PDA

View Full Version : Youngstown St. 2019

Paladin1aa
July 25th, 2019, 07:05 PM
YSU will open fall camp shortly and it’s time for the preseason/ 2019 season thread. There are 5 key issues to start fall camp with -

1st, one of the QBs expected to seriously compete for the starting job is no longer on the roster. Jayden Cunningham is gone.

2nd - the OL has added 2 transfers and a Juco. The former 2 year starter at C for WVU comes in at 6’3, 325 and will be an immediate starter. Add in a Juco at 6’4, 315 and I project another starter at G. Finally a former Tenn. Tech starter may work into the lineup as well. Only the OT look like a weak spot.

3rd - DE Reed , a former Florida transfer ,has recovered from injury and gets an NCAA approved 6th year for medical reasons. He is a potential NFL player.

4th - The Guins add another starter at S with a Vanderbilt transfer who had numerous starts. He will solidify the secondary.

5th - The biggest question is at QB. While former starter Mays will probably get the start in the opener, barring injury, many, including myself believe that true Frosh Waid will play and overtake him to become the starter by the opening of MVFC play.

While last post season had a projection of a 6-6 for this year, the additions may make them better. We will follow their progress here and then into the regular season.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 25th, 2019, 07:21 PM
YSU makes the playoffs IMO.

They should go 4-0 in the OOC games. They will be a tough game for everyone this year.

Paladin1aa
July 25th, 2019, 07:29 PM
I look for YSU to go no less than 3-1 in OOC. To go 4-0 is a 50/50 shot. I’m not ready to project playoffs yet.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 25th, 2019, 07:55 PM
I look for YSU to go no less than 3-1 in OOC. To go 4-0 is a 50/50 shot. I’m not ready to project playoffs yet.

YSU's conference schedule is favorable this year with NDSU, SDSU and Ill State at home.

4-4 in the conference will be good enough for the playoffs, esp if they go 4-0 in the OOC. But, IMO, YSU does better than 4-4 in the conference.

POD Knows
July 25th, 2019, 08:44 PM
YSU makes the playoffs IMO.

They should go 4-0 in the OOC games. They will be a tough game for everyone this year.they are going to lose to Samford in the first game, it is going to be hot as hell down there and they will fold like a house of cards.

Paladin1aa
July 25th, 2019, 08:45 PM
We will see shortly what the preseason MVFC polls says. I rank NDSU, SDSU and ISUr as better. Throw in road games at better ISUb and UNI, who YSU is cursed with and possible other games that are toss ups, I won’t be making playoff travel plans yet.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 25th, 2019, 09:00 PM
they are going to lose to Samford in the first game, it is going to be hot as hell down there and they will fold like a house of cards.

Samford is a paper tiger, if you can even call them that. Mediocre at best and I'm probably high balling that. Bo's brother is back on the coaching staff and they'll have this team ready.

NDSU
SDSU
Ill State
YSU

These teams make the playoffs IMO this year.

Schism55
July 25th, 2019, 09:26 PM
Samford is a paper tiger, if you can even call them that. Mediocre at best and I'm probably high balling that. Bo's brother is back on the coaching staff and they'll have this team ready.

NDSU
SDSU
Ill State
YSU

These teams make the playoffs IMO this year.
And Ind St, MVFC gets 5 this year xthumbsupx

FUBeAR
July 26th, 2019, 05:19 AM
they are going to lose to Samford in the first game, it is going to be hot as hell down there and they will fold like a house of cards.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQ0sSQxlCgN-Rn6LmjH9drvbvtawRLbbqf2G-cMGjnaJQaXJ06p

JSUSoutherner
July 26th, 2019, 05:38 AM

Can confirm. Montgomery in August is absolutely terrible. That place sucks even by southern standards.

However, I will never bet against Sanford's ability to dissapoint. Due to the lack of a Hodges to dig them out of their inevitable hole, I'll take the Penguins by a FG in a game so dreadful neither of them deserve to win.

Bo Pellini loses his **** and overheats in the third at which point his cat will take over.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 26th, 2019, 06:15 AM

You're probably right. The Valley has been shortchanged many years with their lack of bids. Hopefully not this year!!

SU DOG
July 26th, 2019, 09:29 AM
Can confirm. Montgomery in August is absolutely terrible. That place sucks even by southern standards.

However, I will never bet against Sanford's ability to dissapoint. Due to the lack of a Hodges to dig them out of their inevitable hole, I'll take the Penguins by a FG in a game so dreadful neither of them deserve to win.

Bo Pellini loses his **** and overheats in the third at which point his cat will take over.

A JSU fan talking about another team's ability to disappoint? How could this game be more dreadful than what we saw last year? Samford disappointing last season - YES, but here is Pot calling Kettle. LOL!

