PDA

View Full Version : AGS Top 25 - How They Fared Week 3 2019

superman7515
September 14th, 2019, 11:32 PM
There's still a few west coast games going on, but it's after midnight and the Bison wore me down this afternoon, so I'm calling it a night and will update those in the morning.

Right now UC Davis is having no trouble with Lehigh, Montana is struggling against the Oregon Ducks but still not completely out of it, and Portland State is hanging around Boise State just enough to be annoying the Boise fans and it's pretty amusing.

Then you have East Tennessee State... thanks to lightning that seemed to know exactly when they were going to be allowed back on the field, this one isn't going to be over until 1 am local time. They had an hour delay to start the game followed by multiple delays in-game. VMI is up on them in a tight one for the second straight year and it's anybody's game right now.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a8P2j1sRY8cYzF3orhrua3dqprBlz900RQxICIGpq5M/edit?usp=sharing

If you notice any errors, let me know.

ST_Lawson
September 14th, 2019, 11:56 PM
If you notice any errors, let me know.

"Western Illinois Bulldogs"....?

gofurman
September 15th, 2019, 12:23 AM
Citadel JSU Towson strong ! Good rep v. FBS by Weber and Furman.

RootinFerDukes
September 15th, 2019, 07:13 AM
Note Weber State has now lost to their second FBS team this season, if you don’t believe in giving passes for multiple scheduled FBS games and losses.

Furman also has a second FBS loss.

TheKingpin28
September 15th, 2019, 08:32 AM
Well, I got to about 5 and then started to hit the dreaded brick wall.

Preferred Walk-On
September 15th, 2019, 08:39 AM
Well, I got to about 5 and then started to hit the dreaded brick wall.

I know that The Citadel Bulldogs are not the sheet, but just wanted to remind everyone that they have beaten a P5 FBS team and gave Elon and Towson everything they could handle.

TheKingpin28
September 15th, 2019, 09:23 AM
I know that The Citadel Bulldogs are not the sheet, but just wanted to remind everyone that they have beaten a P5 FBS team and gave Elon and Towson everything they could handle.

I wouldn't be surprised if they jumped into the poll, yet I can also see people leaving them out. IMO, anywhere between 20-NR would probably be a good place for them.

Daytripper
September 15th, 2019, 09:30 AM
North Dakota might get a look from some people. Don't be fooled, though, by their win. Sam Houston is a burning pile of hot garbage. Not sure they would win against any FCS team. HBU will blow their doors off.

Redbird 4th & short
September 15th, 2019, 09:56 AM
ISUr still struggling at QB position. Spack needs to open up position and see what else he's got. Right now, with our run game and defense, we are a top 20-25 team for sure, but if we don't figure out some semblance of pass attack, truly good defenses will shut us down.

Our defense looked very dominant but a little careless at times, maybe got a little too greedy trying to make plays. It was swarming like crazy .. 8 sacks, 15.5 TFLs .. but I'm guessing there were at least 6-8 more sacks left on field on missed tackles of their QB Brantley .. give him credit, he was tough and very slippery. If not for 3 broken plays .. QB scramble for 26 (netted 49 for day), forced fumble on QB that their WR picked up and ran for 40 yards, and then 1 screen pass for 37 yards .. those 3 plays accounted for more than half their total yards. So their other 64 plays netted 80 yards total, and would have been even less if not for their QB scrambling and breaking tackles. A week earlier, Indiana only sacked him twice.

Their run defense was solid .. they held Indiana to 114 yards on 34 carriies (3.4 ypc) in a 52-0 loss, while we got 254 yards on 51 carries, despite them stacking box.

But our pass game did nothing .. didn't need to, but it would be nice to see us work on some things for when we play teams with a real defense and offense. 21 points against EIU will not cut it in MVFC.

We still deserve top 20-25 based entirely on our defense and run game ... but until our pass game shows us something, we're looking at 7-5 or worse season. This roster is a top 10 roster, except for QB play right now. Starting to get that suffocating feeling .. suddenly Kolbe looks pretty good.

Same ol, same ol at ISUr. Clenz thinks Farley is a QB killer .. step aside, I'm now convinced Spack is his MVFC heir apparent.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 15th, 2019, 10:03 AM
I'll still have EWU ahead by Jacksonville State by a decent margin. Does that make me a bad person? In the long run I still think EWU has a considerably higher ceiling....

jmu007
September 15th, 2019, 10:13 AM
I'll still have EWU ahead by Jacksonville State by a decent margin. Does that make me a bad person? In the long run I still think EWU has a considerably higher ceiling....

