PDA

View Full Version : This will be only NDSU's 4th OOC road FCS game in the past 9 seasons

Pages : [1] 2

FUGameBreaker
September 11th, 2019, 10:30 PM
Counting this Saturday's game at Delaware, 4 total OOC road FCS games spanning 2011-2019

Must Be Nice! xthumbsupx

Preferred Walk-On
September 11th, 2019, 10:37 PM
Counting this Saturday's game at Delaware, 4 total OOC road FCS games spanning 2011-2019

Must Be Nice! xthumbsupx

It is. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FUGameBreaker
September 11th, 2019, 10:38 PM
Also in those 9 seasons NDSU will have played only 5 FBS games (yes, I know its hard for them to schedule FBS games)

Conversely (for example) Furman will have played 11 FBS games in that span

Makes the road game # even more interesting

- - - Updated - - -

It is. [emoji6]

Haha, I bet!

bonarae
September 11th, 2019, 10:42 PM
Also, it is even rarer that they play east of Ohio. PL/Ivy, you need to vacate a game or two for NDSU. You're next. xthumbsupx (Ivy may be out of reach for the Bison xsmhx)

cx500d
September 11th, 2019, 10:45 PM
Also in those 9 seasons NDSU will have played only 5 FBS games (yes, I know its hard for them to schedule FBS games)

Conversely (for example) Furman will have played 11 FBS games in that span

Makes the road game # even more interesting

- - - Updated - - -

Haha, I bet!

FBS loves playing cucpcakes

FUGameBreaker
September 11th, 2019, 10:51 PM
FBS loves playing cucpcakes

Yes I am sure they prefer playing an actual FCS team as opposed to playing an FBS team still playing in FCS

MR. CHICKEN
September 11th, 2019, 10:52 PM
....MARSHALL....USED TA CALL DUH SHOTS..........NOW DUH BIZONSSSSS DO..............BRAWK!

FUGameBreaker
September 11th, 2019, 10:53 PM
Also, it is even rarer that they play east of Ohio. PL/Ivy, you need to vacate a game or two for NDSU. You're next. xthumbsupx (Ivy may be out of reach for the Bison xsmhx)

When was the last time they played on the east coast?

bonarae
September 11th, 2019, 11:14 PM

Statesboro, GA, in 2006.

Hammersmith
September 11th, 2019, 11:16 PM

2006 if you count Georgia Southern(about 60 miles from the Atlantic).
1981 for mid-Atlantic - Shippensburg University(PA) in the DII playoffs

Believe the furthest east was Mount Saint Charles(RI) in 1929.

Redbird 4th & short
September 11th, 2019, 11:38 PM
The inference of this thread is kind of stupid. Golden rule of economics .. they draw 18k every game which is where the gold comes from. Plus they kind of win a lot. So they have all the leverage and therefore make the rules.

Would they have more losses if they had more road games .. doubt it bit maybe 1 in their 8 year run.

MSUBobcat
September 12th, 2019, 12:21 AM

Must Be Nice! xthumbsupx

Do like the rest of us.... Hope your team knocks them off their perch, rather than show how much you're green with envy rather than Furple.

dgtw
September 12th, 2019, 04:20 AM
It’s good to be king.

Cocky
September 12th, 2019, 06:17 AM
Not that they owe the FCS brand anything but it would help if NDSU hit the road more. Please come to Jacksonville for a game. To my knowledge the last trip was 77? and it was in Anniston because of stadium expansion.

UpstateBison
September 12th, 2019, 06:17 AM

Must Be Nice! xthumbsupx

I think it is 10. 6 of the games in Frisco have been OOC.

OhioHen
September 12th, 2019, 06:23 AM

Those don't qualify as road games as it is a (theoretically) neutral site - but we all know it is really Fargodome South.

bonarae
September 12th, 2019, 06:31 AM
Those don't qualify as road games as it is a (theoretically) neutral site - but we all know it is really Fargodome South.

The four the OP is referring to is the number of regular season OOC road games.

BEAR
September 12th, 2019, 06:44 AM
Wish our AD would take an idea from NDSU. I think we've been successful going on a yearly road trip to an FCS and SEC or BIGwhatever team. Sure would be nice to have 6 or 7 home games yearly. I mean of our first 6 games this year 5 are on the road. Sucks for fans.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 12th, 2019, 07:03 AM
I think the local radio play by play guys said NDSU is 39-3 in road games the last 9 or 10 years.

They don't have to go on the road for OOC games.

Home games make more $$$ than a FBS pay game.

Bisonator
September 12th, 2019, 07:26 AM
This is dumb. Why would we play east of Ohio or on the east coast? How often do eastern teams travel west of Ohio?? When's the last time Furman played a regular season OOC game west of the Mississippi???

bonarae
September 12th, 2019, 08:07 AM
This is dumb. Why would we play east of Ohio or on the east coast? How often do eastern teams travel west of Ohio?? When's the last time Furman played a regular season OOC game west of the Mississippi???

For the Ivies, we rarely play scholarship teams west of Ohio at all. We more often play PFL teams west of Ohio. xsmhx

Last Furman OOC game west of the Mississippi was at Mizzou in 2009.

dewey
September 12th, 2019, 08:10 AM
Good informational post from Jeff Kolpack.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190912/85956fb403dfc6079522a2d9f42b945c.jpg

Dewey

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Professor Chaos
September 12th, 2019, 08:17 AM
Not that they owe the FCS brand anything but it would help if NDSU hit the road more. Please come to Jacksonville for a game. To my knowledge the last trip was 77? and it was in Anniston because of stadium expansion.
I'd like to see NDSU schedule a home/home with JSU as well. JSU is one of the few premier FCS teams that they haven't played (in the regular season) yet that would probably agree to it. I've heard rumors that even a certain CAA school has turned down a home/home offer with NDSU.

clenz
September 12th, 2019, 08:27 AM
The inference of this thread is kind of stupid. Golden rule of economics .. they draw 18k every game which is where the gold comes from. Plus they kind of win a lot. So they have all the leverage and therefore make the rules.

Would they have more losses if they had more road games .. doubt it bit maybe 1 in their 8 year run.
Also - IIRC they actually play better on the road than at home over that span - IBY can correct me as I know he's shared the numbers before on this type of topic.

The ironic thing is I looked at Furman's schedule

Excluding playoffs - because those aren't scheduled they are foced and FBS buy games the last time Furman played west of the Appalachians was.....

I couldn't find one. I went back to 1970 and I could not find a single one that wasn't conference/playoff/buy game.

Hell, they don't even leave the ****ing area from Central Virginia to Central Georgia

Here is every OOC FCS game i could find outside of that mid Atlantic range

Cogate 2017, 2008
Hofstra 2007
Villanova 2002
UCONN 1993, 1991

Dumb thread made by a person with zero sense of irony when it comes to bitching about not traveling for OOC games.

Redbird 4th & short
September 12th, 2019, 08:32 AM
I'd like to see NDSU schedule a home/home with JSU as well. JSU is one of the few premier FCS teams that they haven't played (in the regular season) yet that would probably agree to it. I've heard rumors that even a certain CAA school has turned down a home/home offer with NDSU.
I heard credible rumor that prior to 2014 season after Ball State bought us out of our end of the h&h in 2014, we got forced to schedule a 2nd patsy game. But we were reportedly trying very hard to get a decent FCS game to fill the Ball St gameslot and (pre-Houston) JMU had an opening .. but they refused to play us at Hancock. Obviously, I don't know this to be 100% factual, but the source was very credible.

Back to this NDSU road OOC nonsense seemingly inferring their record is better because of this . otherwise, why bring it up .. right ? NDSU is 58-6 in MVFC play since 2011 in regular season. Break that down into home and road, they are 28-4 at home, and 30-2 on road ... so they are better on road than at home in MVFC play ... annually the toughest conference in FCS since 2011.

IBleedYellow
September 12th, 2019, 08:34 AM
It's good to be king.

Redbird 4th & short
September 12th, 2019, 08:35 AM
Also - IIRC they actually play better on the road than at home over that span - IBY can correct me as I know he's shared the numbers before on this type of topic.

Excluding playoffs - because those aren't scheduled they are foced and FBS buy games the last time Furman played west of the Appalachians was.....

I couldn't find one. I went back to 1970 and I could not find a single one that wasn't conference/playoff/buy game.

Hell, they don't even leave the ****ing area from Central Virginia to Central Georgia

Cogate 2017, 2008
Hofstra 2007
Villanova 2002
UCONN 1993, 1991

Dumb thread made by a person with zero sense of irony when it comes to bitching about not traveling for OOC games.
read your mind ... see above.

93henfan
Furman was also famous for scheduling a home and home with Delaware ten years ago, playing the first game in SC, then backing out of the return game in Newark the following year.

POD Knows
I like the “quality” H & H OOC games and will now have went to 3 out of 4 in recent years, missed the Weber State game. I would prefer to go to games out west but would probably go any site if it was decent. I think a home and home with Harvard would be awesome. Never been to Boston.

PaladinFan
September 12th, 2019, 08:51 AM

Cogate 2017, 2008
Hofstra 2007
Villanova 2002
UCONN 1993, 1991

I haven't read the entire thread, but it doesn't seem compelling to argue that they haven't played west of the Appalachians when they played in New York two years ago.

It's just as far for Furman to go play Lamar in Beaumont, Texas as it is to play Colgate in Hamilton, NY. I'm not sure why it matters whether they are going west or north.

clenz
September 12th, 2019, 08:51 AM
I heard credible rumor that prior to 2014 season after Ball State bought us out of our end of the h&h in 2014, we got forced to schedule a 2nd patsy game. But we were reportedly trying very hard to get a decent FCS game to fill the Ball St gameslot and (pre-Houston) JMU had an opening .. but they refused to play us at Hancock. Obviously, I don't know this to be 100% factual, but the source was very credible.

Back to this NDSU road OOC nonsense seemingly inferring their record is better because of this . otherwise, why bring it up .. right ? NDSU is 58-6 in MVFC play since 2011 in regular season. Break that down into home and road, they are 28-4 at home, and 30-2 on road ... so they are better on road than at home in MVFC play ... annually the toughest conference in FCS since 2011.
Not only that the road losses were

2014 a UNI team that was top 10 in terms of talent in the FCS and landed 9 guys on NFL rosters - including David Johnson
2017 a SDSU team that finished the season 11-3 and was a semi finalist

Now their home losses?
2016 8-4 (7-1) SDSU - (used only D1 and scholarship wins) - "acceptable" home loss

but then

2015 5-6 (3-5) South Dakota
2012 5-4 (5-3) Indiana State (used only D1 and scholarship wins)
2011 4-5 (4-5) Youngstown State (used only D1 and scholarship wins)

NDSU doesn't lose...but when they do it's almost exclusively because they are at home and overlooking a bottom half MVFC team and are complacent and flat (as is the dome).

On the road? They are laser focused and you have to be a top 3 or 4 caliber team to knock them off.

PaladinFan
September 12th, 2019, 08:53 AM
Furman was also famous for scheduling a home and home with Delaware ten years ago, playing the first game in SC, then backing out of the return game in Newark the following year.

You all are going to have to get over that.

Home and Homes are governed by contracts. Delaware and Furman had a contract that Missouri bought out. Delaware got paid for their trouble and still scheduled a home game.

IBleedYellow
September 12th, 2019, 08:54 AM
Not only that the road losses were

2014 a UNI team that was top 10 in terms of talent in the FCS and landed 9 guys on NFL rosters - including David Johnson
2017 a SDSU team that finished the season 11-3 and was a semi finalist

Now their home losses?
2016 8-4 (7-1) SDSU - (used only D1 and scholarship wins) - "acceptable" home loss

but then

2015 5-6 (3-5) South Dakota
2012 5-4 (5-3) Indiana State (used only D1 and scholarship wins)
2011 4-5 (4-5) Youngstown State (used only D1 and scholarship wins)

NDSU doesn't lose...but when they do it's almost exclusively because they are at home and overlooking a bottom half MVFC team and are complacent and flat (as is the dome).

On the road? They are laser focused and you have to be a top 3 or 4 caliber team to knock them off.Doing my work for me. Thanks.

One more thing: Those that complain about NDSU having so many home games need to realize that we earn them by not losing on the road.

Also. Yikes I forgot just how bad those losses were.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

AmsterBison
September 12th, 2019, 08:55 AM

Jacksonville State - I'd want a 2 for 1 (or maybe a home, away, neutral.)