JSUSoutherner
July 26th, 2019, 09:57 AM
A JSU fan talking about another team's ability to disappoint? How could this game be more dreadful than what we saw last year? Samford disappointing last season - YES, but here is Pot calling Kettle. LOL!If we are so dissapointing, when's the last time you beat us?

I'll wait.

We aren't the pot, we're the stove buddy.

Sent from my Galaxy S9+ using Tapatalk

SU DOG
July 26th, 2019, 10:17 AM
If we are so dissapointing, when's the last time you beat us?

I'll wait.

We aren't the pot, we're the stove buddy.

Sent from my Galaxy S9+ using Tapatalk

It's been TOO LONG, I'll give you that. You have to admit, however, that you guys were disappointed last year with your Kickoff Game performance. I read your Board, and see the frustration with your Playoff Games, the OVC, etc.

JSUSoutherner
July 26th, 2019, 10:20 AM
It's been TOO LONG, I'll give you that. You have to admit, however, that you guys were disappointed last year with your Kickoff Game performance. I read your Board, and see the frustration with your Playoff Games, the OVC, etc.

Yeah, the playoffs have been a bummer and the NCAT game should have been ours.

But hey, at least we know what it's like to win a playoff game.

Redbird 4th & short
July 27th, 2019, 09:28 AM
You're probably right. The Valley has been shortchanged many years with their lack of bids. Hopefully not this year!!
Bids and seeds .... STATS seemed to notice Colonial's performance last season ... guessing MVFC gets treated a little more fairly this year come playoff time. There was fair amount of noise (from many) about Colonial and Southland getting too much love last year, and ISUb getting screwed. I plan to bump my thread on 2011-18 playoff results and beat that drum again towards end of season .. this time, I will plan to carve out conf head-to-head and then split out home/away ... both of which will further pound the same point home. At some point, those results must be given consideration ... 8 years bottom line results really can't be argued and last year again was no exception.

Redbird 4th & short
July 27th, 2019, 09:36 AM
UNI will certainly be in mix .. I think by end of year, 6 MVFC teams could be in the hunt ... not sure if 6th will be WIU or YSU or USD .. but I like NDSU, SDSU, ISUr in top 3, then ISUb and UNI for 4th/5th, then WIU, YSU, USD will ... sure someone in that group be a surprise ... 1 will tank (either due to grind or injuries) and 1 will do better than expected ... but I would be surprised if MVFC doesn't get 5 bids this year, plus a 6th could be in the hunt.

Paladin1aa
July 27th, 2019, 01:43 PM
YSU’s OOC foes have now been ID in polls and at least the look is favorable. The weak schedule shows Samford in the opener picked for 6th in the 9 team SoCon. Howard from the MEAC is picked 4th from the 9 team league. From the NEC, Duquesne is picked for 1st and Robert Morris is picked for 7th in the 8 team league. On paper YSU should win these games. Yet I recall the Butler fiasco from last year.

The MVFC poll will be out soon. My projection in the poll is YSU will finish as the 6th team in the 10 team league. 7th would also not be surprising. The question becomes how well prepared YSU is for the opener if they go 4-0 in OOC.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 27th, 2019, 02:45 PM
YSU’s OOC foes have now been ID in polls and at least the look is favorable. The weak schedule shows Samford in the opener picked for 6th in the 9 team SoCon. Howard from the MEAC is picked 4th from the 9 team league. From the NEC, Duquesne is picked for 1st and Robert Morris is picked for 7th in the 8 team league. On paper YSU should win these games. Yet I recall the Butler fiasco from last year.

The MVFC poll will be out soon. My projection in the poll is YSU will finish as the 6th team in the 10 team league. 7th would also not be surprising. The question becomes how well prepared YSU is for the opener if they go 4-0 in OOC.

I would be very surprised if the Penguins do not go 4-0 in the OOC games. The local Bison radio guys have the play-by-play guys on from all the other Valley teams and the YSU announcer thinks YSU could have a really good year. Both NDSU guys think so. IMO, Bo's brother Carl coming back will really get this team going. IMO, YSU is a legit team to win the Valley this year. Very favorable home schedule.

Paladin1aa
July 27th, 2019, 04:39 PM
To be fair, Carl Pelini is a very good D coach and I expect them to be good. The problem at this point is the O. QB is unsettled with limited abilities, new members of the OL will be learning to work together and lack of standout WRs and TEs. They also have to find a new starting RB and don’t have any standouts to point to.

We will see how the MVFC poll looks, but I currently rate NDSU, SDSU, ISUr, ISUb and UNI as better than YSU. Schedule doesn’t mean much if you can’t match up personnel with the opponents, home or away. I don’t think they have any shot at winning the MVFC. BTW, the broadcast team are notorious homers and one or both are also employees at YSU. Not exactly neutral. There is also a rumor ticket sales are going badly and there may be hype job underway. Bozo has worn out his welcome and natives are getting restless.

