St. Francis L 13-14

Villanova (1-0)
@Colgate W 34-14

All-time series record:
Villanova leads 10-5

Last time Villanova won: 31-9 @ Lehigh 9/8/18

Last time Lehigh won: 31-28 9/6/06

Game will be televised on FloSports

Opening Line: Villanova -24.5 (54.5 over/under)

ngineer
September 2nd, 2019, 08:20 PM
Opening line pretty close to mine as I picked VU 31-10 on PL thread, but this could be higher without surprise. Lehigh's D showed marked improvement in all phases from last year. Of course, one game and no one sure how good SFU is. Still, one sensed a significant 'attitude adjustment' on the D. Offense struggling with a banged up OL. If no holes, I don't care if we have Jim Brown in the backfield, the piggy won't move. OC needs to make some adjustments to take pressure off the QB. Team needs to show improvement against a superior opponent. Tough order. LU to have any shot needs some TO's and self-inflicted wounds by the Wildcats. Always look forward to this game...except the first quarter on a sunny evening looking into the setting sun from the visitors' stands!

Bill
September 2nd, 2019, 08:40 PM
Opening line pretty close to mine as I picked VU 31-10 on PL thread, but this could be higher without surprise. Lehigh's D showed marked improvement in all phases from last year. Of course, one game and no one sure how good SFU is. Still, one sensed a significant 'attitude adjustment' on the D. Offense struggling with a banged up OL. If no holes, I don't care if we have Jim Brown in the backfield, the piggy won't move. OC needs to make some adjustments to take pressure off the QB. Team needs to show improvement against a superior opponent. Tough order. LU to have any shot needs some TO's and self-inflicted wounds by the Wildcats. Always look forward to this game...except the first quarter on a sunny evening looking into the setting sun from the visitors' stands!

ngineer,
If we have Jim Brown in the backfield, I will definitely change my vote! xlolx

Gangtackle11
September 2nd, 2019, 09:26 PM
I’ve watched Nova teams in the past sleep walk in heavily favored games. Most recently the Pope game. Pope was in town. Game was moved to Thursday & the week before we lost John Robertson to a career ending knee injury. Penn came in not having won vs. Nova since 1911. Penn whooped our butts that night.

I also think Nova will get a lot of their freshman they plan to redshirt into this game at some point. They have 4 games & if Nova gets a large lead expect Nova to pull back on the reigns & give some freshmen some work.

I watched the 1st half of the Lehigh game. I don’t see how Lehigh will move the ball consistently against Nova. It will only be close if Nova plays sloppy & keeps Lehigh interested. That all said I’ll say 38-10 Nova with a 4th quarter of freshman playing for Nova.

Cats can clinch the Patriot with a win at Bucknell next game. xpeacex

Gangtackle11
September 3rd, 2019, 08:55 AM
From Melloware’s CAA Pick’em thread:

Lehigh (0-1) @ Villanova (1-0)
Series All-Time: NOVA 10-5
Series in Villanova: NOVA 4-1
Series in Bethlehem: NOVA 6-4
Streak: NOVA 7

First Meeting: @LEH 71, NOVA 0 (10/17/1903)
Last Meeting: NOVA 31, @LEH 9 (9/8/2018)
Last LEH Win: LEH 31, @NOVA 28 (9/9/2006)

Lehigh Last Game: L 14-13 v St. Francis
Villanova Last Game: W 34-14 @ Colgate

Lehigh v CAA: 49-72
Villanova v Patriot: 71-38-5

CHIP72
September 3rd, 2019, 11:51 AM
ngineer,
If we have Jim Brown in the backfield, I will definitely change my vote! xlolx

But preferably not the 83 year old version of Jim Brown, or the late R&B/soul performer or sportscaster for that matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ngineer
September 3rd, 2019, 12:14 PM
But preferably not the 83 year old version of Jim Brown, or the late R&B/soul performer or sportscaster for that matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk xlolx Greatest back of all time. I saw him run around, over, through and away from the "Iggles" back in 1962 at Franklin Field for about 200 yards. Amazing.

kdinva
September 3rd, 2019, 12:50 PM
I can't read the poll question........too dark..

wapiti
September 3rd, 2019, 05:35 PM
The poll does make sense.
There is no question and only answers are either yes or no.

Gangtackle11
September 3rd, 2019, 09:48 PM
The poll question is:

Does Villanova win by the 24.5 point spread?

Gangtackle11
September 4th, 2019, 08:16 AM
Lehigh Game Notes:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/lehighsports.com/documents/2019/9/3/Game_two_Lehigh_at_Villanova_090719.pdf

UNHWildcat18
September 4th, 2019, 10:10 AM
45-14 Nova

Gangtackle11
September 5th, 2019, 09:27 PM
Villanova Game Notes:

https://villanova.com/services/download_file.ashx?file_location=https://s3.amazonaws.com/villanova.com/documents/2019/9/5/G2_Lehigh.pdf

HensRock
September 5th, 2019, 09:39 PM
What's with Nova scheduling like a Patriot League wanna-be this year ?

