019, 04:37 AM
A fake field goal when you are up by three scores with two minutes left is pretty pathetic. That said, I have no issue with having your starters in as long as the gap is less than the other team's remaining possessions would allow them to make up. Of course, If you're up by 40+ even in the first half, you should have already been getting your second and third string reps at most positions.

Hammersmith
September 17th, 2019, 04:54 AM

xtwocentsx

He did, and it was posted earlier. But almost nobody is rational in this thread. Just a bunch of idiots yelling at each other and feeling smug.

The reason for the fake:
Leading up to the game, the NDSU coaches saw something in the Delaware FG defensive formation that they thought they could exploit. So they coached up the FG team on a fake and gave the responsibility for the decision up to either the holder or the kicker(I forget which). If the player saw Delaware do a particular thing, he was supposed to call for the fake at the line. So late in the game, NDSU lines up for the FG and Delaware shows what the NDSU player was coached to look for. He calls the audible and NDSU goes for the fake.

My guess is that the NDSU coaches just never thought to grab him before he went out and tell him there was no need to be watching for the UD tell anymore. Maybe they thought he would know not to do it, or maybe they figured what would be the odds that the stars would align. Personally, I think they just didn't think of it at all.

I do think it's apparent that Entz has a different philosophy than Bohl and Klieman. The later two were pretty secretive about things; always trying to avoid putting things on film. It feels like Entz is trying to overload opposing defensive coordinators with lots of extra looks. I have to assume that he's trying to force them to choose whether to devote practice time to all the looks or just some. They either spread themselves thin during practice or ignore the trick plays and hope their teams can handle it if they come.

Is it a good philosophy? Only time will tell. But I'd say that it's the mark of a first time head coach that he's willing to try something new and different than what his predecessors had success with.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 17th, 2019, 05:22 AM

xtwocentsx

He did.

POD Knows
September 17th, 2019, 07:49 AM
Why isn't anybody saying that kicking the field and adding 3 more points was "running up the score". You are running up the score by 3 instead of 7 but you are still running up the score. For **** sakes, NDSU ran a running play after the 4th down conversion, it was nothing tricky, a pretty straight up play and Delaware couldn't stop it.

The bottom line is that NDSU embarrassed the Delaware defense for the majority of the game and a 20 yard run at the end was just exclamation point on the entire afternoon for their D.

I would have probably preferred that NDSU kneel on the ball after the 4th down conversion to avoid any possible injuries but I got to tell you, that last TD felt pretty good.

bluehenbillk
September 17th, 2019, 08:00 AM
I can't believe there is 24 pages on this topic. It's the other team's job to stop their opponent. If the team I'm a fan of, Delaware, couldn't stop NDSU, shame on the Hens. Period.

POD Knows
September 17th, 2019, 08:17 AM
I can't believe there is 24 pages on this topic. It's the other team's job to stop their opponent. If the team I'm a fan of, Delaware, couldn't stop NDSU, shame on the Hens. Period.24 pages?? You need to reset how many many posts you can view. I see 6 pages.

MR. CHICKEN
September 17th, 2019, 08:22 AM
........IT WAS BUSH LEAGUE.....PERIOD.............THANKY FO' EXPOSIN' TA ROCCO.....WHAT NEEDS TA BE SHORED UP.......WOODN'T WANT 'NOVA......TA SEE WHAA WE WERE DOIN' WRONG......AWK!

.....WHAA DOES IT MATTER YER PAGE SETTIN'........MINE IS 24 AS WELL.....(TEN POSTS PER PAGE).......PROLLY DUH DEFAULT......LESSIN'....YA WANNAH SQUEEZE 'EM IN.....BAWK!

MR. CHICKEN
September 17th, 2019, 08:39 AM
Why isn't anybody saying that kicking the field and adding 3 more points was "running up the score". You are running up the score by 3 instead of 7 but you are still running up the score. For **** sakes, NDSU ran a running play after the 4th down conversion, it was nothing tricky, a pretty straight up play and Delaware couldn't stop it.

The bottom line is that NDSU embarrassed the Delaware defense for the majority of the game and a 20 yard run at the end was just exclamation point on the entire afternoon for their D.

I would have probably preferred that NDSU kneel on the ball after the 4th down conversion to avoid any possible injuries but I got to tell you, that last TD felt pretty good.

