PDA

View Full Version : In-Stadium Beer Sales

clenz
September 3rd, 2019, 10:35 AM
I did a search and found a number of threads with the topic but not a "catch all" thread.

This morning UNI announced stadium wide beer sales, though it will not be allowed in the student section or "family fun zone". It has been sold in the basketball arena in a beer garden for 2 years, and it looks like that is now arena wide as well

I know a few others are selling it, so let's put a list together and debate the merits of it here.

IBleedYellow
September 3rd, 2019, 10:40 AM
NDSU needs to get with the program.

Tribe4SF
September 3rd, 2019, 10:44 AM
W&M has the Tribe Tavern which is the entire south endzone of Zable Stadium. Beer and wine must be consumed within the tavern area. Only other alcohol consumpion is in the luxury suites on the second level of the home side. Tribe Tavern was a welcome addition which opened last year. $150 gets you admission to Tavern and 3 beers per game for six games.

F'N Hawks
September 3rd, 2019, 10:50 AM
The Alerus Center is basically a bar. Beer stands throughout at each corner in the concourse. Three full bars in the main concourse with every kind of booze you could want. Students have to go drink in the concourse, though.

There are also these setups as well:

Far North Spirits: New to the Happy Harry's Suite Level this year is Far North Spirits. They will be featuring their Ålander rum and Roknar whiskeys exclusively on the Happy Harry's Suite Level. Far North Spirits craft distills four different rye whiskies each with its own distinct mash bill and unique aging and finishing techniques.
Silver Bullet Bar: The Silver Bullet Bar at Alerus Center is a destination spot with a unique view for football games, concerts, and more. Featuring a one-of-a-kind bar on the SE bridge deck, the Silver Bullet Bar offers a birds eye view over the south end zone and is a great place to enjoy the event with friends and family.
Barefoot Bar: Get Barefoot and have a great time at the new Barefoot Bar at Alerus Center. With a full bar featuring Barefoot Wines, New Amsterdam vodka, and much more.

Trust me, it helps us get through the season lately.

POD Knows
September 3rd, 2019, 10:53 AM
NDSU needs to get with the program.If they ever decided to do that, I would bet that they would crank tailgating back from 5 hours to 3 hours as a trade off. I could be wrong, but I could see it happening.

Derby City Duke
September 3rd, 2019, 11:00 AM
JMU is starting beer sales this year. No data as of yet as first home game is 9/7.

clenz
September 3rd, 2019, 11:01 AM
It's interesting that schools that have been selling beer have studied it and found lower rates of alcohol related incidents outside of the stadium.

nodak651
September 3rd, 2019, 11:08 AM
It's interesting that schools that have been selling beer have studied it and found lower rates of alcohol related incidents outside of the stadium.

Assuming beer sales helps to reduce the number of people who sneak in flasks.

F'N Hawks
September 3rd, 2019, 11:08 AM

I honestly cannot name once incident outside the Alerus Center. They have been selling booze since it opened in 2001.

I also do not understand why schools don't tap into this resource.

clenz
September 3rd, 2019, 11:14 AM
Assuming beer sales helps to reduce the number of people who sneak in flasks.
Partially.

Largely it has to do with, at least early results, the culture outside the stadium shifting from one of "I need to get as many in me before I go into the stadium to maintain a buzz all game" to one of slightly less binge drinking knowing they can get a one or two in the stadium. On the day the person might consume the same amount of beer, but it's more spread out and done "more responsibly"

ST_Lawson
September 3rd, 2019, 11:19 AM
WIU started in on beer sales last season. I have not heard if it was considered a success or not (didn't seem to help our attendance much). I didn't hear about any problems with it though.
I assume we'll go with the same this year, if not somewhat expanded (our old president was a BIG TIME teetotaler...he's gone now).

Professor Chaos
September 3rd, 2019, 11:20 AM
I honestly cannot name once incident outside the Alerus Center. They have been selling booze since it opened in 2001.

I don't think selling beer itself makes that much money. Say you sell 10,000 beers at $8 a piece and your profit on each is $5 that's $50k for a game. $250k for 5 homes games or $300k for 6 games. Sure that's a good chunk of change but it's not like it's going to make a big dent in the average athletic department budget. And in the case of NDSU or UND where the facility is not owned by the university they're sharing that pie with the Alerus Center or Fargodome.