Gangtackle11
September 5th, 2019, 10:28 PM

Who knew Colgate was going to fall off a Cliff? Go 5-3 in CAA (won’t be easy) & they go to the playoffs. The FCS selection committee game. xpeacex

vutomcat
September 6th, 2019, 08:36 AM

A little unusual for the Cats. Their last few years they have played BC, Syracuse and Temple early. Next year Wake Forest, and the following year they go to Happy Valley. Always wanted to visit Penn State. Hopefully they fare much better than Idaho. xeyebrowx

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 7th, 2019, 05:04 PM
Game about to begin. PL has shown some fight today. Lets see if Lehigh can put forth a strong effort against 'Nova...

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 7th, 2019, 05:22 PM
Lehigh holding their own so far. If nothing else, two of the cleanest looking uniforms on display.....

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 7th, 2019, 05:36 PM
Monaco looks sharp so far. Lehigh will have a 3rd an 9 from the 'Nova 15 to start 2Q....

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 7th, 2019, 05:39 PM
Lehigh 3 'Nova 0 14:50 2Q

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 7th, 2019, 05:44 PM
'Nova goes right down the field for a TD. Lehigh secondary once again beat over the top...ugh...

'Nova 7-3 12:12 2Q

RichH2
September 7th, 2019, 05:45 PM
Hell of a 1st quarter. Lehigh has yet to score a TD on offense. FGs are preferrable to zeroes for sure but our redzone O has to get better. D doing great so far but we cant rely on them to score all our TDs.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 7th, 2019, 05:54 PM
'Nova stops Lehigh on 4th down at the 'Nova 32. Lehigh OL overwhelmed.....

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 7th, 2019, 06:01 PM
'Nova tacks on a FG

10-3 5:03 2Q

van
September 7th, 2019, 06:02 PM
never gonna have a red zone O if RBs avg 1.x yds per carry

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 7th, 2019, 06:06 PM
'Nova with a pick 6. The wheels have fallen off....

Villanova 17-3 4:39 2Q

van
September 7th, 2019, 06:08 PM
never had wheels to fall off

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 7th, 2019, 06:11 PM
never had wheels to fall off

True...lol

Monaco has fallen apart. Short hopped a WR before the pick 6. Terrible throw to Allen on 3rd down. Allen would have gotten 15+ yards with an accurate throw....

RichH2
September 7th, 2019, 06:12 PM
never gonna have a red zone O if RBs avg 1.x yds per carry

Yup. Pass only. INTs a given.smh

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 7th, 2019, 06:19 PM
Villanova 17 Lehigh 3 Half

Lehigh played well in the first quarter but things fell apart in round 2. Monaco really struggled, even when he had guys open. 3rd and 2 at the 'Nova 31 and then an false start can't happen either.

RichH2
September 7th, 2019, 06:41 PM
A lot of woulda/ coulda plays for Lehigh O in that half. No run game at all. Monaco hits some misses some WRs drop a few.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 7th, 2019, 06:45 PM
TD Lehigh! Monaco to Portorreal from 42 yards!

'Nova 17-10 12:46 3Q

The head official definitely does big time games. He's either a Big 10/ACC ref or a former NFL guy....

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 7th, 2019, 06:47 PM
A lot of woulda/ coulda plays for Lehigh O in that half. No run game at all. Monaco hits some misses some WRs drop a few.

There's been plays to be made. 'Nova not dominating by any means. Lehigh just has to execute better. They're hanging in athletically. Look better than 'Gate did...

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 7th, 2019, 06:52 PM
'Nova back to the run and gashes Lehigh up front...

24-10 11:28 3Q

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 7th, 2019, 07:00 PM
Lehigh goes for a 4th and 1 at they're own 48 and the QB/RB exchange gets fumbled. Just can't do those things....

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 7th, 2019, 07:03 PM
TD 'Nova following the fumble on 4th down. TE wide open in the flat...

31-10 6:46 3Q

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 7th, 2019, 07:15 PM
Lehigh moves the ball to the 'Nova 15 but it stopped on downs. Made a lot of nice plays but couldn't get it done inside the redzone...

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 7th, 2019, 07:26 PM
After the change of possession 'Nova rips of a 60+ yard run then wins two 1 on 1 pass plays, one of a first down and the other for a TD. Now it's getting ugly...

'Nova 38-10 13:13 4Q

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 7th, 2019, 07:28 PM
Just for reference for next week....

