PDA

View Full Version : UConn adds Central Connecticut, Lafayette to future schedules

aceinthehole
June 28th, 2019, 11:34 AM
Per FBSCHEDULES.com

https://fbschedules.com/uconn-adds-central-connecticut-lafayette-to-future-football-schedules/

The UConn Huskies have added games against the Central Connecticut Blue Devils and the Lafayette Leopards to their future football schedules, FBSchedules.com has learned.

Copies of contracts for two games each with both Central Connecticut and Lafayette were obtained from the University of Connecticut via a state public records request.

UConn will host Central Connecticut at Rentschler Field in East Hartford on Sept. 3, 2022 and then again three seasons later on Aug. 30, 2025. The Huskies will pay the Blue Devils guarantees of $275,000 for both the 2022 and 2025 contests, according to the copies of the contracts.

In their most recent meeting in 1995, UConn defeated Central Connecticut 54-9. The Huskies also defeated the Blue Devils in 1986 and 1989 and lead the overall series 3-0.

The Lafayette Leopards will travel to East Hartford to take on UConn on Sept. 9, 2023 and Sept. 5, 2026. UConn will pay Lafayette a $285,000 guarantee for the contest in 2023 and $300,000 for the contest in 2026, per the contract copy.

In their first and only meeting on the gridiron back in 1984, UConn traveled to Easton, Pennsylvania, and fell to the Leopards 20-13.

Yesterday, the UConn Huskies officially announced that they will depart the American Athletic Conference following the 2019-20 season. The Huskies will return to the Big East Conference next summer in all sports except football, where they will most likely compete as a Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) Independent.

The scheduling of games with Central Connecticut and Lafayette, although not out of the ordinary, likely comes as the Huskies prepare for football independence. The Lafayette contract was executed in late April, while the Central Connecticut contracts were executed only eight days ago.

Sader87
June 28th, 2019, 02:42 PM
....and so it begins.... :)
I really don't think it's that far-fetched to see fellow BE schools UConn and Villanova joining Georgetown in the PL for football in like 5-7 years.

aceinthehole
June 28th, 2019, 05:38 PM
....and so it begins.... :)
I really don't think it's that far-fetched to see fellow BE schools UConn and Villanova joining Georgetown in the PL for football in like 5-7 years.

100% disagree about UConn.

When the Huskies can no longer to afford pay a $300k guarantee for home football game against Lafayette, they will drop the sport and focus even more resources on basketball and ice hockey. They aren't sending their football team to Easton ever again - they don't have the stomach for that anymore. Do your really see UConn ever playing a road game at Multi-Sport Field on the campus of Georgetown? Yale won't even do that.

DFW HOYA
June 28th, 2019, 07:04 PM
Do your really see UConn ever playing a road game at Multi-Sport Field on the campus of Georgetown? Yale won't even do that.

Will anyone schedule the Hoyas, or do they need to drop to a six or seven game season?

Son of Eli
June 29th, 2019, 02:13 PM
Will anyone schedule the Hoyas, or do they need to drop to a six or seven game season?

Brown just announced a four game series with a Georgetown

Son of Eli
June 29th, 2019, 02:26 PM
I would really love to see Yale play UConn again in football, but the stupid bowl counter rules are getting in the way. The game should qualify for the historical game waiver given the annual series between Yale and UConn lasted over four decades from the 50’s to the 90’s.

van
June 29th, 2019, 02:32 PM
given the endowment, I would think Yale has enough equivalencies to be a counter

Sader87
June 29th, 2019, 06:07 PM
Yale-UConn should happen every year...ridiculous it doesn't

bulldog10jw
June 29th, 2019, 08:25 PM

What about Holy Cross/Boston College?

Sader87
June 29th, 2019, 09:19 PM
Holy Cross-BC is happening again, just not annually...great crowd/atmosphere last year, playing again in 2020 with talks of more games after that.

Point being, games like UConn-Yale and HC-BC have more appeal than most of the games that schools like BC and UCONN now play due to new leagues, $$$ etc...I know thats the reality today but a lot of the appeal of college football has been lost in the process.

caribbeanhen
June 29th, 2019, 09:57 PM
You guys can have Connecticut, dreary vibe up here :(:(:(

DFW HOYA
June 29th, 2019, 10:33 PM

Georgetown-Villanova should happen every year...ridiculous it doesn't

bonarae
June 30th, 2019, 12:37 AM

Ditto for Harvard-UMass? xchinscratchx

PAllen
June 30th, 2019, 12:54 AM
Army, Navy, UConn, UMass, Temple, Nova join a scheduling agreement with each other and the Ivy League for early OOC games?

CenMEBlackBearFan
June 30th, 2019, 09:10 AM

This New England rivalry will actually draw a good crowd unlike the other ones mentioned. Would expect 30-40K. Saw one of these games in the late 60's early 70's and it was a big thing then and would be now as well.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
June 30th, 2019, 11:04 AM
Army, Navy, UConn, UMass, Temple, Nova join a scheduling agreement with each other and the Ivy League for early OOC games?

Temple traditionally likes to play a very regional-centric OOC (Army, Boston College, Buffalo, Charlotte, Maryland, Penn State). Especially when it comes to FCS ('Nova, Delaware State, Stony Brook, Bucknell, Fordham) games. I could see us willing play those schools on a rotating basis. A game against Penn and or Princeton would be fun. Hell, a road game against those two opponents would be fun!

PAllen
July 1st, 2019, 07:21 AM

I wasn't very clear above. What I meant was a scheduling agreement (think conference but without bothering the NCAA) with an Ivy arrangement for ooc games.

centraljerseycat
July 1st, 2019, 09:14 AM

Would love to see this happen. Villanova has played every Patriot League school except Georgetown since football was restored in '85.

