PDA

View Full Version : Furman tougher than Tennessee

ST_Lawson
September 5th, 2019, 09:39 PM
Here you go Furman fans: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2852422-georgia-state-player-says-fcs-furman-will-be-tougher-battle-than-tennessee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gofurman
September 5th, 2019, 11:58 PM
Just hope we get out with no injuries. At least now if we lose by 20 no one should hold it against us. We now play Georgia State who upset UT and then VTech, sheesh (GState was supposed to be the easy one and while they are not VTech they probably had the biggest upset of week 1]

wonder if those coaches or STATS guys will see a Furman at 1-2 if we lose both and even know it’s an FCS crushing win and two FBS losses which shouldn’t be held against us ? You AGS guys would know. But After seeing the post from the LIU guy I get scared

PaladinFan
September 6th, 2019, 07:17 AM
For the record, the quote was from a Georgia State player.

PaladinNation
September 6th, 2019, 07:33 AM
Furman has quite a few FBS scalps, the last one coming in 2015 against UCF. Furman will not come into the game against GSU timid. CCH will bring the DINS in expecting to win, Based on comments made by Hendrix I expect Furman to play fast, play a lot of players, and have fun. Furman played base stuff against CSU and showed just a few blitz packages, who knows what wrinkles on offense and defense we might see.

If you look at the depth charts from both schools it's an interesting matchup on paper, Furman on paper is the bigger team in the trenches. That's typically rare for Furman, this will be a test to see how far along Furman is with recruiting and developing players to take Furman to the next level.

A few advantages for Furman. The Purple running backs ( Furman will play five backs) tailbacks; Wynn, Anderson, Watkins running backs (fullbacks) Abrams (6-1, 218) and Maples (5-11, 235). All five can catch, run, and block, the last time Furman had this physical of a backfield was during the Felton era. The most overlooked weapon for Furman is kicker Grayson Atkins (hit his 12th straight field goal last week) Atkins handles kick-offs, punts, extra-points, and field goals. If this game is close in the forth - Atkins range goes to 60 plus yards.

I expect a well-coached hard fought game… my gut tells me we might paint the ATL purple.

FUGameBreaker
September 6th, 2019, 09:38 AM
Make sure you tune in prime time Saturday night FCS fans, this one should be a dandy! xthumbsupx

Furman vs. Georgia State ESPN3
http://www.espn.com/watch?id=3186b719-cfb1-4abe-a2eb-82d09782602b

wapiti
September 6th, 2019, 09:51 AM
Just hope we get out with no injuries. At least now if we lose by 20 no one should hold it against us. We now play Georgia State who upset UT and then VTech, sheesh (GState was supposed to be the easy one and while they are not VTech they probably had the biggest upset of week 1]

wonder if those coaches or STATS guys will see a Furman at 1-2 if we lose both and even know it’s an FCS crushing win and two FBS losses which shouldn’t be held against us ? You AGS guys would know. But After seeing the post from the LIU guy I get scared

losing FBS games, even to a ranked FBS, can result in a ding in the polls, but not always. It might depend on how badly your team loses and how the teams directly behind you perform in their game. I have seen teams that should have made the playoffs miss because of 2 losses to FBS teams. It is possible to schedule yourself out of the playoffs.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 6th, 2019, 10:55 AM
If I'm Furman I'm going back to look at the Western Carolina game from last year. Not just because it's the same OC, but because Georgia State's in a similar mold to Western with a good QB and being pretty unexceptional at the skill positions.

The advantage Furman has is they're not going to look like they had no idea what's going to come up against their defense. If Furman can stretch Georgia State's defense vertically and get plays throwing the ball they'll make it a game.

PaladinFan
September 6th, 2019, 10:57 AM
losing FBS games, even to a ranked FBS, can result in a ding in the polls, but not always. It might depend on how badly your team loses and how the teams directly behind you perform in their game. I have seen teams that should have made the playoffs miss because of 2 losses to FBS teams. It is possible to schedule yourself out of the playoffs.

I mean, it's always possible, but it should not be that significant. I don't think this one will be a blow out.

While two FBS games in a season looks rough, the 12 game schedule makes a difference. Furman could lose both FBS games, beat Point (a virtual certainty), and go 6-2 in SoCon play to reach 8 wins (7 D1).

Of course, like everything, it depends on who you lose to and when you lose to them. I do not think losing to Georgia State last season dinged Kennesaw significantly (still was No. 4 seed in playoffs from a weak conference), and that was a 2-10 GSU team, not the GSU team coming off a P5 win that Furman will face.

