PDA

View Full Version : East Tennessee State at Appalachian State

Mr. C
August 31st, 2019, 07:59 PM
Just covered the East Tennessee State game at Appalachian State and came away thinking there is a lot for the Buccaneers to build on despite a 42-7 loss that wasn't really indicative of how well ETSU played. Having covered ETSU's triple-overtime win over Western Carolina last season, I think this edition of the Bucs is much improved over the 2018 squad that won a share of the Southern Conference title and went to the playoffs for the first time in 22 years.

The Bucs made it difficult for a talented Mountaineer offense to move the ball down the field in the first half and trailed only 14-0 at the break. It could have been closer if not for a pair of really bad officiating calls that all FCS teams seem to get on the road at FBS venues. A bogus pass interference call, that should have been offensive pass interference if a flag was thrown at all, set up Appalachian's second TD midway through the second quarter and a phantom holding call on the ETSU offense late in the half cost the Bucs a chance to possibly make it 14-7 at the intermission. It was still only 21-7 until the final minute of the third period.

On offense, freshman QB Trey Mitchell came off the bench and was 11-of-15 at one point for 112 yards and a touchdown (he finished 12-of-19 for 117 yards) and Quay Holmes had a solid game rushing with 68 yards. The Bucs also did a nice job in limiting Appalachian's time of possession until late in the game. The defense put some good pressure on ASU QB Zac Thomas and kept the Mountaineers in a lot of third-down situations.

Appalachian players and coach Eliah Drinkwitz complimented ETSU on how well prepared it was and how well-coached and how hard the Bucs performed. This is a team I fully expect to compete for another SoCon title.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 8th, 2019, 08:40 AM
thanks, I did not notice your post until today.