I think it's too early in the year to really worry about head to head personally. Unless they just happen to be close together in your poll I wouldn't worry about it. But that's just me.

Redbird 4th & short
September 15th, 2019, 10:37 AM
EWU lost a lot, and was playing on road. According to keepers, JSU had 14+ starters returning, EWU has just 9 ... but I would be more concerned about EWUs score last week against D-II Lindenwood, giving up 31 points in 59-31 win. Lindenwood was 4-7 in D-II last year.

Looking like a down year or slow start in Cheney. Luckily, they play a very easy SOS this year ... no games against the other 3 playoff teams from last year, UC Davis, Weber St or Mont St. So they may still finish like 9-3 or 8-4, but their SOS resume will be pretty weak.

Cocky
September 15th, 2019, 10:50 AM

Would not have either very high. EWU has defensive problems and could not score much after halftime again an average JSU defense. JSU isnt real good this year.

Professor Chaos
September 15th, 2019, 11:00 AM
I do also but not by much. EWU basically dominated that game through 3 quarters and even if you look at the final stats beyond the score you'll wonder how JSU won the game. I think if that game is played in Cheney or a neutral location the result is flipped. Needless to say though I did give JSU a hefty bump though since I think this shows that they're a good team even though that opener at SELA wasn't indicative of that.

WestCoastAggie
September 15th, 2019, 11:09 AM
I do also but not by much. EWU basically dominated that game through 3 quarters and even if you look at the final stats beyond the score you'll wonder how JSU won the game. I think if that game is played in Cheney or a neutral location the result is flipped. Needless to say though I did give JSU a hefty bump though since I think this shows that they're a good team even though that opener at SELA wasn't indicative of that.

If anything, it could mean SELA could and should be ranked higher than many are placing them right now.

Professor Chaos
September 15th, 2019, 11:16 AM
If anything, it could mean SELA could and should be ranked higher than many are placing them right now.
You're probably right on that. For the second week in a row I adjusted them up moreso than what I thought that particular week's results dictated for them just because I think I undersold them to start off the season. Right now I have them ranked above both EWU and JSU.

Daytripper
September 15th, 2019, 11:28 AM
You're probably right on that. For the second week in a row I adjusted them up moreso than what I thought that particular week's results dictated for them just because I think I undersold them to start off the season. Right now I have them ranked above both EWU and JSU.

So do I. They put up a sporty fight against Ole Miss.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 15th, 2019, 11:34 AM

EWU came cross country, jumped out early before a good JSU team made a much needed second half push to avoid going 1-2. I'm definitely worried about the Eagles defense right now. It does not looks like it's Frisco or semifinal worthy. But EWU has as history of improving as the year goes on. I'm still of the belief JSU will be lucky to make it to the quarters. I think EWU is fringe Top 10, JSU fringe Top 20....

MR. CHICKEN
September 15th, 2019, 11:37 AM

.....DUELY NOTED....IN MAH POLL........B. HOPS.......DESERVE IT.........AWQ!

Big_Fan
September 15th, 2019, 11:49 AM

I think we are one step above a steaming heap right now, Our biggest problems are issues on the line, and coaching... but we were outscored by 21 in the first quarter (14 points on a kick return and a short field from a fumble), we outscored EWU by 7 in the second quarter. They outscored us by 3 in the 3rd quarter, and we shut them out and scored 21 in the 4th. I wouldn't call that dominated through 3/4 of the game.

...and yeah, I don't post a lot these days. I live in Asia and the time difference makes back and forth discussions almost impossible for me, so I don't post in threads that will die while I am sleeping. It is almost 1am here. I just couldn't lay off the "dominated for 3 quarters" comment.

...and you know what they say about stats. Look at our stats vs SLU and you will ask the same question. We outgained them by around 100 yards too.

Thanks for the hefty bump, regardless...

JSUSoutherner
September 15th, 2019, 12:14 PM

EWU dominated for 1 quarter.

We outscored them 42-17 for the rest of the game.

Also I'd argue SLU is the best team in the SLC.

Professor Chaos
September 15th, 2019, 12:15 PM
I think we are one step above a steaming heap right now, Our biggest problems are issues on the line, and coaching... but we were outscored by 21 in the first quarter (14 points on a kick return and a short field from a fumble), we outscored EWU by 7 in the second quarter. They outscored us by 3 in the 3rd quarter, and we shut them out and scored 21 in the 4th. I wouldn't call that dominated through 3/4 of the game.

