PDA

View Full Version : UC Davis at USC in 2021 Is Creating Controversy with Trojan Fans and Sports Writers

BlueGoldAg
July 16th, 2019, 11:38 AM
The USC Trojans are one of only three FBS programs who have never scheduled an FCS opponent. The other two programs are Notre Dame and UCLA. That USC tradition is now scheduled to end on September 4, 2021, when UC Davis travels to the Coliseum in Los Angels to play the Trojans in the 2021 opener for both teams.

The Aggies see the game as an exciting opportunity:

"That USC agreed to play UC Davis as its first-ever FCS opponent signifies the respect they have for our team and university. It is deserved recognition of the upward trajectory of our football program under the guidance of Coach Hawkins," said Kevin Blue (https://ucdavisaggies.com/staff.aspx?staff=305), the university's director of athletics

https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2019/7/12/uc-davis-football-opens-with-usc-in-2021.aspx

But, many Trojan fans and some sports writers strongly disagree:

"The more we think of it, the more we realize exactly why the scheduling of FCS opponent UC Davis bothers us -- not to mention every former Trojan player we've heard from since Friday's announcement -- so much."

"The first thing you have to do is decide that it's worth USC's while to remain in the trio with Notre Dame and UCLA, its two arch-rivals, as the only three FBS teams not to have scheduled an FCS team. That's something of value. A record of some distinction. If not, then why has USC noted it with pride in every media guide and game notes we've ever seen?"

"But even more, it's an expression of that greatest of all college sporting mottoes: "FIGHT ON! It's the essence of "fighting on!" to figure out a way to keep that going. If you can't win national championships right now for all the reasons we know, you can still be that team that nobody wants to play, that team that backs off from no one and that team that is building to get back on top."

"Playing UC Davis does not do that. In 10 years, maybe it could make some sense when USC is selling out, when season tickets are at a premium, when fans are so focused on what the next year will bring that they don't care who you're playing in the opener, they'll be there to see the new Trojans team."

https://247sports.com/college/usc/Article/One-more-thought-about-USC-scheduling-UC-Davis-and-falling-off-the-No-FCS-list-133679428/Amp/

WestCoastAggie
July 16th, 2019, 12:53 PM
Interesting. #CutTheCheck

ngineer
July 16th, 2019, 01:00 PM
Hmmm, "...a team that backs off from no one..."????Seems to me they'd be "backing off".

lucchesicourt
July 16th, 2019, 01:43 PM
Well, as it see it, right now USC is only 1 of 3 teams that have never played a game against an FCS team. But, now there are only 2 teams that have never scheduled an FCS team (Notre Dame and UCLA).

Silenoz
July 16th, 2019, 02:12 PM
They're not wrong.

If an FCS power was one of three to never play an DII/NAIA it would be a point of pride.

Reign of Terrier
July 16th, 2019, 02:30 PM
Wasn't App State the first FCS team Michigan played?

PAllen
July 16th, 2019, 03:54 PM
I totally get the angst of USC supporters. That all said, UCD just needs to beat them now.

lucchesicourt
July 16th, 2019, 04:59 PM
That is probably the reason they won't play an FCS team. The last Pac 12 team we beat had their coach get fired.

UpstateBison
July 16th, 2019, 05:12 PM
The funniest part is USC still thinks they relevant in the FBS landscape. Delusional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mvemjsunpx
July 16th, 2019, 06:52 PM
They're not wrong.

If an FCS power was one of three to never play an DII/NAIA it would be a point of pride.

I really doubt most anyone would care. I mean, yeah, there would be the usual griping about schedule strength, but I don't think FCS fans care about a "tradition" on this sort of thing. Of course, I'm not sure any FCS powers are in this position, anyway. The only teams that seem to always play DI schedules every year are Patriot & Ivy teams.

Go Green
July 17th, 2019, 02:09 PM
The only teams that seem to always play DI schedules every year are Patriot & Ivy teams.

Ivies have played D-II and D-III teams before. Heck, Penn just played one a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi4Oh8h6OkQ

Go Green
July 17th, 2019, 02:24 PM
Anyone who cares, here are the other Ivy v. non-D1 games:

https://www.nytimes.com/1984/10/07/sports/yale-wins-41-0.html

https://cornellbigred.com/opponent-history/football/united-states-merchant-marine-academy/5/415

https://www.nytimes.com/1986/11/02/sports/college-football-columbia-up-by-14-at-halftime-is-beaten-again.html

(We actually lost the last one).

Go Green
July 17th, 2019, 04:09 PM
Getting back to the subject at hand.

USC has a lot of issues that need fixing--both within the football program and among the school as a whole.

Gripes about perceived weak nonconference scheduling (justified or not) *cannot possibly* be considered a huge priority for the USC faithful these days...

bonarae
July 17th, 2019, 05:31 PM
Speaking of FCS, are HBCUs in a similar situation playing both FBS (for funding) and non-D-I teams, both for pride and tradition (e.g. games involving Tuskegee and before, Morehouse)?

Redbird 4th & short
July 22nd, 2019, 01:32 PM
They're not wrong.

i don't know ... FBS playing down to FCS is very common (85% or so do it every year, including the SEC), while FCS playing down to D-II or NAIA is very uncommon (maybe 15% play down ... outside of Southland and HBCUs, it is very rare. ISUr did it in 2018 in place of our usual patsy, supposedly because we couldn't find sutiable easy home game. early in season .. our AD got roasted for it.

So you can't really equivocate the 2 situations.

Silenoz
July 23rd, 2019, 12:43 PM
I really doubt most anyone would care. I mean, yeah, there would be the usual griping about schedule strength, but I don't think FCS fans care about a "tradition" on this sort of thing. Of course, I'm not sure any FCS powers are in this position, anyway. The only teams that seem to always play DI schedules every year are Patriot & Ivy teams.
I guarantee if Montana or NDSU had never played a DII we'd have to hear about it at least 100 times per season

Silenoz
July 23rd, 2019, 12:54 PM
i don't know ... FBS playing down to FCS is very common (85% or so do it every year, including the SEC), while FCS playing down to D-II or NAIA is very uncommon (maybe 15% play down ... outside of Southland and HBCUs, it is very rare. ISUr did it in 2018 in place of our usual patsy, supposedly because we couldn't find sutiable easy home game. early in season .. our AD got roasted for it.

So you can't really equivocate the 2 situations.
How many FCS programs have not played down in the last decade, much less ever?

Redbird 4th & short
July 23rd, 2019, 01:33 PM
How many FCS programs have not played down in the last decade, much less ever?
no idea, but would guess probably 30% have not had to play down in last decade ... still does not equivocate to FBS playing down to FCS. FBS does it as a rule, FCS does it as exception .. most FCS would not do it at all if not for budgetary and scheduling difficulties.