PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings - Preseason

wapiti
August 16th, 2019, 03:04 PM
Normally Jalmond starts this thread. (and I hope he will again this season.)

No week zero games for the Big Sky this year.
Here is my Big Sky rankings.

Tier 1

1. EWU Won the Big Sky last year and gave NDSU its best game in the playoffs last year in the NC.

2. UC Davis Nearly beat EWU in Cheney last year in the playoffs. They did lose their stud WR, but they have plenty returning, including the QB.

3. Weber Has steadily built itself up over the past few years and has become a good team. I am under the impression they may have lost some talent from last year's squad, but they will start here in the 3 spot

4. Montana State Under Choate MSU has built itself into a good team. They now have a QB that is suppose to be a QB and Andersen is in his spot at LB.

5. UM Is just a quarter step behind MSU. Unlike last year, UM has a tougher schedule this year. If UM can get a few W's from their tough games they should be dancing.

Tier 2: This tier harder to rank

6. CP The stud rb/fb is gone, but the triple option has been known to give opposing teams fits. As long as CP minimizes turnovers they could break into Tier 1.

7. Idaho State Quietly finished at 5-3 last year in the tough Big Sky and 6-5 overall with a new coach. Now that the coach is a year in the Bengals have a chance to improve.

8. NAU With Cookus at QB NAU could have a chance in any game. I unsure of the rest of the team. Plus a new coach.

Tier 3:

9. Idaho No preseason hype for Idaho this year

10. SUU Seems to be an every other year team. If that pattern holds this upcoming season should be a good one the T-Birds.

11. PSU - Barney ball had one really good year and then has been flat. Can PSU make a rebound?

12. Sac I don't know much about Sac state this year.

13. NC I don't know much about NC this year either.

JALMOND
August 16th, 2019, 03:40 PM
Geez, I'm still on summer vacation. xlolx

Actually, I have some idea of where the teams are , but I figure I still have about a week or so. Like you said, no week zero games.

dbackjon
August 16th, 2019, 04:25 PM
Lumberjacks will be in the top half, sniffing playoffs.

JALMOND
August 25th, 2019, 11:49 PM
Give us all a bump on this tonight...

Another season in the Big Sky is set to start and just like most of them, there are questions surrounding every team in the conference. Depending on how soon those questions are answered will ultimately dictate the success for each school. Two (or possibly three) teams come in thinking they are the favorites but there are quite a few darkhorses lurking behind them eager to move to the top. Both EWU and Davis look tough, with their strong quarterbacks, and Weber's defense looks impressive. Cookus returns for NAU, but a new coaching staff and new targets to throw to makes this season interesting. Montana State and Idaho State are just a good quarterback away from being really good. The Montana faithful are hoping to return to glory this year, while Portland State and Idaho are both hoping to return to respectability. Cal Poly has a bunch of returnees on defense and Southern Utah also is hoping for a good year. And, Sacramento State and Northern Colorado could emerge from their own questions and come out decently. Here are the opening power rankings in the Big Sky. All are my opinion only. All are up for discussion. Good luck to all the teams.

1. Eastern Washington Eagles---This week, at Washington (FBS Pac-12)---Last year's injury to Gubrud opened the door for Barriere to come through. Now with Gubrid out, it is clearly his team. The Eagles are strong on both sides of the ball and even with a light schedule, should still be considered the best in the conference.

2. UC-Davis Aggies---This week, at California (FBS, Pac-12)---Last year, Maier showed to be an elite quarterback in the conference. Even with their number one target now playing on Sundays, the Aggies should stay in their new home atop the conference standings.

3. Weber State Wildcats---This week, at San Diego State (FBS, Mtn West)---Even with a strong receiver and a good quarterback coming back, the calling card for the Wildcats has been defense for a number of years. If they get a little more firepower from the offense, watch out.