McNeese75
September 12th, 2019, 08:56 AM
Doing my work for me. Thanks.

One more thing: Those that complain about NDSU having so many home games need to realize that we earn them by not losing on the road.

Curious, Any idea what NDSU pays teams to play in the Dome? The fact that you can pack the place and make enough to pay others to play makes a world of difference. I would doubt visiting (OOC) teams would play a one and done series without compensation.

Professor Chaos
September 12th, 2019, 09:00 AM
Curious, Any idea what NDSU pays teams to play in the Dome? The fact that you can pack the place and make enough to pay others to play makes a world of difference. I would doubt visiting (OOC) teams would play a one and done series without compensation.
Recently it's been in the $200K plus range. I believe the guarantee game agreement they came to with NC A&T recently was for $250K but I'll see if I can dig up the tweet where one of the media guys who covers NDSU listed them all off.

EDIT: It was $240K for A&T. UC Davis this year was also $240K.

https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/1085649858436857857

The article in that tweet references a few others. The $300K to Charleston Southern in 2016 was a bit misleading because I think ESPN chipped in for that since it was the FCS Kickoff game and they had just gotten a $200K buyout from Western Carolina to get out of their guarantee game in Fargo so they could play another FBS game.

https://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/the-price-of-doing-business-in-non-conference-scheduling/

IBleedYellow
September 12th, 2019, 09:02 AM
Recently it's been in the $200K plus range. I believe the guarantee game agreement they came to with NC A&T recently was for $250K but I'll see if I can dig up the tweet where one of the media guys who covers NDSU listed them all off.Unless you're UND then we pay you 80k and 120k or something hilariously under the going rate. [emoji38]

clenz
September 12th, 2019, 09:03 AM
I haven't read the entire thread, but it doesn't seem compelling to argue that they haven't played west of the Appalachians when they played in New York just last year.

It's just as far for Furman to go play Lamar in Beaumont, Texas as it is to play Colgate in Hamilton, NY. I'm not sure why it matters whether they are going west or north.
If you haven't read the thread you are missing the complaining about lack of road games and pointing out last time NDSU played out east was in the 70s or some **** like that. If it doesn't matter that Furman doesn't leave the central atlantic because they are going 600 miles, why does it matter what direction NDSU goes to play OOC games? Just because they don't go east? NDSU is traveling significantly further for their road OOC games than the extreme further example you have of Furman going anywhere to play an FCS team

And it was started by a Furman fan, which is why your scheduling is now the one being **** on.

It's 659 miles straight line from Furman to Colgate

It's 500 miles for NDSU to go to ****ing UNI - one of the closest MVFC opponents.

NDSU has played at Montana State which is 680 miles straight line
NDSU has played at Montana - which is 820 miles straight line.
NDSU has played at Weber State - which is 850 miles straight line
NDSU has played at Eastern Washington - which is 980 miles straight line
NDSU has played at Stephan F Austin - which is 1,060 miles
NDSU has played at Northwestern State - which is 1,060 miles
NDSU has played at Sam Houston State - which is 1130 miles

NDSU to Delaware is 1,100 miles straight line

Let's not act like it's NDSU and teams in the midwest and west that aren't willing to travel for a ****ing game.

Professor Chaos
September 12th, 2019, 09:07 AM
Unless you're UND then we pay you 80k and 120k or something hilariously under the going rate. [emoji38]

Izzo said $125K for the game in '15 and $140K for the game this year in that article from my edit above but I thought when they originally agreed to the deal it was less than that. I thought it was like $120K total for 2 games. Still a bargain regardless though.

clenz
September 12th, 2019, 09:07 AM
Doing my work for me. Thanks.

Also. Yikes I forgot just how bad those losses were.

https://pics.me.me/i-got-your-back-fam-quicknenre-com-20993547.png

clenz
September 12th, 2019, 09:08 AM
Recently it's been in the $200K plus range. I believe the guarantee game agreement they came to with NC A&T recently was for $250K but I'll see if I can dig up the tweet where one of the media guys who covers NDSU listed them all off.

EDIT: It was $240K for A&T. UC Davis this year was also $240K.

https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/1085649858436857857

The article in that tweet references a few others. The $300K to Charleston Southern in 2016 was a bit misleading because I think ESPN chipped in for that since it was the FCS Kickoff game and they had just gotten a $200K buyout from Western Carolina to get out of their guarantee game in Fargo so they could play another FBS game.

https://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/the-price-of-doing-business-in-non-conference-scheduling/
And NDSU is paying more than other FCS teams do because others know they are going to get beat the **** down, so they want extra money.

SIU and ISUr have also bought MVSU - for much cheaper.

93henfan
September 12th, 2019, 09:20 AM
You all are going to have to get over that.

Home and Homes are governed by contracts. Delaware and Furman had a contract that Missouri bought out. Delaware got paid for their trouble and still scheduled a home game.

Just letting people know, if they're going to do business with Furman to get the first game away from Furman, because they'll keep shopping even after they give you the receipt.

JSUSoutherner
September 12th, 2019, 09:37 AM
Jacksonville State - I'd want a 2 for 1.

Yeah that ain't happening.

mvfcfan
September 12th, 2019, 09:41 AM
NDSU typically schedules light in the non-conference. Then in MVFC play no one really challenges them except SDSU, and maybe UNI if the game is at UNI. Then NDSU gets rewarded for scheduling light every year by getting home games in the playoffs until Frisco. I am not a NDSU hater by any means. They are crazy good and would probably win the nat'l title regardless or win tougher games if they scheduled them, but as a fan I would like to see them win a title that requires them to play a couple of games outside the Fargodome. Last time that happened they lost to EWU in OT which seems like forever ago. Not too many teams can go on the road and win in a loud sold out dome.

However one could argue why would they schedule tougher games or road games when they don't have to. However in those 4 OOC games I know they lost to Montana. Not sure they lost to anyone else.

Like I said I am not an NDSU hater and I admire the program and their dynasty. Just making a point that when you play 10 home games on average every year it does make a difference especially with their noisy crowd.

JSUSoutherner
September 12th, 2019, 09:45 AM
Just letting people know, if they're going to do business with Furman to get the first game away from Furman, because they'll keep shopping even after they give you the receipt.

Can confirm.

dewey
September 12th, 2019, 09:52 AM
NDSU typically schedules light in the non-conference. Then in MVFC play no one really challenges them except SDSU, and maybe UNI if the game is at UNI. Then NDSU gets rewarded for scheduling light every year by getting home games in the playoffs until Frisco. I am not a NDSU hater by any means. They are crazy good and would probably win the nat'l title regardless or win tougher games if they scheduled them, but as a fan I would like to see them win a title that requires them to play a couple of games outside the Fargodome. Last time that happened they lost to EWU in OT which seems like forever ago. Not too many teams can go on the road and win in a loud sold out dome.

However one could argue why would they schedule tougher games or road games when they don't have to. However in those 4 OOC games I know they lost to Montana. Not sure they lost to anyone else.

Like I said I am not an NDSU hater and I admire the program and their dynasty. Just making a point that when you play 10 home games on average every year it does make a difference especially with their noisy crowd.

Typically from 2010 to 2016 NDSU would play a regional FBS team and 2 weaker OOC FCS teams at the Fargodome. This recipe has worked great in terms of recruiting, getting young players game experience early in the season and also the finances.

The NDSU athletic department has said they want to make sure they have 6 home games because it is important to the fans and the Fargodome is routinely sold out.

Also NDSU has realized why schedule a touch OOC schedule when the MVFC is one of the two best, if not the best, conference.

The last time NDSU scheduled a tough OOC was in 2016.
Home to a highly ranked Charleston Southern, highly ranked Eastern Washington and @Iowa.

I think they realized that even though they won those 3 games the backups and younger players did not get many meaningful snaps and when they needed that depth in the playoffs they didn't have it.

One of the key ingredients for NDSU is the fans. They fill the Fargodome and will travel anywhere to faithfully follow the Bison. This makes money which makes it so NDSU doesn't have to travel.

Unfortunately regional FBS teams don't want to play NDSU any more. Now it is Oregon, Colorado and Arizona in 2020, 2022 and 2024.

I would love to see NDSU throttle Minnesota, Iowa State, Illinois or any MAC school but those teams will not play NDSU.

Dewey

Mattymc727
September 12th, 2019, 09:56 AM
I think the last time UNH even left the Northeast for an OOC game (Not FBS), was back in 2005 against Cal Poly. No Return game for that either, I think it was a recruiting decision by Chip Kelly.

PaladinFan
September 12th, 2019, 10:14 AM
If you haven't read the thread you are missing the complaining about lack of road games and pointing out last time NDSU played out east was in the 70s or some **** like that. If it doesn't matter that Furman doesn't leave the central atlantic because they are going 600 miles, why does it matter what direction NDSU goes to play OOC games? Just because they don't go east? NDSU is traveling significantly further for their road OOC games than the extreme further example you have of Furman going anywhere to play an FCS team

And it was started by a Furman fan, which is why your scheduling is now the one being **** on.

It's 659 miles straight line from Furman to Colgate

It's 500 miles for NDSU to go to ****ing UNI - one of the closest MVFC opponents.

NDSU has played at Montana State which is 680 miles straight line
NDSU has played at Montana - which is 820 miles straight line.
NDSU has played at Weber State - which is 850 miles straight line
NDSU has played at Eastern Washington - which is 980 miles straight line
NDSU has played at Stephan F Austin - which is 1,060 miles
NDSU has played at Northwestern State - which is 1,060 miles
NDSU has played at Sam Houston State - which is 1130 miles

NDSU to Delaware is 1,100 miles straight line

Let's not act like it's NDSU and teams in the midwest and west that aren't willing to travel for a ****ing game.

Right, same dude that only shows up during football season.

There are geographic considerations in scheduling FCS games. Furman doesn't have to travel as far to play games because there are just more D1 football teams in the south than there are in other parts of the country (there are 9 teams in SC alone).

Folks can dump on the schedule, but Furman has tended to schedule better than most FCS teams. They'll play tough OCC games - they just don't necessarily have to travel cross country to do it.

FUGameBreaker
September 12th, 2019, 10:18 AM

Exactly xthumbsupx

- - - Updated - - -

That's not a road game partner

FUGameBreaker
September 12th, 2019, 10:20 AM
I think the local radio play by play guys said NDSU is 39-3 in road games the last 9 or 10 years.

They don't have to go on the road for OOC games.

Home games make more $$$ than a FBS pay game.

Like I said earlier, FBS team stuck playing in FCS

JSUSoutherner
September 12th, 2019, 10:20 AM
Exactly xthumbsupx

- - - Updated - - -

I'd argue Frisco is just another home game for NDSU.

FUGameBreaker
September 12th, 2019, 10:23 AM

Cogate 2017, 2008
Hofstra 2007
Villanova 2002
UCONN 1993, 1991

You are way off base, the thread is merely fact based about OOC FCS road games, played anywhere in AMERICA xthumbsupx

FUGameBreaker
September 12th, 2019, 10:27 AM

We got more money to go to Missouri, Delaware was happy to receive the buyout money without risking another lose to ole FU

FUGameBreaker
September 12th, 2019, 10:36 AM
So I am really looking forward to this Saturday's game, seems just a simple pointing out of facts has got some of you guys hot and bothered, making up your own side arguments and such :D

I'll be flipping the channels back and forth Saturday between FU's game and NDSU @ Delaware, should be fun!

93henfan
September 12th, 2019, 10:39 AM
Hoping Delaware can cover the 28.5 point spread. 40-12 would get it done!

IBleedYellow
September 12th, 2019, 10:39 AM
I'd argue Frisco is just another home game for NDSU.

I would argue that you're probably right.

FUGameBreaker
September 12th, 2019, 10:43 AM

WOOAH I did not know that was the spread, FU @ VA. Tech is only a 21 point spread

I fully expect Delaware to properly test NDSU, pull out the win and NDSU is 2-2 in OOC FCS road games in the past 9 years

wapiti
September 12th, 2019, 10:58 AM
Unless you're UND then we pay you 80k and 120k or something hilariously under the going rate. [emoji38]

Travel cost figure into the payout. UND is a bus ride from NDSU with no lodging bills. But still, that is a significant difference from 230K to 120k. Does it cost 110K for a team to travel via air and lodging?

clenz
September 12th, 2019, 11:05 AM
Travel cost figure into the payout. UND is a bus ride from NDSU with no lodging bills. But still, that is a significant difference from 230K to 120k. Does it cost 110K for a team to travel via air and lodging?
Based on my math and what not having this discussion with UNI fans and how dumb I think this UNI/IDSU home and home is give travel costs and who can be bought - it's not cheap to bring teams in

It costs enough to pay for travel to bring prices up and getting to Fargo costs more than getting to somewhere like Normal, IL or even Cedar Falls because of airlines that fly in and out of each location.