UD Davis 38 San Diego 35 Final

RichH2
September 7th, 2019, 07:29 PM
Lehigh has a series of good plays...mistake. Repeat again.
Turning into a rout.

van
September 7th, 2019, 07:36 PM
hope TG has the phone # of a good OC

RichH2
September 7th, 2019, 07:44 PM
Well TG pulls the starters. Shoup et all on the field.
The L we expected.So many mistakes. Wow.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 7th, 2019, 07:45 PM
hope TG has the phone # of a good OC

The receivers are really good. They've gotten open and made plays all night when given the opportunity. Monaco was solid. I think he's better throwing on the run, moving around a bit. His pick was a long out which telegraphed from the pocket. Not completely sold on Allen at RB. His hands are shaky out of the backfield and his blitz pick ups tonight were equally dicey. 30 showed more speed and better vision.

You can see some potential tonight but the same mistakes and failure to execute in key moment continue.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 7th, 2019, 07:47 PM
Lehigh stopped on 4th and goal from the 1...microcosm of the night. They racked up a ton of yards and had little to show of it....

ngineer
September 7th, 2019, 10:12 PM
Well, I was there and I come away with mixed feelings. I knew an upset was unlikely, but I saw a lot of fight from a bunch of kids who were outsized up front. We gave away 50 lbs./man between our DL and VU's OL and it took its toll. Some big plays VU pulls off and some bad mistakes that cost us point and handed VU points. Shoup showed some great hand fakes and mobility in the fourth quarter. That pick 6 was a killer as it made a huge swing in momentum. We are moving the ball well and had we been able to score it would have been tied at 10 at the half instead of 17-3. We do come out in the third and march down and score. Some freshmen got some good game time tonight. A couple costly mistakes in the secondary. The pick six may have been a combination of the throw, but also the WR not going "to the ball with arms out" as opposed to letting the ball come to him. As a result the DB made a nice play and took it the other way. I am encouraged by the kicking game. Henning had some nice KO's, punts and would have had some more FGs had the game been closer but TG opted to go for the TDs, which I agree. We have to learn to score down there. I agree that we looked no worse than Colgate did against 'nova and am encouraged in terms of seeing the PL open for just about anyone this year, except Bucknell. Even the 'pards showed some life today against Monmouth, who usually gives PL teams trouble. Other than what looked like some cramping issues, I didn't detect any major injuries. One thing that bothered me was 'nova getting away with playing their sound system while our offense is calling signals. I thought that was prohibited? I expect the guys to realize they played a tough opponent, tough, and if they keep working they will begin seeing results come October.

Gangtackle11
September 7th, 2019, 10:59 PM
Just back from game. I thought Lehigh played Nova tough most of the 1st half. Nova was off offensively to me. Will be punished in the CAA if they play like they did tonight. Respect that Lehigh stayed with Nova most of game. Lehigh oddly ran the ball & clock most of 4th quarter instead of trying to get big chucks of yards. GL to Lehigh the rest of the way. xpeacex

Southsider
September 8th, 2019, 06:28 AM
`
Well, I was there and I come away with mixed feelings. I knew an upset was unlikely, but I saw a lot of fight from a bunch of kids who were outsized up front. We gave away 50 lbs./man between our DL and VU's OL and it took its toll. Some big plays VU pulls off and some bad mistakes that cost us point and handed VU points. Shoup showed some great hand fakes and mobility in the fourth quarter. That pick 6 was a killer as it made a huge swing in momentum. We are moving the ball well and had we been able to score it would have been tied at 10 at the half instead of 17-3. We do come out in the third and march down and score. Some freshmen got some good game time tonight. A couple costly mistakes in the secondary. The pick six may have been a combination of the throw, but also the WR not going "to the ball with arms out" as opposed to letting the ball come to him. As a result the DB made a nice play and took it the other way. I am encouraged by the kicking game. Henning had some nice KO's, punts and would have had some more FGs had the game been closer but TG opted to go for the TDs, which I agree. We have to learn to score down there. I agree that we looked no worse than Colgate did against 'nova and am encouraged in terms of seeing the PL open for just about anyone this year, except Bucknell. Even the 'pards showed some life today against Monmouth, who usually gives PL teams trouble. Other than what looked like some cramping issues, I didn't detect any major injuries. One thing that bothered me was 'nova getting away with playing their sound system while our offense is calling signals. I thought that was prohibited? I expect the guys to realize they played a tough opponent, tough, and if they keep working they will begin seeing results come October.

LU did this the entire game last week. I saw the PA guy at half and mentioned it to him. He too said it was very annoying. Ngineer sums things up pretty well. LU was crushed on both sides of the line. Nice to see a few different backs. TE is very encouraging. QB doing best he can. Overall team speed much improved. But, the CAA is a whole different level of play. Under current rules PL will never get there!