PDA

View Full Version : David Ball Goes Undrafted

UNHWildCats
April 29th, 2007, 05:08 PM
This to me is the biggest surprise of the draft. I hope he uses this for motivation, and I hope someone will give him enough playing time that he gets to make many teams pay on the field for passing him over.

wildcat_fan
April 29th, 2007, 05:35 PM
xbawlingx

From what I know about David Ball, he WILL be motivated to prove himself. Glad to see Corey Graham get drafted.

April 29th, 2007, 05:41 PM
prolly good for him because now he can select where he has the best chance.

UNH_ORACLE
April 29th, 2007, 05:42 PM
DISRESPECT.

rokamortis
April 29th, 2007, 05:46 PM
That is surprising. Hopefully he gets signed UFA to a place where he can shine.

April 29th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Colston was 4th to last pick last year and look what he did... NFL draft is not always run by genius'

Cleets
April 29th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Did:

Baylark of Umass
&
Arkee Whitlock of Southern Ill.

Get drafted..?

-

TexasTerror
April 29th, 2007, 05:47 PM
I hope the Texans are calling his agent. He was a great FCS talent and I think he can be a steal for any team interested in his services.

April 29th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Did:

Baylark of Umass
&
Arkee Whitlock of Southern Ill.

Get drafted..?No, http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23117
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=85510

Cap'n Cat
April 29th, 2007, 05:54 PM
The scouts musta been watching that 2005 UNI game.......

:D

UNHWildCats
April 29th, 2007, 06:06 PM
cap'n didnt he do pretty good in that game :p

Ivytalk
April 29th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Not to worry. Undrafted free agents can succeed big time!xnodx

Pauly LB
April 29th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Does anyone know approximately what kind of money is involved in signing a free agent contract?

JohnStOnge
April 29th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Looking at the prospect profile on NFL.com ( http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/ball_david ) it looks to me like his draft chances were dampened by perceptions that he doesn't have good speed or upper body strength.

A quote: "If he only had speed, he'd rank among the position's elite. "

Then there's this one; which I don't quite get:

"Does well academically, but will struggle with a complicated playbook and needs more than several reps to retain."

The "positives" section is a lot longer than the "negatives" section. I think the the NFL really focuses on speed, though. I think if you're perceived as "slow" you're behind the 8 ball and have a lot to overcome.

JohnStOnge
April 29th, 2007, 07:44 PM
By the way...Jerry Rice wasn't real fast by NFL receiver standards either.

UNHWildCats
April 29th, 2007, 07:45 PM
his problem with speed was he couldnt run at most of the combines because of a hamstring strain and the time he did get a 40 speed it wasnt great a 4.66

rokamortis
April 29th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Does anyone know approximately what kind of money is involved in signing a free agent contract?

I read on Wikipedia that most UFA will sign the rookie minimum, which is $285,000 this year. There's probably a small bonus as well.

http://www.vertgame.com/sal_cap.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Draft

Pageoner
April 29th, 2007, 08:27 PM
whatta shame.

slycat
April 29th, 2007, 08:32 PM
im sure he'll sign on as a free agent somewhere. At 6-1 and 201 lbs. Hes kinda small for the nfl. if he bulks up a little more im sure hell be fine.

UNHWildCats
April 29th, 2007, 08:38 PM
im sure he'll sign on as a free agent somewhere. At 6-1 and 201 lbs. Hes kinda small for the nfl. if he bulks up a little more im sure hell be fine.

I dunno if hes too small apparently Jackssonville signed a 5-8 WR xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

slycat
April 29th, 2007, 08:53 PM
I dunno if hes too small apparently Jackssonville signed a 5-8 WR xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

hahahaha. that guy better be fast and have some ups. hes going to be looking at some numbers on guys backs.

bjtheflamesfan
April 29th, 2007, 09:42 PM
He could try the UFA route, but he also could try AFL (Arena Football League) Some guys have been able to transition well from that game to the NFL (Oronde Gadsden comes to mind)

Mr. C
April 29th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Here is hoping that David Ball makes the NFL look like fools again, just as Marques Colston did.

UNHWildCats
April 29th, 2007, 09:47 PM
He could try the UFA route, but he also could try AFL (Arena Football League) Some guys have been able to transition well from that game to the NFL (Oronde Gadsden comes to mind)

David Ball will be in an NFL camp. He dont need to go to the Arena League

Mr. C
April 29th, 2007, 09:49 PM
All of the stuff on Roosevelt Kiser's size. He was a quality WR. He also could have some value as a returnman. I get sick of all of this too slow, too small stuff. Either you can play, or you can't play. Kiser is a good enough player to deserve a shot.

Cleets
April 29th, 2007, 10:01 PM
All of the stuff on Roosevelt Kiser's size. He was a quality WR. He also could have some value as a returnman. I get sick of all of this too slow, too small stuff. Either you can play, or you can't play. Kiser is a good enough player to deserve a shot.

How does Baylark not get even a sniff..?

-

downbythebeach
April 29th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Should have played in the NEC....then he would have went.

AppGuy04
April 29th, 2007, 10:28 PM
This was a very deep draft at the WR position, so its not too surprising IMO

Mr. C
April 29th, 2007, 10:30 PM
How does Baylark not get even a sniff..?