For me to fly (regular I get) to Fargo from Cedar Rapids/Cedar Falls/Des Moines is close to $400 if not more after baggage and fees.

AmsterBison
September 12th, 2019, 11:08 AM

That spread is crazy. Delaware is a prideful program playing at home. Cripes, Delaware has only lost by more than 28 in 13 games in the last 40 seasons - and some of those losses were to FBS schools. Presumably, Delaware's big losses came when they had their worst seasons too, and this shouldn't be a below-average season for the Hens.

Let's also not forget that NDSU might have just graduated the best class in program history. NDSU has a lot of question marks still. I mean, beating the snot of UND didn't prove much about NDSU; it only proved some things about UND (e.g. they are not ready to match up physically to an MVFC schedule.)

UpstateBison
September 12th, 2019, 11:20 AM
Exactly xthumbsupx

- - - Updated - - -

It is not a home game.

FUGameBreaker
September 12th, 2019, 11:26 AM
It is not a home game.

Correct, its 'neutral' site

Professor Chaos
September 12th, 2019, 11:48 AM
WOOAH I did not know that was the spread, FU @ VA. Tech is only a 21 point spread

I fully expect Delaware to properly test NDSU, pull out the win and NDSU is 2-2 in OOC FCS road games in the past 9 years
Well, according to both Sagarin and Massey NDSU would be favored to beat Virginia Tech in Blacksburg by 4-7 points.

But I don't expect NDSU to cover this spread at Delaware. I've already predicted elsewhere that I expect it to be a 7-10 point NDSU win where Delaware is able to expose some chinks in the Bison armor.

MR. CHICKEN
September 12th, 2019, 11:54 AM
Well, according to both Sagarin and Massey NDSU would be favored to beat Virginia Tech in Blacksburg by 4-7 points.

But I don't expect NDSU to cover this spread at Delaware. I've already predicted elsewhere that I expect it to be a 7-10 point NDSU win where Delaware is able to expose some chinks in the Bison armor.

.....YOU-DEE DEFENSE........TOO YOUNG...TA KEEP UP......EXPECTIN' DUH "O"........TA SHOW BETTERAH.....THAN IN.....DUH DOME..........BRAWK!

FUGameBreaker
September 12th, 2019, 11:55 AM

Seems like a fair assessment

NDSUKurt
September 12th, 2019, 11:57 AM
Facts for Consideration about the small number of OOC road games for NDSU:

1. NDSU will always play 6 home games. This limits the opportunities for NDSU to play away.
2. NDSU has in the past gotten screwed by teams buying out of return games to Fargo, so now NDSU wants huge buyouts or the first game of a home and home to be played in Fargo - this is something that many FCS teams will not do.
3. Some coaches of FCS teams refuse to play NDSU. Nortehrn Arizona refused to play NDSU IN ARIZONA in 2013 after the Montana State buyout (NDSU supposedly offered to only have Northern Arizona pay the cost of the cost of the travel, nothing extra).
4. Many FCS teams have stadiums that can not handle the number of fans that NDSU would bring to their stadium.
5. Many FCS conferences play conference games during the opening weeks of the season. The Missouri Valley, (when having an even number of teams) has kept the conference schedule out of the first few weeks. (This will change starting next year with UND entering the league). This limits away game date opportunities.

FUGameBreaker
September 12th, 2019, 12:04 PM

1. NDSU will always play 6 home games. This limits the opportunities for NDSU to play away.
2. NDSU has in the past gotten screwed by teams buying out of return games to Fargo, so now NDSU wants huge buyouts or the first game of a home and home to be played in Fargo - this is something that many FCS teams will not do.
3. Some coaches of FCS teams refuse to play NDSU. Nortehrn Arizona refused to play NDSU IN ARIZONA in 2013 after the Montana State buyout (NDSU supposedly offered to only have Northern Arizona pay the cost of the cost of the travel, nothing extra).
4. Many FCS teams have stadiums that can not handle the number of fans that NDSU would bring to their stadium.
5. Many FCS conferences play conference games during the opening weeks of the season. The Missouri Valley, (when having an even number of teams) has kept the conference schedule out of the first few weeks. (This will change starting next year with UND entering the league). This limits away game date opportunities.

I agree these are factors in only having 4 OOC FCS road games in 9 years, thus my simple assessment that NDSU is an FBS team stuck playing in FCS

IBleedYellow
September 12th, 2019, 12:20 PM
Based on my math and what not having this discussion with UNI fans and how dumb I think this UNI/IDSU home and home is give travel costs and who can be bought - it's not cheap to bring teams in

It costs enough to pay for travel to bring prices up and getting to Fargo costs more than getting to somewhere like Normal, IL or even Cedar Falls because of airlines that fly in and out of each location.

For me to fly (regular I get) to Fargo from Cedar Rapids/Cedar Falls/Des Moines is close to $400 if not more after baggage and fees.

You're talking flights for public. They will be chartering a flight privately. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYPrH4xANpU

Silenoz
September 12th, 2019, 12:28 PM
I wish all of the name brand programs would coordinate and arrange a ton of home and homes. The day we announced that Montana + McNeese + App State deal was the greatest thing ever. As opposed to playing, like, Valpo, or whoever.

IBleedYellow
September 12th, 2019, 12:34 PM
I wish all of the name brand programs would coordinate and arrange a ton of home and homes. The day we announced that Montana + McNeese + App State deal was the greatest thing ever. As opposed to playing, like, Valpo, or whoever.

No reason to, sadly. Neither program really gains from it, even the one that's victorious.

FUGameBreaker
September 12th, 2019, 12:36 PM

Would be fun for FCS indeed!

FUGameBreaker
September 12th, 2019, 12:44 PM
No reason to, sadly. Neither program really gains from it, even the one that's victorious.

Says the guy whose program is currently ranked #1, has won 7 of the last 8 titles and sells out every home game no matter who the heck they play, of course you have nothing left to gain.
That's why when you start thinking like that its time to go FBS someway, somehow

Professor Chaos
September 12th, 2019, 01:07 PM
Says the guy whose program is currently ranked #1, has won 7 of the last 8 titles and sells out every home game no matter who the heck they play, of course you have nothing left to gain.
That's why when you start thinking like that its time to go FBS someway, somehow
The feasibility (or lack thereof) of going FBS has a lot less to do with the on-field caliber of your football team than you appear to realize.

uni88
September 12th, 2019, 01:09 PM
Interesting thread - b!tching and moaning about NDSU's OOC schedule with CLENZ and RB4&S defending them. And the b!tching and moaning is started by someone whose program is less adventurous than NDSU and we're supposed to accept their reasons for staying near home but NDSU's reasoning doesn't matter? NDSU's OOC scheduling makes perfectly good sense to anyone with a functioning brainstem. They have a great situation and they use it to their advantage. More power to them.

Silenoz
September 12th, 2019, 01:12 PM

I disagree. If that Target field game had been against... James Madison, it would have been an FCS event. Tell me you (and the rest of FCS) wouldn't have been 50 times more excited for it? And even if NDSU somehow lost, they still finish 10-2 or 11-1 and roll into the championship via home games, with the added benefit of a "home" loss to serve as a wake-up call/chip on the shoulder.

I mean I totally understand what you're saying. UM did the same thing in the 00s when we mattered. But I greatly prefer our current scheduling.

FUGameBreaker
September 12th, 2019, 01:14 PM
The feasibility (or lack thereof) of going FBS has a lot less to do with the on-field caliber of your football team than you appear to realize.

I realize the situation, thus my reference to NDSU being an FBS team stuck in FCS, it seems to have become deja vu with each passing season

FUGameBreaker
September 12th, 2019, 01:15 PM
Interesting thread - b!tching and moaning about NDSU's OOC schedule with CLENZ and RB4&S defending them. And the b!tching and moaning is started by someone whose program is less adventurous than NDSU and we're supposed to accept their reasons for staying near home but NDSU's reasoning doesn't matter? NDSU's OOC scheduling makes perfectly good sense to anyone with a functioning brainstem. They have a great situation and they use it to their advantage. More power to them.

Nobody is bitching and moaning except for a few NDSU fans that somehow found these FACTS to be offensive or something lol

FUGameBreaker
September 12th, 2019, 01:16 PM
I disagree. If that Target field game had been against... James Madison, it would have been an FCS event. Tell me you (and the rest of FCS) wouldn't have been 50 times more excited for it?

Spot on!

uni88
September 12th, 2019, 01:18 PM
Nobody is bitching and moaning exact for a few NDSU fans that somehow found these FACTS to be offensive or something lol

Sure they aren't.

FUGameBreaker
September 12th, 2019, 01:20 PM
Sure they aren't.

The couple of NDSU fans that got hot and bothered for some reason are where you should be directing your lecture xnodx

Guess it was something about the FACT laced title of this thread that got them worked up lol

uni88
September 12th, 2019, 01:27 PM
The couple of NDSU fans that got hot and bothered for some reason are where you should be directing your lecture xnodx

Guess it was something about the FACT laced title of this thread that got them worked up lol

Clenz and RB4&S aren't NDSU fans. Why is a fan of a school that is averse to traveling west of the Appalachians for OOC games pointing out "facts" about another school's travel patterns?

Schism55
September 12th, 2019, 01:30 PM
They hate us, cuz they anus xnodx

FUGameBreaker
September 12th, 2019, 01:30 PM
Clenz and RB4&S aren't NDSU fans. Why is a fan of a school that is averse to traveling west of the Appalachians for OOC games pointing out "facts" about another school's travel patterns?

If you want to dispute the number of OOC FCS road games NDSU has played in the last 9 years I don't think you have much of a case, the # is 4 total and that will be counting this Saturday's game at Delaware

FU has played plenty of OOC FCS road games over the past 9 years, and that's to go along with playing more than double the amount of FBS games as NDSU as well, so I am not really sure what point you think you are making with me

IBleedYellow
September 12th, 2019, 01:38 PM

I have said this and will continue to say this: If NDSU wants to get into the FBS, our basketball teams (mens and womens) need to be better than our football team and have the funding that is about 2-3x more than football. NDSU's football program would do just fine hopping into the FBS, but the rest of the sports would need to have an even bigger impact on the conference we would be joining.

That is not true today.

IBleedYellow
September 12th, 2019, 01:39 PM
Nobody is bitching and moaning except for a few NDSU fans that somehow found these FACTS to be offensive or something lol

I'm curious as to what NDSU fans you see bitching and moaning? **** I don't even think NDSU fans have even attempted to comment on your facts. That's been UNI and Illinois State fans.

FUGameBreaker
September 12th, 2019, 01:40 PM
I have said this and will continue to say this: If NDSU wants to get into the FBS, our basketball teams (mens and womens) need to be better than our football team and have the funding that is about 2-3x more than football. NDSU's football program would do just fine hopping into the FBS, but the rest of the sports would need to have an even bigger impact on the conference we would be joining.

That is not true today.

What FBS conference/conferences would you be open to joining?

IBleedYellow
September 12th, 2019, 01:40 PM
I think Citdog had it right all this time.

Furman Sucks.

FUGameBreaker
September 12th, 2019, 01:41 PM
I'm curious as to what NDSU fans you see bitching and moaning? **** I don't even think NDSU fans have even attempted to comment on your facts. That's been UNI and Illinois State fans.

My bad, the ones hot and bothered are actually kind of random folks

FUGameBreaker
September 12th, 2019, 01:42 PM
I think Citdog had it right all this time.

Furman Sucks.

Lol
Even if so, does not change the FACT of this thread, all I said from the start is "IT MUST BE NICE" :D

clenz
September 12th, 2019, 01:44 PM
I agree with him

What is there to gain for the larger programs?

They don't recruit in that area - athletes or students
A potential loss hurts come playoff time
Cost to travel - plus stress on body - is equal to playing a weaker team at home

As a football fan it's great. From a program perspective there is little for it (and I'm someone that wants the Ivy to branch out and play more good teams)

Let's use UNI for example.

I'd love to see UNI play - say Harvard. What does a H/H offer either school?

