PDA

View Full Version : MVFC vs. BSC matchups (10 games)

VandalBasher
August 25th, 2019, 03:32 PM
Missouri State (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2623/missouri-state-bears) @ Northern Arizona (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2464/northern-arizona-lumberjacks)
Montana (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/149/montana-grizzlies) @ South Dakota (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/233/south-dakota-coyotes)
Southern Utah (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/253/southern-utah-thunderbirds) @ Northern Iowa (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2460/northern-iowa-panthers)
Montana State (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/147/montana-state-bobcats) @ Western Illinois (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2710/western-illinois-leathernecks)
UC Davis (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/302/uc-davis-aggies) @ North Dakota State (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2449/north-dakota-state-bison)
South Dakota (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/233/south-dakota-coyotes) @ Northern Colorado (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2458/northern-colorado-bears)
Idaho State (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/304/idaho-state-bengals) @ Northern Iowa (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2460/northern-iowa-panthers)
Southern Utah (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/253/southern-utah-thunderbirds) @ South Dakota State (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2571/south-dakota-state-jackrabbits)
Northern Arizona (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2464/northern-arizona-lumberjacks) @ Illinois State (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2287/illinois-state-redbirds)
Northern Iowa (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2460/northern-iowa-panthers) @ Weber State (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2692/weber-state-wildcats)

How good are these match ups?

Our 2018 playoff reps from UC Davis, Weber and MSU will be contributing. But, both Southern Utah and Northern Arizona have two games each.

UNI has three of these games.

SUPharmacist
August 25th, 2019, 04:38 PM
The last game is a repeat of Idaho State at UNI, is one of those two teams supposed to be someone different?

I am looking forward to the UC Davis NDSU Game hopefully it will be a good one.

clenz
August 25th, 2019, 05:06 PM
UNI has 3 Big Sky games this year. Not r

@ Weber
Idaho State
Southern Utah

Going worse than 2-1 is unacceptable for UNI

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

VandalBasher
August 25th, 2019, 05:21 PM
Updated with correct info.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 25th, 2019, 06:07 PM
The last game is a repeat of Idaho State at UNI, is one of those two teams supposed to be someone different?

I am looking forward to the UC Davis NDSU Game hopefully it will be a good one.

Davis needs to be better on defense to stop the Bison. If they bring a defense like they had last year, NDSU will run them out of the dome.

Schism55
August 26th, 2019, 11:19 AM
UNI has 3 Big Sky games this year. Not r

@ Weber
Idaho State
Southern Utah

Going worse than 2-1 is unacceptable for UNI

Did the MVFC and Big Sky swap UND and UNI?! xeyebrowx

clenz
August 26th, 2019, 11:37 AM
Did the MVFC and Big Sky swap UND and UNI?! xeyebrowx
Our AD - and previous AD - decided they would rather play nothing except Big Sky teams and do so on the road rather than doing what every other MVFC team does and playing at home. Every OOC game UNI has played - sans FBS games - since 2015

v Weber
@ Idaho State

@ Weber
v Southern Utah
v Idaho State

@ Montana
v Hampton - a replacement game for the Southern Utah game that was moved to this year

v Cal Poly
@ Southern Utah

vs Montana
@ Eastern Washington

@ Cal Poly
v Eastern Washington

dbackjon
August 26th, 2019, 12:18 PM
So he scheduled home and home series with a peer FCS conference - are you expecting to play zero OOC road games?

Unless you are willing to buy games, you will be on the road for at least one game a season.

Not sure your complaint.

clenz
August 26th, 2019, 12:44 PM
So he scheduled home and home series with a peer FCS conference - are you expecting to play zero OOC road games?

Unless you are willing to buy games, you will be on the road for at least one game a season.

Not sure your complaint.
Play some ****ing home games that aren't tied to H/H with middle of nowhere Utah and Idaho (hurr durr middl of nowhere Iowa comment)

Stop being weak and start acting like a big FCS program. Bring in Drake, bring in Duquense, bring in schools like every other major MVFC program does.

Hell, SDSU signed a 2-1 with Drake - which I'd take at UNI - and then flexed and bout the return game out and are playing it in Brookings.