FUGameBreaker
September 6th, 2019, 11:31 AM
If I'm Furman I'm going back to look at the Western Carolina game from last year. Not just because it's the same OC, but because Georgia State's in a similar mold to Western with a good QB and being pretty unexceptional at the skill positions.

The advantage Furman has is they're not going to look like they had no idea what's going to come up against their defense. If Furman can stretch Georgia State's defense vertically and get plays throwing the ball they'll make it a game.

Good analysis, I agree

wapiti
September 6th, 2019, 11:48 AM
I mean, it's always possible, but it should not be that significant. I don't think this one will be a blow out.

While two FBS games in a season looks rough, the 12 game schedule makes a difference. Furman could lose both FBS games, beat Point (a virtual certainty), and go 6-2 in SoCon play to reach 8 wins (7 D1).

Of course, like everything, it depends on who you lose to and when you lose to them. I do not think losing to Georgia State last season dinged Kennesaw significantly (still was No. 4 seed in playoffs from a weak conference), and that was a 2-10 GSU team, not the GSU team coming off a P5 win that Furman will face.

But what does the playoff committee prefer: A a 8-4 team with 2 FBS losses and 1 lower div win or a 10-2 team that did not play a FBS squad nor played down a division.
I think the committee would prefer the 10-2 team, unless that team has a really weak schedule: That weak schedule is often due to conference affiliation (Pioneer, NEC, SWAC, MEAC, Patriot, Big South, Ohio Valley) So it is important for these weaker conference teams to schedule well for their OOC games and win them. Such as what NC AT did this year.

PaladinFan
September 6th, 2019, 11:49 AM

Clay Hendrix faced WCU the last two years with middling results. The Paladins dominated a game in Cullowhee in 2017 that was played in a heavy rainstorm and favored Furman's "ground and pound" attack over WCU's misdirection.

Last season, Furman surrendered a bunch of yards to the Catamounts, who, I think, came back from three touchdowns down to make a game of it.

While last year's effort was not a sterling defensive stand by any stretch, I do not think it was as bad as the final stat line indicated. Tyrie Adams took his team on his back and carried them by what I can only imagine was sheer determination.

The good news for Furman is they were able to get to Adams in both games. He took punishment and was knocked out of both contests for a time. While he "got his yards," the Paladin defense hit him over and over again. I think they are going to have do similar against Dan Ellington, GSU's QB. Perhaps the most lethal guy in a Brad Glenn offense, though, is the H-Back/TE, who he loves to slip out in the red zone and makes him a formidable target.

The real battle in this one, I think, will be Furman's offensive line against GSU's defensive front. If I am the DC, I will do whatever I can to slow down Devin Wynn and the Paladin backfield and force the freshman QB to beat me throwing the ball.

ksu_owls
September 6th, 2019, 12:07 PM
I believe Furman wins this game. Ga State was cocky going into KSU last year and won on a last minute TD pass after extremely questionable play calling by KSU (interception with a 14-point lead?? WHY did we ever throw the ball anyway??). That to say, it's a new Ga State team but I promise they'll be cocky after that UT win, which in my opinion leaves the door open for Furman to upset them. I actually respect the SoCon, and Furman falls into that weird place where they could be the best or 4th best in their conference. Go beat up some panthers!

FUGameBreaker
September 6th, 2019, 01:06 PM
I believe Furman wins this game. Ga State was cocky going into KSU last year and won on a last minute TD pass after extremely questionable play calling by KSU (interception with a 14-point lead?? WHY did we ever throw the ball anyway??). That to say, it's a new Ga State team but I promise they'll be cocky after that UT win, which in my opinion leaves the door open for Furman to upset them. I actually respect the SoCon, and Furman falls into that weird place where they could be the best or 4th best in their conference. Go beat up some panthers!

Thanks, hope you're right! Good luck against Kent St.!

gofurman
September 6th, 2019, 02:28 PM

But we all saw the post by the LIU guy who votes. Some of these voters have no clue - Furman lost to Georgia State??? and Furman is 1-2 after losing to VTech? 1-2 ! out of poll. LOL - after seeing the LIU voter say there were no real upsets in week one it scares me (um, JSU, Wofford - did he even look???)

gofurman
September 6th, 2019, 02:35 PM

right, that's all I am saying. Losing to a ranked FBS by a decent score' should NOT drop a team in FCS polls. but some stupid STATS guys or whomever do it. we have all seen it. And if Furman loses this game to a team capable of beating UT.. then we play VTech.. so 1-2 I guarantee that (though not warranted at all) we will be dinged by some ignorant voters at 1-2. AGS guys won't ding us or not as much unless GSU runs us out of the building - though even then maybe they are gonna be SunBelt contenders this year? we don't know.