...and yeah, I don't post a lot these days. I live in Asia and the time difference makes back and forth discussions almost impossible for me, so I don't post in threads that will die while I am sleeping. It is almost 1am here. I just couldn't lay off the "dominated for 3 quarters" comment.

...and you know what they say about stats. Look at our stats vs SLU and you will ask the same question. We outgained them by around 100 yards too.

Thanks for the hefty bump, regardless...
At the end of 3 quarters EWU had a 3 score lead and had JSU doubled up in total yardage (which didn't include the opening kick return TD) so that's why I said EWU had the game pretty much dominated through 3 quarters. To JSU's credit total yardage in the 4th quarter was EWU 5, JSU 109. Good teams win some games they probably shouldn't win because they make the plays when it really counts and that's exactly what JSU did so good for them. My point is I didn't come away from watching that game thinking that JSU was a superior team to EWU.

ElCid
September 15th, 2019, 12:34 PM
At the end of 3 quarters EWU had a 3 score lead and had JSU doubled up in total yardage (which didn't include the opening kick return TD) so that's why I said EWU had the game pretty much dominated through 3 quarters. To JSU's credit total yardage in the 4th quarter was EWU 5, JSU 109. Good teams win some games they probably shouldn't win because they make the plays when it really counts and that's exactly what JSU did so good for them. My point is I didn't come away from watching that game thinking that JSU was a superior team to EWU.

Yeah, but only one stat counts. If a team doesn't play all 4 quarters, are they really better? I think not.

Professor Chaos
September 15th, 2019, 12:35 PM
Yeah, but only one stat counts. If a team doesn't play all 4 quarters, are they really better? I think not.
That's true but JSU didn't show up for the 1st quarter either. I guess the moral of the story is it's better not to show up for the 1st quarter than the 4th quarter.

ElCid
September 15th, 2019, 12:36 PM
That's true but JSU didn't show up for the 1st quarter either. I guess the moral of the story is it's better not to show up for the 1st quarter than the 4th quarter.

xthumbsupx

JSUSoutherner
September 15th, 2019, 12:38 PM

This.

We got whipped in Q1 and honestly we served them up 14 easy points.

After Marlon's pick six we outgained them in yardage and outscored them by a bunch.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190915/9e9560cb80726e89b87b44d96014f015.gif

Big_Fan
September 15th, 2019, 12:41 PM

EWU had a 75 yard fieldgoal drive and a 78 yard TD drive in the second half. The rest of their offense went for a combined total of 13 yards. They had a long TD drive at the start of the 2nd quarter. They had 2 more possessions totaling 34 yards to finish the first half. They dominated the first quarter with 175 yards in the quarter. After that we played them toe to toe and dominated them in the 4th as badly as they dominated us in the first quarter. Given the lack of true ebb and flow in this game, I couldn't fathom what would happen on a neutral field or in Washington. I honestly think we could blow them out, they could blow us out, or it could be a similar game to what happened. Both of our teams have tons of firepower and the ability to blow up on defense and special teams. If EWU or JSU either one plays to their potential, we could beat almost anyone... and I honestly believe if we don't we could lose to tUNA next week.

JSUSoutherner
September 15th, 2019, 12:43 PM
EWU had a 75 yard fieldgoal drive and a 78 yard TD drive in the second half. The rest of their offense went for a combined total of 13 yards. They had a long TD drive at the start of the 2nd quarter. They had 2 more possessions totaling 34 yards to finish the first half. They dominated the first quarter with 175 yards in the quarter. After that we played them toe to toe and dominated them in the 4th as badly as they dominated us in the first quarter. Given the lack of true ebb and flow in this game, I couldn't fathom what would happen on a neutral field or in Washington. I honestly think we could blow them out, they could blow us out, or it could be a similar game to what happened. Both of our teams have tons of firepower and the ability to blow up on defense and special teams. If EWU or JSU either one plays to their potential, we could beat almost anyone... and I honestly believe if we don't we could lose to tUNA next week.

I don't think we've seen JSU play to potential yet. Lots of growing still to do with this team. But acting like we got pushed around for 3 quarters when we didn't isn't ok.

Preferred Walk-On
September 15th, 2019, 01:27 PM

Not sure just yet, but my poll definitely did reflect this sentiment.

JSUSoutherner
September 15th, 2019, 01:28 PM
Not sure just yet, but my poll definitely did reflect this sentiment.

Unless Nicholls state is better than I think they are.

I think it's a matter of time before the bubble bursts on UCA.

Preferred Walk-On
September 15th, 2019, 01:31 PM

Sorry Supe, I did not scroll down past 40 to see that you did have The Citadel in ORV. My bad.

