April 29th, 2007, 03:32 PM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/patrick_ben

smallcollegefbfan
April 29th, 2007, 03:33 PM
217 overall by Minnesota

smallcollegefbfan
April 29th, 2007, 03:33 PM
OVERVIEW
After four seasons at Duke, including three with the varsity as an H-back, Patrick decided to transfer to the University of Delaware for his final college season in 2006. As a Blue Devil, Patrick never had a quality quarterback to get the ball to him, and his decision to transfer proved to be a wise move as he went on to lead all Division 1AA tight ends in receiving as a senior.

At Jenkins High School, Patrick was rated the 15th-best tight end prospect in the country by Rivals.com. He was rated the second-best tight and 41st-best overall prospect in the state of Georgia by Super Prep. The Georgia High School Coaches Association named him the Southeast Georgia Player of the Year in 2001, as he also garnered all-city and All-Southeast Region accolades from Super Prep.

The team's Most Valuable Player competed as a quarterback, tight end, linebacker and punter in 2001. He led the team in passing yards, receptions and tackles that season. Patrick also lettered in baseball and basketball.

Patrick enrolled at Duke in 2002, spending the season on the scout team adjusting to playing tight end. In 2003, he was a third-team Freshman All-American selection by The Sporting News. He appeared in 10 games, starting against North Carolina. The redshirt freshman finished fifth on the team with 17 catches for 218 yards (12.8 avg.) and one touchdown. He was named a co-recipient of the team's inaugural Challenge Award.

In 2004, Patrick started six of 11 games at H-back. The team captain became only the third tight end in 30 seasons to lead the team in receptions, catching 32 passes for 311 yards (9.7 avg.) and a touchdown. In 2005, he started eight of 10 games, leading the team for the second consecutive year with 252 yards on 30 catches (8.4 avg.).

Patrick transferred to Delaware for the 2006 season. For the third time in his career, he led his team in receptions and also led the Division 1-AA tight ends with a career-high 64 catches for 639 yards (10.0 avg.) and six touchdowns.

In 31 games at Duke, Patrick started 15 times. He gained 781 yards with two touchdowns on 79 catches (9.9 avg.) and also recorded one solo tackle. For his collegiate career, Patrick started 24 of 42 games. He caught 143 passes for 1,420 yards (10.3 avg.), including eight touchdowns.

ANALYSIS
Positives: Has a thick frame with adequate muscle tone, smooth skin, good chest and arm thickness, good bubble, big shoulders and good upper body muscles with a frame that could carry at least another 10 pounds of bulk … Compensates for a lack of speed with good balance and body control through his route progression … Has good balance with the ball in his hands, running with a normal stride … His body control, hand/eye coordination and large hands will generally see him catch most balls away from his frame … His hands and size give quarterbacks a good short-area target, as he can bounce off defenders … Knows how to use his size and reach to get a clean push off the jam and is too big for second-level defenders to attempt to try and reroute him … Best when sitting down underneath … Knows how to use his body to push and leverage defenders and while no explosion is evident, he does a good job of using his frame to shield the ball from defenders … When he uses his body and squares his shoulders, Anderson is a load to bring down in isolated coverage … Won't win any foot races, so he has to use his power base to break tackles … Has good balance and body lean to gain valid yardage after the catch … Too stiff to extend and reach for the ball at its high point, but does have the ability to look the ball in and catch away from the frame … Does a good job of squaring his shoulders after the catch and has the functional flexibility (yet has stiff hips), to turn and run with the ball … Might show some flinch working in a crowd, but he has no problems catching outside his frame … Gets most of his separation by squaring his shoulders and generating the leg drive to break tackles.

Negatives: Methodical mover who lacks suddenness or good timed speed, but is effective getting a clean release and into his routes when working in the short area … Despite his size, Patrick is more of a finesse type who will shy away from contact, especially when asked to block … Has good strength, but seems to lack the desire to sustain and defenders can push him back into the pocket, making him a liability in pass protection … Lacks the quick-twitch moves or second gear to get into his routes quickly … Labors when running longer routes and is better served working in the short area over the middle than having him attack the second level … Doesn't have the speed to separate or the loose hips to elude … Has good hand/eye coordination, but seems to back off confrontations in a crowd … Has the upper body strength to make reach blocks or neutralize linebackers at the second level, but lacks the lower body strength and hand placement to lock on and sustain when blocking along the line … Gets too narrow in his stance and lacks good footwork in his kick slide.