I just wish we didn't have 2 FBS or that the 'easier' one (GSU as opposed to VTech) hadn't come out looking like their QB is the Tyrie Adams of FBS vs UT.. lol

Whats tough is then most would agree the top two in SoCon look (very early) to be Furman and Mercer. After GSU and VTech? we play Mercer. we could easily be a top 20 team and maybe a SoCon co champ and start 1-3. Guess IF we do go 1-3 we will just have to win a lot from that point on. Furman Mercer - man that is a doosy

After seeing what teams have done (GSU .. Mercer) so far our schedule just looks really front-loaded. Oh well, I think if we represent well vs FBS and end up 8-4 we are probably in playoffs at end of year. Hard to turn down a team at 8-4 if TWO losses ar FBS and even though one is NAIA. That would be 7-2 vs FCS of SoCon and the Charleston Southern team we just KILLED last week.

ElCid
September 6th, 2019, 03:51 PM
right, that's all I am saying. Losing to a ranked FBS by a decent score' should NOT drop a team in FCS polls. but some stupid STATS guys or whomever do it. we have all seen it. And if Furman loses this game to a team capable of beating UT.. then we play VTech.. so 1-2 I guarantee that (though not warranted at all) we will be dinged by some ignorant voters at 1-2. AGS guys won't ding us or not as much unless GSU runs us out of the building - though even then maybe they are gonna be SunBelt contenders this year? we don't know.

I just wish we didn't have 2 FBS or that the 'easier' one (GSU as opposed to VTech) hadn't come out looking like their QB is the Tyrie Adams of FBS vs UT.. lol

Whats tough is then most would agree the top two in SoCon look (very early) to be Furman and Mercer. After GSU and VTech? we play Mercer. we could easily be a top 20 team and maybe a SoCon co champ and start 1-3. Guess IF we do go 1-3 we will just have to win a lot from that point on. Furman Mercer - man that is a doosy

After seeing what teams have done (GSU .. Mercer) so far our schedule just looks really front-loaded. Oh well, I think if we represent well vs FBS and end up 8-4 we are probably in playoffs at end of year. Hard to turn down a team at 8-4 if TWO losses ar FBS and even though one is NAIA. That would be 7-2 vs FCS of SoCon and the Charleston Southern team we just KILLED last week.

Just win both FBS games and take the drama out of it.🤪

PaladinFan
September 6th, 2019, 03:55 PM
Just win both FBS games and take the drama out of it.浪

That would send some ripples through the FCS landscape, I think.

ElCid
September 6th, 2019, 04:17 PM
That would send some ripples through the FCS landscape, I think.

Yeah it would. We did it in 92. That got us #1 in the final regular season poll. Unfortunately our only two loses that year were to both finalists (YSU and Marshall), one in the regular season, and one in playoffs. I am pretty sure someone else had 2 FBS victories in same season as well, but I forgot who.

wapiti
September 6th, 2019, 04:29 PM
How about a P5 FBS win, and a Div 2 loss in back to back weeks. My team did that once. We still made the playoffs that season.

FUGameBreaker
September 7th, 2019, 05:20 AM
https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1170053505798889478

SU DOG
September 7th, 2019, 08:31 AM
Nice mention of the Paladins on College Game Day just now. Saying that Ga state had better watch out playing this very good FCS team.

FUGameBreaker
September 7th, 2019, 12:21 PM
Nice mention of the Paladins on College Game Day just now. Saying that Ga state had better watch out playing this very good FCS team.

Indeed, here is the video from College Gameday
https://www.facebook.com/edward.forrester.56/videos/10162281289125374/

FUGameBreaker
September 7th, 2019, 12:27 PM
https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1170384735303954432

FUGameBreaker
September 7th, 2019, 05:30 PM
https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1170441610007470080

thirdgendin
September 7th, 2019, 06:56 PM
You have to give Lazarus credit because he knew what he was talking about. Early 2Q, Furman leads Georgia State 20-3. The Paladins have out-gained GSU 242-73.

FUGameBreaker
September 7th, 2019, 06:57 PM
https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1170485687268892672

ksu_owls
September 7th, 2019, 07:11 PM
I believe Furman wins this game...