BEAR
September 15th, 2019, 02:06 PM

Or its a matter of time before UCA gets it together and these early season games become a memory of a team that was finding its offensive identity. I've been pretty negative with my team but they have played with the balance of teamwork that is only seen in a few of our teams in the past. Once they get that offense in sync in the early quarters, look out. But if anything for them to win all three games this year after struggling on offense like they have says something about their grit. They don't quit and that will get them at least to the playoffs. But the conference will sort that out.

SLU looks good.
ACU is playing really good football.

TheKingpin28
September 15th, 2019, 02:20 PM

Even with the win, they still dropped in my poll.

JSUSoutherner
September 15th, 2019, 02:31 PM
Even with the win, they still dropped in my poll.

Yup.
I basically flipped SLU and UCA in mine.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 15th, 2019, 04:23 PM

As the guy checking ballots this is one thing I see a few people doing and I have sent messages to some that they should be considering SELA if they had not thought about it. A lot of people are undervaluing by my subjective standard but only two games on the report card makes it tough to look at them with any real concrete thoughts at this time too.

JSUSoutherner
September 15th, 2019, 04:33 PM
As the guy checking ballots this is one thing I see a few people doing and I have sent messages to some that they should be considering SELA if they had not thought about it. A lot of people are undervaluing by my subjective standard but only two games on the report card makes it tough to look at them with any real concrete thoughts at this time too.

Well their two games are beating us senseless and hanging tough with Ole Miss.

We beat the #4 team in the country yesterday.

I'd say SLU's got a pretty strong 2 game resume.

TheKingpin28
September 15th, 2019, 04:39 PM

I'd say anywhere from mid teens to low 20s would be a solid spot for them. Having that game cancelled against BCU hurts, but should not hinder.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 15th, 2019, 04:50 PM

Yes and if anyone wanted to share the email sent to them this is about dead on with my thoughts on it...

Redbird 4th & short
September 15th, 2019, 04:58 PM

Except EWU no longer looks like a #4 .. they gave up 31 points to a bad D- II team last week. Looks like they are struggling to reload on defense.

Catatonic
September 15th, 2019, 05:00 PM
I have UCA, Nicholls and SLU in my rankings in that order. This order is subject to change as SLU continues to flesh out its resume.

JSUSoutherner
September 15th, 2019, 05:01 PM
Except EWU no longer looks like a #4 .. they gave up 31 points to a bad D- II team last week. Looks like they are struggling to reload on defense.

We'll see where they fall to but as far as SLU is concerned I'd say we are looking like a pretty good win for them.

Redbird 4th & short
September 15th, 2019, 05:13 PM
We'll see where they fall to but as far as SLU is concerned I'd say we are looking like a pretty good win for them.
SLU = SELA ... agree they are off to good start. For perspective, Mississippi was a 5-7 team last year and ranked #68 by Massey. Our own 2-9 SIU played them even for 3 qtrs last year before game slipped away in Q4.

gofurman
September 15th, 2019, 05:20 PM
I think it's too early in the year to really worry about head to head personally. Unless they just happen to be close together in your poll I wouldn't worry about it. But that's just me.

This. Head to head is about matchups too. Like any conference standing 7-2 is always better than 6-3 even if. 6-3 beat the 7 win team. Body of work

JSUSoutherner
September 15th, 2019, 05:32 PM
SLU = SELA ... agree they are off to good start. For perspective, Mississippi was a 5-7 team last year and ranked #68 by Massey. Our own 2-9 SIU played them even for 3 qtrs last year before game slipped away in Q4.

They don't like it when you call them SELA

ST_Lawson
September 15th, 2019, 06:56 PM

Too bad, they're SELA...or maybe SE Lou....how about CeeLo?
SLU is Saint Louis University.

JSUSoutherner
September 15th, 2019, 07:05 PM

We could just call them the MudDogs

TheKingpin28
September 15th, 2019, 07:13 PM
We could just call them the MudDogs

How is the water down there?

JSUSoutherner
September 15th, 2019, 07:14 PM
How is the water down there?

It sucks. It really really sucks.

Gatorade is a much better beverage for your hydration needs.

ST_Lawson
September 15th, 2019, 07:20 PM

https://media.tenor.com/images/0fb1d12236167a173b20f0ff83587e9c/tenor.gif

TheKingpin28
September 15th, 2019, 08:38 PM

So that's not some high quality H2O

JSUSoutherner
September 15th, 2019, 09:44 PM
So that's not some high quality H2O

High quality H2O is the devil.