......'CAUSE IT WOODN'T....UH BEEN DONE BAH DECEPTION.......DUH PECKERHEADS....WHOM ARE COMPLAININ'.....HAVE ALREADY SAID.......KICK DUH ROCK.....O' GO FO' FIRST DOWN.........BUT NOT UH FAKE......FO' REASONS ALREADY MENTIONED........&........BEAT.....LIKE...UH.....VIET NAM OX............BRAWK!

Outsider1
September 17th, 2019, 08:46 AM
Depends on the situation. I don't feel bad for Delaware when they're funded at the top of the subdivision and have a full complement of scholarships for the FCS level. If NDSU would've did the same thing to Butler I would've been a lot more uneasy seeing my team do something like that.

That said I can see the criticism for NDSU running a fake FG up 3 scores with under 2 minutes to go in the game. There are plausible "excuses" for it but it's still not the best look. I didn't think it was a good look for SDSU when they beat Arkansas-Pine Bluff 90-6 last year either so I've got to admit it when the shoe's on the other foot too.

I fall into this category. I am not a binary person. ACU could have easily ran up the score more on our NAIA opponenent a couple of weeks ago, but the score was already lopsided enough and the purpose for us was to get other players in there for later on.

POD Knows
September 17th, 2019, 08:50 AM
......'CAUSE IT WOODN'T....UH BEEN DONE BAH DECEPTION.......DUH PECKERHEADS....WHOM ARE COMPLAININ'.....HAVE ALREADY SAID.......KICK DUH ROCK.....O' GO FO' FIRST DOWN.........BUT NOT UH FAKE......FO' REASONS ALREADY MENTIONED........&........BEAT.....LIKE VIET NAM OX............BRAWK!How about learning how to ****ing tackle so a guy doesn't score from the 15 on a routine hand off. NDSU didn't score a freaking TD on the fake field goal, Delaware had plenty of time to man up and keep them out of the end zone, they didn't and that is on the Delaware D.

I am ****ing done with this conversation.

Derby City Duke
September 17th, 2019, 09:20 AM
He did, and it was posted earlier. But almost nobody is rational in this thread. Just a bunch of idiots yelling at each other and feeling smug.

The reason for the fake:
Leading up to the game, the NDSU coaches saw something in the Delaware FG defensive formation that they thought they could exploit. So they coached up the FG team on a fake and gave the responsibility for the decision up to either the holder or the kicker(I forget which). If the player saw Delaware do a particular thing, he was supposed to call for the fake at the line. So late in the game, NDSU lines up for the FG and Delaware shows what the NDSU player was coached to look for. He calls the audible and NDSU goes for the fake.

My guess is that the NDSU coaches just never thought to grab him before he went out and tell him there was no need to be watching for the UD tell anymore. Maybe they thought he would know not to do it, or maybe they figured what would be the odds that the stars would align. Personally, I think they just didn't think of it at all.

I do think it's apparent that Entz has a different philosophy than Bohl and Klieman. The later two were pretty secretive about things; always trying to avoid putting things on film. It feels like Entz is trying to overload opposing defensive coordinators with lots of extra looks. I have to assume that he's trying to force them to choose whether to devote practice time to all the looks or just some. They either spread themselves thin during practice or ignore the trick plays and hope their teams can handle it if they come.

Is it a good philosophy? Only time will tell. But I'd say that it's the mark of a first time head coach that he's willing to try something new and different than what his predecessors had success with.

Hope I didn't come off as smug...or loud...:)

TheKingpin28
September 17th, 2019, 09:47 AM
I can't believe there is 24 pages on this topic. It's the other team's job to stop their opponent. If the team I'm a fan of, Delaware, couldn't stop NDSU, shame on the Hens. Period.At least someone can be sensible on this topic.

MR. CHICKEN
September 17th, 2019, 09:47 AM
How about learning how to ****ing tackle so a guy doesn't score from the 15 on a routine hand off. NDSU didn't score a freaking TD on the fake field goal, Delaware had plenty of time to man up and keep them out of the end zone, they didn't and that is on the Delaware D.

....MAN BIZONSSSSS ARE THICK......DUH POINTS SCORED IS NOT.....DUH ISSUE.............AH'M OUT..........BRAWK!