SU DOG
July 28th, 2019, 10:00 AM
Reading from today's Vindy:

https://www.vindy.com/news/2019/jul/28/ysu-football-team-preps-fcs-kickoff-classic/

Reign of Terrier
July 28th, 2019, 02:59 PM

Yeah, I don't know how I feel about this game because on an emotional level I hate Samford and I hate MVFC chest-beating.

On an intellectual level, YSU has done pretty much nothing since their impressive run to Frisco in 2016 (note: current seniors were freshmen when that happened).

Samford is the least predictable team in the FCS. Seriously. No team in the Socon has regularly 1) been *at least* mid-tier 2) regularly beaten the top tier teams (they beat all 3 socon co-champs last year) and 3) still managed to lose to at least one team that finished in the bottom half of the conference (2018: Mercer/Cit; 2017: Chattanooga; 2016: ETSU, 2015: Furman)

Put another way, Samford is the kind of team that gave Mississippi State and Florida State trouble, but whenever they're expected to do well they lay a giant egg. I think it's a Hatcher thing, because he did it at Georgia Southern too.

So, now that I outlined all that I think Youngstown State has to be the favorite. Last year was supposed to be "the year" for Samford, but they lose a *lot*

Reign of Terrier
July 28th, 2019, 03:04 PM
Also, not to troll, but Youngstown did lose to Butler last year. I think that should be a lesson in counting chickens before they hatch and what not

Paladin1aa
July 28th, 2019, 07:06 PM
Yep, they lost to Butler. All that did is expose Pelini for the very poor H.S. recruiter that he is. He is making a living annually bringing in transfers and Jucos since his H.S. Recruits are so poor and he fails to develope the talent he does bring in.

Yesterday first practice revealed the following - with only one starting OL returning ( a H.S. Recruit) ,he will fill the other starters with 2 transfers and 2 Jucos. They have also added a late Juco OL who has possibilities. Up and down the roster you will find many starters who are transfers or Jucos. Their best players are not H.S. Recruits typically. And he is doing this on an annual basis. Not exactly the way you want a program run.

This style management, at least this year, looks like they may improve, if only for one year. That said, I’m still concerned as how prepared they will be for Samford (who is no Butler), the heat,what will essentially be a home game for them and serious questions marks at QB for YSU. After 4-7 last year, they have to look up. The OOC overall is easy, but the MVFC will not be a cake walk.

Paladin1aa
July 29th, 2019, 10:15 AM
The MVFC poll is out, and I’m pretty much on the money. NDSU is picked to win it followed by SDSU, ISUr, ISUb, UNI and USD. YSU finished 7th. Can’t argue with that. My picks were very close to that. I had that order correct until 6th when USD slipped in ahead of YSU. But I also allowed that someone could slip in ahead of YSU for 6th, dropping YSU to 7th.

ysubigred
July 29th, 2019, 12:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Am8tXhZirs

SU DOG
July 29th, 2019, 01:14 PM
Yep, they lost to Butler. All that did is expose Pelini for the very poor H.S. recruiter that he is. He is making a living annually bringing in transfers and Jucos since his H.S. Recruits are so poor and he fails to develope the talent he does bring in.

Yesterday first practice revealed the following - with only one starting OL returning ( a H.S. Recruit) ,he will fill the other starters with 2 transfers and 2 Jucos. They have also added a late Juco OL who has possibilities. Up and down the roster you will find many starters who are transfers or Jucos. Their best players are not H.S. Recruits typically. And he is doing this on an annual basis. Not exactly the way you want a program run.

This style management, at least this year, looks like they may improve, if only for one year. That said, IÂ’m still concerned as how prepared they will be for Samford (who is no Butler), the heat,what will essentially be a home game for them and serious questions marks at QB for YSU. After 4-7 last year, they have to look up. The OOC overall is easy, but the MVFC will not be a cake walk.

Somehow you failed to mention that one of those xfers is BIG Matt Jones, formerly West Virginia's road grader center who will probably punish FCS defenses.

Paladin1aa
July 29th, 2019, 01:34 PM
Mentioned him in other posts on this thread. Local star who came back home as a grad transfer. 6’3, 325, he is pretty good and a former 2 year starter at WVU. Good thing he did as the OL is in shambles from poor H.S. recruiting. If not for the transfers and Jucos, YSU would be in a world of hurt.

Paladin1aa
July 30th, 2019, 09:38 AM
It’s becoming obvious D is going to YSUs strong suit. They are loaded. The additions after last season look outstanding as the transfers and Jucos stand out. Team is deep at many positions and while some of the LBs are undersized, they are athletic, fast and tough. The D will keep them in most games. Keep your eyes on Florida transfer DE Reed, Vanderbilt transfer S Jones and some Jucos. This is potentially a killer unit.

