PDA

View Full Version : FCS Teams and Regular Season Scheduling Opinions (Catch-all)

bonarae
September 13th, 2019, 06:34 PM
Seems that the NDSU having very few OOC regular season road games thread has gone out of hand.

In one of my replies in that thread, I gave my POV towards the Ivy side. The Presidents, SIDs and HCs of the Ivy League do not readily admit future scheduling of games as a challenge for them, hence only Dartmouth has completed their full schedules until the late 2020's.

For the scholarship FCS teams, what do you all prefer for your regular season scheduling?

Playoff game rematches? Regional FCS-FCS? Routine games with PFL teams or fellow HBCUs? Money games with FBS, whether regional or faraway?

Discuss here. xcoffeex

TheKingpin28
September 13th, 2019, 06:59 PM
3 options:

11 Game
-6 Home Games
-Solid FCS OOC (Home/Away)
-Decent FCS OOC (Home/Away)
-Pioneer FCS OOC (Home)

11 Game
-6 Home Games
-FBS OOC (Away)
-Easy FCS OOC (Home)
-Pioneer OOC (Home)

12 Game
-6/7 Home games
-FBS OOC (Away)
-FCS OOC (Home/Away)
-Pioneer (Home)

Sader87
September 13th, 2019, 07:36 PM
The PL allows for a lot of flexibility due to a 6 game league schedule.

Works for HC as we can play 2 or 3 local Ivies, maybe 1 local CAA, maybe a NEC game some years and lately an FBS game.

Really no need for HC to travel too far with the plethora of D1 football schools in the Northeast.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 14th, 2019, 07:36 AM
For me:

6 home games always at least. Last year NDSU had 7 regular season home games and it was great. If no FBS can get scheduled then add another home game.

Redbird 4th & short
September 14th, 2019, 08:00 AM
3 options:

11 Game
-6 Home Games
-Decent FCS OOC (Home/Away)
-Pioneer FCS OOC (Home)

11 Game
-6 Home Games
-FBS OOC (Away)
-Easy FCS OOC (Home)
-Pioneer OOC (Home)

12 Game
-6/7 Home games
-FBS OOC (Away)
-FCS OOC (Home/Away)
-Pioneer (Home)

Exactly my preferences for ISUr .. and most years we get this done, except for that stupid NAIA game last year and 2014 when Ball St bought us out of our end of h&h ... smart move by them that year.

p.s. but since conference schedules are also a variable in some conferencs ... I would also love to be able to get away with not playing 2 or 3 of the best MVFC conference games like some of our friends in Colonial and Big Sky do every year xpeacex

Redbird 4th & short
September 14th, 2019, 08:11 AM
The PL allows for a lot of flexibility due to a 6 game league schedule.

Works for HC as we can play 2 or 3 local Ivies, maybe 1 local CAA, maybe a NEC game some years and lately an FBS game.

Really no need for HC to travel too far with the plethora of D1 football schools in the Northeast.

I'll bet your AD hates that flexibility .. OOC scheduling is pain in arse. ISUr has it easy ... we focus heavily on FBS game and patsy game, then we have our 100+ year OOC h&h rivalry game against EIU every year. Our AD has it very easy by comparison. I do kind of wish we started spreading out the EIU rivalry game over more years so we could start scheduling different FCS games more often .. not just the years we play 12 games.

F'N Hawks
September 14th, 2019, 08:14 AM
Exactly my preferences for ISUr .. and most years we get this done, except for that stupid NAIA game last year and 2014 when Ball St bought us out of our end of h&h ... smart move by them that year.

p.s. but since conference schedules are also a variable in some conferencs ... I would also love to be able to get away with not playing 2 or 3 of the best MVFC conference games like some of our friends in Colonial and Big Sky do every year xpeacex

The. Valley.

Iridebikes
September 14th, 2019, 08:26 AM
Speaking from the west coast (Big Sky Conference) One FBS game a season is a requirement for most of us because of budgetary concerns. Beyond that I sure wish that we could arrange more games with CAA, SOCON and SLC teams. Not too interested in IVY or HBCU games since they don't care to participate in the playoffs. Not sure that scheduling NEC, Patriot of HBCU's would draw all that much excitement due brand familiarity and level of competition. All games against NAIA schools should be eliminated. D2 game should be minimized. Have really appreciated the MVFC -BIg Sky series that is going on and wish arrangements could be made with other conferences.

Sader87
September 14th, 2019, 01:34 PM
I'll bet your AD hates that flexibility .. OOC scheduling is pain in arse. ISUr has it easy ... we focus heavily on FBS game and patsy game, then we have our 100+ year OOC h&h rivalry game against EIU every year. Our AD has it very easy by comparison. I do kind of wish we started spreading out the EIU rivalry game over more years so we could start scheduling different FCS games more often .. not just the years we play 12 games.

HC is pretty fortunate in that regard. Due to its geography, football history with Iviies, other OOC schools etc we really haven't had too difficult a time in scheduling.

On the field has been the problem :)

Catbooster
September 14th, 2019, 02:03 PM
6 home games. The fans want that, it helps sell season tickets, we draw a large enough crowd to do well on home games and the AD has confirmed this.

4 will be conference, so we need 2 home games out of 3 OOC games in an 11 game season.

This season, we are returning the WIU H-H and playing an FBS game, so we brought in two FCS teams that would take a one and done deal (unless I've heard wrong).

We could alternate two FCS H-H deals, but then we have to find someone to pay to come here every year. Sometimes it's hard to find that team, and we end up with a D-II team so that sucks. We also can't play FBS teams if we alternate 2 FCS H-H deals other than in 12 game season.

I'd like to see a H-H with two different solid FCS teams (1 home, 1 away) each year with another FCS home game with whoever. But I think the players like to play the FBS games. So some kind of staggering of the H-H deals every few years would be nice to allow FBS games at least once, better twice during each player's career (12 game seasons would also help with this).

DFW HOYA
September 14th, 2019, 02:06 PM
How this for a timely subject?

http://georgetownfootball.blogspot.com/2019/09/cua-wth.html

crusader11
September 14th, 2019, 03:54 PM
How this for a timely subject?

http://georgetownfootball.blogspot.com/2019/09/cua-wth.html

Georgetown would have been better served holding an intrasquad scrimmage today rather than playing Catholic.

Absolutely embarrassing that this game was scheduled years in advance.

A shame because Georgetown has a halfway decent team this year (at least relative to other PL clubs), but having games like this on the schedule makes one question how serious they are about football.

bonarae
September 15th, 2019, 07:41 AM
Georgetown would have been better served holding an intrasquad scrimmage today rather than playing Catholic.

Absolutely embarrassing that this game was scheduled years in advance.

A shame because Georgetown has a halfway decent team this year (at least relative to other PL clubs), but having games like this on the schedule makes one question how serious they are about football.

But why did FBSchedules not list it before announcing the whole Hoya schedule this year? I am still curious how long Harvard convinced any HBCUs to come to Boston...