TheKingpin28
September 15th, 2019, 09:46 PM

So you play that foosball?

jsualumnus
September 15th, 2019, 09:51 PM
That high quality H2O “humidity” had some southern smother on it! Just kidding everyone....juuuussst kidding.

lionsrking2
September 15th, 2019, 10:12 PM

SLU = SLU, there is no SELA. Ole Miss is way better than last year defensively. Night and day better actually. Not nearly as good offensively but still solid. We didn't play anywhere close to our best football and were right there in the final couple of minutes. We turned the ball over 4 times, allowed a kickoff return for a TD, and overthrew three wide open receivers that would have been touchdowns. They ran the ball 50 times for 220 yards. 133 yards came on 4 plays; 87 yards on the other 46 attempts.

- - - Updated - - -

The only SELA I know is Sela Ward.

- - - Updated - - -

We are SLU. There is no SELA.

ST_Lawson
September 15th, 2019, 10:15 PM

If you type in www.slu.edu (http://www.slu.edu), what site do you get to?

lionsrking2
September 15th, 2019, 10:45 PM
If you type in www.slu.edu (http://www.slu.edu), what site do you get to?

What difference does that make?

MR. CHICKEN
September 15th, 2019, 10:58 PM

......STREET & SMIFF........HAVE 'EM 8th......OUTTAH 11................BRAWK!

MR. CHICKEN
September 15th, 2019, 11:13 PM
....SOMEBODAH HAS TA GO...TA MAKE ROOM FO'...DUH CITADEL.........DELAWARE/SELA/SE MIZZ ST/PRINCETON....OLE MISS.....PICKED LAST IN SEC WEST DIV......MIZZOURI.....3rd.........HENS LOST TA.#1......BUT SHOWED UP....2nd HALF.......PRINCETON...YET TA PLAY AFTERAH 3 WEEKS...BUT AFTERAH 2....AGS VOTERS STILL HAD 'EM 25......'TWEEN........SE.MIZZ/SE LA......WAY AH SEE IT........BRAWK!

Catatonic
September 16th, 2019, 07:22 AM
......STREET & SMIFF........HAVE 'EM 8th......OUTTAH 11................BRAWK!

Preseason guesses based on last year’s record and the overall football cred of the schools in a conference don’t mean much as the season unfolds.

I had SLU way down the list in my preseason thinking as well. A big win over a top 10 FCS program and an impressive performance against a SEC school trump preseason thinking. SLU has only played two games thanks to a hurricane related cancellation but even after two games I’ve moved Lions to third in my SLC ranking and worthy of Top 25 votes. It would be a crime to leave them out and place Jax State in the rankings after the Lions shamed the Cocks.

McCowboys
September 16th, 2019, 07:34 AM

Saying that is like saying there is only ONE "MSU" or one "ASU." Ridiculous! They are Southeastern Louisiana University.
Maybe Western Illinois should be referred to as WTIN?

MR. CHICKEN
September 16th, 2019, 07:39 AM
Preseason guesses based on last year’s record and the overall football cred of the schools in a conference don’t mean much as the season unfolds.

I had SLU way down the list in my preseason thinking as well. A big win over a top 10 FCS program and an impressive performance against a SEC school trump preseason thinking. SLU has only played two games thanks to a hurricane related cancellation but even after two games I’ve moved Lions to third in my SLC ranking and worthy of Top 25 votes. It would be a crime to leave them out and place Jax State in the rankings after the Lions shamed the Cocks.

........MAH OWN-LAH POINT...SOMEBODAH HAS TA LEAVE DUH TOP 25......IFIN' YA CAN AGREE.....DUH CITADEL......SHOOD ENTER IT.......LOOKS TA ME.....IT'S EITHER SE LA......WHIFF 11 POINT LOSS TA SEC DOORMAT......OR.....SE MIZZ ST'S.....50 POINTER TA MIZZOU......WHOSE.....RANKED THIRD BEHIND....GEORGIA AN' FLORIDA.........MAYBEAH SE LA'S DUBBYA....OVERAH G-COCKS IS JES' AGS.....WON'T KNOW FO' UH FEW WEEKS...........BRAWK!

Redbird 4th & short
September 16th, 2019, 09:03 AM
Saying that is like saying there is only ONE "MSU" or one "ASU." Ridiculous! They are Southeastern Louisiana University.
WTIN ?? I think that is already taken .. a popular country music radio station in central Illinois.

SE is pretty standard abbreviation for southeastern .. and LA is the abbreviation for Louisiana. What if another LA school were started in southern Louisian called Southern Louisiana University ??