Now, if they can just get the O moving............

JSUSoutherner
July 30th, 2019, 10:20 AM
Yeah, I don't know how I feel about this game

Simple, be glad it's football season, and be glad you're on your couch in the AC instead of baking in Montgomery.

ysubigred
July 30th, 2019, 01:59 PM
It’s becoming obvious D is going to YSUs strong suit. They are loaded. The additions after last season look outstanding as the transfers and Jucos stand out. Team is deep at many positions and while some of the LBs are undersized, they are athletic, fast and tough. The D will keep them in most games. Keep your eyes on Florida transfer DE Reed, Vanderbilt transfer S Jones and some Jucos. This is potentially a killer unit.

Now, if they can just get the O moving............

Well "IF" the x-fer kicker from Kent State is worth anything YSU may win plenty of games ~ score 3-2 in 2 OT's xsmiley_wix

Paladin1aa
July 30th, 2019, 02:41 PM
Kicked game bears watching, Red. First, they only have one real LS and he is a true Frosh.

McFadden only kicked off at Kent. He couldn’t win the PK job for xpt and fgs. While his Dad was a former YSU kicker who kicked in the NFL, it’s still a question of is he the best YSU has. Their other kicker was Redshirted and he is pretty good. Holds the Ohio H.S. Records for FGs. Could see each playing and in their own specialties.

Special teams remain fuzzy. Personally , I’d like to see them bench Coates and play some one else on PRs. He produced next to nothing. Surely one of their speed burners can make something happen returning punts.

ysubigred
July 30th, 2019, 02:52 PM
Kicked game bears watching, Red. First, they only have one real LS and he is a true Frosh.

That is scary. I was surprised looking at the roster.

On a side note about the TB's, in my opinion the best TB is Joe Alessi but he don't get so many touches and in his Sr year? Am I missing what I see when he's out there?

Paladin1aa
July 30th, 2019, 02:57 PM
Alessi may not sniff the field much. Turner is the best TB and also has the best hands in the pass game. He will start . Chapman is the big bruiser they will use for short yardage hammering. Alessi May see the field, but only to give some one a break.

I suspect they will also look at Rushton in the early weenie games. He is a fast jitterbug, cuts on a dime, good balance and field vision. But he is only 170 lbs, soaking wet.......maybe.....lol. He won’t take pounding but may get spot duty.

ysubigred
July 30th, 2019, 02:59 PM
Alessi may not sniff the field much. Turner is the best TB and also has the best hands in the pass game. He will start . Chapman is the big bruiser they will use for short yardage hammering. Alessi May see the field, but only to give some one a break.

Strange how productive he is every time he see the field.

Paladin1aa
July 30th, 2019, 03:07 PM
I think you best check his stats again, Red. He wasn’t very productive and didn’t show up in MVFC games. Local H.S. Star but very average at this level.

ysubigred
July 30th, 2019, 03:16 PM
I think you best check his stats again, Red. He wasn’t very productive and didn’t show up in MVFC games. Local H.S. Star but very average at this level.

Few games I've been in person Joe seemed very productive when playing. Turner is good but seems to have the leg strength of a 3rd grade girl.

Paladin1aa
July 30th, 2019, 03:20 PM
They will use the early weenie games to play a lot of people to evaluate them on film in preparation for the MVFC. Based on past weenie games, I wouldn’t get excited. Lots of players never see the field again when the MVFC starts. They have a lot of question marks on O. Some in the Special teams. D appears pretty set while looking at rotations to be used. Redshirts can play 4 games and not lose their redshirt, so that’s a wild card.

QB is key.

Paladin1aa
July 30th, 2019, 03:35 PM
I looked up the stats for you, Red. Alessi only had a TOTAL of 103 yds rushing for the ENTIRE season and didn’t catch a pass. Turner, while the backup TB , lead all receivers with 24 catches. No question he is the best TB. And because Chapman and Rushton are young and have potential, I expect to see them on the field. Alessi gets spot duty.

SU DOG
July 30th, 2019, 04:35 PM
Hey, you guys can set me straight if I'm wrong, but from what little I've seen, Jeremiah Braswell is your best WR. I am puzzled that he only started 4 games. Am I missing something here?

