PDA

View Full Version : david ball signs

bodoyle
April 30th, 2007, 08:54 AM
with my Bears. First there is the wanna-be ap and now him. Oh brother!xnonono2x

atleast if he proves me wrong, it will help my Bears.

smallcollegefbfan
April 30th, 2007, 08:57 AM
that was posted in the free agent signing section already...i think ralph wants us to keep it all in one post instead of posting several different ones.

bodoyle
April 30th, 2007, 09:02 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/363774,CST-SPT-bear30.article

Understood SCFBF. I just figured I would post here since everyone thinks I hate him when, in reality, I think he is just overrated.

smallcollegefbfan
April 30th, 2007, 09:04 AM

Understood SCFBF. I just figured I would post here since everyone thinks I hate him when, in reality, I think he is just overrated.

His knee is why he didn't get drafted. Plain and simple. I think he was prepared for this. He knew he would drop heavily. Doubt he thought he wouldn't at least be a mid 6th or later selection.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 30th, 2007, 09:10 AM

Just curious, how many times did you see David Ball play in person? How many times on TV?

bodoyle
April 30th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Just curious, how many times did you see David Ball play in person? How many times on TV?

In person? 0 unfortunately. I would love to see a game at your guys place. On tv, I think 4 times over the past 2 seasons.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying he is bad, I just think he is overrated. He had one great season, other then that he has only been slightly above average.

smallcollegefbfan
April 30th, 2007, 09:28 AM
In person? 0 unfortunately. I would love to see a game at your guys place. On tv, I think 4 times over the past 2 seasons.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying he is bad, I just think he is overrated. He had one great season, other then that he has only been slightly above average.

He had a good year this past season finishing as an All-American and was an All-American in '06 with 1,551 yards and 24 TDs. In '04 he has 1,504 yards and 17 TDs as an All-American. He had 3 GREAT years! xthumbsupx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 30th, 2007, 09:49 AM

JMHO, but that's not many viewings to form such a definitive opinion.

He played as a true freshman which was quite a feat for a walk-on. He had incredible numbers his sophomore and junior years. Yes, his senior numbers were not as good as the other two years, but they weren't that shabby. And he never was 100% this past year.

Ball, who has been slowed some by tendinitis in the past year, ran a 4.66 as he prepared for the draft.

"Obviously, the NFL puts an awful lot of stock in pure speed," McDonnell said. "Unfortunately for David, not being healthy this whole year really hurt his chances as far as getting drafted. I'm sure he's going to get a free agent contract and the team that gets him is going to be really, really pleased with the type of football player they have on their hands. There are a lot of things you can't measure with a clock and can't measure with a tape and, boy oh boy, the kid can play. He's a football player."

Manchester Union Leader Article on Graham and Ball (http://www.theunionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=UNH%27s+Graham+drafted%2c+Ba ll+isn%27t&articleId=ec6d45cd-66e9-4b40-9099-83cc23be9562)

As a college player, I don't think he was overrated one iota. Only time will tell if he will become a professional player, but that shouldn't take away from what he accomplished as a collegian.

BTW, I'm not much of a professional sports fan, but I became a little bit more of a Bear's fan with the drafting of Corey Graham and signing of David Ball (following up the career of Jerry Azumah). And if Randy Moss and/or Merriweather from Thug U. act up during the Patriot's season, then I'll have even more interest in the Bears!

bodoyle
April 30th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Care to make a bet Alum? I've made this bet with some conference rivals in other sports.

If I am wrong about this bet I will donate $50 to your alma mater, if I am right, you donate $50 to my alma mater.

Next season, CCU WR Jerome Simpson will be drafted, as David Ball was not.

Deal?

UNHWildCats
April 30th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Care to make a bet Alum? I've made this bet with some conference rivals in other sports.

If I am wrong about this bet I will donate $50 to your alma mater, if I am right, you donate $50 to my alma mater.

Deal?

Is Jerome Simpson gonna have an injury that prevents him from running for scouts at the NFL combine or at the schools pro day?

bison95
April 30th, 2007, 10:10 AM
I was very suprised he was not picked up in the 6th or 7th. Reciever draft was deep this year, but how could all these teams not look at the numbers and say this guy is worth a shot?

April 30th, 2007, 10:12 AM
... I became a little bit more of a Bear's fan with the drafting of Corey Graham and signing of David Ball (following up the career of Jerry Azumah)...It's a great time for FCS fans in Chicago with AP already being a standout and David Ball coming to town! All we need now is Santos at QB and da Bears win the Super Bowl!! :)

UNHWildCats
April 30th, 2007, 10:14 AM
call da bears and tell em to scout Santos all season :p then they can draft him in the 1st round :D

andy7171
April 30th, 2007, 10:16 AM
It's important to remember, alot of the FA signings are better deals for the players after the end of the 5th round. The player can pick the team he's going to for the best fit. While an honor to get drafted, it doesn't mean that a better deal is going to occur.

Just my 2 cents.

UNH 40
April 30th, 2007, 10:22 AM

If you want to talk about slightly above average and overrated look no further than you former QB. I can't believe he got draft and ball didn't.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 30th, 2007, 10:51 AM

Deal?