Sycamore62
September 16th, 2019, 09:10 AM
Where's SEMO in this acronym conversation

JSUSoutherner
September 16th, 2019, 09:15 AM
Where's SEMO in this acronym conversation

SEMO realizes that just saying "SEMO" takes less effort than saying "SMU. NO, not Southern Methodist, Southeast Missouri!"

McCowboys
September 16th, 2019, 09:29 AM
WTIN ?? I think that is already taken .. a popular country music radio station in central Illinois.

SE is pretty standard abbreviation for southeastern .. and LA is the abbreviation for Louisiana. What if another LA school were started in southern Louisian called Southern Louisiana University ??

So what gives Saint Louis University the exclusive rights to SLU? Perhaps they should be STLU!
I guess Southeastern (SLU) would have the rights because they were the first university in LOUISIANA to be called SLU.
It is just disrespectful, ILNS State!

centennial
September 16th, 2019, 09:30 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miXMWJyOdgw

Sycamore62
September 16th, 2019, 09:41 AM
SEMO realizes that just saying "SEMO" takes less effort than saying "SMU. NO, not Southern Methodist, Southeast Missouri!"

Well, I think Southwest Missouri State used to go by SMS.

JSUSoutherner
September 16th, 2019, 09:44 AM
Well, I think Southwest Missouri State used to go by SMS.

There was/is a Southwest Missouri State? Where was that? Joplin?

lionsrking2
September 16th, 2019, 09:50 AM

So I assume you don't mind ILLST? ISU is already taken as well.

Sycamore62
September 16th, 2019, 09:56 AM

I remember be there in the 90's it was close to that Bass Pro store

Cocky
September 16th, 2019, 09:56 AM
So what gives Saint Louis University the exclusive rights to SLU? Perhaps they should be STLU!
I guess Southeastern (SLU) would have the rights because they were the first university in LOUISIANA to be called SLU.

But I can I call Louisiana Lafayette, ULaLa?

lionsrking2
September 16th, 2019, 10:02 AM
But I can I call Louisiana Lafayette, ULaLa?

That is a given. xnodx

In all seriousness, legally they are ULL, even though they prefer UL. A stipulation by the state legislature when they changed their name is that they had to officially use "at Lafayette" in their name. Monroe abides by it for athletics, ULL does not.

Professor Chaos
September 16th, 2019, 10:05 AM
Springfield. Today it is known as Missouri State University.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/production.thumbnails.funnyordie.com/t/177fcc0acc/c640x360_32.jpg

JSUSoutherner
September 16th, 2019, 10:06 AM
I remember be there in the 90's it was close to that Bass Pro store

Last time I was in Joplin was a couple days after it got leveled.

I did some Googling. Joplin doesn't have a Bass Pro. However, apparently Missouri State used to be Southwest Missouri and they are near a Bass Pro.

MSUBobcat
September 16th, 2019, 10:20 AM

Since St. Louis probably has more brand recognition the Southeastern LA, why didn't they realize that saying "SELA" takes less effort that saying "SLU. NO, not St. Louis, Southeastern Louisiana"....xcoffeex

Given that you say SLU would have right to the acronym over Southern Louisiana University because they were first, wouldn't that imply St. Louis University being founded over 100 years before Southeastern Louisiana University gets the same treatment? I'd also argue that more people in the US, outside of FCS football fans, are aware of St. Louis more than Southeastern Louisiana. They have much higher ranked academics, enrollments at both are pretty similar, and they're a known BB school, which carries more weight than FCS football, of which SELA hasn't had much success anyway. When you enter "SLU" into google everything that auto-populates is related to St. Louis. As has been mentioned, SE is the common abbreviation for southeast/southeastern (the Southeastern Conference is the SEC, not the SC). Seems to me that the more logical acronym would be SELU.

I don't see it as "disrespectful" any more than someone spelling Bryan with an "i" instead of a "y". A UC-D guy last year took umbrage with the dash or something last year. We weren't doing it out of lack of respect, it was just common nomenclature. Seems like a petty argument. However, if they prefer to be SLU, it's no skin off my back so I'll personally try to remember when posting.xthumbsupx

ursus arctos horribilis
September 16th, 2019, 10:37 AM
About 20 minutes of voting left so get it done if you have not yet.

Redbird 4th & short
September 16th, 2019, 10:47 AM
Because its their website which is protected.

And you can't randomly pick any letter to make up your own acronym ... like N .. unless you were butchering our name with common mispronunciation Ill of Noise .. then you get partial credit for your made up acronym.

xdrunkyx

Redbird 4th & short
September 16th, 2019, 10:55 AM
So I assume you don't mind ILLST? ISU is already taken as well.
Were pretty old .. though not sure if were the first ISU. Trying telling anything different to our different to our drunk student section when they start chanting I-S-U ... I-S-U ...