UNI doesn't recruit students from the northeast
UNI doesn't recruit athletes from the northeast
UNI doesn't really have alumni base worth nothing in the northeast
Harvard doesn't need to play in Cedar Falls for the best Iowa students to know of them
Harvard doesn't have any real alumni base in Iowa
Harvard isn't really recruiting many athletes from Iowa

The only reason NDSU is playing at UD is Carson Wentz. It he wasn't an Eagle that game isn't happening. The exposure NDSU has gotten out that area because of him is great. It give NDSU fans a chance to get to Philly. It gives Philly area fans a chance to see his program.

If Wentz was a 49er you'd see a H/H with Davis - not UD.

Maybe some of this has been covered - I started typing an hour ago and then go pulled into a meeting and decided to hit send anyway

IBleedYellow
September 12th, 2019, 01:44 PM
Lol
Even if so, does not change the FACT of this thread, all I said from the start is "IT MUST BE NICE" :D

xthumbsupx

FUGameBreaker
September 12th, 2019, 01:47 PM
Seriously though, what FBS conferences would NDSU be willing to join if offered?

IBleedYellow
September 12th, 2019, 01:49 PM
Seriously though, what FBS conferences would NDSU be willing to join if offered?

None that would offer NDSU a spot. Read between the lines on that one.

clenz
September 12th, 2019, 01:50 PM
I disagree. If that Target field game had been against... James Madison, it would have been an FCS event. Tell me you (and the rest of FCS) wouldn't have been 50 times more excited for it? And even if NDSU somehow lost, they still finish 10-2 or 11-1 and roll into the championship via home games, with the added benefit of a "home" loss to serve as a wake-up call/chip on the shoulder.

I mean I totally understand what you're saying. UM did the same thing in the 00s when we mattered. But I greatly prefer our current scheduling.
What does that game actually generate though?

This isn't the FBS where the kick off games are going to draw 6 million tv sets and millions more in ticket sales and tens of millions in advertising.

What does that game offer those programs?

NDSU got the same exposure they would have with Butler if it was JMU.
Tickets sold wouldn't have been statistically different.
NDSU's exposure in Minneapolis is already high - and those that don't already care won't care if it's JMU or Butler. The random rube might actually care more about Butler because they have the higher national profile as a university/athletic department because of basketball.

JMU doesn't recruit Minnesota - students or athletes.
JMU makes a **** ton more in a home game than playing on a baseball diamond in Minneapolis

The game was still going to be ESPN+ so eye balls still very limited.

Outside of the fan persepctive, what truly would that game bring to either institution or program?

Mind you JMU would have had to have given up their game against WVU - a regional "Rival" in the heart of the recruiting area with a chance to knock off a regional big brother to show they belong and should be respected by prospects in the area

IBleedYellow
September 12th, 2019, 01:52 PM
If anyone tries to tell you otherwise - That Target Field game was nothing more than throwing our alumni in the Twin Cities a party and show that we can bring a lot of fans together in one place. I've already heard conspiracies about it being a test for a larger stadium, etc.

:D

ST_Lawson
September 12th, 2019, 01:52 PM

Isn't that pretty much what the MVFC/Big Sky "series" is all about? Lots of H&H's between the two conferences...all the teams are public schools, and many are pretty high-profile within their states/regions. NDSU had H&H's with Montana and Eastern Washington, Illinois State with Northern Arizona, and I know WIU has had series against Northern Arizona, Montana, Montana State and will have series against Eastern Washington and Southern Utah.

Mattymc727
September 12th, 2019, 01:55 PM
I agree with him

What is there to gain for the larger programs?

They don't recruit in that area - athletes or students
A potential loss hurts come playoff time
Cost to travel - plus stress on body - is equal to playing a weaker team at home

As a football fan it's great. From a program perspective there is little for it (and I'm someone that wants the Ivy to branch out and play more good teams)

Let's use UNI for example.

I'd love to see UNI play - say Harvard. What does a H/H offer either school?

UNI doesn't recruit students from the northeast
UNI doesn't recruit athletes from the northeast
UNI doesn't really have alumni base worth nothing in the northeast
Harvard doesn't need to play in Cedar Falls for the best Iowa students to know of them
Harvard doesn't have any real alumni base in Iowa
Harvard isn't really recruiting many athletes from Iowa

The only reason NDSU is playing at UD is Carson Wentz. It he wasn't an Eagle that game isn't happening. The exposure NDSU has gotten out that area because of him is great. It give NDSU fans a chance to get to Philly. It gives Philly area fans a chance to see his program.

If Wentz was a 49er you'd see a H/H with Davis - not UD.

Maybe some of this has been covered - I started typing an hour ago and then go pulled into a meeting and decided to hit send anyway

One thing that could be argued, and maybe Harvard is a poor choice, would be program HYPE and exposure (Ticket sales)? If UNH plays Montana in an OOC, it may put more butts in the seats than say Central Connecticut does for UNH.

Still, that ROI may not even be worth the cost of travel and so on...Just speculating.

No doubt UD is getting more people in town this weekend than vs Delaware State

FUGameBreaker
September 12th, 2019, 02:00 PM
None that would offer NDSU a spot. Read between the lines on that one.

So really, your telling me NDSU would only be interested in joining a Power 5 league??

Well I guess you really are trapped in FCS then if so

Bisonator
September 12th, 2019, 02:08 PM
So really, your telling me NDSU would only be interested in joining a Power 5 league??

You get us into the B12 and we'll do a H/H with FU!:D

ST_Lawson
September 12th, 2019, 02:10 PM

The only FBS conferences in the region are the Big 10, Big 12 (neither of which would invite a school straight out of the FCS, regardless of the quality of the football team), or the MAC (who likes to stay pretty condensed...NDSU is too far west for them).

Other obscenely remote possibilities:
Mountain West - I think they'd want an all-sports school, and NDSU's basketball isn't anywhere close to what it'd need to be for that.
FBS Indy w/ Summit Basketball - somehow convince the NCAA to give them a waiver like Liberty did (but without having Liberty's $$$) and play a handful of random teams scattered across the country. Not to mention the fact that if you aren't Notre Dame or BYU, sustaining independent athletics is incredibly difficult.

Also added into the mix is the likelihood that NDSU won't be allowed to go anywhere without the other Dakota schools.

The only legitimate way I see FBS happening for NDSU is for the NCAA to authorize the creation of a new FBS football conference and you have NDSU, SDSU, UND, and USD all move up, along with Montana, Montana State, and maybe one or two other schools that can handle it (Idaho might decide to give FBS another go, maybe New Mexico State works their way into the picture, etc.). Barring that...it ain't happening.

Redbird 4th & short
Ok so on a semi-related, but I say this and it has zero to do with point of this thread ... NDSU should move the 2020 NC A&T game to Target field ... the draw would be so much better there. NC A&T fans would have much easier time getting to twin cities than to Fargo. I'm sure one of the ESPNs might even be willing to cover it.

I mean if it made any sense for this years Butler game, it makes twice as much sense for NC A&T game.

ASU33
When you're the top dog you call the shots! xnodx

clenz
September 12th, 2019, 02:13 PM
One thing that could be argued, and maybe Harvard is a poor choice, would be program HYPE and exposure (Ticket sales)? If UNH plays Montana in an OOC, it may put more butts in the seats than say Central Connecticut does for UNH.

Still, that ROI may not even be worth the cost of travel and so on...Just speculating.

UNI and Montana have history - and UNI fans had been begging for Montana to come to CF for decades

Montana did. The game had 12,400 people at it.

UNI/EWU have history and are two of the bigger names in the FCS. The game had 12,300. 2 Weeks later Illinois State came to CF (a team we see every single year and every other year in CF) the game had 2k more people. Indiana State was over 13.5k

UNI returned the game to EWU the next year - same situation where EWU had been wanting UNI in Cheney like UNI wanting Montana - game had 9k. Northern Colorado a week later had near 11k.

It sounds REALLY good in theory to say "big names play and crowds will come"

In practice, it simply doesn't happen like that.

clenz
September 12th, 2019, 02:14 PM
The only FBS conferences in the region are the Big 10, Big 12 (neither of which would invite a school straight out of the FCS, regardless of the quality of the football team), or the MAC (who likes to stay pretty condensed...NDSU is too far west for them).

Other obscenely remote possibilities:
Mountain West - I think they'd want an all-sports school, and NDSU's basketball isn't anywhere close to what it'd need to be for that.
FBS Indy w/ Summit Basketball - somehow convince the NCAA to give them a waiver like Liberty did (but without having Liberty's $$$) and play a handful of random teams scattered across the country. Not to mention the fact that if you aren't Notre Dame or BYU, sustaining independent athletics is incredibly difficult.

Also added into the mix is the likelihood that NDSU won't be allowed to go anywhere without the other Dakota schools.

The only legitimate way I see FBS happening for NDSU is for the NCAA to authorize the creation of a new FBS football conference and you have NDSU, SDSU, UND, and USD all move up, along with Montana, Montana State, and maybe one or two other schools that can handle it (Idaho might decide to give FBS another go, maybe New Mexico State works their way into the picture, etc.). Barring that...it ain't happening.
To IBY's point and one I've made for years

NDSU's MBB budget is 1.4m

MWC's average basketball budget is like 4.5m

Silenoz
September 12th, 2019, 02:16 PM
Crowds, shmowds. This is all about selfish desires. I remember games against UNI. I don't remember games against Drake.

Redbird 4th & short
September 12th, 2019, 02:18 PM
Isn't that pretty much what the MVFC/Big Sky "series" is all about? Lots of H&H's between the two conferences...all the teams are public schools, and many are pretty high-profile within their states/regions. NDSU had H&H's with Montana and Eastern Washington, Illinois State with Northern Arizona, and I know WIU has had series against Northern Arizona, Montana, Montana State and will have series against Eastern Washington and Southern Utah.

We were able to do the NAU h&h because Big 10 banned FCS games for a short time, so we took the road game to NAU in 2017 (in place of FBS) with return game this year .. a year with 12 games for most teams. Otherwise, once we schedule our FBS, EIU h&h, and our FCS patsy, we have zero fliexibility.

But our h&h with 100+ year rival EIU is starting to get old for me ... been blowouts the last 2 years and this year should be similar. I don't mind continuing it but spreading it out to maybe 2 games in 3 years, or every other year .. so we could do more Big Sky challenge games. Then in seasons we have the extra weekend, we could pick up a different conference game if we wanted. Unlike WIU and UNI, I'm not willing to give up our patsy game ... as long as MVFC is top conference, we want our pasty game. It is chance to get easy tune-up and play deep into our bench.

MSUBobcat
September 12th, 2019, 02:29 PM
It seems to me that you are more disappointed that your own program doesn't have enough weight/fan support/$$$ to not have to travel for OOC. I think we'd all agree that MSU's success since 2010 isn't in the same league as the Bison, yes? Since 2010, the Bobcats have played FIVE road OOC games against FCS teams. FIVE. Only one was not part of a H&H, and two of them were this year and last as part of the recent "MVFC vs. Big Sky challenge". There was a H&H against Drake (likely due to Rob Ash's long history there), a H&H against Stephen F. Austin in '12 and '13, a weird non-conference game against EWU in '15, a H&H against SDSU in '17 and '18, and this year's trip to WIU as the back half of our H&H with them. We have hosted 7 DII schools and 9 FCS schools with no return trip - Davis (prior to joining the BSC), Monmouth, Central Arkansas, ETSU, Bryant, Kennesaw, Wagner, SEMO and Norfolk State. Pretty much the only way to get us to leave MT for an OOC is to be an FBS school flashing big cash. We averaged 16,471/game last year. Furman only managed 6,139. Instead of starting THIS thread, you should go on Furman's forum (if there is one) and start one pointing out how lack of fan support ($$$) is forcing Furple to have to go on the road too much. This isn't a Bison-only phenomenon.

JMUNJ08
September 12th, 2019, 02:37 PM
TBH, this is not much different than an Alabama who seems to play 12 games a year at home and then plays a 'neutral' game within driving distance of campus... Its annoying and boring for us 'real' fans but it gives them the W's and the $$$ where they then still win the NC almost every year.