BigGoosie13
September 17th, 2019, 10:05 AM

I'd call what SDSU did to Alabama AM last year as running it up and being kinda dickish about it.It was 49-6 at half time and Pierre Strong, Isaac Wallace, etc. were still in the game scoring touchdowns at the end of the 3rd when it was 70-6. That was going to be a blow out even if SDSU pulled everyone at half, but IIRC they didn't really pull everyone and were still running some more exotic things than would be required when up 60-6FYI Pierre Strong Jr was a 4th stringer at that point of the season and had a career total of two carries and Wallace's last td came with 12:55 left in the 3rd quarter. The only way we could've stopped scoring is if our players would've literally started to take dives. The last td was a 3 curl from a walk-on 3rd string QB to a freshman WR that was like 12th on the depth chart, can't blame kids for trying. From the sounds of it Roberts was told to hand it off, but ran the RPO as usual, Stig apologized for it.

I don't think anybody left the stadium feeling particularly good about that game, players or fans.

Also, I don't think people realize what a bad spot SDSU was in at that time. The Iowa State game got cancelled, our starters got about 2.5 quarters in during our rout of Montana State and 2 quarters and one series against APB. So we were entering week 4 of the season with a showdown against the Bison and our starters had roughly 4.5 quarters of playing time.

uni88
September 17th, 2019, 01:12 PM
How about learning how to ****ing tackle so a guy doesn't score from the 15 on a routine hand off. NDSU didn't score a freaking TD on the fake field goal, Delaware had plenty of time to man up and keep them out of the end zone, they didn't and that is on the Delaware D.

Why does this conversation upset you?

This thread has helped to show that it isn't cut and dried that it was or wasn't a dick play. I personally think it was a dick play but there have been good arguments on here for why it wasn't. Just as there have been good arguments for why it was.

More importantly, this is post #248 on this thread and this kind of discussion is good for AGS. Discussion that gets the juices flowing and gets lots of responses is a positive and should be encouraged. AGS is a national FCS discussion board and the more posters we have from more schools the better the site is. BV should be the place to go for Bison-centric information, AGS should have a wide variety of opinions many of which someone is going to disagree with.

POD Knows
September 17th, 2019, 01:49 PM
Why does this conversation upset you?

This thread has helped to show that it isn't cut and dried that it was or wasn't a dick play. I personally think it was a dick play but there have been good arguments on here for why it wasn't. Just as there have been good arguments for why it was.

More importantly, this is post #248 on this thread and this kind of discussion is good for AGS. Discussion that gets the juices flowing and gets lots of responses is a positive and should be encouraged. AGS is a national FCS discussion board and the more posters we have from more schools the better the site is. BV should be the place to go for Bison-centric information, AGS should have a wide variety of opinions many of which someone is going to disagree with.I voted other in the poll for the record, there are people on this issue that think they are right and other people that think they are right. I don't really like the "ethics" of the program being called out because of a play at the end of the game. If we had a history of this stuff, it would be different but we don't. Pretty selective outrage by some fans who got their feathers ruffled. I stated that NDSU should have taken a knee instead of running a simple running play that apparently was too awesome to be stopped. I have a question, if NDSU had run a play action pass play and got the first down, would that have been OK or would that have been too "tricky".

uni88
September 17th, 2019, 02:24 PM
I voted other in the poll for the record, there are people on this issue that think they are right and other people that think they are right. I don't really like the "ethics" of the program being called out because of a play at the end of the game. If we had a history of this stuff, it would be different but we don't. Pretty selective outrage by some fans who got their feathers ruffled. I stated that NDSU should have taken a knee instead of running a simple running play that apparently was too awesome to be stopped. I have a question, if NDSU had run a play action pass play and got the first down, would that have been OK or would that have been too "tricky".

These are my thoughts, take them for what you will ...

I can't speak for anyone else but I while I believe in my opinion, I don't think it is right and anyone who disagrees is wrong. They're opinions and opinions are subjective.

On the "ethics", some NDSU fans can be a little preachy about doing things the right way. You have one of the greatest I-AA/FCS programs of all time and you have done things the right way so you've earned the right to be a little preachy but as a result a little pushback isn't unusual when an opportunity arises. I wouldn't let it bother me. I give Entz a mulligan. He's a first year head coach and he or the special teams coach might have forgotten about the audible so they didn't tell the FG team to forget it in that situation.

What is and isn't ok is subjective. For me, trying to get the 1st down in that situation wasn't the problem, it was using a trick play. IMO a run or play action pass are fine to get the first down. And if a 2nd or 3rd string player scores on that or a subsequent play I don't have a problem with it. I don't think it's cool to be faking a FG or running a flea flicker or hook & ladder at that point in the game. Game was essentially over, let's run out the clock without injuries and without rubbing any extra salt in the choked chickens' wounds. But that's my subjective opinion.