Good point .. but southeastern is in fact SE .. just ask any weatherman.

lionsrking2
September 16th, 2019, 11:02 AM
Were pretty old .. though not sure if were the first ISU. Trying telling anything different to our different to our drunk student section when they start chanting I-S-U ... I-S-U ...

Southeastern is one word. Ask any English professor. ;)

ElonFirefighter
September 16th, 2019, 11:14 AM

Lets hope they dont become a Tech University that may be a problem.

Southeastern Louisiana University of Technology

McCowboys
September 16th, 2019, 11:19 AM
Springfield. Today it is known as Missouri State University.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/production.thumbnails.funnyordie.com/t/177fcc0acc/c640x360_32.jpg

And, therefore, they shouldn't dare call themselves MSU because there were many other MSU's before them!

McCowboys
September 16th, 2019, 11:22 AM
Since St. Louis probably has more brand recognition the Southeastern LA, why didn't they realize that saying "SELA" takes less effort that saying "SLU. NO, not St. Louis, Southeastern Louisiana"....xcoffeex

Given that you say SLU would have right to the acronym over Southern Louisiana University because they were first, wouldn't that imply St. Louis University being founded over 100 years before Southeastern Louisiana University gets the same treatment? I'd also argue that more people in the US, outside of FCS football fans, are aware of St. Louis more than Southeastern Louisiana. They have much higher ranked academics, enrollments at both are pretty similar, and they're a known BB school, which carries more weight than FCS football, of which SELA hasn't had much success anyway. When you enter "SLU" into google everything that auto-populates is related to St. Louis. As has been mentioned, SE is the common abbreviation for southeast/southeastern (the Southeastern Conference is the SEC, not the SC). Seems to me that the more logical acronym would be SELU.

I don't see it as "disrespectful" any more than someone spelling Bryan with an "i" instead of a "y". A UC-D guy last year took umbrage with the dash or something last year. We weren't doing it out of lack of respect, it was just common nomenclature. Seems like a petty argument. However, if they prefer to be SLU, it's no skin off my back so I'll personally try to remember when posting.xthumbsupx

The question was about another university in Louisiana (though that person had misspelled Louisiana), and that was what I was referring to.
And your school has not right to use "MSU" if you have been following the logic of others who have posted here because you were not the first. Maybe MOSU would fit?

Professor Chaos
September 16th, 2019, 11:26 AM
And, therefore, they shouldn't dare call themselves MSU because there were many other MSU's before them!
It is annoying when people do that. Just like it irritates me when some people refer to their team/school as just "State" or "The U".

McCowboys
September 16th, 2019, 11:35 AM
The question was about another university in Louisiana (though that person had misspelled Louisiana), and that was what I was referring to.
And your school has not right to use "MSU" if you have been following the logic of others who have posted here because you were not the first. Maybe MOSU would fit?

So glad spelling doesn't matter to you. MOSU Bobkats, Mr. (or MS.) Bobkat. That has a nice ring to it!

And, yes, it is courtesy like pronouncing NDSU BiZon instead of, you know.

MSUBobcat
September 16th, 2019, 11:39 AM

This is a fun debate, vs. that nonsense "running up the score" debate. So much anger. But it involves NDSU not SLU, so there is that.

Anyway, southeastern IS one word. However, if you were to abbreviate it.... it's not 1 letter. If I'm 100 miles southeast of you and giving you directions, "100 mi. S" is quite a difference from "100 mi. SE". You may not even end up in the right county.

I did look up Northwestern State University and they're NSU, so it's consistently applied. Similarly, Northwestern, of the prestigious Big Ten, goes by NU. As I said, I have no issue with what SLU wants to be called and will make every effort to adapt to your preference.

Sycamore62
September 16th, 2019, 11:45 AM
Well, Blue and Red are not anywhere in the name of Illinois State or Indiana State so I'm going with SELA.

momma name him Clay, I'm gonna call him Clay.

MSUBobcat
September 16th, 2019, 11:47 AM
So glad spelling doesn't matter to you. MOSU Bobkats, Mr. (or MS.) Bobkat. That has a nice ring to it!

And, yes, it is courtesy like pronouncing NDSU BiZon instead of, you know.

Actually, I thought I had said that wouldn't matter to me, but I must have forgot to re-add it when I added a response to JSU. I meant to say, feel free to call us MTSU if it pleases you. There's already MSU's before us, but we were before Middle Tennessee State University so... **** them!