In terms of distance, this makes sense where they are at. Take JMU. I went back through our history (thank god only 1972...) and we played only 7!!!!!! FCS games (3 regular season with only 1 west of Mississippi just barely) where the drive time is over 9 hours from campus that were not conference/ $$$ games:

UCF - '92 (FCS at the time)
McNeese - '96
USF - '00 (FCS at the time)
NDSU - '11 & '16 (both playoffs)
NC Game - '16, '17 (playoffs obv)

Our alumni base is primarily NC to Mass where many of our OOC games come from, even FBS. Thus, given the amount of teams within effective driving distance for alumni, why would we go to the Central Plains/ West? Looking at those games, we have only played in the Eastern & Central time zones!

clenz
September 12th, 2019, 02:41 PM
TBH, this is not much different than an Alabama who seems to play 12 games a year at home and then plays a 'neutral' game within driving distance of campus... Its annoying and boring for us 'real' fans but it gives them the W's and the $$$ where they then still win the NC almost every year.

In terms of distance, this makes sense where they are at. Take JMU. I went back through our history (thank god only 1972...) and we played only 7!!!!!! FCS games (3 regular season with only 1 west of Mississippi just barely) where the drive time is over 9 hours from campus that were not conference/ $$$ games:

UCF - '92 (FCS at the time)
McNeese - '96
USF - '00 (FCS at the time)
NDSU - '11 & '16 (both playoffs)
NC Game - '16, '17 (playoffs obv)

Our alumni base is primarily NC to Mass where many of our OOC games come from, even FBS. Thus, given the amount of teams within effective driving distance for alumni, why would we go to the Central Plains/ West? Looking at those games, we have only played in the Eastern & Central time zones!
Exactly

I'd love for UNI to get a mostly permanent set up with Drake. Cedar Falls and UNI are 2 hours apart. UNI's largest alumni based is Des Moines. That would be a home game for UNI even on the road

I'd love to UNI to drop the games in Washington, California, Utah, Idaho, etc. for games against schools like SEMO, EIU, Valpo, Dayton, Duquesne, Murray State, etc.

NDSU_grad
September 12th, 2019, 02:42 PM

Not necessarily. The MAC and MWC will never offer either.

JMUNJ08
September 12th, 2019, 02:47 PM
Exactly

I'd love for UNI to get a mostly permanent set up with Drake. Cedar Falls and UNI are 2 hours apart. UNI's largest alumni based is Des Moines. That would be a home game for UNI even on the road

I'd love to UNI to drop the games in Washington, California, Utah, Idaho, etc. for games against schools like SEMO, EIU, Valpo, Dayton, Duquesne, Murray State, etc.

We played (ok, only a quarter) at Norfolk St. last year!!!! Why? Recruiting & Alumni in the Tide Water area. There really should be no business for JMU to make that trip otherwise.

Some of our ECB comes out when we complain about a long car ride for games compared to some in the west that have never heard of a bus trip before...

Professor Chaos
September 12th, 2019, 02:48 PM
Exactly

You must drive really slowly. :D

uni88
September 12th, 2019, 02:50 PM

Wrong question. The question is "what FBS conference would offer NDSU?"

The closest conference is the MAC. The farthest western school in the MAC is Northern Illinois and the farthest eastern is Buffalo. It is about 600 miles from DeKalb, IL to Buffalo, NY. It is also about 600 miles from DeKalb to Fargo so the MAC would be doubling their geographic footprint to add NDSU. And as IBY mentioned, NDSU probably needs a better men's basketball program to interest the MAC.

The closest Mountain West school is Wyoming and the closest AAC school is Tulsa, both at about 800 miles away and both conferences are stronger and more interested in basketball than the MAC.

ST_Lawson
September 12th, 2019, 02:50 PM
Exactly

Personally, I agree. If we could get Valpo, Butler, or Drake at home every year and H&H's with the more northern OVC schools, I would love it. We have done some of that...H&H with EIU a few years ago, with Tennessee Tech finishing up this year, but the last time we played a team that was an "easy" game was in 2014 when we hosted Valpo and Drake (in a 12-game season). It just feels like we're almost always playing tough teams and don't really ever get a break.

Professor Chaos
September 12th, 2019, 02:55 PM
Wrong question. The question is "what FBS conference would offer NDSU?"

The closest conference is the MAC. The farthest western school in the MAC is Northern Illinois and the farthest eastern is Buffalo. It is about 600 miles from DeKalb, IL to Buffalo, NY. It is also about 600 miles from DeKalb to Fargo so the MAC would be doubling their geographic footprint to add NDSU. And as IBY mentioned, NDSU probably needs a better men's basketball program to interest the MAC.

The closest Mountain West school is Wyoming and the closest AAC school is Tulsa, both at about 800 miles away and both conferences are stronger and more interested in basketball than the MAC.
Beyond that what does NDSU offer an FBS conference that makes them attractive enough for a conference to slice their pie of CFP, NCAA Tournament, and TV deal money one piece smaller for everyone? TV market/eyeballs? Nope. Alumni in the area? Nope. Games in/near one of your primary recruiting areas? Nope.

The fact that they offer a highly competitive football team might be just as much of a minus as it is a plus for some G5 schools.

This discussion/argument happens ad nauseum on Bisonville and the only response the pro-FBS crowd can come up with is "just keep knocking on their doors until they let us in!" Good luck with that approach.

uni88
September 12th, 2019, 02:56 PM

It's a long walk from the bars in downtown Cedar Falls to the Dome. :)

TheKingpin28
September 12th, 2019, 03:02 PM
If anyone tries to tell you otherwise - That Target Field game was nothing more than throwing our alumni in the Twin Cities a party and show that we can bring a lot of fans together in one place. I've already heard conspiracies about it being a test for a larger stadium, etc.

It's not? xlolx

clenz
September 12th, 2019, 03:06 PM
Okay...an hour 59 minutes per google maps

You win.

By the time someone left the UNIDome and got parked around Drake Stadium and got in the stadium it's over 2 hours so....xcoffeex

I also don't live in Cedar Falls. It's 2:11 for me according to google maps to Drake Stadium

uni88
September 12th, 2019, 03:14 PM

You win.

By the time someone left the UNIDome and got parked around Drake Stadium and got in the stadium it's over 2 hours so....xcoffeex

I also don't live in Cedar Falls. It's 2:11 for me according to google maps to Drake Stadium

You typed that "Cedar Falls and UNI are 2 hours apart." Change Cedar Falls to Drake or UNI to Des Moines and you're good.

Mattymc727
September 12th, 2019, 03:15 PM
Its like running a small business. You wouldn't try selling in an environment that costs you more than the profit you would make Why would an athletic program?

However, their are examples of companies taking on business at a loss for strategic reasons. Which is also like NDSU going east once every 30 years.

Bisonator
September 12th, 2019, 03:20 PM

You win.

I think you missed it. You typed Cedar Falls to UNI. If it takes you 2 hours you must be taking the very scenic route!:D

FUGameBreaker
September 12th, 2019, 03:24 PM
So the consensus truly is NDSU is trapped in FCS, got it

clenz
September 12th, 2019, 03:25 PM
You typed that "Cedar Falls and UNI are 2 hours apart." Change Cedar Falls to Drake or UNI to Des Moines and you're good.
Well....****

ST_Lawson
September 12th, 2019, 03:32 PM
Well....****

Time for more coffee?....or maybe a stiff drink?

uni88
September 12th, 2019, 03:39 PM
So the consensus truly is that FCS is stuck with NDSU, got it

FYP

NDSU isn't trapped. They're kicking azz and taking names. Circumstances are what they are. We can whine about how it isn't fair or we can work at stepping up and beating them like EWU and JMU.

FUGameBreaker
September 12th, 2019, 03:50 PM
FYP

NDSU isn't trapped. They're kicking azz and taking names. Circumstances are what they are. We can whine about how it isn't fair or we can work at stepping up and beating them like EWU and JMU.

Apparently there is no FBS conference for them to join, ie. they are trapped

uni88
September 12th, 2019, 03:55 PM

Trapped like a horny teenage in a whorehouse. Trapped means they're somewhere they don't want to be and things aren't going well. NDSU is doing fine.

Silenoz
September 12th, 2019, 04:02 PM
FYP

EWU? Are 14 point losses stepping up? That seems like some sort of indictment of the FCS field lol

clenz
September 12th, 2019, 04:05 PM
Time for more coffee?....or maybe a stiff drink?
Had many hours of meetings today....and in the commercial casualty insurance underwriting world those are super exciting.

Also tried a nitro cold brew for the first time this AM.

It's definitely very different. I blame that.

uni88
September 12th, 2019, 04:08 PM
EWU? Are 14 point losses stepping up? That seems like some sort of indictment of the FCS field lol

2010 ...

ST_Lawson
September 12th, 2019, 04:13 PM
Trapped like a horny teenage in a whorehouse. Trapped means they're somewhere they don't want to be and things aren't going well. NDSU is doing fine.

https://i.giphy.com/media/PogMX6Fd4xPKU/giphy.gif

IBleedYellow
September 12th, 2019, 04:16 PM

We're (NDSU) not trapped in here with you (FCS), you're (FCS) trapped in here with us (NDSU)!!!

gofurman
September 12th, 2019, 04:28 PM

Or Colgate.. scared of a little wind. Good grief, I just went and helped (I went INTO THE HURRICANE) for Dorian. Only people from New York would be scared of a hurricane. It's just fun wind - southerners ain't scared. Colgate will figure a way out of any game. At least Furman PAYS $$$. Colgate just ghosts on ya'

that said, this whole thread seems pretty dumb. you get who you get in conference... playoffs are regional.. nothing to be done unless we get more money to change the playoff regionalization.

** the only big scheduling issue to me is that some play TWO FBS games in years like this (yes, Furman and several others... while Wofford and some will always take an extra bye week and play Clemson and Gardner Webb and SC State INTENDING to get an extra win though that didn't work out this time.. it usually does) and that makes it tough to make the playoffs for the teams that play two FBS games. WOfford people I know have fully admitted they take the easier route to ensure a playoff bid - and I am admittedly jealous. That gives you TWO routes to postseason - autobid of conference or at-large. TWO FBS games makes it rough in these 12 game years but I think Furman would be in at 8-4 even if that doesn't win the conference w 2 FBS losses and 8-2 otherwise. I always worry after seeing posts like the LIU guy and how there were 'no real upsets' in week 1 (un, JSU, Wofford, etc???) - and wonder about some of these voters if they see "hey, FUrman is 1-2 !" sure, after killing an easy FCS and losing 2 FBS (Georgia State and ACC V Tech). AGS people here are too smart to just look at record but I always worry about those SIDs etc.

anyway, i AGREE with most of you that this thread is not worth a lot.

FUGameBreaker
September 12th, 2019, 04:31 PM

xrotatehx

FUGameBreaker
September 12th, 2019, 07:31 PM
Or Colgate.. scared of a little wind. Good grief, I just went and helped (I went INTO THE HURRICANE) for Dorian. Only people from New York would be scared of a hurricane. It's just fun wind - southerners ain't scared. Colgate will figure a way out of any game. At least Furman PAYS $$$. Colgate just ghosts on ya'

that said, this whole thread seems pretty dumb. you get who you get in conference... playoffs are regional.. nothing to be done unless we get more money to change the playoff regionalization.

** the only big scheduling issue to me is that some play TWO FBS games in years like this (yes, Furman and several others... while Wofford and some will always take an extra bye week and play Clemson and Gardner Webb and SC State INTENDING to get an extra win though that didn't work out this time.. it usually does) and that makes it tough to make the playoffs for the teams that play two FBS games. WOfford people I know have fully admitted they take the easier route to ensure a playoff bid - and I am admittedly jealous. That gives you TWO routes to postseason - autobid of conference or at-large. TWO FBS games makes it rough in these 12 game years but I think Furman would be in at 8-4 even if that doesn't win the conference w 2 FBS losses and 8-2 otherwise. I always worry after seeing posts like the LIU guy and how there were 'no real upsets' in week 1 (un, JSU, Wofford, etc???) - and wonder about some of these voters if they see "hey, FUrman is 1-2 !" sure, after killing an easy FCS and losing 2 FBS (Georgia State and ACC V Tech). AGS people here are too smart to just look at record but I always worry about those SIDs etc.

anyway, i AGREE with most of you that this thread is not worth a lot.

I'd say 133 replies in 20 hours says it got the attention of some apparently lol, again all I did was point out fact

Cocky
September 12th, 2019, 08:25 PM
Jacksonville State - I'd want a 2 for 1 (or maybe a home, away, neutral.)