...Furman falls into that weird place where they could be the best or 4th best in their conference. Go beat up some panthers!

So far I’m right about the first part but way off on the second part lol Furman looks pretty dang good from what I’ve watched. Definitely top of SoCon.

FUGameBreaker
September 7th, 2019, 07:41 PM
Wow some of the most bogus officiating going on at GA ST. to try and let them get back in the game, absurd and totally rigged

thirdgendin
September 7th, 2019, 07:41 PM
20-17 at half after GSU scores on the last play of the half from 10 yards out.

FUGameBreaker
September 7th, 2019, 07:43 PM
20-17 at half after GSU scores on the last play of the half from 10 yards out.

Actually the threw and interception and a fumble that the refs completely gifted back to GSU, what a joke

- - - Updated - - -

Hard to be a fan of sports when you see things being so rigged for one school, GA St should be ashamed

FUGameBreaker
September 7th, 2019, 07:49 PM
FU would be blowing the living CRAP out of GSU right now if the refs were not absurdly biased, disgusting

thirdgendin
September 7th, 2019, 08:20 PM
All GSU in the last 12 minutes of gametime. Now 31-20 midway through the 3rd.

ST_Lawson
September 7th, 2019, 09:09 PM
FU would be blowing the living CRAP out of GSU right now if the refs were not absurdly biased, disgusting

Thus goes most FCS vs FBS games. Lots of big-time "homer" calls.
Furman looks good.

FUGameBreaker
September 7th, 2019, 09:43 PM
Thus goes most FCS vs FBS games. Lots of big-time "homer" calls.
Furman looks good.

Refs were sickening tonight, oh well

thirdgendin
September 7th, 2019, 09:43 PM
48-42 bad guys, Final. We certainly have ourselves a quarterback this season in Greenville! Defense, on the other hand, needs to improve.

ST_Lawson
September 7th, 2019, 09:45 PM
So....Georgia State wins by 8 on the road in Tennessee. Then they go home and win by only 6.
Looks like the original quote was right...Furman was tougher than Tennessee.

gofurman
September 7th, 2019, 09:56 PM
So....Georgia State wins by 8 on the road in Tennessee. Then they go home and win by only 6.
Looks like the original quote was right...Furman was tougher than Tennessee.

I knew ST_Lawson was a good guy ! I'll have to pull a lil' for Western Illinois now

gofurman
September 7th, 2019, 10:02 PM
question of the night - how far will the coaches and stats knock us down (not the AGS guys here) for losing that close (42-48) and putting almost equal yards on Georgia State who went into Neyland and beat UT straight up?

FU - 540 yards of O. GState - 560 yards of O .. track meet.

also, UT gained 90 yards on ground vs GSU. 3 yds per carry. We gained 215 on ground.. 5 yards per carry. LOL - personally I would leave Furman ranked where they are but I just wonder about those poll guys

PaladinFan
September 7th, 2019, 10:15 PM
Out of our control.

The furman team I saw tonight will be a handful for any fcs program

gofurman
September 7th, 2019, 10:24 PM
Out of our control.

The furman team I saw tonight will be a handful for any fcs program

agree. you still like that they have the Western Carolina offensive coordinator? :D - I DONT. like last year w WCU .. w a QB like that, that offense is lethal. well, esp to FURMAN. we beat WCU last year 44-38 w that O. Tonight we lose (granted, FBS team!) 42-48. coincidence, I think not. we cannot defend a strong athletic qb running that system. we can't. we will win a lot of FCS games but I think you would agree we need to shore up our pass D - BAD. what is it about Furman that MAKES our defense think other QBs can't complete passes? "Hey, let's play 7 yards away.. let them catch it.. and then go tackle. 8 yard gain. 48 points later... LOL

FUGameBreaker
September 7th, 2019, 10:30 PM
Kinda strange to me that GA ST is paying us $325k and next week Virginia Tech is paying us $425k, I would have thought there would be a bigger difference than $100k between the two payouts

PaladinFan
September 7th, 2019, 10:34 PM
agree. you still like that they have the Western Carolina offensive coordinator? :D - I DONT. like last year w WCU .. w a QB like that, that offense is lethal. well, esp to FURMAN. we beat WCU last year 44-38 w that O. Tonight we lose (granted, FBS team!) 42-48. coincidence, I think not. we cannot defend a strong athletic qb running that system. we can't. we will win a lot of FCS games but I think you would agree we need to shore up our pass D - BAD. what is it about Furman that MAKES our defense think other QBs can't complete passes? "Hey, let's play 7 yards away.. let them catch it.. and then go tackle. 8 yard gain. 48 points later... LOL

Explaining this all again would take more energy than I care to muster.