To me the reason why schools are going this route is to get more fans in the door. Selling more tickets is where the money is made. To a certain extent keeping fans at the game longer to buy more concessions probably helps a bit but not as much as for the added ticket sales. If adding beer sales gets you an extra 25k tickets sold over the course of a season at an average of $30 a piece that's $750k and that money is going directly to the athletic department even if it's in a city owned facility.

Attendance at college football is slowly dropping around the country but the college football venues that sell beer is increasing. I don't think that's a coincidence.

NDSU needs to get with the program.
And the reasons I mentioned above are why I don't think NDSU is in any hurry to sell beer in the Fargodome. They sell out regardless. If they get to a point where the Fargodome doesn't consistently sell out then I bet beer sales are strongly considered.

JSUSoutherner
September 3rd, 2019, 11:22 AM
JSU is allegedly selling it this season.

Which is appropriate.

CHIP72
September 3rd, 2019, 11:41 AM

The answer is obvious - they need to sell beer in bottles/cans!

[emoji6][emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JacksFan40
September 3rd, 2019, 11:43 AM
Well we turned down a brand new stadium years ago before we got the Dykhouse all because the company wanted their beer to be sold. I heavily doubt we’ll be selling beer anytime soon because it’s not “family friendly.”

lionsrking2
September 3rd, 2019, 11:49 AM
We've been selling beer and daiquaris at athletics events for several years, with very few issues.

Bisonoline
September 3rd, 2019, 11:58 AM
Partially.

Largely it has to do with, at least early results, the culture outside the stadium shifting from one of "I need to get as many in me before I go into the stadium to maintain a buzz all game" to one of slightly less binge drinking knowing they can get a one or two in the stadium. On the day the person might consume the same amount of beer, but it's more spread out and done "more responsibly"

Those people who have that mentality probably wont change . They are going to still put away as much as possible to avoid spending 8.00 on a beer. IMO people with this mentality dont need access to more alcohol. They are already a pain in the ass as they are constantly going to the bathroom effecting the gameday experience for those around them.

clenz
September 3rd, 2019, 12:18 PM
Those people who have that mentality probably wont change . They are going to still put away as much as possible to avoid spending 8.00 on a beer. IMO people with this mentality dont need access to more alcohol. They are already a pain in the ass as they are constantly going to the bathroom effecting the gameday experience for those around them.Large scale studies done at large universities show the opposite of your feelings on it.

IBleedYellow
September 3rd, 2019, 12:19 PM
Those people who have that mentality probably wont change . They are going to still put away as much as possible to avoid spending 8.00 on a beer. IMO people with this mentality dont need access to more alcohol. They are already a pain in the ass as they are constantly going to the bathroom effecting the gameday experience for those around them.

I believe there is research that proves your claims to be incorrect.

EDIT: Blow me, clenzy.

penguinpower
September 3rd, 2019, 12:28 PM
Youngstown has been selling beer in the stadium and in the tailgate lot. They've been selling it in the stadium for at least a year or 2

BisonTru
September 3rd, 2019, 12:30 PM
Partially.

This. People like to drink at football games. Hell what other events are socially acceptable to start drinking at, at 8 in the morning.

People will maintain and drink at a reasonable pace if they know they can get a beer throughout the game.

It’s really the non drinking crowd that screams bloody murder when this gets brought up. However, it’s not based on any solid logic or facts. It’s basically a selfish I don’t drink so I don’t think the rest of you should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clenz
September 3rd, 2019, 12:46 PM

37 days

JayJ79
September 3rd, 2019, 12:46 PM
next up: selling pot brownies and other edibles in-stadium in states where cannabis is legalized. (I don't think smoking of any kind should be allowed in stadiums)

slostang
September 3rd, 2019, 12:49 PM
Cal Poly started selling beer in the stadium last year.

The Cats
September 3rd, 2019, 01:05 PM
Earlier this year, the North Carolina governor signed into law a bill that will allow NC public colleges to sell alcohol at sporting events beginning this year.

Universities that are pursuing the sale of alcohol at UNC System athletic events (via UNC System central office):

UNC-Chapel Hill
N.C. State
UNC-Charlotte
East Carolina

Universities that are either discussing how the new law impacts them or are exploring their options, but have yet to make a final decision:

Winston-Salem State
Elizabeth City State
UNC-Asheville
Appalachian State
Fayetteville State
N.C. Central
N.C. A&T
UNC-Wilmington
Western Carolina
UNC-Greensboro (at off campus events only currently, no plans to sell alcohol at on-campus events)

Universities that are not currently pursuing sale of alcohol:

UNC-Pembroke

Outsider1
September 3rd, 2019, 01:31 PM
Never will be sold at our venues since it isn't allowed on campus at all. I don't mind. When I went to the UNT game last weekend it was strange to see the beer guy selling it in the isle. Call me different. If I want a drink at a restaurant or at home I'll get one. I like our atmosphere at games without it.

