PDA

View Full Version : 2019-09/07 AGS GOTW Week 2

Preferred Walk-On
September 3rd, 2019, 04:16 PM
Although there are only four FBS matchups involving AGS Top 25 teams this week, there is also only one game with both teams ranked in the Top 25. However, there are two other games involving teams in the Top 40 and a few games with bragging rights hanging in the balance. The matchups are sorted by highest ranked team in each matchup. Enjoy!

North Dakota (Ind) @ #1 North Dakota State (MVFC) - Both beat Pioneer teams last week and both won by 40+ points over said teams, but only one is even ranked in the AGS Top 40.

#11 Central Arkansas (Southland) @ Austin Peay (OVC) - The Bears made a statement as the only FCS team to beat an FBS team in Week 1. The Governors are coming off a decisive win over North Carolina Central and appear to be formidable as a potential OVC title contender. Central Arkansas looks to continue momentum, while Austin Peay looks to make a statement over a ranked opponent.

#16 Southeast Missouri State (OVC) @ #15 Montana State (Big Sky) - Is this the year that the Redhawks lay claim to the OVC title? The Bobcats need this win to quiet the naysayers who are surprised at their current ranking and put a quality win in their resume come playoff time.

North Alabama (Big South) @ #18 Montana (Big Sky) - The Lions continue their tour to prove that although they cannot be AGS ranked by rule, they deserve to be there. Montana looks to continue positive momentum before heading to Oregon.

#20 Delaware (CAA) @ Rhode Island (CAA) - A conference matchup and "revenge" game for the Blue Hens, after losing to the Rams in the season opener a year ago. Rhode Island's only FCS losses last year were to CAA teams that made the FCS playoffs (for what it's worth).

Lehigh (Patriot) @ #21 Villanova (CAA) - The Wildcats made an early statement with their win over Colgate and had a BYE to prevent a letdown. A statement win over the Mountain Hawks could go a long way in determining if #21 is truly warranted for this team.

#39 The Citadel (SoCon) @ #27 Elon (CAA) - With two teams in the Top 40, both coming off hard-fought losses, this game could put some perspective on what these teams really are and how they might fit into their respective conferences going forward.

#30 Chattanooga (SoCon) @ #25 Jacksonville State (OVC) - What looked to be an interesting matchup prior to Week 1 looks even more interesting now that one team is looking to bounce back and not be bounced from the AGS Top 25 for the first time since 2013. The Mocs look to be undefeated going into their matchup with the Vols.

#35 New Hampshire (CAA) @ Holy Cross (Patriot) - Team predicted to finish 2nd in the Patriot vs. a team that appears to be riding reputation and speculation to garner AGS recognition, despite having not yet played a game (think Ivies). We'll see if their performance here moves the needle.

TheKingpin28
September 3rd, 2019, 04:22 PM
Where is the poll?

Thanks

TheKingpin28
September 3rd, 2019, 04:44 PM
North Dakota (Ind) @ #1 North Dakota State (MVFC) Personal choice, but we all know this will be a domination, unless Entz takes his foot off the gas.
North Alabama (Big South) @ #18 Montana (Big Sky) Is tUNA the real deal this year? A win against lowly WIU looks nice on paper but UM should be a playoff team
#20 Delaware (CAA) @ Rhode Island (CAA) Delaware beat one of the worst teams, but can they beat a team on the road that should be equal on paper.
#39 The Citadel (SoCon) @ #27 Elon (CAA) Both teams should be sniffing November/December this year, but going 0-2 will be a roadblock for those dreams.
#30 Chattanooga (SoCon) @ #25 Jacksonville State (OVC) See El Cid vs Elon, the difference is, JSU could go 0-2 and still 7-1/8-0 in OVC play and make the dance.
#16 Southeast Missouri State (OVC) @ #15 Montana State (Big Sky) This one moves the needle for me as I need to know what happens against peer ranked teams.

This was my train of thought for these games and each of them (sans Nickel Trophy) could easily warrant GoTW. That said, I felt as if the Chatty/JSU rivalry took the cake for me.

kdinva
September 3rd, 2019, 04:55 PM
Where is the poll?

Thanks

it is there now, but I, for one, can't read the dark blue "banner" above it......