Paladin1aa
July 30th, 2019, 06:38 PM
YSU played a lot of wide outs last year. None was a standout star but all were steady. The best , IMO, got in the doghouse and transferred to Auburn at season end. Right now, the starting 3 wide outs are Mallory (6’2, 205 ), Shackleford (6’4, 200 ) and St. Surin ( 5’11, 185). Braswell (6’, 210 ) will play a lot. 8 of the top 10 receivers return.

ytownchief22
July 31st, 2019, 11:48 AM
WR Darius Shackleford has torn his ACL. Done for the year.

ysubigred
July 31st, 2019, 12:56 PM
I looked up the stats for you, Red. Alessi only had a TOTAL of 103 yds rushing for the ENTIRE season and didn’t catch a pass. Turner, while the backup TB , lead all receivers with 24 catches. No question he is the best TB. And because Chapman and Rushton are young and have potential, I expect to see them on the field. Alessi gets spot duty.

We might be comparing apples to oranges here but in Joe's limited playing time at YSU;

ATT Yards TD AV
43 652 7 15

Also very productive as A KO returner.

I like Turner but he just don't seem big and strong enough to be the starter. I'm going with the raw raw board on this one. Chapman will win the job.

ysubigred
July 31st, 2019, 12:58 PM

Shame nice kid and fun family in the TG lot xdrunkyx I hope he has a speedy recovery

Paladin1aa
July 31st, 2019, 02:35 PM
Yep, losing a starting WR hurts. While Bozo is handling the D, which should be YSUs strong suit, having Carl run the O isn’t awe inspiring. Carl has been a D coach most of his career. The O still has lots of problems yet. I’ll disagree Red as the O has changed quite a bit over these last few years. The days of 3 yds. And a cloud of dust are gone. It’s a Spread O with lots of passing, run/pass option for the QB (mostly run,lol) and using small scatbacks who also catch the ball well. Our last starting TB was small. Turner still gets the start because he not only runs well, he has the best hands. I’ll stick with my earlier evaluation that Chapman will be the bruiser they use for short yardage and backing up Turner. He doesn’t have great hands. I think they are working hard to develope some depth on the OL because they are very thin there. Some of the new Jucos may help. They will miss Shackleford because at 6’4 he was a match up problem at WR for many teams. Most of the backups are much shorter. TE looks strong but mostly as blockers. Joiner has the best hands so he will probably start.

Paladin1aa
July 31st, 2019, 04:51 PM
BTW, Red, McCaster was our starting TB for last 2 years. He was short and 195. And , to add insult to injury proving how poor a recruiter Bozo is, he was a WALK ON. His TB recruits have been awful. Turner is the same size except he is now going to start as a recruit Senior. McCaster came in at 165 lbs from New Castle. Did I mention Bozo doesn’t recruit well ? lol

Hey Chief, where did QB Cunningham go ?

ytownchief22
July 31st, 2019, 09:46 PM
BTW, Red, McCaster was our starting TB for last 2 years. He was short and 195. And , to add insult to injury proving how poor a recruiter Bozo is, he was a WALK ON. His TB recruits have been awful. Turner is the same size except he is now going to start as a recruit Senior. McCaster came in at 165 lbs from New Castle. Did I mention Bozo doesnÂ’t recruit well ? lol

Not sure. Trying to find that out.

ysubigred
August 1st, 2019, 07:25 AM
BTW, Red, McCaster was our starting TB for last 2 years. He was short and 195. And , to add insult to injury proving how poor a recruiter Bozo is, he was a WALK ON. His TB recruits have been awful. Turner is the same size except he is now going to start as a recruit Senior. McCaster came in at 165 lbs from New Castle. Did I mention Bozo doesn’t recruit well ? lol

Difference between McCaster and Turner is strength. Turner has shown that one finger brings him down with in a yard of the line of scrimmage.

Bottom line: who ever wins it I'm a fan xbowx

https://www.ysusports.com/sports/fball/2019-20/photos/0003/Alessi-UNI-web.jpg?max_width=1200

SU DOG
August 1st, 2019, 12:55 PM

Sorry to hear this, tough on any young man. Strange, however, that Coach Pelini had this quote in the paper: "He'll be alright. I don't think it's anything serious".

Paladin1aa
August 1st, 2019, 01:36 PM
That was before the MRI. Of course , now Braswell starts,lol. Expect to see a lot of Payne in the Slot as well.

The D is starting to look nasty. Big uptick in the secondary. Both S and CB are very good.

SU DOG
August 1st, 2019, 01:51 PM
Those DEs also look tough to me.

Paladin1aa
August 1st, 2019, 03:50 PM
Reed and Bynum start at DE with a rotation of Richmond and Cook. Solid position for YSU. As I said, the D has all the makings of being nasty. All the LB played last year. The DTs played last year and are also solid. Don’t see a weak spot on D now. Samford May be in trouble.

ytownchief22
August 1st, 2019, 09:34 PM
Defense does look really good so far in camp. Speed at all levels. Zaire and Justus are NFL level players.

JSUSoutherner
August 2nd, 2019, 01:23 AM
Defense does look really good so far in camp. Speed at all levels. Zaire and Justus are NFL level players.