Bottom line, that’s probably the best QB we will see all season. He was going to make plays, and did.

tigonian02
September 7th, 2019, 10:37 PM
Kinda strange to me that GA ST is paying us $325k and next week Virginia Tech is paying us $425k, I would have thought there would be a bigger difference than $100k between the two payouts

Thats between ADs. Generally though FCS schools get paid within a set threshold. There usually won’t be something like a $500k difference or anything.

gofurman
September 7th, 2019, 10:53 PM
Explaining this all again would take more energy than I care to muster.

Bottom line, that’s probably the best QB we will see all season. He was going to make plays, and did.

agree he is special. only other guys in close proximity are VTech maybe - don't know him - and Tyrie Adams.. then Mercer Riddle

FUBeAR
September 7th, 2019, 11:04 PM
FU would be blowing the living CRAP out of GSU right now if the refs were not absurdly biased, disgustingHate it...but the fumble/non-turnover was the correct call. When the FU Player corralled the ball, his right forearm was on the sideline. I would like another look at the INT that was overturned though.

gofurman
September 7th, 2019, 11:38 PM
Hate it...but the fumble/non-turnover was the correct call. When the FU Player corralled the ball, his right forearm was on the sideline. I would like another look at the INT that was overturned though.

agree w FUBeAR - why review the fumble we had and overturn it but not exercise a review on the INT? did they even review the INT? It was called a non-INT on field and we took a timeout but I never saw the refs get together. All that said, you have to play some DEFENSE - 560 yards for an opponent ain't gonna cut it. We gained 540 and thus both teams in the 40s. I hate PAC12 football. play some defense.. LOL

Caveat on that D comment, as PaladinFan said that's probably the best QB we see all year. VTEch is similar when you consider they are probably better on OL too though. But that's just it, that's a crazy good QB and so hard to get to, though I must say I was a little disappointed in our pass rush. a few times he had ALL DAY to just pick us apart esp when we rush 3. please don't rush 3 vs a mobile QB. please

PaladinNation
September 8th, 2019, 06:49 AM
agree w FUBeAR - why review the fumble we had and overturn it but not exercise a review on the INT? did they even review the INT? It was called a non-INT on field and we took a timeout but I never saw the refs get together. All that said, you have to play some DEFENSE - 560 yards for an opponent ain't gonna cut it. We gained 540 and thus both teams in the 40s. I hate PAC12 football. play some defense.. LOL

Caveat on that D comment, as PaladinFan said that's probably the best QB we see all year. VTEch is similar when you consider they are probably better on OL too though. But that's just it, that's a crazy good QB and so hard to get to, though I must say I was a little disappointed in our pass rush. a few times he had ALL DAY to just pick us apart esp when we rush 3. please don't rush 3 vs a mobile QB. please

GoFurman, I think what you're missing here - based on CCH's comments after the game is the speed of the GSU system. Furman came in under manned FBS vs FCS faced a team in a two-minute offense the entire game, with an elite QB. Clay mentioned Furman rotated nine bodies but that sill wan't enough. Yes, we didn't get a sack but IMO that was due to GSU line, and the elusiveness of Ellington.

Furman is going to be a very tough out for any FCS team this season.

FUGameBreaker
September 8th, 2019, 11:06 AM

You answered your own question, they did the review that would help GSU and not the one that would hurt GSU

It was RIGGED, FU was the better team but a RIGGED system wins every single time

Kinda demoralizing as a sports fan, makes it hard to care all that much in the future with BS like that going on

gofurman
September 8th, 2019, 12:05 PM
GoFurman, I think what you're missing here - based on CCH's comments after the game is the speed of the GSU system. Furman came in under manned FBS vs FCS faced a team in a two-minute offense the entire game, with an elite QB. Clay mentioned Furman rotated nine bodies but that sill wan't enough. Yes, we didn't get a sack but IMO that was due to GSU line, and the elusiveness of Ellington.

Furman is going to be a very tough out for any FCS team this season.

PaladinNation, First I agree we played well, though BETTER ON OFFENSE than D ( that’s undeniable in a shootout of 48-42). I agree their speed of system worked us over. We got pushed around much more in second half than first.