Redbird 4th & short
September 3rd, 2019, 01:56 PM
ISUr just this year will start selling liquor during games. Previously, we only allowed liquor in the banquet/reception hall behind the suites, and then also in the end zone they call Touchdown Terrace for certain level donors. Primary motivation with opening up liquor sales was more to do with incenting fans to leave remote tailgate areas and come in for game. We do shut down the tailgate lots 15 minutes after game starts, but can only do that in the formal tailgate spots.

I'm sure it is not entirely coincidence that we do this now as overal football attendance is coming down almost everywhere. Smart moving timing wise ... nothing wrong with wanting to make a buck and slow the decline of butts in seats for the 25m stadium rennovation we are still paying off.

It can only help ... even if just a little.

TheKingpin28
September 3rd, 2019, 02:04 PM
I'll say this, it was nice to have a Summit EPA at the game. I had just the one, but it was a nice change of pace. Ideally, I'd like to have them add it to the gameday experience, but it wont cause me to stop going to the games.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Bisonoline
September 3rd, 2019, 03:19 PM

So the people around where I sit must be an anomaly?

So the marketing strategy here is---dont get wasted at tailgate when you can keep your buzz at peak levels by buying and consuming more alcohol during the game. I mean what could go wrong knowing how our fans drink right. :Dxlolx

cx500d
September 3rd, 2019, 03:32 PM
I did a search and found a number of threads with the topic but not a "catch all" thread.

This morning UNI announced stadium wide beer sales, though it will not be allowed in the student section or "family fun zone". It has been sold in the basketball arena in a beer garden for 2 years, and it looks like that is now arena wide as well

I know a few others are selling it, so let's put a list together and debate the merits of it here.

Then it’s not stadium wide

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

McCowboys
September 3rd, 2019, 04:13 PM
McNeese has had a beer garden at baseball for some time. It allowed beer sales at football games starting last year and at the new basketball arena. I imagine sales are allowed at volleyball (opening in the new arena this year) and at the softball and soccer fields, but I do not know that for a fact.

JayJ79
September 3rd, 2019, 04:15 PM
Never will be sold at our venues since it isn't allowed on campus at all. I don't mind. When I went to the UNT game last weekend it was strange to see the beer guy selling it in the isle. Call me different. If I want a drink at a restaurant or at home I'll get one. I like our atmosphere at games without it.
I've always found it odd how some Christian denominations are totally against alcohol, while others will even use it as a religious sacrament.

Outsider1
September 3rd, 2019, 04:44 PM
I've always found it odd how some Christian denominations are totally against alcohol, while others will even use it as a religious sacrament.

1) ACU is nondenominational.
2) It is what it is. ACU won't go after students, staff or faculty who are over 21 and want to have a drink on their own time away from campus as long as they abide by codes of conduct. If any "incident" happened that put the school in a bad light, or put anyone at risk, that would be another story as that would be considered out of conduct/character.
3) The no alcohol on campus rule just helps keep the conduct/character atmosphere in check.
4) You wanna give me a little wine at communion I would have no beef...
5) I do like the very family friendly atmosphere at our games.

JayJ79
September 3rd, 2019, 05:26 PM
1) ACU is nondenominational.
2) It is what it is. ACU won't go after students, staff or faculty who are over 21 and want to have a drink on their own time away from campus as long as they abide by codes of conduct. If any "incident" happened that put the school in a bad light, or put anyone at risk, that would be another story as that would be considered out of conduct/character.
3) The no alcohol on campus rule just helps keep the conduct/character atmosphere in check.
4) You wanna give me a little wine at communion I would have no beef...
5) I do like the very family friendly atmosphere at our games.
I wasn't necessarily complaining.
it seems that a large majority of the stupidity that takes place has alcohol involved somehow. But then, even if alcohol were banned, I'm sure there would still be plenty of stupidity occurring. Seems to be ingrained in human nature.

penguinpower
September 3rd, 2019, 06:00 PM

The Protestant religion broke off the Catholic religion in the1500's (Martin Luther) and then they formed sub-sets of their religion where that can no longer drink. However, I spoke to a Baptist that told me that most drink but privately because there would be no way liquor stores could remain in business is small southern towns otherwise. I have friends that won't drink around their Baptist parishioners but they drink around me because Catholics drink for the most part. There are several bible verses that caution against drinking.