But do they have Southern Speed™️?

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 2nd, 2019, 06:24 AM

This is one reason why I think YSU is going to do well this year in the Valley.

Paladin1aa
August 2nd, 2019, 06:51 AM
Jones at S is really turning heads. The Vanderbilt transfer is a complete stud. Many starters and backups return making the DBs tough. Can’t find a weakness anywhere on D.

The O is still searching for answers. Might be a long year at QB.

ytownchief22
August 2nd, 2019, 09:10 AM
Jones at S is really turning heads. The Vanderbilt transfer is a complete stud. Many starters and backups return making the DBs tough. Can’t find a weakness anywhere on D.

The O is still searching for answers. Might be a long year at QB.

Unfortunately this may be true. O-Line should be better but QB is shaky so far.

ysubigred
August 2nd, 2019, 09:13 AM
But do they have Southern Speed™️?

Ask any Valley team how important southern speed is xlmaox

ysubigred
August 2nd, 2019, 09:14 AM
Unfortunately this may be true. O-Line should be better but QB is shaky so far.

Pally has a year of eligibility left xsmiley_wix

Paladin1aa
August 2nd, 2019, 11:19 AM
Afraid not , Red. Used my eligibility. I coached for a number of years early, so I got some time there available , but not as a player, lol.

YSU gets a commit from Girard in the 2020 class - Haeden Gump, 6’4, 285, OL/DL ,a two time All Ohio player and team mate of QB Waid. Good pickup as he had BCS offers from Cincy, Air Force, BG, Akron and Kent St. He’ll be All Ohio again.

I wouldn’t excited with the QBs as I see them playing all three in the weenie games, getting film and putting them in plays to evaluate abilities under fire in game time before they name a starter for the MVFC season. Could even see them changing the O to fit the limited talent they have.

SU DOG
August 2nd, 2019, 11:22 AM
Reed and Bynum start at DE with a rotation of Richmond and Cook. Solid position for YSU. As I said, the D has all the makings of being nasty. All the LB played last year. The DTs played last year and are also solid. Don’t see a weak spot on D now. Samford May be in trouble.

I'm anxious to see the line on this game. My guess, which may be way off, is the Penguins by about 6 points. All the guesses here on AGS from my SoCon brothers have picked YSU except for my homer prediction.
These 2 teams have some striking similarities IMO.

Both had disappointing seasons last year, and both were picked to finish this season at about the same place in their respective conferences. Samford 6th in the 9 team SoCon, and YSU 7th in the 10 team Valley.

Both teams' biggest question mark might be concerning the QB issue.

Both teams expect to have above average defenses.

Both teams have had a recent addition to their roster at the Safety position. Both xfers were former all-state 3*** players coming out of HS and offered by at least one P5 school(admittedly Jones has the higher rating with several P5 offers - still a striking coincidence IMO).

The next game for both teams is against another FCS school, and both should be favorites(YSU - Howard, Samford - Tenn Tech).

There are probably some more, but these sorta jumped out at me. BTW, I think the heat is not that much of a factor for this game. Example, the high today in Youngstown is 86 and in Montgomery it is 88.

FUBeAR
August 2nd, 2019, 11:31 PM
BTW, I think the heat is not that much of a factor for this game.
Think again...

On August 24, the temperature in Montgomery, AL typically ranges from 73°F to 89°F and is rarely below 69°F or above 96°F. The chance of muggy, oppressive, or miserable conditions in Montgomery on August 24 varies over the course of the day, with an average daily chance of 88%.

On August 24, the temperature in Homewood, AL typically ranges from 71°F to 87°F and is rarely below 65°F or above 94°F. The chance of muggy, oppressive, or miserable conditions in Homewood on August 24 varies over the course of the day, with an average daily chance of 78%.

On August 24, the temperature in Youngstown, OH typically ranges from 61°F to 79°F and is rarely below 51°F or above 87°F The chance of muggy, oppressive, or miserable conditions in Youngstown on August 24 varies over the course of the day, with an average daily chance of 34%

Paladin1aa
August 4th, 2019, 07:25 PM
Saturday, Aug. 3, YSU held a Meet the Team Day. Primarily family and friends in attendance.

A scrimmage was also held showing a short passing game and some QB runs. Would appear RB may be by committee this year. Chapman looked good as a battering ram. Turner also looked good. At QB, Mays was #1 demonstrating once again little deep threat and more danger with his legs than arm. Craycraft played at #2 and Waid was #3. All got about the same reps.

With heat this week in the mid 80s and same forecast for next week, YSU should be prepared for a hot game. Feeling better about that. OL looks better but they are not deep.