It'd be nice to have a UNI AD with some chutzpah for once.

The major difference between SDSU and UNI the last few years in the polls, and playoff positioning is OOC record. SDSU goes 3-0 in OOC and then goes 6-2 in MVFC play and gets at a seed at 9-2

UNI plays an FBS and at least one extra top 15-20 team on top of the Valley schedule. Go 1-2 OOC and then 6-2 in conference play and UNI is 7-4 and playing thanksgiving weekend (even when they beat SDSU and finish higher in the conference). On top of that the health difference between the OOCs. SDSU can rest guys OOC and head into conference play healthy and confidence. UNI comes out of OOC play more banged up and already back against the wall.

Stop scheduling like a freaking moron. No need to "prove" yourself OOC. You have the conference for that.

Compare UNI's OOC to NDSU, SDSU, ISUr or hell even SIU.

dbackjon
August 26th, 2019, 01:30 PM
Sounds like a money issue - SDSU has the extra funds to schedule favorably. UNI doesn't.

UNI needs the money game (like NAU). SDSU doesn't.

clenz
August 26th, 2019, 01:35 PM
Sounds like a money issue - SDSU has the extra funds to schedule favorably. UNI doesn't.

UNI needs the money game (like NAU). SDSU doesn't.
It's not a money thing. It will cost more to fly to Idaho for 3 days than to bring Drake or Duquense thing.

the money isn't an issue.

uni88
August 26th, 2019, 01:46 PM
It's not a money thing. It will cost more to fly to Idaho for 3 days than to bring Drake or Duquense thing.

the money isn't an issue.

Correct, money isn't the issue and the money game isn't the issue.

The MVFC is tough enough and with the FBS game there is no reason to schedule Weber State, Idaho State or SUU every year. If we're going to keep doing it, I would like a H/H with Portland State (or Idaho or another with EWU).

Play Drake, Duquense , etc. at the Dome every year to get a win, keep players fresh and healthy, get young players game experience and build excitement for the season. Greater excitement = more tickets sold = more revenue to pay Drake, Duquense, etc.

Redbird 4th & short
August 26th, 2019, 01:49 PM
Play some ****ing home games that aren't tied to H/H with middle of nowhere Utah and Idaho (hurr durr middl of nowhere Iowa comment)

Stop being weak and start acting like a big FCS program. Bring in Drake, bring in Duquense, bring in schools like every other major MVFC program does.

Hell, SDSU signed a 2-1 with Drake - which I'd take at UNI - and then flexed and bout the return game out and are playing it in Brookings.

It'd be nice to have a UNI AD with some chutzpah for once.

The major difference between SDSU and UNI the last few years in the polls, and playoff positioning is OOC record. SDSU goes 3-0 in OOC and then goes 6-2 in MVFC play and gets at a seed at 9-2

UNI plays an FBS and at least one extra top 15-20 team on top of the Valley schedule. Go 1-2 OOC and then 6-2 in conference play and UNI is 7-4 and playing thanksgiving weekend (even when they beat SDSU and finish higher in the conference). On top of that the health difference between the OOCs. SDSU can rest guys OOC and head into conference play healthy and confidence. UNI comes out of OOC play more banged up and already back against the wall.

Stop scheduling like a freaking moron. No need to "prove" yourself OOC. You have the conference for that.

Compare UNI's OOC to NDSU, SDSU, ISUr or hell even SIU.
agree wth clenz .. most years, UNI and WIU play the toughes OOC schedules .. or at least the most legit OOC games. And wind up top 3 or 5 in all of FCS games SOS.

Note, it's not just that MVFC is toughest conference either. It's also the fact that we only have 10 teams, so you play everyone but 1 team. Unlike Colonial (12 teams) and Big Sky (14 teams) .. especially top hevay conference like Big Sky has become. I've already documented this in other threads.

Colonial had 9 games not played head to head among their 6 playoff teams .. instead those 9 games were played against lower tier Colonial teams. If they had played just 6 of those 9 head to hread games, those 6 teams woudl have had 6 more losses. Maine doesn't have to play 3 of the other top 5 Colonial teams in 2018 and 2019. So the other 5 playoff teams made up the other 6 head to head games not played in 2018. It all repeats in 2019, and those 6 are probably the favorites for most part.