ElCid
September 3rd, 2019, 06:21 PM
We have had two full bars in our club level where folks could take their drinks out into their cordoned off seats if they want to, since 2008. Beer, wine or liquor. I think we sold beer for the last couple years to the general admission folks. I don't drink any more so I really don't pay attention. As far as sneaking any in, the latest policy regarding bags and metal detectors pretty much rules out bringing in very much. I guess glass mini bottles in a pocket would work.

RootinFerDukes
September 3rd, 2019, 06:46 PM
JMU begins sale of it this week. They will have you get ID’ed for a four notch wristband. Buy up to four per person per game and up to two per person per transaction.

Obviously, it’s not being sold near the student sections.

The specific beer for sale this week:

Home Opener Alcoholic Beverage Offerings (all 16 oz cans)
$7 – Bud Light, Coors Light, Miller Lite
$8 – Bold Rock Hard Cider, Devil's Backbone Vienna Lager, Three Notch'd Minute Man IPA

Outsider1
September 3rd, 2019, 09:16 PM
it seems that a large majority of the stupidity that takes place has alcohol involved somehow. But then, even if alcohol were banned, I'm sure there would still be plenty of stupidity occurring. Seems to be ingrained in human nature.

Yeah, I get ya and totally agree. I knew you weren't really complaining. I am glad that ACU isn't fundamentalist, they just try and keep some sense of purpose and community without formally including those things. I have battled fundamentalist policies formally engrained in my Church history on a professional level for years. I have been guilty of stupidity even without alcohol from time to time. :)

lionsrking2
September 3rd, 2019, 10:16 PM

Well, here in south Louisiana, it wasn't all that long ago that some youth baseball leagues sold beer at games to raise funds, and there may be some that still do. It's culture and a way of life in a lot of these communities and not a second thought is given. LSU couldn't sell beer until this year due to SEC rules (they now allow it), but Tulane and ULL have been selling for a while and we've been selling for about 10 years or so. Only reason we didn't in years past is we have churches across the street from campus, but they have since given the ok.

caribbeanhen
September 4th, 2019, 05:07 AM
If I ever get to another college football game I plan on being completely sober, besides missing plays for having to run to the bathroom..... beer is a young man's game!

POD Knows
September 4th, 2019, 07:55 AM
If I ever get to another college football game I plan on being completely sober, besides missing plays for having to run to the bathroom..... beer is a young man's game!This is true, that is why I switched to Tequila or Caesars a few years back at Bison tailgates, lot less liquid involved. xnodx My intake of alcohol before games has dropped off considerably in the past 10 to 15 years.

CenMEBlackBearFan
September 4th, 2019, 08:00 AM
If I ever get to another college football game I plan on being completely sober, besides missing plays for having to run to the bathroom..... beer is a young man's game!

They have meds for those problems caribbeanhenxdrunkyx
Maine started selling beer behind the south end zone, has to be consumed in that area , seems a good way to increase tix sales and revenue from the beer sales as wellxthumbsupx

ST_Lawson
September 4th, 2019, 08:23 AM

I forget where you're located...you safe from Dorian?

caribbeanhen
September 4th, 2019, 04:34 PM
I forget where you're located...you safe from Dorian?

Yes, all safe down here in San Juan, PR for once.... it came through just east of here and hit the Virgin Islands last week

CenMe blackbear - I had some meds offered to me but declined, probably a mistake, I will admit this, good strategy to get old timers into the Docs office for the old prostate exam is got the female hotty Med students to perform the deed, I will not miss the next appointment that is for sure haha

POD - That is a good strategy, I'm thinking of starting a website map app of where all the bathrooms in NYC are.... it is a real problem

Bill
September 4th, 2019, 08:51 PM
I don't think selling beer itself makes that much money. Say you sell 10,000 beers at $8 a piece and your profit on each is $5 that's $50k for a game. $250k for 5 homes games or $300k for 6 games. Sure that's a good chunk of change but it's not like it's going to make a big dent in the average athletic department budget. And in the case of NDSU or UND where the facility is not owned by the university they're sharing that pie with the Alerus Center or Fargodome.

To me the reason why schools are going this route is to get more fans in the door. Selling more tickets is where the money is made. To a certain extent keeping fans at the game longer to buy more concessions probably helps a bit but not as much as for the added ticket sales. If adding beer sales gets you an extra 25k tickets sold over the course of a season at an average of $30 a piece that's $750k and that money is going directly to the athletic department even if it's in a city owned facility.

