PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft #1 pick

AppGuy04
April 27th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Who's it gonna be?

Ivytalk
April 27th, 2007, 10:33 AM
I thought Russell was a lock. Is Oakland having a change of heart?

AppGuy04
April 27th, 2007, 10:35 AM
I thought Russell was a lock. Is Oakland having a change of heart?

It's the Raiders man, nothing makes sense, and you never know

89Hen
April 27th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Too much disinformation out there. It's getting ridiculous.

spelunker64
April 27th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Russell is a lock, Johnson and Quinn are just a signing strategy

Peems
April 27th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Quinn is not even being considered for the #1 spot, as he shouldnt be. I was hoping the Raiders could pull the Daunte Culpepper deal, imagine. Culpepper with Moss and Johnson...SCARY!!!!

citdog
April 27th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Quinn is not even being considered for the #1 spot, as he shouldnt be. I was hoping the Raiders could pull the Daunte Culpepper deal, imagine. Culpepper with Moss and Johnson...SCARY!!!!

dante can't hardly move, at this stage all he is is a VERY big target to hit

Cobblestone
April 27th, 2007, 12:22 PM
I'm the only one who has voted for Quinn so far. I agree he's not # 1 at his position but if I were a GM I'd have to give strong consideration to a QB coached by Charlie Weiss.

dbackjon
April 27th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Charlie Weiss is overrated, as is Quinn.

Peems
April 27th, 2007, 12:47 PM
dante can't hardly move, at this stage all he is is a VERY big target to hit

I think with nick saban not pushing him to go before he is ready, Daunte can heal and be ready to play. But the Raiders are not going to be amazing right away, they have a good D but no offense, i say draft Russell and start rebuilding the O.

bison95
April 27th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Charlie Weiss is overrated, as is Quinn.
Come on Jon, it's not just Charles and Brady.... it is the whole Notre Dame program that are overratedxthumbsupx

Cobblestone
April 27th, 2007, 01:05 PM
I think Weiss did a good job developing both Brady dudes... Tom and Quinn.

UNHWildCats
April 27th, 2007, 01:43 PM
They need to go QB and Quinn is the safer pick of the 2. They should trade down though to #3 and take Quinn there.

ucdtim17
April 27th, 2007, 02:12 PM
The best predictor of NFL success in first round QB's is number of college starts. Brady is more prepared than anyone else and is as close to a sure thing as it gets. It should be Brady but Al Davis being Al Davis will take the flavor of the month Russell.

And it's Weis, not Weiss

Fresno St. Alum
April 27th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Russell unless, Oakland somehow gets Culpepper before the draft tomorrow.

seantaylor
April 27th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Quinn will be the better QB. Russell hasn't really played that much, and his numbers in big games weren't that good either.

Peems
April 27th, 2007, 07:30 PM
i kinda have a feeling that russell will be a bust.

GeauxLions94
April 27th, 2007, 08:21 PM

He might be, but he can throw the ball a friggin mile! xnodx

ngineer
April 27th, 2007, 08:25 PM
I think it will be Russell so long as it's Oakland.

ngineer
April 27th, 2007, 08:27 PM

Hey, we're talking Jamarcus Russell....NOT Jane Russell!!;) :D

How many on this Board won't even know who I'm talking about??? I'm dating myselfxoopsx

Ivytalk
April 27th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Hey, we're talking Jamarcus Russell....NOT Jane Russell!!;) :D

How many on this Board won't even know who I'm talking about??? I'm dating myselfxoopsx

She was the "full figured girl" in the bra commercial, ng! Also old movie star. And you're not that much older than I am!;)

ngineer
April 27th, 2007, 08:58 PM
She was the "full figured girl" in the bra commercial, ng! Also old movie star. And you're not that much older than I am!;)

ah yes...I remember "THEM" well....;) :D

appfan2008
April 27th, 2007, 09:18 PM
I voted for russell bc i believe that is what will happen... but i do not think that is what should happen... i think quinn should be number one and johnson 2... johnson is more of the sure thing but i would never take a wr first... i agree with others that russell has plenty of potential to be a bust

Peems
April 27th, 2007, 09:18 PM
for you old fogies:p

http://www.hollywoodcollectorshow.com/JaneRussell.jpg

ucdtim17
April 27th, 2007, 10:09 PM
He might be, but he can throw the ball a friggin mile! xnodx