Schism55
August 5th, 2019, 10:43 AM
https://twitter.com/SamHerderFCS/status/1158402129704497152

Paladin1aa
August 5th, 2019, 11:41 AM
Apparently I wasn’t far off earlier calling YSU- Samford a toss up. I’ll set this game up in a pic em thread about a week ahead of the game .as I still expect a close game

PaladinFan
August 5th, 2019, 12:19 PM
Think again...

On August 24, the temperature in Montgomery, AL typically ranges from 73°F to 89°F and is rarely below 69°F or above 96°F. The chance of muggy, oppressive, or miserable conditions in Montgomery on August 24 varies over the course of the day, with an average daily chance of 88%.

On August 24, the temperature in Homewood, AL typically ranges from 71°F to 87°F and is rarely below 65°F or above 94°F. The chance of muggy, oppressive, or miserable conditions in Homewood on August 24 varies over the course of the day, with an average daily chance of 78%.

On August 24, the temperature in Youngstown, OH typically ranges from 61°F to 79°F and is rarely below 51°F or above 87°F The chance of muggy, oppressive, or miserable conditions in Youngstown on August 24 varies over the course of the day, with an average daily chance of 34%

I don't know if it is going to be a factor in the game, but there is a 100% likelihood that it will be hot and muggy that day. The only reprieve will be if a mid-afternoon thunderstorm rolls through, but that will just make it that much muggier on the other side of the storm. They are also playing in the hottest part of the day.

I imagine you'll see a bunch of guys going out with cramps in the third quarter.

Paladin1aa
August 8th, 2019, 09:58 AM
The Vindy, under a Freedom of Info Act revealed Bozos new contract terms. He is under contract thru 2021 season, but took a pay cut, as I previously predicted. He made $213k before and now $200k. He did get improved bonuses, which he normally doesn’t qualify for.... improved academic standing.......marketing and PR duties which he abhors and of course playoffs and up to and including a NC ($25k). Not exactly a glowing endorsement. But when you got a multi-millionaire coach, he just doesn’t follow instructions well. lol

Paladin1aa
August 11th, 2019, 02:15 PM
YSU held another Saturday scrimmage and it wasn’t pretty. Still a long ways to go. They did find another RB who should get some play time. London Pearson, son of former Ohio St. RB great Pepe Pearson, had a big day and flashed some moves like his Dad. But the QB mess is still a disaster.

My take is Mays, the senior, is a backup, not a starter. He threw an INT early in the scrimmage. Craycraft is a lesser talent that is as good as he will ever be. Another backup. Waid, the true Frosh, has a high ceiling and is behind only because he is catching on to the new system. You play him in the first 4 games against weaker competition and he should be the best choice going into the brutal MVFC schedule. Not to mention it starts his development into a career starting QB for 4 years. I think the choice is now very obvious. Yet he remains #3.

The D remains championship caliber. They have a huge upside.

Im getting close to making my prediction of their season record. But QB remains unsettled and always looking out for a season ending injury or two which could impact the outlook. I’ll be interested to see what other YSU fans predict as well.

Paladin1aa
August 12th, 2019, 08:23 PM
O.K., time for the prediction. While I looked after last season as this being a 6-6 year with outside chance of a losing season, I’m predicting they go 7-5. The late additions of transfers and Jucos to address the OL problems, and the addition of DE Reed for an NCAA approved 6th year and the Late addition of Vanderbilt S Jones to an already loaded D should improve their chances.

Looking at the schedule, they should sweep the 4 OOC games. It’s the easiest schedule in a long time, almost embarrassing. I see them better than both SIU and WIU who were both ranked lower than YSU in the MVFC poll. That leaves them with what I view as a toss up game with USD and a game of near equals with ISUb. They win one of those. YSU has a championship level D that will make it competitive with the top teams, but suffer with a QB problem and lack a dominate RB. The O remains their Achilles heel.

7-5 leaves them as a bubble team, but if the 5 losses are to MVFC teams, I don’t see the committee taking them. While I’m comfortable predicting 7-5, I note they are thin at a number of positions on OL and aren’t deep at LB. Injuries could be a factor.

Interested to see what everyone thinks, especially YSU fans.

SU DOG
August 12th, 2019, 10:22 PM
So Paladin, since you are predicting an OOC sweep, what do you think the YSU winning point spread of the Kickoff Classic Game will be? Do you still see this as a close game?

Paladin1aa
August 13th, 2019, 07:27 AM
I don’t do point spreads. Looking at the game objectively, I expect Samford to throw the ball and YSU to run it. YSU has a huge OL and a RB by committee this year. None should get gassed. Expect them to start Mays, a run/pass option QB, risking only short throws. I expect the YSU D to be a major problem for Samford. YSU is loaded with very good DBs and is deep there. They also are loaded at DE and deep. Passing will be tough to do. Even the best of MVFC teams have trouble running on YSU, so don’t see Samford, usually a pass oriented team, being a major threat. That said, it’s the opener where people are still working out kinks, so the game should be a one score, 7 or less match.