Big Sky was not nearly as impactful in 2018 because of way schedule fell and they were much more top heavy. But as an example, this is why UND finished 6-5 .. they didn't play 3 of the top 4 Big Sky teams and still wound up 4-4 in conference.

I would love to not have to play 2 of the top 4/5 MVFC teams each year .. suddenly those three years at 6-5 are at least 7-4 or possibly 8-3.

F'N Hawks
August 26th, 2019, 01:58 PM
agree wth clenz .. most years, UNI and WIU play the toughes OOC schedules .. or at least the most legit OOC games. And wind up top 3 or 5 in all of FCS games SOS.

Note, it's not just that MVFC is toughest conference either. It's also the fact that we only have 10 teams, so you play everyone but 1 team. Unlike Colonial (12 teams) and Big Sky (14 teams) .. especially top hevay conference like Big Sky has become. I've already documented this in other threads.

Colonial had 9 games not played head to head among their 6 playoff teams .. instead those 9 games were played against lower tier Colonial teams. If they had played just 6 of those 9 head to hread games, those 6 teams woudl have had 6 more losses. Maine doesn't have to play 3 of the other top 5 Colonial teams in 2018 and 2019. So the other 5 playoff teams made up the other 6 head to head games not played in 2018. It all repeats in 2019, and those 6 are probably the favorites for most part.

Big Sky was not nearly as impactful in 2018 because of way schedule fell and they were much more top heavy. But as an example, this is why UND finished 6-5 .. they didn't play 3 of the top 4 Big Sky teams and still wound up 4-4 in conference.

I would love to not have to play 2 of the top 4/5 MVFC teams each year .. suddenly those three years at 6-5 are at least 7-4 or possibly 8-3.

xpopcornx Never heard any of that before, interesting. Would this be venturing into Vandy/SEC territory where a 6th place team is bragging about their conference?

IBleedYellow
August 26th, 2019, 02:26 PM
xpopcornx Never heard any of that before, interesting. Would this be venturing into Vandy/SEC territory where a 6th place team is bragging about their conference?

It's possible.

ST_Lawson
August 26th, 2019, 03:15 PM

With UND joining the conference, you may get your wish. Looks like every team gets to miss two MVFC teams starting next year. I assume it's still on a 2-year rotation, like it is now. I don't know who all "misses" everyone else, but I do know that WIU gets to skip NDSU for 2020/21 and ILSU skips SDSU. SIU is the other lucky team to not have to play the Bison for two years.

Yote 53
August 26th, 2019, 03:36 PM
USD schedules like UNI does, plays an FBS & Big Sky OOC every year, the difference is we usually buy a game like Drake, or this year Houston Baptist. Still, we always play a big boy schedule with OOC games this year against @Oklahoma, Montana, @No Colorado, Houston Baptist to go along with the MVFC schedule where we ALWAYS have to face NDSU, SDSU, UNI due to geographic scheduling. But this year it works out we miss ISUr, so that's nice.

uni88
August 26th, 2019, 04:39 PM

Not really.
1) ISUr is already in the MVFC, not bragging about how tough it is before they're even played a game in the conference.
2) ISUr has made the playoffs 6 times in the last 10 years, won 8 playoff games and played in 1 Natty while UND is 0-1 in their single appearance.

UND = Vandy
ISUr = Georgia or similar (underachieving but still considerably more accomplished than UND)

caribbeanhen
August 26th, 2019, 04:59 PM
Gotta love the Northern Iowa schedule if you’re a fan of FCS football

The heck with Drake

F'N Hawks
August 26th, 2019, 06:09 PM
Not really.
1) ISUr is already in the MVFC, not bragging about how tough it is before they're even played a game in the conference.
2) ISUr has made the playoffs 6 times in the last 10 years, won 8 playoff games and played in 1 Natty while UND is 0-1 in their single appearance.