JSUSoutherner
September 3rd, 2019, 05:13 PM
I'm most interested in the outcome SEMO and Montana State, but SLU aside, the UTC/JSU series has just been packed full of phenomenal games. 2017 was obviously an outlier for the Mocs.

But I think even the Mocs fans can appreciate what damn good football games we've had in the past even if they've been coming up just short in all of them.

My money is on JSU and UTC to be the most entertaining football game of the weekend.

POD Knows
September 3rd, 2019, 05:21 PM
Picked UND V NDSU, game is going to be a lot closer than you think, NDSU only beat Butler by 47 and UND beat Drake by 40 and Drake beat Butler by 30 last year, so I have the UNDies by about 20+ in this game. xnodx

ursus arctos horribilis
September 3rd, 2019, 05:41 PM
it is there now, but I, for one, can't read the dark blue "banner" above it......

Yeah, that is a problem that will need to get fixed.

TheValleyRaider
September 3rd, 2019, 05:41 PM
Gonna take Ranked vs. Ranked again this week. Interesting matchup, a win will look really good in November. Could it be part of an argument for a seed?

The Citadel-Elon and Chattanooga-Jacksonville State also look fun, as the losers could look desperate pretty early on in the season.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 3rd, 2019, 05:43 PM
Where is the poll?

Thanks

When you start these threads it puts a thread up but then you go on to another page to set up the poll in that process and if it takes a couple minutes then you can have members seeing it (thread) without the poll being attached for a minute or two.

TheKingpin28
September 3rd, 2019, 05:44 PM
When you start these threads it puts a thread up but then you go on to another page to set up the poll in that process and if it takes a couple minutes then you can have members seeing it (thread) without the poll being attached for a minute or two.

I edited the post as I was unaware that it takes a few minutes. I learned something new today.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 3rd, 2019, 05:46 PM
I think SEMO/MSU is probably GOTW but they all look like games I'm really wanting to see so gonna wait to vote for a day on this one.

ST_Lawson
September 3rd, 2019, 06:47 PM
I'm interested in most of these, but SEMO @ Montana State is my pick. Ranked vs ranked, plus we play Montana State 7 days later at our place, so I'd like to see what we're up against this year.
Also paying close attention to UNA at Montana to see if UNA is just that good or if we're just that bad (I'm guessing the latter, but hoping for the former).

Mostly echoing other people's comments on Chatty @ Cocks, and the non-Nickel Trophy game.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 3rd, 2019, 07:50 PM
SEMO vs Montana State will be a good one. Good test for each one of them.

UND's super bowl coming up. NDSU should dominate this game. UND will crowd the box to stop the run. Lance has 3 rushing TDs in this game.

Gil Dobie
September 3rd, 2019, 09:45 PM
UNA@ Montana

Derby City Duke
September 3rd, 2019, 09:53 PM
Citadel - Elon. Loser has an uphill climb to make the playoff, though I temper that thought with the fact there's a 12-game schedule this year. Maybe a bit more wiggle room than normal. Still, both teams still have to face an FBS foe, so the loser is facing 3 OOC losses. That puts the added pressure of having to lose 1 max in-conference to be comfortable on selection Sunday.

ElCid
September 3rd, 2019, 10:45 PM
Pretty good match ups to pick from. I like our game, but the UTC and JSU game is a little more appealing due to recent history the last few years and especially in light of last week. Should be a good one. I also like the SEMO/Mont St game.

Ivytalk
September 4th, 2019, 06:49 AM
UND at NDSU: The Fracking Bowl

POD Knows
September 4th, 2019, 07:44 AM
SEMO vs Montana State will be a good one. Good test for each one of them.

UND's super bowl coming up. NDSU should dominate this game. UND will crowd the box to stop the run. Lance has 3 rushing TDs in this game.I hope SEMO exposes MSU for the paper tiger that they are, they were one of the worst teams the Bison faced last year. Maybe the new QB will help them but their D was horrible.

dewey
September 4th, 2019, 07:57 AM
I fully admit that my vote is a homer vote.

UN_ at North Dakota State University. Banner raising in front of the old, hated rival.

The SEMO at Montana State, UNA at Montana and the Chattanooga at Jacksonville State games also looks really good.