I look forward to watching the game on my big screen TV relaxing in my recliner. Go Guins !

ysubigred
August 13th, 2019, 07:50 AM
I don’t do point spreads. Looking at the game objectively, I expect Samford to throw the ball and YSU to run it. YSU has a huge OL and a RB by committee this year. None should get gassed. Expect them to start Mays, a run/pass option QB, risking only short throws. I expect the YSU D to be a major problem for Samford. YSU is loaded with very good DBs and is deep there. They also are loaded at DE and deep. Passing will be tough to do. Even the best of MVFC teams have trouble running on YSU, so don’t see Samford, usually a pass oriented team, being a major threat. That said, it’s the opener where people are still working out kinks, so the game should be a one score, 7 or less match.

I look forward to watching the game on my big screen TV relaxing in my recliner. Go Guins !

Bull****!! I'm picking you up @ 0530 Friday 23 Aug 19 and we're heading to Montgomery xsmiley_wix

JSUSoutherner
August 13th, 2019, 08:19 AM
Bull****!! I'm picking you up @ 0530 Friday 23 Aug 19 and we're heading to Montgomery xsmiley_wix

You'll regret that once you get there.

ysubigred
August 13th, 2019, 08:34 AM
You'll regret that once you get there.

Pally house? Montgomery is a great town. I'm on the wall of tolerance as my whole family is xthumbsupx

JSUSoutherner
August 13th, 2019, 10:52 AM
Pally house? Montgomery is a great town. I'm on the wall of tolerance as my whole family is xthumbsupx

Montgomery is a **** hole.

Paladin1aa
August 13th, 2019, 10:53 AM
Hey, Red. What’s your season prediction and why ?

ysubigred
August 13th, 2019, 12:24 PM
Montgomery is a **** hole.

You've got to remember I've pretty much seen every **** hole around the world,,, Montgomery isn't even in the top 50 xthumbsupx

uni88
August 13th, 2019, 12:26 PM
You've got to remember I've pretty much seen every **** hole around the world,,, Montgomery isn't even in the top 50 xthumbsupx

Where does Youngstown rank in the top 10? :p

ysubigred
August 13th, 2019, 12:47 PM
Where does Youngstown rank in the top 10? :p

LOL I didn't want to go there. It's better than it used to be I'll say that.

ysubigred
August 13th, 2019, 01:00 PM
Hey, Red. What’s your season prediction and why ?

I don't have enough insight on the team as I used to have. I draw most of my thoughts from the raw raw board, local news paper and you.

With all that,,,, I'd say "IF" the defense is as good as advertised and the offense is as bad as advertised I'd say 6-6 because the defense can only be on the field so long.

If you all are missing the boat on the offense the team could very well end up as good as 9-3. I'm not as worried about the QB and O-line as I am the TB position. Like I said earlier, Turner is a good kid but he's not strong enough to be touching the ball 20-30 times a game unless half of those are swing passes. Also, I don't like the long snapper and kicking game as it's untested.

I'll settle for no less than 8-4 or It's time to start saying goodbye to Bo.

Penguin Nation
August 13th, 2019, 02:44 PM
The Vindy, under a Freedom of Info Act revealed Bozos new contract terms. He is under contract thru 2021 season, but took a pay cut, as I previously predicted. He made $213k before and now $200k. He did get improved bonuses, which he normally doesn’t qualify for.... improved academic standing.......marketing and PR duties which he abhors and of course playoffs and up to and including a NC ($25k). Not exactly a glowing endorsement. But when you got a multi-millionaire coach, he just doesn’t follow instructions well. lol

Wait, what?! The Vindy required a FOIA request to get the contract information? WTF?

Paladin1aa
August 14th, 2019, 08:59 AM
Funny, PN ? Vindy going out of business in 10 days and still needs a legal stick to beat info out of YSU. lol

Bozo is being coy about the QBs. Says he will play all 3. My money is still on Waid.

Paladin1aa
August 15th, 2019, 02:53 PM
DL looks set with Reed (270 lbs.)and Bynum (255) at DE and Thompson (290) and Craig (265) at DT. Unless injured, that’s the starters for Samford. Very solid. Look for a few new wrinkles as Bozo becomes his own DC.

Paladin1aa
August 20th, 2019, 04:05 PM
YSU has some surprises in its starting lineup for the opener. The OL is bolstered with grad transfers/former starters Jones at C (WVU) and Douglas at OG (Tenn. Tech.), New Juco Velez at OG and holdover starters at both tackle positions. They will platoon QB with Craycraft being the passer and Mays the runner. Turner gets the nod at RB but YSU will rotate 2 others in to keep fresh legs. Solid lineup.