Who are the best QB's in the NFL now? Brady, Manning, Brees, Hasselbeck?? Why are they good? Because they can throw the ball 80 yards sitting on their butt? No - they're smart and know how to read defenses and make quick adjustments. Everyone is in love with Russell because he can throw the ball a mile but there have been plenty of QB's that light up GMs' eyes with their arm but crash and burn in the NFL. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a 4 year starter, with the amount of college success that Brady Quinn has had on the biggest stage possible, that has crashed and burned in the NFL. All this is just like the Manning vs. Leaf lead-in the to the draft. The knock on Manning was that he couldn't win the big game while everyone fell in love with Leaf's arm. We all know how that turned out

seantaylor
April 28th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Who are the best QB's in the NFL now? Brady, Manning, Brees, Hasselbeck?? Why are they good? Because they can throw the ball 80 yards sitting on their butt? No - they're smart and know how to read defenses and make quick adjustments. Everyone is in love with Russell because he can throw the ball a mile but there have been plenty of QB's that light up GMs' eyes with their arm but crash and burn in the NFL. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a 4 year starter, with the amount of college success that Brady Quinn has had on the biggest stage possible, that has crashed and burned in the NFL. All this is just like the Manning vs. Leaf lead-in the to the draft. The knock on Manning was that he couldn't win the big game while everyone fell in love with Leaf's arm. We all know how that turned out

Carson Palmer also has to be on that list.

Mr. C
April 28th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Folks, JaMarcus Russell will be a star in the NFL within three years. Having seen him in person, you can't help but like his physical ability. But he is also a competitor and showed a lot of leadership ability on the field. He isn't CLOSE to being a Ryan Leaf. Everything I've heard about Russell is he is a great kid. I think it's 50-50 if not worse that Brady Quinn turns out to be a bust (not talking about Jane Russell of 18-hour bra fame here). If Quinn wasn't from Notre Dame, he might not even be a No. 1 pick. I see this guy and keep thinking Heath Shuler. BTW, did everyone forget the last time we saw these two on the field of battle? Wasn't it Russell's team beating the crap out of Brady Quinn and Notre Dame?

UNHWildCats
April 28th, 2007, 12:34 AM
Perhaps, but LSU had better talent as well.

Notre Dames issue was on defense and a lack of a consistant running game.

If they know your gonna pass every down even the worst defenses are gonna stop ya

ucdtim17
April 28th, 2007, 01:04 AM
Carson Palmer also has to be on that list.

He has a hell of an arm, but he was also a 4 year starter at a top school like BQ. He floundered under a poor coach and became a star under Caroll/Chow, like BQ under Weis

ucdtim17
April 28th, 2007, 01:25 AM
Folks, JaMarcus Russell will be a star in the NFL within three years. Having seen him in person, you can't help but like his physical ability. But he is also a competitor and showed a lot of leadership ability on the field. He isn't CLOSE to being a Ryan Leaf. Everything I've heard about Russell is he is a great kid. I think it's 50-50 if not worse that Brady Quinn turns out to be a bust (not talking about Jane Russell of 18-hour bra fame here). If Quinn wasn't from Notre Dame, he might not even be a No. 1 pick. I see this guy and keep thinking Heath Shuler. BTW, did everyone forget the last time we saw these two on the field of battle? Wasn't it Russell's team beating the crap out of Brady Quinn and Notre Dame?

You couldn't help but like Ryan Leaf's physical ability as well. Russell may be a "great kid" but 3 years at LSU "majoring" in "general studies" is not the same as (and significantly less than) graduating in 3 and a half years from Notre Dame with a double major in finance and poly sci (which no one talks about). Quinn has been under the biggest spotlight in college football for four years and by all accounts is a great leader with impeccable character. He's almost too perfect.

And since when is football a one-on-one game? As I mentioned in this thread or another, it was Russell vs. the 65th rated defense and Quinn vs. the 3rd rated defense with a crappy O-line. It takes about 4 seconds of google work to figure this stuff out but amazingly most of the talking heads don't let these details get in the way of a good story. "He can throw the ball 50 yards from his butt!!"

Russell may turn out to be a great player, but Quinn is as sure a thing as it gets.

ucdtim17
April 28th, 2007, 01:58 AM
As Steve Young just said, Brady Quinn is the complete package and the player most ready to play at the next level. Nice to see he has one talking head on his side

Fresno St. Alum
April 29th, 2007, 02:10 AM
Was there ever any doubt the Raiders would pick Russell. I think not.