MOSU would be Misery State, as MT is the abbreviation for Montana, not MO. And absolutely do NOT call us Bobkats! We know how to spell "cat" unlike a certain school in your conference. Jebus.

- - - Updated - - -

It is annoying when people do that. Just like it irritates me when some people refer to their team/school as just "State" or "The U".

This makes me want to throat punch people. Pompous assholes.

JSUSoutherner
September 16th, 2019, 12:41 PM

Miami is allowed.

Mississippi State fans would be very angry but I agree with the State thing

caribbeanhen
September 16th, 2019, 12:49 PM

but my mind works in compass points

SE SW NW NE

Redbird 4th & short
September 16th, 2019, 05:08 PM
This is a fun debate, vs. that nonsense "running up the score" debate. So much anger. But it involves NDSU not SLU, so there is that.

Anyway, southeastern IS one word. However, if you were to abbreviate it.... it's not 1 letter. If I'm 100 miles southeast of you and giving you directions, "100 mi. S" is quite a difference from "100 mi. SE". You may not even end up in the right county.

This guy gets it ... badda book badda boom !

https://d2z1w4aiblvrwu.cloudfront.net/ad/AvZh/choice-hotels-badda-book-badda-boom-large-3.jpg
(https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi-yceMq9bkAhVNQ6wKHfIfCCoQjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ispot.tv%2Fad%2FAvZh%2Fchoic e-hotels-badda-book-badda-boom&psig=AOvVaw1QeI7BEel1LTucv_UZgmn3&ust=1568757396893514)

Redbird 4th & short
September 16th, 2019, 05:13 PM
so is southern and southwestern .. I just checked with the exact same english professor. He said to say hello and that I am right xnodx xdrunkyx

lionsrking2
September 16th, 2019, 10:25 PM

I did look up Northwestern State University and they're NSU, so it's consistently applied. Similarly, Northwestern, of the prestigious Big Ten, goes by NU. As I said, I have no issue with what SLU wants to be called and will make every effort to adapt to your preference.

The purpose for abbreviation in this instance isn't directional. It's an abbreviation of a name. There is a difference.

Sycamore62
September 17th, 2019, 12:22 PM
Im trying to find the Southland Conference pick em. Closest i can find is the SLC pick em

Bisonator
September 17th, 2019, 02:34 PM
No you're not. Just stop already. You're a directional school. Southeastern Louisiana University is SELA. OWN IT!:D

Sycamore62
September 17th, 2019, 02:40 PM
not lying, when I see SLU, I assume its Salt Lake University and I dont even know if that exists.

uni88
September 17th, 2019, 02:48 PM

You weren't but you might have been the first ISNU (Illinois State Normal University).

Sycamore62
September 17th, 2019, 02:52 PM
You weren't but you might have been the first ISNU (Illinois State Normal University).

Ironically we were the second ISNS

uni88
September 17th, 2019, 02:56 PM
Ironically we were the second ISNS

Au contraire, they were ISNU and you were ISNS before UNI was ISNS so you were the first ISNS unless some school in Idaho beat you to the punch.

Sycamore62
September 17th, 2019, 03:25 PM
Au contraire, they were ISNU and you were ISNS before UNI was ISNS so you were the first ISNS unless some school in Idaho beat you to the punch.

I caught that right after I posted it and hoped nobody would notice. we later changed to the ISTC

Redbird 4th & short
September 17th, 2019, 03:26 PM
how'd you say that without stuttering ???

Redbird 4th & short
September 17th, 2019, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by lionsrking2https://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png
(https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?p=2800873#post2800873)We are SLU. There is no SELA.

No you're not. Just stop already. You're a directional school. Southeastern Louisiana University is SELA. OWN IT!:D

classic exchange here .. well worth the complete waste of time this entire thread is xdrunkyx

Sycamore62
September 17th, 2019, 03:54 PM
how'd you say that without stuttering ???

on weed

ST_Lawson
September 18th, 2019, 08:16 AM
on weed

shhhh.....not until January

bwbear
September 21st, 2019, 09:43 PM
classic exchange here .. well worth the complete waste of time this entire thread is xdrunkyx

Not to rehash this argument, but even ESPN+ thinks the are SELA.

RootinFerDukes
September 22nd, 2019, 06:43 AM
Superman, will there be a how they fared document this week?

Redbird 4th & short
September 22nd, 2019, 10:25 AM
Not to rehash this argument, but even ESPN+ thinks the are SELA.

Not to rehash ??? I think we're way past that point already .. so absolutely no need to apologize.