UND = Vandy
ISUr = Georgia or similar (underachieving but still considerably more accomplished than UND)

I'll keep going with this bit I guess. Wow

cx500d
August 26th, 2019, 06:18 PM
Gotta love the Northern Iowa schedule if you’re a fan of FCS football

The heck with Drake

Love the Drake

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Redbird 4th & short
August 26th, 2019, 06:20 PM
With UND joining the conference, you may get your wish. Looks like every team gets to miss two MVFC teams starting next year. I assume it's still on a 2-year rotation, like it is now. I don't know who all "misses" everyone else, but I do know that WIU gets to skip NDSU for 2020/21 and ILSU skips SDSU. SIU is the other lucky team to not have to play the Bison for two years.
true, and I don't like conference expansion for tha very reason .. though UND make regional/logistical sense with the additiion of the other 3 dakotas.

But the % probabilities of missed head-to-head game counts will still be far less in MVFC than if we had 12 teams like Colonial .. that's potentially twice as many missed games (4 vs 2 for each team). Big Sky will be 3 times as many games with 6 missed games vs 2 for each team. From there, it is how the schedule falls and which teams finish in top tier each year. It's also a question of how strong your conference's middle tier teams are ... debatable of course.

TheKingpin28
August 26th, 2019, 06:30 PM
Love the Drake

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hate the Drake

VandalBasher
August 26th, 2019, 07:55 PM
There is no doubt the Big Sky needs to be broken up. Or, the NCAA needs to allow for a championship game at the FCS level.

Good discussion, fellas.

clenz
August 26th, 2019, 08:38 PM
They do

Redbird 4th & short
August 27th, 2019, 08:43 AM
You seriously want to compare ISUr to UND ??? Yes, we finished 6th place in 2018 and then 2013, but every other year we've been in top 4 in the best conference in MVFC. Not to mention, I've done the comparisons of MVFC excl NDSU to Big Sky excl EWU ... it is not even close. In case you weren't following that thread .. exclusing each conferences top team (NDSU and EWU) and all head-to-head conference playoff games, in playoff from 2010-18, MVFC has .630 win % and Big Sky has a .360 win %.

As for 2018, we both finished 6th in our respective conferences ... except you didnt play 3 of the top 4 teams in your conference .. and still could do no better than tied for 6th. The only MVFC team we didn't have to play finished 7h place.

Now let's compare ISUr in playoffs to UND in playoffs .. shall we ??? ISUr is 5-4 during this time. Fire up the old google machine, and let us all know what UND playoff record is during this same timeframe ??

I'll even give you a hint, you lost your only playoff game at home to Richmond team w/o their stud QB ... now do that math and let us all know. Same Richmond who next lost 38-0 to EWU.

So no, ISUr is not the Vanderbilt of MVFC.

F'N Hawks
August 27th, 2019, 09:29 AM
You seriously want to compare ISUr to UND ??? Yes, we finished 6th place in 2018 and then 2013, but every other year we've been in top 4 in the best conference in MVFC. Not to mention, I've done the comparisons of MVFC excl NDSU to Big Sky excl EWU ... it is not even close. In case you weren't following that thread .. exclusing each conferences top team (NDSU and EWU) and all head-to-head conference playoff games, in playoff from 2010-18, MVFC has .630 win % and Big Sky has a .360 win %.

As for 2018, we both finished 6th in our respective conferences ... except you didnt play 3 of the top 4 teams in your conference .. and still could do no better than tied for 6th. The only MVFC team we didn't have to play finished 7h place.

Now let's compare ISUr in playoffs to UND in playoffs .. shall we ??? ISUr is 5-4 during this time. Fire up the old google machine, and let us all know what UND playoff record is during this same timeframe ??

I'll even give you a hint, you lost your only playoff game at home to Richmond team w/o their stud QB ... now do that math and let us all know. Same Richmond who next lost 38-0 to EWU.

So no, ISUr is not the Vanderbilt of MVFC.

When and where did I compare ISU to UND? Stay focused.

The fact is you're bragging incessantly about THE VALLEY and your squad hasn't pissed a drop in 3 years. When your team sucks = brag about how tough your conference is.

Redbird 4th & short
August 27th, 2019, 10:31 AM
When and where did I compare ISU to UND? Stay focused.