-
He is viewed as a fullback, not a tailback at the NFL level. NFL teams don't draft a lot of fullbacks and also his supposed lack of speed (not sure I would think of him as a slow guy) was a drawback for those brilliant NFL minds.

Calilumber
April 29th, 2007, 10:47 PM
He is viewed as a fullback, not a tailback at the NFL level. NFL teams don't draft a lot of fullbacks and also his supposed lack of speed (not sure I would think of him as a slow guy) was a drawback for those brilliant NFL minds.

I think AZ just sniffed him. In other words he got signedxrulesx

Old Cat Fan
April 29th, 2007, 10:48 PM
At least on the NFL network ticker, D Ball was listed with 5 or 6 others as notables that went undrafted. It was the first time I heard or seen his name all day

Cleets
April 29th, 2007, 11:15 PM
I think AZ just sniffed him. In other words he got signedxrulesx

I suppose they knew they could get him without using a draft choice...

-

kardplayer
April 29th, 2007, 11:30 PM
I read on Wikipedia that most UFA will sign the rookie minimum, which is $285,000 this year. There's probably a small bonus as well.

http://www.vertgame.com/sal_cap.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Draft

On the ESPN Draft chat, they said that UFA's usually get about a 5k signing bonus, and some can get up to 15k.

April 29th, 2007, 11:46 PM
didn't Erik Kramer get a nice bonus last year?

grizband
April 30th, 2007, 12:17 AM
I believe Travis Lulay got a $10,000 signing bonus last year from the Seahawks.

ucdtim17
April 30th, 2007, 01:51 AM
On the ESPN Draft chat, they said that UFA's usually get about a 5k signing bonus, and some can get up to 15k.

Yeah I don't think they get the rookie minimum unless they actually make the roster, which is unlikely in most cases

jmuroller
April 30th, 2007, 08:41 AM
With only 7 rounds nowadays, it's really hard to get drafted. Back in the days they had 12+ rounds and everyone got drafted. Priority free agents make teams all the time now.

Russ B
April 30th, 2007, 01:52 PM

That's bigger than Brandon Stokley and we all saw how well Mr. Stokley did in Indy. :)

wildcat_fan
April 30th, 2007, 02:15 PM
SI just posted an article about Ball. The article says that he's been invited to the Bears' mini camp. Although I am not a Bears fan, it would be nice to see him make the team and play with Corey Graham.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/alexander_wolff/04/30/not.drafted/index.html

PapaBear
April 30th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Here is hoping that David Ball makes the NFL look like fools again, just as Marques Colston did.

Scouts deal in probabilty, not certainty. Mistakes only make them look foolish in the eyes of people who are disappointed with their choices.

I wish they'd have drafted Ball, too. I know his story well, and I find it very inspirational. But for whatever reason, people who are A LOT smarter than anyone on this board (when it comes to predicting success in the NFL) decided that some other WRs were better suited to their systems and teams.

Debating their choices is the American way. Namecalling is childish.

umassfan
April 30th, 2007, 06:29 PM
You better watch that draft chat crap because Mr C might come after you next for posting thinks you dont know about ;)

GeauxColonels
April 30th, 2007, 10:11 PM
There was a guy that called up the local station in New Orleans this afternoon and was heavily in favor of the Saints drafting from the small schools (Towson & Wingate this year...Hofstra and Bloomsburg last year). He had pretty good back up by saying something along the lines of this...

You don't have to come from a big school to be a good player. Jerry Rice and Walter Payton came from Mississippi Valley State and Jackson State, respectively.

And there are TONS of other players that fit that statement.

Mr. C
April 30th, 2007, 10:25 PM
You better watch that draft chat crap because Mr C might come after you next for posting thinks you dont know about ;)
Would you chill out? Your reputation around here speaks for itself when you attack players from other teams. I wouldn't expect you to say anything nice about Ben Patrick, David Ball, or any other A-10/CAA player from a rival team.

Mr. C
April 30th, 2007, 10:26 PM
didn't Erik Kramer get a nice bonus last year?
Were you mixing up Erik Kramer (the ex-QB from your Detriot Lions) with Erik Meyer?

Mr. C
April 30th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Not to worry. Undrafted free agents can succeed big time!xnodx
Appalachian State's John Settle was one of the great I-AA RBs of the late 1980s, but went undrafted. He was signed as a free agent by the Atlanta Falcons and proceeded to rush for over 1,000 yards and make the Pro Bowl as a rookie. There are others who have had fine starts as free agents.

April 30th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Were you mixing up Erik Kramer (the ex-QB from your Detriot Lions) with Erik Meyer?Yes, again but in last name only! (except Kramer was from my Chicago Bears) Meyer got a nice bonus last year no?

Mr. C
April 30th, 2007, 11:09 PM
Kramer also played for the Falcons, Lions and Chargers. He was a starter with the Lions and Bears.

Old Cat Fan
April 30th, 2007, 11:10 PM
SI just posted an article about Ball. The article says that he's been invited to the Bears' mini camp. Although I am not a Bears fan, it would be nice to see him make the team and play with Corey Graham.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/alexander_wolff/04/30/not.drafted/index.html
Good read, thanks for the link up Wildcat Fan xthumbsupx

UNHFan99
May 1st, 2007, 08:03 AM
My understanding is that the average nfl rookie free agents sign get around 5,000 to 10,000. Alot do not get a signing bonus at all. It says in the SI article Dave didnt get a bonus. If he didnt get one I wonder how many do.