You want two games in Jville for one in ND? Must be wanting November games.

cx500d
September 12th, 2019, 08:27 PM

Easy wins are always nice in November

bonarae
September 12th, 2019, 09:17 PM

I do believe that the same facts are also the same problems facing Ivy teams and their OOC schedules. As early as the second week of Ivy play (usually weeks 4 or 5 of the FCS season), we have conference games on the schedule and that probably sums up why scholarship FCS teams do not schedule us. xsmhx

I wish for the Ivies to do this... xsighx

Not sure why this is also probably true for the Ivies too.

The Ivy teams seem to have run out of regional FCS opponents... so they tend to fill their schedules with PFL or even D-II teams. The Presidents, SIDs and HCs of the Ivies seem to have not fully accepted / admitted this as a problem. Georgetown may have the same problems as us too.

Its like running a small business. You wouldn't try selling in an environment that costs you more than the profit you would make Why would an athletic program?

However, their are examples of companies taking on business at a loss for strategic reasons. Which is also like NDSU going east once every 30 years.

Isn't it ironic why Georgetown has a higher basketball budget than football budget? Their football team is in the wrong place all the recent time... xsmhx (sorry DFW HOYA but I'm trying to interpret the scholarship teams' fans' sentiments for us.)

jsualumnus
September 13th, 2019, 04:20 AM
Coming directly from Greg Seitz, our AD and friend of mine, NDSU will not play a home and home with JSU. One reason is JSU would want to potentially bring the band up there, and giving up 500+ seats for a band doesn’t work for NDSU. The main reason was with the schedules already somewhat organized, it was pretty hard to get weeks lined up that made sense. He “might” have said NDSU wasn’t in favor of making the trip with the cost to an OOC FCS stadium....

One might say that is chicken s**t thinking, but I don’t. When a team has done what they’ve done, well, they’ve earned the right to pretty much call the shots on their schedule. If anything, we might get a 1-2 series with allowance to bring a pep band of 100...

FUGameBreaker
September 13th, 2019, 05:31 AM
NDSU has 0 OOC FCS road games next year as well fyi, so 4 in 10 years, its up to Delaware to make the most of it on Saturday

TheKingpin28
September 13th, 2019, 05:47 AM
NDSU has 0 OOC FCS road games next year as well fyi, so 4 in 10 years, its up to Delaware to make the most of it on SaturdayYet you want to leave the fact that they play AT Oregon and VS NCAT

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

cx500d
September 13th, 2019, 07:42 AM
Yet you want to leave the fact that they play AT Oregon and VS NCAT

He’s a troll. After ducking Colgate last year to avoid a loss they still couldn’t make the playoffs.

dewey
September 13th, 2019, 07:46 AM
NDSU has 0 OOC FCS road games next year as well fyi, so 4 in 10 years, its up to Delaware to make the most of it on Saturday

If you are going to bring up facts why not go back farther than 2011? Heck, why not go back to when the program started?

Are you going to create a thread about when Furman won their last National Championship?

A lot of people have provided the reasons why NDSU doesn't play many OOC FCS games.

Dewey

Bison56
September 13th, 2019, 08:43 AM
Thread was started by the same person who started this.

https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?177667-LOL-NDSU-is-a-total-joke&highlight=NDSU

RootinFerDukes
September 13th, 2019, 08:45 AM
JMU will have its fifth FCS OOC road game in the same period of time this season (going back to the 2011 season).

2011 - at Liberty
2014 - at Lehigh and at Charlotte
2018 - at Norfolk State
2019 - at Chattanooga

clenz
September 13th, 2019, 08:58 AM
JMU will have its fifth FCS OOC road game in the same period of time this season (going back to the 2011 seaseon).

2011 - at Liberty
2018 - at Norfolk State
2019 - at Chattanooga
But NDSU is the big bad SEC program that does things no one else does so JMU doesn't matter

IBleedYellow
September 13th, 2019, 08:59 AM
JMU will have its fifth FCS OOC road game in the same period of time this season (going back to the 2011 seaseon).

2011 - at Liberty
2018 - at Norfolk State
2019 - at Chattanooga

What a trash program. How could you have away so few OOC games?!? WOW.

Professor Chaos
September 13th, 2019, 09:47 AM
Thread was started by the same person who started this.

https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?177667-LOL-NDSU-is-a-total-joke&highlight=NDSU
Ah, that was comedy gold.

In case anyone is interested... this was the "all-time worst call in the history of college football" that he was referring to when #7 was flagged for PI.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oEduG8FTP9Hj5ggcE/giphy.gif

clenz
September 13th, 2019, 10:00 AM

In case anyone is interested... this was the "all-time worst call in the history of college football" that he was referring to when #7 was flagged for PI.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oEduG8FTP9Hj5ggcE/giphy.gifI mean

If what the Rams did in the NFL title game wasn't PI then that isn't PI either.

FUGameBreaker
September 13th, 2019, 10:27 AM
Yet you want to leave the fact that they play AT Oregon and VS NCAT

That has absolutely 0 to do with this subject, ZERO

Just accept these facts for what they are and stop getting all worked up about them :D

FUGameBreaker
September 13th, 2019, 10:30 AM

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oEduG8FTP9Hj5ggcE/giphy.gif

I stand by my CGI claim, yall doctored that one up pretty good xthumbsupx

In my defense I took Bo Pelini's side on that day, which was my mistake ultimately lol

FUGameBreaker
September 13th, 2019, 10:34 AM

2011 - at Liberty
2018 - at Norfolk State
2019 - at Chattanooga

Technically the # is actually 9 for JMU

FUGameBreaker
September 13th, 2019, 10:36 AM
Look I am only stating things for what they are here, 4 OOC FCS road games for NDSU from 2011 to 2020 (unless the unforeseen happens and you guys wind up outside the fargo dome come playoff time, which I honestly don't see happening)

You are an FBS team playing in FCS, if you want to stop dealing with me then go ahead and move on up, otherwise let's keep having some fun together xlolx

Bison56
September 13th, 2019, 10:42 AM
Look I am only stating things for what they are here, 4 OOC FCS road games for NDSU from 2011 to 2020 (unless the unforeseen happens and you guys wind up outside the fargo dome come playoff time, which I honestly don't see happening)

You are an FBS team playing in FCS, if you want to stop dealing with me then go ahead and move on up, otherwise let's keep having some fun together xlolx

It would be easier if Furman moved down, at least they would be competitive.

RootinFerDukes
September 13th, 2019, 11:02 AM
Technically the # is actually 9 for JMU

Huh?

uni88
September 13th, 2019, 11:02 AM

FUSourGrapes,

So what? The Bison are able to make more money playing FCS OOC games at home so they do. Why are you so butt hurt about it? And don't say you're not, you're just pointing out facts. You point out a fact once and move on.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

RootinFerDukes
September 13th, 2019, 11:03 AM
What a trash program. How could you have away so few OOC games?!? WOW.

Trash program?! We've left our bubble 1 more time than you all have. xdrunkyx

JSUSoutherner
September 13th, 2019, 11:09 AM
JSU has only had 3 OOC FCS road games (not including neutral sites) since 2011 not named Chattanooga.

Chattanooga is basically a home game for us.

Bisonator
September 13th, 2019, 11:12 AM
Furman sucks!

FUGameBreaker
September 13th, 2019, 11:17 AM
FUSourGrapes,

So what? The Bison are able to make more money playing FCS OOC games at home so they do. Why are you so butt hurt about it? And don't say you're not, you're just pointing out facts. You point out a fact once and move on.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

The ones up in arms and booty hurt are you guys apparently, I am chillin and the fact remains, that's all

FUGameBreaker
September 13th, 2019, 11:18 AM
Trash program?! We've left our bubble 1 more time than you all have. xdrunkyx

Technically it will be 5 more times, 9-4 = 5

FUGameBreaker
September 13th, 2019, 11:21 AM
JSU has only had 3 OOC FCS road games (not including neutral sites) since 2011 not named Chattanooga.

Chattanooga is basically a home game for us.

The # for JSU is 11 for 2011-2020

FUGameBreaker
September 13th, 2019, 11:25 AM
Somehow you guys managed to turn the fact that NDSU only has 4 OOC FCS road games spanning 2011-2020 into some sort of debate, the debate part was not my doing xdrunkyx

As I stated from the start, "It Must Be Nice" and I am looking forward to seeing NDSU play at Delaware tomorrow

JSUSoutherner
September 13th, 2019, 11:32 AM

@Chatt

@Bama State

@Chatt

@Chatt

@Liberty

@SELA

I count 3 FCS true away games not named Chatt.

Professor Chaos
September 13th, 2019, 11:33 AM
Technically it will be 5 more times, 9-4 = 5

Your facts are off there chief even if you want to include playoff games.

RootinFerDukes
September 13th, 2019, 11:37 AM

Thanks for clarifying where he wasn't able to do so... yeah the figure was regular season.

Professor Chaos
September 13th, 2019, 11:39 AM
Thanks for clarifying where he wasn't able to do so... yeah the figure was regular season.
Even if you include road playoff games JMU and JSU haven't been on the road to OOC FCS teams 9 and 11 times, respectively, since 2011.

For JMU it's 8 (including 3 road playoff games and their game @Chatty next week) and for JSU it's 9 (including 3 road playoff games).

EDIT: I stand corrected... for JMU he's right. For JSU I still don't know where he's getting those extra two.

MSUBobcat
September 13th, 2019, 11:43 AM
JMU will have its fifth FCS OOC road game in the same period of time this season (going back to the 2011 season).

2011 - at Liberty
2018 - at Norfolk State
2019 - at Chattanooga

As I stated way back on post #107, MSU has left Bozeman FIVE times from 2010 to this year. Two of those are due to the H&H "MVFC-BSC Challenge" in recent years. One was a H&H with Drake, likely because of Ash's history at Drake. One was an H&H with SFA in '12 and '13. The last was a non-conference game against conference foe EWU. And, as much as I hate to admit it, we haven't had near the success of NDSU or even JMU during that span. I would postulate that programs that put butts in seats don't want to travel. If you can make MORE money, have home field advantage and put less strain on the STUDENT athletes' schedule, that's what you do.

Most interesting to me is FUballboy seems to have no issue with the fact that Delaware (the team NDSU is traveling to), has only traveled for an FCS OOC game TWO DAMN TIMES in the last ELEVEN seasons. 2016 at Lafayette and last year at NDSU as part of this very H&H. From 2009-2015, zero road OOC. ZERO. But yeah, let's start another thread showing how green with envy you are of the bad Bison.

FUGameBreaker
September 13th, 2019, 11:45 AM

Of course Ive been including playoff games from the start, and my #'s are correct

IBleedYellow
September 13th, 2019, 11:46 AM
I find it eye opening that there are probably more people who are not NDSU fans by any stretch of the imagination defending NDSU.

Speaks waves about the poster who started all of this.

RootinFerDukes
September 13th, 2019, 11:49 AM
I also want to point out we're 4-0 in those road OOC FCS games... albeit they're not the toughest opponents. Liberty was semi-tough. Charlotte was a battle but only because our defense sucked. I guess Lehigh too. God those defenses were terrible. Good riddance everett withers.

FUGameBreaker
September 13th, 2019, 11:49 AM
JMU in reverse order (yes you are right 8)

@ UTC
@ Norfolk St.
@ Colgate
@ NDSU
@ Lehigh
@ Liberty
@ EKU
@ NDSU

JSUSoutherner
September 13th, 2019, 11:50 AM
Of course Ive been including playoff games from the start, and my #'s are correct
Show me 11 FCS road games for JSU 2011 to 2020. You can even use playoffs since I guess those mean something

IBleedYellow
September 13th, 2019, 11:51 AM
So what's the point of this thread? Pointing out that certain programs don't go away OOC FCS very often? Does that even matter?

FUGameBreaker
September 13th, 2019, 11:53 AM
JSU in reverse order 11 games 2011-2020

@ North Alabama
@ SEL
@ Maine
@ Liberty
@ UTC
@ UTC
@ Alabama St.
@ GA. ST.
@ Mcneese St.
@ EWU
@ UTC

MSUBobcat
September 13th, 2019, 11:54 AM
I find it eye opening that there are probably more people who are not NDSU fans by any stretch of the imagination defending NDSU.

RIGHT?!?! The team everyone loves to hate being "defended" by all. And 4 out of 9 (44.4%) actually makes pretty good sense for most teams. An FBS payday, a cupcake home game that gets no return and an H&H agreement would yield..... 50%. You don't even need to be a powerhouse team to only travel for a FCS OOC every other year.

FUjockstrap is one helluva troll though. We gotta give credit where credit is due.