4. Northern Arizona Lumberjacks---The week, Missouri State (Mo Valley) at home---The key here for the Lumberjacks has been for Cookus to stay healthy, something that has been difficult to do. Now with a new coach and some new receivers, they may have to rely on the defense early on.

5. Montana Grizzlies---This week, at South Dakota (Mo Valley)---Last year was a bit of a rebuild as far as the Grizzlies are concerned, and now there is some thought this is the year to return to dominance. Some good returnees on both sides of the ball may make the job a little easier.

6. Montana State Bobcats---This week at Texas Tech (FBS Big 12)---Many good returnees for the Bobcats this year, but some question marks at the quarterback position. Once they get those answered, another trip to the playoffs should not be out of the question.

7. Idaho State Bengals---This week, Western Colorado (DII) at home---The Bengals may have lost their strong signal-caller from last year, but they return pretty much everyone else. How quickly they can settle on a new quarterback will determine how fast they can rise up.

8. Portland State Vikings---This week, at Arkansas (FBS, SEC)---This is the year that coach Barnum has pointed to during his tenure as being "the" year. No excuses now, they have all come up in his program and now they must contribute. Many returnees along with a strong receiver makes this team interesting.

9. Idaho Vandals---This week, at Penn State (FBS, Big 10)---Last year, the Vandals got a taste of reality in their Big Sky return as they had some good FBS recruits, yet could not seem to get it together on the field. One year in, they hope to come together this year and make their mark.

10. Southern Utah Thunderbirds---This week, at UNLV (FBS, Mtn West)---The Thunderbirds enter this season with many questions after a bad year last year. Still, they seem to run hot and cold, following up a bad year with a good year the next. If they can get some concrete answers right away, watch them rise.

11. Cal Poly Mustangs---This week, San Diego (Pioneer) at home---The Mustangs need to find some players on offense and, while they have some good returns on defense, the defense last year was not great. If the defense can keep them close until the new offensive players gain confidence, they could move up.

12. Sacramento State Hornets---This week, Southern Oregon (NAIA) at home---New coach, new scheme, new players. How quickly they can all come together will tell how good this season will be for the Hornets. They could strike early and come out decent, or...

13. Northern Colorado Bears---This week, at San Jose State (FBS, Mtn West)---Not much is being expected or anticipated with the Bears this year. They did get an extra year for their quarterback and do have some good players back but many questions still surround this team.

RECAP: 1-3 out the gate, 4-7 keeping up, 8-9 holding on, 10-12 just off the pace, 13 behind.

wapiti
August 26th, 2019, 09:50 AM
Give us all a bump on this tonight...

Another season in the Big Sky is set to start and just like most of them, there are questions surrounding every team in the conference. Depending on how soon those questions are answered will ultimately dictate the success for each school. Two (or possibly three) teams come in thinking they are the favorites but there are quite a few darkhorses lurking behind them eager to move to the top. Both EWU and Davis look tough, with their strong quarterbacks, and Weber's defense looks impressive. Cookus returns for NAU, but a new coaching staff and new targets to throw to makes this season interesting. Montana State and Idaho State are just a good quarterback away from being really good. The Montana faithful are hoping to return to glory this year, while Portland State and Idaho are both hoping to return to respectability. Cal Poly has a bunch of returnees on defense and Southern Utah also is hoping for a good year. And, Sacramento State and Northern Colorado could emerge from their own questions and come out decently. Here are the opening power rankings in the Big Sky. All are my opinion only. All are up for discussion. Good luck to all the teams.

1. Eastern Washington Eagles---This week, at Washington (FBS Pac-12)---Last year's injury to Gubrud opened the door for Barriere to come through. Now with Gubrid out, it is clearly his team. The Eagles are strong on both sides of the ball and even with a light schedule, should still be considered the best in the conference.

2. UC-Davis Aggies---This week, at California (FBS, Pac-12)---Last year, Maier showed to be an elite quarterback in the conference. Even with their number one target now playing on Sundays, the Aggies should stay in their new home atop the conference standings.