Dewey

Mocs123
September 4th, 2019, 08:31 AM
It may or may not be the most important game of the week, but I think Chattanooga at Jacksonville State may be the best game. I posted this on the game thread forum, but for those that don't follow this rivalry, here is some of the recent history - most every game is a one score game:

2005 Mocs win 21-18 at JSU. The biggest win and highlight of Rodney Allison's coaching career.
2006 JSU wins 13-10 at Chattanooga. The Mocs kick a FG tie the game with ten seconds left and no timeouts but JSU has a penalty. Rodney Allison takes points off the board and goes for the win. We throw it short of the end zone and get tackled on the two yard line as time expires. The beginning of the end of Coach Allison.
2010 JSU wins 21-17 in Jacksonville. JSU scores 14 points late in the 4th quarter to win the game. It was a heartbreaking defeat.
2011 Mocs win 38-17 in Chattanooga. The only lopsided score in the series in the past decade.
2012 JSU beats the Mocs 27-24 in Jacksonville
2014 The Mocs fall 26-23 in overtime at Chattanooga
2015 JSU scores 10 points in the 4th to beat the Mocs 23-20 in Chattanooga
2015 Playoffs JSU beats the Mocs 41-35 in OT at Jacksonville
2017 Tom Arths debut game the Mocs fall 27-13 in the kickoff classic.

On top of that you have:

A JSU player flipping UTC fans off after the game and coming into the visitors stands (I think his family was sitting in the area, but lets just say there was an altercation between this particular player and UTC students - neither of whom were acting appropriate)
JSU complaining that UTC trashed the visitor's locker room - (pictures showed tape, etc everywhere but no real damage that I could see)
Coach Grass not coming to midfield to shake Coach Huesman's hand after a game (He was celebrating with his team in the endzone - Not a huge deal to me but it sure made Huesman mad)
Then coach Rodney Allison claiming "He didn't come to Chattanooga to beat Jacksonville State" that became bulletin board material for JSU. At the time UTC was considering a move to the OVC and Allison was against it. It turns out as SoCon fans remember, Allison didn't come to Chattanooga to beat much of anyone and was fired in 2008 after a 1-11 season.
Chattanooga fans chanting "We're not Furman" in the 4th Quarter of the win in 2005 (The game prior I think JSU stopped Ingle Martin of Furman in the 4th quarter to win the game)

JSUSoutherner
September 4th, 2019, 08:34 AM
It may or may not be the most important game of the week, but I think Chattanooga at Jacksonville State may be the best game. I posted this on the game thread forum, but for those that don't follow this rivalry, here is some of the recent history - most every game is a one score game:

2005 Mocs win 21-18 at JSU. The biggest win and highlight of Rodney Allison's coaching career.
2006 JSU wins 13-10 at Chattanooga. The Mocs kick a FG tie the game with ten seconds left and no timeouts but JSU has a penalty. Rodney Allison takes points off the board and goes for the win. We throw it short of the end zone and get tackled on the two yard line as time expires. The beginning of the end of Coach Allison.
2010 JSU wins 21-17 in Jacksonville. JSU scores 14 points late in the 4th quarter to win the game. It was a heartbreaking defeat.
2011 Mocs win 38-17 in Chattanooga. The only lopsided score in the series in the past decade.

On top of that you have:

A JSU player flipping UTC fans off after the game and coming into the visitors stands (I think his family was sitting in the area, but lets just say there was an altercation between this particular player and UTC students - neither of whom were acting appropriate)
JSU complaining that UTC trashed the visitor's locker room - (pictures showed tape, etc everywhere but no real damage that I could see)
Coach Grass not coming to midfield to shake Coach Huesman's hand after a game (He was celebrating with his team in the endzone - Not a huge deal to me but it sure made Huesman mad)
Then coach Rodney Allison claiming "He didn't come to Chattanooga to beat Jacksonville State" that became bulletin board material for JSU. At the time UTC was considering a move to the OVC and Allison was against it. It turns out as SoCon fans remember, Allison didn't come to Chattanooga to beat much of anyone and was fired in 2008 after a 1-11 season.
Chattanooga fans chanting "We're not Furman" in the 4th Quarter of the win in 2005 (The game prior I think JSU stopped Ingle Martin of Furman in the 4th quarter to win the game)

By "JSU player flipping off UTC fans" you mean this, right?

https://twitter.com/4everDestiny_/status/673265854587498496

And in coach Allison's defense, it doesn't seem like much of anyone comes to UTC to beat Jax State.