FUGameBreaker
September 13th, 2019, 11:55 AM

What is there to defend though, it just simply is what it is, that's why this whole thing is kinda funny, you guys took it the wrong way from the start, its just an interesting # and one that "would be nice"

JSUSoutherner
September 13th, 2019, 11:55 AM

@ North Alabama
@ SEL
@ Maine
@ Liberty
@ UTC
@ UTC
@ Alabama St.
@ GA. ST.
@ Mcneese St.
@ EWU
@ UTC

Georgia State was in the Sunbelt in 2013, genius.

FUGameBreaker
September 13th, 2019, 11:56 AM
Its also funny how some of you guys are so upset you keep trying to change my name around xlolx

Professor Chaos
September 13th, 2019, 11:58 AM
JMU in reverse order (yes you are right 8)

@ UTC
@ Norfolk St.
@ Colgate
@ NDSU
@ Lehigh
@ Liberty
@ EKU
@ NDSU
You missed Charlotte in '14. Technically they were still FCS that year I believe although they were transitioning because they were ineligible for the playoffs.

@ North Alabama
@ SEL
@ Maine
@ Liberty
@ UTC
@ UTC
@ Alabama St.
@ GA. ST.
@ Mcneese St.
@ EWU
@ UTC
Georgia St was in the Sun Belt in 2013.... and nice of you to move the goalposts to include 2020 also.

FUGameBreaker
September 13th, 2019, 11:58 AM
As I stated way back on post #107, MSU has left Bozeman FIVE times from 2010 to this year. Two of those are due to the H&H "MVFC-BSC Challenge" in recent years. One was a H&H with Drake, likely because of Ash's history at Drake. One was an H&H with SFA in '12 and '13. The last was a non-conference game against conference foe EWU. And, as much as I hate to admit it, we haven't had near the success of NDSU or even JMU during that span. I would postulate that programs that put butts in seats don't want to travel. If you can make MORE money, have home field advantage and put less strain on the STUDENT athletes' schedule, that's what you do.

Most interesting to me is FUballboy seems to have no issue with the fact that Delaware (the team NDSU is traveling to), has only traveled for an FCS OOC game TWO DAMN TIMES in the last ELEVEN seasons. 2016 at Lafayette and last year at NDSU as part of this very H&H. From 2009-2015, zero road OOC. ZERO. But yeah, let's start another thread showing how green with envy you are of the bad Bison.

Your # is 7

FUGameBreaker
September 13th, 2019, 12:00 PM
So what's the point of this thread? Pointing out that certain programs don't go away OOC FCS very often? Does that even matter?

The point from the start is that:

1) It must be nice to have that many home games

and

2) This Saturday will be cool to see NDSU on the road in FCS play because its not something that happens very much at all, like AT ALL

FUGameBreaker
September 13th, 2019, 12:02 PM
Georgia State was in the Sunbelt in 2013, genius.

Lol, correct that was their first year in the Belt, so the # is 10

JSUSoutherner
September 13th, 2019, 12:03 PM
Lol, correct that was their first year in the Belt, so the # is 10

I like how you're including games we didn't schedule.

It's cute.

FUGameBreaker
September 13th, 2019, 12:04 PM
You missed Charlotte in '14. Technically they were still FCS that year I believe although they were transitioning because they were ineligible for the playoffs.

Georgia St was in the Sun Belt in 2013.... and nice of you to move the goalposts to include 2020 also.

It does make for a nice 10 year span

FUGameBreaker
September 13th, 2019, 12:06 PM
I like how you're including games we didn't schedule.

It's cute.

FCS OOC road games, consider it an all inclusive package

JSUSoutherner
September 13th, 2019, 12:07 PM

A Furman fan moving goal posts? No!

I think it's ironic a Furman fan is the lead on this thread considering Furman seems to back out of return games every other season.

MSUBobcat
September 13th, 2019, 12:07 PM
Your # is 7

No... it's not. You don't schedule the playoffs. Lower seeds, which the Bobcats sadly have been, have to travel to higher seeds because they EARNED it during the year. I guess to your point that it "must be nice" to have home playoff games, yes... that would be nice because the underlying reason for it is... my team must be pretty good. Having a pretty good team WOULD be nice xbawlingx

JSUSoutherner
September 13th, 2019, 12:08 PM
FCS OOC road games, consider it an all inclusive package

So why didn't you include neutrals? They are "on the road"

It's called goalpost moving, Chief.

clenz
September 13th, 2019, 12:17 PM
Playoffs are not OOC games.

FUGameBreaker
September 13th, 2019, 12:20 PM
No... it's not. You don't schedule the playoffs. Lower seeds, which the Bobcats sadly have been, have to travel to higher seeds because they EARNED it during the year. I guess to your point that it "must be nice" to have home playoff games, yes... that would be nice because the underlying reason for it is... my team must be pretty good. Having a pretty good team WOULD be nice xbawlingx

That is the minimum # of FCS OOC road games your program will play from 2011-2020

- - - Updated - - -

So why didn't you include neutrals? They are "on the road"

It's called goalpost moving, Chief.

Neutral's are not road games (they are neutral games)

Bisonator
September 13th, 2019, 12:20 PM
The point from the start is that:

1) It must be nice to have that many home games

and

2) This Saturday will be cool to see NDSU on the road in FCS play because its not something that happens very much at all, like AT ALL
We are on the road at minimum 4 games every year. Don't be a Richard!

FUGameBreaker
September 13th, 2019, 12:23 PM
We are on the road at minimum 4 games every year. Don't be a Richard!

I accidentally left off the OOC mark on that post, you guys need me to keep going over and over it for you so many times a slip will happen xnodx

- - - Updated - - -

So for Bisonator

This Saturday will be cool to see NDSU on the road in FCS OOC play because its not something that happens very much at all

Bisonator
September 13th, 2019, 12:25 PM
I accidentally left off the OOC mark on that post, you guys need me to keep going over and over it for you so many times a slip will happen xnodx
Since you've been moving the goal posts what's it care? My god man if you're going to troll at least be consistent!

FUGameBreaker
September 13th, 2019, 12:26 PM
Since you've been moving the goal posts what's it care? My god man if you're going to troll at least be consistent!

There is no moving of goal posts on the facts
The only trolling that has been done in this thread is you guys coming at me, but its all good

JSUSoutherner
September 13th, 2019, 12:26 PM
Playoffs are not OOC games.

This

FUGameBreaker
September 13th, 2019, 12:27 PM
This

Sure they are, when you play a team from another conference, in NDSU's case anyone outside MVFC that is FCS, which will happen 4 times in 10 years for them, makes this Saturday ultra RARE

JSUSoutherner
September 13th, 2019, 12:29 PM
Sure they are, when you play a team from another conference, in NDSU's case anyone outside MVFC that is FCS, which will happen 4 times in 10 years for them, makes this Saturday ultra RARE

So if you have playoff OOC games why aren't there playoff conference games?

When NDSU whips SDSU every year in the semi-finals they don't get a conference win.

Conference makes no difference after Thanksgiving.

melloware13
September 13th, 2019, 12:29 PM
The funny thing to me is that the team NDSU is visiting has only played 1 road OOC FCS game since 2009

FUGameBreaker
September 13th, 2019, 12:31 PM
So if you have playoff OOC games why aren't there playoff conference games?

When NDSU whips SDSU every year in the semi-finals they don't get a conference win.

Conference makes no difference after Thanksgiving.

OOC = Playing a team from another conference, but you already knew that xsmiley_wix

JSUSoutherner
September 13th, 2019, 12:33 PM
OOC = Playing a team from another conference, but you already knew that xsmiley_wix

So SDSU going to the Fargodome in December doesn't count?

TheKingpin28
September 13th, 2019, 12:34 PM
This thread is the gift that keeps on giving. I mean if you are going to dig your grave as deep as you can get it, might as well go all the way to the center of the Earth.

MSUBobcat
September 13th, 2019, 12:34 PM
The funny thing to me is that the team NDSU is visiting has only played 1 road OOC FCS game since 2009

I said the same... but it's actually 2 road OOC FCS games since 2009. Somehow the 'Pards got you to go to Easton in 2016.

FUGameBreaker
September 13th, 2019, 12:35 PM

Actually your # is 2 since 2011, well damn you two deserve each other then lol :D

Bisonator
September 13th, 2019, 12:35 PM
xdizzyx

Professor Chaos
September 13th, 2019, 12:37 PM
Wow... I must've missed the Delaware equivalent to this thread last September.

FUGameBreaker
September 13th, 2019, 12:38 PM
xdizzyx

Very, but you guys have only yourselves to blame

- - - Updated - - -

Wow... I must've missed the Delaware equivalent to this thread last September.

You're right I should have posted one then for them, missed my opportunity

- - - Updated - - -

Is there any other team out there that can beat the likes of NDSU's 4 and Delaware's 2?

Do we have another challenger lol???

Professor Chaos
September 13th, 2019, 12:40 PM
So SDSU going to the Fargodome in December doesn't count?
Apparently Delaware going to JMU last year in the playoffs doesn't count.

FUGameBreaker
September 13th, 2019, 12:41 PM
New thread title:

This Saturday marks the OOC FCS road game challenge CHAMPIONSHIP in Newark!

MSUBobcat
September 13th, 2019, 12:41 PM
So who are you most pissed at, your AD for not scheduling better or your fans for not showing up and filling the coffers so you can afford to stay home? Let's get to the root of the problem and the true reason for this thread, train wreck that it is.

MSUBobcat
September 13th, 2019, 12:43 PM
Apparently Delaware going to JMU last year in the playoffs doesn't count.

xlolx The "rules" for this thread are ever-changing and hard to follow.

FUGameBreaker
September 13th, 2019, 12:44 PM
So who are you most pissed at, your AD for not scheduling better or your fans for not showing up and filling the coffers so you can afford to stay home? Let's get to the root of the problem and the true reason for this thread, train wreck that it is.

The only ones that showed up pissed apparently where some of you, if you can't handle the facts then that's on you, I can't control that for you

FUGameBreaker
September 13th, 2019, 12:45 PM
xlolx The "rules" for this thread are ever-changing and hard to follow.

Been the same from the start, OOC FCS road games, not to hard, but I can understand if that's difficult to follow for some people in this world lol

FUGameBreaker
September 13th, 2019, 12:47 PM
So seems Delaware is Champ at 2

And NDSU will actually have to settle for runner up at 4

Hey we found something that NDSU can't win in FCS, so there's that xlolx

MSUBobcat
September 13th, 2019, 12:49 PM
The only ones that showed up pissed apparently where some of you, if you can't handle the facts then that's on you, I can't control that for you

xlolx Who's pissed? NDSU has the funds to not have to travel. So does Delaware. So does MSU. So does JMU. So does a whole bunch of teams. Apparently Furman isn't one of them. Jealousy is an ugly trait.

FUGameBreaker
September 13th, 2019, 12:52 PM
xlolx Who's pissed? NDSU has the funds to not have to travel. So does Delaware. So does MSU. So does JMU. So does a whole bunch of teams. Apparently Furman isn't one of them. Jealousy is an ugly trait.

Its funny that some of you have gotten so mad about it though, first sign of someone being mad 101 is to call the other one jealous, facts are facts mate, not my problem if they get you hot and bothered, I've been chillin from the start xpeacex

FUGameBreaker
September 13th, 2019, 12:55 PM
I was wondering why a few more Delaware fans where not commenting here, now we know why, they are CHAMPS at 2 total lol

MSUBobcat
September 13th, 2019, 12:59 PM
Its funny that some of you have gotten so mad about it though, first sign of someone being mad 101 is to call the other one jealous, facts are facts mate, not my problem if they get you hot and bothered, I've been chillin from the start xpeacex

Mad 101, huh? It's called Occam's Razor, mate. Facts are facts, but no one starts a forum thread to state a fact unless there's an underlying reason for it. And I'm far from "hot and bothered". I'm a fan of one of the "privileged" teams! I'm here for the entertainment value. As a Bison fan said, this is the thread that keeps on giving. Watching you pretzel your way thru this asinine discussion is hilarious.

FUGameBreaker
September 13th, 2019, 01:14 PM
Mad 101, huh? It's called Occam's Razor, mate. Facts are facts, but no one starts a forum thread to state a fact unless there's an underlying reason for it. And I'm far from "hot and bothered". I'm a fan of one of the "privileged" teams! I'm here for the entertainment value. As a Bison fan said, this is the thread that keeps on giving. Watching you pretzel your way thru this asinine discussion is hilarious.