3. Weber State Wildcats---This week, at San Diego State (FBS, Mtn West)---Even with a strong receiver and a good quarterback coming back, the calling card for the Wildcats has been defense for a number of years. If they get a little more firepower from the offense, watch out.

4. Northern Arizona Lumberjacks---The week, Missouri State (Mo Valley) at home---The key here for the Lumberjacks has been for Cookus to stay healthy, something that has been difficult to do. Now with a new coach and some new receivers, they may have to rely on the defense early on.

5. Montana Grizzlies---This week, at South Dakota (Mo Valley)---Last year was a bit of a rebuild as far as the Grizzlies are concerned, and now there is some thought this is the year to return to dominance. Some good returnees on both sides of the ball may make the job a little easier.

6. Montana State Bobcats---This week at Texas Tech (FBS Big 12)---Many good returnees for the Bobcats this year, but some question marks at the quarterback position. Once they get those answered, another trip to the playoffs should not be out of the question.

7. Idaho State Bengals---This week, Western Colorado (DII) at home---The Bengals may have lost their strong signal-caller from last year, but they return pretty much everyone else. How quickly they can settle on a new quarterback will determine how fast they can rise up.

8. Portland State Vikings---This week, at Arkansas (FBS, SEC)---This is the year that coach Barnum has pointed to during his tenure as being "the" year. No excuses now, they have all come up in his program and now they must contribute. Many returnees along with a strong receiver makes this team interesting.

9. Idaho Vandals---This week, at Penn State (FBS, Big 10)---Last year, the Vandals got a taste of reality in their Big Sky return as they had some good FBS recruits, yet could not seem to get it together on the field. One year in, they hope to come together this year and make their mark.

10. Southern Utah Thunderbirds---This week, at UNLV (FBS, Mtn West)---The Thunderbirds enter this season with many questions after a bad year last year. Still, they seem to run hot and cold, following up a bad year with a good year the next. If they can get some concrete answers right away, watch them rise.

11. Cal Poly Mustangs---This week, San Diego (Pioneer) at home---The Mustangs need to find some players on offense and, while they have some good returns on defense, the defense last year was not great. If the defense can keep them close until the new offensive players gain confidence, they could move up.

12. Sacramento State Hornets---This week, Southern Oregon (NAIA) at home---New coach, new scheme, new players. How quickly they can all come together will tell how good this season will be for the Hornets. They could strike early and come out decent, or...

13. Northern Colorado Bears---This week, at San Jose State (FBS, Mtn West)---Not much is being expected or anticipated with the Bears this year. They did get an extra year for their quarterback and do have some good players back but many questions still surround this team.

RECAP: 1-3 out the gate, 4-7 keeping up, 8-9 holding on, 10-12 just off the pace, 13 behind.

I have no qualms with your rankings. It's preseason, it's a crap shoot until we get a few weeks in. And then it still can be a bit of a guessing game.

I like that the middle portions of our rankings are different. The top 3 and bottom 2 are in agreement, but the rest is spaghetti.

Herder
August 26th, 2019, 10:03 AM
Why is Idaho so terrible? Now in the lowest Tier of the Big Sky? Did the move to FCS wipe them out, or were they never really very good?

wapiti
August 26th, 2019, 10:09 AM
Why is Idaho so terrible? Now in the lowest Tier of the Big Sky? Did the move to FCS wipe them out, or were they never really very good?

I think Idaho had the talent last year to perform better than they did, but the coaching did not. Did the coaches self reflect on what they did poorly last year and make adjustments or will they be like a politician and keep doing the same thing while claiming change.

F'N Hawks
August 26th, 2019, 10:22 AM
I think Idaho had the talent last year to perform better than they did, but the coaching did not. Did the coaches self reflect on what they did poorly last year and make adjustments or will they be like a politician and keep doing the same thing while claiming change.

I lost a ton of what minor respect I had left for the Sun Belt after watching Idaho last year. They had a handful of good players but that was about it. Didn't look the part either.