Attendance at college football is slowly dropping around the country but the college football venues that sell beer is increasing. I don't think that's a coincidence.

And the reasons I mentioned above are why I don't think NDSU is in any hurry to sell beer in the Fargodome. They sell out regardless. If they get to a point where the Fargodome doesn't consistently sell out then I bet beer sales are strongly considered.
Professor,
You're getting close with those numbers. Here is a quote from the NY Times back in 2015:
"In that environment, alcohol sales are a moneymaker. West Virginia’s athletic director, Shane Lyons, said last month that “approximately $500,000 a year just in beer comes back to us.”

I have seen numbers close to 750K reported...and the recent deals signed by UT Austin are insane. Corona is the "official" imported beer of UT Football, and they paid handsomely for that. I'll try to find more but my work computer is not here!

Bisonoline
September 4th, 2019, 09:17 PM
Professor,
You're getting close with those numbers. Here is a quote from the NY Times back in 2015:
"In that environment, alcohol sales are a moneymaker. West Virginia’s athletic director, Shane Lyons, said last month that “approximately $500,000 a year just in beer comes back to us.”

I have seen numbers close to 750K reported...and the recent deals signed by UT Austin are insane. Corona is the "official" imported beer of UT Football, and they paid handsomely for that. I'll try to find more but my work computer is not here!

They own their stadiums correct? Then they have nobody to split the pie with. NDSU plays in the Fargodome. Concessions workers are volunteer teams whose
reimbursed labor goes to charities or fund drives.
According to a past AD who researched it he said the money to be made wasnt great enough to go down that road.

JayJ79
September 4th, 2019, 11:17 PM
Professor,

while beer companies might pay quite a bit of sponsorship money to be the "official beer" of Texas football or whatever, I'm going to guess that they're not going to pay near that amount to be the official sponsor of most FCS teams, as they tend to be a much smaller profile market.

WileECoyote06
September 5th, 2019, 05:15 AM
Earlier this year, the North Carolina governor signed into law a bill that will allow NC public colleges to sell alcohol at sporting events beginning this year.

Universities that are pursuing the sale of alcohol at UNC System athletic events (via UNC System central office):

UNC-Chapel Hill
N.C. State
UNC-Charlotte
East Carolina

Universities that are either discussing how the new law impacts them or are exploring their options, but have yet to make a final decision:

Winston-Salem State
Elizabeth City State
UNC-Asheville
Appalachian State
Fayetteville State
N.C. Central
N.C. A&T
UNC-Wilmington
Western Carolina
UNC-Greensboro (at off campus events only currently, no plans to sell alcohol at on-campus events)

Universities that are not currently pursuing sale of alcohol:

UNC-Pembroke

A&T and App State have joined the beer servers.
WSSU decided against since the city owns the stadium.

The Cats
September 5th, 2019, 01:09 PM
Of course, WCU is leading the way as usual, and sitting back to see what everyone else is going to do and how they do it......

BEAR
September 5th, 2019, 03:39 PM
I don't get the whole issue with selling beer at a game. I mean if you tailgate or vulture tailgates...it's everywhere. So access can't be it. xlolx

JSUSoutherner
September 5th, 2019, 08:13 PM
JSU officially joins the club.

https://jsugamecocksports.com/news/2019/9/5/football-jsu-to-implement-alcohol-sales-inside-jsu-stadium.aspx?fbclid=IwAR2a8vd0juR3c4E3oHZltjapNgcQ CEGUt-ZLwqy4-XV0tbw7WrfWXL3i8lk

CenMEBlackBearFan
September 6th, 2019, 06:55 AM
JSU officially joins the club.

https://jsugamecocksports.com/news/2019/9/5/football-jsu-to-implement-alcohol-sales-inside-jsu-stadium.aspx?fbclid=IwAR2a8vd0juR3c4E3oHZltjapNgcQ CEGUt-ZLwqy4-XV0tbw7WrfWXL3i8lk

I know we ran out of beer last year at halftime against you guys , not sure if you guys were in the beer tent drowning your sorrows but nice to see you sell suds thru out the stadium. We contain beer sales to the endzone area. Enjoy your cold onesxdrunkyx

JSUSoutherner
September 6th, 2019, 04:40 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190906/9588811f5fc66dc97531f03183804fcf.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190906/530830570834b03b60890f38a34d9593.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S9+ using Tapatalk