Tell yourself whatever you need to in order to make yourself feel better xnodx

FUGameBreaker
September 13th, 2019, 01:17 PM
This thread has actually passed the actual NDSU vs. Delaware game thread in total replies, guess I struck a nerve that some of you are apparently very sensitive about, who knew that would be the case? lol

All in good fun xpeacex

Schism55
September 13th, 2019, 01:21 PM
This thread is the gift that keeps on giving. I mean if you are going to dig your grave as deep as you can get it, might as well go all the way to the center of the Earth.

See you in China in another 15 pages xcoffeex

FUGameBreaker
September 13th, 2019, 01:22 PM
See you in China in another 15 pages xcoffeex

xsmiley_wix

uni88
September 13th, 2019, 01:39 PM
Its also funny how some of you guys are so upset you keep trying to change my name around xlolx

Anyone want to comb through this thread and find all of the different user names that we've used for FUGB? We could have a poll to select the best one. Maybe we could actually change the username if a fundraising threshold is met.

Ursus, is that possible?
FUGB, are you willing to agree to a username change to help fund AGS?

FUGameBreaker
September 13th, 2019, 01:56 PM
Anyone want to comb through this thread and find all of the different user names that we've used for FUGB? We could have a poll to select the best one. Maybe we could actually change the username if a fundraising threshold is met.

Ursus, is that possible?
FUGB, are you willing to agree to a username change to help fund AGS?

If the money goes to AGS then sure lol xrotatehx But just because I can brush off insults easily, don't get lost in the fact that dishing out insults and personal attacks which some of you love to do is far more 'troll' worthy than any discussion about a programs scheduling habits xthumbsupx

Professor Chaos
September 13th, 2019, 02:22 PM
I can't believe every team doesn't schedule 3 homes game in December like NDSU does every year.... kind of a xchinscratchx

BisonBacker
September 13th, 2019, 02:29 PM

Shhhhh he's on a roll xlolx

FUGameBreaker
September 13th, 2019, 02:44 PM

Yep we found the Champ, its Delaware at 2 roadies, NDSU has been relegated to the runner up spot at 4 roadies

MSUBobcat
September 13th, 2019, 03:00 PM
Yep we found the Champ, its Delaware at 2 roadies, NDSU has been relegated to the runner up spot at 4 roadies

Why is it not 3 for Delaware? They played AT JMU to start the playoffs. Their conference record says 5-3, with losses to Rhody, Stony Brook and Nova making up the loss column. Or do road games against conference mates not count regardless of when they occur? Cuz if that's the case, if it pleases the court... I move to strike the OOC road game MSU played at EWU in 2015.... xrotatehxxdrunkyx

That drops us to 4 OOC FCS road games over 10 seasons, tying NDSU as runner up to Delaware!!! WHOOP WHOOP!

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 13th, 2019, 03:01 PM

Wasted my time reading this....

Redbird 4th & short
September 13th, 2019, 03:16 PM
Why is it not 3 for Delaware? They played AT JMU to start the playoffs. Their conference record says 5-3, with losses to Rhody, Stony Brook and Nova making up the loss column. Or do road games against conference mates not count regardless of when they occur? Cuz if that's the case, if it pleases the court... I move to strike the OOC road game MSU played at EWU in 2015.... xrotatehxxdrunkyx

That drops us to 4 OOC FCS road games over 10 seasons, tying NDSU as runner up to Delaware!!! WHOOP WHOOP!
I don't think playoffs count in this riveting debate over why the program with 7 championships in 8 years won't allow other FCS teams outside their conference profit off of their program's success more often than they do.

MSUBobcat
September 13th, 2019, 03:26 PM
I don't think playoffs count in this riveting debate over why the program with 7 championships in 8 years won't allow other FCS teams outside their conference profit off of their program's success more often than they do.

False, there was a rule change to include playoff games as OOC around page 18 or 19. But apparently not if it's against a conference foe, as in the case of Delaware and JMU last year which kept their OOC number at 2 rather than 3. But if playoff games against count, unless they're against conference foes.... I don't think games against conference foes should count even if they are played as OOC, as in the case of MSU at EWU in 2015. The rules of this game are changing at a very high rate and it's incredibly hard to keep up. All I know is FUgamechanger is the final say on what gets included.

FUGameBreaker
September 13th, 2019, 03:27 PM

You answered your own question, JMU is a conference mate

MSU in reverse order 2011-2020 (6 games)

@ WIU
@ SDSU
@ NDSU
@ SFA
@ Drake
@ Sam Houston St.

FUGameBreaker
September 13th, 2019, 03:33 PM
The good news for MSU, it seems as though 6 is good enough to get you on the podium in 3rd place, beating out the likes of JMU (9) and JSU (10) xdrunkyx

MSUBobcat
September 13th, 2019, 03:35 PM
You answered your own question, JMU is a conference mate

MSU in reverse order 2011-2020 (6 games)

@ WIU
@ SDSU
@ NDSU
@ SFA
@ Drake
@ Sam Houston St.

Ahhhhh yes... how silly of me to think that since EWU didn't count toward our conference standings in 2015 that they would be considered an OUT OF CONFERENCE game in your game of arbitrarily defining OOC. xlolx

Redbird 4th & short
September 13th, 2019, 03:35 PM
False, there was a rule change to include playoff games as OOC around page 18 or 19. But apparently not if it's against a conference foe, as in the case of Delaware and JMU last year which kept their OOC number at 2 rather than 3. But if playoff games against count, unless they're against conference foes.... I don't think games against conference foes should count even if they are played as OOC, as in the case of MSU at EWU in 2015. The rules of this game are changing at a very high rate and it's incredibly hard to keep up. All I know is FUgamechanger is the final say on what gets included.
dang it, I take 1 little nap and missed that rule change .. so hard to keep up !!!

Ok then ... so, we played NDSU in Frisco ini 2014 (ie Jan 2015) .... do we both get credit for this so called OOC road exception game or no ???

FUGameBreaker
September 13th, 2019, 03:37 PM
Ahhhhh yes... how silly of me to think that since EWU didn't count toward our conference standings in 2015 that they would be considered an OUT OF CONFERENCE game in your game of arbitrarily defining OOC. xlolx

I did not count them, as they are a team in your conference, your number is at 6 without including that game

FUGameBreaker
September 13th, 2019, 03:38 PM
dang it, I take 1 little nap and missed that rule change .. so hard to keep up !!!

Ok then ... so, we played NDSU in Frisco ini 2014 (ie Jan 2015) .... do we both get credit for this so called OOC road exception game or no ???

Its been the same rules since the start, but carry on xnodx

Any FCS game played against OOC teams on the road, Ill St. and NDSU same league, and Frisco is neutral site as well

MSUBobcat
September 13th, 2019, 03:51 PM

No... if I have this correct, playoff games count as OOC (provided that it's not against someone in your conference), but games played as an out of conference game against a conference foe do not. I think the confusion comes from both of those being 180 degrees from how.... well, everyone else in the world defines it.

Try to stay awake and keep up. This is fast moving discussion!!!!

clenz
September 13th, 2019, 04:07 PM
I did not count them, as they are a team in your conference, your number is at 6 without including that game
But it wasn't a conference game.

Thus it is an OUT OF CONFERENCE game.

ST_Lawson
September 13th, 2019, 04:10 PM
We're like the anti-NDSU...not sure we ever play at home. It's like the "tree falling in the woods" conundrum....if the Leathernecks play on Hanson Field, but nobody is around to see it, does the game really happen?

Also, surprised this thread hasn't devolved into food yet. Nearly all MVFC-related threads go that way eventually.

Redbird 4th & short
September 13th, 2019, 04:11 PM

https://media1.giphy.com/media/P6zlZqjdxsPwA/giphy.gif
(https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwifpbCa287kAhWpna0KHe79CJUQjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fgiphy.com%2Fexplore%2Fboom-goes-the-dynamite&psig=AOvVaw0D5IBiG5dCsqdmTrz-uIlD&ust=1568495499862817)

MSUBobcat
September 13th, 2019, 04:12 PM

YOU don't make the rules in this game, SIR! You can tell who the referee is by the purple uniform (Is that velvet? It looks dreamy, whatever it is).

uni88
September 13th, 2019, 04:13 PM
No... if I have this correct, playoff games count as OOC (provided that it's not against someone in your conference), but games played as an out of conference game against a conference foe do not. I think the confusion comes from both of those being 180 degrees from how.... well, everyone else in the world defines it.

Try to stay awake and keep up. This is fast moving discussion!!!!

How (literally) everyone else defines it is irrelevant. The only definitions/rules that matter are those that come from the Oracle of Greenville. The definitions/rules have not changed and the goalposts have not been moved. The definitions/rules have been clarified when needed by the Oracle to help us mere mortals understand his genius and absolute clarity of thought. We the ignorant and unwashed masses are so fortunate that he has ventured forth from his mom's basement to grace us with his presence and bestow his wisdom upon us. All hail FUSourGrapes, the Oracle of Greenville!

JSUSoutherner
September 13th, 2019, 04:14 PM

You realize that there's more than just the Conference game or non-confidence game, right?

There's also the sorta-conference non-confidence conference game.

They don't count. Duh.

MSUBobcat
September 13th, 2019, 04:15 PM
We're like the anti-NDSU...not sure we ever play at home. It's like the "tree falling in the woods" conundrum....if the Leathernecks play on Hanson Field, but nobody is around to see it, does the game really happen?

Also, surprised this thread hasn't devolved into food yet. Nearly all MVFC-related threads go that way eventually.

xlolx Well... I'm gonna see the game on the idiot box this weekend, so I think this one, at least, WILL happen.

To be fair... a fair number of folks in the MVFC footprint are..... plump.

MSUBobcat
September 13th, 2019, 04:20 PM
You realize that there's more than just the Conference game or non-confidence game, right?

There's also the sorta-conference non-confidence conference game.

They don't count. Duh.

All games that the Bobcats played are considered non-confidence games to us fans. Damn, Cardiac 'Cats!

- - - Updated - - -

How (literally) everyone else defines it is irrelevant. The only definitions/rules that matter are those that come from the Oracle of Greenville. The definitions/rules have not changed and the goalposts have not been moved. The definitions/rules have been clarified when needed by the Oracle to help us mere mortals understand his genius and absolute clarity of thought. We the ignorant and unwashed masses are so fortunate that he has ventured forth from his mom's basement to grace us with his presence and bestow his wisdom upon us. All hail FUSourGrapes, the Oracle of Greenville!

You GET it! All hail...

Redbird 4th & short
September 13th, 2019, 04:21 PM
Its been the same rules since the start, but carry on xnodx

Any FCS game played against OOC teams on the road, Ill St. and NDSU same league, and Frisco is neutral site as well

but the neutral site required a "road trip" and is not played with all the comforts of home ... correct on both points or no ?

kidding aside, i think the original debate was about how NDSU schedules their OOC games, and then all the comparisons to other programs came into debate .. my personal favorite being Delaware, the team they play this week. But nothing about scheduling playoff game's is within the control of the home team, so playoffs should not be part of this discussion.

Oh ... wait a second ... except that NDSU keeps winning all those frickin games to earn top 21 or seeds and all those home playoff games too ! Those bastards are guilty !!! So I take everything back .. the Bison are pussies who ARE obviously afraid to play on road.

Case closed ... my work here is done.

BisonFan02
September 13th, 2019, 04:25 PM
The Bison, statistically, are actually BETTER on the road...... xlolx

MSUBobcat
September 13th, 2019, 04:29 PM
The Bison, statistically, are actually BETTER on the road...... xlolx

Well yeah... I think that's the messiah's point, if I've translated the sanskrit tablet correctly... the Bison are scheduling home games to give the rest of FCS a chance!!!

uni88
September 13th, 2019, 04:29 PM
but the neutral site required a "road trip" and is not played with all the comforts of home ... correct on both points or no ?

kidding aside, i think the original debate was about how NDSU schedules their OOC games, and then all the comparisons to other programs came into debate .. my personal favorite being Delaware, the team they play this week. But nothing about scheduling playoff game's is within the control of the home team, so playoffs should not be part of this discussion.

Oh ... wait a second ... except that NDSU keeps winning all those frickin games to earn top 21 or seeds and all those home playoff games too ! Those bastards are guilty !!! So I take everything back .. the Bison are pussies who ARE obviously afraid to play on road.

Case closed ... my work here is done.

Your understanding of the divine teachings of the Oracle of Greenville is recognized and you are now a member of the Church of Sour Grapes. When you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.