The fact is you're bragging incessantly about THE VALLEY and your squad hasn't pissed a drop in 3 years. When your team sucks = brag about how tough your conference is.
I fully realize you don't give much thought to your impulsive posts when you respond, but that is your problem not mine. When you take what was said about your boasting of your program (i.e. becoming the Vanderbilt of MVFC) and try to flip that on another program (i.e. my ISUr) whose track record is far better than yours and Vanderbilts ... meaning, not only does it not apply, but even more ironic in that it is coming from a UND troll/fan.

And again, the irony of a UND fan saying this to an ISUr fan may be lost on you .. I don't care if it is. But quite simply, it doesn't change the fact that it sounds really stupid coming from you.

p.s. to say nothing of the facts surrounding this .. good luck in MVFC dude.

F'N Hawks
August 27th, 2019, 10:37 AM
I fully realize you don't give much thought to your impulsive posts when you respond, but that is your problem not mine. When you take what was said about your program (i.e. becoming the Vanderbilt of MVFC) and try to flip that on another program (i.e. my ISUr) whose track record is far better than yours and Vanderbilts ... meaning, not only does it not apply, but even more ironic in that it is coming from UND troll/fan.

And again, the irony of a UND fan saying this to an ISUr fan may be lost on you .. I don't care if it is. But quite simply, it doesn't change the fact that it sounds really stupid coming from you.

Are you OK? you VALLEY guys have issues on this board.

First off, UND isn't even in the MVFC so why would I 'honestly' brag about the conference - I don't give a bag of ****s about the THE VALLEY. You guys never seemed to catch on to that and basically trolled yourself for 2 weeks. Go back and ready my posts. Geez.

Redbird 4th & short
August 27th, 2019, 10:38 AM
I fully realize you don't give much thought to your impulsive posts when you respond, but that is your problem not mine. When you take what was said about your boasting of your program (i.e. becoming the Vanderbilt of MVFC) and try to flip that on another program (i.e. my ISUr) whose track record is far better than yours and Vanderbilts ... meaning, not only does it not apply, but even more ironic in that it is coming from a UND troll/fan.

p.s. to say nothing of the facts surrounding this .. good luck in MVFC dude.

and the answer to my question is .... 0-1 .. UND is 0-1 in playoffs over same period that ISUr is 5-4

clenz
August 27th, 2019, 11:00 AM
Are you OK? you VALLEY guys have issues on this board.

First off, UND isn't even in the MVFC so why would I 'honestly' brag about the conference - I don't give a bag of ****s about the THE VALLEY. You guys never seemed to catch on to that and basically trolled yourself for 2 weeks. Go back and ready my posts. Geez.You're right.

You aren't in the Valley yet

You also aren't in the Big Sky anymore

Why the **** you here?

F'N Hawks
August 27th, 2019, 11:16 AM
You're right.

You aren't in the Valley yet

You also aren't in the Big Sky anymore

Why the **** you here?

To get a jump on bragging about THE VALLEY cause we are inevitably going to get crushed every week, especially by perennial blue-blood powerhouses like UNI with their rich history of championship football.

"We went 2-6 because we have to play everyone, unlike the Big Sky and CAA. If we were in the Big Sky we would've gone 6-2". Copy / paste.

Redbird 4th & short
August 27th, 2019, 01:07 PM
To get a jump on bragging about THE VALLEY cause we are inevitably going to get crushed every week, especially by perennial blue-blood powerhouses like UNI with their rich history of championship football.

"We went 2-6 because we have to play everyone, unlike the Big Sky and CAA. If we were in the Big Sky we would've gone 6-2". Copy / paste.
I never said that to such an extreme, but that is the general idea .. you get an A for comprehension, but an F for making sh-t up.

If sticking to facts is of any importance to you without responding with hyperbole and fiction when facts become unbearable ... I did point out case where our 0-8 team beat your 5-3 team and competed with your 6-2 team, or when our 1-7 team beat your 3-5 UND team 38-0. I also fully acknowledged that Big Sky has really stepped it up the last 2 years.

But again, let's not get all tripped over facts .. very inconvenient sometimes.