I just get frustrated because we knew their system - they go fast most every game - yet people picked us to win? I thought let’s see _. They have . A great QB w great WRs ( I studied Sunbelt unit rankings) running same O as western with far better talent ? Why would I think we would win. We beat western w a positive turnover ratio last year 44-38 and they have FAR less talent. And that was at Furman! On road, confident GSU team w Western OC and good bit more talent... and a freak QB. I am surprised we stayed as close as we did

I get frustrated when our fans pick us to win and then AFTERWARDS back off and say ‘well we knew it probably wouldn’t happen’ Not big on backing down AFTER the fact.

I am impressed w what Hendrix has done. And GSU took advantage of depth as they should. We got wore out - wonder if VT will speed it up a little? Funny, I’ve seen us play lots of games including FBS and rarely if ever have I seen us wear out that clearly. Odd for a Furman team we think has depth. Hope that’s an anomaly. It was clear we KNew we were wearing out as we were hiking the ball after letting 15 seconds tick off. Though that’s also to limit possessions I know.

One other point - first our O looked AWESOME so not ahuge thing here but it is something. But I know some fans have said our system works without tall WRs. But There is still an advantage in tall WRs as we could see their WRs take advantage of our CBS at times on high throws like that beauty to end zone. Our Best WR ? Gordon who is at least a 6’0 guy I THINK .

summary - super impressed w offense. Run D did well. I understand the opponent but pass D does need work ... it does. yes, that’s. A great QB w quality WRs but of the 4 basic facets - our run O, our pass O, our pass d, run d... clearly pass D is our weakest link. Grainger looked super !

Ijust want to beat Mercer ! They may be best passing team in SoCon. I soooo don’t want to be 1-3

PaladinFan
September 8th, 2019, 01:07 PM
PaladinNation, First I agree we played well, though BETTER ON OFFENSE than D ( that’s undeniable in a shootout of 48-42). I agree their speed of system worked us over. We got pushed around much more in second half than first.

I just get frustrated because we knew their system - they go fast most every game - yet people picked us to win? I thought let’s see _. They have . A great QB w great WRs ( I studied Sunbelt unit rankings) running same O as western with far better talent ? Why would I think we would win. We beat western w a positive turnover ratio last year 44-38 and they have FAR less talent. And that was at Furman! On road, confident GSU team w Western OC and good bit more talent... and a freak QB. I am surprised we stayed as close as we did

I get frustrated when our fans pick us to win and then AFTERWARDS back off and say ‘well we knew it probably wouldn’t happen’ Not big on backing down AFTER the fact.

I am impressed w what Hendrix has done. And GSU took advantage of depth as they should. We got wore out - wonder if VT will speed it up a little? Funny, I’ve seen us play lots of games including FBS and rarely if ever have I seen us wear out that clearly. Odd for a Furman team we think has depth. Hope that’s an anomaly. It was clear we KNew we were wearing out as we were hiking the ball after letting 15 seconds tick off. Though that’s also to limit possessions I know.

One other point - first our O looked AWESOME so not ahuge thing here but it is something. But I know some fans have said our system works without tall WRs. But There is still an advantage in tall WRs as we could see their WRs take advantage of our CBS at times on high throws like that beauty to end zone. Our Best WR ? Gordon who is at least a 6’0 guy I THINK .

summary - super impressed w offense. Run D did well. I understand the opponent but pass D does need work ... it does. yes, that’s. A great QB w quality WRs but of the 4 basic facets - our run O, our pass O, our pass d, run d... clearly pass D is our weakest link. Grainger looked super !

Ijust want to beat Mercer ! They may be best passing team in SoCon. I soooo don’t want to be 1-3

Maybe you should submit an application for defensive coordinator. You clearly know more than our defensive staff after looking up SunBelt statistics and the box score from last year's game against Western Carolina.

You could recruit a bunch of 6'1 cornerbacks and play press-man coverage every snap. No underneath completions under your leadership. Just think, we'd never lose again. It'd be great. We'd get so tired of winning.

AmsterBison
September 8th, 2019, 04:55 PM
agree he is special. only other guys in close proximity are VTech maybe - don't know him - and Tyrie Adams.. then Mercer Riddle

Mercer's Riddle caught my eye today so hopefully I can find some games to stream. He's tied for the FCS lead with 7 TD passes, and I think he threw them all before the 4th quarter (i.e. he wasn't just piling on stats in garbage time.) Efficiency is 189 too.

gofurman
September 8th, 2019, 08:39 PM
Maybe you should submit an application for defensive coordinator. You clearly know more than our defensive staff after looking up SunBelt statistics and the box score from last year's game against Western Carolina.