Compares To: Mike Seidman-Carolina … Patrick is a very inviting short-area target with natural hands and the size to shield the ball from defenders … He lacks good technique and urgency as a blocker, and does not have the valid speed to be a vertical threat … He is best when used on controlled or underneath routes, as he shows good ball security.

INJURY REPORT
2003: Sat out the Florida State (9/27) and Maryland (10/11) games with a leg contusion.

2005: Did not play vs. Virginia Military Institute (9/17) with an unconfirmed foot sprain.

2006: Limited in August camp with a foot sprain.

AGILITY TESTS
Campus: 4.88 seconds in the 40-yard dash … 405-pound bench press … 560-pound squat … 32 3/8-inch arm length … 9 5/8-inch hands.

HIGH SCHOOL
Attended Jenkins (Savannah, Ga.) High School, playing football for head coach Rick Bond … Rated the 15th-best tight end prospect in the country by Rivals.com … Rated the second-best tight and 41st-best overall prospect in the state of Georgia by Super Prep … The Georgia High School Coaches Association named him the Southeast Georgia Player of the Year in 2001, as he also garnered all-city and All-Southeast Region accolades from Super Prep … The team's Most Valuable Player competed as a quarterback, tight end, linebacker and punter in 2001 … Led the team in passing yards, receptions and tackles that season … Also lettered in baseball and basketball.

PERSONAL
African/African American Studies major … Son of Jacqueline and Freddie Patrick, Sr … Brother, Freddie, Jr., played football at Chattanooga from 1995-98 and earned GTE Academic All-District honors … Born Aug. 23, 1984 … Resides in Savannah, Ga.

dbackjon
April 29th, 2007, 06:19 PM
CARDINALS!! I love this pick for Arizona!

Ivytalk
April 29th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Better late than never.xrolleyesx

dbackjon
April 29th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Funny thing about the pick - the Cardinals have selected quite a few Michigan players the past few years - some on my Cardinals board were joking that the Delaware helmet confused the Cards, they picked him thinking he was another Wolverine...xlolx

blukeys
April 29th, 2007, 06:58 PM
You're in for a treat. Enjoy the Patrick Experience. :D

Mr. C
April 29th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Why did Patrick drop so far? Earlier in the process, some people thought he might be the highest pick, or one of the highest among FCS players.

umassfan
April 29th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Why did Patrick drop so far? Earlier in the process, some people thought he might be the highest pick, or one of the highest among FCS players.
He droped because he played for a "small school" and cannot block. He is only known for his catching. Also stated he has a lack of size for the TE poss.

BEAR
April 29th, 2007, 09:14 PM
I was just glad to see him go. The later the rounds went, the more I thought...geez..if Jacob Ford isn't in this round..how in the world can any FCS player make it? I guess FA is the normal step for FCS players huh? (I really don't know the answer to this, just that over the years less and less FCS players are being picked..or at least it seems that way.) Glad for Ben though!

smallcollegefbfan
April 29th, 2007, 09:24 PM
He droped because he played for a "small school" and cannot block. He is only known for his catching. Also stated he has a lack of size for the TE poss.

Don't forget he has had several drops over his career. Seems like Patrick dropped very late too. He had several teams showing major interest after the combine.

SunCoastBlueHen
April 29th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Don't forget he has had several drops over his career.

What does this mean? xconfusedx

Mr. C
April 29th, 2007, 09:39 PM
I was looking for a REAL answer, not some criticism from a fan of a rival school. If he was being talked about as a fourth-round draft earlier in the winter, the fact he played for a "small school" and his other supposed limitations had nothing to do with it. I wanted to know why his stock dropped. The "small school" is particularly ridiculous when you consider he played three years in the ACC before transferring.

umassfan
April 29th, 2007, 11:35 PM
I was looking for a REAL answer, not some criticism from a fan of a rival school. If he was being talked about as a fourth-round draft earlier in the winter, the fact he played for a "small school" and his other supposed limitations had nothing to do with it. I wanted to know why his stock dropped. The "small school" is particularly ridiculous when you consider he played three years in the ACC before transferring.
Im telling you what the people said in the draft tracker chat during the draft. I gave you a real answer. Prob is Im right again and you dont like seeing me be right.

