PDA

View Full Version : Southeastern Louisiana at Bethune-Cookman (CANCELED)

lionsrking2
September 2nd, 2019, 06:21 PM
https://lionsports.net/news/2019/9/2/football-slu-game-at-bethune-cookman-cancelled.aspx

caribbeanhen
September 2nd, 2019, 06:47 PM
The could of just evacuated to Hammond

ElCid
September 2nd, 2019, 06:51 PM
That sucks. Kind of a momentum killer.

lionsrking2
September 2nd, 2019, 06:53 PM
The could of just evacuated to Hammond

That's kinda what we thought but apparently they don't want to do that.

ElCid
September 2nd, 2019, 06:58 PM
That's kinda what we thought but apparently they don't want to do that.

Travel budget issue no doubt.

lionsrking2
September 2nd, 2019, 07:06 PM
Travel budget issue no doubt.

No, we offered to pay their expenses to come here.

WestCoastAggie
September 2nd, 2019, 07:46 PM
Travel back to Daytona Beach would’ve been horrible for the team most likely. Will SELA be compensated for the game?

lionsrking2
September 2nd, 2019, 07:55 PM
Travel back to Daytona Beach would’ve been horrible for the team most likely. Will SELA be compensated for the game?

Not sure what the contractual obligations are. Stetson has a game with Louisiana College, less than 20 miles away from Daytona. Let's see what they decide to do.

Professor Chaos
September 3rd, 2019, 06:02 PM
Any reason why the call on this was made so early? By the forecasts Dorian will be closer to Massachusetts than Florida by Saturday. I know the storm surge combined with the tide is going to be nasty but not sure how much damage that can cause at BCU's campus and the surrounding area so I was just curious. Obviously safety should be the priority over sports but it would be too bad if they cancelled this game prematurely when it could've been played.

JSUSoutherner
September 3rd, 2019, 06:32 PM
No, we offered to pay their expenses to come here.

They probably don't want to take the L.

Like Furman last year.

ElCid
September 3rd, 2019, 06:38 PM
Any reason why the call on this was made so early? By the forecasts Dorian will be closer to Massachusetts than Florida by Saturday. I know the storm surge combined with the tide is going to be nasty but not sure how much damage that can cause at BCU's campus and the surrounding area so I was just curious. Obviously safety should be the priority over sports but it would be too bad if they cancelled this game prematurely when it could've been played.

I think it had to do with the evacuations. If you send everyone away, it's hard to get everyone back quickly. Players probably will not be back until Thursday.

RootinFerDukes
September 3rd, 2019, 06:41 PM
Yeah this cancellation appears very premature. The storm will be long gone by Saturday.

lionsrking2
September 3rd, 2019, 10:23 PM
Yeah this cancellation appears very premature. The storm will be long gone by Saturday.

It is what it is. We offered to pay them to move the game to our place but they declined. Hard to second guess potential life/death or harm's way decisions, and they have to do what's in the best interests of their students. But with them playing in Atlanta last Sunday and riding the storm out there, I'm sure playing this weekend would have been an inconvenience, above and beyond whatever risks there might be related to the actual storm itself.

Humble Steward
September 6th, 2019, 02:17 PM
They probably don't want to take the L.

Like Furman last year.

Honestly, I thought the decision to cancel the game was a little premature myself, but cancelling the game not to take an L, was definitely not the reason. Also, playing at SE Louisiana on their home field was not an issue either, as we beat them there two years ago 28 - 23. This was a home and home series and this was the return game. I hope that this game can be played next year.

Humble Steward
September 6th, 2019, 02:19 PM
It is what it is. We offered to pay them to move the game to our place but they declined. Hard to second guess potential life/death or harm's way decisions, and they have to do what's in the best interests of their students. But with them playing in Atlanta last Sunday and riding the storm out there, I'm sure playing this weekend would have been an inconvenience, above and beyond whatever risks there might be related to the actual storm itself.

I hope that at some point in time we can reschedule this game at a later date. I like it when B-CU plays OOC teams like the caliber of SE Louisiana. Good luck with the remainder of your season.

McNeese75
September 6th, 2019, 03:26 PM
We're out 80k for a charter flight that the charter company won't refund or allow us to use for a later date. I would be shocked if it's ever rescheduled. All I know is Stetson is less than 20 miles a way and they're still playing.

Ya never know. It only took us 14 years to get the game with Southern resceduled.

major095
September 6th, 2019, 06:31 PM
Ya never know. It only took us 14 years to get the game with Southern resceduled.
What does your game with southern have to do with BCC?

caribbeanhen
September 6th, 2019, 07:27 PM

This.... something is not passing the smell test here.....

Humble Steward
September 6th, 2019, 07:58 PM
This.... something is not passing the smell test here.....

The team actually stayed in Atlanta and wasn’t allowed to come back until later in the week. Several schools and staff in Florida didn’t return back to work until Thursday. I don’t think B-CU was afraid to play a team they had already beaten on the road in 2017. This was the return game. I hope they are able to reschedule this game next year. Just wanted to clarify the thought process of canceling the game.

Panther88
September 6th, 2019, 08:37 PM
What does your game with southern have to do with BCC?

lol