You could recruit a bunch of 6'1 cornerbacks and play press-man coverage every snap. No underneath completions under your leadership. Just think, we'd never lose again. It'd be great. We'd get so tired of winning.

dam man, you do get a little defensive dont you? You are both knowledgeable and usually really really good but you really LOST YOUR FOCUS this time. this time.. as I said, usually you stay on point and really know your stuff. Read what I typed. Here just to help you out - "I just get frustrated because we knew their system - they go fast most every game - yet people picked us to win? I thought let’s see _. They have . A great QB w great WRs ( I studied Sunbelt unit rankings) running same O as western with far better talent ? Why would I think we would win. We beat western w a positive turnover ratio last year 44-38 and they have FAR less talent. And that was at Furman! On road, confident GSU team w Western OC and good bit more talent... and a freak QB. I am surprised we stayed as close as we did

I get frustrated when our fans pick us to win and then AFTERWARDS back off and say ‘well we knew it probably wouldn’t happen’ Not big on backing down AFTER the fact. "
--------------------------

So I was frustrated that people had all the data in front of them and still thought we would win - fwiw, I am 17-8 betting against the spread - which is RIDICULOUS. that should tell you all you need to know. I didn't say I could COACH better. I said I was frustrated that people pick us to win and the AFTERWARDS say "well, we knew they had depth and would hurry up and had big receivers so yeah, it figures we would lose in a close battle" (paraphrase). Where was that statement BEFORE THE FRICKIN game. people pick us to win and then back the F up afterwards. that's WEAK

shut up about me coaching - I NEVER said I should coach. NEVER. though I do note no one is mentioning all the new D coaches we have - there I WILL. because that's a possible thing in play here.. ! others play the political correct game and then back the F up later. I KNOW it's an FBS team. I know the QB was great. That's why I didn't really think we would win. And we didn't. Like it always annoyed me no one would say anything about Fowler or BL recruiting until NOW. I heard, "we have great recruits, etc etc unicorns and sugar blowing - it is all great ". Now, once those coaches are gone people call it like it was. I had ONE guy I could count on to tell me the recruiting was falling short. THAT deserves respect. I mention this bc it's the same thing of calling something WHAT it is, WHEN it is. Coaching is a public job - they know this.

For what it is worth I am talking w a former player and he agrees 100% w me. We have issues to improve on - pass D esp - but will probably do so and look super in other areas. hope we can have a good pass rush vs FCS and better coverage. CSU obviously sucks a@s as USC beat them by 60 (I bet that one after seeing them SUCK ASS vs us). the line was Gamecocks -33. an 'ok' USC won 72-10

You were on a tangent that i both did not deserve NOR ever said !!!!!!! I have NEVER said I should coach. I do seem to have a decent perception before a game of how it will play out. fwiw, FU has covered vs FBS something crazy like 12-3 in last 15 (I paraphrase the number but its A LOT). We covered vs GSU this week , Clemson last year, Michigan State a few years back, obviously UCF since we beat them outright. There, despite you being a lil' ass to me I just gave you data that can make you MONEY !xdrunkyx

oh, and ANOTHER thing :D - part of my frustration was rushing 3 guys. Not all about the DBs. Almost EVERYONE agrees that was a mistake. big time. but I notice you don't mention that. That's when the QB settled in and things started changing. for the love of humanity, dont EVER do the rush 3 drop 8 unless it 3rd and 20. even then I begin to doubt it. So it wasn't all about the CBs. Heck, we were missing our best two CBs. rush at least 4 to help the backup DBs !!!

and you probably think I am too 'tough' on the team or some PC junk. Here is what I put on our gopaladins website VERBATIM prior to even seeing this post so this is a true reflection of me:
Paldindeuce said "Agreed, but after they had continued success why not make an adjustment? I have seen a couple of things in the first two games that are a concern. The good thing is I have seen much more that outweighs the negatives. We will have to make some scheme adjustments on D, but I feel we can get exponentially better as the season progresses. ( We will have to ). Watching some Mercer film I like the QB, but he isn’t the same caliber we saw last night. I think this team has a good chance to make some noise in the playoffs and take home another conference title. / GOFURMAN SAID: "Paladin-deuce, I agree . esp with the bold. Many great things we have seen and the PLUS are more than the MINUS ... a few things are concerning and if we want a really good year we have to make some adjustments on D. As you said, we can get better and yes, we will need to.

