PDA

View Full Version : First-time playoff-eligible teams making it in 2019?

bonarae
June 20th, 2019, 09:35 PM
This STATS article hints at five possible such teams making the playoffs for the first time ever in their FCS lives: Drake, Austin Peay, ACU, Georgetown and Mercer. Could there be others in the mix?

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20190619110857817025904

JSUSoutherner
June 21st, 2019, 12:22 AM
Austin Peay isn't making the playoffs

Mike296
June 21st, 2019, 01:54 AM
This STATS article hints at five possible such teams making the playoffs for the first time ever in their FCS lives: Drake, Austin Peay, ACU, Georgetown and Mercer. Could there be others in the mix?

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20190619110857817025904

I’m sorry but whoever made this article is out of their damn mind if they think we have any chance in hell at making the playoffs. Hell I honestly wouldn’t be surprised to go winless after the coaching change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reign of Terrier
June 21st, 2019, 09:35 AM
I wouldn't put it past Mercer. They are regularly a very good team who has had some unlucky breaks. The Socon has so much parity, all they need is some good luck and they'll get it done.

Catatonic
June 21st, 2019, 11:35 AM
Abilene Christian has the deepest, most talented team in its brief FCS history. Trouble is, a lot of other teams in the Southland have upped their game and the Wildcats play four conference contenders on the road. Making it to the playoffs will be a challenge.

TheKingpin28
June 21st, 2019, 04:42 PM
Abilene Christian has the deepest, most talented team in its brief FCS history. Trouble is, a lot of other teams in the Southland have upped their game and the Wildcats play four conference contenders on the road. Making it to the playoffs will be a challenge.

But how dangerous are they?

Catatonic
June 21st, 2019, 06:46 PM

We badder than ole King Kong

Meaner than a junk yard dog

Laker
June 21st, 2019, 08:26 PM
We badder than ole King Kong

Meaner than a junk yard dog

OK Cat- is that a Georgia reference? :D Or do you feel like some Jim Croce tonight?

Catatonic
June 21st, 2019, 10:26 PM
OK Cat- is that a Georgia reference? :D Or do you feel like some Jim Croce tonight?

a Georgia reference would have been spelled Dawg

Laker
June 21st, 2019, 10:40 PM
a Georgia reference would have been spelled Dawg

A Swede would have pronounced it "Yunk Yard".

FUBeAR
June 21st, 2019, 10:48 PM
I wouldn't put it past Mercer. They are regularly a very good team who has had some unlucky breaks. The Socon has so much parity, all they need is some good luck and they'll get it done.
IF Riddle (QB) stays healthy & Devezin (RB) does what he showed he could do last year, and a couple of wideouts, who have shown great potential, step up a bit, along with 1 or 2 OLmen in that same category...AND, MOST IMPORTANTLY, the Defense doesn’t give up explosive plays (in bunches) like they did last year (New DC might help...hopefully), the Bears will be in the mix...definitely...

IF...

dgtw
June 22nd, 2019, 06:04 AM
How many of the current FCS members have never been to the playoffs as a FCS member?

Catatonic
June 22nd, 2019, 06:29 AM
How many of the current FCS members have never been to the playoffs as a FCS member?

Excellent question.

Catatonic
June 22nd, 2019, 06:39 AM

ok, Having amused myself with a flippant response....I’ll move on....

How dangerous? Dangerous enough to beat any FCS team on their schedule and score some points on the two FBS teams they face. For example, last year they scored 28 points on Baylor in a losing effort. They return most every skill position player this year.

They beat SLC co champ Nicholls 23-10 by dominating the line of scrimmage. I can’t guarantee the defense will sack Nicholls all everything QB Fourcade 5 times again this year, but the fact is Nicholls lost four starters off their offensive line and Abilene Christian returns 6 of the front seven responsible for wreaking havoc in their backfield a year ago.

i like our chances of improving on last year’s 6-5 record.

Laker
June 22nd, 2019, 09:31 AM
Left out the question that I was trying to answer. See below.

Milktruck74
June 22nd, 2019, 09:55 AM
The Title of the article could actually read "5 teams that are good enough to make the playoffs, but won't due to their record" As was stated above about ACU (and I could lump mercer and probably APSU), they could beat any FCS team on their schedule, but could also end the season with 3 wins.

Laker
June 22nd, 2019, 10:07 AM

Besides those listed in the first post, how about these:

Bryant
Bucknell
Campbell
Gardner Webb
Jacksonville
LIU (first year)
Marist
Northern Colorado
Presbyterian
Sacramento State
Stetson
Valpo
VMI

Let me know if I missed someone or if someone listed made the playoffs. I didn't include leagues who don't participate in the playoffs.

Catatonic
June 22nd, 2019, 12:19 PM
The Title of the article could actually read "5 teams that are good enough to make the playoffs, but won't due to their record" As was stated above about ACU (and I could lump mercer and probably APSU), they could beat any FCS team on their schedule, but could also end the season with 3 wins.

The same could be said of any of our opponents. If I had to guess I’d say Abilene will win 8 games this year, following 2 and 6 win seasons. Whether that’s good enough to make the playoffs is another question entirely.

TheKingpin28
June 22nd, 2019, 12:34 PM
ok, Having amused myself with a flippant response....I’ll move on....

How dangerous? Dangerous enough to beat any FCS team on their schedule and score some points on the two FBS teams they face. For example, last year they scored 28 points on Baylor in a losing effort. They return most every skill position player this year.

They beat SLC co champ Nicholls 23-10 by dominating the line of scrimmage. I can’t guarantee the defense will sack Nicholls all everything QB Fourcade 5 times again this year, but the fact is Nicholls lost four starters off their offensive line and Abilene Christian returns 6 of the front seven responsible for wreaking havoc in their backfield a year ago.

i like our chances of improving on last year’s 6-5 record.I did enjoy your first reponse.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

DFW HOYA
June 22nd, 2019, 01:46 PM
Per Wikipedia, and excepting the Ivies, the non-participant to date are 30, as follows:

No appearances
Big Sky Conference – Northern Colorado, Sacramento State
Big South Conference – Campbell, Gardner-Webb, North Alabama, Presbyterian
Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference – North Carolina Central
Northeast Conference – Bryant, LIU, Merrimack
Ohio Valley Conference – Austin Peay
Patriot League – Bucknell, Georgetown
Pioneer Football League – Davidson, Drake, Jacksonville, Marist, Morehead State, Stetson, Valparaiso
Southern Conference – Mercer, VMI
Southland Conference – Abilene Christian, Houston Baptist
Southwestern Athletic Conference – Alabama A&M, Alabama State, Arkansas–Pine Bluff, Prairie View A&M, Southern, Texas Southern

Of these, Bucknell and VMI have waited the longest since the subdivision was formed.

Catatonic
June 22nd, 2019, 06:18 PM

speaking of a Georgia reference. Dawgs like the James Brown version. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YViDwVBpTn4

Laker
June 22nd, 2019, 06:24 PM
speaking of a Georgia reference. Dawgs like the James Brown version.

If I tried to do the splits like JB they would have to call 911.

The NFL can't compare to college football in tradition and pagentry for me.

Catatonic
June 22nd, 2019, 06:51 PM
If I tried to do the splits like JB they would have to call 911.

The NFL can't compare to college football in tradition and pagentry for me.

The FCS connection: Several good shots of FCS legendary coach Coach Erk Russell (Ga Southern) on the sideline during his days as the Dawgs Defensive Coordinator.