UNHWildcat18
July 1st, 2019, 01:09 PM
No offense but maybe if Georgetown didn't have such an embarrassment of a program and facilities Nova would actually play them.

DFW HOYA
July 1st, 2019, 01:12 PM
No offense but maybe if Georgetown didn't have such an embarrassment of a program and facilities Nova would actually play them.

Last I checked, a 5-6 record wasn't an embarrassment.

UNHWildcat18
July 1st, 2019, 01:52 PM
Last I checked, a 5-6 record wasn't an embarrassment.

When was the last time you won the PL? Are you offering 60 schollies like the other PL schools? How is a school as prominent as yours in terms of athletics and academics have a rent a high school stadium as a home field? I'm really not trying to be mean, just baffled by Georgetowns lack of giving a **** for their FB program. I am surprised they didn't just drop it and put the money towards mens BBALL

DFW HOYA
July 1st, 2019, 02:16 PM
When was the last time you won the PL? Are you offering 60 schollies like the other PL schools? How is a school as prominent as yours in terms of athletics and academics have a rent a high school stadium as a home field? I'm really not trying to be mean, just baffled by Georgetowns lack of giving a **** for their FB program. I am surprised they didn't just drop it and put the money towards mens BBALL

1. Georgetown has not won the PL since joining in 2001, Then, again, Bucknell has not won it since 1996.

2. Georgetown does not offer scholarships because, well, it gets complicated. The (very) simplified answer is that it does not offer scholarships in non-Big East sports and just 60 across all 14 men's sports, period. the justification to spend another $4 million a year (double for Title IX) hasn't been made. If this was the CAA, maybe, but it's the Patriot League.

3. It does not rent a high school stadium. There is insufficient land on the campus for anything but a minimal footprint, which is what they have.

Georgetown's football budget is comparable to Dartmouth and Brown. That may be insufficient but that's what they have to work with. Basketball does not need any more money at Georgetown.

Model Citizen
July 1st, 2019, 02:39 PM

ANY team in the Pioneer would schedule Georgetown. So they have scheduled Marist, Davidson, and Dayton recently. What about Butler (played 20 years ago), San Diego, (almost 20), or the other half of the PFL (never played)?

I hope you were not speaking for the head coach or athletic director when you listed your reasons why most PFL teams would be unacceptable. If the administrators share your sentiments, then this isn't a case of no one scheduling the Hoyas...it's about the Hoyas not wanting to accept available D-I games.

Sader87
July 1st, 2019, 02:42 PM
Yeah...Butler seems like a no brainah given the BE ties

DFW HOYA
July 1st, 2019, 05:37 PM
ANY team in the Pioneer would schedule Georgetown. So they have scheduled Marist, Davidson, and Dayton recently. What about Butler (played 20 years ago), San Diego, (almost 20), or the other half of the PFL (never played)?

Nothing in writin, but it seems that Georgetown observes a 400 mile radius when it comes to scheduling. With three exceptions in the last 15 years (Dartmouth the most recent), every road game is basically in the same radius. However arcane that sounds, it's not altogether unusual--there was a time where Harvard went decades without going south of Philadelphia except for a pair of games with William & Mary.

There are enough schools in the East that Georgetown doesn't have to travel to Des Moines or Morehead or Jacksonville to make ends meet. The problem (and it's on both sides, by the way) is that the "non-scholarship" tag shuts off too many games. Lafayette or Bucknell get much better opponents and I would rightly argue that Georgetown is as good or better than these teams right now, and not far behind Holy Cross, who can hold their own with some really good teams that wouldn't ever look Georgetown's way.

That having been said, Georgetown is not in the Pioneer Football League and has had no interest in such for 25 years. It can play a PFL team from time to time but it should not playing two or three, either. Georgetown doesn't have to play UConn and Temple to justify its schedule but some combination of a PFL, an NEC, an Ivy, a CAA and a wild card a year (VMI, Howard, etc.) would be appropriate. A Division III team isn't appropriate.

An eight game PL schedule would be even better, but that's for another discussion.

Model Citizen
July 1st, 2019, 06:06 PM
The problem (and it's on both sides, by the way) is that the "non-scholarship" tag shuts off too many games.

I was not aware of the shut off phenomenon. Maybe it's a thing with "non-scholarship" teams like yours. Not so much with actual non-scholarship teams in the Pioneer. Drake recently played South Dakota State and Iowa State. North Dakota, SDSU (again), and North Dakota State are on deck. Honestly, Drake would simply like an ooc breather without having to play a D-II team.

van
July 1st, 2019, 06:25 PM
doesn't seem to affect the non-scholarship Ivies

NY Crusader 2010
July 1st, 2019, 07:57 PM
If Villanova and Georgetown had played an annual football game every year dating back to, say 1995, the series would have been just as lopsided as if Holy Cross had played BC in an annual game during this time.

HOWEVER with the Talley era now over and Georgetown becoming SOMEWHAT respectable of late, a series might not be a bad idea.

NY Crusader 2010
July 1st, 2019, 08:09 PM
I would really love to see Yale play UConn again in football, but the stupid bowl counter rules are getting in the way. The game should qualify for the historical game waiver given the annual series between Yale and UConn lasted over four decades from the 50’s to the 90’s.

In December 2014 I was at the Army-UConn football game at Yankee Stadium. Sat in the middle of a UConn cheering section with my best friend from HS who's a West Point grad and was a captain in the Army at the time. Earlier that year, Yale beat the Cadets in New Haven. So naturally when Army sealed the win over UConn with an INT inside the 5 yard line (returned for a TD IIRC), I started a "Yale was better" chant along with several Army guys in our group.

Yale-UCONN is a game that should happen at least every couple of years now. Let's see.