FUBeAR
September 4th, 2019, 08:40 AM

On top of that you have:

I was enjoying your post so much...until the end.

JaxSt has NEVER beaten Furman. Poultry is 0-3 All-Time vs. the Paladins.

Mocs123
September 4th, 2019, 09:04 AM
Perhaps I'm wrong FUBeAR - It was a long time ago, but I seem to remember them stopping Ingle Martin at the goal line or some sort of controversy, do you remember? I can't find a copy of JSU's 2005 football schedule.

SUPharmacist
September 4th, 2019, 09:07 AM
SEMO@Montana State for me. I currently am not sure how good either team is, but am hoping for a competitive matchup.

UND@NDSU I am hoping is a bloodbath making it a bad choice fot GOTW. I think UNA might make the game in Missoula competitive, but I cannot see the upset happening.

Mocs123
September 4th, 2019, 09:10 AM
By "JSU player flipping off UTC fans" you mean this, right?

https://twitter.com/4everDestiny_/status/673265854587498496

And in coach Allison's defense, it doesn't seem like much of anyone comes to UTC to beat Jax State.

That was part of the altercation. Barge came by the visitors section and flipped UTC fans off, a UTC student threw beer? coke? in his face and he came into the stands. It was distasteful on both sides. I was in the stands ten or fifteen rows behind the incident.

And you're right, apparently we like to just come and play close games leading to agonizing defeats, but I'm hoping that ends on Saturday. I'd like to play a close game and beat you in double overtime just to repay some of the games we've played in the past.

JSUSoutherner
September 4th, 2019, 09:11 AM
That was part of the altercation. Barge came by the visitors section and flipped UTC fans off, a UTC student threw beer? coke? in his face and he came into the stands. It was distasteful on both sides. I was in the stands ten or fifteen rows behind the incident.

And you're right, apparently we like to just come and play close games leading to agonizing defeats, but I'm hoping that ends on Saturday. I'd like to play a close game and beat you in double overtime just to repay some of the games we've played in the past.

Bull****. That was before we even played I'll Fly Away. He was walking over to us. He hadn't even gotten to the visitors stands.

I know. I was there.

Mocs123
September 4th, 2019, 10:03 AM
I was there too and Barge walked over to the visitors stands and gave us the double bird right after the game. I hadn't even left the stands yet, and I had no intention of sticking around after that heartbreaking loss. There were certainly words (lots of them) between Barge and UTC students sitting in the front rows - I have no idea what was said, but I can imagine it wasn't nice from either side. Barge entered the stands and I think it escalated from there but I can't verify as I was leaving by that point. In Barges defense (and don't get me wrong I thought he was an excellent, but classless player), he did have someone sitting in the stands in this same area - (I never understood why they would sit in the middle of the visitors section, but apparently it wasn't normally that full).

Of course I would never condone a Chattanooga fan throwing beer or Coke, or whatever it was at a player, no matter what he did or said. Of course I don't think a player should ever enter the stands either, and least not that close to the end of the game (it's not like this was 30 min after the game).

FUBeAR
September 4th, 2019, 10:53 AM
Perhaps I'm wrong FUBeAR - It was a long time ago, but I seem to remember them stopping Ingle Martin at the goal line or some sort of controversy, do you remember? I can't find a copy of JSU's 2005 football schedule.
Happy to oblige...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOAGA7rTvpo

JSUSoutherner
September 4th, 2019, 10:56 AM
I was there too and Barge walked over to the visitors stands and gave us the double bird right after the game. I hadn't even left the stands yet, and I had no intention of sticking around after that heartbreaking loss. There were certainly words (lots of them) between Barge and UTC students sitting in the front rows - I have no idea what was said, but I can imagine it wasn't nice from either side. Barge entered the stands and I think it escalated from there but I can't verify as I was leaving by that point. In Barges defense (and don't get me wrong I thought he was an excellent, but classless player), he did have someone sitting in the stands in this same area - (I never understood why they would sit in the middle of the visitors section, but apparently it wasn't normally that full).

Of course I would never condone a Chattanooga fan throwing beer or Coke, or whatever it was at a player, no matter what he did or said. Of course I don't think a player should ever enter the stands either, and least not that close to the end of the game (it's not like this was 30 min after the game).

Knowing Barge, if he flipped y'all off, you guys probably deserved it.