Mr. C
April 30th, 2007, 12:33 AM
Im telling you what the people said in the draft tracker chat during the draft. I gave you a real answer. Prob is Im right again and you dont like seeing me be right.
Boy, nothing like chat room stuff to get to the bottom of things. You are making all of the regulars around here laugh with the second part of your response.
xrotatehx xeekx

umassfan
April 30th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Boy, nothing like chat room stuff to get to the bottom of things. You are making all of the regulars around here laugh with the second part of your response.
xrotatehx xeekx
Umm IDIOT... I am talking about the ESPN crew who are there giving their input as the draft goes on. I am not refering to others like you who pretend to have a clue whats going on. If you are so wise and have a better answer... then why did Mr Ben Patrick fall in the draft? See you asked the question because you didnt know... and before you give your input about someones responce(which is correct) maybe you should check to see if he is correct or incorrect before making yourself look even worse. Just a thought! xthumbsupx

blukeys
April 30th, 2007, 06:59 AM

At 6'4" and 260 lbs. just how big do you have to be for a TE in the NFL?

yorkcountyUNHfan
April 30th, 2007, 07:15 AM

Because idoit Mel Keiper kept adding "formerly of Duke" when talking about him. If he would have just left it at "Ben Patrick of Deleware" he'd have gone on the 1st day.

smallcollegefbfan
April 30th, 2007, 09:01 AM
At 6'4" and 260 lbs. just how big do you have to be for a TE in the NFL?

Patrick only measured in at his pro day at 6'3 1/8, 250lbs. 6'4 260 is what he was listed at. 6'3 is borderline in the NFL. If his hands were better he would have gone earlier. That is the big knock I have seen on him as he dropped a few more balls than you would want in college.

smallcollegefbfan
April 30th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Because idoit Mel Keiper kept adding "formerly of Duke" when talking about him. If he would have just left it at "Ben Patrick of Deleware" he'd have gone on the 1st day.

haha. What is funny about Kiper is when he would talk about Ted Ginn for example the only thing he really said was he could play KR, PR, WR, and he was fast and explosive. I think we all know that. He is just so vague that it is hard for him to be wrong about a player. I noticed he skipped that big 340 pound FB from Hawaii in terms of talking in depth about him and many others.

smallcollegefbfan
April 30th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Here is a thought on Kiper. Anyone ever notice why he does not attend any bowl games, except the last two days of the Senior Bowl and why he is not even at the combine? I have heard rumors on why he does not attend the combine and it is rather comical if true.

SunCoastBlueHen
April 30th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Patrick only measured in at his pro day at 6'3 1/8, 250lbs. 6'4 260 is what he was listed at. 6'3 is borderline in the NFL. If his hands were better he would have gone earlier. That is the big knock I have seen on him as he dropped a few more balls than you would want in college.

Actually, the opposite is true. The report on Ben was great hands, average blocking ability. I think you got caught listening to Kiper during the draft who flat out got that one wrong.

As for Ben's weight, he purposefully slimmed down to try to improve his quickness for the combines. He played at 260+ for Delaware.

HensRock
April 30th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Kiper is the only one who EVER said that Ben dropped a few, and that was only late yesterday after being asked if he was shocked to see Ben go so low. Kiper was backpedalling and grabbed the wrong straw! I don't even remember ever seeing Ben drop a ball at Delaware.

If the knock was his size, the ironic thing is that Ben played college TE at 270 for the past 3 years. He lost weight down to 253 working out for the combine!

blukeys
April 30th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Kiper is the only one who EVER said that Ben dropped a few, and that was only late yesterday after being asked if he was shocked to see Ben go so low. Kiper was backpedalling and grabbed the wrong straw! I don't even remember ever seeing Ben drop a ball at Delaware.

If the knock was his size, the ironic thing is that Ben played college TE at 270 for the past 3 years. He lost weight down to 253 working out for the combine!

Agreed!!! Anyone who actually watched Ben play knows that he doesn't drop balls thrown to him.

He had the least drops of anyone on the team to go with his 60+ receptions.

yorkcountyUNHfan
April 30th, 2007, 06:17 PM
I only saw him play one game...I was VERY impressed. He stood out in a game with some very good football players in it.xbowx xbowx

89Hen
May 1st, 2007, 12:16 PM
Five solid Day 2 picks

1. Ben Patrick, No. 215 to Arizona: I had Patrick as a second-round pick and the third-best tight end in this draft. He slipped to the seventh round. Despite a 60+ reception senior season at Delaware, the former Duke player fell off the boards. Way off. I still think he'll be a dynamic force at the next level.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6757084

jmuroller
May 1st, 2007, 03:34 PM
This is all you need to know about Mel Kiper...

A quote straight from his mouth..."The Colts will never live down taking Peyton Manning over Ryan Leaf."

BigApp
May 1st, 2007, 07:01 PM
congrats to BP! http://planetsmilies.net/happy-smiley-541.gif