You see that I see more positives than negatives ! We look great and Grainger looks great. Just (as he says and I think deuce was a player too) there are some adjustments we need to make on D.

thanks - I sent you a PM if that is easier. you can tell this really got me - I don't like being told "why don't you coach?" THAT IS F'ING STUPID. as the question always is ( and I think you are smart / I know you are from some posts) - it's not whether I should coach.. THAT IS STUPID and is redneck rhetoric. The right question (yet again you lost focus) is whether someone else in coaching would do better that Furman could hire. EXAMPLE close to home: how we vastly improved from Fowler to hiring Hendrix !! Calling Fowler out in his 3-8 year was the right thing to do. and some people still said, like you here, "what, you think YOU could do better?"
NO ! But Furman could. and we did !!!!! Hendrix is a TON better. Not that you and I should be coaches but that FURMAN could get a better coach than Fowler.

No changes should be made now. NONE. we look great . now if the pass D looks like that in 2 years vs FCS. yeah, changes should be made but that's way out there and something I hope we don't have to deal with.

ok, moving on. real question - Q1) Do you agree we need to make some adjustments on D? Q2) would you agree rushing 3 was probably a mistake by our staff? Let me know - I am waiting for the answers

PaladinNation
September 8th, 2019, 09:52 PM
am I the only one tired of this thread? please kill this thread for all our sakes.

gofurman
September 8th, 2019, 09:54 PM
am I the only one tired of this thread? please kill this thread for all our sakes.

but will you man up and take a bet on GSU being Sunbelt .500 or less (me)... over .500 you? money talks... you gonna put your money where your mouth is ? what about Tommys ham house ? :D

also, asking to kill a thread is poor form when I have an open question (actually 2 questions) for PaladinFan right there.. that's really not polite PaladinNation

tigonian02
September 9th, 2019, 12:15 AM
but will you man up and take a bet on GSU being Sunbelt .500 or less (me)... over .500 you? money talks... you gonna put your money where your mouth is ? what about Tommys ham house ? :D

also, asking to kill a thread is poor form when I have an open question (actually 2 questions) for PaladinFan right there.. that's really not polite PaladinNation
I myself am intrigued by GaState. I thought Furman would beat them and bring them back to earth. In terms of the Sunbelt, their defense isn't great, but their offense seems fairly competitive this year. Add to that, Apps coaching change looks to have slowed them down AND regressed their defense a bit...

My take on the rest of their schedule:

Western Michigan - The MAC is bad, but this is honestly a toss up game. Should give more info on their team as a whole.
Texas State - GaState should win this game
Arkansas State - AState is using an interim coach but they are still dangerous. GaState will probably lose this one.
Coastal Carolina - beat Kansas last week, but that’s apparently not hard to do. Not enough info yet on this one.
Army - Jeff Monken ain’t losing to GaState
Troy - L
ULM - ULM is competent this year.
App State - Probably an L. GaState has scored 33 points ever against App.
South Alabama - State should win this one.
Georgia Southern - Southern does not look quite there yet. We’ll see how it works out

i see them going 4-6 in the rest of these games. 5-5 at best.

FUBeAR
September 9th, 2019, 04:26 AM
I myself am intrigued by GaState. I thought Furman would beat them and bring them back to earth. In terms of the Sunbelt, their defense isn't great, but their offense seems fairly competitive this year. Add to that, Apps coaching change looks to have slowed them down AND regressed their defense a bit...

My take on the rest of their schedule:

Western Michigan - The MAC is bad, but this is honestly a toss up game. Should give more info on their team as a whole.
Texas State - GaState should win this game
Arkansas State - AState is using an interim coach but they are still dangerous. GaState will probably lose this one.
Coastal Carolina - beat Kansas last week, but that’s apparently not hard to do. Not enough info yet on this one.
Army - Jeff Monken ain’t losing to GaState
Troy - L
ULM - ULM is competent this year.
App State - Probably an L. GaState has scored 33 points ever against App.
South Alabama - State should win this one.
Georgia Southern - Southern does not look quite there yet. We’ll see how it works out

i see them going 4-6 in the rest of these games. 5-5 at best.

https://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/misc/navbit-home.png (https://www.anygivensaturday.com/index.php)
Forum (https://www.anygivensaturday.com/index.php)
General FCS (https://www.anygivensaturday.com/forumdisplay.php?1-General-FCS)
FCS Discussion (https://www.anygivensaturday.com/forumdisplay.php?2-FCS-Discussion)
Furman tougher than Tennessee