Sorry, I don't make bets, just like I don't make predictions. Besides, whether Simpson gets drafted or not has nothing to do with Ball being overrated.

I'll stand on my opinion that as a collegian that David Ball was far from over-rated. The numbers and the teams he compiled them against stands for itself.

bodoyle
April 30th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Is Jerome Simpson gonna have an injury that prevents him from running for scouts at the NFL combine or at the schools pro day?

He was still invited to the combine right?

I don't see Simp being invited, but he will get drafted.

Would you like to take the bet?

bodoyle
April 30th, 2007, 11:14 AM
If you want to talk about slightly above average and overrated look no further than you former QB. I can't believe he got draft and ball didn't.

Don't worry santos will be the #1 pick next year. xlolx xnodx xthumbsupx

bodoyle
April 30th, 2007, 11:14 AM
call da bears and tell em to scout Santos all season :p then they can draft him in the 1st round :D

ANYONE BUT REX GROSSMAN!!!!

smallcollegefbfan
April 30th, 2007, 11:17 AM
It's a great time for FCS fans in Chicago with AP already being a standout and David Ball coming to town! All we need now is Santos at QB and da Bears win the Super Bowl!! :)

I think he would be around in the 3rd or 4th round and could get picked. I doubt the media has him higher than the 4th round in the preseason though. There are some really good FCS players for next year who should be projected to go ahead of him like Josh Johnson, Kendall Langford, etc.

Bobbie Williams is one that might shock too.

andy7171
April 30th, 2007, 02:58 PM
I think he would be around in the 3rd or 4th round and could get picked. I doubt the media has him higher than the 4th round in the preseason though. There are some really good FCS players for next year who should be projected to go ahead of him like Josh Johnson, Kendall Langford, etc.

Bobbie Williams is one that might shock too.
I would hope that the NFL scouts know better to see the difference between CAA competition and PFL competition. Lest yee forget Santos defeated Northwestern and has compiled HELLA stats. Next year will be his crowning glory.

Too bad all his records will only last a year when Shaefer takes them all. :D :p

UNHWildCats
April 30th, 2007, 03:19 PM
I would hope that the NFL scouts know better to see the difference between CAA competition and PFL competition. Lest yee forget Santos defeated Northwestern and has compiled HELLA stats. Next year will be his crowning glory.

Too bad all his records will only last a year when Shaefer takes them all. :D :p

He defeated Rutgers too, and Marshall will very soon join that list :D

http://travisliles.com/santos_career.htm

Santos career stats, I havent added in the UMass playoff game yet though.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 30th, 2007, 06:04 PM
He defeated Rutgers too, and Marshall will very soon join that list :D

When will you learn to do your boasting over on the smack forum? If you had added a wink emoticon then I would have read your comment differently. I know it is Marshall and all, but you made similar posts a short time ago about UMass that dragged umassfan out of hibernation. Those comments also effectively killed the mature, objective analysis of UNH and UMass for 2007 that was ongoing. I had hoped that you had learned your lesson after the Northern Iowa game? xconfusedx Love your enthusiasm Travis, but I wish you'd take the homer comments and trash talking over to the smack forum. xtwocentsx Sorry if I'm an old curmudgeon.

UNHWildCats
April 30th, 2007, 06:14 PM
saying UNH will beat Marshall is hardly smack....

BigApp
May 1st, 2007, 07:04 PM
congrats to Ball! http://planetsmilies.net/happy-smiley-541.gif

WildcatFan
May 6th, 2007, 06:44 AM
News from the Bears' camp - Corey & David are roommates - how sweet is that.

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Bear+camp&articleId=923d5128-49b9-4978-bd59-1a54f2710b24

winstoneagle
May 11th, 2007, 10:38 AM
with my Bears. First there is the wanna-be ap and now him. Oh brother!xnonono2x

atleast if he proves me wrong, it will help my Bears.

The "wanna-be AP"? I'll take my AP over Oklahoma's AP any day.

May 11th, 2007, 11:12 AM
... http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Bear+camp&articleId=923d5128-49b9-4978-bd59-1a54f2710b24
...Ball, who caught 58 career TD passes at New Hampshire, shattering Jerry Rice's Division I-AA record...It was the D-I record, not just I-AA.

Ivytalk
May 11th, 2007, 03:51 PM
It was the D-I record, not just I-AA.

Is that worth a Divvy?

bison95
May 11th, 2007, 04:03 PM
It was the D-I record, not just I-AA.
But what about all divisions? If you are going to comapre apples and oranges, then compare bannanas and kiwi also! They were correct in stating it was a I-AA record

75 Career TD's is the record, Scott Pingel DIII Westminster Mo.

UNHWildCats
May 11th, 2007, 04:12 PM
But what about all divisions? If you are going to comapre apples and oranges, then compare bannanas and kiwi also! They were correct in stating it was a I-AA record

Not really.

Differntiating between I-A and I-AA or FBS and FCS is like differntiating between AL and NL Baseball.

The two dont play much but we don't stand out Roger Maris as holding the AL record for homers in a season, or Babe Ruth for holding the AL career homers records. We recognize Barry Bonds and Hank Aaron as those record holders of MLB not just the NL.

Yes David Ball set his record in the FCS but it is still part of Division I. Troy Edwards holds the FBS record, but Ball owns the Division I record.

bison95
May 11th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Not really.

Differntiating between I-A and I-AA or FBS and FCS is like differntiating between AL and NL Baseball.

The two dont play much but we don't stand out Roger Maris as holding the AL record for homers in a season, or Babe Ruth for holding the AL career homers records. We recognize Barry Bonds and Hank Aaron as those record holders of MLB not just the NL.

Yes David Ball set his record in the FCS but it is still part of Division I. Troy Edwards holds the FBS record, but Ball owns the Division I record.

I love FCS football as much as everyone else but it is not the same level of football! If you think they are the same division, then why the divisionxconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

If it is college football then neither are close! Level of competition makes a differencexpeacex

UNHWildCats
May 11th, 2007, 04:19 PM
THEM BEING THE SAME DIVISION ISNT AN OPINION. THE NCAA SAYS THEY ARE!

Division I Football Bowl Subdivision

Division I Football Championship Subdivision

bison95
May 11th, 2007, 04:34 PM
THEM BEING THE SAME DIVISION ISNT AN OPINION. THE NCAA SAYS THEY ARE!

Division I Football Bowl Subdivision

Division I Football Championship Subdivision
Why the need for sub divisions if they are the same?

UNHWildCats
May 11th, 2007, 04:35 PM
differences in scholarships and them FBS goons dont like the playoffs :p

bison95
May 11th, 2007, 04:36 PM
differences in scholarships and them FBS goons dont like the playoffs :p
So there not the same!!!!!!!! One is different from the other!!!!!!:p :p

Yea, go watch your Rain Videosxcoolx :D :D

UNHWildCats
May 11th, 2007, 04:38 PM
AL baseball and NL baseball are different yet we recorgnize MLB records.

bison95
May 11th, 2007, 04:42 PM
AL baseball and NL baseball are different yet we recorgnize MLB records.
By 1 position player batting in one league, and a pinch hitter in the other!!! Not like having 26% less money to pay the players not because of success but because MLB says so!

UNHWildCats
May 11th, 2007, 04:43 PM
That difference totally effects how an entire game is played.

bison95
May 11th, 2007, 04:46 PM
That difference totally effects how an entire game is played.
Agree to disagree then! I will say that they are the same level when the two sub divisions play for the D I title, just like the world series!

Seriously, are you a Rain Fan!!!?????

UNHWildCats
May 11th, 2007, 04:47 PM
So since the FBS doesnt play for the Division I title does that put the FCS above them?

UNHWildCats
May 11th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Rain...the Korean singer/actor??

bison95
May 11th, 2007, 04:49 PM
So since the FBS doesnt play for the Division I title does that put the FCS above them?
In Championships yes!

bison95
May 11th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Rain...the Korean singer/actor??
Yes! Iwas trying to be a smartass and you ignored mexbawlingx xbawlingx

UNHWildCats
May 11th, 2007, 04:50 PM
How can you not like this?....

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j39/marshamaung/pepsi-rain.jpg

bison95
May 11th, 2007, 04:54 PM
How can you not like this?....

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j39/marshamaung/pepsi-rain.jpg
I can think of many ways, but I thought he was right up your alley.

UNHWildCats
May 11th, 2007, 04:55 PM
I can think of many ways, but I thought he was right up your alley.

If you were a girl or gay wouldnt you like that??? lol

bison95
May 11th, 2007, 04:58 PM
If you were a girl or gay wouldnt you like that??? lol
If I were a girl I would be gay!!!!!!!!!!!xnodx xnodx Love the ladies butts, just doesn't get any better!

May 11th, 2007, 07:06 PM
... I will say that they are the same level when...When they say they are? They do.

When the governing body says they are? They do.

When the record books say they are? They do.

When you say they are? Funny, they don't agree with you. xcoffeex

bodoyle
May 12th, 2007, 11:02 AM
The "wanna-be AP"? I'll take my AP over Oklahoma's AP any day.

$50 school donation as to who gets more starts next season?

May 12th, 2007, 11:59 AM
$50 school donation as to who gets more starts next season?I predict AP will start every game, the AP that holds all the records. I think he started every game last year. xnodx

bodoyle
May 14th, 2007, 03:34 PM
I predict AP will start every game, the AP that holds all the records. I think he started every game last year. xnodx

Do they even count speical teams as a starter? xeyebrowx

bison95
May 14th, 2007, 04:18 PM
When they say they are? They do.

When the governing body says they are? They do.

When the record books say they are? They do.

When you say they are? Funny, they don't agree with you. xcoffeex

Why the need for subdivisions if all D-I teams play for the same goal?

UNHWildCats
May 15th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Why the need for subdivisions if all D-I teams play for the same goal?

They dont FBS plays for bowl payouts, FCS plays for championships